Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the papers are reporting BoJo’s big day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If he praised Johnson would he get your vote back?
    No

SKS is quoting from Thatcher's 1975 speech to the Tory Party in which she condemns the Shrewsbury 24 (later exonerated on 2010s), a Labour council refusing to raise rents on social housing & praises the British Army following the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972

So perfectly normal stuff from a Labour leader
    'She was right about that' implies she was wrong about everything else.

Or do you think he ought not to seriously mess with Tory heads by pointing out they're so useless they can't even get the vaguely useful parts of Thatcherism right?
    What I think is irrelevant as there is zero chance i will vote for him anyway.

SKS peaked a few weeks ago its all downhill from here.
    Please explain.

Labour lead up 7 to 26 in this week’s YouGov published just now in The Times Red Box.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

My reckoning it is people love Starmer's pension arrangements.
    How many people actually have a dedicated law for their personal pension arrangements?
    Every DPP that there's been in recent times?
    Why is it necessary?
    Because a DPP needs to be an eminent KC.

Eminent KCs can earn a lot more in the private sector, to make it attractive to attract the best you give them perks.

Same principle applies to the judiciary.
    “Can earn a lot more in the private sector” is true of many who get told to suck it up.

I trust you have never criticised a single public servant’s salary where there’s a higher paid private sector comparator or just a marker for their skills, or else this would come across as you just being a paid up member of the lawyer’s union.
    Nope*

My father was a public sector employee until his retirement.

As was his father.

*Except council leaders who earn more than the PM.
    Fair enough - to the extent there’s an implied criticism I withdraw it and apologise.

Though we could have a separate argument on the second point telling us more about how low the PM’s salary is. Not for the PM’s sake (they get to make millions later) but because it becomes a crap reference point.

Edit - that first bit sounds like weasel words and wasn’t meant to. I just apologise.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    edit
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,499
    Yes, Florida has had problems with corruption, including vote fraud.

For example:
    '[Miami Mayor Xavier Suarez] decided not to run again in 1993 in order to spend more time with his family. He returned to practice law in Miami before he decided to run again in November 1997 and was re-elected. However, on March 5 of the following year, Suarez was effectively removed from office on account of voting fraud.[7] While Suarez was not personally implicated, the prosecuting circuit court judge cited the district as ''the center of a massive, well-conceived and well-orchestrated absentee ballot voter fraud scheme.'' People working for Suarez's campaign were found forging voter signatures, including at least one of a dead citizen.[8]'

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Suarez

As I recall, there were enough fraudulent votes to tip the election in Suarez's favor.

There were similar problems in the two counties north of Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, at about the same time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

Nigelb said:

It’s 2025! and we are washing up, with benefit of hindsight, what happened in 2024 election and why. What did we miss?

Did the 1992 scenario repeated in 2024 simply boil down to Tory’s having a lot more money to spend on it than Labour?

When do you actually start general election campaign expenditure, and campaigning - about six weeks to go?

From early 2023 the Tories were clearly up and running with the stronger election unit - aggressive, busy, working effectively together with mainstream media, getting results, whilst Labour’s was non existent until the bill boards appeared about five weeks to go, followed by the now “notorious” mass balloon release.

So it wasn’t how clever for Tories to sack, disown and politically bury Boris, to already give the voters a government change before the election what won it, as much as it now appears it utterly negated Labours “time for change” campaign - that Sunak was thought of on election day as The NHS. The economy. Stability. Fairness, equality, good, honesty. Reducing immigration. Lower taxes. Helping the country/people. A better Britain. The poor. Hope. whilst Starmer and Labour thought of as Wokeness, higher taxes, Dishonesty, Chaos, Disaster, greed, Bad Money, was actually perceptions engineered, fake and created, cultivated over a long period of time, spending lots of money on it.

And we should have realised this in advance, from those early 2023 heat maps. 🤷‍♀️

You appear not to realise that the frequency of the responses is related to the size of print. If you did you would have drawn the opposite conclusions.
    That’s a pointless post, I do know how a word cloud works.

You don’t actually, as you seem to think the most important ones are the big ones that jump out...
    I hate to break it to you, but...
    I hate to break it to you, but the power of them is how they help to measure trend, the fools gold is getting hung up on each individual one and how pretty they look. Rather like bad excitement over one opinion poll, look at the trend.

Secondly you need to strip out the more meaningless words. You need it to paint a meaningful picture for you.

And in this particular case, the meaningful picture - the big take out from todays which I have correctly spotted - is how these Tory clouds are getting strikingly better under Sunak, and the Labour one full of so many bad associations for that party. Of course with so much raw data you can spin it however you like as Wulf has done, but on trend he has got it utterly wrong hasn’t he? And all those words I have used that help paint that full picture are actually there on both charts, the sheer weight of them help fill in a fuller picture.
    You are speaking in tongues again Rabbit. I have not a ScoobyDoo, I'm afraid.
    I shouldn’t pander to you and your special needs, but as you have cried for help, some people here are clearly oblivious to the issues with word clouds and can’t use them properly like I can.

Do word clouds help you capture complex themes from the data, or in fact distract you if all you do is glance at the biggest words? For example my analysis would try to pick up context. Where you are trying to imply the little words are meaningless, I argue Sunak launches war on the dingy people and suddenly gets little words like tough, leadership, and Starmer gets little words like weak, pro immigration appear. This is important.
    You have a way with words, to coin a phrase.
    I reckon that saying might catch on, you know
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127
    algarkirk said:

boulay said:

I'm not sure this is the best parallel for Boris Johnson's supporters to make.

Punchy piece by Scott Benton MP in today’s Express, headlined: “Show trial’s echoes of OJ Simpson:

“What I witnessed on Wednesday was an obsessive and disproportionate process that sets a dangerous precedent… it is time for this farce to end and for him to be acquitted.”

https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1638845408888733696

But Scott Benton is an absolute roaster, as his recent observations about MOTD show.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a-tory-mp-tried-to-make-point-about-match-of-the-day-and-it-backfired-spectacularly_uk_640d7b65e4b0ebf03d367c44

Up there with this absolute tool yesterday.

The Boris show yesterday, and the allied circus around it, had an elegiac feel of a display from yesterday's men. (What on earth was Lord Pannick doing involving himself in this?). It all felt a bit sad.

Pannick on the streets of London
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    edited March 2023

Nigelb said:

It’s 2025! and we are washing up, with benefit of hindsight, what happened in 2024 election and why. What did we miss?

Did the 1992 scenario repeated in 2024 simply boil down to Tory’s having a lot more money to spend on it than Labour?

When do you actually start general election campaign expenditure, and campaigning - about six weeks to go?

From early 2023 the Tories were clearly up and running with the stronger election unit - aggressive, busy, working effectively together with mainstream media, getting results, whilst Labour’s was non existent until the bill boards appeared about five weeks to go, followed by the now “notorious” mass balloon release.

So it wasn’t how clever for Tories to sack, disown and politically bury Boris, to already give the voters a government change before the election what won it, as much as it now appears it utterly negated Labours “time for change” campaign - that Sunak was thought of on election day as The NHS. The economy. Stability. Fairness, equality, good, honesty. Reducing immigration. Lower taxes. Helping the country/people. A better Britain. The poor. Hope. whilst Starmer and Labour thought of as Wokeness, higher taxes, Dishonesty, Chaos, Disaster, greed, Bad Money, was actually perceptions engineered, fake and created, cultivated over a long period of time, spending lots of money on it.

And we should have realised this in advance, from those early 2023 heat maps. 🤷‍♀️

You appear not to realise that the frequency of the responses is related to the size of print. If you did you would have drawn the opposite conclusions.

You don’t actually, as you seem to think the most important ones are the big ones that jump out...
    I hate to break it to you, but the power of them is how they help to measure trend, the fools gold is getting hung up on each individual one and how pretty they look. Rather like bad excitement over one opinion poll, look at the trend.

Secondly you need to strip out the more meaningless words. You need it to paint a meaningful picture for you.

And in this particular case, the meaningful picture - the big take out from todays which I have correctly spotted - is how these Tory clouds are getting strikingly better under Sunak, and the Labour one full of so many bad associations for that party. Of course with so much raw data you can spin it however you like as Wulf has done, but on trend he has got it utterly wrong hasn’t he? And all those words I have used that help paint that full picture are actually there on both charts, the sheer weight of them help fill in a fuller picture.
    I shouldn’t pander to you and your special needs, but as you have cried for help, some people here are clearly oblivious to the issues with word clouds and can’t use them properly like I can.

Do word clouds help you capture complex themes from the data, or in fact distract you if all you do is glance at the biggest words? For example my analysis would try to pick up context. Where you are trying to imply the little words are meaningless, I argue Sunak launches war on the dingy people and suddenly gets little words like tough, leadership, and Starmer gets little words like weak, pro immigration appear. This is important.
    I am well aware of how word clouds work. My confusion was your alphabet soup post which made no sense whatsoever.

Anyway, who are these dingy people?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

What a nasty little troll you are.

Using special needs as an insult.

Ugh.
    Agreed. I was going to comment. Deeply unpleasant thing to say.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

SKS is quoting from Thatcher's 1975 speech to the Tory Party in which she condemns the Shrewsbury 24 (later exonerated on 2010s), a Labour council refusing to raise rents on social housing & praises the British Army following the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972

Or do you think he ought not to seriously mess with Tory heads by pointing out they're so useless they can't even get the vaguely useful parts of Thatcherism right?

Please explain.

Labour lead up 7 to 26 in this week’s YouGov published just now in The Times Red Box.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

How many people actually have a dedicated law for their personal pension arrangements?
    Why is it necessary?

Eminent KCs can earn a lot more in the private sector, to make it attractive to attract the best you give them perks.

There are many roles where you can earn a lot more in the Private Sector where there is a need to attract the best.

SKS got his MPs to vote against giving them a Pension Tax Break (which I agree with)

Makes him look a hypocrite IMO when he has one himself
    Yup. He has a water right defence for having it and it was deserved.

However it also now isn’t a good look and if you are explaining then you are losing, as a wise man once said.

As ever, two things can be true at once. If the media want a come back narrative for Sunak (and I think they do) then this can easily be one drip in the drip, drip, drip.
    It does seem like this month the media has moved on to the Sunak come-back narrative. These things go in waves. Boris got some of them too, before the next blunder. In Truss's first few days before HMQ's death took over she was also getting a press honeymoon.

The narrative relies on some clear movement in polls or a surprisingly good showing in a byelection or the council elections. At the moment we seem to have a messy series of advances and retreats with little change in the overall front. If that continues then I think the Sunak comeback will "culminate" (word of the year 2022) quite soon.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Ugh.
    That and an antisemitic slur from another poster on the same thread. Not a good day for PB.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

https://twitter.com/Savanta_UK/status/1638858127402758144?s=20
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

Well that puts Yougov back in its box. With MoE applied that's Deltapoll's 10% margin back in play, and if you add in Reform that is just a six point Labour lead.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Most trans adults say transitioning made them more satisfied with their lives
    The Washington Post and KFF surveyed one of the largest randomized samples of U.S. transgender adults to date about their childhoods, feelings and lives
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/03/23/transgender-adults-transitioning-poll/

An interesting (to me) finding there is only a minority of trans people identify as one particular gender. Eg just 12% as trans men and 22% as trans women - the category that just about all of the debate here gets focussed on. Also striking how there's a wide and level spectrum on to what extent trans people present to society as a gender different to that at birth. It's very often not a binary all-or-nothing situation. This sort of real life complexity rarely gets a look-in when the topic is discussed. It's extremely poorly served imo.
    Have you listened to that JK Rowling podcast yet.

For me, it was hugely interesting and educational. Saying how Tumblr was instrumental in "where we are" today in the eg trans (but other issues) debate. As the podcast has it, it was a "safe space" where all kinds of, usually liberal, left-wing theories were put forward - climate, ecology, identifiying as a man/woman/cloud, etc - and, in response from counter-theories, in particular from 4chan, then became ever more defensive, eventually withdrawing the right of people to criticise or even disagree with the Tumblr-originated definitions. It is where the concept snowlfake was first used. Which then to a large extent has crossed to the mainstream, whereby disagreement, let alone criticism of various theories has become taboo.

The podcast related this to JKR and actually if you look at every single review of the podcast it proceeds from the premise that Rowling is absolutely and fundamentally wrong.

I say "educational" - it is of course only one point of view and I will look out others.

You should give it a go.
    Cheers. For me this topic is more about a sense of perspective and practicalities than right/wrong. I have the podcast flagged.
  • Options
    TimS said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Why is it necessary?

There are many roles where you can earn a lot more in the Private Sector where there is a need to attract the best.

SKS got his MPs to vote against giving them a Pension Tax Break (which I agree with)

However it also now isn’t a good look and if you are explaining then you are losing, as a wise man once said.

As ever, two things can be true at once. If the media want a come back narrative for Sunak (and I think they do) then this can easily be one drip in the drip, drip, drip.
    It does seem like this month the media has moved on to the Sunak come-back narrative. These things go in waves. Boris got some of them too, before the next blunder. In Truss's first few days before HMQ's death took over she was also getting a press honeymoon.

The narrative relies on some clear movement in polls or a surprisingly good showing in a byelection or the council elections. At the moment we seem to have a messy series of advances and retreats with little change in the overall front. If that continues then I think the Sunak comeback will "culminate" (word of the year 2022) quite soon.
    There has definitely been a small but clear move towards the Tories in recent weeks(*), though of course no guarantee that means anything about which direction they'll move in next.

(*) Last 10 polls in the Wikipedia chart(#) - mean 29.3, median 29.5, five polls in the 30s
    First 10 polls of March in the Wikipedia chart - mean 27, median 26.5, two polls in the 30s.

(#) Excluding PeoplePolling. Out of all the new pollsters that I don't trust, I distrust them the least by a long way. But even including them wouldn't shift the median.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

He’s really serious about winning, you’ve got to give him that.
    He really is.

Sir Keir Starmer has shifted Labour’s position on transgender rights as he said the bitter rows over Scotland’s Gender Recognition Bill showed the party must consider public opinion on the issue.

The leader of the Labour Party has previously insisted it was committed to updating the Gender Recognition Act to introduce self-identification for transgender people.

However, in a significant shift in Labour’s policy, he said the backlash over the SNP’s gender reform bill had made him think again. The SNP passed legislation this year that would make it significantly easier for people to acquire a gender recognition certificate and reduced the minimum age for doing so to 16. The bill was blocked by the UK government.

Starmer said: “I think that if we reflect on what’s happened in Scotland, the lesson I take from that is that if you’re going to make reforms, you have to carry the public with you.

“And I think that’s a very important message and I think that’s why it’s clear that in Scotland, there should be a reset of the situation.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-partygate-latest-news-rishi-sunak-tory-party-live-2023-w2m6sd0bw
    I've been expecting this. The reform is good but a gift to the Tories.
    A gift to the Tories? He's done it not because he believes it but because he wants to neutralise a possible Tory attack line. Same as he now claims to be a Brexiter ha ha.

Edit: plus he's done it to signal early to his own backbenchers and members that there is no effing way a GR bill is going in the manifesto.
    Think we're agreeing. The gender reform he's dropping would be a gift to the Tories is what I mean.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

The Washington Post and KFF surveyed one of the largest randomized samples of U.S. transgender adults to date about their childhoods, feelings and lives
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/03/23/transgender-adults-transitioning-poll/

An interesting (to me) finding there is only a minority of trans people identify as one particular gender. Eg just 12% as trans men and 22% as trans women - the category that just about all of the debate here gets focussed on. Also striking how there's a wide and level spectrum on to what extent trans people present to society as a gender different to that at birth. It's very often not a binary all-or-nothing situation. This sort of real life complexity rarely gets a look-in when the topic is discussed. It's extremely poorly served imo.

For me, it was hugely interesting and educational. Saying how Tumblr was instrumental in "where we are" today in the eg trans (but other issues) debate. As the podcast has it, it was a "safe space" where all kinds of, usually liberal, left-wing theories were put forward - climate, ecology, identifiying as a man/woman/cloud, etc - and, in response from counter-theories, in particular from 4chan, then became ever more defensive, eventually withdrawing the right of people to criticise or even disagree with the Tumblr-originated definitions. It is where the concept snowlfake was first used. Which then to a large extent has crossed to the mainstream, whereby disagreement, let alone criticism of various theories has become taboo.

The podcast related this to JKR and actually if you look at every single review of the podcast it proceeds from the premise that Rowling is absolutely and fundamentally wrong.

I say "educational" - it is of course only one point of view and I will look out others.

You should give it a go.
    Cheers. For me this topic is more about a sense of perspective and practicalities than right/wrong. I have the podcast flagged.
    Yes I don't think there is a right or wrong (as I noted upthread to Malmesbury). Both sides are hugely compelling which is why I think it best to proceed a posteriori rather than try to figure out how to put the engine together from first principles.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Nigelb said:

Ugh.
    deleted
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Tomorrow the last 2 remaining Walmart's in Portland close....who would have guessed if you just let shoplifting go unabated, that big companies will eventually just close their stores.

We watched shoplifters steal from three Portland stores. Nobody stopped them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTV2S2OtrfM
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

He’s really serious about winning, you’ve got to give him that.
    He really is.

Sir Keir Starmer has shifted Labour’s position on transgender rights as he said the bitter rows over Scotland’s Gender Recognition Bill showed the party must consider public opinion on the issue.

The leader of the Labour Party has previously insisted it was committed to updating the Gender Recognition Act to introduce self-identification for transgender people.

However, in a significant shift in Labour’s policy, he said the backlash over the SNP’s gender reform bill had made him think again. The SNP passed legislation this year that would make it significantly easier for people to acquire a gender recognition certificate and reduced the minimum age for doing so to 16. The bill was blocked by the UK government.

Starmer said: “I think that if we reflect on what’s happened in Scotland, the lesson I take from that is that if you’re going to make reforms, you have to carry the public with you.

“And I think that’s a very important message and I think that’s why it’s clear that in Scotland, there should be a reset of the situation.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-partygate-latest-news-rishi-sunak-tory-party-live-2023-w2m6sd0bw
    I've been expecting this. The reform is good but a gift to the Tories.
    A gift to the Tories? He's done it not because he believes it but because he wants to neutralise a possible Tory attack line. Same as he now claims to be a Brexiter ha ha.

Edit: plus he's done it to signal early to his own backbenchers and members that there is no effing way a GR bill is going in the manifesto.
    Think we're agreeing. The gender reform he's dropping would be a gift to the Tories is what I mean.
    His more conservative than the Conservatives act will come under a lot more pressure from his own side if the polls continue to tighten.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Test
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

Well that puts Yougov back in its box. With MoE applied that's Deltapoll's 10% margin back in play, and if you add in Reform that is just a six point Labour lead.
    I didn't expect any "likes" for such an absurd post, but thanks all the same.
  • Options

Apparently @Anabobazina is unable to post and wishes me to draw attention to this fact, but he is able to send me a vanilla message. Any of the @PBModerator (s) able to take a look? Is @rcs1000 up?

I’ll have to clear him out of the spam trap later.

Looks like the system saw him as a spammer with his one word sentences

Repeatedly posting

T

R

U

S

S

Sets of the spam trap.
    Dangers of posting to PB late at night while pissed. 😂
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

You should give it a go.
    Yes I don't think there is a right or wrong (as I noted upthread to Malmesbury). Both sides are hugely compelling which is why I think it best to proceed a posteriori rather than try to figure out how to put the engine together from first principles.
    It's more that, while there are rights involved (the right to do as you please), there are other rights that conflict with that.

The point of good law making is to create a framework for resolving the clashes between rights.

Screaming at the top of your voice that anyone who suggests that there is a clash is a Racist Sexist Misogynistic Homophobic Neon-Nazi Baby Eater just makes people wonder if someone has found the plot you have obviously lost.

I should note that some people were denying there was a problem, that it would ever happen in real life etc... Right until Sturgeon stepped in to deal with an actual example.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Another man of principle.

Ron DeSantis forced into U-turn after calling Ukraine war ‘territorial dispute’
    Likely Republican contender for White House says remark was ‘mischaracterised’ but calls Vladimir Putin a war criminal
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/23/ron-desantis-ukraine-war-russia-territorial-dispute
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Driver said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Why is it necessary?

There has definitely been a small but clear move towards the Tories in recent weeks(*), though of course no guarantee that means anything about which direction they'll move in next.

(*) Last 10 polls in the Wikipedia chart(#) - mean 29.3, median 29.5, five polls in the 30s
    First 10 polls of March in the Wikipedia chart - mean 27, median 26.5, two polls in the 30s.

(#) Excluding PeoplePolling. Out of all the new pollsters that I don't trust, I distrust them the least by a long way. But even including them wouldn't shift the median.
    There is some movement underway. March has had ten polls which show the Conservatives on 30%+, whereas in February and January, it was only two.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

Hard to work out what's going on with the polls this moment but it's certainly an interesting period.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Something very odd is going on with polling in the last month. Huge differences not only between pollsters but between successive polls from the same pollster. And in both directions.
    One simple explanation is, wet behind the ears pollsters who don’t know what they’re doing giving Labour silly unrealistic leads, proven Gold standard pollsters now regularly have Tories moving up through the 30’s.
    Who are the 'Gold Standard' pollsters these days?
  • Options
    Driver said:

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Ugh.
    That and an antisemitic slur from another poster on the same thread. Not a good day for PB.
    Glad I missed that one.

It has been a little cranky here for a while. A couple of weeks ago there were some really tetchy debates.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

Hard to work out what's going on with the polls this moment but it's certainly an interesting period.
    This poll is a plus one (MoE?) for the Conservatives. I suspect it tells us little, although undoubtedly the Conservatives are inching up very slowly and at present across the board Labour are a solid 45.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

Another poll with Labour on 45%.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Something very odd is going on with polling in the last month. Huge differences not only between pollsters but between successive polls from the same pollster. And in both directions.
    One simple explanation is, wet behind the ears pollsters who don’t know what they’re doing giving Labour silly unrealistic leads, proven Gold standard pollsters now regularly have Tories moving up through the 30’s.
    Who are the 'Gold Standard' pollsters these days?
    The pollster whose snapshot looks most favourable for the Cons?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    Sean_F said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Why is it necessary?

There is some movement underway. March has had ten polls which show the Conservatives on 30%+, whereas in February and January, it was only two.
    I agree there is some definite movement.

Labour overall majority now down to 222 with Tories on 137 seats.

• Options
    We’ve had a budget that hasn’t fallen apart. A bit of a boost for wavering Tories who like a bit of competency.

Still have work to do on the cost of living crisis though.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    Driver said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No

Please explain.

Labour 49 (+3)
    Tories 23 (-4)
    LibDems 10 (-1)
    Greens 6 (nc)
    Reform 6 (nc)

Why is it necessary?

The Tory numbers being all over the place is interesting; of course it could be a rare cluster of outliers, or it could be a faulty methodology. But it may be that there is a real lack of firmness in Tory support - beyond its 20+% inalienable support - which Labour isn't sharing or showing.

Why? Because the Tories are emerging but not yet emerged from being successively: The Brexit referendum party, the useless party, the not Jezza party, the Get Brexit Done party, the Covid party, the Paterson party, the Partygate party, the Dishonest party, the Truss nightmare party, the Inflation party.

They are still the Send Paddington Bear to Rwanda party (they deserve to be haunted by this) but otherwise mostly for the last few weeks they have been reasonably sane, and showing signs of being the post-Boris party. Sunak and Hunt could fashion themselves into One Nation Clarkeites with effort.

So in fact that are the bi polar, manic depressive party, only weeks into an effort at normality. And they have turned the Tory poll figures bi polar too.

They have 18 months or so. A 10-20% chance of stopping SKS being PM.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293
    edited March 2023
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Savanta

Labour 45%
    Conservatives 31%
    LD 9%
    RefUK 4%
    SNP 3%
    Greens 35

It's not that difficult.

After several unsuccessful picks the Conservatives have now appointed a PM who is competent and sensible. Voters have started to notice this. It is unlikely this will be enough to return them to power, but it might be. It depends on how the next eighteen months go.

Yesterday's Pantomime in Parliament won't have helped, but if it leads to getting rid of Boris for good it may prove beneficial in the long run.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I particularly like the idea of a war on dingy people - accountants to be concerned?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

You should give it a go.
    It's more that, while there are rights involved (the right to do as you please), there are other rights that conflict with that.

The point of good law making is to create a framework for resolving the clashes between rights.

Screaming at the top of your voice that anyone who suggests that there is a clash is a Racist Sexist Misogynistic Homophobic Neon-Nazi Baby Eater just makes people wonder if someone has found the plot you have obviously lost.

I should note that some people were denying there was a problem, that it would ever happen in real life etc... Right until Sturgeon stepped in to deal with an actual example.
    Yes there definitely is a problem. Now I don't know the stats but I suspect that this is a "stranger danger" issue - all too real for those who have suffered it, but (could be vanishingly) small actual occurrences.

As discussed, the sensible safeguards should keep people happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

We’ve had a budget that hasn’t fallen apart. A bit of a boost for wavering Tories who like a bit of competency.

Well when the major change probably goes down rather well with the media types and their big pension pots, while the rest is tax the companies more / keep on borrowing to spend, they don't tend to look as hard.

Compare the reaction to minor change to NI for independent contractors / one man bands by Hammond as few years ago, and all of the sudden lots in the media got very hot under the collar and extended focus on it being a disaster (when it wasn't really, it was quite boring).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I particularly like the idea of a war on dingy people - accountants to be concerned?
    It's just an extension of the war @Malmesbury and I have been waging on the DfE.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Or, more accurately actually actuaries ?
  • Options
    Are we all very glued to our computer with incredible excitement for the Hundred draft?

Major League Cricket in the US is looking far better offering.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Driver said:

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Ugh.
    Glad I missed that one.

It has been a little cranky here for a while. A couple of weeks ago there were some really tetchy debates.
    Since holiday snap posts have ceased, the debate has become less profane and aggressive. One would have thought holiday snaps would have cheered us all up, but apparently not.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Are you on something? Seriously. Usually posters flag up a pasquinade.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,412

I'm sceptical that there is very much productive that can be done on the cost of living crisis.

Essentially, we've been living beyond our means for far too long. That includes relying on cheap fossil fuels from dodgy regimes; it includes consistently running a budget deficit, it includes consistently running a trade deficit, it includes furloughing vast swathes of the workforce. What we are seeing now is something of a return to what the cost of living actually is.
    It would be nice if we were all as rich as we pretended we were in the first 20 years of the century. But we aren't, and we never were.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

You should give it a go.

Yes there definitely is a problem. Now I don't know the stats but I suspect that this is a "stranger danger" issue - all too real for those who have suffered it, but (could be vanishingly) small actual occurrences.

The law is all about edge cases. 99.99%+ of human interactions are just fine and need no recourse to *any* law, after all.

The problem is the absolutists who demand absolutely no safeguards/limits - If you don't think that violent rapists should be allowed in general population in a women's prison, you are bigot.
  • Options
    Apple appears to have taken an extreme next step in pushing ahead with its return-to-office mandate, leaving many employees facing a tough decision.

Zoë Schiffer of Platformer explained in a tweet(opens in new tab) that the iPhone maker is tracking employees’ attendance via their badge records as it stands its ground on a three-day-per-week policy.

Workers failing to adhere could face “escalating warnings” that in some cases are said to be leading to termination, however the precise details of any consequences remain undercover, for now at least.

https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-is-now-stalking-its-employees-badges-to-make-sure-they-are-coming-into-the-office
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Or, more accurately actually actuaries ?
    Don't take on actuaries. They decimate you.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

No. Chartered Accountants are cool and interesting people.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

I'm sceptical that there is very much productive that can be done on the cost of living crisis.

Essentially, we've been living beyond our means for far too long. That includes relying on cheap fossil fuels from dodgy regimes; it includes consistently running a budget deficit, it includes consistently running a trade deficit, it includes furloughing vast swathes of the workforce. What we are seeing now is something of a return to what the cost of living actually is.
    It would be nice if we were all as rich as we pretended we were in the first 20 years of the century. But we aren't, and we never were.
    Not just running big deficit, printing huge amounts of money. Adding so much to the money supply, it was more shocking it didn't come about sooner...combined with interest rates that were abnormally low for far too long. 4-5% is much more the historic normal for interest rates, but 15+ years of being conditioned on rates that in reality can't work i.e you can't be taking all the risk loaning money out for 0.5% and nobody wants to deposit to earn that kind of return.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

It's just an extension of the war @Malmesbury and I have been waging on the DfE.
    Perhaps the UK National Space Launch Capability needs a third proving launch?

What about the surface of Neptune?
  • Options

Apple appears to have taken an extreme next step in pushing ahead with its return-to-office mandate, leaving many employees facing a tough decision.

Zoë Schiffer of Platformer explained in a tweet(opens in new tab) that the iPhone maker is tracking employees’ attendance via their badge records as it stands its ground on a three-day-per-week policy.

Workers failing to adhere could face “escalating warnings” that in some cases are said to be leading to termination, however the precise details of any consequences remain undercover, for now at least.

https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-is-now-stalking-its-employees-badges-to-make-sure-they-are-coming-into-the-office

They'll lose all their a-peel.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why, what bad shit did it do to you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why, what bad shit did it do to you?
    Utterly fucked up a small side project I had in space technology - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVlnER8SxfQ
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913
    ydoethur said:

There will always be a core fan base.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119

... Sunak was thought of on election day as ... The poor. ...

Good luck with that bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Only a few pipple will be interested in working for a stalker.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    On a serious note, this is bloody stupid by Apple. TikTok and Huawei are being muttered about because they *may* be spying on us, and here's Apple demonstrating it *is* spying on people...
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    TikTok has been banned across the Parliamentary estate.

Just get on and bloody ban the whole thing. Its bloody malware for your mind and your phone...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On a serious note, this is bloody stupid by Apple. TikTok and Huawei are being muttered about because they *may* be spying on us, and here's Apple demonstrating it *is* spying on people...

Most organisations "spy" on attendance to work.

It's the spying on other people that gets objected to.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

A cider from that the product is appealing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds like a real Cox Up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    ydoethur said:

Surely that's a category error. There's a massive difference between analysing data that you have a legitimate reason to hold and collecting data that you don't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm not entirely sure that "checking the records of people scanning in and out of the building" really qualifies as "spying", that's the sort of thing that I've always assumed management monitor as a matter of routine anyway.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Most organisations "spy" on attendance to work.

It's the spying on other people that gets objected to.
    My comment makes more sense (or not) when you realise I had misread the post and thought they were using employees' iPhones to spy on their attendance.

Which could be the next step but I hope they hope the sense never to take it. To quote Ernest Bevin, if you open that Pandora's box you don't know what Trojan 'orses might jump out.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Of course they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQlCOmXuHM
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

You should give it a go.

The law is all about edge cases. 99.99%+ of human interactions are just fine and need no recourse to *any* law, after all.

The problem is the absolutists who demand absolutely no safeguards/limits - If you don't think that violent rapists should be allowed in general population in a women's prison, you are bigot.
    There's also a problem in viewing the whole issue from that angle. Eg GRR can co-exist with a sensible policy for prisons.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

This is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsZiRRKpvQ
  • Options
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds like a real Cox Up.
    I had a friend who was seeing a girl whose German family ran a fruit packing firm. He struggled to contain his composure when the mother started discussing the relative advantages of English Cox as opposed to German Cox.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Dated that though. Accountancy (Chartered) went through a revolution in the 80s. It started to attract lots of 21 year old graduates from top unis who were both smart and directionless.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    TOPPING said:

I can understand why the more right-wing folk on here are disgusted with Starmer as he triangulates all over the place to make Labour more palatable to voters.

How dare this North London lawyer have the temerity to try to get Labour into a position to win the next General Election? It's a disgrace, that's what it is.

Not disgusted or angry, just disappointed. Saying you will do whatever the public wants you to do is of course one way to election success. It means you can legitimately claim not to have any political ideals or coherent political philosophy, that said.
    Watch Starmer squirm if people want to bring back the death penalty for child murderers.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

This is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsZiRRKpvQ
    It is good. Though the Monty Python line "And whereas in most professions these would be considerable drawbacks, in chartered accountancy they're a positive boon" is pure genius
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Dated that though. Accountancy (Chartered) went through a revolution in the 80s. It started to attract lots of 21 year old graduates from top unis who were both smart and directionless.
    ....but nonetheless extremely dull lol
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

No, Nigel. Smart + Directionless = Cool + Interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

TOPPING said:

I can understand why the more right-wing folk on here are disgusted with Starmer as he triangulates all over the place to make Labour more palatable to voters.

How dare this North London lawyer have the temerity to try to get Labour into a position to win the next General Election? It's a disgrace, that's what it is.

Not disgusted or angry, just disappointed. Saying you will do whatever the public wants you to do is of course one way to election success. It means you can legitimately claim not to have any political ideals or coherent political philosophy, that said.
    Watch Starmer squirm if people want to bring back the death penalty for child murderers.....
    The majority already do. That is one for Suella and your team.

If any Labour leader went down that route the party would implode, and quite right too!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

You have an accidental full stop in the middle of that sentence. 😉
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Weekly deaths update:

https://tinyurl.com/4zjf66dw

Non-COVID excess deaths now 500 below the five-year average.

Week-ending | 5-year average | COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average

07-Oct-22 | 9,835 | 400 | 10,807 | 972
    14-Oct-22 | 10,091 | 565 | 11,134 | 1,043
    21-Oct-22 | 10,224 | 687 | 11,251 | 1,027
    28-Oct-22 | 10,013 | 651 | 10,594 | 581
    04-Nov-22 | 10,278 | 650 | 11,145 | 867
    11-Nov-22 | 10,743 | 518 | 11,020 | 277
    18-Nov-22 | 10,786 | 423 | 11,156 | 370
    25-Nov-22 | 10,705 | 348 | 11,135 | 430
    02-Dec-22 | 10,725 | 317 | 10,990 | 265
    09-Dec-22 | 11,007 | 326 | 11,368 | 361
    16-Dec-22 | 11,203 | 390 | 11,999 | 796
    23-Dec-22 | 12,037 | 429 | 14,101 | 2,064
    30-Dec-22 | 7,925 | 393 | 9,124 | 1,199
    06-Jan-23 | 12,037 | 739 | 14,244 | 2,207
    13-Jan-23 | 13,749 | 922 | 16,459 | 2,710
    20-Jan-23 | 13,098 | 781 | 15,023 | 1,925
    27-Jan-23 | 12,562 | 579 | 13,588 | 1,026
    03-Feb-23 | 12,108 | 499 | 12,913 | 805
    10-Feb-23 | 11,794 | 446 | 12,226 | 432
    17-Feb-23 | 11,586 | 416 | 11,766 | 180
    24-Feb-23 | 11,444 | 420 | 11,532 | 88
    03-Mar-23 | 11,037 | 513 | 11,536 | 499
    10-Mar-23 | 11,419 | 533 | 10,877 | -542
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

No, Nigel. Smart + Directionless = Cool + Interesting.
    ....for an accountant. A little like being caring and compassionate...for a hedge fund manager.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Will this be in the Conservative manifesto then?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

TOPPING said:

If any Labour leader went down that route the party would implode, and quite right too!
    I used to be really worried that at its peak, UKIP would come out in favour of capital punishment and link its return to leaving the EU. Thank God they didn’t, because I fear it might have been quite popular and entered mainstream debate. Perhaps Farage has some principles at some level.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Suella Braverman is considering it for all makers of dairy products (sorry I have gone into Monty Python mode)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Weekly deaths update:

https://tinyurl.com/4zjf66dw

Non-COVID excess deaths now 500 below the five-year average.

Week-ending | 5-year average | COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average

07-Oct-22 | 9,835 | 400 | 10,807 | 972
    14-Oct-22 | 10,091 | 565 | 11,134 | 1,043
    21-Oct-22 | 10,224 | 687 | 11,251 | 1,027
    28-Oct-22 | 10,013 | 651 | 10,594 | 581
    04-Nov-22 | 10,278 | 650 | 11,145 | 867
    11-Nov-22 | 10,743 | 518 | 11,020 | 277
    18-Nov-22 | 10,786 | 423 | 11,156 | 370
    25-Nov-22 | 10,705 | 348 | 11,135 | 430
    02-Dec-22 | 10,725 | 317 | 10,990 | 265
    09-Dec-22 | 11,007 | 326 | 11,368 | 361
    16-Dec-22 | 11,203 | 390 | 11,999 | 796
    23-Dec-22 | 12,037 | 429 | 14,101 | 2,064
    30-Dec-22 | 7,925 | 393 | 9,124 | 1,199
    06-Jan-23 | 12,037 | 739 | 14,244 | 2,207
    13-Jan-23 | 13,749 | 922 | 16,459 | 2,710
    20-Jan-23 | 13,098 | 781 | 15,023 | 1,925
    27-Jan-23 | 12,562 | 579 | 13,588 | 1,026
    03-Feb-23 | 12,108 | 499 | 12,913 | 805
    10-Feb-23 | 11,794 | 446 | 12,226 | 432
    17-Feb-23 | 11,586 | 416 | 11,766 | 180
    24-Feb-23 | 11,444 | 420 | 11,532 | 88
    03-Mar-23 | 11,037 | 513 | 11,536 | 499
    10-Mar-23 | 11,419 | 533 | 10,877 | -542

How does this work? So we dish out 500 state authorised murders to keep the numbers in balance? Can I submit a list?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That would be the last resort of scoundrels. I have no doubt the subject is being debated as we write. Power corrupts, and the relentless determination to cling to that corrupt power opens all doors.
  • Options
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

I used to be really worried that at its peak, UKIP would come out in favour of capital punishment and link its return to leaving the EU. Thank God they didn’t, because I fear it might have been quite popular and entered mainstream debate. Perhaps Farage has some principles at some level.
    But do the current incarnation of the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    I'm being perfectly serious. Who you get going into ACA are graduates from top unis in lots of different arts and science subjects who have no clue what they want to do in life and so kind of drift into it. This makes for a much cooler and more interesting crowd than you find in most other professions.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That would be the last resort of scoundrels. I have no doubt the subject is being debated as we write. Power corrupts, and the relentless determination to cling to that corrupt power opens all doors.
    Those who wish to see a change of government are going to be disappointed to find that populism will largely be abandoned by the Conservative Party (with the exception of the ghastly Rwanda policy) and it will tack back into the centre to put itself in the position of warning against the danger of letting Jeremy Corbyn's apologist become PM.

That would be how I would seek to do it if I were Sunak. And before anyone tries to claim £5 I am not him. Now what did I do with my tax return?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

On this, I doubt more than a handful of Tory MPs depart from the consensus view.

But that’s part of the problem. We all know a decent chunk of the public quite likes the idea and we all know that “we” (me, you, all politicians, the whole civil service etc) - the “liberal elite” conspire to never let them get the option.

I worry that one day someone will, and it will just happen, with the next UKIP/reform taking power. I think it would be healthier if someone was out there making the case so it could be argued against and voters won round.

I probably didn’t explain that very well.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they try and re-animate the Leaver coalition with a tasty 'Referendum on leaving the ECHR' offer.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I'm being perfectly serious. Who you get going into ACA are graduates from top unis in lots of different arts and science subjects who have no clue what they want to do in life and so kind of drift into it. This makes for a much cooler and more interesting crowd than you find in most other professions.

Nah. I’ve sat in the lessons with the grads. They are of a type.
  • Options
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

Bollocks they are. It's a far more diverse intake than things like the law or engineering or teaching or medicine or IT.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Those who wish to see a change of government are going to be disappointed to find that populism will largely be abandoned by the Conservative Party (with the exception of the ghastly Rwanda policy) and it will tack back into the centre to put itself in the position of warning against the danger of letting Jeremy Corbyn's apologist become PM.

That would be how I would seek to do it if I were Sunak. And before anyone tries to claim £5 I am not him. Now what did I do with my tax return?
    I fear Sunak does not have the cajones.

If you are right, yesterday's cabal of 22 eye- swivellers who voted against the NI bill would now be sitting as Independents.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No sorry Kinabula, with the caveat that during my entire business life I did once meet one moderately interesting accountant, the truth is that accountancy dullness is self selecting. An advert for the ACA could read thus:

Are you someone who finds themselves interested in matters that most people find boring? Do you regularly send your friends on your course to sleep with your conversation? Is your only real friend The Speaking Clock? If your answers to these questions are yes (within an acceptable standard deviation) you should aim for a career in accountancy. Interesting folk need not apply.

(Only kidding of course...I have actually met two accountants who were moderately interesting)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

Bollocks they are. It's a far more diverse intake than things like the law or engineering or teaching or medicine or IT.
    Well, maybe, but selected from that diverse potential intake by the common characteristic of wanting to do accountancy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

Ah, well I think those examples are usually even more dull…

And I’m a physicist. We’re known for our parties.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they try and re-animate the Leaver coalition with a tasty 'Referendum on leaving the ECHR' offer.
    That is at least eventually undoable in the event of a non-Conservative Government. Hanging the Birmingham 6, Guildford 4, Judith Ward and Stefan Kizsko would be less undoable.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

On this, I doubt more than a handful of Tory MPs depart from the consensus view.

But that’s part of the problem. We all know a decent chunk of the public quite likes the idea and we all know that “we” (me, you, all politicians, the whole civil service etc) - the “liberal elite” conspire to never let them get the option.

I worry that one day someone will, and it will just happen, with the next UKIP/reform taking power. I think it would be healthier if someone was out there making the case so it could be argued against and voters won round.

I can't think of any precedent for that at all...!
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

No, you did fine!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That is at least eventually undoable in the event of a non-Conservative Government. Hanging the Birmingham 6, Guildford 4, Judith Ward and Stefan Kizsko would be less undoable.
    Worse. Once you’ve hanged someone, there’s little incentive to dig into the case much, so we probably wouldn’t even know of several big miscarriages of justice.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I fear Sunak does not have the cajones.

If you are right, yesterday's cabal of 22 eye- swivellers who voted against the NI bill would now be sitting as Independents.
    Well I thought he should have threatened to withdraw the whip, but I am now thinking that he has played it right. They are now fully emasculated, like 20 odd eunuchs waiting for the next time their Sultan wishes to humiliate them.
This discussion has been closed.