Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Sunak carry over his rating recovery into a new week? – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,087
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

Given all the drug taking around and about I'd have thought that laughing gas is just a deckchair move by the govt.

In Israel I've not been following save to see that there are demonstrations in London about it. What has Netanyahu done? Is he saying that the courts can't strike down government legislation? In which case is this something we have touched on previously whereby a democratically-elected government is trying to abolish elections?

As for the demonstrations in London about it it's interesting that these are presumably British Jews vociferously protesting about Israel and hence it is easy to see the complications of trying to separate out Israel and the Jews.

The laughing gas move is a joke, appropriately. Yet again the government overrules the scientists in a populist authoritarian knee-jerk response. For a government that is supposedly so anti cancel culture, they certainly seem to like banning things and telling people what they can and can't do.
    The politicians absolutely should be able to "overrule" scientists. We've just seen what happens when they give into the Cult of the Expert.
    No one's arguing they shouldn't be able to.
    OLB seems to be.

As, indeed, did most of the country in 2020-1.
    Not really. You've simply extrapolated what I have said with respect to one issue, applied it to a different issue, and in addition made out that I've said something I haven't. I didn't say government shouldn't be able to overrule scientific advice, and indeed this isn't my position. I said that in this case they've gone against the advice of their scientists in order to chase tabloid headlines. It's stupid policymaking and will cost the taxpayer more money, further waste police time and gum up the legal system, strengthen criminal gangs and quite possibly kill people.
    I've offered no opinion on lockdown policy but I would say that while scientific advice should be absolutely front and centre during a global pandemic ultimately it is for our political leaders to decide how to proceed. So I don't think I hold the views you're trying to ascribe to me.
    Essentially you're criticising them for weighing up expert advice against what they think will be popular and pluimping for the latter option.

Of course they've done that - they're politicians!
    Good politicians get out in front of public opinion, do what they think will be best for the whole country and try to shape opinion through action and argument. The fact that this government operates as you suggest is why this country is becoming more of a shithole every day.
    Well, never let it be said that you're not an optimist.

By your standards, we have no good politicians. Sir Keir has had, for at least the last year, the perfect opportunity to act as you say a good politician does. Instead, cheered on by his party's supporters, he has deliberately done and said as little as possible, focusing on trying to win the next election by default.

That's fair. He is overly cautious. I didn't vote for him as leader. The Tories need to go but I don't hold out great hopes for the next Labour government, or indeed for the long term future of this country. We seem to be permanently in thrall to ill-informed voters and their worst prejudices, with our politicians never missing an opportunity to make a stupid, short-sighted decision.
    As you might gather, I don't think I am an optimist.
    That's the problem with democracy - ill-informed voters.

There is merit in the Shell, Unilever and other multinationals method. The top management emerge, promoted by their peers. Employees and customers can't vote for them. Though shareholders in theory could remove them, in practice they don't. China has a similar system.
    It competes with democracy. There are pros and cons.
    I still think democracy is the best system both morally and in terms of outcomes, but it needs to be combined with well informed voters and enlightened political leadership to deliver the best results. Right now this country seems to be caught in a downwards spiral of angry, ill informed voters, pandering and opportunistic politicians and stupid policies. It is very depressing.
    Morally - I prefer democracy, but that's the way I've been brought up.
    On outcomes It's not clear that democracy wins:
    Economic GDP

Life expectancy
    China 59 in 1970, 77 now and growing.
    USA 71 in 1970, 79 now and flat.

On gdp per head both the US and Japan are well ahead of China, the Chinese birthrate is also lower even than most western Nations and China has fewer immigrants percentage wise too
    GDP per head is growing much faster in China than US or Japan.
    Birthrate is an odd measure. Is a low birthrate good or bad? Depends on the context.
    Well course it is because it starts from a much lower level.

If you want to grow gdp overall significantly relative to other nations rather than just gdp per capita then you need a well above replacement level birthrate.

Democratic India will likely thus have overtaken China in terms of gdp by 2050 as it has a much higher birthrate. Nigeria is also rapidly advancing up the gdp rankings because of its high birthrate
    What metrics would you use to measure the relative outcomes of democrat nations versus the Chinese (and multinational company) approach?
    Gdp and wealth per head, education levels, personal freedom and liberty
    A mere passing blip, I'm sure.

If we had Chinese levels of repression you would already be in prison for challenging the authority of the UK government on a public forum
    Numbers in jail
    USA 505/100, 000
    China 164/100,000

The fact the US has a better rate of convicting and imprisoning criminals than China doesn't mean it has less political freedom.

You can tweet or write or say what you want about the US government under the First amendment to the US constitution as long as it isn't classified information. In China however you can't criticise Xi or the Chinese government in public without risk of arrest
    In some parts of the US, if you are black you have to careful walking down the street.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,096

Andy_JS said:

Radio 4 talking about the fact that sales of petrol and diesel cars are supposed to end in 7 years. Does anyone believe this will happen at that time?

Yes.
    Radio 4 still goes out on longwave and FM, and people still write cheques.

A direct descendent of Alfred the Great is about to be crowned king.

A small but gallant remnant of people watch ITV, bet on greyhounds and don't have a smartphone.

As to petrol cars, I shall wait and see.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,032
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

Given all the drug taking around and about I'd have thought that laughing gas is just a deckchair move by the govt.

In Israel I've not been following save to see that there are demonstrations in London about it. What has Netanyahu done? Is he saying that the courts can't strike down government legislation? In which case is this something we have touched on previously whereby a democratically-elected government is trying to abolish elections?

As for the demonstrations in London about it it's interesting that these are presumably British Jews vociferously protesting about Israel and hence it is easy to see the complications of trying to separate out Israel and the Jews.

The laughing gas move is a joke, appropriately. Yet again the government overrules the scientists in a populist authoritarian knee-jerk response. For a government that is supposedly so anti cancel culture, they certainly seem to like banning things and telling people what they can and can't do.
    The politicians absolutely should be able to "overrule" scientists. We've just seen what happens when they give into the Cult of the Expert.
    OLB seems to be.

Not really. You've simply extrapolated what I have said with respect to one issue, applied it to a different issue, and in addition made out that I've said something I haven't. I didn't say government shouldn't be able to overrule scientific advice, and indeed this isn't my position. I said that in this case they've gone against the advice of their scientists in order to chase tabloid headlines. It's stupid policymaking and will cost the taxpayer more money, further waste police time and gum up the legal system, strengthen criminal gangs and quite possibly kill people.
    I've offered no opinion on lockdown policy but I would say that while scientific advice should be absolutely front and centre during a global pandemic ultimately it is for our political leaders to decide how to proceed. So I don't think I hold the views you're trying to ascribe to me.
    Essentially you're criticising them for weighing up expert advice against what they think will be popular and pluimping for the latter option.

Good politicians get out in front of public opinion, do what they think will be best for the whole country and try to shape opinion through action and argument. The fact that this government operates as you suggest is why this country is becoming more of a shithole every day.

By your standards, we have no good politicians. Sir Keir has had, for at least the last year, the perfect opportunity to act as you say a good politician does. Instead, cheered on by his party's supporters, he has deliberately done and said as little as possible, focusing on trying to win the next election by default.

That's fair. He is overly cautious. I didn't vote for him as leader. The Tories need to go but I don't hold out great hopes for the next Labour government, or indeed for the long term future of this country. We seem to be permanently in thrall to ill-informed voters and their worst prejudices, with our politicians never missing an opportunity to make a stupid, short-sighted decision.

There is merit in the Shell, Unilever and other multinationals method. The top management emerge, promoted by their peers. Employees and customers can't vote for them. Though shareholders in theory could remove them, in practice they don't. China has a similar system.
    I still think democracy is the best system both morally and in terms of outcomes, but it needs to be combined with well informed voters and enlightened political leadership to deliver the best results. Right now this country seems to be caught in a downwards spiral of angry, ill informed voters, pandering and opportunistic politicians and stupid policies. It is very depressing.
    Economic GDP

Life expectancy

On gdp per head both the US and Japan are well ahead of China, the Chinese birthrate is also lower even than most western Nations and China has fewer immigrants percentage wise too
    Birthrate is an odd measure. Is a low birthrate good or bad? Depends on the context.

If you want to grow gdp overall significantly relative to other nations rather than just gdp per capita then you need a well above replacement level birthrate.

Democratic India will likely thus have overtaken China in terms of gdp by 2050 as it has a much higher birthrate. Nigeria is also rapidly advancing up the gdp rankings because of its high birthrate
    What metrics would you use to measure the relative outcomes of democrat nations versus the Chinese (and multinational company) approach?
    Gdp and wealth per head, education levels, personal freedom and liberty
    A mere passing blip, I'm sure.

If we had Chinese levels of repression you would already be in prison for challenging the authority of the UK government on a public forum
    Numbers in jail
    USA 505/100, 000
    China 164/100,000

The fact the US has a better rate of convicting and imprisoning criminals than China doesn't mean it has less political freedom.

You can tweet or write or say what you want about the US government under the First amendment to the US constitution as long as it isn't classified information. In China however you can't criticise Xi or the Chinese government in public without risk of arrest
    Not sure you can dismiss the fact that around 20% of all the world's prisoners are in prison in the "Land of the Free" as being due to 'a better rate of convicting and imprisoning criminals'.
    Why? They were all convicted in US or state courts of breaking Federal or State law.

None would have been convicted for criticising President Biden or the US government however due to the First Amendment of the US constitution
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

Andy_JS said:

Radio 4 talking about the fact that sales of petrol and diesel cars are supposed to end in 7 years. Does anyone believe this will happen at that time?

Yes.
    As someone who works for a company that installs electric car charge points I think there is absolutely no chance of that happening. At the current rate of new installs it will take until the year 3000 before we have enough to get rid of petrol and diesel.
    The other thing to note it is not just EV chargers, the electricity suppliers will have to massively upgrade their network to be able to provide the huge increase in electricity required to provide the energy to charge everyone vehicles. There is no sign of that happening.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Jonathan said:

If Corbyn stands as an independent, he will be a focus of the short campaign. Who does that benefit?

Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,365
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

A small but gallant remnant of people watch ITV, bet on greyhounds and don't have a smartphone.

I'm pretty sure it would be very hard to find someone who isn't a direct descendant of Alfred the Great to crown as king.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,931
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

A family of traitors, abolish the monarchy now.

Duke of Windsor ‘gave palace layout to Nazis before bombing

[Alexander Larman, whose books on the royal family between the wars outline the duke’s wartime assistance to Germany] told the festival that the Duke of Windsor, who abdicated in 1936 over his love for Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee , said he had provided “inside information” on the layout of Buckingham Palace. The Nazis bombed the palace in 1940 with several bombs hitting “family quarters”.

Larman said there was no doubt that the duke was a Nazi sympathiser and that it looked as if he had provided information to them. “The Nazis knew what they were doing and that was because they had inside information [from the duke],” Larman said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/duke-of-windsor-gave-palace-layout-to-nazis-before-bombing-zbdh0c9qr

You do realise the Duke of Windsor had no children and none of the current royal family are descended from him?

You do also realise if he had succeeded the King’s grandfather would have been blown up by the Nazis as George VI unlike his brother stayed in London with Churchill and defied Hitler
    YOu do realise that Mr Simpson was as closely related to KCIII as King George V [edit] was?
    No the Duke of Windsor was more closely related to George V than KCIII as he was his father not his great grandfather.

However KCIII's grandfather was George VI not Edward VIII
    You're misreading: what I am saying is that the DoW is as closely related to KCIII as KGV is to KCIII.

Doesn't matter if one is in the direct line or not - they share the same percentage of genetics in common.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,905

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    As someone who works for a company that installs electric car charge points I think there is absolutely no chance of that happening. At the current rate of new installs it will take until the year 3000 before we have enough to get rid of petrol and diesel.
    Presumably it is just sales of NEW petrol and diesel cars? i.e. the second hand market will continue for some time after? And as the second hand market accounts for, what, 90% of car sales, a target of 2030 isn't actually that onerous?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,896

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:
    I genuinely never thought Starmer would hold the line on Corbyn this much. If Corbyn were not so stubborn Starmer would never have had the opportunity.
    Corbyn seems to want to martyr himself. He really does only have himself to blame. I bet SKS cannot believe his luck.
    Is it worth a fiver on the Tories and Lib Dems to win Islington North, if Corbyn stands as an independent against the official Labour candidate?
    I don’t know the area but possibly more likely to be Corbyn himself.
    I lived there for a good while and canvassed in local elections. Corbyn has a big personal vote (people who weren't voting Labour in the locals often said spontaneously that they'd be voting for him), reinforced by the fact that many voters quite like the "maverick independent fearlessly saying what he thinks" idea. I'd think he'll start as favourite if he stands but if Labour wins big nationally that may carry Islington North too. What the Greens do may be important as they have a significant local presence (they are the only non-Labour party with any local councillors at all!) - they might be best-advised strategically to endorse him (I'm sure they'd love him to defect, but doubt if he will), but their history is to stand everywhere. I don't think the Tories or LibDems have any real chance in the constituency.
    You'll know better than me, but I'd have thought that Corbyn would be very, very reluctant to stand against an official Labour Party candidate. Isn't he more the sort of chap who stays loyal to Labour, thinking that in due course his more left-wing views will hold sway again?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,654

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    No... far too many problems of charging facilities and I doubt the infrastructure will be able to cope. That's my reasoning anyway.
    Yep, there are loads of infrastructure issues that most PBers - as generally better-off and middle-class oiks - tend not to notice. ;)

I mean, I've got off-road parking. How are all the plebs who park on the roads outside their houses supposed to charge their cars, whilst still allowing unhindered access across pavements? And that's just one issue.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,481

Heathener said:

I do have a fear, which is all-too-depressing, that the anti-woke culture wars will stir up a sufficient number of the indignant right to stop a colossal Labour victory. The fact that people endlessly bang on about a pointless sideshow narrative (trans rights), as evidenced on here by carlotta and his stuck needle, is depressing.

However, I suspect that come the General Election proper, the trans issue will burn brightly for a couple of days as the Daily Malicious vents its spleen and then will pass.

Most people will realise that we had all of this nonsense, and exactly the same arguments, with gay rights 40 years ago and that there are FAR more pressing and important matters that we face than whether Steve in the neighbouring town wishes to self-identify as Susan. (I didn't put 'Steve next door' because most people don't have a trans neighbour and never will).

As you were.

Scotland is a good tester for this theory. I kept pointing out that the row over the GRR bill was largely irrelevant as nobody who wasn't shouting cared about it. IRRELEVANT??? they screamed.

And then came the polling. Putting GRR third bottom on the list of voters' concerns. Not an issue for an electorate who (shockingly) care about jobs services and prosperity, not gender ID issues.

For the handful of mouthfoamers who are obsessed by fear it is THE issue. For almost everyone else it is a non-issue politically.
    Except voters saw it as the SNP ‘s second top priority second only to independence. Who were the mouth foamers?
    You have made the point for me. The polls showed that voters thought it was the SNP's 2nd top priority. For *the voters* it was their 3rd bottom priority.

Voters do not care about this issue. As demonstrated by the polls The SNP went way off piste and if they elect Forbes today the issue gets quickly dropped. Or if they elect Yousaf it gets slowly dropped.

Either way, voters do not care. It is a non-issue for them.
    It’s only a non issue if politicians don’t make it one - as the SNP did. Ironically voters while in general support making change of gender easier, they oppose most of the changes that would make it so.
    Do you understand how politics works? A party could go out and Make A Stand on an issue. Save the Pound! said William Hague, you MUST be worried about this because I say you are so you must Vote Conservative to Save the Pound!

Nobody cared. Non-issue, didn't move the polls at all. Politicians can make anything they like into an issue, but if it doesn't motivate people to vote, politically its a non-issue. Voters say what they are concerned about and politicians act accordingly, not the other way round.

No matter how many times a politician might ask "Are you thinking what we're thinking" when the answer is "no" they are sunk. Almost nobody in Scotland is thinking as the SNP were on this issue. They just don't care about it, and wish the government would focus on actual issues.
    I expect as the only party that (mostly) opposed the GRR bill that the SCons will be experiencing a real surge in the polls.
    Given SNP have lost 30,000 it sounds like they were not in sync with their members viewpoints. Ignoring them completely , telling them they were stupid and Stonewall knew better was not a winning choice.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,425

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I do have a fear, which is all-too-depressing, that the anti-woke culture wars will stir up a sufficient number of the indignant right to stop a colossal Labour victory. The fact that people endlessly bang on about a pointless sideshow narrative (trans rights), as evidenced on here by carlotta and his stuck needle, is depressing.

However, I suspect that come the General Election proper, the trans issue will burn brightly for a couple of days as the Daily Malicious vents its spleen and then will pass.

Most people will realise that we had all of this nonsense, and exactly the same arguments, with gay rights 40 years ago and that there are FAR more pressing and important matters that we face than whether Steve in the neighbouring town wishes to self-identify as Susan. (I didn't put 'Steve next door' because most people don't have a trans neighbour and never will).

As you were.

Scotland is a good tester for this theory. I kept pointing out that the row over the GRR bill was largely irrelevant as nobody who wasn't shouting cared about it. IRRELEVANT??? they screamed.

And then came the polling. Putting GRR third bottom on the list of voters' concerns. Not an issue for an electorate who (shockingly) care about jobs services and prosperity, not gender ID issues.

For the handful of mouthfoamers who are obsessed by fear it is THE issue. For almost everyone else it is a non-issue politically.
    Except voters saw it as the SNP ‘s second top priority second only to independence. Who were the mouth foamers?
    You have made the point for me. The polls showed that voters thought it was the SNP's 2nd top priority. For *the voters* it was their 3rd bottom priority.

Voters do not care about this issue. As demonstrated by the polls The SNP went way off piste and if they elect Forbes today the issue gets quickly dropped. Or if they elect Yousaf it gets slowly dropped.

It’s only a non issue if politicians don’t make it one - as the SNP did. Ironically voters while in general support making change of gender easier, they oppose most of the changes that would make it so.
    Do you understand how politics works? A party could go out and Make A Stand on an issue. Save the Pound! said William Hague, you MUST be worried about this because I say you are so you must Vote Conservative to Save the Pound!

Nobody cared. Non-issue, didn't move the polls at all. Politicians can make anything they like into an issue, but if it doesn't motivate people to vote, politically its a non-issue. Voters say what they are concerned about and politicians act accordingly, not the other way round.

No matter how many times a politician might ask "Are you thinking what we're thinking" when the answer is "no" they are sunk. Almost nobody in Scotland is thinking as the SNP were on this issue. They just don't care about it, and wish the government would focus on actual issues.
    I expect as the only party that (mostly) opposed the GRR bill that the SCons will be experiencing a real surge in the polls.
    Why? Voters don't care about that issue. They care about jobs and education and prosperity - so won't be voting Tory because not stupid.

And besides which, the Tories were so split that DRoss had to grant a free vote.
    The GRR Bill is in reality the reason Sturgeon had to resign as FM and may be replaced in that role by the much more socially conservative Kate Forbes this afternoon
    Why don’t you believe what Sturgeon said? Seemed perfectly reasonable to me. One does reach a point in life, where one has just had enough of a particular activity.
    More to the point, people had had enough of her... when she screwed up over her ludicrous stance on Gender recognition.. she knew she was done for. At least she had the decency to go quickly unlike Gordon McDoom
    I'm at a loss as to what it might be, but perhaps you should choose a subject to opine upon about which you have a smidgeon of a clue?

Sure 30,000 loss of of membership deceit thereof. Those favourabulity numbers would have crashed and she went before they did. Everyone in.politics reaches a point went it is time to go and hers was up... especially after her ludicrous stand on gender recognition.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

[Alexander Larman, whose books on the royal family between the wars outline the duke’s wartime assistance to Germany] told the festival that the Duke of Windsor, who abdicated in 1936 over his love for Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee , said he had provided “inside information” on the layout of Buckingham Palace. The Nazis bombed the palace in 1940 with several bombs hitting “family quarters”.

Larman said there was no doubt that the duke was a Nazi sympathiser and that it looked as if he had provided information to them. “The Nazis knew what they were doing and that was because they had inside information [from the duke],” Larman said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/duke-of-windsor-gave-palace-layout-to-nazis-before-bombing-zbdh0c9qr

You do realise the Duke of Windsor had no children and none of the current royal family are descended from him?

You do also realise if he had succeeded the King’s grandfather would have been blown up by the Nazis as George VI unlike his brother stayed in London with Churchill and defied Hitler
    YOu do realise that Mr Simpson was as closely related to KCIII as King George V [edit] was?
    No the Duke of Windsor was more closely related to George V than KCIII as he was his father not his great grandfather.

You're misreading: what I am saying is that the DoW is as closely related to KCIII as KGV is to KCIII.

Doesn't matter if one is in the direct line or not - they share the same percentage of genetics in common.
    No he isn't either, the bloodline to your great grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle.

In order of succession
    Edward VIII as the elder brother would have ensured George VI would never be King and his grandchild not George VIs would now be monarch. However Edward VIII had to abdicate with Parliament's approval, he had no children and the grandson of the King he helped the Nazis try and kill in Buckingham Palace is now King instead.

So TSE's point is completely irrelevant to the current King and heir
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

Gordon Bennett.

The plan is to stop the sale of NEW petrol and diesel cars.

Existing ones will still be on the road and you will be able to buy them.

Given how newish cars tend to last, we'll see petrol cars on the roads for a couple of decades yet.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,875
    edited March 2023

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    No... far too many problems of charging facilities and I doubt the infrastructure will be able to cope. That's my reasoning anyway.
    It only applies to new sales though, so I do expect it to eventually happen, though I do think they’ll push back the implementation by a few years.

There is nowhere near the infrastructure to cope at present though and we need some radical initiatives. I am still waiting to hear how everyone living in a terrace is meant to charge their vehicles.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

No he isn't either, the bloodline to your great grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle
    Is that HYUFDomathics again? Because it is flat wrong.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212170668-Average-Percent-DNA-Shared-Between-Relatives
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    How can you ensure that your EV doesn't use fossil fuels given that the power you use to charge it is from the grid
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,125
    In addition, if there's a power cut then that would also mean you can't recharge your car.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,669

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    Yep, there are loads of infrastructure issues that most PBers - as generally better-off and middle-class oiks - tend not to notice. ;)

I mean, I've got off-road parking. How are all the plebs who park on the roads outside their houses supposed to charge their cars, whilst still allowing unhindered access across pavements? And that's just one issue.
    Apparently (from engineer friend) the circuit that the street lights operate from has enough capacity. He was working on a project so that you could plug your car straight into the kerb.

The easiest solution, as with pretty much all problems across the UK, is the humble pedal cycle - Scotland's greatest invention?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 855
    Conservatives certainly done well the last couple of weeks in local by elections, if they hold off the LIb Dems at Gloucester Westgate on Thursday that will be confirmation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

No he isn't either, the bloodline to your great grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle.

In order of succession
    Edward VIII as the elder brother would have ensured George VI would never be King and his grandchild not George VIs would now be monarch. However Edward VIII had to abdicate with Parliament's approval, he had no children and the grandson of the King he helped the Nazis try and kill in Buckingham Palace is now King instead.

He still had divine right and succeeded by divine right. Which leaves your point even less relevant.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

How can you ensure that your EV doesn't use fossil fuels given that the power you use to charge it is from the grid

You get a green offset tariff, Ovo also do a really good one for EVs for overnight charging that works out at about 30% of the standard unit cost.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

No he isn't either, the bloodline to your great grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212170668-Average-Percent-DNA-Shared-Between-Relatives
    Even if so the King shares 25% DNA with King George VI who the Duke of Windsor helped the Nazis to try and blow up, only 12.5% with the Duke of Windsor
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

Apparently (from engineer friend) the circuit that the street lights operate from has enough capacity. He was working on a project so that you could plug your car straight into the kerb.

The easiest solution, as with pretty much all problems across the UK, is the humble pedal cycle - Scotland's greatest invention?
    *Bring Back the Bennie Railplane*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

As you were.

Why? Voters don't care about that issue. They care about jobs and education and prosperity - so won't be voting Tory because not stupid.

And besides which, the Tories were so split that DRoss had to grant a free vote.
    The GRR Bill is in reality the reason Sturgeon had to resign as FM and may be replaced in that role by the much more socially conservative Kate Forbes this afternoon
    You are talking mince.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Even if so the King shares 25% DNA with King George VI who the Duke of Windsor helped the Nazis to blow up, only 12.5% with the Duke of Windsor
    But that's not what you said. You flat out claimed that "the bloodline to your great grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle". Suddenly saying "the bloodline to your grandfather is stronger than to your great uncle" doesn't make your earlier statement, expressed with total conviction, any less than totally wrong.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

As you were.

You are talking mince.
    Now, now, Malky. Don't be rude to the nice meat.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

*Bring Back the Bennie Railplane*
    Wow! I'd never heard of that. 2nd greatest.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,179
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Afghan pilot who served with British forces facing deportation to Rwanda
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1640295651459121154

That's an AC-208 he's flying which were delivered to Afghanistan in 2019. British combat forces were finally run out of Helmand in 2014 so he's chatting shit.
    Who knows - it's possible he flew other stuff.
    Source here:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/afghan-pilot-small-boat-deportation-rwanda-b2307456.html
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In order of succession

He still had divine right and succeeded by divine right. Which leaves your point even less relevant.
    No it doesn't, Edward VIII had to abdicate. Parliament still has the final say in confirming the line of succession under the 1701 Act of Settlement
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    Presumably it is just sales of NEW petrol and diesel cars? i.e. the second hand market will continue for some time after? And as the second hand market accounts for, what, 90% of car sales, a target of 2030 isn't actually that onerous?
    I imagine so as I think it will be 2050 or later before the sale of petrol and diesel is banned.

We work at Army bases and are quoting for rewires all the time. There are literally 1000s of cars at these bases and there is not a single EV charger and for all the new electrical work that I have seen they are not even looking to install one. This is Governement funded work and it would be easy to add EV chargers to rewires of buildings, yet it is not happening.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2023
    I wonder if Sunak will pivot to a less culture war, more liberal style of governing, after the locals?

Reshuffle out the useful idiots that he had little choice to keep/promote, when he took over - and put in some more competent allies in preparation for the GE campaign.

He’s earned himself some political capital. Will he use it?

Or maybe he really is a dickhead right winger and believes in this shite.

What does PB think?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Andy_JS said:

Nope! The EU are discussing 2035 as a deadline for the same, they thought everyone had agreed to it, then for some reason the Germans and Italians objected.

Technology will work itself out over time, legislators trying to push things before they’re ready will simply alienate people.

In the meantime, I’m speed-running my way through as many desirable but cheap cars as possible, while I still can, and drawing up a short list of what will be the last couple of cars I keep forever. Right now, the favourites are a Porsche Cayman GT4, and a V12 S-Class.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,179
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/27/twitter-legal-source-code-leaked-elon-musk-github
    ...GitHub has been contacted for comment. A request for comment from Twitter’s press office was met with an automated reply containing a poo emoji, a new policy announced by Musk this month...
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In order of succession

No it doesn't, since the civil war and glorious revolution we have monarchs appointed by divine right and approval of Parliament.

Hence the King only formally became King and head of state last year after the Accession Council of leading Parliamentarians approved it
    Parliament is a sort of antiquated HR system for Mr/Mrs Divine Right.

(And the Accession council wasn't just attended by parliamentarians. Not even just Privy councillors - a whole bunch there hadn't a single vote to their name).
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In order of succession

No it doesn't, Edward VIII had to abdicate. Parliament still has the final say in confirming the line of succession under the 1701 Act of Settlement
    If Edward VIII had stayed King anyway he would hardly have helped the Nazis bomb his main residence would he!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,134
    Jonathan said:

If Corbyn stands as an independent, he will be a focus of the short campaign. Who does that benefit?

Except when he was Labour leader Corbyn has always been an independent MP. He has never felt obliged to follow the Labour whip from the backbenches - and it's not as if he will vote with the Tories against a Labour budget or anything like that. The downside of Corbyn holding Islington North as an actual independent is far outweighed by all the toxic people Labour can expel when they campaign for or back him.

• Options
    1 hour to go!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

PHEV sales will continue until 2035 and you won't be able to buy a mass market car that isn't a BEV or PHEV in 2030 so, yes.

There will still be those gammony arseholes who will refuse, with great ostentation, to buy one because they won't tow a horsebox from Falmouth to Thurso without stopping or something.
    And damn right we should be able to do what we like. I thought you were supposed to be a petrolhead anarchist?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,683
    More freedom news!

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

As a younger and more reckless man I was fond of bypassing the meter in my parents' house for such high amperage larks as melting spanners with a home made transformer. I recall that at about 110A draw the street lights would flicker. As BEVs charge at 100A+ I don't see how the street light infrastructure could support mass charging but maybe it's all upgraded now.

I don't know how I am alive either.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,875
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

The project your friend is working on sounds great. If the government are wanting people to really make the change and shift to EV though, this is the sort of stuff that needs to be going into roads up and down the country right now.

I think we’ll get there in time. But the resource and logistics needed to upgrade all our infrastructure just isn’t there right now.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,134

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:
    I genuinely never thought Starmer would hold the line on Corbyn this much. If Corbyn were not so stubborn Starmer would never have had the opportunity.
    Corbyn seems to want to martyr himself. He really does only have himself to blame. I bet SKS cannot believe his luck.
    Is it worth a fiver on the Tories and Lib Dems to win Islington North, if Corbyn stands as an independent against the official Labour candidate?
    I lived there for a good while and canvassed in local elections. Corbyn has a big personal vote (people who weren't voting Labour in the locals often said spontaneously that they'd be voting for him), reinforced by the fact that many voters quite like the "maverick independent fearlessly saying what he thinks" idea. I'd think he'll start as favourite if he stands but if Labour wins big nationally that may carry Islington North too. What the Greens do may be important as they have a significant local presence (they are the only non-Labour party with any local councillors at all!) - they might be best-advised strategically to endorse him (I'm sure they'd love him to defect, but doubt if he will), but their history is to stand everywhere. I don't think the Tories or LibDems have any real chance in the constituency.

I don't think there's much evidence of a significant personal vote for Corbyn. Islington North's Labour results since he became MP have pretty much mirrored those in other Labour seats in the surrounding constituencies. In fact, in terms of vote percentage, Labour did worse in Islington North in 2019 than it did in much of the rest of London.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,549

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

At a filling station, much as you do now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,549
    Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

As a younger and more reckless man I was fond of bypassing the meter in my parents' house for such high amperage larks as melting spanners with a home made transformer. I recall that at about 110A draw the street lights would flicker. As BEVs charge at 100A+ I don't see how the street light infrastructure could support mass charging but maybe it's all upgraded now.

I don't know how I am alive either.
    100A would be fast charging. If you plugging in for an overnight charge, 20A is quite a lot.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Of course those percentages depend on a lack of inbreeding - so not very reliable for royals!
  • Options
    God bless these wonderful Essex people.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Suella Braverman were heckled and told to "go away" during a short walkabout in an Essex town centre.

The pair started walking down Chelmsford high street just before 9am on Monday, joined by three local police officers.

The street was quiet and they did not stop to chat to any of the small number of people out and about or go into any shops.

One woman shouted "allow migrants into our country" and "refugees should be allowed in Britain".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/27/rishi-sunak-suella-braverman-heckled-walkabout-chelmsford-essex/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,829
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

PHEV sales will continue until 2035 and you won't be able to buy a mass market car that isn't a BEV or PHEV in 2030 so, yes.

There will still be those gammony arseholes who will refuse, with great ostentation, to buy one because they won't tow a horsebox from Falmouth to Thurso without stopping or something.
    I'm picturing a bomber jacket and driving gloves.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/27/twitter-legal-source-code-leaked-elon-musk-github
    ...GitHub has been contacted for comment. A request for comment from Twitter’s press office was met with an automated reply containing a poo emoji, a new policy announced by Musk this month...

Sounds like some disgruntled employee stole a bunch of source code. They’d better be *really* good at hiding their tracks.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,427
    edited March 2023
    ping said:

I wonder if Sunak will pivot to a less culture war, more liberal style of governing, after the locals?

Reshuffle out the useful idiots that he had little choice to keep/promote, when he took over - and put in some more competent allies in preparation for the GE campaign.

What does PB think?

He's a dickhead, he's just a liar like Boris Johnson. He should be investigated for misleading the Commons.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/25/sunak-used-incorrect-asylum-backlog-figures-statistics-watchdog-says
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,683
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In order of succession

If Edward VIII had stayed King anyway he would hardly have helped the Nazis bomb his main residence would he!
    They wouldn't have had to!

'His Royal Highness welcomes Herr Hitler at the start of his state visit to mark the signing of the Halifax-Ribbentrop non-agression pact.'
  • Options

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Suella Braverman were heckled and told to "go away" during a short walkabout in an Essex town centre.

The pair started walking down Chelmsford high street just before 9am on Monday, joined by three local police officers.

The street was quiet and they did not stop to chat to any of the small number of people out and about or go into any shops.

One woman shouted "allow migrants into our country" and "refugees should be allowed in Britain".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/27/rishi-sunak-suella-braverman-heckled-walkabout-chelmsford-essex/

Chelmsford of course has a Liberal Democrat controlled council now
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

My local supermarkets have charging points.

Get my vehicles charged whilst I shop.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Is it not convention that Ministers inform local politicians in advance, when they’re going to turn up in their patch? In which case, the hecklers are likely to be activists from other parties.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kamski said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Of course those percentages depend on a lack of inbreeding - so not very reliable for royals!
    Sure, but that could work either way, and they can't be far off.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,427
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Is it not convention that Ministers inform local politicians in advance, when they’re going to turn up in their patch? In which case, the hecklers are likely to be activists from other parties.
    They only inform MPs.

Edit - In England.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

OLB seems to be.

Economic GDP

Life expectancy

Will India still be democratic by 2050?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    Betfair suggesting result has not leaked.

Bounced around a bit just before 1pm but now settled at:

Yousaf 1.34
    Forbes 3.45
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Nope! The EU are discussing 2035 as a deadline for the same, they thought everyone had agreed to it, then for some reason the Germans and Italians objected.

Technology will work itself out over time, legislators trying to push things before they’re ready will simply alienate people.

In the meantime, I’m speed-running my way through as many desirable but cheap cars as possible, while I still can, and drawing up a short list of what will be the last couple of cars I keep forever. Right now, the favourites are a Porsche Cayman GT4, and a V12 S-Class.
    GT4s aren't exactly cheap and are terrible road cars. W220 S-Class with the NA 6.3 V12 can be had for crack money once the air bags go on them. W204 C63 is a better ownership proposition and future classic. Also E90 M3 which are starting to get scarce.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

At the moment I can get 500+ miles range in ~5 minutes. Is an EV ever going to match that speed of charging?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kamski said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Sure, but that could work either way, and they can't be far off.
    Not sure I've understood you: if you're parents are cousins and share some grandparents, you are going to have a higher percentage of shared DNA with those grandparents than shown in the 23andme chart, right?

I'm not sure how it could work the other way?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,829
    ping said:

What does PB think?

I don't think he can risk dropping the culture war 'shite'. There's too much appetite for it in battleground seats.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

GT4s aren't exactly cheap and are terrible road cars. W220 S-Class with the NA 6.3 V12 can be had for crack money once the air bags go on them. W204 C63 is a better ownership proposition and future classic. Also E90 M3 which are starting to get scarce.
    W204 C63 is my current 3rd choice, but they’re going up already. The 507 Wagon, which is the one you’d want, is a £50k car. That engine though. Everyone should have an M156 6.2 V8 at some point in their life.

I’d get a leggy 981 GT4, and send it to DeMan in New York for the 4.5l upgrade.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Flurry of final bets on Kate Forbes? Odds have roughly halved in last hour or so.. and Humza Yousaf has gone from 1/9 to 2/5

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1640326791335165952?s=20
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,053

Not if Cruella Braverman gets her away. Sunak really needs to fire the disgraced national security risk.

Suella Braverman is accused of secretly backing a backbench rebellion against her own Illegal Migration Bill to push Downing Street into toughening up measures to tackle the small boats crisis.

Senior government sources said the home secretary was a “sock puppet” under the influence of Tory hardliners who believe that Rishi Sunak has not gone far enough to clamp down on Channel crossings.

They said Braverman was trying to use Tory rebels to force No 10 into hardening up the bill, which arrives back in the Commons on Monday.

The rebels, believed to number about 50, have tabled a series of amendments. These would allow ministers to ignore initial rulings from European human rights judges, bar migrants from using any aspect of Britain’s domestic human rights laws to avoid deportation and further restrict their power to lodge legal appeals.

The Times understands that after talks with Braverman at the weekend the rebels have agreed not to push the amendments to a vote this week in return for a promise that the government will consider their concerns before the bill becomes law.

Some figures in government believe Braverman supports the amendments and is using the rebels to put pressure on Downing Street.

“She wants to use it to spook us to offer concessions to get them to drop their amendments because a big rebellion would be embarrassing,” a source said. “She has basically become a sock puppet for the right.”

Several sources confirmed that Braverman had tried to persuade Downing Street to toughen up the bill before it was published this month.

She was overruled by the prime minister, who feared that her plans would prompt an immediate and unnecessary confrontation with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and make it harder to get the bill through the House of Lords.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/suella-braverman-fuelling-rebellion-against-her-own-migrant-bill-s8bgrzb7b

The briefings from Sunak's team to the Times about Tory MPs, and now even members of his own Government are utterly pathetic, and since he seems to have made no attempt to get those flapping their gums to stfu, it seems this is the way he wants to run things.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

At the moment I can get 500+ miles range in ~5 minutes. Is an EV ever going to match that speed of charging?
    At the moment my EV can get fully charged as I sleep. Will a fossil car ever match that speed of charging?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,526
    The battle between Spring and Winter in Tallinn is in full spate, with yesterday´s cool mist being replaced with a blizzard of wet snow. The weather in Kyiv is warmer and wetter, Spring is coming, uncertainly perhaps, but inevitably. When the season of mud is over then, equally inevitably, the Ukrainian counter-offensive will follow. The ZSU are preparing their logistics methodically and the steady flow of NATO standard equipment is equipping more and more brigades and increasingly divisions. Meanwhile Russia is forced to delve ever deeper into its stores for ever less effective equipment. The failure of the Russian offensive is not total, for it has certainly damaged the offensive capability of the Ukrainians in the Bakhmut sector, but the public disassociation of Wagner from Bakhmut and the announcement of more missions in central Africa reflects the fact the the Russian activity in the area is falling. It is falling because, whatever the costs to Ukraine, the costs to Russia were at least four times higher. The Russians know the counter-offensive is coming, but they do not know where or when, and for the time being, given the weather, neither do the Ukrainians. The costs of the battle of Bakhmut were increasing the risk of a Ukrainian breach of the line leading to a rout of Russian forces. The Russians broke off the battle to reduce these risks.

Nevertheless the ZSU remains cautious. When the counter-attack comes it needs to be decisive, and thus the high command prefers to wait until they have the kit and the newly trained personnel back on the line. Rumours of combined arms exercises in Poland may not be wide of the mark, and the reinforcement of the air force could not come at a better time.

In Tallinn the new coalition should be announced shortly and the new government is committed, no less than the old, to the support of Ukraine. Yet the mood has changed slightly. The Estonians are now telegraphing concern about the situation in Russia. The expectation is that a successful Ukrainian counter-offensive will cause major changes in the Kremlin, and although the Estonians are clearly in favour of this, there is also the recognition that NATO, and in particular the front line states, will need to be prepared for possible upheaval in Russia.

As the spring storms continue, we watch for the defeat of Russia like we watch for the end of Winter... we are resigned to the bad weather, but still we hope for better days ahead.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It doesn't matter if it does because it is still more efficient, in both energy and emissions, to use grid electricity than it is to burn the hydrocarbons at micro scale in your car. Also, the energy consumed by your BEV will become less emissions intensive over time as generation technology improves.
    How does the initial CO2 etc used to manufacture compare, mining all the crap for batteries, scrapping , etc
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

Except it takes five minutes max to fill up with those lovely gushing hydrocarbons. How much does a car charge in five minutes? And if it takes longer, how many more chargers are required?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes.

My local supermarkets have charging points.

Get my vehicles charged whilst I shop.
    How long do you spend at the supermarket? !!!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,395

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:
    You'll know better than me, but I'd have thought that Corbyn would be very, very reluctant to stand against an official Labour Party candidate. Isn't he more the sort of chap who stays loyal to Labour, thinking that in due course his more left-wing views will hold sway again?
    I don't know his current thinking. I agree that he might feel that for the reasons you say, but for age reasons it's probably now or never, and I think he may fancy being a lefty gadfly. He won't want to undermine the general effort, though, so may give it a pass.
This discussion has been closed.