Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the Coronation overshadow likely Tory losses in the locals? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just seen Sunak vs Starmer at PMQs and what an embarrassment Sunak is as Prime Minister. King of the NIMBYs banging on about giving "local control" to stop housing, when we have a housing crisis.

If I hadn't already decided I won't vote Tory tomorrow, that would be a clincher.

Cheshire and Amersham was a disappointment for seeing the Lib Dems win based on a disreputable NIMBY campaign, but the Tories have gone wholeheartedly to the dark side.

I'm never voting for them again, until they become the party of aspiration again - which I can't ever see happening under Sunak.

It will happen, but it's going to be a long slog. The Conservatives are prisoners of their electorate, who are now overwhelmingly retired homeowners who see no reason for any more development, thank you. I don't see how the Conservatives move to a different coalition without a purgative spell in opposition.

Give him his due, Starmer is at least making "getting it" noises, though the devil will be in the details.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmers-growth-plan-is-built-on-houses-79jq7mz6r
    Yep. More of that and I might actually vote Labour next time, despite having thought I'd never do so again after Brown trashed the economy with his deficit spending.

If Starmer can come up with a plan that involves getting stuff done, like construction, to move the economy instead of just throwing taxpayers money at every problem (like Brown) or just shutting up shop and managing decline (like Sunak) then he will deserve a term in Downing Street.

Not holding my breath though.
    Concreting over the Green Belt would be electoral poison for Labour. For example, in my old home town of Crawley (a must win for Labour at the next GE) a plan for a vast housing estate on the Ifield golf course was met with local fury and organized protests. If Sir Keir goes for 'Build, baby, build' then he's an idiot. On this issue HYUFD is right, right and right again!
    Indeed, we need some new housing but it should be focused on brownbelt land first. Any government which tries to concrete over the greenbelt will be hugely unpopular
    Ah yes, that fictional canard "the brownbelt" again.

There's no such thing. The countries population has increased by 20% in a generation, there simply isn't unused land going idle to fit those houses into, the only realistic way you can increase by 20% your population is to increase by 20% the land being used. 🤦‍♂️

Which would be an almost insignificant eating into greenfield land, but treating all green land as holy places never to be touched is the problem. Typically by people who themselves live in areas they'd consider green but their own house is an exception clearly as its already there.
    Tighten immigration controls and that reduces pressure on the demand side too
    No, it doesn't.

You could stop immigration overnight and all the housing problems that exist today would still exist tomorrow.

Unless you want to enforce mass-deportations, then everyone who lives here still needs a home to live in, and children who grow up whether children of people who migrated or not, will need a home of their own too.
    This isn't actually true unless you also stop emigration and close the borders completely.
    Emigration isn't of a scale to close the housing shortage.
    Over half a million a year would make a considerable dent in it.
    It'd take 20 years at that rate to get us back to the population we had when the housing system broke down and house prices exploded.

Though that entails a total and complete halt of immigration, which is never going to happen. Even the most draconian suggestions of immigration control are suggesting still-positive net migration (eg Cameron and May's "tens of thousands" pledge). Even if net migration came all the way down to zero, which isn't going to happen, emigration would be doing nothing to ease the housing crisis.
    Except that it is not a human right to own a house. You see it as such, I guess, because you have either found it difficult to buy a house or maybe still have not. You have been quite brutal in your views on here on other matters (e.g. people catching covid, businesses going bust because of Brexit), so I will be brutal with you: The reality is that if you earn enough, you can still afford to buy, so rather than whinging about it Barty, work harder/smarter and afford a house. Alternatively you can rent a property and spend hours on here whinging about how unfair it all is.
    Um I don't think BartholomewRoberts is just talking about house prices he's talking about rents as well.

I am treating Barty to a bit of his cold, unfeeling right wing medicine. I actually agree that the system needs some radical solutions. I just don't have sympathy for someone like Barty who normally suggests that anyone who complains needs to be told to pull their socks up or suck it up, as in the examples I gave.

The difficulty with housing is that parties of all stripes are (rightly) worried about creating conditions that cause a house price crash. Barty thinks this would be a wonderful thing, and whatever it did to the economy and individuals is just tough shit -the old suck it up lack of sympathy for which he is infamous. But, like with most of his views, people who actually understand these things disagree and understand that even muppets like Barty (who IIRC was a supporter of Trussconomics) will suffer significantly.
    If you doubled house building, it would just reduce the rate of increase in housing cost.

To crash house prices would take something like building a half dozen new Oxfords. Each year.
    Interest rates at 15% would do it too!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

Friday - the focus will be on the local election results

Saturday - it's all about the Coronation!

Or to put it another way, the local election results will not be that exciting!

SPOILER ALERT - Charles will be confirmed as King, and his hag as Queen :)
    Do I take it The Sunil isn't a fan of the former Mrs Parker-Bowles? :D
    Let's just say Diana would have made a much more OK looking Queen :)
    You do know that she wouldn’t be 36 anymore?
    (apparently - if it's AI and the Mail say it then it must be right, right?)
    It's not terrible but I think she'd have retained slightly more 'lustre' than that. That looks like my Aunt Enid at 60. She was the glamourpuss of the family but she smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. Also lived in Birmingham.
    It looks like Diana has been on the Woodbines and five pints of Brew XI every lunchtime for the last 25 and a half years too. She's let herself go. I know plenty of women of a similar age that look in finer fettle than Lady Di. That's more like a depiction of a 72 year old bingo player than a 62 year old fitness fanatic.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Tucker Carlson January 7, 2021 — 04:18:04 PM UTC
    A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

SSI - Am wondering, what is this Fucker's PB moniker?

Is that real and is he still employed. It's not written by a malfunctioning AI is it?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

It's not terrible but I think she'd have retained slightly more 'lustre' than that. That looks like my Aunt Enid at 60. She was the glamourpuss of the family but she smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. Also lived in Birmingham.
    It looks like Diana has been on the Woodbines and five pints of Brew XI every lunchtime for the last 25 and a half years too. She's let herself go. I know plenty of women of a similar age that look in finer fettle than Lady Di. That's more like a depiction of a 72 year old bingo player than a 62 year old fitness fanatic.
    "I know plenty of women of a similar age that look in finer fettle than Lady Di."

True but Lady Di is now at a distinct disadvantage.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

GIN1138 said:

Its not about looks....
    How does it feel to have an adulterer and adulteress as head of the Church?
    The Archbish' and his wife are swingers? I don't believe it!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Roger said:

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

Is that real and is he still employed. It's not written by a malfunctioning AI is it?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/business/media/tucker-carlson-text-message-white-men.html

"A text message sent by Tucker Carlson that set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion-dollar defamation trial showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race.

The discovery of the message contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing. . . ."
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

GIN1138 said:

Its not about looks....
    How does it feel to have an adulterer and adulteress as head of the Church?
    The Archbish' and his wife are swingers? I don't believe it!
    The King is head of the Church! Defender of the Unfaithful, and all that...
  • Options

I note we are now at the stage of overanalysing polls that are a fortnight out of date. Odd.

Welcome to PB.com!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pct1uEhAqBQ
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

Carol Kirkwood looks OK at 60.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just seen Sunak vs Starmer at PMQs and what an embarrassment Sunak is as Prime Minister. King of the NIMBYs banging on about giving "local control" to stop housing, when we have a housing crisis.

If I hadn't already decided I won't vote Tory tomorrow, that would be a clincher.

Cheshire and Amersham was a disappointment for seeing the Lib Dems win based on a disreputable NIMBY campaign, but the Tories have gone wholeheartedly to the dark side.

I'm never voting for them again, until they become the party of aspiration again - which I can't ever see happening under Sunak.

It will happen, but it's going to be a long slog. The Conservatives are prisoners of their electorate, who are now overwhelmingly retired homeowners who see no reason for any more development, thank you. I don't see how the Conservatives move to a different coalition without a purgative spell in opposition.

Give him his due, Starmer is at least making "getting it" noises, though the devil will be in the details.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmers-growth-plan-is-built-on-houses-79jq7mz6r
    Yep. More of that and I might actually vote Labour next time, despite having thought I'd never do so again after Brown trashed the economy with his deficit spending.

If Starmer can come up with a plan that involves getting stuff done, like construction, to move the economy instead of just throwing taxpayers money at every problem (like Brown) or just shutting up shop and managing decline (like Sunak) then he will deserve a term in Downing Street.

Concreting over the Green Belt would be electoral poison for Labour. For example, in my old home town of Crawley (a must win for Labour at the next GE) a plan for a vast housing estate on the Ifield golf course was met with local fury and organized protests. If Sir Keir goes for 'Build, baby, build' then he's an idiot. On this issue HYUFD is right, right and right again!
    Indeed, we need some new housing but it should be focused on brownbelt land first. Any government which tries to concrete over the greenbelt will be hugely unpopular

There's no such thing. The countries population has increased by 20% in a generation, there simply isn't unused land going idle to fit those houses into, the only realistic way you can increase by 20% your population is to increase by 20% the land being used. 🤦‍♂️

Which would be an almost insignificant eating into greenfield land, but treating all green land as holy places never to be touched is the problem. Typically by people who themselves live in areas they'd consider green but their own house is an exception clearly as its already there.
    No, it doesn't.

You could stop immigration overnight and all the housing problems that exist today would still exist tomorrow.

Unless you want to enforce mass-deportations, then everyone who lives here still needs a home to live in, and children who grow up whether children of people who migrated or not, will need a home of their own too.
    This isn't actually true unless you also stop emigration and close the borders completely.
    It'd take 20 years at that rate to get us back to the population we had when the housing system broke down and house prices exploded.

Though that entails a total and complete halt of immigration, which is never going to happen. Even the most draconian suggestions of immigration control are suggesting still-positive net migration (eg Cameron and May's "tens of thousands" pledge). Even if net migration came all the way down to zero, which isn't going to happen, emigration would be doing nothing to ease the housing crisis.
    Except that it is not a human right to own a house. You see it as such, I guess, because you have either found it difficult to buy a house or maybe still have not. You have been quite brutal in your views on here on other matters (e.g. people catching covid, businesses going bust because of Brexit), so I will be brutal with you: The reality is that if you earn enough, you can still afford to buy, so rather than whinging about it Barty, work harder/smarter and afford a house. Alternatively you can rent a property and spend hours on here whinging about how unfair it all is.
    Um I don't think BartholomewRoberts is just talking about house prices he's talking about rents as well.

I am treating Barty to a bit of his cold, unfeeling right wing medicine. I actually agree that the system needs some radical solutions. I just don't have sympathy for someone like Barty who normally suggests that anyone who complains needs to be told to pull their socks up or suck it up, as in the examples I gave.

The difficulty with housing is that parties of all stripes are (rightly) worried about creating conditions that cause a house price crash. Barty thinks this would be a wonderful thing, and whatever it did to the economy and individuals is just tough shit -the old suck it up lack of sympathy for which he is infamous. But, like with most of his views, people who actually understand these things disagree and understand that even muppets like Barty (who IIRC was a supporter of Trussconomics) will suffer significantly.
    If you doubled house building, it would just reduce the rate of increase in housing cost.

To crash house prices would take something like building a half dozen new Oxfords. Each year.
    The problem that you run in to is that there is a natural limit for private sector housebuilding - there is only so much capacity in the market for new builds and developers need to make a profit and it would be commercially suicidal for them to flood the market so that house prices in an area fall. You can tweak around a bit at the edges (Self build, custom build etc) but ultimately the only way that housing numbers will really increase is by more building of council housing, or social housing. This situation just proves itself again and again to be the case even though people like to tell themselves 'this time it is different' or they create myths that things like Modern Methods of Construction is a game changer.

The best policy would be to match the construction of new private housing with new social housing and also to encourage large scale build to rent investments.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Strict rent controls would probably drive prices down. I'd like to see that in the Overton Window. But prices are at least going the right way now. Despite April's surprise uptick and the bullish commentary of sundry estate agents I remain of the opinion this new normal of 5% money rather than 1% will lead to quite a sizeable negative correction over the next couple of years. I think it has to really. Still too high though imo. It can't be healthy that housing accounts for such a large proportion of our wealth; and for renters and first time buyers that so much of their income must be devoted to paying for a place to live.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Roger said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/business/media/tucker-carlson-text-message-white-men.html

"A text message sent by Tucker Carlson that set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion-dollar defamation trial showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race.

The discovery of the message contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing. . . ."
    He'll be rehired and on a higher salary
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Roger said:

I think it is Fucker trying a bit of role playing as a decent person.

Sort of like a serial killer wearing bits of people…
  • Options

Roger said:

Followed by being sectioned I hope....
  • Options

Roger said:

Rehired by Rupe & Sons? Don't bet on it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    I said when Sturgeon resigned that we would need to wait till May to see what the impact would be. Given all the motorhome stuff... 10 point lead for No.

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1653791527209152515?t=EeuuyIkEl_a9KCcnV6ygoQ&s=19
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    The BBC has done its bit for investigative journalism by asking four people why they will not be watching the coronation.

This is my favourite:
    "Tarek Ahmed says he does not "care enough to watch for hours".
    I'd rather have a lie-in and eat some doughnuts", explains the 21-year-old marketing executive from Kent.
    Tarek says he has not decided whether or not he supports the Royal Family.
    "If they make the country money, happy days. That means more money for things like the NHS and education. But if that's not the case then I don't want them. I don't know the answer," he says."

Who says young people today are vacuous?
  • Options

Roger said:

Rehired by Rupe & Sons? Don't bet on it.
    Currently Rupes ratings are falling faster than Bud Lights market share,

He'll just turn up on another channel.

Maybe CNN they need Trump back to boost their ratings
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

Wouldn’t it really depend on how “Hollywood” a person goes in trying to look young?
    I think she would have been at the front of that queue, whilst all the time claiming that she hadn't had plastic surgery and simultaneously issuing denials about shagging a well known plastic surgeon.
  • Options

Roger said:

For GB News perhaps?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Roger said:

No chance. He’ll either get hired by one of the new media companies such as Rumble, Spotify, The Blaze, Daily Wire etc, or he’ll launch his own new media company. It’s a massive business these days, and he will likely end up making at least double his reported $35m Fox News salary.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

I'll have to take your word for this. Without googling I don't know who she is. One of the Loose Women?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

A member of the Peaky Blinders too?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

No chance. He’ll either get hired by one of the new media companies such as Rumble, Spotify, The Blaze, Daily Wire etc, or he’ll launch his own new media company. It’s a massive business these days, and he will likely end up making at least double his reported $35m Fox News salary.
    I agree, I was being sloppy with phrasing he wont go back to Fox, but Fox have probably shot themselvrs in the foot.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited May 2023
    Lowest SNP vote share in any UK GE poll by any pollster since Oct 2014.

Scotland Westminster VI (30 April–2 May):

SNP 35% (-1)
    Labour 32% (+1)
    Conservative 18% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Reform 2% (–)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 31 March–1 April

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-indep…

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1653792839698980865?s=46
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

I'll have to take your word for this. Without googling I don't know who she is. One of the Loose Women?
    I believe she's been tipped as a future Tory leader.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP leads by 4% in constituency VI for Holyrood.

Holyrood Constituency VI (30 April-2 May):

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Changes +/- 31 March-1 April

Labour leads SNP by 2% in regional VI for a Scottish parliamentary election.

Holyrood Regional List VI (30 April-2 May):

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

• Options

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Im surprised Alba arent doing better.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

BBC Weather lady.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    This matters as well:

My Seat Projection:

LAB: 26 (+25)
    SNP: 21 (-27)
    CON: 7 (+1)
    LDM: 5 (+1)

Changes w/ GE2019.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1653793175230726144
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Strict rent controls would probably drive prices down. I'd like to see that in the Overton Window. But prices are at least going the right way now. Despite April's surprise uptick and the bullish commentary of sundry estate agents I remain of the opinion this new normal of 5% money rather than 1% will lead to quite a sizeable negative correction over the next couple of years. I think it has to really. Still too high though imo. It can't be healthy that housing accounts for such a large proportion of our wealth; and for renters and first time buyers that so much of their income must be devoted to paying for a place to live.
    Sigh.

Rent control reduces prices for the few and contracts the market. It's only been demonstrated everywhere rent control has been applied to a limited housing market.

Ask New Yorkers about Rent Control.

The way to reduce rents is to increase the number of properties until the market stops clearing. Then the over priced and shit properties will not get rented.
    I only said Overton Window not a slam dunk sign off let alone a silver bullet. And I counter your New York with a Berlin.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Chris said:

The BBC has done its bit for investigative journalism by asking four people why they will not be watching the coronation.

This is my favourite:
    I'd rather have a lie-in and eat some doughnuts", explains the 21-year-old marketing executive from Kent.
    "If they make the country money, happy days. That means more money for things like the NHS and education. But if that's not the case then I don't want them. I don't know the answer," he says."

I'm sure the BBC could have found a just as vacuous 21 year old from Kent a couple of days before the 1981 Royal Wedding too,
  • Options

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

I’m not. Salmond’s ratings are toxic.

Remember in Scotland he polled worse than Boris Johnson, which is some achievement.
    Yes, but in the current maelstrom that is the SNP I suspected he might get a boost all those tartan tories looking for a home. So far not the case - even reform are outperforming him
  • Options

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Remember in Scotland he polled worse than Boris Johnson, which is some achievement.
    It wasn't a small margin either.

-51 approval for Salmond vs -28 for Boris, IIRC
  • Options

This matters as well:

My Seat Projection:

Changes w/ GE2019.

Yep - Glasgow goes red. Over the waterfall.

On the Holyrood numbers - Labour just shy of being largest party, I think.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Rent control reduces prices for the few and contracts the market. It's only been demonstrated everywhere rent control has been applied to a limited housing market.

The way to reduce rents is to increase the number of properties until the market stops clearing. Then the over priced and shit properties will not get rented.
    Rent control just removes the incentive to rent a property out. The end point of rent controls is no rental property except holiday lets.

And a market without rental property doesn't work for anyone who doesn't want or can't get a mortgage.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

I only said Overton Window not a slam dunk sign off let alone a silver bullet. And I counter your New York with a Berlin.
    Berlin (and Germany) has a shrinking population.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Chris said:

This is my favourite:

I'm sure the BBC could have found a just as vacuous 21 year old from Kent a couple of days before the 1981 Royal Wedding too,
    They did, he's called Roger
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Shows why Flynn targeted Starmer at PMQs

This is a crisis time for the SNP

• Options

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

A member of the Peaky Blinders too?
    Kept it quiet if so.
  • Options

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

It wasn't a small margin either.

-51 approval for Salmond vs -28 for Boris, IIRC
    I know with one poll he was doing brilliantly with Scottish Tories who the pollster suspected were Tories liking Salmond socking it to the SNP/Sturgeon.

Without those Tories the ratings would have been even worse.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Mortimer said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Really - got a link to evidence to show that?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

This matters as well:

My Seat Projection:

Changes w/ GE2019.

Yep - Glasgow goes red. Over the waterfall.

On the Holyrood numbers - Labour just shy of being largest party, I think.
    And the Tories swapping Holyrood constituencies for regional seats. Net losses overall.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

A shit solution is just a shit solution. Rent control decreases the number of properties available, if it is set at a level that is much below the prevailing market rate.

We need more rented properties. Not less. We need more owned properties. We need more of every conceivable category.
  • Options

💥 Kaboom 💥

We have crossover.

Kinda.

SNP 36% (-2)
    Labour 32% (+4)
    Conservatives 18% (–)
    Lib Dems 8% (-2)
    Greens 2% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Alba 1% (+1)
    Other 0% (-2)

Labour 27% (+3)
    SNP 25% (-5)
    Conservatives 19% (–)
    Green 13% (+2)
    Lib Dems 10% (-3)
    Alba 2% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Shows why Flynn targeted Starmer at PMQs

This is a crisis time for the SNP

Yes Labour are the prime beneficiaries of SNP meltdown. If this continues the whole SNP parliamentary party will fit in a motorhome.
  • Options
    Humza Yousaf's approval rating is -17%, down 10% in one month.

Humza Yousaf Approval Rating in Scotland (30 April-2 May):

Disapprove: 39% (+9)
    Approve: 22% (-1)
    Net: -17% (-10)

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1653795354511396864?s=46
  • Options

This matters as well:

My Seat Projection:

Changes w/ GE2019.

That would have an interesting political effect - Labour as the largest party in all parts of the UK (excepting NI, of course), in the near future?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

We shall see. Remember Glenn Beck? And Bill O'Reilly? Few do anymore!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    eek said:

Mortimer said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Really - got a link to evidence to show that?
    OK, I misread a covid related figure.

But demographically, they're stuffed.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=5667781&page=1

"Deaths have outnumbered births in Germany since 1972, and the gap between births and deaths is continuously becoming bigger," explains Steffen Kröhnert, a social scientist at Berlin's Institute for Population and Development.

• Options
    Which of the following do Scottish voters think would be the better FM for Scotland? (30 April-2 May)

Yousaf v Ross:

Yousaf 37% (-2)
    Ross 25% (-3)

Yousaf v Sarwar:

Yousaf 31% (-6)
    Sarwar 29% (+1)

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1653796603776335872?s=46
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Rent control just removes the incentive to rent a property out. The end point of rent controls is no rental property except holiday lets.

And a market without rental property doesn't work for anyone who doesn't want or can't get a mortgage.
    Anecdotal, but a few reports in Edinburgh of landlords getting *creative* with evictions.

We have a rent cap at the mo.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

well certainly not your likely presidential candidates.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Back is with The Blaze, and Megyn Kelly is with SiriusXM. They’re both still making fortunes. Bill O’R has now retired IIRC.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    A German magazine has a cover story this week illustrated with an image of Charlie III in his regalia sitting on the lavatory. My German isn't good enough to translate the story title.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Anecdotal, but a few reports in Edinburgh of landlords getting *creative* with evictions.

We have a rent cap at the mo.
    In New York, they got to the point of murder over rent control. By both landlords and tenants.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A German magazine has a cover story this week illustrated with an image of Charlie III in his regalia sitting on the lavatory. My German isn't good enough to translate the story title.

My throne is full of shit?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,158
    I wonder if TUD still thinks Yousaf is doing an ok job
  • Options
    I’m struggling to come up with an analogy for just how fucked the SNP are under Yousaf’s leadership/Sturgeon’s legacy.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Though it is really good for the last 3 people in actual rent control properties....
  • Options

Lowest SNP vote share in any UK GE poll by any pollster since Oct 2014.

Scotland Westminster VI (30 April–2 May):

SNP 35% (-1)
    Labour 32% (+1)
    Conservative 18% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 3% (+1)
    Reform 2% (–)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 31 March–1 April

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1653792839698980865?s=46

I can't see many upsides of a Labour majority, but the demise of the Scottish Nasty Party and their hate filled agenda, is definitely one that I would welcome
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

And NOT making the kind of money you prophesy for Fucker.

As for whether or NOT he's truly presidential timber, perhaps for the Aryan Nations Party?

With the Sherrif of McCurtain Co, OK as his VP running mate?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    A German magazine has a cover stor

eristdoof said:

Chris said:

This is my favourite:

They did, he's called Roger
    Sicily had a couple of good ones in olden times since when it's been downhill for Rogers ever since.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Yousaf’s ratings are collapsing like Hannibal’s forces at Zama.
  • Options

I’m struggling to come up with an analogy for just how fucked the SNP are under Yousaf’s leadership/Sturgeon’s legacy.

Any ideas?

Karl Donitz?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Back is with The Blaze, and Megyn Kelly is with SiriusXM. They’re both still making fortunes. Bill O’R has now retired IIRC.
    Can you quantify "fortunes"? As for public impact, compared to their salad days, not so much . . .
  • Options
    I see Big Sam has a drink problem.

• Options

eek said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Sigh.

Though it is really good for the last 3 people in actual rent control properties....
    The problem is that no one wants to move to avoid getting hit by a high rate on a new tenancy. Stops efficient use of the housing stock, and can lead to landlords exploiting people if they can't afford to escape.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    IanB2 said:

The Germans are pretty obsessed by toilets
  • Options

Any ideas?

Karl Donitz?
    Already done that.

I feel sorry for Humza Yousaf, for incoming leaders, Humza Yousaf has received a hospital pass than can only rival the one Karl Dönitz received on the 30th of April 1945 but Yousaf also seems very unlucky.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/04/18/kate-forbes-must-be-glad-to-have-lost-the-snp-leadership-contest/
  • Options

Any ideas?

"the electoral situation has developed not necessarily to the SNP's advantage"

That's the traditional approach.

"In the situation of a stepmum entering the port social recreational entertaining industry. In Hiroshima, on the morning of August 6 1945."

Perhaps?

Or...

Pinball: [before attempting to disguise convicts as prison guards] I don't know how to tell ya this, Cyrus, but we are three white guys short. Or as they say in Ebonics, "We be fucked."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

As for whether or NOT he's truly presidential timber, perhaps for the Aryan Nations Party?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/
    This is the kind of nonsense which is turning the US into the Great Republic of Bananastan or Venezuala in english.

Until your electorate decide that they would like to elect people under 60 as their president it will just keep getting worse.
  • Options

Yousaf’s ratings are collapsing like Hannibal’s forces at Zama.
    Yousaf Humza in Scotland 2023 = Kim Campbell in Canada 1993
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    SKS £9,000 is actually £62,590 and the point he was making Sunak is out of touch.

The point he made was so is he

Useless cnut
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

This is the kind of nonsense which is turning the US into the Great Republic of Bananastan or Venezuala in english.

Until your electorate decide that they would like to elect people under 60 as their president it will just keep getting worse.
    What does age of POTUS got to do with THIS kind of pigshit from Fucker & his KKK buddies?
  • Options

Any ideas?

Karl Donitz?
    Already done that.

I feel sorry for Humza Yousaf, for incoming leaders, Humza Yousaf has received a hospital pass than can only rival the one Karl Dönitz received on the 30th of April 1945 but Yousaf also seems very unlucky.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/04/18/kate-forbes-must-be-glad-to-have-lost-the-snp-leadership-contest/
    How about David Moyes then?
  • Options

I actually think he's doing an ok job, in the circumstances. The constant media huddles are clever; no one can accuse him of being secretive.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Any ideas?

"In the situation of a stepmum entering the port social recreational entertaining industry. In Hiroshima, on the morning of August 6 1945."

Perhaps?

Or...

Pinball: [before attempting to disguise convicts as prison guards] I don't know how to tell ya this, Cyrus, but we are three white guys short. Or as they say in Ebonics, "We be fucked."
    I forgot

Ripley: It's very pretty, Bishop, but what're we looking for?
    Bishop: [pointing at gas coming from the reactor] That's it. The emergency venting.
    Private Hudson: Oh, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that-that-that just beats it all.
    Corporal Hicks: How long till it blows?
    Bishop: Four hours. With a blast radius of thirty kilometers, equal to about forty megatons.
    Corporal Hicks: We got problems.
  • Options

SKS £9,000 is actually £62,590 and the point he was making Sunak is out of touch.

Useless cnut

Seems to be less useless and out of touch than his predecessor: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyns-out-touch-britain-6567362

Mr. Thicky fan please explain?
  • Options
    Does anyone have any idea as to when the 'potential' Rutherglen by-election might take place? That really would give us some idea as to how bad the SNP are doing right now.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

What does age of POTUS got to do with THIS kind of pigshit from Fucker & his KKK buddies?
    Anf there;s the problem you are so caught up in trying to crush the other guy you dont actually see the damage you are doing to your own country.
  • Options

Does anyone have any idea as to when the 'potential' Rutherglen by-election might take place? That really would give us some idea as to how bad the SNP are doing right now.

Not for a while.

Margaret Ferrier is appealing her punishment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

You realise that the Tucker Carlson quote you posted is an appeal against political violence? If you think it's shocking, you should see some of the things London liberals said during the 2011 riots.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

At a quick glance that would rule out approximately half US Presidents who have been over 60
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

You realise that the Tucker Carlson quote you posted is an appeal against political violence? If you think it's shocking, you should see some of the things London liberals said during the 2011 riots.
    It IS shocking because he admitted that he had to try quite hard to have sympathy for someone being beaten by a mob and he also said something to the effect that outnumbering people is "not how white men fight?"

You don't think that is shocking? I think most people think it is. Because it is.
  • Options
    Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    When you see things like "Labour need a 11 pt lead to win a majority" it's not taking this into account. If this happeneds it's maybe 5-6pts.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I think your comprehension is in need of a refit
  • Options

Any ideas?

Perhaps?

Or...

I forgot

Bishop: [pointing at gas coming from the reactor] That's it. The emergency venting.
    Private Hudson: Oh, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that-that-that just beats it all.
    Bishop: Four hours. With a blast radius of thirty kilometers, equal to about forty megatons.
    Sir Richard Mottram's quote?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Can you quantify "fortunes"? As for public impact, compared to their salad days, not so much . . .
    Glenn Beck is making more now working for himself, than he ever made working for anyone else. You’re right about the public impact mostly being with the more mainstream channels, but the likes of Glenn Beck and Ben Shapiro each have close to a million people paying their companies ten bucks a month.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

At a quick glance that would rule out approximately half US Presidents who have been over 60
    yes and the current age gap is extreme, the US needs to skip a generation from the current offering to get a president more in tune with the nation, Doddery old nuts like Biden and Trump are doing nothing for the US.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Anf there;s the problem you are so caught up in trying to crush the other guy you dont actually see the damage you are doing to your own country.
    Again, what does age of POTUS got do with it?

And what do you think about what Fucker & the Sheriff are spouting?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

Useless cnut

Is £62,590 the annual cost of heating Rishi's pool then? 😈
  • Options

Any ideas?

Perhaps?

Or...

I forgot

"This situation has to get un-fucked right now!" - Colm Meaney in Con-Air.
  • Options

Useless cnut

I've got an idea. I can't imagine why I didn't think of it earlier.

DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Glenn Beck is making more now working for himself, than he ever made working for anyone else. You’re right about the public impact mostly being with the more mainstream channels, but the likes of Glenn Beck and Ben Shapiro each have close to a million people paying their companies ten bucks a month.
    Source(s)? And are you arguing that Glenn Beck is MORE influential now that formerly?

Personally do NOT care a red cent about his (or others) bank balance, which seems to be your (and Ab's) focus.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Again, what does age of POTUS got do with it?

And what do you think about what Fucker & the Sheriff are spouting?
    The age of your current president is an issue, its why most of the US electortate dont want him to stand because he makes too many age related mistakes to do the job properly. Smae with Trump.

On your second point I dont have an opinion it doesnt interest me that much,
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    When you see things like "Labour need a 11 pt lead to win a majority" it's not taking this into account. If this happeneds it's maybe 5-6pts.

What is "this"?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Source(s)? And are you arguing that Glenn Beck is MORE influential now that formerly?

Personally do NOT care a red cent about his (or others) bank balance, which seems to be your (and Ab's) focus.
    I’m saying he’s making massive bank, even if he doesn’t have the status in mainstream commentary that he once enjoyed.
This discussion has been closed.