Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the Coronation overshadow likely Tory losses in the locals? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just seen Sunak vs Starmer at PMQs and what an embarrassment Sunak is as Prime Minister. King of the NIMBYs banging on about giving "local control" to stop housing, when we have a housing crisis.

If I hadn't already decided I won't vote Tory tomorrow, that would be a clincher.

Cheshire and Amersham was a disappointment for seeing the Lib Dems win based on a disreputable NIMBY campaign, but the Tories have gone wholeheartedly to the dark side.

I'm never voting for them again, until they become the party of aspiration again - which I can't ever see happening under Sunak.

It will happen, but it's going to be a long slog. The Conservatives are prisoners of their electorate, who are now overwhelmingly retired homeowners who see no reason for any more development, thank you. I don't see how the Conservatives move to a different coalition without a purgative spell in opposition.

Give him his due, Starmer is at least making "getting it" noises, though the devil will be in the details.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmers-growth-plan-is-built-on-houses-79jq7mz6r
    Yep. More of that and I might actually vote Labour next time, despite having thought I'd never do so again after Brown trashed the economy with his deficit spending.

If Starmer can come up with a plan that involves getting stuff done, like construction, to move the economy instead of just throwing taxpayers money at every problem (like Brown) or just shutting up shop and managing decline (like Sunak) then he will deserve a term in Downing Street.

Not holding my breath though.
    Concreting over the Green Belt would be electoral poison for Labour. For example, in my old home town of Crawley (a must win for Labour at the next GE) a plan for a vast housing estate on the Ifield golf course was met with local fury and organized protests. If Sir Keir goes for 'Build, baby, build' then he's an idiot. On this issue HYUFD is right, right and right again!
    Indeed, we need some new housing but it should be focused on brownbelt land first. Any government which tries to concrete over the greenbelt will be hugely unpopular
    Ah yes, that fictional canard "the brownbelt" again.

There's no such thing. The countries population has increased by 20% in a generation, there simply isn't unused land going idle to fit those houses into, the only realistic way you can increase by 20% your population is to increase by 20% the land being used. 🤦‍♂️

Which would be an almost insignificant eating into greenfield land, but treating all green land as holy places never to be touched is the problem. Typically by people who themselves live in areas they'd consider green but their own house is an exception clearly as its already there.
    Tighten immigration controls and that reduces pressure on the demand side too
    No, it doesn't.

You could stop immigration overnight and all the housing problems that exist today would still exist tomorrow.

Unless you want to enforce mass-deportations, then everyone who lives here still needs a home to live in, and children who grow up whether children of people who migrated or not, will need a home of their own too.
    This isn't actually true unless you also stop emigration and close the borders completely.
    Emigration isn't of a scale to close the housing shortage.
    Over half a million a year would make a considerable dent in it.
    It'd take 20 years at that rate to get us back to the population we had when the housing system broke down and house prices exploded.

Though that entails a total and complete halt of immigration, which is never going to happen. Even the most draconian suggestions of immigration control are suggesting still-positive net migration (eg Cameron and May's "tens of thousands" pledge). Even if net migration came all the way down to zero, which isn't going to happen, emigration would be doing nothing to ease the housing crisis.
    Except that it is not a human right to own a house. You see it as such, I guess, because you have either found it difficult to buy a house or maybe still have not. You have been quite brutal in your views on here on other matters (e.g. people catching covid, businesses going bust because of Brexit), so I will be brutal with you: The reality is that if you earn enough, you can still afford to buy, so rather than whinging about it Barty, work harder/smarter and afford a house. Alternatively you can rent a property and spend hours on here whinging about how unfair it all is.
    Um I don't think BartholomewRoberts is just talking about house prices he's talking about rents as well.

I am treating Barty to a bit of his cold, unfeeling right wing medicine. I actually agree that the system needs some radical solutions. I just don't have sympathy for someone like Barty who normally suggests that anyone who complains needs to be told to pull their socks up or suck it up, as in the examples I gave.

The difficulty with housing is that parties of all stripes are (rightly) worried about creating conditions that cause a house price crash. Barty thinks this would be a wonderful thing, and whatever it did to the economy and individuals is just tough shit -the old suck it up lack of sympathy for which he is infamous. But, like with most of his views, people who actually understand these things disagree and understand that even muppets like Barty (who IIRC was a supporter of Trussconomics) will suffer significantly.
    If you doubled house building, it would just reduce the rate of increase in housing cost.

To crash house prices would take something like building a half dozen new Oxfords. Each year.
    Strict rent controls would probably drive prices down. I'd like to see that in the Overton Window. But prices are at least going the right way now. Despite April's surprise uptick and the bullish commentary of sundry estate agents I remain of the opinion this new normal of 5% money rather than 1% will lead to quite a sizeable negative correction over the next couple of years. I think it has to really. Still too high though imo. It can't be healthy that housing accounts for such a large proportion of our wealth; and for renters and first time buyers that so much of their income must be devoted to paying for a place to live.
    Sigh.

Rent control reduces prices for the few and contracts the market. It's only been demonstrated everywhere rent control has been applied to a limited housing market.

Ask New Yorkers about Rent Control.

The way to reduce rents is to increase the number of properties until the market stops clearing. Then the over priced and shit properties will not get rented.
    To crash house prices, all you need is for Roger to say that they are going up.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    darkage said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just seen Sunak vs Starmer at PMQs and what an embarrassment Sunak is as Prime Minister. King of the NIMBYs banging on about giving "local control" to stop housing, when we have a housing crisis.

If I hadn't already decided I won't vote Tory tomorrow, that would be a clincher.

Cheshire and Amersham was a disappointment for seeing the Lib Dems win based on a disreputable NIMBY campaign, but the Tories have gone wholeheartedly to the dark side.

I'm never voting for them again, until they become the party of aspiration again - which I can't ever see happening under Sunak.

It will happen, but it's going to be a long slog. The Conservatives are prisoners of their electorate, who are now overwhelmingly retired homeowners who see no reason for any more development, thank you. I don't see how the Conservatives move to a different coalition without a purgative spell in opposition.

Give him his due, Starmer is at least making "getting it" noises, though the devil will be in the details.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmers-growth-plan-is-built-on-houses-79jq7mz6r
    Yep. More of that and I might actually vote Labour next time, despite having thought I'd never do so again after Brown trashed the economy with his deficit spending.

If Starmer can come up with a plan that involves getting stuff done, like construction, to move the economy instead of just throwing taxpayers money at every problem (like Brown) or just shutting up shop and managing decline (like Sunak) then he will deserve a term in Downing Street.

Concreting over the Green Belt would be electoral poison for Labour. For example, in my old home town of Crawley (a must win for Labour at the next GE) a plan for a vast housing estate on the Ifield golf course was met with local fury and organized protests. If Sir Keir goes for 'Build, baby, build' then he's an idiot. On this issue HYUFD is right, right and right again!
    Indeed, we need some new housing but it should be focused on brownbelt land first. Any government which tries to concrete over the greenbelt will be hugely unpopular

There's no such thing. The countries population has increased by 20% in a generation, there simply isn't unused land going idle to fit those houses into, the only realistic way you can increase by 20% your population is to increase by 20% the land being used. 🤦‍♂️

Which would be an almost insignificant eating into greenfield land, but treating all green land as holy places never to be touched is the problem. Typically by people who themselves live in areas they'd consider green but their own house is an exception clearly as its already there.
    No, it doesn't.

You could stop immigration overnight and all the housing problems that exist today would still exist tomorrow.

Unless you want to enforce mass-deportations, then everyone who lives here still needs a home to live in, and children who grow up whether children of people who migrated or not, will need a home of their own too.
    This isn't actually true unless you also stop emigration and close the borders completely.
    It'd take 20 years at that rate to get us back to the population we had when the housing system broke down and house prices exploded.

Though that entails a total and complete halt of immigration, which is never going to happen. Even the most draconian suggestions of immigration control are suggesting still-positive net migration (eg Cameron and May's "tens of thousands" pledge). Even if net migration came all the way down to zero, which isn't going to happen, emigration would be doing nothing to ease the housing crisis.
    Except that it is not a human right to own a house. You see it as such, I guess, because you have either found it difficult to buy a house or maybe still have not. You have been quite brutal in your views on here on other matters (e.g. people catching covid, businesses going bust because of Brexit), so I will be brutal with you: The reality is that if you earn enough, you can still afford to buy, so rather than whinging about it Barty, work harder/smarter and afford a house. Alternatively you can rent a property and spend hours on here whinging about how unfair it all is.
    Um I don't think BartholomewRoberts is just talking about house prices he's talking about rents as well.

I am treating Barty to a bit of his cold, unfeeling right wing medicine. I actually agree that the system needs some radical solutions. I just don't have sympathy for someone like Barty who normally suggests that anyone who complains needs to be told to pull their socks up or suck it up, as in the examples I gave.

The difficulty with housing is that parties of all stripes are (rightly) worried about creating conditions that cause a house price crash. Barty thinks this would be a wonderful thing, and whatever it did to the economy and individuals is just tough shit -the old suck it up lack of sympathy for which he is infamous. But, like with most of his views, people who actually understand these things disagree and understand that even muppets like Barty (who IIRC was a supporter of Trussconomics) will suffer significantly.
    If you doubled house building, it would just reduce the rate of increase in housing cost.

To crash house prices would take something like building a half dozen new Oxfords. Each year.
    The problem that you run in to is that there is a natural limit for private sector housebuilding - there is only so much capacity in the market for new builds and developers need to make a profit and it would be commercially suicidal for them to flood the market so that house prices in an area fall. You can tweak around a bit at the edges (Self build, custom build etc) but ultimately the only way that housing numbers will really increase is by more building of council housing, or social housing. This situation just proves itself again and again to be the case even though people like to tell themselves 'this time it is different' or they create myths that things like Modern Methods of Construction is a game changer.

The best policy would be to match the construction of new private housing with new social housing and also to encourage large scale build to rent investments.
    Mass building of social housing would have the additional benefit of forcing private rents down, and indeed sales of buy to let's that were no longer profitable.

Indeed wasn't that pretty much what we did for a few decades up to the 1980's?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Tucker Carlson January 7, 2021 — 04:18:04 PM UTC
    A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

SSI - Am wondering, what is this Fucker's PB moniker?

Is that real and is he still employed. It's not written by a malfunctioning AI is it?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/business/media/tucker-carlson-text-message-white-men.html

"A text message sent by Tucker Carlson that set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion-dollar defamation trial showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race.

The discovery of the message contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing. . . ."
    He'll be rehired and on a higher salary
    No chance. He’ll either get hired by one of the new media companies such as Rumble, Spotify, The Blaze, Daily Wire etc, or he’ll launch his own new media company. It’s a massive business these days, and he will likely end up making at least double his reported $35m Fox News salary.
    We shall see. Remember Glenn Beck? And Bill O'Reilly? Few do anymore!
    well certainly not your likely presidential candidates.
    And NOT making the kind of money you prophesy for Fucker.

As for whether or NOT he's truly presidential timber, perhaps for the Aryan Nations Party?

With the Sherrif of McCurtain Co, OK as his VP running mate?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/
    This is the kind of nonsense which is turning the US into the Great Republic of Bananastan or Venezuala in english.

Until your electorate decide that they would like to elect people under 60 as their president it will just keep getting worse.
    What does age of POTUS got to do with THIS kind of pigshit from Fucker & his KKK buddies?
    You realise that the Tucker Carlson quote you posted is an appeal against political violence? If you think it's shocking, you should see some of the things London liberals said during the 2011 riots.
    What a crock. Since Fucker's text confirms that his dogwhistling to Aryan Nations types (echoing Trump) are NOT just rhetorical BS.

THIS is why it was smoking gun for bleeding heart liberal wokeists like Murdoch & Co.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

I’m struggling to come up with an analogy for just how fucked the SNP are under Yousaf’s leadership/Sturgeon’s legacy.

Any ideas?

Karl Donitz?
    Already done that.

I feel sorry for Humza Yousaf, for incoming leaders, Humza Yousaf has received a hospital pass than can only rival the one Karl Dönitz received on the 30th of April 1945 but Yousaf also seems very unlucky.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/04/18/kate-forbes-must-be-glad-to-have-lost-the-snp-leadership-contest/
    How about David Moyes then?
    Come on you Irons!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

Is that real and is he still employed. It's not written by a malfunctioning AI is it?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/business/media/tucker-carlson-text-message-white-men.html

"A text message sent by Tucker Carlson that set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion-dollar defamation trial showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race.

The discovery of the message contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing. . . ."
    No chance. He’ll either get hired by one of the new media companies such as Rumble, Spotify, The Blaze, Daily Wire etc, or he’ll launch his own new media company. It’s a massive business these days, and he will likely end up making at least double his reported $35m Fox News salary.
    Back is with The Blaze, and Megyn Kelly is with SiriusXM. They’re both still making fortunes. Bill O’R has now retired IIRC.
    Can you quantify "fortunes"? As for public impact, compared to their salad days, not so much . . .
    Glenn Beck is making more now working for himself, than he ever made working for anyone else. You’re right about the public impact mostly being with the more mainstream channels, but the likes of Glenn Beck and Ben Shapiro each have close to a million people paying their companies ten bucks a month.
    Source(s)? And are you arguing that Glenn Beck is MORE influential now that formerly?

Personally do NOT care a red cent about his (or others) bank balance, which seems to be your (and Ab's) focus.
    I’m saying he’s making massive bank, even if he doesn’t have the status in mainstream commentary that he once enjoyed.
    Unless you are managing Beck's investment portfolio, why should you - give a rat's bippy about that?

And how do you know he's rolling in the dough, as you keep saying?

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500
    Andy_JS said:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    When you see things like "Labour need a 11 pt lead to win a majority" it's not taking this into account. If this happeneds it's maybe 5-6pts.

What is "this"?
    Collapse of the previously stout party. (North of the border anyway.)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

As for whether or NOT he's truly presidential timber, perhaps for the Aryan Nations Party?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/
    This is the kind of nonsense which is turning the US into the Great Republic of Bananastan or Venezuala in english.

Until your electorate decide that they would like to elect people under 60 as their president it will just keep getting worse.
    What does age of POTUS got to do with THIS kind of pigshit from Fucker & his KKK buddies?
    Anf there;s the problem you are so caught up in trying to crush the other guy you dont actually see the damage you are doing to your own country.
    Again, what does age of POTUS got do with it?

And what do you think about what Fucker & the Sheriff are spouting?
    The age of your current president is an issue, its why most of the US electortate dont want him to stand because he makes too many age related mistakes to do the job properly. Smae with Trump.

On your second point I dont have an opinion it doesnt interest me that much,
    What are the "age related mistakes" specifically, compared with the garden-variety kind?

Mad Vlad likely disagrees with your analysis of both #45 and #46, just in different ways!

And as to second point, that IS the point here. YOUR point being tangential at best, methinks.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

I’m struggling to come up with an analogy for just how fucked the SNP are under Yousaf’s leadership/Sturgeon’s legacy.

Any ideas?

"the electoral situation has developed not necessarily to the SNP's advantage"

That's the traditional approach.

"In the situation of a stepmum entering the port social recreational entertaining industry. In Hiroshima, on the morning of August 6 1945."

Perhaps?

Or...

Pinball: [before attempting to disguise convicts as prison guards] I don't know how to tell ya this, Cyrus, but we are three white guys short. Or as they say in Ebonics, "We be fucked."
    I forgot

Ripley: It's very pretty, Bishop, but what're we looking for?
    Bishop: [pointing at gas coming from the reactor] That's it. The emergency venting.
    Private Hudson: Oh, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that-that-that just beats it all.
    Corporal Hicks: How long till it blows?
    Bishop: Four hours. With a blast radius of thirty kilometers, equal to about forty megatons.
    Corporal Hicks: We got problems.
    "This situation has to get un-fucked right now!" - Colm Meaney in Con-Air.
    mot de Cambronne ?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330

Any ideas?

Scottish independence is finished. It’s the most finished thing since Finnbar McFinish crossed the finish line in the Finnish marathon
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Roger said:

SKS £9,000 is actually £62,590 and the point he was making Sunak is out of touch.

The point he made was so is he

Useless cnut

I've got an idea. I can't imagine why I didn't think of it earlier.

DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!
    I haven't.

and won't be doing.

Thanks
  • Options

Roger said:

SKS £9,000 is actually £62,590 and the point he was making Sunak is out of touch.

The point he made was so is he

Useless cnut

I've got an idea. I can't imagine why I didn't think of it earlier.

DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!
    I haven't.

and won't be doing.

Thanks
    No Tory poll leads since December 6th 2021.

BJO fans please explain!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Economists disagree about almost everything. But, you won’t find much disagreement about rent controls. They kill the market, and leave it to guys like Nicholas Hoogstraten to buy out decent landlords at a discount, and then evict the rent-controlled tenants with menaces.

Security of tenure works for commercial tenants because rents are set at open market levels.
  • Options
    Incredible to think that only a few months ago a 2nd Scottish indyref and a YES vote seemed an imminent threat and a real driving force in British politics - to the extent that it’s a major plot point in Netflix series The Diplomat

Now it’s way way off in the nit-going-to-happen distance
  • Options

Any ideas?

"the electoral situation has developed not necessarily to the SNP's advantage"

That's the traditional approach.

"In the situation of a stepmum entering the port social recreational entertaining industry. In Hiroshima, on the morning of August 6 1945."

Perhaps?

Or...

Pinball: [before attempting to disguise convicts as prison guards] I don't know how to tell ya this, Cyrus, but we are three white guys short. Or as they say in Ebonics, "We be fucked."
    I forgot

Ripley: It's very pretty, Bishop, but what're we looking for?
    Bishop: [pointing at gas coming from the reactor] That's it. The emergency venting.
    Private Hudson: Oh, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that-that-that just beats it all.
    Corporal Hicks: How long till it blows?
    Bishop: Four hours. With a blast radius of thirty kilometers, equal to about forty megatons.
    Corporal Hicks: We got problems.
    "This situation has to get un-fucked right now!" - Colm Meaney in Con-Air.
    mot de Cambronne ?

Nick Cage: Many hands make light work. That's what my daddy taught me!
    Malkovich: Do you know what my father taught me? Nothing!
    Nick Cage: Self-taught man!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    I see the SNP have appointed their new auditors.

I’m not going to comment on the fact their own annual confirmation statement was overdue as that would be unbecoming of another professional.

Instead I’ll simply say I’m delighted the SNP now see the value of the U.K. single market as they appoint a firm in Manchester…

https://twitter.com/AndyEMorrison/status/1653763778046046209?s=20
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

You realise that the Tucker Carlson quote you posted is an appeal against political violence? If you think it's shocking, you should see some of the things London liberals said during the 2011 riots.
    It IS shocking because he admitted that he had to try quite hard to have sympathy for someone being beaten by a mob and he also said something to the effect that outnumbering people is "not how white men fight?"

You don't think that is shocking? I think most people think it is. Because it is.
    It sounds very human to me. And honest. He has a bad, evil thought, then admits to it, and says he’s ashamed of it, and he sees that it makes him as bad as his enemies
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Anf there;s the problem you are so caught up in trying to crush the other guy you dont actually see the damage you are doing to your own country.

The age of your current president is an issue, its why most of the US electortate dont want him to stand because he makes too many age related mistakes to do the job properly. Smae with Trump.

What are the "age related mistakes" specifically, compared with the garden-variety kind?

Mad Vlad likely disagrees with your analysis of both #45 and #46, just in different ways!

And as to second point, that IS the point here. YOUR point being tangential at best, methinks.
    Oh lets think, constantly tripping over, mistaking his sister for his wife, calling out for colleagues who are dead, and those are just the ones we see.

On the second point you'll be relieved to know Trump is being interviewed on UK TV by Farage tonight, it might even make the US sound interesting but I doubt it.

# clash of the zimmerframes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Humza Yousaf's approval rating is -17%, down 10% in one month.

Humza Yousaf Approval Rating in Scotland (30 April-2 May):

Disapprove: 39% (+9)
    Approve: 22% (-1)
    Net: -17% (-10)

Changes +/- 31 March-1 April

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-indep…

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1653795354511396864?s=46

As predicted, the don't knows are rapidly turning into "No. Just - NO!"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Oh lets think, constantly tripping over, mistaking his sister for his wife, calling out for colleagues who are dead, and those are just the ones we see.

On the second point you'll be relieved to know Trump is being interviewed on UK TV by Farage tonight, it might even make the US sound interesting but I doubt it.

Lizzie lived to the ripe old age of 96. Hence this weekend's exuberance.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited May 2023

I’m not going to comment on the fact their own annual confirmation statement was overdue as that would be unbecoming of another professional.

Instead I’ll simply say I’m delighted the SNP now see the value of the U.K. single market as they appoint a firm in Manchester…

I'm sorry, that is balls.

Confirmation statements/director appointments & resignations/annual accounts often appear overdue if they are due in the last 14-21 days.

CH take time to process these things online even if you submit them 10 days or so before the deadlines.

Red flags for non PLCs is being a month overdue.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Almost but not quite feels a little harsh - he's not really done anything yet, that should be worth a solid no movement?
  • Options
    The answer to the header question is no. A political slaughter won't be that quickly forgotten.
  • Options
    I've bought quite a few coronation memorabilia today.

These will be worth a few bob in a few years as it becomes inevitable to be all that this is the last coronation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Almost but not quite feels a little harsh - he's not really done anything yet, that should be worth a solid no movement?
    Things will get better for Humza and the SNP if Nicola Sturgeon gets arrested.
  • Options
    As a measure of how bad things are for the Scottish Indy movement, James Kelly - a onetime pb-er - has announced that he is likely to close his (rather good) scotgoespop indy blog

I genuinely like that blog, and James is a decent thoughtful Nat. So I feel sorry in different ways

But it is significant. The cyber Nat army is folding its tents and stealing away into the night. The disappearance - for the medium term - of Scottish Indy as a going concern will have profound effects on UK politics
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

What you cite re: Biden, is stuff that he's been doing, as I can personally recall, since he was elected to US Senate at the ripe old age of . . . wait for it . . . 29.

(He turned 30 by time he was sworn into office, the constitutional minimum age.)

As for what you say re: Trump and his little buddy Farage, fail to see how that supports your argument. Unless your forecasting that #45 will need a drool bucket for the interview?

What interests me is, will DT take NF to task, for acting as RDS's quasi-official greeter on his recent UK visit/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

IanB2 said:

A German magazine has a cover story this week illustrated with an image of Charlie III in his regalia sitting on the lavatory. My German isn't good enough to translate the story title.

The Germans are pretty obsessed by toilets
    Bloody awful toilets, with their Shit Shelf.
  • Options

These will be worth a few bob in a few years as it becomes inevitable to be all that this is the last coronation.

Sorry, but with so much tat having been produced there will be no scarcity and thus no value in your investment. It's like when they produced loads of new No.1 comic editions and were stunned they were not as valuable as super rare editions from the 40s.

I assume most of it is made cheaply in China as well, so it probably has no quality aspect.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Political Parties' Favourability in Scotland (30 April-2 May):

Labour +12% (+1)
    SNP -4% (-7)
    Plaid Cymru -8% (-3)
    Lib Dems -9% (-3)
    Green Party -12% (-6)
    Reform UK -30% (+2)
    Alba -36% (-2)
    Conservative Party -38% (-4)

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-independence-referendum-westminster-voting-intention-30-april-2-may-2023
  • Options

I stocked up on Union Jack thongs earlier on.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Lizzie didn't need to be the most powerful person in the world of course.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Lizzie didn't need to be the most powerful person in the world of course.
    So the Monarchy serves so no useful function, then? :lol:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

People have been saying that since the 1640s though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    All three of the failed US banks (SVB, Signature and First Republic ) have 1 thing in common.

KPMG was their auditor...
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

The problem that you run in to is that there is a natural limit for private sector housebuilding - there is only so much capacity in the market for new builds and developers need to make a profit and it would be commercially suicidal for them to flood the market so that house prices in an area fall. You can tweak around a bit at the edges (Self build, custom build etc) but ultimately the only way that housing numbers will really increase is by more building of council housing, or social housing. This situation just proves itself again and again to be the case even though people like to tell themselves 'this time it is different' or they create myths that things like Modern Methods of Construction is a game changer.

The best policy would be to match the construction of new private housing with new social housing and also to encourage large scale build to rent investments.
    Mass building of social housing would have the additional benefit of forcing private rents down, and indeed sales of buy to let's that were no longer profitable.

I think that high rents are a product of high build costs, compliance with safety/environmental regulation, and high interest rates and it is just going to be the same whether it is social housing or private rental sector housing. However there are some economies of scale that start to kick in if you manage a whole block of housing through a company rather than the odd unit.

If a flat costs £150k to build, and interest rates are 5%, then it is going to cost £7500 per year just to service the debt. That is £625 per month before any costs are added on.
    In the end rents are heading to be well over £1000 per month everywhere because of this basic underlying inflation.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

What you cite re: Biden, is stuff that he's been doing, as I can personally recall, since he was elected to US Senate at the ripe old age of . . . wait for it . . . 29.

(He turned 30 by time he was sworn into office, the constitutional minimum age.)

As for what you say re: Trump and his little buddy Farage, fail to see how that supports your argument. Unless your forecasting that #45 will need a drool bucket for the interview?

What interests me is, will DT take NF to task, for acting as RDS's quasi-official greeter on his recent UK visit/
    He's too old for the job and should be put out to grass. Youll struggle to find many people outside died blue democrats who disagree.

On second point Im not interst in US TV personalities despite your best attempts to make me so. When the US decides its a serious country again maybe Ill change my mind.
  • Options
    Never heard of him, but I like his attitude of "Look, it's weird, but why turn down an invite?".

Nick Cave has denied being a monarchist or a royalist after it was revealed he is attending the coronation of King Charles III, saying he “hold[s] an inexplicable emotional attachment to the royals”.

Writing in his newsletter the Red Hand Files, in reply to letters from three Australians and one Brit – some incredulous at the news he would be attending the coronation as part of the Australian delegation – Cave described himself as “not a monarchist, nor am I a royalist, nor am I an ardent republican for that matter”.

But he added “what I am also not is so spectacularly incurious about the world and the way it works, so ideologically captured, so damn grouchy, as to refuse an invitation to what will more than likely be the most important historical event in the UK of our age. Not just the most important, but the strangest, the weirdest.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/03/nick-cave-reveals-inexplicable-attachment-to-british-royals-ahead-of-attending-kings-coronation
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    A
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

I think that high rents are a product of high build costs, compliance with safety/environmental regulation, and high interest rates and it is just going to be the same whether it is social housing or private rental sector housing. However there are some economies of scale that start to kick in if you manage a whole block of housing through a company rather than the odd unit.

If a flat costs £150k to build, and interest rates are 5%, then it is going to cost £7500 per year just to service the debt. That is £625 per month before any costs are added on.
    In the end rents are heading to be well over £1000 per month everywhere because of this basic underlying inflation.

More than half of building costs are labour. A large part of the wages of builders goes on… yes, accommodation.
  • Options

borrowing your mother's underwear now ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

It IS shocking because he admitted that he had to try quite hard to have sympathy for someone being beaten by a mob and he also said something to the effect that outnumbering people is "not how white men fight?"

You don't think that is shocking? I think most people think it is. Because it is.
    It sounds very human to me. And honest. He has a bad, evil thought, then admits to it, and says he’s ashamed of it, and he sees that it makes him as bad as his enemies
    Yes, that's what I thought.
    Imagine some left wing mouth talking about seeing three antifa thugs beating up someone in a MAGA hat and going through similar feelings. Entirely imaginable and wouldn't attract any if the same sort of opprobrium.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

How strange, then, that Rupert Murdoch and his minions at Fox did NOT see it in that light?

Instead, they FIRED Carlson, then threw in the towel versus Dominion, at cost of $787.4m NOT counting Fox own legal costs.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn't.

Strict rent controls would probably drive prices down. I'd like to see that in the Overton Window. But prices are at least going the right way now. Despite April's surprise uptick and the bullish commentary of sundry estate agents I remain of the opinion this new normal of 5% money rather than 1% will lead to quite a sizeable negative correction over the next couple of years. I think it has to really. Still too high though imo. It can't be healthy that housing accounts for such a large proportion of our wealth; and for renters and first time buyers that so much of their income must be devoted to paying for a place to live.
    Sigh.

Rent control reduces prices for the few and contracts the market. It's only been demonstrated everywhere rent control has been applied to a limited housing market.

Ask New Yorkers about Rent Control.

The way to reduce rents is to increase the number of properties until the market stops clearing. Then the over priced and shit properties will not get rented.
    I only said Overton Window not a slam dunk sign off let alone a silver bullet. And I counter your New York with a Berlin.
    A shit solution is just a shit solution. Rent control decreases the number of properties available, if it is set at a level that is much below the prevailing market rate.

We need more rented properties. Not less. We need more owned properties. We need more of every conceivable category.
    Not in love with your reply - bit dogmatic - but I didn't 'off topic' you!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Things will get better for Humza and the SNP if Nicola Sturgeon gets arrested.
    I remember saying on here that Sturgeon’s legacy would be the same as Merkel’s - she would go from respected stateswoman to deeply questionable figure who made major errors

I was wrong. She has absolutely shot past Merkel in the devaluation stakes. It took Merkel’s legacy a couple of years to unravel, Sturgeon’s historic reputation is being shot to pieces in weeks. It is quite astonishing
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

He's too old for the job and should be put out to grass. Youll struggle to find many people outside died blue democrats who disagree.

On second point Im not interst in US TV personalities despite your best attempts to make me so. When the US decides its a serious country again maybe Ill change my mind.
    To quote (another) notable Fox commentator - Ha! Ha! Ha!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I don't think Trump's debits are mainly age related.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Yes, that's what I thought.
    Imagine some left wing mouth talking about seeing three antifa thugs beating up someone in a MAGA hat and going through similar feelings. Entirely imaginable and wouldn't attract any if the same sort of opprobrium.
    Does your whataboutism factor in Chancellorsville 2017?
  • Options
    I'm so using this quote in thread headers.

JOANNA Cherry has described the SNP as “intellectually dead from the neck up” and said it is sometimes hard for her to remain a member of it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23499126.joanna-cherry-snp-intellectually-dead-neck-up/?ref=twtrec
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

Friday - the focus will be on the local election results

Saturday - it's all about the Coronation!

Or to put it another way, the local election results will not be that exciting!

SPOILER ALERT - Charles will be confirmed as King, and his hag as Queen :)
    Do I take it The Sunil isn't a fan of the former Mrs Parker-Bowles? :D
    Let's just say Diana would have made a much more OK looking Queen :)
    You do know that she wouldn’t be 36 anymore?
    (apparently - if it's AI and the Mail say it then it must be right, right?)
    That's a cool mock up, but Di would have been a lot better preserved.
  • Options
    I wondered if any one has had experience of taking a job where they realised from the outset that they have a conflict with their line manager but apparent support from other people in the organisation, including senior management?
    Was it a good idea or a world of pain?
  • Options
    Blimey, they recruit Supreme Court Justices by website application thesedays?

https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/judicial-vacancy-2023.html

From having a comprehensible, easily navigable website, no robes when sitting in session and broadcasting proceedings, is the Supreme Court stealthily the most radical institution of the UK?

We know they have appointed people with no prior experience of judges, so any lawyers fancy a go?
  • Options

Nah, Mum's even more of a republican than I am :lol:
  • Options
    In my usual Wednesday evening pub sat pleasantly between the gentrified and not-gentrified bits of inner Manchester. Neither Ancoats nor Collyhurst strike me as obvious beds of royalism. Yet this pub is absolutely decorated to the nines with red, white and blue. It's obviously not in itself a declaration of fealty, but at the same time is a lot more enthusiastically pro-monarchy than I had expected.
    And in my local suburban centre all the shops are displaying flags. And I will be going to a street party on Saturday afternoon, because my wife thinks we ought to do something to mark the occasion and because the street in question closes itself off for a party at the drop of a hat.
    Greater Manchester is being a lot more enthusiastic about Chazcon than I expected. It's almost as enthusiastic as it was about Platty Jubes. That's not to say we're enthusiastic about him or his stupid oath. But this is not an institutiom which popular anger is bubbling over about.
    I was fairly sure, last September, that the current monarch would be the last. But I'm not now.
    If he is, it will be because he's fucked it up himself, not because the British were unwilling to give him a go.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I don't think Trump's debits are mainly age related.
    He;s in better shape than Biden, but it still doesnt explain why the US thinks electing a 76 year old to do a tough job is in their best interest. Im afraid at that age the body just goes. The mjor point in the next election is who is the VP
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    @RealStephenKerr

Leadership candidates Kate Forbes and Ash Regan both failed to back Humza's Government tonight.

The SNP civil war era is only just beginning.
  • Options

I'm so using this quote in thread headers.

JOANNA Cherry has described the SNP as “intellectually dead from the neck up” and said it is sometimes hard for her to remain a member of it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23499126.joanna-cherry-snp-intellectually-dead-neck-up/?ref=twtrec

There is a problem when people get so mad at their own side it does inevitably lead to it being silly that they have not quit.

It's like when Carswell explained why he quit the Tories, and made it sound so necessary and a result of long standing issues that it was less 'of course you had to leave' as 'why on earth did you stick around so long then? Cannot have been as bad as you say'.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    I see that it is going to have that persistent drizzle on Saturday in London which will soak through all the lackeys gathering to pledge medieval fealty to King Chaz.

Good.
  • Options
    Actual SNP bigwig here:

Joanna Cherry: SNP is 'intellectually dead from the neck up'

https://twitter.com/heraldpols/status/1653820356074037248?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Never heard of him, but I like his attitude of "Look, it's weird, but why turn down an invite?".

Nick Cave has denied being a monarchist or a royalist after it was revealed he is attending the coronation of King Charles III, saying he “hold[s] an inexplicable emotional attachment to the royals”.

Writing in his newsletter the Red Hand Files, in reply to letters from three Australians and one Brit – some incredulous at the news he would be attending the coronation as part of the Australian delegation – Cave described himself as “not a monarchist, nor am I a royalist, nor am I an ardent republican for that matter”.

But he added “what I am also not is so spectacularly incurious about the world and the way it works, so ideologically captured, so damn grouchy, as to refuse an invitation to what will more than likely be the most important historical event in the UK of our age. Not just the most important, but the strangest, the weirdest.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/03/nick-cave-reveals-inexplicable-attachment-to-british-royals-ahead-of-attending-kings-coronation

He did a good interview on unherd recently.
  • Options

I see that it is going to have that persistent drizzle on Saturday in London which will soak through all the lackeys gathering to pledge medieval fealty to King Chaz.

Good.

prostate playing up again ?
  • Options

Speaking of mums, for those watching any coronation coverage I advise against a drinking game for every time Her Majesty Elizabeth II is mentioned.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@RealStephenKerr

Leadership candidates Kate Forbes and Ash Regan both failed to back Humza's Government tonight.

The SNP civil war era is only just beginning.

Humza doesn't need them, he can just merge with the Greens!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited May 2023
    The drone attempt was most likely a false flag attack IMO.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    kle4 said:

He must have an odd notion of history if he thinks the coronation is going to be "the most important historical event in the UK of our age".

• Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

He must have an odd notion of history if he thinks the coronation is going to be "the most important historical event in the UK of our age".

Yes, laying it on a bit thick, but it'd still be worth going if getting an invite - if it is the last then what Republican wouldn't want to be there for that?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They certainly have form, but then again it makes them look pretty weak. What do they get in return from faking it? Does it enable some form of escalation that was not already on the table?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

In my usual Wednesday evening pub sat pleasantly between the gentrified and not-gentrified bits of inner Manchester. Neither Ancoats nor Collyhurst strike me as obvious beds of royalism. Yet this pub is absolutely decorated to the nines with red, white and blue. It's obviously not in itself a declaration of fealty, but at the same time is a lot more enthusiastically pro-monarchy than I had expected.
    And in my local suburban centre all the shops are displaying flags. And I will be going to a street party on Saturday afternoon, because my wife thinks we ought to do something to mark the occasion and because the street in question closes itself off for a party at the drop of a hat.
    Greater Manchester is being a lot more enthusiastic about Chazcon than I expected. It's almost as enthusiastic as it was about Platty Jubes. That's not to say we're enthusiastic about him or his stupid oath. But this is not an institutiom which popular anger is bubbling over about.
    I was fairly sure, last September, that the current monarch would be the last. But I'm not now.
    If he is, it will be because he's fucked it up himself, not because the British were unwilling to give him a go.

The monarchy will be here in 100 years

People still support it by 2 to 1

To get massive constitutional change you generally need the opposite, people wanting that change by 2 to 1

The English have had a monarchy since the late 6th century AD. The idea it’s gonna suddenly disappear coz we’ve got a quirky, elderly, slightly annoying new king with sausage fingers is adolescently absurd. Juvenile fantasy. Indeed I suggest the coming turbulence from AI (and much else) will make people cling to this symbol of stability

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1653815873553981467

ISW
    @TheStudyofWar
    The alleged document suggests the #Kremlin is preparing for – if not expecting – Ukrainian successes and is planning to mitigate demoralization in the Russian information space. http://isw.pub/UkrWar050223

ISW
    @TheStudyofWar
    2/ This is an important Russian adaptation from previous Ukrainian counteroffensives in Kherson and Kharkiv, which produced dramatic shocks and demoralization in both the Russian military and the Russian information space that the #Kremlin likely seeks to mitigate.

LOL.
  • Options

Good.

Ooh, you miserable bugger!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    kle4 said:

Speaking of mums, for those watching any coronation coverage I advise against a drinking game for every time Her Majesty Elizabeth II is mentioned.
    It'd be a sure-fire way of ensuring you never get to watch another coronation again ...
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Yes, for a start there’s Brexit
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Who?
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

He's also well worth investigating for his musical output. One of the finest artists of our age. Start with Red Right Hand, Nature Boy, the Carny, the Mercy Seat, and Lie Down Here and Be My Girl (off the top of my head).
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    Scott_xP said:

The Scots are too canny to take it on?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

They certainly have form, but then again it makes them look pretty weak. What do they get in return from faking it? Does it enable some form of escalation that was not already on the table?
    Yes: cover for attempting the assassination of Zelenskyy
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I guess it ‘allows’ them to target Zelensky for assassination - but surely they’ve been trying that, anyhow?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Good.

I'm afraid that "lets have the subjects recite the oath of fealty in front of their televisions" did it for me. I'm with the Celtic supporters.
  • Options
    Trump interview :quote : I got on just great with Alex Salmond

That should help the Alba vote
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    @Kasparov63
    Conspiracy may be in my Soviet-born blood, but the stories coming out about the US blocking and slow-rolling the weapons Ukraine needs to win require explanation. Is the Biden team hoping to postpone Ukrainian victory until the 2024 election year?

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1653428445915799553
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The Fed puts interest rates, I suspect the BoE will follow suit.

Didn't Rishi pledge to halve inflation? Another boats pledge?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Good.

I'm afraid that "lets have the subjects recite the oath of fealty in front of their televisions" did it for me. I'm with the Celtic supporters.
    Well I thought that bloody stupid too. I'd be pleased to hear a nationwide cry of "bugger off!" to mark the moment. But I don't want to see royalists rained on as a result.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    The Lib Dems often act as a think tank for future Labour (and occasionally Tory) policies, so look out for the 24 hour booking line appearing in Labour pledges soon:

https://twitter.com/libdems/status/1653821732501725193?s=46
  • Options

kle4 said:

Who?
    Little old lady, used to wear bright colours and attend horse races from time to time.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233

Selebian said:

GIN1138 said:

Friday - the focus will be on the local election results

Saturday - it's all about the Coronation!

Or to put it another way, the local election results will not be that exciting!

SPOILER ALERT - Charles will be confirmed as King, and his hag as Queen :)
    Do I take it The Sunil isn't a fan of the former Mrs Parker-Bowles? :D
    Let's just say Diana would have made a much more OK looking Queen :)
    You do know that she wouldn’t be 36 anymore?
    (apparently - if it's AI and the Mail say it then it must be right, right?)
    That's a cool mock up, but Di would have been a lot better preserved.
    She is! The magic of formaldehyde.

Hat and coat ...
  • Options
    TimS said:

The Lib Dems often act as a think tank for future Labour (and occasionally Tory) policies, so look out for the 24 hour booking line appearing in Labour pledges soon:

Will a legal right to see a GP in a week help if we don't have the capability to deliver it?
  • Options
    The view from Canada on the Coronation. CR should probably take his blood pressure pills before reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/03/king-charles-iii-coronation-canada-britain
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Will a legal right to see a GP in a week help if we don't have the capability to deliver it?
    It’s like a Rishi pledge. Focus groups well but no chance of it actually happening.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Actual SNP bigwig here:

Joanna Cherry: SNP is 'intellectually dead from the neck up'

https://twitter.com/heraldpols/status/1653820356074037248?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

The last 4 words seem redundant? Or the first one. Either way she sounds a bit dense. From the ... oh never mind.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Though when that comes down to it, that was just leaving a free trade area. We may have had a decade-long row about it, but it's a row over which side of the drive to leave the bins on conpared to the thousand year old spectacle of a coronation, which includes ancuent artefacts and a supernatural being and silly hats galore. Perhaps.
    He might still fuck it up, but I can see tge argument that this is significant. The last one was, at any rate.
    I've not suddenly cone over all monarchist, mind. I won't be watching. But dismissing the event and its supporters entirely seems on a par with hoping Muslims have a really shitty Eid.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

You'll shut up with that when you are legally pronounced dead just because there's no room in the queue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Well the new GP contract contains similar bollocks. It just ain't going to happen.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    Cookie said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

He's also well worth investigating for his musical output. One of the finest artists of our age. Start with Red Right Hand, Nature Boy, the Carny, the Mercy Seat, and Lie Down Here and Be My Girl (off the top of my head).
    Listen to his song as “Grinderman” called Palaces of Montezuma if you don’t know it already, probably my favourite of his works.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Leon said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Shouldn't it be *historic*, anyway?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited May 2023
    Some people were criticising Rallings and Thrasher / Sky News for saying that Labour needed a 10% lead in the local elections to be heading for a good general election result.

Now Sir John Curtice has said the same thing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anything-less-than-10-point-lead-in-local-elections-should-worry-labour-qmfzx7zbw

"Anything less than a 10 point lead in local elections should worry Labour"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Back is with The Blaze, and Megyn Kelly is with SiriusXM. They’re both still making fortunes. Bill O’R has now retired IIRC.
    Can you quantify "fortunes"? As for public impact, compared to their salad days, not so much . . .
    Glenn Beck is making more now working for himself, than he ever made working for anyone else. You’re right about the public impact mostly being with the more mainstream channels, but the likes of Glenn Beck and Ben Shapiro each have close to a million people paying their companies ten bucks a month.
    Source(s)? And are you arguing that Glenn Beck is MORE influential now that formerly?

Personally do NOT care a red cent about his (or others) bank balance, which seems to be your (and Ab's) focus.
    I’m saying he’s making massive bank, even if he doesn’t have the status in mainstream commentary that he once enjoyed.
    Unless you are managing Beck's investment portfolio, why should you - give a rat's bippy about that?

And how do you know he's rolling in the dough, as you keep saying?

He’s a major shareholder in Blaze Media, has gone from being the on-screen talent to being the executive behind the company.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_Media
  • Options
    boulay said:

Cookie said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Listen to his song as “Grinderman” called Palaces of Montezuma if you don’t know it already, probably my favourite of his works.
    I don't know his Grinderman incarnation that well. I shall look that out this evening.
    His first act, of course, was The Birthday Party. Which even I find pretty hard work. Though "Mr. Clarinet" is thoroughly enjoyable.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

The Fed puts interest rates, I suspect the BoE will follow suit.

Didn't Rishi pledge to halve inflation? Another boats pledge?

Nobody understands economics. All such pledges are nonsense. (Whereas it would be possible to make a guarantee on boats if you had the stomach for it)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The view from Canada on the Coronation. CR should probably take his blood pressure pills before reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/03/king-charles-iii-coronation-canada-britain

I don't get why we sent the Stone down to Westminster Abbey. Why does he need to sit on a thousand year old stone anyway? And if h does, get his arse up to Edinburgh to do it.
This discussion has been closed.