Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kate Forbes must be glad to have lost the SNP leadership contest – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    If the First Minister thing doesn't work out, he'd do well as a one man show at the Fringe.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1648307448095158272?s=20
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    Ghedebrav said:

I just passed Stanley Johnson or his doppelganger walking up St James's from Pall Mall. He had a face like a smacked arse.

As opposed to an arse who smacked someone's face?
    Or an arse you were tempted to smack.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    If you are into AI, today's Zits comic may amuse you: https://comicskingdom.com/zits
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 45% (+1)
    CON: 27% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+1)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (-2)

via @YouGov, 12-13 Apr

(Changes with 6 Apr)

That's better. I'm far happier to see mid to high teens. It's our turn ffs. It's time to pack up if we can't get a Labour government when there's no rational reason for the floating non-ideological voter to not fancy a change after 14 years of the Tories.
    "It's our turn ffs" has a certain ring to it, though I am not sure many floating voters will rally to it.
    It is the essence of the situation but as a slogan that's just between me and PB.

For the GE we will be going with something in the more traditional 'aspirational' lexicon of "up up and away in our beautiful balloon".
    Of course, the last person who's real (not very secret mantra was "it's my turn ffs" was that nice Gordon Brown

That turned out well....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,802
    rcs1000 said:

One for @AndyJS on chatgpt not always being entirely reliable,:

May I suggest mandatory maths education for young AIs?
  • Options
    If you want to vote by post in the May locals the deadline is in 55 minutes:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/apply-vote-post
  • Options
    I am guessing that Rupe proved too stingy an old bastard to offer enough to settle.

Fox News v Dominion: defamation lawsuit over election lies goes to trial
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2023/apr/18/fox-news-dominion-defamation-trial-live-updates-us-politics

Though note it could still be settled during the trial.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Nits have a conspiracy theory of sorts

"So
    Colin Beattie SNP Treasurer arrested.
    Something does not ring true about these arrests, timings, media tipped off and all run the story at the identical time."

https://twitter.com/ArchbishopStua1/status/1648248106687909889?s=20

The conspiracy is that when the big news happens, all the news media tend to report that big news as it happens. See what they did there? Normally the Daily Mail would wait two weeks, the BBC might report it next year, ITV would do it to coincide with nice weather, and so on, but this time - because it was the SNP Treasurer being arrested - the unionist news media, probably guided by MI5 and Mossad, deliberately reported the arrest on the same day he was arrested

Straight out of the Trump playbook. Typical lying c*nt populist nats. They don't care about the damage they do to democracy because, like Trump, they don't believe in it when it doesn't deliver the message they want
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Scott_xP said:

@AndrewSparrow
    Humza Yousaf rules out suspending SNP treasurer arrested by police, and says he does not think party now acting criminally -

I hope he's consistent and has not called for opponents to be suspended when arrested.

I think most parties wait for a charge?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He's just taking the piss now...

@euanmccolm
    Yousaf attacks the UK government for “economic mismanagement”.

Its poor timing. But wrong?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,301
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'd like to request that PB Brexiters refrain from saying that Scottish Independence (or indeed anything) needs a 'rigorous intellectual case'.

It's making me barf.

Thing is this - if you've watched Brexit, seen how its gone and the impacts its having, I find it hard to believe anyone can look at Scottish Independence and think, yes, this will work a lot better than Brexit did.

You can make lots of cases for why Scotland should be independent, but do so only with the sure and certain example of Brexit to guide likely outcomes.

I also think anyone who advocated Brexit ought to understand the motivation of those who seek Scottish Independence. Its why I found the SNP's complaints about Brexit so frustrating.
    They are both about National Sovereignty but the Sindy case (on that score) is stronger because it seeks to create it where it doesn't at present exist - as opposed to Brexit which took an already sovereign nation out of the EU where some of that sovereignty had erstwhile been voluntarily pooled.
    Voluntarily by the politicians, very much not voluntarily by the people. Maastricht and Lisbon should have been put to the electorate by way of a referendum, as was the case in many other countries.
    Ok but that's a tangent. The essential difference remains. The UK was sovereign in the EU. Scotland is not sovereign in the UK.

To illustrate -

The Cons won a UK GE on a platform of holding a vote on leaving the EU. We had the vote. We voted to leave. We left. Sovereignty. Democracy.

The SNP won a Scottish GE on a platform to hold a vote on leaving the UK. They were forbidden to do so by the UK. No sovereignty. No democracy.

There are definite similarities between Sindy and Brexit but this difference dwarfs them all. They are at heart very different things.
    Hm, a bit.
    But how much longer would that distinction have remained? Had it been 52-48 Remain, and we had Remained, you can be sure the difficult and convoluted route out of the EU would have been closed off. Membership would have been made permanent. In practice, it was our last chance to leave.

I'd also note that Scotland is by your definition slightly more sovereign than you make out, and has been since devolution: the SNP won an election in which it ran on the manifesto of holding a referendum, and held it. The only reason a second referendum was denied was that 7 years is not a generation.

It's a greyish area. Glas, perhaps.
    Hard to say what would have happened with 52/48 the other way. A continuation of the good fight, I'd have thought. Unlikely a narrow loss would have settled the matter for good. Even more unlikely that the UK would have been stripped of its right to leave.

Scotland has devolved powers but is not a sovereign nation. There's not an awful lot of grey on that specific point.
    Scotland joined the UK because it's leadership was almost / actually bankrupt due to dodgy decisions and needed a bail out.

It's ironic that the SNP are heading in the same direction and potentially taking any chance Scotland has of independence with it.
    Not quite 'rain on your wedding day' but for me that's a pretty stretchy use of 'ironic'. Still, yes, although the SNP and Sindy aren't the same thing all this can't be helping the cause.
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Dreadful for democracy if the SNP is really knocked back and nothing swoops in to replace it. Pretty obviously a large chunk of Scots (a few percent either side of 50%) want independence. If they don’t end up feeling represented then there’s going to be other issues.

It's not dreadful at all. It's democracy. Parties rise and fall constantly, and sometimes disappear entirely, that IS democracy

The cause of independence is not dependant on the SNP, there are already two other serious parties that espouse it, one of them is actually governing in coalition with the Nats - the Greens

Quebecois indy was and is not entirely dependant on the success of the PQ, see the recent history of Quebec

As @SouthamObserver says we might see a split in the SNP between fundies and civics - and woke and non woke - and that might in the end be good for Scottish Nationalism as a cause
    Yes, no need to feel an obligation to back an unpalatable but Indy backing option, there could be another.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'd like to request that PB Brexiters refrain from saying that Scottish Independence (or indeed anything) needs a 'rigorous intellectual case'.

It's making me barf.

Thing is this - if you've watched Brexit, seen how its gone and the impacts its having, I find it hard to believe anyone can look at Scottish Independence and think, yes, this will work a lot better than Brexit did.

You can make lots of cases for why Scotland should be independent, but do so only with the sure and certain example of Brexit to guide likely outcomes.

I also think anyone who advocated Brexit ought to understand the motivation of those who seek Scottish Independence. Its why I found the SNP's complaints about Brexit so frustrating.
    They are both about National Sovereignty but the Sindy case (on that score) is stronger because it seeks to create it where it doesn't at present exist - as opposed to Brexit which took an already sovereign nation out of the EU where some of that sovereignty had erstwhile been voluntarily pooled.
    Voluntarily by the politicians, very much not voluntarily by the people. Maastricht and Lisbon should have been put to the electorate by way of a referendum, as was the case in many other countries.
    Ok but that's a tangent. The essential difference remains. The UK was sovereign in the EU. Scotland is not sovereign in the UK.

To illustrate -

The Cons won a UK GE on a platform of holding a vote on leaving the EU. We had the vote. We voted to leave. We left. Sovereignty. Democracy.

The SNP won a Scottish GE on a platform to hold a vote on leaving the UK. They were forbidden to do so by the UK. No sovereignty. No democracy.

There are definite similarities between Sindy and Brexit but this difference dwarfs them all. They are at heart very different things.
    The UK gov holding a referendum on EU membership, was within their powers.

The Scottish gov holding a referendum on Scottish independence, was very explicitly, defined in legislation, outside their powers.
    It's within their powers only if given approval by Westminster. Which is a facet of the key difference I was referring to. The UK has national sovereignty but Scotland doesn't. Sindy seeks to change this. That's the long and short of it.
    Scotland does not have national sovereignty because it voted not to have it in a "once in a generation" referendum. It chose to have it's sovereignty to be part of the UK. It therefore has no more sovereignty than Yorkshire or East Anglia.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Hm, a bit.
    But how much longer would that distinction have remained? Had it been 52-48 Remain, and we had Remained, you can be sure the difficult and convoluted route out of the EU would have been closed off. Membership would have been made permanent. In practice, it was our last chance to leave.

I'd also note that Scotland is by your definition slightly more sovereign than you make out, and has been since devolution: the SNP won an election in which it ran on the manifesto of holding a referendum, and held it. The only reason a second referendum was denied was that 7 years is not a generation.

Hard to say what would have happened with 52/48 the other way. A continuation of the good fight, I'd have thought. Unlikely a narrow loss would have settled the matter for good. Even more unlikely that the UK would have been stripped of its right to leave.

Scotland has devolved powers but is not a sovereign nation. There's not an awful lot of grey on that specific point.
    Scotland joined the UK because it's leadership was almost / actually bankrupt due to dodgy decisions and needed a bail out.

It's ironic that the SNP are heading in the same direction and potentially taking any chance Scotland has of independence with it.
    Not quite 'rain on your wedding day' but for me that's a pretty stretchy use of 'ironic'. Still, yes, although the SNP and Sindy aren't the same thing all this can't be helping the cause.
    More like a 'free ride when... (someone else has) already paid' in this case. Or quite possible 'good advice... (from your auditors) that you just didn't take'.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166
    Any dodgy careerist SNP MPs who might consider 'doing a Christian Wakeford' if things get even worse for them? Proclaiming they've had a Damascene conversion and ask to take the Labour whip?
    Would Starmer even accept any defection offers at this point (bearing in mind SLAB are currently selecting their candidates for the next GE)?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Scottish Independence was a lot more achievable before we Brexited. Now a lot tougher to achieve sensibly. And with the comparison with Northern Ireland it is going to be fun watching Remainer who are Pro Indy and Leavers who are Anti Indy flip their arguments on their head when they argue their cause because they will both be arguing the exact opposite of what they argued before.
    As a Leaver, of Scottish heritage, who’s anti-Indy, it’s easy.

I’m British.
    Smartypants. You knew what I meant as I can see from your like :wink:
    So for me for instance as someone who was a remainer, my view is that firstly it is up to the Scots what they do and not me and if we hadn't left the EU, independence would have been viable within the EU if that is what they wanted, but now we have left it is far to difficult and damaging so I move from 'maybe' to 'no'. Still upto them, but I suggest they don't do it.

On the other hand if I were a leaver I would find it hypocritical to put up an argument of it being too difficult and damaging.
    I don't think it's necessarily hypocritical. You can believe that the economics of Brexit are positive for Britain but that the economics of Sindy are negative for Scotland. Or you can believe that the economics of Brexit are negative for Britain, but worth it for other reasons, but that the economics of Sindy are negative for Scotland are negative and not worth it - either because the negatives are greater (which seems likely) or because the other reasons less relevant (which seems a more niche position). Neither of these positions are hypocritical.

(Or you can take the position which seems most common among English unionists that Sindy is bad because I like going to Edinburgh. This strikes me as not hypocritical but incoherent.)
    I've got to tell you that had my head spinning, but I think I agree with you.
    Cookie is right that it's not necessarily hypocritical.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,229

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

The Scottish gov holding a referendum on Scottish independence, was very explicitly, defined in legislation, outside their powers.
    It's within their powers only if given approval by Westminster. Which is a facet of the key difference I was referring to. The UK has national sovereignty but Scotland doesn't. Sindy seeks to change this. That's the long and short of it.
    Scotland does not have national sovereignty because it voted not to have it in a "once in a generation" referendum. It chose to have it's sovereignty to be part of the UK. It therefore has no more sovereignty than Yorkshire or East Anglia.
    Yorkshire & East Anglia have their own legal systems, education systems, health services, tax rasing powers and control over agfish? Well I never, every day's a school day.

You'll be telling me next that HMG is stepping in to quash their equality legislation.
  • Options
    I’m well out of line with my demographic:

Would you consider the coronavirus pandemic in Britain to be over or still ongoing?

All Britons
    Over: 34%
    Still ongoing: 56%

18-24 year olds
    Over: 51%
    Still ongoing: 35%

65+ year olds
    Over: 17%
    Still ongoing: 78%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2023/04/18/25178/2
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,497
    I can't help having a little sympathy with the SNP and their tawdry little campervans, when there are clearly greater losses to the taxpayer over missold PPE.

Sunak himself has a blind trust that is heavily invested in Moderna, which he'd have been well aware of when making political decisions that have been of significant benefit to Moderna, and therefore his own investments.

I will go back to chuckling over their misfortunes very shortly.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,667
    edited April 2023

Would you consider the coronavirus pandemic in Britain to be over or still ongoing?

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

Me too. I'm 68 and it is history now for me.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Scottish Independence was a lot more achievable before we Brexited. Now a lot tougher to achieve sensibly. And with the comparison with Northern Ireland it is going to be fun watching Remainer who are Pro Indy and Leavers who are Anti Indy flip their arguments on their head when they argue their cause because they will both be arguing the exact opposite of what they argued before.

I’m British.
    So for me for instance as someone who was a remainer, my view is that firstly it is up to the Scots what they do and not me and if we hadn't left the EU, independence would have been viable within the EU if that is what they wanted, but now we have left it is far to difficult and damaging so I move from 'maybe' to 'no'. Still upto them, but I suggest they don't do it.

On the other hand if I were a leaver I would find it hypocritical to put up an argument of it being too difficult and damaging.
    I don't think it's necessarily hypocritical. You can believe that the economics of Brexit are positive for Britain but that the economics of Sindy are negative for Scotland. Or you can believe that the economics of Brexit are negative for Britain, but worth it for other reasons, but that the economics of Sindy are negative for Scotland are negative and not worth it - either because the negatives are greater (which seems likely) or because the other reasons less relevant (which seems a more niche position). Neither of these positions are hypocritical.

(Or you can take the position which seems most common among English unionists that Sindy is bad because I like going to Edinburgh. This strikes me as not hypocritical but incoherent.)
    Good use of italics.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,490
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.

Yes, it's also perfectly possible to be hypocritical!

It's also perfectly possible to say 'I support Brexit because I want it. And I oppose Sindy because I don't want it.' I'd suggest that's not hypocritical, though also not particularly sophisticated. (Though I'd suggest anyone on any side suggesting that this sort of analysis doesn't feature in their thinking is lying to themselves :-) )
  • Options

I can't help having a little sympathy with the SNP and their tawdry little campervans, when there are clearly greater losses to the taxpayer over missold PPE.

Sunak himself has a blind trust that is heavily invested in Moderna, which he'd have been well aware of when making political decisions that have been of significant benefit to Moderna, and therefore his own investments.

I will go back to chuckling over their misfortunes very shortly.

I saw The Tawdry Little Campervans on the John Peel Stage a couple of years ago, I think.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Support for independence among a large minority will still be there, and could become a majority again in some form if the Tories win the next election, so they'll always be a constituency for it, I think.

What happened to Salmond's Alba party ?

It is growing
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Yorkshire & East Anglia have their own legal systems, education systems, health services, tax rasing powers and control over agfish? Well I never, every day's a school day.

You'll be telling me next that HMG is stepping in to quash their equality legislation.
    It is great that your big district council has all these devolved powers. Congrats. Scotland does not have sovereignty. Get over it. Now that the Scotch Nasty Party has imploded it looks very unlikely it ever will.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,513
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

He's just taking the piss now...

@euanmccolm
    Yousaf attacks the UK government for “economic mismanagement”.

Its poor timing. But wrong?
    I'm just waiting for the giant hedgehog to appear at Holyrood, shouting DINSDALE!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    I am Scottish ( never British ) and don't give a shit about leavers or Remainers and want independence
  • Options

Humza Yousaf is very, very Ed Miliband 2014

No, he’s worse.
    Much Much Worse
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

kinabalu said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Hm, a bit.

More like a 'free ride when... (someone else has) already paid' in this case. Or quite possible 'good advice... (from your auditors) that you just didn't take'.
    Who would have thought? It's figures.
  • Options
    kjh said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

It depends how you define pandemic.

As a crisis, it's over.
  • Options

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

Surprising, although it might have helped if they asked do you have any clue at all on the difference between pandemic and endemic before asking the question about if it is ongoing.

Looking at the breakdowns must be one of the few issues where leave and remain are identical but still get a big split by age.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Bullshit , we are a sovereign nation , being treated as a colony.
  • Options

Any dodgy careerist SNP MPs who might consider 'doing a Christian Wakeford' if things get even worse for them? Proclaiming they've had a Damascene conversion and ask to take the Labour whip?
    Would Starmer even accept any defection offers at this point (bearing in mind SLAB are currently selecting their candidates for the next GE)?

No.
    I'm not denying the possibility of dodgy careerist SNP MPs but what would be the advantage of changing horses for 16 months, having your reputation trashed and a very chancy gamble on keeping your seat under a SLab flag? A Damascene conversion to the pro Brexit, pro Trident, anti benefit scroungers, anti immigration party would be a hard sell as an act of principle.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

It voted in 2014 to stay in the UK. It then voted in 2021 to ask the question again. Compu... Westminster said No and some say the veto was justified because 2014 isn't that long ago.

Others say it wasn't justified because (i) Scotland has since been yanked out of the EU against its will (the 'material change of circumstances' angle) and (ii) a Scottish election had been won on the platform of holding another vote (the 'democracy' angle).

But whatever, the heart of the matter is the same. Scotland is sans national sovereignty and this is why Sindy as a cause and a project differs fundamentally from Brexit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

One for @AndyJS on chatgpt not always being entirely reliable,:

May I suggest mandatory maths education for young AIs?
    AIs know that linear time is an illusion.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868
    edited April 2023

No.
    I'm not denying the possibility of dodgy careerist SNP MPs but what would be the advantage of changing horses for 16 months, having your reputation trashed and a very chancy gamble on keeping your seat under a SLab flag? A Damascene conversion to the pro Brexit, pro Trident, anti benefit scroungers, anti immigration party would be a hard sell as an act of principle.
    Also, at Holyrood, depending on the slate, it could mean displacing a Labour list MSP for (sometimes) a Tory or SNP MSP list candidate. The SNP have quite a high percentage of constituency MSPs so if Labour get one or two more then the mechanism works to compensate for that (as per fiddle (c) D. Dewar and SLD). What I am not sure about is if the change occurs at once or has an effect at the next election.
  • Options

Good afternoon

I think there is a real possibility of a few SNP by elections which they could lose, raising the prospect of a vonc and new Holyrood elections

Anyone else agree?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

It is great that your big district council has all these devolved powers. Congrats. Scotland does not have sovereignty. Get over it. Now that the Scotch Nasty Party has imploded it looks very unlikely it ever will.
    Yeah, I guessed sovereignty would be a black and white issue to a limited intellect.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    Great Great Great Great Grandfather went to Berwick once
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I am guessing that Rupe proved too stingy an old bastard to offer enough to settle.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2023/apr/18/fox-news-dominion-defamation-trial-live-updates-us-politics

Shouldn't be allowed - if the parties have taken it that far, with all the cost and expense of a trial, it should be determined there. They all had chances to settle.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Hm, a bit.

Utter bollocks, up to PB Scotch expert standards
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

The UK legislation which founded the Scottish Parliament, explicitly prohibited them from calling a referendum on Scottish independence off their own back. Because of course it did.

The PM permitted a referendum on that subject in 2014, on a “Once-in-lifetime” basis.
    You have obviously never read the Edinburgh Agreement then.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 45% (+1)
    CON: 27% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+1)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (-2)

via @YouGov, 12-13 Apr

(Changes with 6 Apr)

That's better. I'm far happier to see mid to high teens. It's our turn ffs. It's time to pack up if we can't get a Labour government when there's no rational reason for the floating non-ideological voter to not fancy a change after 14 years of the Tories.
    "It's our turn ffs" has a certain ring to it, though I am not sure many floating voters will rally to it.
    It is the essence of the situation but as a slogan that's just between me and PB.

For the GE we will be going with something in the more traditional 'aspirational' lexicon of "up up and away in our beautiful balloon".
    Of course, the last person who's real (not very secret mantra was "it's my turn ffs" was that nice Gordon Brown

That turned out well....
    It did! Not for him (he hated the job) but for us - we lucked into having the best person possible at the helm when the financial system went pear.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Good afternoon Malc

Lovely sunny day here and hope it is so in Ayrshire

Until the Scots show an appetite for independence then they must be content with the union

The SNP need to gain majority support for independence, and recent events looks like it is a very long way from achieving that objective
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

Not really surprising, I gather from my mum at Easter that oldies are still being called for vaccines.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

It depends how you define pandemic.

As a crisis, it's over.
    I would guess that respondents are interpreting this as 'this is something I think about at least semi-regularly.'

In which case I'm surprised and disappointed that it's so high. It barely features in my thoughts any more (and it has been in my house in the past month.)
    For which I feel profoundly grateful. For a year or more it felt like I thought of little else. Which made me far iller than my two or three bouts of covid did.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    Okay then.

3/4 Scottish by parentage. Father grew up in Rutherglen, just off Blairbeth Rd, and other grandfather was from Paisley.
    Corby Scots?
    0% Scottish in reality
  • Options

Good afternoon

I think there is a real possibility of a few SNP by elections which they could lose, raising the prospect of a vonc and new Holyrood elections

Anyone else agree?
    Wouldn't think so. The past SNP and Labour to independent and Green didn't trigger any by elections, even when they were list MSPs.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Leon said:

Ahahah

"The named officers on
    @thesnp
    accounts filed with the Electoral Commission - Peter Murrell, Colin Beattie and Nicola Sturgeon."

https://twitter.com/johncferguson/status/1648264210051215361?s=20

Ooh err Mrs....
  • Options
    Leon said:

"So
    Something does not ring true about these arrests, timings, media tipped off and all run the story at the identical time."

The conspiracy is that when the big news happens, all the news media tend to report that big news as it happens. See what they did there? Normally the Daily Mail would wait two weeks, the BBC might report it next year, ITV would do it to coincide with nice weather, and so on, but this time - because it was the SNP Treasurer being arrested - the unionist news media, probably guided by MI5 and Mossad, deliberately reported the arrest on the same day he was arrested

Loonies, plod have taken 2 years to get to this stage.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

It voted in 2014 to stay in the UK. It then voted in 2021 to ask the question again.
    No it didn't, because the vote in 2021 couldn't possibly lead to a legal referendum.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

I seem to recall a fairly recent referendum on Scottish independence that was won overwhelmingly by NO.

Look, I get the arguments. If I was Scottish I might be pro Indy. In many ways as a 'little englander' I would be happy if the Scots chose to go their own way. But its the same dishonesty as Brexit - not confronting the main issues BEFORE a vote - the currency, trade with rUK, share of national debt and so on.

Make the case on heart alone and you set up to do Brexit mark 2, but a lot worse.
    Pity you lot are too cowardly to chance it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited April 2023
    Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?
    Wouldn't think so. The past SNP and Labour to independent and Green didn't trigger any by elections, even when they were list MSPs.

Isn't there an SNP mp under recall and as yet we do not know how many SNP msp could face recall

Though I do accept the recall mp is in Westminster
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Shouldn't be allowed - if the parties have taken it that far, with all the cost and expense of a trial, it should be determined there. They all had chances to settle.
    Eh ?
    It's a civil suit; the parties pay the costs. It's entirely between them whether they settle or not.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

The UK legislation which founded the Scottish Parliament, explicitly prohibited them from calling a referendum on Scottish independence off their own back. Because of course it did.

The PM permitted a referendum on that subject in 2014, on a “Once-in-lifetime” basis.
    I have. It committed both sides to respecting the result - a commitment that only one side has honoured.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    Okay then.

3/4 Scottish by parentage. Father grew up in Rutherglen, just off Blairbeth Rd, and other grandfather was from Paisley.
    Corby Scots?
    0% Scottish in reality
    Eh? Most Corby Scots moved there in the 1930s. I knew Sandpit had lived in (or close to) East Northamptonshire so I put 2 and 2 together. And made 5, it turns out. But it seems odd to dismiss Corby Scots as 0% Scottish because they moved out of Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    Not much has changed since then, but they live without water* and his great great great great granddaughterson is pretty fine?**

*well, not much of it, anyway
    **YMMV
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Very Jim Hacker/The British Sausage
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kjh said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

I'm 69. For me this particular issue is over but I can fully understand that the experience has scarred for life.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    This foundational argument over Scottish Independence really is PB at its worst.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?
    Isn't there an SNP mp under recall and as yet we do not know how many SNP mps could face recall

Er, Ms Ferrier is (a) not a MSP (apart from appealing, and not even yet recalled). But more to the point you were asking about Holyrood elections.

Edit: and of course Ms F is not even a SNP MP.
  • Options
    Archaeologists discover remains of Roman fortlet near Clydebank
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65309762

No doubt some wit can make something of this ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

"So

Loonies, plod have taken 2 years to get to this stage.
    But it's going to provide loads of entertainment....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?
    Isn't there an SNP mp under recall and as yet we do not know how many SNP mps could face recall

Er, Ms Ferrier is (a) not a MSP (apart from appealing, and not even yet recalled). But more to the point you were asking about Holyrood elections.
    Agreed and I corrected my post
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

AIUI, settlement of a a civil case at any point has always been allowed, indeed encouraged, even after trial has begun.

Not sure what you're basing your theory on,especially as the parties (at least one of them) are on hook for the costs, NOT the state (in this case, Delaware). And settling who pays is part of any settlement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone heard of the scanning electoral microscope that ChatGPT seems to have invented in this discussion of the 1997 General Election?

It sounds a useful analytical tool.
    Does HYUFD have one ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

You have obviously never read the Edinburg
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

It voted in 2014 to stay in the UK. It then voted in 2021 to ask the question again. Compu... Westminster said No and some say the veto was justified because 2014 isn't that long ago.

Others say it wasn't justified because (i) Scotland has since been yanked out of the EU against its will (the 'material change of circumstances' angle) and (ii) a Scottish election had been won on the platform of holding another vote (the 'democracy' angle).

But whatever, the heart of the matter is the same. Scotland is sans national sovereignty and this is why Sindy as a cause and a project differs fundamentally from Brexit.
    You will have crashed Dumbo's brain cell with that answer
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone heard of the scanning electoral microscope that ChatGPT seems to have invented in this discussion of the 1997 General Election?

That would be Mandelson, I guess?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

This foundational argument over Scottish Independence really is PB at its worst.

I've got six more Scottish independence threads planned between now and Saturday.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    The Sindy version of but where are you really from?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

The two votes you refer to are not the same at all. As you know.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?

It's an interesting question though what happens if there are defections, given the Holyrood system. As per my other recent post.

PS I did add an amendment to mine - I had myself clean forgotten for the moment that Ms Ferrier hasn't been a SNP Mp for rather a long time (though I see Slab are carefully wording their public statements around that fact ...).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.

Yes, it's also perfectly possible to be hypocritical!

It's also perfectly possible to say 'I support Brexit because I want it. And I oppose Sindy because I don't want it.' I'd suggest that's not hypocritical, though also not particularly sophisticated. (Though I'd suggest anyone on any side suggesting that this sort of analysis doesn't feature in their thinking is lying to themselves :-) )
    You're at it again. I'm going to have to start converting this stuff into logic equations. My logic lecturer would have loved you and I'm not sure if that is a complement or not, as he was as nutty as a fruit cake.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

It sounds a useful analytical tool.
    Does HYUFD have one ?
    Would certainly explain a lot.

Though perhaps in this instance, ChatGPT was referring to general election of 1992 BC(E), not AD?

Which would indeed be BEFORE 1997 win by New Labour!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?

Although, hypothetically if an MSP is jailed for more than a year they will lose their seat..
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I've got six more Scottish independence threads planned between now and Saturday.
    Splendid .
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    Driver said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

Not really surprising, I gather from my mum at Easter that oldies are still being called for vaccines.
    Folk get called for flu jabs too, but who would say that we have a flue pandemic?
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Of course not, dear. The dates are different, dear. Have a gold star to stick on the wall chart.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    rcs1000 - Is ChatGPT implying that C2 voters are viruses?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,585
    Forbes's rise has been meteoric and she has done well. The first time she has obviously failed at something is just coming second in the leadership election. This just happened to be a fantastically good time to just come second by a few points, while very obviously being the best candidate and losing to an establishment figure.

She is a Premier League Lucky General.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

The generations are getting considerably shorter.
  • Options

Driver said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

Folk get called for flu jabs too, but who would say that we have a flue pandemic?
    With that spelling such ideas will go up in smoke...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

You have obviously never read the Edinburg

Carnyx said:

Good afternoon

Anyone else agree?

Isn't there an SNP mp under recall and as yet we do not know how many SNP msp could face recall

Though I do accept the recall mp is in Westminster
    G, Margaret Ferrier is appealing her 10 day suspension so I doubt they can have any recall till that is finalised.
    You can be sure the SNP will not be so keen now to have a By Election, Useless has stopped calling for her to resign big time.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited April 2023
    Labour leads by 16% in the Red Wall.

Red Wall VI (16 April):

Labour 47% (-2)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 7% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (+1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 3 April

One of the critical questions for the next General Election in the United Kingdom will be whether the Conservative Party can hold onto the mostly northern, traditionally Labour voting constituencies that they won in 2019—often described, if somewhat inaccurately, as the Red Wall.1 Accordingly, we at Redfield and Wilton Strategies have taken up the challenge of regularly polling this cluster of politically salient constituencies.

In the forty ‘Red Wall’ seats that we poll, the Conservatives won all in 2019 but Hartlepool (which was won in a subsequent parliamentary by-election) with 46.7% of the vote to Labour’s 37.9%. Reform UK, previously known as the Brexit Party, came third in these seats with 6.5% of the vote.

Our latest Red Wall poll finds Labour leading the Conservatives by 16%, three points less than in our previous poll conducted on 3 April and the joint-narrowest lead for Labour in these seats in 2023. Altogether, the results of our poll (with changes from 3 April) are as follows:

Labour 47% (-2)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 7% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (+1)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 14%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 11% of the sample says they do not know how they would vote, including 10% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 4% of those who voted Labour.

Altogether, 84% of those who voted Labour in 2019 say they would vote Labour again, while 60% of those who voted Conservative say they would vote Conservative again.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s approval rating in the Red Wall registers at -7% (+5), his highest rating in these seats since late November. 31% (+1) of those in the Red Wall, including 48% (-1) of 2019 Conservative voters, say they approve of Sunak’s performance. 38% (-4) of respondents disapprove.

34% (-3) approve and 31% (-2) disapprove of Keir Starmer’s job performance since he became Leader of the Labour Party, giving him a net approval rating of +3%, one point lower than in our previous poll and his lowest approval rating in these seats since September last year.

When asked who would be a better Prime Minister between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, Starmer (37%, -4) leads Sunak (36%, +1) by one point. 27% (+3) say they don’t know.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

Of course not, dear. The dates are different, dear. Have a gold star to stick on the wall chart.
    My word the nits are tetchy today. Wonder why?🤣😭😂🤣😂😭❤️❤️❤️
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    Okay then.

Corby Scots?
    0% Scottish in reality
    Doesn't have your racial purity eh Adolf?

Inbreeding does explain your stupidity though, and your extra finger that I guess comes in quite handy when your one finger typing gets difficult.

You don't even try and hide your fascist tendencies do you? At least @StuartDickson used to try and cover his Anglophobic racism as he knew how thick it made him look. You are too thick to realise how thick it makes you look.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    rcs1000 said:

We've finally found out why SKS fans can't explain this
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

That's correct they aren't the same. The 1st was a Sindy referendum. The 2nd was (inter alia) about having another Sindy referendum. Which didn't happen because Westminster said No.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

I’m British.
    Of Scottish heritage?

Do tell me more..
    The Sindy version of but where are you really from?
    I am Ayrshire born to Scottish parents , one side of grandparents were Irish other Scottish.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

That's correct they aren't the same. The 1st was a Sindy referendum. The 2nd was (inter alia) about having another Sindy referendum. Which didn't happen because Westminster said No.
    Carnyx said I could have a gold star. He's so 🥰
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

The second was about electing representatives to the Scottish Parliament, which has no power to call a legal secession referendum, and therefore by definition the election can't have been about that, much as Sturgeon might have pretended.
  • Options
    Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

I have. It committed both sides to respecting the result - a commitment that only one side has honoured.
    It did not say forever, it was accepted at the time but that was 9 years ago.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

To illustrate -

It voted in 2014 to stay in the UK. It then voted in 2021 to ask the question again.
    No it didn't, because the vote in 2021 couldn't possibly lead to a legal referendum.
    Of course it could have led to a legal referendum. If Westminster had said Yes it would have happened. But they said No, so it didn't.
  • Options

NEW THREAD, Kinda.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    rcs1000 said:

Has it really picked this term up as an occasional error for "scanning electron microscope" and let its imagination run riot?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's making me barf.

Good afternoon Malc

Lovely sunny day here and hope it is so in Ayrshire

Until the Scots show an appetite for independence then they must be content with the union

The SNP need to gain majority support for independence, and recent events looks like it is a very long way from achieving that objective
    Hello G, lovely here this week , hope you are well. I think now it is well proven that a political party cannot be trusted re Independence ( certainly not current SNP). It needs the SCottish people to demand it, we will see how it goes, given the way we are currently treated by our Lords and Masters down south it may be sooner than Little Englanders think. It si most certainly NOT going away.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    felix said:

Driver said:

All Britons

18-24 year olds

65+ year olds

With that spelling such ideas will go up in smoke...
    I blame autocorrect.

Either that or my spelling has gone to (chimney) pot.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Only six , pick up the pace
This discussion has been closed.