Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the LDs are using their by-election victories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited July 2023
    I've been told forward to apply for the Coutts CEO job.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

The closure of bank accounts belonging to racecourse bookmakers was described as a "scandal" by one MP yesterday as the reverberations over the shutting down of ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage's account spread to the betting industry.

Numerous racecourse bookmakers have revealed they have had accounts closed by banks without explanation. One bookmaker, Graham Thorpe, told the Racing Post he had had 11 accounts associated with him closed, including those of charities and organisations for which he was treasurer.

Farage has claimed his political views were part of the decision for his accounts being closed. Bookmakers believe banks are acting in their case as they are betting businesses that deal in large sums of cash.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/banks-closure-of-racecourse-bookmaker-accounts-described-as-a-scandal-aBBRQ8g1ArP4/

It is not just Farage, and not just woke. It's the AML rules making banks decide some customers are just too much hassle. Even if
    it is especially the unwoke ones.

No one mention FACTA

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    FarageCouttsGate is when the adolescent idiocy of Woke hits the adult reality of capitalism. The adults win
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,207

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

We had neighbours who were quite strict vegetarians and brought their children up that way as well. For some reason the school decided they were under-nourished and contacted Social Services who paid them a visit and told them that the kids needed to be offered meat and fish as well.

Pesky interfering state telling people how to feed their kids???? :D
    One of the most tiresome people I know is a strict vegan. She eats vegan. Her husband eats vegan. Her daughter eats vegan. Even the bloody dog eats vegan.

And trust me, if you're not careful, you will end up on the receiving end of a lecture on the evils of eating any kind of animal product.

But their daughter is not malnourished. She's a 13 year old, five foot eleven girl, who is super fit, and plays basketball at an extremely high level.

It is perfectly possible, so long as you are careful to make sure you eat foods fortified with Vitamin B12, to have a very healthy vegan diet.
    I have noticed that most vegans will tell you they are vegan in about the first 5 minutes of conversation :smile: and having known several, I have yet to see any of them sit down at the table look at their dinner plate and rub their hands together in anticipation of a delicious repast. They look at their plate more like a difficult task they need to get through.

I could be a veggie, but never a vegan.
    I recently flourished a ham biscuit at a vegetarian friend, and asked him IF that constituted a hate crime.

He replied, hell yes! But that he would NOT press charges IF yours truly refrained from throwing it at him.
    Correction - I brandished that biscuit, thus a possible criminal violation IF a ham biscuit is indeed a weapon.
    Very confusing on a British forum - by 'biscuit', you mean 'scone' yes? Never had a ham one. Had a cheese one.
    In USA, a scone is a (usually) triangular SWEET pastry. Whereas (our) biscuits are (generally) square or round, usually made from wheat.

American biscuits typically plain that is zero filling UNTIL the eater adds butter, jam and/or honey.

OR alternatively, a slice of meat, most typically ham. Thus ham biscuit!

However, the biscuit I brandished, actually had bits of ham baked into it, so a variation on the theme.
    Yes. Your biscuit then is almost exactly a scone (typically our scones are sweetened, but you'd always at least have butter, usually jam (your jelly) and clotted cream). We have savoury versions made with cheese. You'd usually just butter these. They're not typically sandwiched with ham or other fillings as possibly a bit too crumbly? Also too crumbly to cause much pain when thrown. If they even reach the victim whole.
    A biscuit here is a dry, compacted, crumbly affair. An American example of what we term a biscuit would be an Oero. We are a nation of biscuit lovers because they're ideal to dunk in tea.
    Your biscuit is our cookie. As in Cookie Monster.

(With due apology to Cookie.)
    Yes, they're similar but the American cookie is very special - we know them as large and a bit gooey in the middle, usually with chocolate chips. They'd be more of a treat for us, not something you'd have daily (or even a few times a day) with a cup of tea like a biscuit.

Biscuits are usually smaller and a little more basic. This is the archetypal British biscuit: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/24/chocolate-digestives-best-worst-taste-test-mcvities-supermarket-brands
    What you are calling "the American cookie" is just a KIND of cookie, NOT representative of all USA cookies.

Which CAN feature gooey chocolate chips . . . when warm (or warmed up).

My mom was a master cookie maker. My personal favorites were her Tollhouse cookies (with choc chips & chopped walnuts (not gooey unless hot from oven); and molasses cookies; others thought her best were her peanut butter cookies., which I never much liked (hers or anybody's).
    All sound good to me. :yum:

I don't know where or why the two languages diverged on this.
    Diverging culinary traditions.
    Cookie comes from the Dutch - so not difficult to explain.
    For biscuit I can only refer you to Wikipedia.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)

It's hardly a puzzle that the languages diverged, given the vastly different experiences with immigration over the last couple of centuries.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    I think Coutts has probably destroyed it's reputation forever with those who need a bit of discernment in their banking.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

100 partnership - in only 102 balls - between Brook and Ali.

Great to watch, but hope Moeen can keep up running. I guess you don’t need to run if you keep hitting the 4s and 6s.

That's why he's doing so, I presume.
    At some point he might consider retiring hurt if running us a real problem.

(Edit) that was a seriously poor comment as I'd looked away from the game fir a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Great to watch, but hope Moeen can keep up running. I guess you don’t need to run if you keep hitting the 4s and 6s.

Sadly, he solved that problem himself about five minutes ago.

Murphy to Moeen Ali, OUT
    Bowled him! Quicker, fuller, drifting into middle, Moeen heaves again across the line and it slides on the through the gate and crashes into middle and leg.
    Moeen Ali b Murphy 34 (47b 3x4 2x6) SR: 72.34
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Murphy to Moeen Ali, OUT
    Bowled him! Quicker, fuller, drifting into middle, Moeen heaves again across the line and it slides on the through the gate and crashes into middle and leg.
    Indeed.

I blame Luckguy's biscuits.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    Farage must be loving the attention he is getting for all this.*

*note I agree in principle that no one should be “de-banked” for their views
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Coutts has probably destroyed it's reputation forever with those who need a bit of discernment in their banking.

Can’t imagine there’s too many wealthy private bank customers this week thinking ‘I think I’ll move to Coutts’.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Jeez how much more ridiculous over the top coverage of Farage must we endure . I don’t fxcking care about his account .

You don’t care about someone being denied a service because of their political beliefs?
    The martyrdom of Farage ! What if someone was pro a terrorist organization. Should the bank be forced to open an account . Where do you draw the line.
    You, Sir, are a fucking idiot
    Hopefully they don't end up drawing the line beyond people who have angry, sweary online political meltdowns calling people scumbags etc., or Nico can kiss goodbye to his Halifax junior saver with free moneybox.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,002
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Murphy to Moeen Ali, OUT
    Indeed.

The current situation is one of those horrible ones that could go either way and where you scarcely dare check the score in case you jinx it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Murphy to Moeen Ali, OUT
    Indeed.

There's a 'S'gone' joke there somewhere.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Jeez how much more ridiculous over the top coverage of Farage must we endure . I don’t fxcking care about his account .

You don’t care about someone being denied a service because of their political beliefs?
    The martyrdom of Farage ! What if someone was pro a terrorist organization. Should the bank be forced to open an account . Where do you draw the line.
    Look in the mirror instead of slagging off others . Given some of the crud you come out with you’re the last person who should be criticizing others .
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Can’t imagine there’s too many wealthy private bank customers this week thinking ‘I think I’ll move to Coutts’.
    The King and the royals will remain with them.

The Prince of Wales accepted bags containing millions of euros in cash during meetings with a senior Qatari politician, according to a report.

Prince Charles was said to have been given a total of €3m (£2.6m) during meetings with Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al-Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar.

The cash was handed to the heir to the British throne in a suitcase on one occasion, a holdall on another, as well as in Fortnum & Mason carrier bags, the up-market department store which holds a royal warrant to supply the prince’s household with groceries.

The handovers are alleged to have occurred during meetings between the two men, including a private one-to-one meeting at Clarence House in 2015, it was claimed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/25/prince-charles-is-said-to-have-been-given-3m-in-qatari-cash
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198

"Dear Mr Coutts. I want job with bank. I count good and have shiny shuz. Can i hav lots of munny plz. XXX, @TSE (age 43 1/4)"
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    Pulpstar said:

Does nobody in Coutts understand what an audit trail is? Do Not Put It In Writing.

The Nigel lost his account because his wealth fell below the eligibility criteria. That is all they had to say. Instead we get all this guff about who he is with cut and paste web searches. None of which have any relevance because his wealth fell below their eligibility criteria. So why say it?
  • Options

Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Hopefully they don't end up drawing the line beyond people who have angry, sweary online political meltdowns calling people scumbags etc., or Nico can kiss goodbye to his Halifax junior saver with free moneybox.
    I liked your post because it was very witty . Given some of the things the media could be talking about I’m sure the majority of the public have had enough of this now tiresome banking saga .
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Dear Mr Coutts. I want job with bank. I count good and have shiny shuz. Can i hav lots of munny plz. XXX, @TSE (age 43 1/4)"
    Dear Mr Coutts I have been working in banking and financial services since 2011, particularly in the field of regulatory compliance. I feel my understated style is what Coutts needs right now.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Murphy to Moeen Ali, OUT
    Indeed.

The current situation is one of those horrible ones that could go either way and where you scarcely dare check the score in case you jinx it.
    I was just about to post that this feels like the crux of the game.
    Expect a rattle of wickets any time now.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,156

viewcode said:

Dear Mr Coutts I have been working in banking and financial services since 2011, particularly in the field of regulatory compliance. I feel my understated style is what Coutts needs right now.
    Yes, but what about *your* reputation? We worry for you.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039

That is wholly and entirely the point for him. Being de-banked was an absolute gift.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

While not looking for a new computer right now, how easier/hard is the shift from a Windows PC to a Mac (desktop or laptop)?

Astonishingly easy.

After decades on Windows with files all over the shop I thought “this’ll take a couple of days to transfer stuff across and get it organised”.

Not a bit of it - connected the two and within a couple of hours everything was across - and organised. Photos all in one place, documents all in another. Not spread out across multiple sub directories like on Windows.

My one regret was not having done it sooner.
    I haven't done more than a cursory tour so far. Looking at what the icons are in the dock, realising I'll never use most of them and removing them from the dock.

I'll do the migrate thing later but there isn't anything on here (windows machine) which isn't in the cloud. I don't tend to keep files on a machine because if its is lost or bricked then that is the file gone.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Look in the mirror instead of slagging off others . Give some of the crud you come out with you’re the last person who should be criticizing others .
    Huge "Taking Leon Seriously" Fail.

That said, when he comes back from Ukraine I have a bad feeling we'll be getting a lot of "when I was at war....." and "what do you know about anything, I was amongst the shelling, sipping ice cold martinis in the face of death..." type posts.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,466

In politics we always say 'events' and who could have seen this coming and Farage elevated by the media to his cause and apparently the left taking it very badly

Farage single handily has seen the resignation of Alison Rose and now the head of Coutts and has barely started his crusade

I have no idea where this goes politically but suddenly he is attracting all the headlines
  • Options

viewcode said:

Mine was better. It has kisses. :):):)
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Pulpstar said:

Who wants "discernment" in their banking any more than in, say, their electricity provider? The only point in a coutts account is to say I have more money than you. It's like wearing a Rolex in London, an invitation to the kidnap and ransom community.
  • Options
    NGL, this video made me cry a little.

Goodbye to the man who captained Liverpool every trophy going.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1684524029447901184
  • Options

You will last as long as nobody here breaks ranks with the Oppenheimer joke
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,193
    tlg86 said:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1684552103736246274

BREAKING: Coutts CEO Peter Flavel Resigns

Another one gone.

Skittles
    The remnants will soon be bowled over

• Options

Farage is a pathetic little sh*t, a snake-oil salesman who has conned loads of grifters and gullible fools into loving him. He has caused the country a great deal of harm.

As you might have guessed, I don't like him.

But that does not mean that the way he was treated by Coutts was right, and that he was wrong for publicising what happened to him. Wrong things happening to bad people are still wrong.

Coutts have made him into a victim; although by the way some talk about it, you would think he'd been martyred.

He is one of the most successful politicians of our generation. Irregardless of his views which I find ******, ********** and ***** ****.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Let’s be honest if this had been some leftie moaning about having a bank account closed we wouldn’t have seen all this fuss .

No 10 clearly decided it was good to please the Tories base support by coming to the aid of the stain on humanity Farage.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Slightly ironic that Liverpool are signalling their virtue with the rainbow colours in their picture.

Thomas Hitzlesperger isn't impressed with Henderson:

https://twitter.com/ThomasHitz/status/1684532990695596033

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz
    So Jordan Henderson finally gets his move to 🇸🇦. Fair play to him, he can play wherever he wants to play. Curious to know though how the new brand JH will look like. The old one is dead! I did believe for a while that his support for the 🏳️‍🌈 community would be genuine. Silly me…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

As others have noted, there is no shortage of premium personal banking services on the market. Coutts specific value was their perceived heritage and exclusivity, basically golf club bragging rights (hence the appeal to The Spiv). It's not their service. They are just a brand.

So, against the grain here, but I think this will actually help them in the longer term. The fact that they will bin off prominent people because they're not The Right Sort makes them more exclusive.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

You will last as long as nobody here breaks ranks with the Oppenheimer joke
    It's not even my worst Hiroshima joke.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Pulpstar said:

HMQ (God rest her soul) gave them all the brand they had.

That's now gone, and they've destroyed the rest.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

As others have noted, there is no shortage of premium personal banking services on the market. Coutts specific value was their perceived heritage and exclusivity, basically golf club bragging rights (hence the appeal to The Spiv). It's not their service. They are just a brand.

So, against the grain here, but I think this will actually help them in the longer term. The fact that they will bin off prominent people because they're not The Right Sort makes them more exclusive.
    Check out their adverts of late. Almost exclusively metropolitan, young, (carefree), types that wouldn't be out of place in a tampon advert. Many if not all of whom, I'm guessing, would be far, far short of the financial requirements to be a Coutts customer.

I mean they could all be influencers or OnlyFans stars but if they are just making their way through life like normal people, then no.

Coutts is not alone in rebranding itself to be relevant, inclusive, and diverse (check out their HQ on the Strand).

I'm sure, save for the resignations, that they can say "job done" with this whole Farage thing.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Slightly ironic that Liverpool are signalling their virtue with the rainbow colours in their picture.

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz
    So Jordan Henderson finally gets his move to 🇸🇦. Fair play to him, he can play wherever he wants to play. Curious to know though how the new brand JH will look like. The old one is dead! I did believe for a while that his support for the 🏳️‍🌈 community would be genuine. Silly me…
    It is genuine, I suspect he will still do things like the rainbow laces stuff.

I remember when Klopp told the Liverpool fans to stop singing homophobic chants about Chelsea players via an interview with a gay Liverpool fan.

It changed things so much.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

tlg86 said:

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz

I remember when Klopp told the Liverpool fans to stop singing homophobic chants about Chelsea players via an interview with a gay Liverpool fan.

Really ?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Check out their adverts of late. Almost exclusively metropolitan, young, (carefree), types that wouldn't be out of place in a tampon advert. Many if not all of whom, I'm guessing, would be far, far short of the financial requirements to be a Coutts customer.

I mean they could all be influencers or OnlyFans stars but if they are just making their way through life like normal people, then no.

Coutts is not alone in rebranding itself to be relevant, inclusive, and diverse (check out their HQ on the Strand).

I'm sure, save for the resignations, that they can say "job done" with this whole Farage thing.
    A tampon advert? Is that an obscure reference to HMKC?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz

Really ?
    At LFC at least. Klopp owns that club, what he says the fans do and chanting has stopped.
  • Options
    I agree with Carra.

The Saudis are coming and I fear for global football

Should prime-age players decide to swap top-level competition for Saudi cash then Europe's biggest clubs will have a problem

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/27/jamie-carragher-liverpool-jordan-henderson-saudi-transfer/
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

A tampon advert? Is that an obscure reference to HMKC?
    Aimed at folk before the age of menopause. Or the male equivalent (insofar as it exists, on which I have no idea).
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Let’s be honest if this had been some leftie moaning about having a bank account closed we wouldn’t have seen all this fuss .

No 10 clearly decided it was good to please the Tories base support by coming to the aid of the stain on humanity Farage.

You really do not understand that for many of us it would be the same if it had been Corbyn or any other politician we do not agree with

You simply cannot excuse the loss of trust and confidentiality by senior bankers who have resigned and not just with the PM's approval but also Starmer

• Options
    TOPPING said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Look in the mirror instead of slagging off others . Give some of the crud you come out with you’re the last person who should be criticizing others .

That said, when he comes back from Ukraine I have a bad feeling we'll be getting a lot of "when I was at war....." and "what do you know about anything, I was amongst the shelling, sipping ice cold martinis in the face of death..." type posts.
    The situation has seriously gone to shit if Lviv is being shelled.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

In politics we always say 'events' and who could have seen this coming and Farage elevated by the media to his cause and apparently the left taking it very badly

Farage single handily has seen the resignation of Alison Rose and now the head of Coutts and has barely started his crusade

I have no idea where this goes politically but suddenly he is attracting all the headlines
    I think after the immediate and obvious resignations it will quickly fade away.

And yes realise that claim is a hostage to fortune but a frisson of temporary excitement is hardly going to change the vast majority of opinions about Farage or bankers.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Another one gone.

Skittles

Not really.
    The Coutts CEO was always in the firing line.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz

Really ?
    No. This stuff is wholly performative and about social proof, nothing more.

Someone who really does it for real?

Peter Tatchell.

I don't particularly care for his politics, and i usually disagree with him, but boy you've got to respect him.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,111

I agree with Carra.

Should prime-age players decide to swap top-level competition for Saudi cash then Europe's biggest clubs will have a problem

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/27/jamie-carragher-liverpool-jordan-henderson-saudi-transfer/

£100m guaranteed over 3 years - keep out of the UK and it's tax free.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Of course. Why do you think I’m here??
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

tlg86 said:

Thomas Hitzlsperger
    @ThomasHitz

Perhaps Henderson and Gerrard should snog in the centre circle.
  • Options
    Russian sailor arrested in Sevastopol, with 1kg of explosives, accused of plotting to blow up a ship.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-july-russian-fsb-detained-serviceman-of-russian-black
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,193
    Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Another one gone.

Skittles

Not really.
    The Coutts CEO was always in the firing line.
    The chairman is Lord Remnant

the joke's lost when it has to be explained

• Options
    "A.I. Filmmaking Is Not The Future. It's a Grift." - Patrick (H) Willems, YouTube, 27Jul2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC99lNQdNmA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Flitwick Town Council write to Nadine Dorries to demand she resigns as she is not now properly representing her Mid Beds constituency in their view

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1684498168753393665?s=20

Completely justified

She shames her office and politics
  • Options
    Do Liverpool fans realise that no-one who isn't a Liverpool fan gives a shit about Liverpool?

It's possibly the most mind-numbingly boring subject on the planet.
  • Options
    eek said:

I agree with Carra.

Pfff, nah. Europe's clubs will be fine.
  • Options
    Ball that got Stokes was an absolute corker. Would have got anyone four times out of five, I think.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,009
    nico679 said:

Another classic mistake by the politically naive Sunak.

Farage takes votes off Con, not Labour, and drives up enthusiasm for a Starmer government.

The whole mess shows how over regulated we are by AML regulations. They are quite a hassle in my role as a Charity Trustee where we often have significant nuisance changing signatories on our accounts. Like DRB checks it often seems to do nothing useful but delays anything we do.
  • Options
    England losing wickets - now 208 for 6
  • Options
    It occurs to me that the views people bring to PB are dependent on how they primarily access the Internet. I spend time working on my laptops and usually have a YouTube on one screen and work on the other, so all my stuff is YouTubes. Others spend time on the phone and so use Twitter. Others read newspaper articles and so we have links to them. People who use Reddit or Instagram or TikTok or Discord tend to be younger and hence absent from PB. Nobody's posted a link from Facebook for a long while... :)
  • Options
    GOP Rep. Byron Donalds, a Trump supporter, politely criticizes new Florida curriculum teaching the benefits of slavery. Aides to Governor Ron DeSantis respond by accusing him of pushing Biden White House talking points and comparing him to Kamala Harris.
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1684562173241303042

The DeSantis crew is every bit as vile as Trump's gang.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,009
    edited July 2023

Do Liverpool fans realise that no-one who isn't a Liverpool fan gives a shit about Liverpool?

It's possibly the most mind-numbingly boring subject on the planet.

Not while cricket, formula 1 and golf exist.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Russian sailor arrested in Sevastopol, with 1kg of explosives, accused of plotting to blow up a ship.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-july-russian-fsb-detained-serviceman-of-russian-black

A wooden fishing boat, presumably?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

The Tories are terrified of Farage so jump whenever he appears. I am not sure he is that widely liked in the country, though.

• Options
    eek said:

I agree with Carra.

As with the golfers it’s totally life-changing money, that it becomes hard to turn down.

I do wonder how many people will watch Saudi football though. I suspect there’s an audience for it in Asia, for the gambling mostly, but they won’t be paying European pay-tv prices to watch.
  • Options
    212 for 7
  • Options
    Leon said:

The idea “this will all turn out well for Coutts” is refreshingly original. I can imagine there must be loads of billionaires applying for accounts right now, in the hope they can be morally audited by 19 year olds, and get their entire social media histories combed over, to see if they ever retweeted anything possibly transphobic, and if they fail, this will all be leaked to the BBC

Really rich people LOVE that kind of attention

As I said check out the latest slew of Coutts adverts. They want those 19-yr olds as customers. Or to attract those who think they will be in the company of those 19-yr olds.

A bit like an old geezer (or indeed anyone over 28yrs old) walking into a NY branch of Abercrombie & Fitch.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

The Tories are terrified of Farage so jump whenever he appears. I am not sure he is that widely liked in the country, though.

I see no reason to be terrified of Farage as he is widely disliked

It does seem the ones most agitated by him over this are on the left
  • Options
    England collapsing like Carthage at Zama.

This collapse takes me back to my childhood.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

212 for 7

28 runs for the last four wickets.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The idea “this will all turn out well for Coutts” is refreshingly original. I can imagine there must be loads of billionaires applying for accounts right now, in the hope they can be morally audited by 19 year olds, and get their entire social media histories combed over, to see if they ever retweeted anything possibly transphobic, and if they fail, this will all be leaked to the BBC

My guess is coutts is for small time rich, only one Ferrari type punters. Proper billionaires don't need the concierge service because they have employees to do that stuff and don't need investment services because they own an investment trust
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    nico679 said:

No 10 has acted more quickly on this banking saga than on many other things that were much more urgent.

Running to the aid of the odious piece of trash Farage .

I hadn't been very interested till I realised how much it winds up idiot lefties to have Farage on the news doing something good. Do very revealing of the mindset. Poor old Starmer having to keep a lid on it all. Even mild miss Reeves tried the 'woman being bullied' line and failed miserably.
  • Options

This was every Ashes match before 2005.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    HYUFD said:

Flitwick Town Council write to Nadine Dorries to demand she resigns as she is not now properly representing her Mid Beds constituency in their view

She is an absolute disgrace. Typical of all Johnson apologists: lazy thinking, dishonest and completely incompetent and out of touch.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'd be surprised if many fantastically rich people use Coutts in the first place. But those who do will already have had their personal account managers on the phone talking through any issues they may have and soothing any concerns. It's a real pain switching these kinds of accounts - and it can cost a fair amount of money to do it. But you are right, discretion really matters. If people are genuinely concerned their names are going to get into the papers, they'll be off like a shot.

• Options
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

My guess is coutts is for small time rich, only one Ferrari type punters. Proper billionaires don't need the concierge service because they have employees to do that stuff and don't need investment services because they own an investment trust
    QED on my previous posts:

https://www.privatebankerinternational.com/news/coutts-launches-first-ever-advertising-campaign/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is Coutts a bank for really rich people, or for status seekers? There's v little that actually sets their service apart from other premier brands. Yer billionaires and whatnot will be keeping things much more complex and low key, and generally won't give a shit about the posh name on the bank card.

It's like Hyacinth Bucket wanting her removal van to park the other way round so her neighbours could see the 'By Royal Appointment' on the side.
  • Options

I think most people who are following the story of whatever political persuasion recognise that the NatWest CEO had to go.

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,806
    viewcode said:

It occurs to me that the views people bring to PB are dependent on how they primarily access the Internet. I spend time working on my laptops and usually have a YouTube on one screen and work on the other, so all my stuff is YouTubes. Others spend time on the phone and so use Twitter. Others read newspaper articles and so we have links to them. People who use Reddit or Instagram or TikTok or Discord tend to be younger and hence absent from PB. Nobody's posted a link from Facebook for a long while... :)

And some of us social media refusniks just think stu
    Nigelb said:

212 for 7

28 runs for the last four wickets.
    As soon as that stat about beating a 220 score was noted we should have gone straight to the betting sites :#
  • Options

HYUFD said:

She is an absolute disgrace. Typical of all Johnson apologists: lazy thinking, dishonest and completely incompetent and out of touch.
    Having not conducted a constituency surgery in the town for three years is damning.
  • Options

I think most people who are following the story of whatever political persuasion recognise that the NatWest CEO had to go.

Agreed and Coutts as well
    I am surprised at Rachel Reeves accusation of bullying Alison Rose, but to be fair Starmer has endorsed the resignation
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Is Coutts a bank for really rich people, or for status seekers? There's v little that actually sets their service apart from other premier brands. Yer billionaires and whatnot will be keeping things much more complex and low key, and generally won't give a shit about the posh name on the bank card.

It's like Hyacinth Bucket wanting her removal van to park the other way round so her neighbours could see the 'By Royal Appointment' on the side.
    There is a branch of Coutts on Eton High Street.
  • Options
    My God, a lot of the trendy lefty journos at the Guardian write as much trite shite as their counterparts in the Express sometimes.

"Toxic divide and rule" Lol. This is the modus operandi of the left. The ultimate purveyors of the politics of envy and class war.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/from-churchill-to-sunak-toxic-divide-and-rule-has-always-been-the-tory-weapon-of-choice/ar-AA1eqOGa?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=0fa5a208ae474ce8ab752cc6117a3057&ei=23
  • Options
    Farage is a one man shorting machine. He can clearly get massive media coverage, generate action from the current UK government and so move markets. If he targets a publicly-quoted business, then that business has a serious problem. It’s like shareholder activism, but without the shares. That is serious power.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251
    Sandpit said:

This was every Ashes match before 2005.
    Hopefully we can 500 in our second innings! 👍
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293

generate action from the current UK government

This is the stupid bit
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694

Farage is widely disliked, sure. But there is a meaningful slice of the current Conservative vote who seem to find him attractive. Nowt so queer as folk, as they say up north.

Hence Rishi's dilemma. Cut him loose or hug him close? Both come at a cost, including reminding lefties that they don't like Nigel.

Business before pleasure, remember.
  • Options

It's hard to see anything about this that should concern the left. To most people I would imagine that Farage vs the bankers looks like a blue on blue scrap.
  • Options

Farage is a one man shorting machine. He can clearly get massive media coverage, generate action from the current UK government and so move markets. If he targets a publicly-quoted business, then that business has a serious problem. It’s like shareholder activism, but without the shares. That is serious power.

And yet there's nothing behind the curtain. It is bizarre.

I wonder how much of this is our generally posh media thinking (wrongly) that Nige is a voice of 'the working clahs' with their awful flags and their chips and whatnot and so giving him a constant platform that vastly outweighs his actual political achievements is an easy shortcut to giving a voice to that group?

They are in absolute thrall to the guy, and I just don't get it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

There is a branch of Coutts on Eton High Street.
    Not mentioned here,

https://www.bankopeningtimes.co.uk/coutts/coutts.html

And they have one in Sheffiedl but not York. Plus slightly surprised they don't call it *Royal* Tunbridge Wells. But Poole makes sense.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    Nigelb said:

GOP Rep. Byron Donalds, a Trump supporter, politely criticizes new Florida curriculum teaching the benefits of slavery. Aides to Governor Ron DeSantis respond by accusing him of pushing Biden White House talking points and comparing him to Kamala Harris.

Not sure about that…

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694

And therefore without responsibility.

Which, ironically, is what people accuse the wokerati of.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Look in the mirror instead of slagging off others . Given some of the crud you come out with you’re the last person who should be criticizing others .
    @Leon is a Farage apologist, so you can ignore his view on the subject. Nige is his hero, probably alongside Mussolini and Franco .

Personally I think Coutts should have just said nothing other than Mr Farage is no longer eligible for an account. That was their mistake, plus not deleting anything that could be accessed through a GDPR SAR
  • Options

Leon said:

I'd be surprised if many fantastically rich people use Coutts in the first place. But those who do will already have had their personal account managers on the phone talking through any issues they may have and soothing any concerns. It's a real pain switching these kinds of accounts - and it can cost a fair amount of money to do it. But you are right, discretion really matters. If people are genuinely concerned their names are going to get into the papers, they'll be off like a shot.

Yes I doubt that many people will switch accounts from Coutts if they already have one. It’s a hassle as you say. But who knows

What it will do is deter anyone from OPENING an account there. Why take the risk?

It is potentially a True Ratner Moment. A few monumentally stupid, indiscreet remarks, said to the wrong audience, have terminally damaged an entire business. Insanely dumb

Also what kind of arrogant fuckwit does this in the first place? Isn’t Alison rose meant to be some experienced person? A safe pair of hands? 30 years with the firm?

I wonder if she was really drunk and trying to impress a BBC journo she fancied. Didn’t this happen at some banquet?

• Options

Farage is widely disliked, sure. But there is a meaningful slice of the current Conservative vote who seem to find him attractive. Nowt so queer as folk, as they say up north.

Hence Rishi's dilemma. Cut him loose or hug him close? Both come at a cost, including reminding lefties that they don't like Nigel.

Business before pleasure, remember.
    There is no electoral advantage, let alone a path to victory, in Sunak being the 'Starmer-lite' that you'd like him to be.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not sure about that…

Seeing those two immediately makes me think of a word that might cause me to be banned from here if I used it
This discussion has been closed.