Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will this map and table change tonight and tomorrow? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Roger said:

The Tories predicted to lose 800 seats. Is that good or bad. Who knows?

I predicted 814.

That would be poor but better than expectations, and a PNE only a bit down on last time.

Who made that prediction? Is it uniform swing not accounting for tactical voting?
    John Curtis I think. Labour to gain 500
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    Andy_JS said:

LD MP Sarah Olney describing the situation I was talking about earlier, regarding maiden and married names for women voters.

The patriarchy's malign influence once more.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,367
    Andy_JS said:

LD MP Sarah Olney describing the situation I was talking about earlier, regarding maiden and married names for women voters.

She read the same tweet….
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292

Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall
    6m
    Statement from Electoral Commission. They say overall the elections were “well run” but that voter- ID “posed a greater challenge for some groups in society and that some people were regrettably unable to vote as a result.”

Hopefully "groups in society" that don't vote Conservative.
    Well yes would be funny if Tory gerrymandering backfired
    Starmer fans please explain!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    nico679 said:

Turnout down nearly everywhere . Shockingly so in some areas . Looks like a combination of apathy and the Tories attempts to stop people voting who might not vote for them .

The big winners are the Can't Be Arsed Party.

Starmer doesn't have the policies to beat them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    ‘Truly gobsmacked’: Ancient-human genome count surpasses 10,000
    The majority of sequences come from people who lived in Western Eurasia, but samples from other regions are on the rise.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01403-4
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,555
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I predicted 814.

That would be poor but better than expectations, and a PNE only a bit down on last time.

Who made that prediction? Is it uniform swing not accounting for tactical voting?
    The Tories will have dodged a bullet if that proves the case. I would call Curtis wrong at this point, Tory losses could still top 1000
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    Lol.

Tories removing the vote from married women.

That’s a bad look.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Andy_JS said:

An issue that crops up in every election I've ever observed in WA. And one where having ample time to canvass ballots, and contact voters if need be for clarification, helps prevent women from disenfranchisement.

But if getting the numbers ASAP all else be damned, then tough titty?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

Early signs that Labour has recovered in the Red Wall

Does Sunderland count as the Red Wall? All 3 parliamentary seats there are still Labour.
    People tend to refer to the Red War generically as any long term Labour seat in the North now.

I'd say Sunderland counts - it's in the area which saw a lot of Tory gains, and each seat has been trending Conservative and have small majorities, though each are rather new on their current boundaries.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,830
    edited May 2023
    nico679 said:

Turnout down nearly everywhere . Shockingly so in some areas . Looks like a combination of apathy and the Tories attempts to stop people voting who might not vote for them .

Others are saying elderly voters are most affected, who are more likely to vote Tory. Not good either way.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    BritainElects has started streaming again. I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psq2-EzHFIg
  • Options

nico679 said:

The big winners are the Can't Be Arsed Party.

Starmer doesn't have the policies to beat them.
    Looks like the ID tactic could be tonight's winner.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Others are saying elderly voters are most affected, who are more likely to vote Tory. Not good either way.
    I've been saying it the whole time - the young don't vote as much, but the ones who want to probably found a way to do so. Stuck in their ways Tory biddies may not have kept up with the requirements.
  • Options

Sunderland

Fulwell - Lib Dem Gain from Con (already won by LDs last year)

Liberal Democrats - Peter Walton 1879
    Conservative - David Sinclair 1036
    Labour - Andy Stafford 718
    Reform UK - Lisa Hilton126
    Green - Liam Dufferwiel 108
    Monster Raving Loony - Jumping Jack Flash 40

St Peter's - Con hold

Conservative - Josh McKeith 1348
    Labour Co-op - David Newey 1160
    Liberal Democrats - John Lennox 254
    Green - Rachel Featherstone 193
    Reform UK - Keith Samme 152

Looks like a failure for Labour there, what’s the % movement?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    1st result from South Tyneside
    Robin Anthony Coombes (Independent) - 402
    Ernest Matthew Gibson (Labour Party) - 916
    Dawn Wildhirt (Conservative Party) - 111
    Sophie Jane Williams (Green Party) - 165

Last year it was
    Lab 941 Ind 420 Con 248 Greens 200
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

I've been saying it the whole time - the young don't vote as much, but the ones who want to probably found a way to do so. Stuck in their ways Tory biddies may not have kept up with the requirements.
    It's pretty obvious they are the people most likely to be confused about ID requirements, which makes a mockery of the voter suppression accusations against the Tories.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Any particularly good ward names so far? Looking at Cotswolds they have 'Grumbolds Ash with Avening', 'Chedworth and Churn Valley' and 'The Ampneys and Hampton' still to come.

God I love the UK so much.
  • Options

Sunderland

St Peter's - Con hold

Looks like anti-Tory tactical voting?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,211

A very small swing to LAB in Basildon...

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    3m
    Nethermayne (Basildon) council election result:

IND: 66.3% (-11.0)
    LAB: 19.1% (+6.0)
    CON: 9.6% (+2.7)
    LDEM: 4.9% (+4.9)

Independent HOLD.

Turnout: 22.8% (-9.1)
  • Options
    Basildon
    Nethermayne
    PARTY PCT. CHG.
    ⬤ Ind 66.3 - 11.0
    ⬤ Lab 19.1 + 6.0
    ⬤ Con 9.6 + 2.7
    ⬤ LDem 4.9 + 4.9
    +/- with 2019
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

I predicted 814.

The Tories will have dodged a bullet if that proves the case. I would call Curtis wrong at this point, Tory losses could still top 1000
    If Curtice is right which he invariably is, that is a Starmer-out disaster and a massive victory for Rishi.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sunderland

St Peter's - Con hold

Looks like anti-Tory tactical voting?
    Half 450 Lib Dem and green votes would have given Labour comfortable win. But I was referring to how to the Tory vote held up to win, Lab not getting enough Con to Lab in this seat, or most seats declared really.
  • Options
    Any of the mayoral votes interesting or are they all obvious results?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,099
    Laura seems slightly more bearable than in her political correspondent days. But it’s still early doors
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

I predicted 814.

If Curtice is right which he invariably is, that is a Starmer-out disaster and a massive victory for Rishi.
    I love it when a party which loses hundreds of seats can claim victory - it demonstrates the success of their expectations management, and the spin doctors should get a raise.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Evgeny Prigozhin is stepping up his attacks on the Russian government for failing to supply enough ammunition.

Warning: graphic video.

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1654263502838845440
  • Options

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    3m

Independent HOLD.

Is that the infamous Kerry Smith?
  • Options
    LDem gain from Con
    Sunderland
    Fulwell
    PARTY PCT. CHG.
    ⬤ LDem 48.1 + 28.5
    ⬤ Con 26.5 - 4.2
    ⬤ Lab 18.4 - 10.7
    ⬤ Ref 3.2 + 3.2
    ⬤ Grn 2.8 - 3.7
    +/- with 2019
    https://flourish-user-preview.com/13553613/KGHri_VQrEFROvtAae_X-AhUFfD0DgGauvbf8KMQ1XDwbV0qdYBq5yPfltlVxfv7/
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Washington East election results 2023 - Labour hold

Labour Co-op - Fiona Miller 1651
    Conservative - Hiliary Johnson 780
    Liberal Democrats - Richard Bond 122
    Reform UK - Lynda Alexander 210
    Green - Michal Chantokowski 166

2022: Lab 1682 Con 1223 Green 239

Libdem held easily Pallion ward

Another huge 800 red wall Tory vote. If you were expecting the forecast Tory collapse that is.
    What appears to be happening in Sunderland is that UKIP isn't standing this time, some votes are going to REF but lots to LAB (and a few to CON)
    Labour getting the Brexit voters back. What do Labour members in London think of that?
    Not much I suspect. Brexit is a none issue nowadays - it’s a done deal and we have to move on.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited May 2023

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

It's pretty obvious they are the people most likely to be confused about ID requirements, which makes a mockery of the voter suppression accusations against the Tories.
    Yes logic fail again for critics - proof will be in the pudding. Were the Tories really trying to do something about voter fraud - or will they abandon it when it affects their own vote falls more than expected. My personal opinion is that it seemed pretty well advertised that you could get a free id through the council, and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to provide ID when they vote - I have to provide ID to pick up a parcel from the local sorting office.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    No change in Broxbourne, as usual. Con 27, Lab 3. (Tonight Con 9, Lab 1).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2023/england/councils/E07000095
  • Options
    Easy Green gain from Lab in West Park (South Tyneside)
    Result very similar to last year
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Labour hold Newcastle and Tyneside councils, Conservatives hold Broxbourne council
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 710

Laura seems slightly more bearable than in her political correspondent days. But it’s still early doors

They’ve given Hugh a break. Makes sense for this lesser event, she is the political editor after all. So far, so good.
  • Options
    LDs gain a seat in Brentwood
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Early doors yet but I'm sensing Labour doing best in places they already hold comfortably.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Christ, Curtice already looks knackered. Get him coffee.

He always looks exhausted!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Roger said:

Roger said:

I predicted 814.

It wouldn’t be a Starmer out result winning just 500 councillors, and Tories only dropping 800 - but it would make it very tight to achieving 10 points ahead on PNE and a % around 39 or 40. And that would look bad underperformance for Starmer and Labour.
  • Options
    For anyone interested I didn't vote for Mark Oaten who was standing in my town council ward, but I did vote for a couple of the lib dems that I know and a green.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Small swing to the Tories in St Chad's / Sunderland.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1654263840907882496
  • Options

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    3m

Independent HOLD.

Nethermayne About that one 😇
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Yes logic fail again for critics - proof will be in the pudding. Were the Tories really trying to do something about voter fraud - or will they abandon it when it affects their own vote falls more than expected. My personal opinion is that it seemed pretty well advertised that you could get a free id through the council, and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to provide ID when they vote - I have to provide ID to pick up a parcel from the local sorting office.
    It was advertised about as well as local government could make it, and the media has amplified it quite a bit.

Though even if it is the case that the elderly Tory vote was most affected that doesn't necessarily prove it was not an attempt to suppress others - it could just mean the policy backfired.
  • Options

For anyone interested I didn't vote for Mark Oaten who was standing in my town council ward, but I did vote for a couple of the lib dems that I know and a green.

Any reason why you didn't vote for Mark Oaten IYDMMA?
  • Options

biggles said:

I hope his replacement, when it comes, is more beloved than His Majesty replacing Elizabeth II.
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

It was the Labour Party that introduced The Electoral Fraud (Northern Ireland) Act 2002

The act required voters to present a photographic identity card at a polling station before casting a vote, with the Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card created for voters without an acceptable form of ID.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Small swing to the Tories in St Chad's / Sunderland.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1654263840907882496

That is good. My family live in St Michael's ward nearby.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Evening all.

Anything going on?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

It was advertised about as well as local government could make it, and the media has amplified it quite a bit.

Though even if it is the case that the elderly Tory vote was most affected that doesn't necessarily prove it was not an attempt to suppress others - it could just mean the policy backfired.
    As with Trump in general, Georgia in particular.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Andy_JS said:

He thought he was a bit shit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Any particularly good ward names so far? Looking at Cotswolds they have 'Grumbolds Ash with Avening', 'Chedworth and Churn Valley' and 'The Ampneys and Hampton' still to come.

God I love the UK so much.

Wytcherywalnut. The votes neatly split between Wytches and nuts.

Perfick 🤗
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LDs gain a second seat in Brentwood
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    HYUFD said:

With a very big swing. Also a big swing to them in a seat they hold. And another gain. Looks like it is going to be carnage in Brentwood.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Lib Dems getting some remarkable results apparently. Good news as they're the most anti Brexit Party. Starmer made a tactical error ignoring the country's antipathy to Brexit.

Sir Ed could turn out to be a Knight to remember
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evening all.

Anything going on?

Still awaiting results from Sitting-on-the-Pot.
  • Options
    BBC: Con hold Harlow.
  • Options
    Conservatives hold Harlow council
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evening all.

Anything going on?

Stuff, mostly. Some bits and bobs. No shenanigans. The BBC are trying very hard to be excited.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

I hope his replacement, when it comes, is more beloved than His Majesty replacing Elizabeth II.
    It might be me, if my Manipulation of Mammaries in Variational Electoral Forecasting catches the eye 😘
  • Options
    If the Tories lose Windsor in Coronation week, I will be highly amused.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

With a very big swing. Also a big swing to them in a seat they hold. And another gain. Looks like it is going to be carnage in Brentwood.
    Not great results there, though the first seat the LDs won was held by them before in the late 1990s, early 2000s so not a total surprise on current polls
  • Options
    Tactical voting seems to be the big story of the extremely limited results so far
  • Options
    What a leader, what a man.

Conservative Campaign Headquarters has just taken delivery of 10 large Domino's pizzas personally paid for by Rishi Sunak.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1654221994622345216
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I love the bar-chart on this Guardian page atm. Change in councillors: "+0, +0.2, +0.4" etc, because the changes at the moment are +1 and -1.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2023/may/04/elections-2023-results-live-local-council-england
  • Options
    Halton final result

Lab 17
    LD 1
    Con 0

Only change is 1 Lab gain from Con (Daresbury, Moore & Sandymoor)
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Could be the same as last year, Labours flop in Red Wall overnight, Lib Dem’s save the day on Friday.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Harlow is downmarket compared to Brentwood. (No offence to Harlow). Tories hold Harlow, doing badly in Brentwood.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,950
    Chorley NE is a more straight fight without previous UKIP votes .

Labour will be very happy with that !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What a leader, what a man.

Conservative Campaign Headquarters has just taken delivery of 10 large Domino's pizzas personally paid for by Rishi Sunak.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1654221994622345216

With the message stuff your own crust 😕
  • Options
    LD gain from Lab in West Fenham - Newcastle
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If I’m reading the BBC results correctly, looks like they only needed to win 1 of the 11 seats up to retain their majority. 3 seats declared, Con hold 1, Lab hold 2.
  • Options
    "Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m
    West Fenham (Newcastle upon Tyne) council election result:

LDEM: 45.3% (+39.6)
    LAB: 33.3% (-10.8)
    CON: 12.4% (+2.4)
    GRN: 8.9% (-2.3)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Labour.

Turnout: 36.1% (+3.7)"
  • Options
    LDs loving it in the NE...

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

Turnout: 36.1% (+3.7)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

Blimey! An independent before?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

If I’m reading the BBC results correctly, looks like they only needed to win 1 of the 11 seats up to retain their majority. 3 seats declared, Con hold 1, Lab hold 2.
    Hey, a win is a win. :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975

You could vote lib dem, green then Oaten for a chance to sink the blue
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

A classic LD from nowhere victory. They do pull them off in some weird places sometimes.
  • Options
    Sunderland, St Michael's
    Conservative - Adele Graham-King1432
    Labour - Chris Smith1378
    Green - John Appleton 201
    Liberal Democrats - Colin Wilson 110
    Reform UK - Chris Eynon 273

2022: Con 1832 Lab 1201 Green 231 LD139
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

Positive news for Rob Halfon nonetheless, who is an excellent MP, Labour had hopes of winning Summers and Kingsmoor where the Tories had a 10% majority yet the Tories held it
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    Wonder if the Tories will do well in the areas just outside London due to ULEZ
  • Options
    kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

A classic LD from nowhere victory. They do pull them off in some weird places sometimes.
    Labour clearly underperforming in red wall. This night is starting to look a bit serious for Starmer and Labour.
  • Options
    Brentwood is interesting in a way, but the Tories are never going to lose it at a general election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

Positive news for Rob Halfon nonetheless, who is an excellent MP, Labour had hopes of winning Summers and Kingsmoor where the Tories had a 10% majority yet the Tories held it
    Yes Halfon has a 32% majority in Harlow (2019 boundaries). So 16% swing needed for LAB, doesn't look likely on these results, good news, Halfon is indeed an excellent MP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

Hey, I’m Tory myself. Just giving some context
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Good evening PB. Another local elections night....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It was for one of his policies around the local arts venue - he wants to re-open it and the local action group have a plan - which he supports. I have seen the plan and know about the current building condition and they think they can get volunteers to renovate a 60s theatre complex that has flat roofs, an oil heating system and electrics that are at end of life for less than 250k. I reckon they would be lucky to get it operational again for four times that. So for someone who was a leadership contender I don't like his judgement - either he knows and understands all this and should know it's crap, or he's trying to curry favour with all the luvvies. Pretty niche I know but that is local elections for you!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Brentwood is interesting in a way, but the Tories are never going to lose it at a general election.

Labour up 4% in Brentwood, LDs up 3%, Tories down 6%.

So main swing Tory to Labour yet LDs main seat gainers. Brentwood itself has Labour and LD councillors, it is the rural bits in Ongar which give Alex Burghart a large constituency majority yet they are in Epping Forest district council area not Brentwood council like where we now live
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Tactical voting seems to be the big story of the extremely limited results so far

You calling West Fenham Newcastle result tactical?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Green gain Biddick & All Saints in South Tyneside from Lab
    It is a ward Greens didn't win last year
  • Options
    I see another Brentwood ward held by the Tories with a large swing from the LDs!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,950

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

Labour clearly underperforming in red wall. This night is starting to look a bit serious for Starmer and Labour.
    I expect the Lib Dems to have a good night .

Newcastle though isn’t really typical red wall.

It’s the straight fights between the Tories and Labour that are key .
  • Options
    felix said:

I see another Brentwood ward held by the Tories with a large swing from the LDs!

Could be all over the place in the South/Midlands
  • Options
    felix said:

Probably because the candidate was a popular local figure.
  • Options

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

Where are you getting this from? Sky News analysis says Labour outperforming national polling (early days caveat)
  • Options

Green gain Biddick & All Saints in South Tyneside from Lab
    It is a ward Greens didn't win last year

As I said down thread, this is not Labour losing voters in large chunks to the greens, but Starmer failing to get Labour voters to the polls.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Harlow is downmarket compared to Brentwood. (No offence to Harlow).

That reminds me of Margot Asquith correcting Jean Harlow's pronunciation of "Margot": "The t is silent, as in Harlow."
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The experts say Labour needs a vote share lead of 10% to be on course for victory.

Labour says it's 8%.

Murphy's Law therefore forecasts the result will be 9%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

felix said:

Probably because the candidate was a popular local figure.
    Lots of opposition to new developments there too, classic LD nimbyism again
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Just a reminder: Gerrymandering is not the same as "vote supression". The Conservatives are being accused of using voter ID to make it harder for some opponents to vote -- how accurately I do not know. That, if true, would be vote supression, not gerrymandering.

In gerrymandering the ruling group (usually a party) draws district lines so as to maximize their chances of controlling a legislature. Typically they do this by concentrating the other party's voters in a few districts, while giving their own party safe majorities in the other districts. This can produce truly strange looking districts.

Some states now use independent commissions to prevent gerrymandering, with mixed success.

Two important things to know: Gerrymandering was practiced more by Democrats than Republicans after the New Deal, because they controlled more legislatures. That began to change after the 1994 and 2010 elections, when Clinton and Obama did so much to strengthen the Republican Party. (I could be wrong, but I suspect that the Guardian, for example, had little to say about gerrymandering when it was mostly practiced by American politicians they liked.)

Second, because Democratic voters tend to be heavily concentrated in large cities, a "fair" districting algorithm, which ignored partisanship, might still give Republicans an advantage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering_in_the_United_States
  • Options

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    1m

Where are you getting this from? Sky News analysis says Labour outperforming national polling (early days caveat)
    By looking at the red wall results. They lost two of their red wall seats whilst you were typing.
This discussion has been closed.