Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting on a LAB majority reaches a new high – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367
    Lol, Foulkes on the bullshit ginger again, and the credulous falling for it.

https://twitter.com/stvnews/status/1676996665591361536?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,936

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer just written the Tories next leaflet in the Uxbridge by election for them.

'Sir Keir Starmer has refused to take a side in a by-election dispute over whether to expand London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

Under plans from Labour mayor Sadiq Khan, the clean-air zone is set to become three times bigger from 29 August.

But Labour's candidate in this month's Uxbridge by-election, Danny Beales, wants the expansion halted.

In a BBC interview, the Labour leader declined to say which view he backed.

He added that Mr Khan was trying to fulfil his legal obligations to reduce emissions, whilst Mr Beales was trying to fight for his future constituents.

"Both of those things have to be accommodated," he added.

The Labour leader has previously said that Mr Khan was "right" to expand the zone, arguing last month it was part of the fight to curb lung cancer.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66124191

Very sensible.
    May well cost Labour the seat.

See the Cambridge local by election this week where Labour even lost a seat they held to the Tories over the Labour council's unpopular congestion charge
    I thought it was a safe Tory seat? What happened, was the incumbant MP a bit naughty?
    No it was always a Labour or LD council seat, never been Tory until this week
    Uxbridge......
    On current polls Labour should win Uxbridge. Opposition to ULEZ expansion and the high Hindu vote there however could mean a shock Tory hold. That would give Rishi a rather better summer holiday break than Sir Keir I would expect (albeit I think Labour could get very close in Selby)
    Not all Hindus are Tories, FFS! I told you before, not all Hindus in India are BJP!
    Though Modi does seem very popular with my Gujerati, Tamil and Bengali Indian colleagues. Less so with the Sikhs and Keralans.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,602
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer just written the Tories next leaflet in the Uxbridge by election for them.

'Sir Keir Starmer has refused to take a side in a by-election dispute over whether to expand London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

Under plans from Labour mayor Sadiq Khan, the clean-air zone is set to become three times bigger from 29 August.

But Labour's candidate in this month's Uxbridge by-election, Danny Beales, wants the expansion halted.

He added that Mr Khan was trying to fulfil his legal obligations to reduce emissions, whilst Mr Beales was trying to fight for his future constituents.

The Labour leader has previously said that Mr Khan was "right" to expand the zone, arguing last month it was part of the fight to curb lung cancer.'

Very sensible.

See the Cambridge local by election this week where Labour even lost a seat they held to the Tories over the Labour council's unpopular congestion charge
    I thought it was a safe Tory seat? What happened, was the incumbant MP a bit naughty?
    Uxbridge......
    On current polls Labour should win Uxbridge. Opposition to ULEZ expansion and the high Hindu vote there however could mean a shock Tory hold. That would give Rishi a rather better summer holiday break than Sir Keir I would expect (albeit I think Labour could get very close in Selby)
    Not all Hindus are Tories, FFS! I told you before, not all Hindus in India are BJP!
    Though Modi does seem very popular with my Gujerati, Tamil and Bengali Indian colleagues. Less so with the Sikhs and Keralans.
    Well, I was born in Kerala, so maybe I'm biased :lol:

Seriously, Kerala has never elected BJP MPs at national level, or BJP MLAs at state level.
  • Options
    Sad to see one girl died in the school car crash in Wimbledon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66120958
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......
    But why isn't it a safe Tory seat? I know you follow Tory politics quite closely so are likely to have the answer?
    Uxbridge has never been a safe Tory seat ie in the top 100 safest Tory seats and always had a Tory MP since 1945.

Indeed Labour won Uxbridge from 1945-1955 under Attlee and Labour also won Uxbridge in 1966 under Wilson.

In 1997 the Tories only narrowly held on and New Labour targeted it hard in the subsequent by election that summer but the Tories held on
    You simply cannot bring yourself to condemn Johnson can you, but merely prattle out excuses for the inexcusable
    The Tories were polling higher under Johnson last summer than now
    You have just made my case

The polling today is a direct result of toxic Johnson and Truss even with the reminder of Pincher today

Johnson and his disciples have 'ratnered' the party and it will take a very long time to recover and it certainly will not recover under the ERG and right wingers like yourself, who seem to be in thrall with the likes of Farage and Trump

Truss maybe and her disastrous budget leading to surging interest rates hitting mortgage holders.

If Johnson was still in place that budget would never have occurred and Truss would never have become PM. It did far more damage to the Tory poll rating than partygate ever did
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......
    Putting by elections on one side, here is a bit of betting post anecdata, bearing in mind that Labour on some polls are going to wipe out the Tories (23 point lead today etc).

I am part of a basically one nation Tory family. All my immediate family generally vote Tory; we are centrist right moderate liberals; I haven't voted otherwise in a GE since the 1970s. I firmly supported Major in 1997, and it never crossed my mind really to buy into Blair's project

Of the 6 in my immediate family not one intends at the moment to vote Tory. I think on the day not more than one will do so. The turning point for me was Patersongate, and since then it has got much worse.

It's a small sample, but it is backed by the polls. I no longer think a Tory wipeout is impossible.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,447
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......
    But why isn't it a safe Tory seat? I know you follow Tory politics quite closely so are likely to have the answer?
    Uxbridge has never been a safe Tory seat ie in the top 100 safest Tory seats and always had a Tory MP since 1945.

Indeed Labour won Uxbridge from 1945-1955 under Attlee and Labour also won Uxbridge in 1966 under Wilson.

In 1997 the Tories only narrowly held on and New Labour targeted it hard in the subsequent by election that summer but the Tories held on
    You simply cannot bring yourself to condemn Johnson can you, but merely prattle out excuses for the inexcusable

The polling today is a direct result of toxic Johnson and Truss even with the reminder of Pincher today

Johnson and his disciples have 'ratnered' the party and it will take a very long time to recover and it certainly will not recover under the ERG and right wingers like yourself, who seem to be in thrall with the likes of Farage and Trump

Truss maybe and her disastrous budget leading to surging interest rates hitting mortgage holders.

If Johnson was still in place that budget would never have occurred. It did far more damage to the Tory poll rating than partygate ever did
    You will not utter the words, almost as if is blasphemous to criticise your 'exalted Johnson' who by the way created Truss leadership due to his spectacular fall into disgrace
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......
    Putting by elections on one side, here is a bit of betting post anecdata, bearing in mind that Labour on some polls are going to wipe out the Tories (23 point lead today etc).

I am part of a basically one nation Tory family. All my immediate family generally vote Tory; we are centrist right moderate liberals; I haven't voted otherwise in a GE since the 1970s. I firmly supported Major in 1997, and it never crossed my mind really to buy into Blair's project

Of the 6 in my immediate family not one intends at the moment to vote Tory. I think on the day not more than one will do so. The turning point for me was Patersongate, and since then it has got much worse.

It's a small sample, but it is backed by the polls. I no longer think a Tory wipeout is impossible.
    Did they all vote Tory in 1997 when the Tories held Uxbridge? Or 1966 when Labour won Uxbridge?

Do they live in London where ULEZ is deeply unpopular? Are they Hindu with whom Rishi is particularly popular?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673

Sad to see one girl died in the school car crash in Wimbledon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66120958

The police officer broke down announcing the girl's death.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGNghQe0wo
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Seems like some people have had too many Tetleys at Headingley

Overdosed on tea?
    Are you suggesting there is something brewing?
    It's an Earl Grey area.
    Perhaps we should leaf these puns.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,822
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Overdosed on tea?
    Are you suggesting there is something brewing?
    It's an Earl Grey area.
    Perhaps we should leaf these puns.
    But if we did that we might miss out on Sunil's thoughts. Our Keemun!
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Seriously, Kerala has never elected BJP MPs at national level, or BJP MLAs at state level.
    Quite a lot of our staff are Keralan, and it is on my list of places to go. Sounds really quite beautiful.

I think it easy for outsiders to underestimate how diverse India is. Modi's Hindutva authoritarianism does seem popular in Leicester Hindus though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Did they all vote Tory in 1997 when the Tories held Uxbridge? Or 1966 when Labour won Uxbridge?

Do they live in London where ULEZ is deeply unpopular? Are they Hindu with whom Rishi is particularly popular?
    You spectacularly miss the point

@algarkirk makes an honest point and you prevaricate

I can align with his comments, as my family vote conservative but of the 9 who do only 1 is likely, and at present I may vote labour to get Robin Miller out, as he is one of the 25 who want to stop carers coming into our country
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

I can align with his comments, as my family vote conservative but of the 9 who do only 1 is likely, and at present I may vote labour to get Robin Miller out, as he is one of the 25 who want to stop carers coming into our country
    You also voted for Blair twice in 1997 and 2001.

You are a Tory leaning swing voter, not a true Tory core voter.

To be that you would have to vote Tory at every general election, win or lose.

Just as to be a true Labour core voter you would have to have voted for Blair, Brown, Ed Miliband, Corbyn and now be voting for Starmer.

Everybody else is a swing voter to some degree (with a handful of core LD and SNP voters too)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

ULEZ is deeply unpopular with Nick Ferrari and fans of Nick Ferrari. Those who live in the ULEZ expansion zone, don't want their children to die of respiratory disease, are not Tories and who own a compliant vehicle, not so much.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

You also voted for Blair twice.

You are Tory leaning swing voter, not a true Tory core voter.

To be that you would have to vote Tory at every general election, win or lose
    Sadly you are the worst advert for the conservative party I know, and your constant insults to conservative supporters is shameful and frankly quite disturbing
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Sadly you are the worst advert for the conservative party I know, and your constant insults to conservative supporters is shameful and frankly quite disturbing
    If you were a real true Tory you would have voted for Major in 1997, Hague in 2001 and would now still vote for Rishi next year. Sorry but that is just the truth
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

You also voted for Blair twice in 1997 and 2001.

You are a Tory leaning swing voter, not a true Tory core voter.

To be that you would have to vote Tory at every general election, win or lose.

Just as to be a true Labour core voter you would have to have voted for Blair, Brown, Ed Miliband, Corbyn and now be voting for Starmer.

Everybody else is a swing voter to some degree (with a handful of core LD and SNP voters too)
    "You can't be", "not a true", "You are"
    The way you love to be the arbiter of who we are and how we vote makes you sound deranged.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Except to say that at the 1966 election I was 11 (life was never better than then as I was in top year juniors and England won the World Cup), the answers, my friend, are blowing in the wind and sticking to the wall.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

British number five Liam Broady caused one of the biggest shocks at this year's Wimbledon with a remarkable five-set win over Norwegian fourth seed Casper Ruud on a frenzied Centre Court.

Wimbledon is like the FA cup of tennis.

Ruud 4th seed ?!

He was around 200-1 on Betfair iirc.
    Seeding is done on the basis of ATP ranking, but Ruud is not exactly known as a grass court player. Of his career finals, 15 have been on clay, 7 on hard, none on grass. There are fewer grass tournaments, but still.

He'd also have achieved his best performance at Wimbledon had he won today (he's only had four appearances to be fair).

So it's not massively surprising that he was very unfancied for a person theoretically seeded to make the semi-finals.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Quite a lot of our staff are Keralan, and it is on my list of places to go. Sounds really quite beautiful.

I think it easy for outsiders to underestimate how diverse India is. Modi's Hindutva authoritarianism does seem popular in Leicester Hindus though.
    In 2011, Kerala was 55% Hindu, 27% Muslim, 18% Christian. Population 33 million.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD's vision of big tent politics is the equivalent of one of those solo tents that aren't even really big enough for one person.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

If you were a real true Tory you would have voted for Major in 1997, Hague in 2001 and would now still vote for Rishi next year. Sorry but that is just the truth
    I am not a tribal devotee, and if you are an example of the modern conservative party then I want nothing to do with it

Actualy I am quite proud of the fact I do not fit in with 'your definition' of a true Tory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

If Johnson was still in place that budget would never have occurred and Truss would never have become PM. It did far more damage to the Tory poll rating than partygate ever did
    It was a butterfly effect.

If Johnson had kept himself to himself, not attended lockdown parties because rules don't apply to him, hadn't conspired to let Owen Patterson off the hook and protect the loathesome groper there would have been no need for a Truss budget.

Your Sir Boris Innocent was the architect of the Conservative decline.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

I am not a tribal devotee, and if you are an example of the modern conservative party then I want nothing to do with it

Actualy I am quite proud of the fact I do not fit in with 'your definition' of a true Tory
    The reality is the majority of people are like you, rather than HYUFD. They have certain beliefs and overwhelmingly will vote for the party that naturally aligns with that, but on occasion the local or national offering is so bad / mad / corrupt that they say no not this time.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,686
    Threads is shite. It essentially obliges you to migrate your Instagram account and followers to Threads. My insta account is close family and a few friends with no interest in my political views and foul mouthed memes etc. And vice versa. I don’t want to mix them. FAIL
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Well the definition of Chump seems to be nearing it's climax. Both @Big_G_NorthWales and @HYUFD have thrown themselves on the rocks and it seems (oddly) to achieve the crown in this hitherto little fought for contest!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

And if you were a REAL TORY, you would have voted LEAVE in 2016. Sorry, but that's just the truth :lol:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Threads is shite. It essentially obliges you to migrate your Instagram account and followers to Threads. My insta account is close family and a few friends with no interest in my political views and foul mouthed memes etc. And vice versa. I don’t want to mix them. FAIL

Well how else will they get an instant network effort.

I guess its back to Mastadon for everybody ;-)
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,059
    Completely O/T but I’m watching flying ants erupt from their nest for the first time I’ve ever watched up close. Seen the flying ant clouds in the air before but never watched them actually come to the surface and go crazy. All the non flying ants are running everywhere on speed . Quite a wonderful thing to see in a strange way - like watching a Timelapse of Glastonbury with thousands of people running around going nuts in the sun and the grass.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Leon said:

Have you ever heard of something called multi accounting?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

ULEZ is deeply unpopular with Nick Ferrari and fans of Nick Ferrari. Those who live in the ULEZ expansion zone, don't want their children to die of respiratory disease, are not Tories and who own a compliant vehicle, not so much.
    I wonder how much the ULEZ fuss both in favour and against is people projecting ideas upon it which have no basis in reality.

The name ULEZ to me implies electric-only or equivalent. That my 13-year old petrol vehicle would be ULEZ-compliant if I lived in London certainly isn't what I'd imagine from all the fuss on either side.
  • Options

Leon said:

Mastodon. Lol. What a lefty disaster zone. Woke zombies wandering an empty echo chamber. The Woking Dead

Basically it’s very hard to replicate/replace Twitter. This won’t do it. But it will attract some, and fragment the social media landscape further. A shame

I thought this was funny
  • Options
    boulay said:

Completely O/T but I’m watching flying ants erupt from their nest for the first time I’ve ever watched up close. Seen the flying ant clouds in the air before but never watched them actually come to the surface and go crazy. All the non flying ants are running everywhere on speed . Quite a wonderful thing to see in a strange way - like watching a Timelapse of Glastonbury with thousands of people running around going nuts in the sun and the grass.

Unfortunately, the males can't eat (no jaws), so they just shag the queens and then die :open_mouth:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,228

Leon said:

A few times I've looked up people who advertise their Mastodon account on their Twitter profile to find that the account no longer exists or isn't being used. Reports of the death of Twitter have been greatly exaggerated.
  • Options
    And this?

“People are realizing Threads is just a censorship platform and trying to delete their accounts

But they can’t

Zuck tethered it to your Instagram so if you delete one, both get deleted

Everyone signing up must stay

Like a digital Berlin Wall”

https://twitter.com/dc_draino/status/1677014792177868817?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

How to annoy everyone immediately
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mastodon. Lol. What a lefty disaster zone. Woke zombies wandering an empty echo chamber. The Woking Dead

Basically it’s very hard to replicate/replace Twitter. This won’t do it. But it will attract some, and fragment the social media landscape further. A shame

I thought this was funny
    It truly is funny that the EU's attempts to intimidate Musk/Twitter have scared off their competition.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,564

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

If Johnson was still in place that budget would never have occurred. It did far more damage to the Tory poll rating than partygate ever did
    You will not utter the words, almost as if is blasphemous to criticise your 'exalted Johnson' who by the way created Truss leadership due to his spectacular fall into disgrace
    Not only that, but it was quite obvious to the members that Truss was the Johnsonite candidate.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

And this?

“People are realizing Threads is just a censorship platform and trying to delete their accounts

But they can’t

Zuck tethered it to your Instagram so if you delete one, both get deleted

Everyone signing up must stay

Like a digital Berlin Wall”

https://twitter.com/dc_draino/status/1677014792177868817?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

How to annoy everyone immediately

Wouldn't expect anything less from a Meta product. See what they required of you to use their VR headset.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hopefully give Musk some incentive to stop pushing his shite on users and restoring some functions to Twitter.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,040

boulay said:

Unfortunately, the males can't eat (no jaws), so they just shag the queens and then die :open_mouth:
    Ah the simple life.
  • Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 87
    I could be wrong but I value HYUFD's posts as telling me what Torys really think, and I value Malcomg's posts as telling me what those Scots who want to leave the union really think.

I could be wrong.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

boulay said:

Ah the simple life.
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" as Kate Moss once famously said.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hopefully give Musk some incentive to stop pushing his shite on users and restoring some functions to Twitter.
    The latest move was very odd. My understanding was they had got back a far amount of the advertisers in recent months.
  • Options

Leon said:

Try joining Threads and see what happens (if you already have an Instagram account)
  • Options
    I suppose you could make up a fake insta account but even then I bet Threads would find your real account and sniff you out. It’s deeply sinister
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Root and Bairstow owe the team big scores tomorrow. Their sloppiness which probably got Aus an extra hundred runs or so
  • Options
    Leon said:

I suppose you could make up a fake insta account but even then I bet Threads would find your real account and sniff you out. It’s deeply sinister

Didn't that happen recently where they were clearly collecting info on which accounts checked out other accounts i.e. ex's doing a bit of cyber-stalking, and then sent out a load of "this person likes looking at your profile, how about becoming friends on every Meta platform".
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited July 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Not me, I was on the water.

Lost my voice booing Cummins and Carey.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Try joining Threads and see what happens (if you already have an Instagram account)
    Not tempted by twitter or insta so why would I bother with its joint offspring?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,532
    Leon said:

And they've ripped off the name of your favourite movie.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Are you now going to bore up for days on end about how Mitchell Marsh played one of the best test innings ever ?
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

You misuse the word "fragment". But some of us would like to see the social media landscape blown into smithereens on its way to disappearance. And salt poured on its ashes. But you want it all run for 1000 years from a single office, right?

That Musk and his backers have caused a rift in social media world is the single positive thing that can be said about this effort.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

Are you now going to bore up for days on end about how Mitchell Marsh played one of the best test innings ever ?
    God no.

Poor Leon knows as much about cricket as he does about epidemiology.

I actually laughed out loud at his comment that last Sunday Ben Stokes scored the best test century ever in England.

Mate, it wasn't even his best century in England.

I actually was there for the best one when he scored 135* at Headingley in 2019 when we won the test.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

The reality is the majority of people are like you, rather than HYUFD. They have certain beliefs and overwhelmingly will vote for the party that naturally aligns with that, but on occasion the local or national offering is so bad / mad / corrupt that they say no not this time.
    Agreed. Only somebody totally devoid of principles votes for a party unconditionally. Most of us have our own "red lines". HYUFD doesn't and actually seems proud of the fact.
  • Options
    My pal has just started on the Tourette's Diet.

He swears by it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Pulpstar said:

God no.

I actually laughed out loud at his comment that last Sunday Ben Stokes scored the best test century ever in England.

I actually was there for the best one when he scored 135* at Headingley in 2019 when we won the test.

Nine sixes. Never equalled. And you are so easy to troll
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

God no.

Glad to see you admit your posts on the lab leak are trolling.
  • Options

Leon said:

And they've ripped off the name of your favourite movie.
    The first iteration of Threads is bizarrely bad. So many things wrong with it

I get the sense Meta have designed it literally in the last few weeks as they’ve seen Twitter struggle. They’ve bodged it together and stuck it out there hoping it might work somehow. And getting in early before Dorsey’s Bluesky (over which he is taking a painful amount of time, by all accounts - the opposite of Zuckerberg)

In other words they’ve flung some random shit at the wall in the hope it will stick. Prediction: it mostly won’t stick
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    agingjb2 said:

I could be wrong but I value HYUFD's posts as telling me what Torys really think, and I value Malcomg's posts as telling me what those Scots who want to leave the union really think.

I could be wrong.

IF HYUFD was really a window into the soul of the Tory membership he would not have been a remainer in 2016. He simply slavishly parrots whatever the current leadership line is. BigG at least gives his politics some genuine thought.
  • Options
    Apparently somebody at Headingley knows the people who run the videos on the big screen and if during the next 4 days they show footage of the Aussie ball tampering in 2018 and Steve Smith crying then it was Andy from Wakefield's idea.
  • Options

He swears by it.

Tut tut. Again!

• Options

Apparently somebody at Headingley knows the people who run the videos on the big screen and if during the next 4 days they show footage of the Aussie ball tampering in 2018 and Steve Smith crying then it was Andy from Wakefield's idea.

COME ON, ANDY!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,645
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very sensible.

Uxbridge......

Then you're into "donkey with a blue rosette" territory. Not a coherent vision, just a team that isn't Labour.

And that, combined with the Only One True Tory tribalism, is why the Conservatives are headed for one of those videos TSR goes on about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

He swears by it.

Tut tut. Again!

The italics are an indication that it is a quote.
  • Options

How was Smith? At Lord’s he looked absolutely rattled. I hope you gave him a proper barracking. Coz it works
  • Options
    Leon said:

How was Smith? At Lord’s he looked absolutely rattled. I hope you gave him a proper barracking. Coz it works
    I called him a cheat, I've got some sandpaper for him to sign if I run into him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I opened one, and it instantly wanted to connect me to a whole bunch of work colleagues etc, even when using a non work email (the one I use here). No thanks.

I deleted it and Insta forthwith.

I find Lists on twitter still quite useful. It is their regular "for you" force feed that is total shite, full of the sort of fake videos that gullible rightwingers fall for.
  • Options

Leon said:

I called him a cheat, I've got some sandpaper for him to sign if I run into him.
    Good man. They are a touch brittle, these Aussies
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,169
    Another bout of hilarity with the world's richest baby and a dying bird:

"Twitter refuses to pay for arbitration it forced on 891 ex-employees, suit says"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/07/twitter-refuses-to-pay-for-arbitration-it-forced-on-891-ex-employees-suit-says/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

I opened one, and it instantly wanted to connect me to a whole bunch of work colleagues etc, even when using a non work email (the one I use here). No thanks.

I deleted it and Insta forthwith.

I find Lists on twitter still quite useful. It is their regular "for you" force feed that is total shite, full of the sort of fake videos that gullible rightwingers fall for.
    Yeah, Threads is a Facebooky nightmare

I will, however, be interested to see Bluesky
  • Options

He swears by it.

It's not as effective as the Linford Christie diet, as long as you fast enough.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Leon said:

And getting in early before Dorsey’s Bluesky (over which he is taking a painful amount of time, by all accounts - the opposite of Zuckerberg)

It's not Dorsey's fault, he doesn't seem to be involved in the operations of Bluesky at all. The CEO seems to have basically maneuvered him out (although he still has a seat on the board) and when he showed up to post there everyone took the piss out of him and he went back to Nostr.

• Options
    Musk does seem to be wetting his panties over Threads though:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1677025203291840514?t=vOm_yRlYPuCTXyT6zjOlFQ&s=19
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,802
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

God no.

So 9x 6s in a century plus score outweighs say 24x 4s in a century plus? When it happened twice in an innings?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-new-zealand-1994-95-61927/new-zealand-vs-west-indies-2nd-test-63676/full-scorecard
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1677025203291840514?t=vOm_yRlYPuCTXyT6zjOlFQ&s=19

Alien v Predator. Amusing

I believe I just saw Biden in Marine One fly right over Parkway
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Twitter threatens to sue Meta over Threads app – report

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg, a lawyer for the Elon Musk-owned app reportedly said Meta had unlawfully misappropriated trade secrets

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/06/twitter-meta-lawsuit-threads-app-musk-zuckerberg.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Yeah - big helicopter day.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

"I sacked a load of employees, and you hired some of them. Wah wah wah."

Twitter - especially the cut-down version Threads apparently is at the moment - is not exactly difficult for a company the size of Meta to reproduce. The really hard bits - scalability, i18n/l10n, data centers etc - will already be in places with FB, Insta and the others.

I can imagine that Musky baby thinks it's incredibly difficult, as he's a cr@p at software...
  • Options
    agingjb2 said:

I could be wrong.

Nah, they are both fictional comedic caricatures, like Harry Enfield's Tory Boy and Gregor Fisher's Rab C. Nesbitt.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    Evening all :)

Again, I'm forced to disagree fundamentally with OGH on this.

The polls tell a very different story - the current Deltapoll has 21% of the 2019 Conservative vote going Labour, Redfield & Wilton has 17% going Labour. These aren't small numbers given 45% voted Conservative in 2019 - 20% of that represents 9% of the total electorate so that's a 9% swing straight away.

Look through the demographics and the story is the same - among those aged 55-64 for example, the Conservatives won 49-27 in 2019 - Deltapoll has Labour winning that group 38-27, a swing of 16.5%.

All across the polls, the swings are consistent and huge - will there be a "swingback" to the Government as the election approaches? Perhaps - what might also save the Conservatives is the sheer size of the majorities they built up last time. Just under half the Conservative Parliamentary Party have majorities requiring swings in excess of 15%.

There are a core of Conservative Don't Knows but the assumption both they and Reform supporters will run back to the Conservatives at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder is unproven at best.

We also remember the notional UNS of 10% disguised a multitude of swings up to 19% in some seats. Tactical voting was a thing in the May local elections and was a thing in 1997 and 2001 and could very well be a thing again in 2024 accentuating Conservative losses.

Labour does have a mountain to climb - thanks to Johnson, Truss and Sunak they have got much further much faster than anyone could have imagined but the next election remains a year or more away and a lot can happen.

However, I've no doubt were the current polling to be accurately reflected at the next GE, Labour would win a landslide majority and remove at least half the Conservative MPs.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373

A future Fesshole candidate if ever I saw one
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

He’s not officially meant to be here til the 9th. Maybe it’s a private visit
  • Options

Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

Twitter - especially the cut-down version Threads apparently is at the moment - is not exactly difficult for a company the size of Meta to reproduce. The really hard bits - scalability, i18n/l10n, data centers etc - will already be in places with FB, Insta and the others.

I can imagine that Musky baby thinks it's incredibly difficult, as he's a cr@p at software...
    If it’s “not that difficult to reproduce” why have Facebook made such a total hash of the job? Threads is dreadful

All it will do is cannibalise users on insta. The functionality just isn’t there for people who like Twitter
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

If it’s “not that difficult to reproduce” why have Facebook made such a total hash of the job? Threads is dreadful

All it will do is cannibalise users on insta. The functionality just isn’t there for people who like Twitter
    It's the day of launch, dude.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Possibly medical too (Small probability, but plausible). London does have a few of the real medical leaders.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

So it IS quite hard to reproduce then. Otherwise, dude, they’d have nailed it on day one. It’s not like they lack the money
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,059
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

I think he’s over getting in touch with his English ancestry, a few pints of bitter in a pub talking about how his family came from England and how naff it would be if he still considered himself English after a few generations.

Then he’s announcing Hunter as next US ambassador to the Court of St James.
  • Options
    I presume one problem for Threads - or any Twitter rival - is that they can only get so close to the original model before Musk sues them to Perdition for intellectual property theft?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,877
    Fuck off is it fair. She was speeding not once but twice.....public transport is unsafe for her but not the many toilet cleaners who would have been banned the first time.....fuck off she should be banned
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

I think he’s over getting in touch with his English ancestry, a few pints of bitter in a pub talking about how his family came from England and how naff it would be if he still considered himself English after a few generations.

Then he’s announcing Hunter as next US ambassador to the Court of St James.
    I think I've mentioned on this board that some of his ancestors used to run the local pub here in West Sussex and a couple of his ancestors are buried in the local Church. It would be nice if he acknowledged this.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

So it IS quite hard to reproduce then. Otherwise, dude, they’d have nailed it on day one. It’s not like they lack the money
    No, it isn't hard for them to get what they've got so far. You complaints appear to be about the business model and linking with Insta. That's different from the techie side.

As it happens, I'd quite like to try Threads, but I don't have an Insta account and cannot be bothered getting one. So it's a no from me atm.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,630
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Possibly medical too (Small probability, but plausible). London does have a few of the real medical leaders.
    Facelift? Doesn't look like there's an awful lot of face left to lift, but perhaps they'll try freshening him up again.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Fuck off is it fair. She was speeding not once but twice.....public transport is unsafe for her but not the many toilet cleaners who would have been banned the first time.....fuck off she should be banned
    You seem angry.

You need some treatment on the NHS for your anger issues.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

https://factba.se/biden/calendar

puts him in da white ouse
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

That's hilarious.

No, it isn't hard for them to get what they've got so far. You complaints appear to be about the business model and linking with Insta. That's different from the techie side.

As it happens, I'd quite like to try Threads, but I don't have an Insta account and cannot be bothered getting one. So it's a no from me atm.
    lol. And that sounds, to me, like a huge fundamental error from the get-go. They've fucked it up
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Pagan2 said:

You seem angry.

You need some treatment on the NHS for your anger issues.
    You know what the lead time is for NHS psychiatric services is?
This discussion has been closed.