Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s small boats policy doesn’t look like an election winner – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited April 2023 in General
imageSunak’s small boats policy doesn’t look like an election winner – politicalbetting.com

It has been widely reported that the prime minister sees solving the small boats issue as being an essential plank in his efforts to hold onto power at the next general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473
    Well, first, but...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473
    ...warming to a theme from the previous thread, and as an antidote to @Leon 's advice - which I don't necessarily reject - I haven't really been single since I've been 18. I've never properly been dumped. And I don't lament where I've ended up in my 40s - but I do sometimes rather wish I'd been rather more single in my 20s. This isn't just for the romantic opportunities (however you may categorise those), but because there is so much I wish I'd done, in retrospect, that I didn't, because I wasn't single. For me, I would have walked every Wainwright, every Munro, cycled the length and breadth of the British Isles. For others, the opportunities may be different. But for a single 19 year old the world is truly his oyster. Hard to tell him this when he was dumped a week ago. But life for him now is truly an open book.
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    But isn't this

a) As much as those with a current VI of Labour, more aimed at "bringing back" the 2019 Tories who are current Don't Knows, of which there are a lot at the moment.

b) Not really about small boats, it's waiting for "lefty lawyers" (nudge nudge, wink, wink) whose bizarre interest in not breaking international law is proof that they won't Stand Up For Britain And The British when push comes to shove. Therefore Starmer can't be trusted, he's just another Corbyn who you can't trust.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    A policy that has 73% support among your own voters doesn’t look like an obvious dud. Sunak has to 1) get his supporters to vote, 2) nibble at the undecided / leaners. 21/22% support among Lab & LD voters is not a bad place to start. Getting a policy that actually works, on the other hand…..
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    Interesting how strongly correlated the leave/con % is.

This policy is the tories greatest hits brexit tour. Shoring up the core vote.

They’re out of ideas and terrified of their right flank splintering.

I think it’s futile and destructive. Is anyone really convinced this good immigrant / bad immigrant binary will outlast Sunak?

It’s only a matter of time before the nativist right coalesce behind someone calling for an all out ban on immigration, imo.

The Sunak/Braverman/Badeonch’s are playing with fire and are very likely to get burnt. They get churned up and spat out and either give up, like Javid, or turn on the party, like Warsi.

Going big on the small boats is just encouraging the bastards.
  • Options
    LONDON, March 28 (Reuters) - Windfall taxes mean oil and gas producers in the British North Sea will likely leave 500 million barrels of oil equivalent in the ground over the next decade, the equivalent of one year's output in the ageing basin, industry group OEUK said on Tuesday.

Over the past year, Britain has introduced windfall taxes on oil and gas as well as on renewables, which companies say stifles investment and in turn will likely increase Britain's dependence on imported fuels and derail its climate targets.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-oil-gas-firms-leave-years-worth-output-ground-with-tax-hikes-report-2023-03-27
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Burkina Faso has suspended broadcasting from France 24 after they broadcast an interview with the leader of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. France seems to be going from one diplomatic incident in Africa to the next at the moment.

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1640259645271941120
  • Options

LONDON, March 28 (Reuters) - Windfall taxes mean oil and gas producers in the British North Sea will likely leave 500 million barrels of oil equivalent in the ground over the next decade, the equivalent of one year's output in the ageing basin, industry group OEUK said on Tuesday.

Over the past year, Britain has introduced windfall taxes on oil and gas as well as on renewables, which companies say stifles investment and in turn will likely increase Britain's dependence on imported fuels and derail its climate targets.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-oil-gas-firms-leave-years-worth-output-ground-with-tax-hikes-report-2023-03-27

Industry lobby group dislikes tax on industry. Knock me down!

The privatised utilities had a collective bed wetting exercise before the windfall tax in 1997 as well.
  • Options
    Today, a mass shooter murdered three children and three adults at a Christian school in Nashville, TN.

The murderer (pronouns: was/were) was transgender and had written a manifesto detailing their intentions, which come days after Tennessee passed child protection laws intended to curb children from being subjected to trans surgeries and other irreversible procedures.

Their heinous actions follow months of media-driven rhetoric about a “trans genocide,” and calls for a so-called “Day of Trans Retribution” in the United States.

It’s conceivable that much of the conservative public, derided as “cis” is now open season for gender extremists who’ve been terrorizing women who dare to speak out against the woke ideology.

When they tell you what they intend to do, believe them.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1640492141381324801
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I think this is one of those pb headers where the headline and the op-ed simply isn't supported by the data.

Yup and quel surprise!..…
  • Options

Today, a mass shooter murdered three children and three adults at a Christian school in Nashville, TN.

The murderer (pronouns: was/were) was transgender and had written a manifesto detailing their intentions, which come days after Tennessee passed child protection laws intended to curb children from being subjected to trans surgeries and other irreversible procedures.

Their heinous actions follow months of media-driven rhetoric about a “trans genocide,” and calls for a so-called “Day of Trans Retribution” in the United States.

It’s conceivable that much of the conservative public, derided as “cis” is now open season for gender extremists who’ve been terrorizing women who dare to speak out against the woke ideology.

We await the comments from the usual subjects... ' Nothing to see here'.. bla, bla, bla...
  • Options
    Very pleased to note that next time I’m Talking Scotland Down I’m also doing so on behalf of almost half the SNP.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1640422660487168000?s=20
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261

Because I'd never heard of it I just googled 'Day of Trans Retribution' and I got literally 1 hit which is the tweet you posted.
    Probably wise to wait until the facts come out from a reputable source.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Because I'd never heard of it I just googled 'Day of Trans Retribution' and I got literally 1 hit which is the tweet you posted.
    On all of the main news channels this morning....
  • Options
    felix said:

kamski said:

"Day of Trans Retribution"? Really? Any links?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Do a Twitter search for “Trans Day of Vengeance”

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,917
    edited March 2023
    Whist this issue is not top of anyone’s list, well behind the economy and inflation, it’s the sort of thing that can affect turnout. If there’s still thousands of smal boats arriving, many Conservatives may well sit on their hands come Election Day. I’m still not sure that Sunak understands the need to actually stop the crossings, rather than talking about stopping them.

Many voters don’t understand why irregular arrivals from France, are not simply taken to Dover and put on the next ferry back.
  • Options

kamski said:

Just odd that after this shooting someone would choose to post an inaccurate tweet from someone in Malaysia who has praised Hitler, rather than something that might be a bit more reliable.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,672

I think this is one of those pb headers where the headline and the op-ed simply isn't supported by the data.

I think it is. To be a vote winner, a policy has to have strong support, and strong salience. 23% strongly supporting the policy and 19% mildly supporting it doesn’t sound very strong - of those 23% we can see how few are currently planning to vote Labour or Lib Dem. Anyone saying don’t know or somewhat support isn’t going to be swayed to vote Tory unless either Labour makes a catastrophic blunder on the topic, or it turns out to be a stunning success without a single story emerging of a cute orphan or Afghan interpreter packed off to Rwanda by heartless home office officials.

And it doesn’t currently have much salience. Way down the list of priorities in polling.

Potentially a vote preserver from leakage to REF, but those votes are going back Tory anyway. I doubt REF will get more than 2% at the GE small boats or otherwise.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Just odd that after this shooting someone would choose to post an inaccurate tweet from someone in Malaysia who has praised Hitler, rather than something that might be a bit more reliable.
    How’s the squirrel hunt going? Just odd that some choose to minimise or wave away male violence - because that’s what this is about
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Whist this issue is not top of anyone’s list, well behind the economy and inflation, it’s the sort of thing that can affect turnout. If there’s still thousands of smal boats arriving, many Conservatives may well sit on their hands come Election Day. I’m still not sure that Sunak understands the need to actually stop the crossings, rather than talking about stopping them.

Many voters don’t understand why irregular arrivals from France, are not simply taken to Dover and put on the next ferry back.

Joined up government = huge tidal energy barrage on the South East coast. Green energy and tricky small boat obstacle.
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

kamski said:

"Day of Trans Retribution"? Really? Any links?
    I just watched it on Sky..
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,289
    It's all reminiscent of John Major's doomed 1997 campaign. A desperate attempt to shore up the core support through anti-woke jingoisim etc.

None of this will work to win over the centre ground of Britain, where all elections are won or lost. This one is already lost.

The Day of Reckoning is coming and it will be very unpleasant for the tories.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Is that on Sky too?
  • Options

kamski said:

You really are stark raving bonkers.

A total obsessive on this topic. Endlessly posting about it. Endlessly trawling the internet for the faintest inkling of a link to your sheer obsession.

• Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

How’s the squirrel hunt going? Just odd that some choose to minimise or wave away male violence - because that’s what this is about
    What’s the odds that, at the “Trans Day Of Vengeance” rally, actual transgender people will be outnumbered by the usual Antifa mob dressed in black and wearing balaclavas, spoiling for a fight? Perhaps there will also be a Proud Boys mob there too, just to make sure the fight happens.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Heathener said:

Is that on Sky too?
    No but it's on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpyks_lPhQ
  • Options
    Heathener said:

kamski said:

A total obsessive on this topic. Endlessly posting about it. Endlessly trawling the internet for the faintest inkling of a link to your sheer obsession.

Another one waving away the shooting of 3 9 year olds and 3 staff….
  • Options

Heathener said:

kamski said:

No of course I'm not but you really are a nutter. You will find any link to 'prove' your obsession.

There will be multiple reasons why this heinous crime was committed and as I'm not privy to the inside workings of this evil person's mind, and nor are you, I won't resort to nonsense on twitter to prove or disprove any tendentious theory.

I'm afraid you have become one of these nutty internet obsessives. And, like the old days when the JW's would knock on one's door, it's impossible to get you to see a bigger picture or even an alternative viewpoint.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

No it's not and it is pretty disgusting that you choose to smear me that way. It's an appeal in general to wait for the facts, and a question as to why use a far-right troll as a source on such a serious matter?

• Options
    Binance getting taken to court in the US, by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-27/crypto-exchange-binance-sued-by-us-cftc-for-alleged-derivatives-rule-lapses

Binance, and CEO Changpeng Zhao, charged with selling financial products subject to regulation, without involving the regulator, and the products themselves not being compliant with the regulations.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Back on topic (remember that thing Carlotta - something that isn't your anti-trans obsession?) I see these Sunak policies as designed to boost the core Red Wall tory votes.

As Mike points out, the problem is that this will not go down well with the other previously Conservative-voting middle Englanders. I have a close Conservative friend in Surrey who is horrified by this and cannot stand Suella Braverman. Another floating voter friend in west London is disgusted by it.

When in opposition William Hague went out to the right and it didn't do him any good either.

The Conservatives will not return to power until they rediscover the centre ground.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,309
    The purpose of the policy is not to pull in extra people by making the government more attractive, but to provide a stick to beat Labour with in the hope that it deters the large number of currently DKs and “maybe next time I’ll give Labour a try”s from voting for them.

Whether it will work is another matter; beyond a certain point, hysterical attacks on your opponent simply make you look ridiculous (cf. Demon Eyes).

Rishi’s problem is that he is trapped between his ultras and those voters to whom such a policy might appeal, and the need to swing the party back to a more moderate position that probably reflects his own instincts, away from economic matters.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

No it's not and it is pretty disgusting that you choose to smear me that way. It's an appeal in general to wait for the facts, and a question as to why use a far-right troll as a source on such a serious matter?

I apologise if you felt smeared but as you can read above any posts I make on the topic are dismissed as those of an obsessive nutter - I was told repeatedly that the Scottish GRR was irrelevant and nobody cared. How did that work out? That people questioning “affirmative care” were transphobes and worthy only of contempt. However, I was following the science in this child abuse scandal and the US and antipodes are now the outliers as European countries pause for thought. The anti-women activists are the ones resorting to violence as we saw in Auckland - and are practicing it in the U.K. and the US.
  • Options
    What exactly is it about the police, that attracts some of the most screwed-up and violent people to apply?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11908993/Policeman-pushed-pregnant-partner-stairs-convicted-controlling-coercive-behaviour.html

A policeman who pushed his pregnant partner down a flight of stairs because he did not want the baby has been convicted of controlling and coercive behaviour.

“Thomas Gair pushed his pregnant girlfriend Chloe Bradley, also a police officer, down the stairs at their home in Norton, Teesside in May 2020, after three years of ongoing abuse.”
  • Options
    Doesn't matter on what happens with the boats, this is what the voters will remember.

Food prices inflation up to new high

Food prices inflation has risen by 15 per cent in a year, causing prices in Britain’s shops to climb faster than ever before.

Average shop prices are now 8.9 per cent higher than they were at this time a year ago, the highest rate of annual inflation that the British Retail Consortium, which collects the data, has recorded. It marks an acceleration from the 8.4 per cent noted in February.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/food-prices-inflation-up-to-new-high-gwnjhsdbx
  • Options

pronouns: was/were?!

Where was were? Was was 'ere
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Back on topic (remember that thing Carlotta - something that isn't your anti-trans obsession?) I see these Sunak policies as designed to boost the core Red Wall tory votes.

As Mike points out, the problem is that this will not go down well with the other previously Conservative-voting middle Englanders. I have a close Conservative friend in Surrey who is horrified by this and cannot stand Suella Braverman. Another floating voter friend in west London is disgusted by it.

When in opposition William Hague went out to the right and it didn't do him any good either.

The Conservatives will not return to power until they rediscover the centre ground.

The only time in my life that someone on the wing-edges of their party beat a more centre ground politician was 1979, and then only just. 1987 feasibly, though Kinnock’s Labour was still seen as pretty left wing.

1983 right wing beat hard left, 1992 centre right beat soft left, 1997 centre-left beat centre-right, 2001 centre left beat right, 2005 likewise, 2010 centre right beat soft left, likewise 2015, 2017 trad right beat hard left, 2019 hard right beat hard left.

2024 soft left will beat hardish right.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

I apologise if you felt smeared but as you can read above any posts I make on the topic are dismissed as those of an obsessive nutter - I was told repeatedly that the Scottish GRR was irrelevant and nobody cared. How did that work out? That people questioning “affirmative care” were transphobes and worthy only of contempt. However, I was following the science in this child abuse scandal and the US and antipodes are now the outliers as European countries pause for thought. The anti-women activists are the ones resorting to violence as we saw in Auckland - and are practicing it in the U.K. and the US.
    I agree it's unfair to call you a nutter just for posting a lot on a subject. And I'm sure you know more about it than I do - I tend to refrain from commenting on trans issues because I just don't know enough.

But there's a history of rightwing US commentry jumping on any shootings before the facts are known to try and blame those they dislike, and especially to try and avoid any suggestions that handing guns out to everyone might not be a great idea.

And of course this shooting is being used by transphobes, and the far-right, so my appeal to be careful still stands.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

I agree it's unfair to call you a nutter just for posting a lot on a subject. And I'm sure you know more about it than I do - I tend to refrain from commenting on trans issues because I just don't know enough.

But there's a history of rightwing US commentry jumping on any shootings before the facts are known to try and blame those they dislike, and especially to try and avoid any suggestions that handing guns out to everyone might not be a great idea.

And of course this shooting is being used by transphobes, and the far-right, so my appeal to be careful still stands.
    The issue with the right being involved in questioning trans propaganda and its most insidious aspect in the US - affirmative care - is because the Democrats are full hearted supporters of it. Posie Parker gets criticised for speaking to right wing US foundations - this is why she does:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=95iVlvw5fzM&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,440

kamski said:

kamski said:

Of course it is about male violence, although reports differ on whether Audrey Hale is a biological woman transitioning to male, or vice versa. Anyway, one way or the other, she's a man.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,265
    edited March 2023
    No pronouns at all in the Beeb live feed description (edit - unless you count 'who')

What we know about the shooter

Police have identified the shooter who killed three children and three adults this morning at Covenant School. The suspect was killed by police.

The shooter was named as 28-year-old Audrey Hale, who police said identified as transgender
    Police believe the suspect was a former student of the private school
    The suspect had two assault-style weapons and a handgun, and at least two were purchased legally
    The suspect also had a manifesto and had drawn a detailed map of the school, with entry points
    The suspect got in by firing through one of the school doors
    Police said the suspect had no previous criminal record
  • Options

Past tense. Dead now.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

The issue with the right being involved in questioning trans propaganda and its most insidious aspect in the US - affirmative care - is because the Democrats are full hearted supporters of it. Posie Parker gets criticised for speaking to right wing US foundations - this is why she does:

No, she gets criticised for posting shit like this.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Past tense. Dead now.
    Pronouns don't have a tense!
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Criticism of hijabs as sexist isn’t allowed? Good to know. More “no discussion”.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    edited March 2023

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Criticism of hijabs as sexist isn’t allowed? Good to know. More “no discussion”.
    Oh dear, that's not what was said, but well done for ignoring the second tweet.

But you keep on portraying 'Posie Parker' and Ian Miles Cheong as the voice of reason.

You do have to wonder why so many other organisations that have doubts about Trans rights have cut off ties with her but you appear to want us all to think the Tommy Robinson support is a paragon of virtue.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

Doesn't matter on what happens with the boats, this is what the voters will remember.

Food prices inflation has risen by 15 per cent in a year, causing prices in Britain’s shops to climb faster than ever before.

Average shop prices are now 8.9 per cent higher than they were at this time a year ago, the highest rate of annual inflation that the British Retail Consortium, which collects the data, has recorded. It marks an acceleration from the 8.4 per cent noted in February.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/food-prices-inflation-up-to-new-high-gwnjhsdbx

One thing I have noticed in the consumer confidence data is that there has been a decent recovery in confidence among those on >£50k but none among everyone else. I think stuff like this has a lot to do with that. Until we see confidence improving among middle income earners I would be wary of expecting a major Tory recovery, however nasty they are to kids fleeing war zones.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,718

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

"Disgusting.. sortitout" is discussion ?
  • Options
    One for @Leon .
    If he's quick, he can get the book written before an AI manages to,

I prompted GPT-4 to provide a theory on how a LLM could generate artificial consciousness based on the works of popular neuroscientists and psychologists. Here is the output in MindBranches. (Seems reasonable enough for a Sci-fi story at least😳)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MindBranches/status/1640576272429461505
  • Options
    Taz said:

Polling not great for Humza

Or vice versa.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Why would seven year-old-girls even be wearing Islamic dress? That usually happens at puberty in Arab countries, they dress in Western clothes until then.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Why would seven year-old-girls even be wearing Islamic dress? That usually happens at puberty in Arab countries, they dress in Western clothes until then.
    I think it was said she confused the hijab with the dupatta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupatta
  • Options
    Pras Michel stands trial in Washington, D.C., for conspiracy and other charges
    https://www.npr.org/2023/03/27/1166119614/pras-michel-fugees

...At the center of the case is a billionaire named Jho Low, who allegedly bilked Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund of billions of dollars to fill his own pockets and curry favor with celebrities and American presidents. Low is a fugitive from justice believed to be in China, so Michel is standing trial on his own.

"The defendant, Prakazrel Michel, received over $100 million from Jho Low, a foreign fugitive responsible for one of the largest embezzlement schemes in history, to use backchannel influence to convince the then-President of the United States to drop a federal investigation into Low and to agree to the extrajudicial removal of a Chinese exile living in the United States," wrote prosecutors John Keller, Sean Mulryne and Nicole Lockhart.

Prosecutors put Michel in the middle of two different sets of alleged crimes: first, an illegal plan to enlist people to attend a fundraising dinner for Barack Obama during the 2012 presidential campaign; reimburse them $40,000 apiece using foreign sources of money for the cost of the tickets; and then threatening some of them if they came clean to authorities...

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    edited March 2023
    I wonder what first inspired Rishi Sunak to want to take action against problem neighbours who have rowdy parties?

Landlords promised power to evict rowdy tenants in two weeks

Airbnb database to help councils tackle noise under antisocial behaviour plan

Landlords will be able to evict tenants who are disruptive to neighbours, cause damage or fall behind on their rent within two weeks under government plans to tackle antisocial behaviour.

Homeowners who rent out their properties on Airbnb will also be forced to register on a new database that will make it easier for local councils to deal with complaints about rowdy guests.

The proposals were among dozens promised by Rishi Sunak in a plan to address increased public concerns about antisocial behaviour.

All new private tenancy agreements will have to include clauses that specifically ban antisocial behaviour. The notice period for eviction on these grounds will be cut from four to two weeks. Grounds for eviction will include “persistently problematic tenants” who cause disturbance through noise, drunken behaviour, drug use and damage to property, as well as falling behind on rent.

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1640600162367164416
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

kamski said:

So Trans people can also be murderers.
  • Options
    Rob_downunderRob_downunder Posts: 128
    edited March 2023

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

But you keep on portraying 'Posie Parker' and Ian Miles Cheong as the voice of reason.

You do have to wonder why so many other organisations that have doubts about Trans rights have cut off ties with her but you appear to want us all to think the Tommy Robinson support is a paragon of virtue.
    I'm reluctant to add oxygen to this stuff, but just some insights from here in Australia where we've endured 'Posie Parker'. She has given interviews and retweets a guy called Avi Yemini a fair bit. He runs a far right outfit called Rebel News, but perhaps more interestingly pled guilty and was charged with assault after throwing a chopping board at his now ex-wife:https://thebrag.com/avi-yemini-charged-assaulting-ex-wife/

Hardly renowned for standing up for Women's Rights!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    IanB2 said:

The purpose of the policy is not to pull in extra people by making the government more attractive, but to provide a stick to beat Labour with in the hope that it deters the large number of currently DKs and “maybe next time I’ll give Labour a try”s from voting for them.

Whether it will work is another matter; beyond a certain point, hysterical attacks on your opponent simply make you look ridiculous (cf. Demon Eyes).

Rishi’s problem is that he is trapped between his ultras and those voters to whom such a policy might appeal, and the need to swing the party back to a more moderate position that probably reflects his own instincts, away from economic matters.

This polls next question is really interesting. 73% of Con voters somewhat or strongly support the small boats plan, but only 26% of Con voters think it will be very or fairly effective. 66% of Con voters believe it will be not very effective, or not at all effective. The figures from non Con voters are even worse at believing that it will work.

So we have a policy that a lot of Con voters support, despite the same voters thinking it won't work. It is hard to see this as other than performative cruelty. Meanwhile we have the first case of an Afghan veteran who flew combat missions alongside coalition forces facing deportation to Rwanda.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/afghan-pilot-small-boat-deportation-rwanda-b2307456.html

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    As this policy is massively supported by Leavers and massively opposed by Remainers it's likely to be as successful as Brexit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,428

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Is that islamophobic, though, or just ultra radical feminism?

I know plenty of radical feminists who despise the hijab or burka as tools of female oppression.

Similarly, Richard Dawkins pulls no punches when it comes to Islam - he sees it as just as stupid as any other religion.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,428
    TimS said:

I think it is. To be a vote winner, a policy has to have strong support, and strong salience. 23% strongly supporting the policy and 19% mildly supporting it doesn’t sound very strong - of those 23% we can see how few are currently planning to vote Labour or Lib Dem. Anyone saying don’t know or somewhat support isn’t going to be swayed to vote Tory unless either Labour makes a catastrophic blunder on the topic, or it turns out to be a stunning success without a single story emerging of a cute orphan or Afghan interpreter packed off to Rwanda by heartless home office officials.

And it doesn’t currently have much salience. Way down the list of priorities in polling.

Potentially a vote preserver from leakage to REF, but those votes are going back Tory anyway. I doubt REF will get more than 2% at the GE small boats or otherwise.
    A plurality support the policy and it does have strong support amongst those the Conservatives need to win back. It also has some support amongst some switchers to Labour.

You can conclude it's polarising - we are two nations, it seems - but that would be the case whichever path you chose and ignoring it /playing it down will get Rishi far less votes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    edited March 2023
    On the good news front, Kevin Mckenzie thinks Lineker and Davie are both finished. Lineker won't have his contract renewed and Davie will go as Lineker says Davie told him he had carte balance over refugees and Climate change. If they both go the left and right will be equally happy

Gary Lineker's BBC contract WON'T be renewed,
    https://youtu.be/RqzUtZglVMU
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516

One thing I have noticed in the consumer confidence data is that there has been a decent recovery in confidence among those on >£50k but none among everyone else. I think stuff like this has a lot to do with that. Until we see confidence improving among middle income earners I would be wary of expecting a major Tory recovery, however nasty they are to kids fleeing war zones.
    The mix of inflation is striking as well. Life's essentials (housing / energy / food) are going up a lot, but discretionary spending is mostly getting cheaper in real terms;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322

Presumably that's why the comfortably off are quite chipper.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

I think it was said she confused the hijab with the dupatta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupatta
    Could have been Calvinists. Here's John Calvin himself:

"So if women are thus permitted to have their heads uncovered and to show their hair, they will eventually be allowed to expose their entire breasts, and they will come to make their exhibitions as if it were a tavern show; they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more; in short they will forget the duty of nature…Further, we know that the world takes everything to its own advantage. So, if one has liberty in lesser things, why not do the same with this the same way as with that? And in making such comparisons they will make such a mess that there will be utter chaos. So, when it is permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will say, ‘Well, what harm in uncovering the stomach also?’ And then after that one will plead for something else; ‘Now if the women go bareheaded, why not also bare this and bare that?’ Then the men, for their part, will break loose too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go headlong overboard."
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited March 2023
    The big danger for Sunak is that at some point we are almost certain to arrive at the full-scale Tory civil war on pulling out of the ECHR, with most of the country looking on and thinking “here they go again”, while noting that all the people who told us Brexit would be quick, easy and pain free are now saying the same about withdrawing from the convention.

It just strikes me as a mistake to stake so much on Suella Braverman. She’s an incredibly divisive figure, is entirely focused on her own advancement and gives no strong indication of being either smart or competent.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

I know plenty of radical feminists who despise the hijab or burka as tools of female oppression.

Similarly, Richard Dawkins pulls no punches when it comes to Islam - he sees it as just as stupid as any other religion.
    Ah but the question is - is posie parker as critical of those belonging to other religions as she is of muslims? If not she fails the Richard Dawkins test.
  • Options

On the good news front, Kevin Mckenzie thinks Lineker and Davie are both finished. Lineker won't have his contract renewed and Davie will go as Lineker says Davie told him he had carte balance over refugees and Climate change. If they both go the left and right will be equally happy

He has two years to go. Who will be in government when it runs out?
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Indeed.

Richard Dawkins is no Islamophobe.

How do I know that

1) He’s equally rude about other religions

2) He never praised Tommy Robinson

3) Not regularly appeared on shows hosted by people who talk about white genocide.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Ah but the question is - is posie parker as critical of those belonging to other religions as she is of muslims? If not she fails the Richard Dawkins test.
    And indeed plenty of 'progressives' also fail the Richard Dawkins test - happy to criticise Christians as homophobic, intolerant and anti-women but curiously silent - or indeed supportive of some practices in some cases - when it comes to non-Christian religions, especially Islam.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516
    Sandpit said:

You're right that people don't understand - the question is why is that so?

(My hunch is that a "first safe country" rule would dump all the problems on safe countries bordering hellholes, in a way that wouldn't be good. And "disperse fairly globally" would need the sort of international arrangement that would go down like a bucket of cold sick with "control our borders" types, even if it's probably the best thing to do.)

But who in the media or politics is exploring this question, let alone answering it?

There are things the people do not know. They do not know because they're not told... (Claud Cockburn, I think)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nail on head. The government needs to actually deliver this policy, not just row about it as a crayon wedge issue. As the bill won't actually work, they have a big problem brewing.

I expect that next year they will reveal a Big New Policy which lifts chunks of last year's failed law and pretends it is Brand New - as this one does. That one will fail as well.

Unless we actually engage with the international community there is no solution.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

The mix of inflation is striking as well. Life's essentials (housing / energy / food) are going up a lot, but discretionary spending is mostly getting cheaper in real terms;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322

Presumably that's why the comfortably off are quite chipper.
    What seems to be going up most in supermarkets are branded items.

In Asda at the moment a 910g bottle of Heinz tomato sauce is £4, whereas a 970g of Asda tomato sauce is £1.10.
    Therefore for what is basically the same product, Heinz s more than 4 times the cost. How do Asda manage to make tomato sauce so much cheaper than Heinz, or is there just some extreme profiteering going on with Heinz?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

Sandpit said:

You're right that people don't understand - the question is why is that so?

(My hunch is that a "first safe country" rule would dump all the problems on safe countries bordering hellholes, in a way that wouldn't be good. And "disperse fairly globally" would need the sort of international arrangement that would go down like a bucket of cold sick with "control our borders" types, even if it's probably the best thing to do.)

But who in the media or politics is exploring this question, let alone answering it?

There are things the people do not know. They do not know because they're not told... (Claud Cockburn, I think)
    Maybe its because the first safe country rule doesn't really feature in the UN Convention on refugees. The obligations there are on every country who receives a claim for asylum to consider it by an appropriate judicial process. It did feature in the Dublin Convention but almost never worked in practice. Its a simplistic fantasy that makes the problem someone else's. Curiously enough, the someone else isn't terribly keen on it. France, for example, would not accept those put on the next ferry back.
  • Options

Heathener said:

kamski said:

America. They vote to protect the rights of guns more than they do to protect the rights of their children. Any other country would have one such tragedy, recoil in horror, and clamp down on guns so hard hat it couldn't happen again. Not America.

I have long concluded that they are happy with their children being murdered as they keep voting for it. Its appalling, but its their choice,
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,069
    kamski said:

kamski said:

When you attack the PB poster neutral observers assume you don’t have any actual substantive arguments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315

Heathener said:

kamski said:

America. They vote to protect the rights of guns more than they do to protect the rights of their children. Any other country would have one such tragedy, recoil in horror, and clamp down on guns so hard hat it couldn't happen again. Not America.

I have long concluded that they are happy with their children being murdered as they keep voting for it. Its appalling, but its their choice,
    Who was it said rather acidly that the current Supreme Court considers life begins at conception and ends in a mass shooting?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,069
    Heathener said:

kamski said:

Says the person who only ever posts long screeds about how the Tories are going to be mullered at the next election…

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900

kamski said:

kamski said:

When you attack the PB poster neutral observers assume you don’t have any actual substantive arguments

Hoisted by your own petard.
  • Options

I wonder what first inspired Rishi Sunak to want to take action against problem neighbours who have rowdy parties?

Landlords promised power to evict rowdy tenants in two weeks

Airbnb database to help councils tackle noise under antisocial behaviour plan

Landlords will be able to evict tenants who are disruptive to neighbours, cause damage or fall behind on their rent within two weeks under government plans to tackle antisocial behaviour.

Homeowners who rent out their properties on Airbnb will also be forced to register on a new database that will make it easier for local councils to deal with complaints about rowdy guests.

The proposals were among dozens promised by Rishi Sunak in a plan to address increased public concerns about antisocial behaviour.

All new private tenancy agreements will have to include clauses that specifically ban antisocial behaviour. The notice period for eviction on these grounds will be cut from four to two weeks. Grounds for eviction will include “persistently problematic tenants” who cause disturbance through noise, drunken behaviour, drug use and damage to property, as well as falling behind on rent.

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1640600162367164416

Where I used to live on Teesside there was a growing problem with supposedly nice middle class people making all kinds of trouble for their neighbours. In summary, homes which were rented out would end up with all of the problems listed above. It has got a lot worse since I left according to my former neighbour.

There is a problem with "just evict them" as the problem is just moved onto another place. My dad used to manage housing estates for Manchester council - they would get the small number of scumbag tenants evicted to the relief of the rest of the estate, only for evicted scum from a different estate to move in...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

Heathener said:

kamski said:

The Jon Stewart interview of that senator that was linked to a week or so ago now was so telling about that. Being shot is now the largest single cause of death of American children, more than transport or any disease. Its astonishing and depressing.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

What is it with double barrelled bigots?

Yaxley-Lennon becomes Posie Parker and Keene-Minshull styles herself as Tommy Robinson (have I got that right?) A change of name doesn't deflect from the bile they spew.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,992
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: markets up on Ladbrokes. Perez is 4 for pole... which may be about right. Car's very good but he's not a qualifying specialist. Last year he was just a tenth off Verstappen, though... hmm.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

As both tweets specifically reference Islam, I think it's not much of a leap to call it islamophobic.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

Heathener said:

kamski said:

Says the person who only ever posts long screeds about how the Tories are going to be mullered at the next election…

Well at least that is more on-topic than droning on about c**** in frocks all day long.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Heathener said:

kamski said:

The Jon Stewart interview of that senator that was linked to a week or so ago now was so telling about that. Being shot is now the largest single cause of death of American children, more than transport or any disease. Its astonishing and depressing.
    I know that my "America isn't civilised" perspective annoys some people. But compared to anywhere bar a handful of lawless states it isn't. Their approach to human life - of their own citizens - is appalling.

It isn't just the guns thing though that is horrendous. The inequality that permiates their country brings it down, which is why life expectancy is now as low as it is and why it ranks so low on so many measures vs other countries. Then they lie to people proclaiming it to be the greatest country in the world. Yeah, right. Its a zoo.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

kamski said:

Who was it said rather acidly that the current Supreme Court considers life begins at conception and ends in a mass shooting?
    Me!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    edited March 2023

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Indeed.

How do I know that

3) Not regularly appeared on shows hosted by people who talk about white genocide.
    I’m an atheist, though not as hardline as Dawkins. I’ll be honest, I think there’s more to criticise or at least comment on Islam than other religions. Women’s dress being an obvious area, though you could add Orthodox Jews into the mix.

Here’s one close to our hearts: football.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12839201/ramadan-match-officials-asked-to-provide-opportunity-for-muslim-players-across-premier-league-and-efl-to-break-fast

Ramadan: Match officials asked to provide opportunity for Muslim players across Premier League and EFL to break fast
    Match officials issued with guidance ahead of holy period of Ramadan and encouraged to find natural pause in play during evening matches to allow any Muslim player or match official to break their fast before resuming the action; Ramadan begins this week and lasts around a month.

A friend who I go to football is a devout Catholic. Playing on Good Friday and Easter Sunday used to be a big no no. But not any more. He won’t be at Anfield with me next Sunday because Church comes first.

We stopped caring about Christianity ages ago. Why are we accommodating other religions?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

And indeed plenty of 'progressives' also fail the Richard Dawkins test - happy to criticise Christians as homophobic, intolerant and anti-women but curiously silent - or indeed supportive of some practices in some cases - when it comes to non-Christian religions, especially Islam.
    We just have to make sure that it is the opinions that are criticised and not because it is part of a religion.

Anyway criticising Cristianity as "homophopbic" and "anti-Women" is naive because very many Christians are pro-LGBT and pro-equal rights.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,056
    eristdoof said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

We just have to make sure that it is the opinions that are criticised and not because it is part of a religion.

Anyway criticising Cristianity as "homophopbic" and "anti-Women" is naive because very many Christians are pro-LGBT and pro-equal rights.
    Indeed, most Protestant denominations have women priests now. Many Anglican and Lutheran churches and the Methodists also bless homosexual couples and unions as indeed does the Roman Catholic Church in Germany now, even if only a handful perform full homosexual marriages.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    tlg86 said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Indeed.

How do I know that

I’m an atheist, though not as hardline as Dawkins. I’ll be honest, I think there’s more to criticise or at least comment on Islam than other religions. Women’s dress being an obvious area, though you could add Orthodox Jews into the mix.

Here’s one close to our hearts: football.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12839201/ramadan-match-officials-asked-to-provide-opportunity-for-muslim-players-across-premier-league-and-efl-to-break-fast

Ramadan: Match officials asked to provide opportunity for Muslim players across Premier League and EFL to break fast
    Match officials issued with guidance ahead of holy period of Ramadan and encouraged to find natural pause in play during evening matches to allow any Muslim player or match official to break their fast before resuming the action; Ramadan begins this week and lasts around a month.

A friend who I go to football is a devout Catholic. Playing on Good Friday and Easter Sunday used to be a big no no. But not any more. He won’t be at Anfield with me next Sunday because Church comes first.

We stopped caring about Christianity ages ago. Why are we accommodating other religions?
    Not all players fast in Ramadan, often doing fast days on alternative dates to match days.

When he played for Leicester Wesley Fofana would fast even on match days, and go to the sidelines for a drink and glucose gel at the first break in play after the fast ending. It doesn't disrupt play.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654

Why oh why would you post that link?

Just to start with it is top and tailed with financial scams.

The interviewer was utterly nasty.

Why do you take pleasure in people losing there jobs?

What was being said might be true, but not sure Lineker will be worried as his contract runs to 2025 so he can carry on giving his views and clearly money isn't an issue.

Finally why on earth are you watching this bile?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,482
    Sandpit said:

What exactly is it about the police, that attracts some of the most screwed-up and violent people to apply?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11908993/Policeman-pushed-pregnant-partner-stairs-convicted-controlling-coercive-behaviour.html

A policeman who pushed his pregnant partner down a flight of stairs because he did not want the baby has been convicted of controlling and coercive behaviour.

“Thomas Gair pushed his pregnant girlfriend Chloe Bradley, also a police officer, down the stairs at their home in Norton, Teesside in May 2020, after three years of ongoing abuse.”

Job involving legal use of violence attracts people attracted to violence?

This discussion has been closed.