Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden is going for a second term – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited April 2023 in General
imageBiden is going for a second term – politicalbetting.com

The big news in US politics today is that aging Joe Biden is to seek a second term and the response on the WH2024 nomination betting is very clear – he’s being rated as an 82% chance. As to the race itself, he is being traded as a 40% chance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    edited April 2023
    Gloom.
    He really isn't up to it. He got away with very limited campaigning in 2020 because of Covid. The schedule he would have to undertake this time has a serious risk of killing him.
  • Options
    I also don't think that there is any chance of him changing the VP nominee. If he was going to do that the wheels for it would have been in motion well before today.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,511
    Look for a dark horse Dem candidate coming from nowhere. Biden is incredibly vulnerable
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    Well, I made a great call ages ago that Biden was too long for next pres as the sitting president. Great profit potential.

It's just a shame that I lost my nerve and traded out just about even :disappointed:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,163
    Leon said:

Look for a dark horse Dem candidate coming from nowhere. Biden is incredibly vulnerable

He is though the only Democrat to have beaten Trump
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,243
    FTP 'cos I have no original thoughts whatsoever

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1650877084099543044?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

@BritainElects
    Public opinion towards the [X] brand:

LAB: 37% positive / 35% negative
    GRN: 28% / 31%
    LDEM: 23% / 36%
    CON: 20% / 52%
    REF: 13% / 38%

via
    @IpsosUK

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/04/can-greens-sustain-gains-may-local-elections
  • Options
    No chance of a change to VP candidate.

Biden has already confirmed Harris stays, and he's not going to drop the first female VP and first black VP even if her approval ratings are poor (which they are - although not that much worse than his own).

I also doubt she's much of a drag on the ticket. As mentioned, her approval ratings aren't good, and she's not by any means a shoo-in to succeed him in 2028 if re-elected. That's rather different to her raising "heartbeat away from the Presidency" issues, though. She's no Quayle and no Palin. Few are enthused by the idea of her becoming President if Biden dies or is incapacitated (which is a non-trivial possibility given his age). But that isn't the same as fearing it - not by a long way.
  • Options
    He’ll be fine, especially if his opponent is Trump.

Oh and if the GOP count the votes fairly and don’t try and pull of an attempted coup/insurrection.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,630
    edited April 2023
    DougSeal said:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1650877084099543044?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/04/can-greens-sustain-gains-may-local-elections

Only 2% positive view! Blair was miles ahead at this stage 1996, and still underperformed the polling. SKS fanatics please explain!
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

Only 2% positive view! Blair was miles ahead at this stage 1996, and still underperformed the polling. SKS fanatics please explain!
    It's still a view I suppose...
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Who knew Luxembourg had a space agency?

This is getting a little tedious. I only joined the SpaceX one just before launch so missed all the inane chatter on that one.

ETA: Leon, is that one of yours behind the Ariane guy?

ETA2: Ah, might be getting somewhere now.

ETA3: No, still talking heads
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    edited April 2023
    Biden has been continually underrated and continues to be so. Bearing in mind that the likely GOP nominee will be Trump, only three years younger, and I don't see age becoming a factor, unless one of the two of them hits a health problem in the next 18 and a bit months.

I don't think Kamala is going anywhere. She balances the ticket for the Democrat base in useful ways for Biden, and the people on the Democrat side who'd speculate about forcing an aged President to retire midway through their second term will be dissuaded from doing so by her presence as VP.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    edited April 2023
    DavidL said:

Gloom.
    He really isn't up to it. He got away with very limited campaigning in 2020 because of Covid. The schedule he would have to undertake this time has a serious risk of killing him.

Some old folks can surprise. My father was persuaded by his doctor to change his twice weekly jogs at the Oxford University track to long walks - in his mid 80s….
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

And if you don’t like that one, i have plenty of others. 😆
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Biden has already confirmed Harris stays, and he's not going to drop the first female VP and first black VP even if her approval ratings are poor (which they are - although not that much worse than his own).

I also doubt she's much of a drag on the ticket. As mentioned, her approval ratings aren't good, and she's not by any means a shoo-in to succeed him in 2028 if re-elected. That's rather different to her raising "heartbeat away from the Presidency" issues, though. She's no Quayle and no Palin. Few are enthused by the idea of her becoming President if Biden dies or is incapacitated (which is a non-trivial possibility given his age). But that isn't the same as fearing it - not by a long way.

I agree - with the caveat that if there was a Supreme Court opening and a chance to get her into it, she might well want to go for that.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134

DougSeal said:

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

Eh? They are the only party with a net positive, and indeed also have the highest gross positive rating.

I think they'll be fairly happy with that at this stage.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

Tut tut Doug!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    edited April 2023

I agree - with the caveat that if there was a Supreme Court opening and a chance to get her into it, she might well want to go for that.
    Perhaps we should rather ponder whether Buttigieg, Ossoff or indeed Whitmer might be promoted to Secretary of State? Blinken will be 63 and it would be a way of bringing on a younger possible replacement.

Edit - Janet Yellen is of course nearly as old as Biden. There is probably a promotion opportunity there too although it's less high profile.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136

Biden has been continually underrated and continues to be so. Bearing in mind that the likely GOP nominee will be Trump, only three years younger, and I don't see age becoming a factor, unless one of the two of them hits a health problem in the next 18 and a bit months.

I don't think Kamala is going anywhere. She balances the ticket for the Democrat made in useful ways for Biden, and the people on the Democrat side who'd speculate about forcing an aged President to retire midway through their second term will be dissuaded from doing so by her presence as VP.

Biden is arguably the most underrated leader of modern times.
    It's interesting how on China and America first economic policies, he's putting Trumpism into practice.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

except there is zero chance of her getting to the SC as the Republican party isn't going to allow her to be appointed.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

I don't think Kamala is going anywhere. She balances the ticket for the Democrat made in useful ways for Biden, and the people on the Democrat side who'd speculate about forcing an aged President to retire midway through their second term will be dissuaded from doing so by her presence as VP.

Given the tendency for many recent leaders to have been overrated, I'm struggling to think who the competition might be for that accolade.
  • Options

It's interesting how on China and America first economic policies, he's putting Trumpism into practice.
    Why would he enact a China first economic policy?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

He’ll be fine, especially if his opponent is Trump.

Oh and if the GOP count the votes fairly and don’t try and pull of an attempted coup/insurrection.

Yes, if he had a gruelling set of primaries it might be a problem. A Rose Garden campaign shouldn't be.
  • Options

Very much so. He has generally done reasonably well without being spectacular. It is so difficult for anyone to govern in America now. The country is so bitterly and evenly divided that real progress is almost impossible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136
    ydoethur said:

Ask Bill Clinton.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Only to old age.
    Otherwise, forget it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Selebian said:

This is getting a little tedious. I only joined the SpaceX one just before launch so missed all the inane chatter on that one.

At least, if you want to do a long buildup and have all your partners give speeches, put a T-minus clock in the corner, and a scrolling timeline of events along the bottom. SpaceX are really good at doing this.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ask Bill Clinton.
    I thought he went Cuban first?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

@BritainElects

via
    @IpsosUK

Tut tut Doug!!
    Yeah. Tut tut Doug. 😁
  • Options
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

Gloom.

Some old folks can surprise. My father was persuaded by his doctor to change his twice weekly jogs at the Oxford University track to long walks - in his mid 80s….
    Yeah, but there is a difference between going for walks and managing a serious international crisis that might go on for days or weeks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I also don't think that there is any chance of him changing the VP nominee. If he was going to do that the wheels for it would have been in motion well before today.

If Thomas amazed us all and actually resigned...
    But that's not happening, either.
  • Options
    eek said:

except there is zero chance of her getting to the SC as the Republican party isn't going to allow her to be appointed.
    Which is only a problem because Dianne Feinstein and John Fetterman are inexplicably still both officially Senators.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

He should be impeached. Resignation is too good for him.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,543

Aggressive wealth accumulation (demanding every nation stupid enough to accede to their demands puts up their Corporation Tax being one example) coupled with pulling in of the foreign policy horns - it's a very Trumpian agenda.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Selebian said:

Luxembourg's space agency is very ambitious, esp. in asteroid mining.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,163
    eek said:

There is as the Democrats still control the Senate
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    An 80 year old white male in the US is expected to last another 7 years before they die. But a presidental nominee doesn't just to survive to run, they also need to have retained their physical and mental faculties, or at least appear to have done so in their public appearances.

We are about 1.5 years from the date of the presidential election.

So taking account of the potential for his health to deteriorate, what might be the chances of Biden lasting long enough in a reasonably coherent state, enough to remain on the ticket as the Democratic nominee until polling day? Smarkets implies that it is above 82%, given that the outside chance of someone yet running against him has to be allowed for in addition to potential for his health to deteriorate. At face value that seems to me to be too high.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,570
    Meanwhile, in "NHS strikes haven't gone away" news, this time it's radiographers.

🚨NEW: @SCoRMembers have voted against the NHS pay deal with 80% rejecting on a turnout of two thirds. Members will now be balloted for industrial action:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1650879731783417856?t=5hvxxcIIte68x7_qKaGkxQ&s=19
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    What is the actual chance of incapacity or health issue requiring withdrawal in the next
    18 months : 15-20%?

And that depends as well on the threshold for withdrawal. Even a weaker still Biden with his team around him might decide to continue as the figurehead and if it's all working, then why invoke any amendment?

For long shot Dems, I guess, the timing is critical. Biden's presence deters the candidacies of serious insiders, so get into the primary season before a health issue kicks in, and there is no field to take up the mantle. So, you get to the convention and decide what to do then. Then, if Biden is still nominee on paper and able to VP pick, then it is still up to him to do that. And even if it is blatantly obvious Biden won't be continuing, a different VP pick is the lower likelihood outcome - President Harris becomes the default option and you need to answer how something else will come to pass in a classic Herdsonian rules of the game analysis
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Only to old age.
    Otherwise, forget it.
    Why say "only"?

Could be a third party candidate too. Could even be Trump. Country fail.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gloom.

Yeah, but there is a difference between going for walks and managing a serious international crisis that might go on for days or weeks.
    Like, say, an invasion of Taiwan?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,021
    #prayforbiden

He's their only hope. That's an issue in itself, but probably true.
  • Options
    Labour leads by 2% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Blue Wall Voting Intention (23 April):

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 24% (+4)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1650892423219019781?s=46
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Meanwhile, in "NHS strikes haven't gone away" news, this time it's radiographers.

🚨NEW: @SCoRMembers have voted against the NHS pay deal with 80% rejecting on a turnout of two thirds. Members will now be balloted for industrial action:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1650879731783417856?t=5hvxxcIIte68x7_qKaGkxQ&s=19

When radiographers strike, do they provide skeleton cover?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Jean Claude Juncker was frequently spaced out, is it connected to that?
  • Options

An 80 year old white male in the US is expected to last another 7 years before they die. But a presidental nominee doesn't just to survive to run, they also need to have retained their physical and mental faculties, or at least appear to have done so in their public appearances.

So taking account of the potential for his health to deteriorate, what might be the chances of Biden lasting long enough in a reasonably coherent state, enough to remain on the ticket as the Democratic nominee until polling day? Smarkets implies that it is above 82%, given that the outside chance of someone yet running against him has to be allowed for in addition to potential for his health to deteriorate. At face value that seems to me to be too high.

Very good point. What is the age at which obvious and undeniable cognitive decline sets in? On average? in the USA?

On the upside Biden will have the best healthcare possible, on the downside he already looks a tad senile to some of us (others disagree)

In my personal experience people on average go blatantly gaga from about 82-83 onwards. There are obviously many exceptions some can keep their marbles into the late 90s, like our dear late Queen, others start badly forgetting shit in their early 70s

Biden could be going for re-election just as he becomes incontrovertibly senile
  • Options

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

SKS fans please...oh forget it....
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gloom.

I don't think he's planning that, although with these elderly presidents you can never be sure.
  • Options

They saw right through it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,365
    edited April 2023
    DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

And Sunak leads Starmer by 6% apparently

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1650894993442177025?t=MDUWdictIBgygf4JPE9Cyw&s=19
  • Options

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

The rise of the LibDems is the watchout. A significant number of Tory seats are vulnerable if people start tactically voting LD...
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

What is the actual chance of incapacity or health issue requiring withdrawal in the next
    18 months : 15-20%?

And that depends as well on the threshold for withdrawal. Even a weaker still Biden with his team around him might decide to continue as the figurehead and if it's all working, then why invoke any amendment?

For long shot Dems, I guess, the timing is critical. Biden's presence deters the candidacies of serious insiders, so get into the primary season before a health issue kicks in, and there is no field to take up the mantle. So, you get to the convention and decide what to do then. Then, if Biden is still nominee on paper and able to VP pick, then it is still up to him to do that. And even if it is blatantly obvious Biden won't be continuing, a different VP pick is the lower likelihood outcome - President Harris becomes the default option and you need to answer how something else will come to pass in a classic Herdsonian rules of the game analysis

The real danger to Biden, thinking about it, would be from a primary candidate running hard and dirty on the health of the incumbent.

The health of the President is seen as fair game in the US, alongside some extraordinarily vicious attack ads even in party primary contests.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

If this is correct and this is about seats where the LDs came second in 2019 (?), and the data remains firm then, in betting terms, this is important about the fate of the LDs - which all of a sudden looks sub optimal. Have I missed something?
  • Options
    I’m right. 82-83

“The estimated average age of onset of dementia in the United States is 83.7 years old (Plassman et al. 2011)”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624986/

Biden already looks doddery and says demented stuff. This ain’t good
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It was a bare bones offer.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1650894993442177025?t=MDUWdictIBgygf4JPE9Cyw&s=19
    Which is pretty shit for Sunak considering the profile of these seats.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Well yes.
    But a successful impeachment is less likely still.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

ydoethur said:

It would reduce them to a skeleton service.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Very good point. What is the age at which obvious and undeniable cognitive decline sets in? On average? in the USA?

On the upside Biden will have the best healthcare possible, on the downside he already looks a tad senile to some of us (others disagree)

In my personal experience people on average go blatantly gaga from about 82-83 onwards. There are obviously many exceptions some can keep their marbles into the late 90s, like our dear late Queen, others start badly forgetting shit in their early 70s

To be fair my dear wife who will be 84 this year is nowhere near gaga but she ( and I) have noticeable slowed and indeed I am presently fitting four handrails on our staircase and both back and patio doors as we become more unsteady but being aware of it helps

It really does say something about the US when the next election is likely Biden v Trump and not in a good way
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Gloom.

I don't think he's planning that, although with these elderly presidents you can never be sure.
    There are rumours that Xi Jinping is planning an invasion of Taiwan for 2026-27

A lame duck and clearly senile Democrat US president age 85 would provide the perfect conditions

Whether Trump would be any better (or worse) for Xi is moot, of course
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m right. 82-83

“The estimated average age of onset of dementia in the United States is 83.7 years old (Plassman et al. 2011)”

Except that's 83-84.
    And you long ago told us he's already senile.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

I would not have expected you to say anything less
  • Options

Leon said:

To be fair my dear wife who will be 84 this year is nowhere near gaga but she ( and I) have noticeable slowed and indeed I am presently fitting four handrails on our staircase and both back and patio doors as we become more unsteady but being aware of it helps

It really does say something about the US when the next election is likely Biden v Trump and not in a good way
    For the third election in a row it looks like US voters will be given a fairly terrible choice

Hillary v Trump

Trump v Biden

Trump v Biden AGAIN
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Trump widens lead over DeSantis to 37 points in new poll
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3970519-trump-widens-lead-over-desantis-to-37-points-in-new-poll/

Ron DeSunktis.

Trump should use that.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m right. 82-83

Except that's 83-84.
    Someone who is 83.7 is generally said to be “83”, are they not? Or do you loudly shout at your weeping mother, STOP PRETENDING, YOU DODDERY OLD CRONE, YOU’RE ACTUALLY 83 POINT SEVEN!!
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

The important figure in these seats is the Conservative share. Down 18% on the 50% they got at the GE. That's because half of those seats are LD targets, half are Lab targets. In very few of those seats are both Lab and the LDs in serious contention, and so the tactical voting choices should be obvious. So you can expect the Lab and LD votes to be highly concentrated in their target seats, such that one or the other is generally well ahead of the 32% average Con vote which has to be more evenly spread.
  • Options

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Liberal uptick suggests tactical voting?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

But he's not wrong, is he?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m right. 82-83

Except that's 83-84.
    Someone who is 83.7 is generally said to be “83”, are they not? Or do you loudly shout at your weeping mother, STOP PRETENDING, YOU DODDERY OLD CRONE, YOU’RE ACTUALLY 83 POINT SEVEN!!
    "I'm right. 82-83".

If he does go gags in office, that's what VPs are for.

Beats Kari Lake...
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

At least, if you want to do a long buildup and have all your partners give speeches, put a T-minus clock in the corner, and a scrolling timeline of events along the bottom. SpaceX are really good at doing this.
    An hour and a half after the progamme’s scheduled start, they’re talking about business plans. Any ideas what time the craft is supposed to land on the moon?
  • Options
    Scott Moon. Well, if he isn't the right man for this mission, then I don't know who is. Nominative determination in action? :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It would reduce them to a skeleton service.
    Union barons will be looking femur
  • Options

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

There's a reason for all those barcharts.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Aren’t these by definition Tory areas?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

An hour and a half after the progamme’s scheduled start, they’re talking about business plans. Any ideas what time the craft is supposed to land on the moon?
    Says touchdown in just under 9 minutes on the display

ETA: But weren't they expecting to have heard directly from the craft by now? This is all just the simulation graphics/data, I think?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

"Sunak leads Starmer by 6% in the Blue Wall". I would have thought that is extremely news for Sunak. He should be destroying Starmer in places where Labour have historically come third FFS.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,365
    edited April 2023

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

But he's not wrong, is he?
    The point is there is a trend on Sunak improving his personal ratings but he does have a some way to go

Even the most loyal labour supporter can hardly say Starmer is doing well in view of the collapse of confidence in the conservatives
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673
    edited April 2023
    algarkirk said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

If this is correct and this is about seats where the LDs came second in 2019 (?), and the data remains firm then, in betting terms, this is important about the fate of the LDs - which all of a sudden looks sub optimal. Have I missed something?
    Probably as this will probably cover some seats where Labour is in second place and also this is before targeting material is put out in the LD targets, although the 4% uptick suggests local election stuff is having an impact. Way back in time I was involved in two target seats where we had come within a few thousand of the Tories in previous elections. In the prime target we commissioned a private opinion poll. It put us 3rd behind Labour. After an intensive campaign we took the 2nd target, but missed the prime, but only by less than one thousand votes. As stated an opinion poll prior to the campaign put us in 3rd.

There is a big difference between opinion polls which measure the general status of support for a party and then what happens in a targeted area after campaigning and where the electorate is reminded of who the challenger has always been. Although during non campaigning times Labour were 2nd here they were never going to be able to challenge the Tories in this type of seat (wealthy S.E. constituency) whereas the LDs could.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

ETA: But weren't they expecting to have heard directly from the craft by now? This is all just the simulation graphics/data, I think?
    Ha, just as I start moaning, it all kicks off!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

"Sunak leads Starmer by 6% in the Blue Wall". I would have thought that is extremely bad news for Sunak. He should be destroying Starmer in places where Labour have historically come third FFS.
    Yes, that’s how I read it too
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

That eclipse pic is cool though
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

That was very cool, pic of a solar eclipse from lunar orbit, showing the shadow of the moon on the surface of the Earth.

Five minutes to go!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

Leon said:

Four handrails on the staircase isn’t leaving anything to chance, for sure!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,582

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Liberal uptick also suggests local election leafletting, canvassing etc.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

That was very cool, pic of a solar eclipse from lunar orbit, showing the shadow of the moon on the surface of the Earth.

Five minutes to go!
    Sounds like the data are live (speed, altitude etc). I was hoping for some slightly delayed images or even video, but I guess the bandwidth is not sufficient, will hopefully get some of that later.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Leon said:

Leon said:

For the third election in a row it looks like US voters will be given a fairly terrible choice

Hillary v Trump

Trump v Biden

Trump v Biden AGAIN
    It's still a no-brainer. Biden's proved an able president and is only a bad choice on the age front (which I agree is a big negative).
  • Options

Leon said:

Good luck to you both. No-one should be allowed to stand for POTUS over 80, to my mind. Unless there are serious advances in gerontology, the treatment of Alzheimer’s, etc (which might well happen soon, God willing)

I would do the same for SCOTUS and SCOTUK

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Four handrails on the staircase isn’t leaving anything to chance, for sure!
    The staircase has a half landing and the other two are the back door and patio door

I just finished fitting the staircase today, and it has made a significant difference for both of us
  • Options

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

The rise of the LibDems is the watchout. A significant number of Tory seats are vulnerable if people start tactically voting LD...
    The vote in the GE in these seats was Con 50% (so currently down 18%), Lab 21% (currently up 13%), LD 27% (currently down 3%). Net Con to Lab swing 15%, Con to LD swing 7%). Even without tactical voting, that's enough to deliver most of those seats to either Lab or the LDs. But in these seats in particular there is a lot of potential for a lot more tactical voting than in 2019, and that's the real nightmare for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

The interesting difference is that Trump talked tough, but then got rid of all the Chinese sanctions.

While Biden speaks very little, and has been pretty resolute in stopping tech transfer.

(I'm not a fan of banning TikTok, mind. Just on basic freedom grounds.)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

I’m not wrong am I though!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Good luck to you both. No-one should be allowed to stand for POTUS over 80, to my mind. Unless there are serious advances in gerontology, the treatment of Alzheimer’s, etc (which might well happen soon, God willing)

Thank you, and I cannot imagine how anyone thinks Biden at 80 plus starting a new term in office is a good thing for the US and ROW but Trump is even worse
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    eek said:

Given the Democrats have 50 Senators, and the Republicans 49, how would they stop her?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,657
    Answer to the "big question" is hell yes.

IF Richard Nixon couldn't deep-six Spiro Agnew, and George Bush the Elder was stuck with Dan Quayle, then am certain (in my own cotton-pickin' mind) that Joe Biden will retain Kamala Harris.

For one thing, she has NOT been near the baggage for her POTUS, that Spiro and Danny Boy were for their running mates.

For another, the heavy lifting required to chuck America's first Black, Asian AND woman Veep over the side, strikes me as WAY more problematic than removing either Agnew or Quayle would have been, back in their days.
  • Options
    How much tension in that control room, as they wait for the signal to get back from the moon?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Aren’t these by definition Tory areas?
    Yup.

This is like Starmer only leading Sunak by 6% in Liverpool.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Given the Democrats have 50 Senators, and the Republicans 49, how would they stop her?
    Because the Democrats have 48 Senators, Dianne Feinstein, and John Fetterman.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

I’m not wrong am I though!
    The point I would make is there seems to be a trend in Sunak approval as shown in this poll

I expect the conservatives to have a very bad local elections result, but it is beyond that to October 24 that Sunak needs to continue his progress
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Thank you, and I cannot imagine how anyone thinks Biden at 80 plus starting a new term in office is a good thing for the US and ROW but Trump is even worse
    Yes of course. Trump is even worse. Biden is being a selfish old fool. He’s done better than expected in office despite some major errors (Afghanistan) but he should now accept his age and anoint a better successor in the party (not Kamala)

That would be truly gracious and would cement his legacy. Instead like some old autocrat he’s determined to plough on. Terrible shame for America