Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kate Forbes moves to SNP leadership favourite – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2023 in General
imageKate Forbes moves to SNP leadership favourite – politicalbetting.com

This was her Tweeting and video announcing her move.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    As if by magic, a new thread appeared.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    OMG she is SKS in a skirt
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    mwadams said:

As if by magic, a new thread appeared.

And possibly new candidates, one must remember.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Notice she emphasises she would get a grip on the Scottish economy and finances. Suggests a clear shift to the right after Sturgeon if she succeeds her

Well, Mr Corbyn didn't cover himself in glory in Scotland as I recall. Demanding that water be nationalised and so on.
  • OMG she is SKS in a skirt

Ah, left wing misogyny. JC fan please explain?
    edited February 2023
    Kate Forbes would even make me consider voting SNP if I lived in Scotland in an SNP and SLab marginal. I would never have considered voting for any other SNP leader but the socially conservative, economically centre right, pro monarchy Forbes is not a million miles from me, apart from on the Union of course and my being a bit more of a social liberal than she is!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620

She quite definitely isn't. Policies, personality, background. She is a very, very different politician to SKS.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    HYUFD said:

Notice she emphasises she would get a grip on the Scottish economy and finances. Suggests a clear shift to the right after Sturgeon if she succeeds her

But where's the homophobic TERFic fire and brimstone you promised us? :disappointed:
  • HYUFD said:

Kate Forbes would even make me consider voting SNP in an SNP and SLab marginal. I would never have considered voting for any other SNP leader but the socially conservative, economically centre right, pro monarchy Forbes is not a million miles from me, apart from on the Union of course and my being a bit more of a social liberal than she is!

So what you are saying is that she is right wing and a nationalist. Sounds a little ominous
    Carnyx said:

Well, Mr Corbyn didn't cover himself in glory in Scotland as I recall. Demanding that water be nationalised and so on.
    Maybe he planned to de-nationalise it first?

"If I had believed in all their policies, I would have been passionately committed to keeping out of the Common Market, and passionately committed to going into it. I would have been utterly convinced of the rightness of nationalising steel. And of denationalising it and renationalising it. On capital punishment, I'd have been a fervent retentionist and an ardent abolishionist. I would've been a Keynesian and a Friedmanite, a grammar school preserver and destroyer, a nationalisation freak and a privatisation maniac; but above all, I would have been a stark, staring, raving schizophrenic."
  • OMG she is SKS in a skirt

Even I don’t think she’ll win the next GE.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    HYUFD said:

LOL

have you seen the state of Scotlands finances ? And she's been in charge of them.

Kate Peron

UK or Scotland (Westminster) or Scotland (Holyrood)?

HYUFD said:

LOL

have you seen the state of Scotlands finances ? And she's been in charge of them.

Kate Peron
    {Image of zillions of shirtless Scots outside the Scottish Parliament}
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

She quite definitely isn't. Policies, personality, background. She is a very, very different politician to SKS.
    I think BJO might simply have been referring to his inability to understand her apparent popularity.
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

But where's the homophobic TERFic fire and brimstone you promised us? :disappointed:
    HYUFD’s not a candidate.
  • Carnyx said:

We are on PB, just as there is only one real parliament, there is only one real general election.
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD’s not a candidate.
    Pity. All he needed was to pay a sub before the cutoff and ... oh, just realised the problem. Find 100 members willing to support his candidacy.

Carnyx said:

We are on PB, just as there is only one real parliament, there is only one real general election.
    Yes, my mistake, ta.
    Nigelb said:

I think BJO might simply have been referring to his inability to understand her apparent popularity.
    More that everyone to the right of Corbyn = Tories.

So SKS is a Tory
    Forbes is a Tory
    Karl Marx is a Tory
    etc.

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    Ever been to Glasgow when it stops raining?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    It stops raining?
    Russia targets Netherlands' North Sea infrastructure, says Dutch intelligence agency
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-targets-netherlands-north-sea-infrastructure-says-dutch-intelligence-2023-02-20/

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    It stops raining?
    Oh, yes, they can eat icecream out of doors on occasion without it washing away.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    So, Kate Forbes is more of a Salmondite than a Sturgeonite?
    Nigelb said:

Russia targets Netherlands' North Sea infrastructure, says Dutch intelligence agency
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-targets-netherlands-north-sea-infrastructure-says-dutch-intelligence-2023-02-20/

Back when I worked in Big Oil, we had reports on the vulnerability of the North Sea platforms to Russian Fun.

Since it was after the cold war, they had opened the files up, so we could all look.

I especially remember the estimates for Troll B - a Russian 65cm torpedo was predicated to barely dent one of the legs in a contact explosion. For the conventional model. The nuclear version would destroy one leg, and smash up the topsides and render it all radioactive - but the other legs would probably survive!
    Nigelb said:

Tbf, I have a similar problem with Starmer, until I look at the government.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

By 'background' you're referring to the lack of flags in this video? :wink:
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    It stops raining?
    Oh, yes, they can eat icecream out of doors on occasion without it washing away.
    They eat the ice cream? I thought the vans were only there for....
  • To quote a self styled Scotch Expert 'Forbes is nowhere near experienced enough politically' for the job.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Sandpit said:

HY describes her as Erik the Skullsplitterite.

And this is basically proved by PBs most headbanger Tories hailing Forbes as the next Margaret Thatcher, and playing down her illiberal values as no problem at all.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited February 2023
    If Forbes wins will the Greens crash the power share arrangement?

Maybe we'll have an interesting Scottish Parliament election to get our teeth into this spring?

Wouldn't that be exciting? :D

To quote a self styled Scotch Expert 'Forbes is nowhere near experienced enough politically' for the job.

Scotch Experts - debating getting another bottle of Smokehead. The wine snob in the family declares it poor, but seems to drink it by the gallon.

Personally, I like it....
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited February 2023
    News from the frontline.

Non observant Catholic, Celtic supporting non SNP member pal: I’d vote for Forbes because she’s a ride.
  • Sandpit said:

In essence, yes I think so. There seems to be a view that being socially conservative means she must be a right winger. This is painfully shallow analysis from HYUFD - moral small c conservatives aren't going to vote for immorality and corruption (Tory).

There is a very fundamental difference between the pro-business "Salmondite" approach and Toryism. Salmond and I assume Forbes are pro-business because they want to enrich the nation. Today's Tory party is pro-business because it wants to enrich its spiv donors and patrons.
    White house national security adviser says that Russia was notified of Biden's travel to Kyiv some hours before Biden's departure to avoid any miscalculations.
    https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1627655159051350017
    The PM says 'don't gobblefunk around with words' as he attacks plans to remove colourful language from Roald Dahl books

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/roald-dahl-censorship-row-matilda-sensitivity-rishi-sunak-gobblefunk-b1061640.html
    edited February 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Maybe we'll have an interesting Scottish Parliament election to get our teeth into this spring?

Minority government. But that's basically SOP at Holyrood for much of the time. IIRC 14 years Lab-LD coalition, 10 years minority, 2 years sort of in between SNP arrangement with SGs. Depends who else wants sweeties, though.

Also: that assumes SGs don't block the election of a new FM (as they well could given the numbers).
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Header: She seems a lot more likeable than Nippy. Talks about small independent nations - may be less likely to want to approach EU for membership??
  • I've always seen the SNP to be in the centre like the LibDems. Elements of the party sit in various positions across the centre of the spectrum. They are progressive, but that isn't the same as being pro-state anti-business as seems to be the stereotype.

The SNP's opportunity is a new leader who is able to draw support from across the political spectrum. They aren't left or right wing so that is achievable. Sturgeon tested to breaking point how far you can push non-issues over actual issues, so the new leader will have to be focused on jobs and services.

So the threat from Forbes is that she is competent. Talk about Scotland freed of its shackles and doing all the things people want, rather than the Sturgeon approach of Scotland is shackled so we can't do anything and its Westminster's fault.
    Nigelb said:

White house national security adviser says that Russia was notified of Biden's travel to Kyiv some hours before Biden's departure to avoid any miscalculations.

If nothing else, I bet there were some interesting air movements over NATO countries bordering Ukraine.

They'd want to telegraph the reason for that, in advance.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    It stops raining?
    Also possible to buy it in the classic caffs ... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551771-d1484759-Reviews-Nardini_s-Largs_North_Ayrshire_Ayrshire_Scotland.html
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited February 2023
    I know some flint knappers on here will be delighted with this.

Roman dildo discovered after experts re-examine 2000-year-old wooden phallus found near Hadrian's Wall

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1627650968253870080?t=6D2FNHBKYMUTT9uWv6xLOw&s=19
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

To quote a self styled Scotch Expert 'Forbes is nowhere near experienced enough politically' for the job.

You’re enjoying this a bit too much!
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited February 2023
    Have I posted this archeological find before Leon?

https://news.sky.com/story/roman-dildo-discovered-after-experts-re-examine-2000-year-old-wooden-phallus-found-near-hadrians-wall-12815732

Edit. Alistair has stuck the whole thing up before me.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

I've always seen the SNP to be in the centre like the LibDems. Elements of the party sit in various positions across the centre of the spectrum. They are progressive, but that isn't the same as being pro-state anti-business as seems to be the stereotype.

The SNP's opportunity is a new leader who is able to draw support from across the political spectrum. They aren't left or right wing so that is achievable. Sturgeon tested to breaking point how far you can push non-issues over actual issues, so the new leader will have to be focused on jobs and services.

So the threat from Forbes is that she is competent. Talk about Scotland freed of its shackles and doing all the things people want, rather than the Sturgeon approach of Scotland is shackled so we can't do anything and its Westminster's fault.

Aside from her telling us all she is competent what evidence is there ?
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Nigelb said:

If nothing else, I bet there were some interesting air movements over NATO countries bordering Ukraine.

Currently a couple of AWAC type US aircraft patrolling the Poland/Ukraine border.

Nigelb said:

Russian spin on the humiliation.
    … “We gave Biden security guarantees for a visit to Kyiv although we could have threatened him”.
    https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1627628298065903617

Totally believable. :smile:
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    GIN1138 said:

If Forbes wins, hopefully the SNP will crash the power share agreement.
    If Forbes wins, will they still be any point in Alba continuing?
  • HYUFD said:

The PM says 'don't gobblefunk around with words' as he attacks plans to remove colourful language from Roald Dahl books

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/roald-dahl-censorship-row-matilda-sensitivity-rishi-sunak-gobblefunk-b1061640.html

Why is the Government getting involved in how private organisations conduct their affairs?
    AlistairM said:

Nigelb said:

Currently a couple of AWAC type US aircraft patrolling the Poland/Ukraine border.
    That's pretty standard these days. Bet there were some movements of more tactical aircraft as well.
    Stocky said:

Header: She seems a lot more likeable than Nippy. Talks about small independent nations - may be less likely to want to approach EU for membership??

I note she didn’t mention their social liberalism as something to aspire to.

https://news.sky.com/story/roman-dildo-discovered-after-experts-re-examine-2000-year-old-wooden-phallus-found-near-hadrians-wall-12815732

Ouch.

GIN1138 said:

Two good points to consider.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    is there any evidence that Kate Forbes is a right-winger (beyond her socially conservative religious views, if they are considered right-wing?). I can't find much about her online. How does she shape up and square up to the flame-haired Ash re:political positioning?
    Sitting at home having tested +ve for Covid.
    Seems to be quite a bit going round atm.

Feeling fine other than a bit tired/under the weather.
  • Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

I can’t see any future SNP that would provide a platform for Hanvey, MacAskilll and Tasmina, let alone Eck, so Alba may stagger on as an ego trip if nothing else.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Nigelb said:

So SKS is a Tory
    Forbes is a Tory
    Karl Marx is a Tory
    etc.

3rd one is a Spcialist.

Other 2 are right wing Socialist haters
  • DougSeal said:

You’re enjoying this a bit too much!
    Fake news.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,770

I've always seen the SNP to be in the centre like the LibDems. Elements of the party sit in various positions across the centre of the spectrum. They are progressive, but that isn't the same as being pro-state anti-business as seems to be the stereotype.

She can’t stand the Greens. That’s a start.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

HYUFD said:

Why is the Government getting involved in how private organisations conduct their affairs?
    I don't think Rishi is that much of a market fundamentalist. And anyway I don't think he's getting involved, merely offering an opinion. A subtle difference which seems to be lost nowadays.
    edited February 2023

is there any evidence that Kate Forbes is a right-winger (beyond her socially conservative religious views, if they are considered right-wing?). I can't find much about her online. How does she shape up and square up to the flame-haired Ash re:political positioning?

She is a spending hawk who backs tax cuts as well as a social conservative

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-61623669.amp

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/4068929/kate-forbes-calls-for-cut-in-fuel-duty-to-save-scottish-families-from-being-plunged-into-poverty/
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

GIN1138 said:

as the point of alba seems to have been an ego trip for Salmond’s hurt feelings, mere changes of policy won’t affect its continuation.
    fpt

Do these Tory brexiteers not realise that the Brexit 'dream' is in danger of dying if they don't accept some sort of compromise? We're likely to have a Labour government in less than two years. So what do they think is going to happen. Starmer will do a deal similar to Sunak or even take the UK back into the customs union.

Perhaps they feel the Brexit dream has already died. They just want to fight the EU as they have nothing left to lose.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Presumably unlikely to see anymore candidates beyond the 3 now declared?

I know absolutely nothing about any of them. Will watch with interest, but having seen the last Tory contests, presumably the debate risks feeling quite divisive
    HYUFD said:

She is a spending hawk who backs tax cuts as well as a social conservative

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-61623669.amp

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/4068929/kate-forbes-calls-for-cut-in-fuel-duty-to-save-scottish-families-from-being-plunged-into-poverty/
    Thanks – useful link @HYUFD
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,086
    Nigelb said:

Ouch.
    I can see an argument developing over the intended gender of customer for this dildo. Or, as Homer would put it, dil-doh !
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,086
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    I do have memories of being stuck in the Holiday Inn Express in Motherwell.

It stopped raining briefly, but it was January.
  • fpt

Do these Tory brexiteers not realise that the Brexit 'dream' is in danger of dying if they don't accept some sort of compromise? We're likely to have a Labour government in less than two years. So what do they think is going to happen. Starmer will do a deal similar to Sunak or even take the UK back into the customs union.

Perhaps they feel the Brexit dream has already died. They just want to fight the EU as they have nothing left to lose.

They are at the "one last heave" stage. No compromises now because they have to railroad through the EU Bonfire bill. Once they burn all of the EU laws they can start cutting working conditions for the red wall and finally secure the Brexit benefit the red wall voted for.

If they backslide on the Protocol then it will encourage backsliding on the bonfire bill which imperils their ability to increase the maximum working week and cut health and safety.
  • HYUFD said:

I don't think Rishi is that much of a market fundamentalist. And anyway I don't think he's getting involved, merely offering an opinion. A subtle difference which seems to be lost nowadays.
    Why does he have an opinion? He should stay out of how private companies choose to operate. If they want to be "woke" then that's up to them.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    It stops raining?
    Also possible to buy it in the classic caffs ... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551771-d1484759-Reviews-Nardini_s-Largs_North_Ayrshire_Ayrshire_Scotland.html
    So the gangs have gone posh? :-)

HYUFD said:

Why does he have an opinion? He should stay out of how private companies choose to operate. If they want to be "woke" then that's up to them.
    And should there be a forced silence from politicians if businesses choose to be 'unwoke'?
    How does the SNP leadership election work?

Is is a daily run off like the Tory system, with the last two going to the membership?

HYUFD said:

Censorship isn’t particularly woke.
    But as you say, they bought the rights to the work, and are entitled to make fools of themselves.
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

And should there be a forced silence from politicians if businesses choose to be 'unwoke'?
    Forced ?

That’s even sillier than those figures who appear across the media claiming they’ve been ‘silenced’.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

HYUFD said:

People don’t forfeit the right to express opinions, upon entering politics.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LOL

Kate Peron
    I do have memories of being stuck in the Holiday Inn Express in Motherwell.

It stopped raining briefly, but it was January.
    The ever handy https://taps-aff.co.uk/ is all you need if you come back.
  • ErlyErly Posts: 11
    Carnyx said:

Erly said:

Leon said:

Further thought

Spectator type Unionist Tories are (genuinely) scared of Kate Forbes, partly because she is photogenic, clever, eloquent, Cambridge educated etc

But they are also scared of her because, well, she is a Tory. Church going, quite traditional, and economically truly conservative. A sane Liz Truss in tartan, a Scottish Thatcher, who will run Scotland rather well, increasing the appeal of Indy

But what frightens British Tories might also frighten a lot of Scots, in the opposite direction. We keep being told Scotland is to the left of England. If Forbes becomes FM, that hypothesis will be severely tested

The Tories should be grateful. It was the SNP that put Thatcher in office.

Anyone who thinks Scotland is to the left of England should visit Scotland and educate themselves.

You shouldnn't be;lieve that old canard about the Tories. It was Labour who put Mrs T in office, by being crap, as I well remember. And as Jim Callaghan himself said.
    All 11 SNP MPs voted in favour of Margaret Thatcher's no confidence motion that won by 1 vote and brought down the Labour government. If they hadn't wanted a Tory govt to replace the Labour one, they shouldn't have done that.

If even a single SNP MP had abstained, Thatcher would have lost the vote. They knew what they were doing.

The 40% rule in the Scottish devolution referendum earlier that month was certainly a huge error. I hope there's never another rule of that kind in any future referendum.
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

And CHB was just expressing his.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

HYUFD said:

Kate Forbes would even make me consider voting SNP in an SNP and SLab marginal. I would never have considered voting for any other SNP leader but the socially conservative, economically centre right, pro monarchy Forbes is not a million miles from me, apart from on the Union of course and my being a bit more of a social liberal than she is!

So what you are saying is that she is right wing and a nationalist. Sounds a little ominous
    Only to an idiot
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Forced ?
    Okay let's use the word principled. Is it okay for politicians to ever offer opinions on how businesses operate their affairs?

Presumably unlikely to see anymore candidates beyond the 3 now declared?

I know absolutely nothing about any of them. Will watch with interest, but having seen the last Tory contests, presumably the debate risks feeling quite divisive

You can ignore Humza Useless unless it is fixed.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    DavidL said:

But what is her position on Environmentalism?
    DavidL said:

For sure ,, halfway there already. She will need to be loud and clear on independence though.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Only to an idiot
    I dunno. Johnson serves as a warning.

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

I can’t see any future SNP that would provide a platform for Hanvey, MacAskilll and Tasmina, let alone Eck, so Alba may stagger on as an ego trip if nothing else.
    Unless the next leader is stupid , for Holyrood you want a second string to prevent the London parties winning all eth list seats , only stupidity of Sturgeon with her SNP 1,2 stopped that last time. She preferred having lots of unionists to another indepence parties MSP's. Smart leader required.
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

And CHB was just expressing his.
    With respect I don't think anyone questions whether CHB should be able to air their opinion! It's whether the PM should be able to give his.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    edited February 2023
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Having the right to do something is not the same as it being sensible to exercise that right, or not to expect criticism for doing so.

A PM getting involved in how books are written feels quite off to me, like something one would expect in a very religious or authoritarian state.

Has he not got enough on his plate on more important things anyway?

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Having the right to do something is not the same as it being sensible to exercise that right, or not to expect criticism for doing so.

A PM getting involved in how books are written feels quite off to me, like something one would expect in a very religious or authoritarian state.

Has he not got enough on his plate on more important things anyway?
    The Woke Wars are the most important things for Tories. Just think about the dog in the Dambusters.

DavidL said:

But what is her position on Environmentalism?
    Environmentalism and the Green Party are often strangers it seems to me.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

For sure ,, halfway there already. She will need to be loud and clear on independence though.
    She is clear that’s what she wants in her video. Like almost everybody else who wants it, however, she has no clear idea how it is to be delivered.
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

Unless the next leader is stupid , for Holyrood you want a second string to prevent the London parties winning all eth list seats , only stupidity of Sturgeon with her SNP 1,2 stopped that last time. She preferred having lots of unionists to another indepence parties MSP's. Smart leader required.
    Hi Malc, who will you be backing for the leadership?
  • Nigelb said:

So SKS is a Tory
    Forbes is a Tory
    Karl Marx is a Tory
    etc.

3rd one is a Spcialist.

Other 2 are right wing Socialist haters
    Forbes must have done something against the Absolute Boy if you are comparing her to SKS.
    edited February 2023
    BF:

Forbes 1.89
    Yousaf 3.05
    Regan 6.2

Any views? Anyone betting on this?

I'm tempted to back Regan. I have a cheeky £1 on Cherry at 100.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Forced ?
    Okay let's use the word principled. Is it okay for politicians to ever offer opinions on how businesses operate their affairs?
    Sure it is.
    I think in this case, Sunak’s opinion is just irrelevant pandering to a particular audience, but no reason he can’t do that.

I took CHB’s comment as his opinion on what Sunak ought to do, which is also fair enough.
  • Erly said:

Carnyx said:

Erly said:

Leon said:

Further thought

Spectator type Unionist Tories are (genuinely) scared of Kate Forbes, partly because she is photogenic, clever, eloquent, Cambridge educated etc

But they are also scared of her because, well, she is a Tory. Church going, quite traditional, and economically truly conservative. A sane Liz Truss in tartan, a Scottish Thatcher, who will run Scotland rather well, increasing the appeal of Indy

But what frightens British Tories might also frighten a lot of Scots, in the opposite direction. We keep being told Scotland is to the left of England. If Forbes becomes FM, that hypothesis will be severely tested

The Tories should be grateful. It was the SNP that put Thatcher in office.

Anyone who thinks Scotland is to the left of England should visit Scotland and educate themselves.

You shouldnn't be;lieve that old canard about the Tories. It was Labour who put Mrs T in office, by being crap, as I well remember. And as Jim Callaghan himself said.
    All 11 SNP MPs voted in favour of Margaret Thatcher's no confidence motion that won by 1 vote and brought down the Labour government. If they hadn't wanted a Tory govt to replace the Labour one, they shouldn't have done that.

If even a single SNP MP had abstained, Thatcher would have lost the vote. They knew what they were doing.

The 40% rule in the Scottish devolution referendum earlier that month was certainly a huge error. I hope there's never another rule of that kind in any future referendum.
    Just as if even a single Liberal MP had abstained, Thatcher would have lost the vote. They seem to have a habit of besmirching themselves with cooperating with Tories though.

Strategically 11 years of Thatcher after Labour fcking about with the devolution bill was probably the best thing ever for indy, though I'm not crediting Gordon Wilson with any foresight. There'll never be a Feeble Fifty let alone a Feeble Forty again.
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

I can see some Alba top liners being tempted back by Forbes. And running a mile from Yousaf.
  • For any who haven’t seen Forbes’ video - worth a watch:

https://twitter.com/_KateForbes/status/1627624249069371392?s=20
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

Ooh, so they did tip off the Russkies. The official ones at least.

Fair play to everyone involved in that operation, impressive that they were prepared to do things so differently to the very tight and paranoid movement of the President that usually happens.
This discussion has been closed.