Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden now a 40% betting chance of winning WH2 – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,903

Stocky said:

@Stocky - Yes, this is exactly how children’s social care works right now. You can look into County Council minutes and accounts. The sums are eye-watering.

One of the smartest things Oxfordshire County Council’s rainbow alliance administration is doing, entirely unremarked by the work experience rejects that pass for the local press, is quietly buying up residential properties in villages to convert into children’s homes like this. The RoI is immense.

Thanks for this.

Do you mean actually buying the freeholds and leaving empty until required? With knowledge that planning (change of use) will be granted?

Staffed by council care workers or contracted-in from private sector?

Why villages rather than more urbanised locations?
    Council care workers. They don’t need to leave them empty for long - so many children are currently being housed out of county in private facilities, and can just be brought back in to the council’s newly opened home, with the attendant massive savings. Planning permission isn’t an issue in practice.

I don’t know why villages but two guesses. Villages are by and large cheaper than Oxford itself. I suspect it’s also a more calming environment than some of the cheaper market towns.
    Stop being a fuckwit the costs have been spelled out for you 250k a year per child....you really think that is reasonable?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,065
    A

Stocky said:

@Stocky - Yes, this is exactly how children’s social care works right now. You can look into County Council minutes and accounts. The sums are eye-watering.

One of the smartest things Oxfordshire County Council’s rainbow alliance administration is doing, entirely unremarked by the work experience rejects that pass for the local press, is quietly buying up residential properties in villages to convert into children’s homes like this. The RoI is immense.

Thanks for this.

Do you mean actually buying the freeholds and leaving empty until required? With knowledge that planning (change of use) will be granted?

Council care workers. They don’t need to leave them empty for long - so many children are currently being housed out of county in private facilities, and can just be brought back in to the council’s newly opened home, with the attendant massive savings. Planning permission isn’t an issue in practice.

I don’t know why villages but two guesses. Villages are by and large cheaper than Oxford itself. I suspect it’s also a more calming environment than some of the cheaper market towns.
    Bicester back in the day :-) Much posher now.

I would suspect that they are looking at places which don’t work for commuting. The prices drop off sharply once it’s more than 2 hours to a desk in London.

• Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's so depressing on here this evening. Apart from @Leon's exciting trip to the Maldives,of course.

I’m doing my best to keep spirits up

I may also be off to Australia for a free tour of the national parks around Sydney, if that helps the mood improve?
    No, sorry, the Maldives is the pinnacle this evening. So far.
    This is the view from my holiday cottage.

OOOOH, that's a tasty challenge, Where is that?

Clearly volcanic. yet green, yet also a tad bleak, and it's on the coast, but with apparently warm sun and another islet in the background. Slightly basic housing, but that could mean its simply exposed to harsh/shit weather so the buildings are forced to be utilitarian

So it could be one of:

Iceland
    Canaries
    Aeolians
    even Hawaii
    Azores?

Without Google "imaging", I'm gonna go with a remoter area of the Canaries, on the west coast, hence the sunset and the greenery coz it gets more rain

West Coast Ireland
    Is it ever THAT volcanic? Or, indeed, sunny? That does NOT look like Connemara or Kerry, at all, to me

Chapeau if you've nailed it. I have my doubts
    Not west coast of Ireland.

It was a current picture. Yes there is old lava flows out to sea.
    Is it basque country?

NOO THREAD BTW
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,440

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's so depressing on here this evening. Apart from @Leon's exciting trip to the Maldives,of course.

I may also be off to Australia for a free tour of the national parks around Sydney, if that helps the mood improve?

Clearly volcanic. yet green, yet also a tad bleak, and it's on the coast, but with apparently warm sun and another islet in the background. Slightly basic housing, but that could mean its simply exposed to harsh/shit weather so the buildings are forced to be utilitarian

So it could be one of:

Iceland
    Canaries
    Aeolians
    even Hawaii
    Azores?

Without Google "imaging", I'm gonna go with a remoter area of the Canaries, on the west coast, hence the sunset and the greenery coz it gets more rain

West Coast Ireland
    Is it ever THAT volcanic? Or, indeed, sunny? That does NOT look like Connemara or Kerry, at all, to me

Most westerly village in Europe.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,763
    This thread has

gone on holiday to the Maldives.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,948
    Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Thanks for this.

Stop being a fuckwit the costs have been spelled out for you 250k a year per child....you really think that is reasonable?
    Even for the most arrant mouth-breather on this site, and notwithstanding you’ve missed the point of the exercise by 180°, that tone is completely unnecessary.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,065
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Please explain how the roi is immense. It sounds like the child is costing the council 250K a year...thats a huge amount of money to make back if they are there 10 years.....it means the child needs to save the state 2.5 mill
    If the council own them the money isn't going to the private profiteers, so there is a substantial saving.
    The case stated said they were renting it try again
    If the council is renting it, they aren't paying a private care company.
    They are still paying 250k a child...how do you justify that?
    It is a legal obligation.

Not helped by gross underfunding of children's secure residential homes over the years, and often closures because of various abuse and grooming scandals.
    Then that legal obligation has to fucking change, why should people who struggle to feed there children, house their children be forced to contribute to this?

Go on justify it most people with kids struggle as I did and often had to do without but there tax money is funding kids having 250k a year on them and you wonder why we say fuck you?
    Sure, I too would far prefer to spend money on Surestart centres, Child and Adolescent Mental Health services, support for parents etc. Otherwise the costs come later and the outcomes worse.
    Dont give me that shit, these kids are probably more victims of parents and none of those would work. Don't get me wrong I have sympathy for the kids. I just think 250k per child most would go no fuck off and die I am not paying my taxes for that....maybe 25k
    What about expensive medical treatment for people? Want to cap this too?
    Yes of course. We already do don't we? You can't have unlimited state funding.
    But we don't have a per person cap. This is not how we roll.
    We absolutely do I think nice caps treatement at 20000k
    £20 million?
    sorry I meant 20k
    There are huge amounts of medical stuff that cost more than £20k a year per person… are you sure?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,382
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

Also, what kind of imbecile country would give up its independent nuclear deterrent with the prospect of Trump 2.0 in the White House in 2024? Can any nation in NATO really be sure of the American nuke umbrella under Trump?

Ok he might defend the UK because of his golf courses in Scotland or whatever but still. I’d be much less sure if I was Estonian or German or Bulgarian. Indeed I’m fairly certain Trump would NOT defend them

We gave up our independent nuclear deterrent a long time ago, when we went for Polaris.
    Not in terms of our own self defence if say the Russians nuked us, we could still respond with a Trident on Moscow launched from a sub
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So it could be one of:

Iceland
    Canaries
    Aeolians
    even Hawaii
    Azores?

West Coast Ireland

It's clearly very wet to get that greenery, rocks look granite or basalt, houses are typically n Europe/GB ish, and painted white like we do not mustard and rust like the scandis
    I'm feeling that the road should be a giveaway. It looks cobbled.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Please explain how the roi is immense. It sounds like the child is costing the council 250K a year...thats a huge amount of money to make back if they are there 10 years.....it means the child needs to save the state 2.5 mill
    If the council own them the money isn't going to the private profiteers, so there is a substantial saving.

Not helped by gross underfunding of children's secure residential homes over the years, and often closures because of various abuse and grooming scandals.
    Then that legal obligation has to fucking change, why should people who struggle to feed there children, house their children be forced to contribute to this?

Go on justify it most people with kids struggle as I did and often had to do without but there tax money is funding kids having 250k a year on them and you wonder why we say fuck you?
    Sure, I too would far prefer to spend money on Surestart centres, Child and Adolescent Mental Health services, support for parents etc. Otherwise the costs come later and the outcomes worse.
    Dont give me that shit, these kids are probably more victims of parents and none of those would work. Don't get me wrong I have sympathy for the kids. I just think 250k per child most would go no fuck off and die I am not paying my taxes for that....maybe 25k
    £20 million?
    sorry I meant 20k
    There are huge amounts of medical stuff that cost more than £20k a year per person… are you sure?
    Nice sets qualy at about 20k I believe if its going to extend your life by 2 years and it costs 50k you dont get it
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Thanks for this.

Even for the most arrant mouth-breather on this site, and notwithstanding you’ve missed the point of the exercise by 180°, that tone is completely unnecessary.
    Really do fuck off if you think the average tax payer should fund more for a kid in care by a factor of 10 than they could give their own child. The only mouth breather here is you
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,275

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So it could be one of:

Iceland
    Canaries
    Aeolians
    even Hawaii
    Azores?

West Coast Ireland

Antrim, I'd been thinking already.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,029
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Also, what kind of imbecile country would give up its independent nuclear deterrent with the prospect of Trump 2.0 in the White House in 2024? Can any nation in NATO really be sure of the American nuke umbrella under Trump?

Ok he might defend the UK because of his golf courses in Scotland or whatever but still. I’d be much less sure if I was Estonian or German or Bulgarian. Indeed I’m fairly certain Trump would NOT defend them

We gave up our independent nuclear deterrent a long time ago, when we went for Polaris.
    Not in terms of our own self defence if say the Russians nuked us, we could still respond with a Trident on Moscow launched from a sub
    Well, that's reassuring.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,122
    edited August 2023
    ClippP said:

Would be even cheaper to grant themselves planning permission and build custom. Why not?
    County Councils are not normally planning authorities.
    Depends. Northumberland County Council is a unitary authority and therefore is a planning authority (save for Northumberland National Park which has its own planning authority). I appreciate that it doesn't apply in this case.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,575
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

There isn't a £20k cap on the public money going on any specific person's medical needs. Lots of people get get way more than that spent on their treatment(s).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,575
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

It’s totally unjustifiable. The whole welfare state/endless migration house of cards is gonna collapse this decade
    To put it in to context £250k the total income tax paid by 33 working adults that earn £50k per year.
    How about doing the same calc for the money pissed away on our 'independent nuclear deterrent'?
    Yeah, because unilaterally giving up their nukes worked out REALLY well for Ukraine. Fuckwit
    What a yawny dim comment from a yawny dim individual.
    Why don't you try putting it in a manifesto, and see how the British public respond? I think we all know the answer, we all know how they'd respond, which is why Sir Kir Royale Starmer won't go within a fucking trillion miles of your tired, aged, virtue-signalling-lefty socially-nervous bullshit
    It's logic not pacifism or virtue-signalling. And a view shared by plenty on the right and in the military. But you do have one thing right - it wouldn't be popular and SKS won't even be thinking about it.
This discussion has been closed.