Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097

TimS said:

nico679 said:

Leaving the ECHR would breach the Good Friday Agreement but I suppose with this disgusting cesspit of a government nothing stands in the way of appealing to the Daily Hate !

They’ll never manage actually to do it before the next election so we needn’t worry.

When I say worry, as a comfortable middle class type I don’t mean worry about my own human rights, but about the prospect of us being thought utter twats, wankers and shits by the rest of the civilised world. And ending up in the same reputational slop bucket as Saudi, Qatar, Turkmenistan and friends. I know some - evidently including Sunak - don’t worry about that stuff, they probably never felt embarrassed by English football hooligans abroad either, but for most of us it’s suboptimal.
    I don't think we should leave the convention, but I am unsure as to why its tenets cannot be upheld by a British court, given that we are no longer in the EU.
    You do know that the ECHR has no connection to the EU, right?
    I am aware that there isn't a formal link.
    Yes there is. Via the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,666
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I kind of thought that the entire country had signed up to a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment and were willing to pretend that Truss was never PM on the basis that it is frankly embarrassing. Did no one tell her?

Apparently the silly cow seems to believe that she has the right to free speech.
    That would be fine if she had something interesting or meaningful to say.
    That’s not a requirement for free speech.
    On the other hand neither is the universal offer of the front page of the Telegraph for anyone who wishes to publish their deluded apologia.
    She isn't just anyone. Truss is the woman thought by Tories as the best to lead the country.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    I agree with @OnlyLivingBoy, there’s nothing wrong with Liz Truss writing a 4000 word essay.

In fact, it’s a good thing.

Can you imagine Cameron writing a 4000 word essay?

I cant read it, because obviously I’m not retarded enough to pay for a Telegraph sub.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Breaking news - 40 year old Sasha Walpole revealed as the woman who took Prince Harry's virginity in a Wiltshire field
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713609/Im-older-woman-took-Harrys-virginity-Digger-driver-Sasha-Walpole-40-comes-forward.html

It only gets a passing sentence or two in the book.

She was 19 and he 16 at the time, so "older woman" is technically true, but a little misleading.

It doesn't seem widely commented on that Harry was a regular at the pub at the age of 16.
    It was a more easygoing age. I was a regular at a pub at 16. It was probably a different sort of pub, but still.
    I'm a big supporter of underage drinking in pubs. Let 16 year olds learn adulting by pretending to be adults in an adult environment under the supervision of adults who will pretend that they are adults if they behave like adults. Better than hanging round a park with a canister of laughing gas or moping about online.

The other thing that occurs to me suddenly about this instance is - obviously I haven't read it - but was Harry trying to paint himself as a victim here? Sounds a perfectly agreeable situation for a 16 year old to find himself in. He's addicted to victimhood.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    DJ41a said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I kind of thought that the entire country had signed up to a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment and were willing to pretend that Truss was never PM on the basis that it is frankly embarrassing. Did no one tell her?

Apparently the silly cow seems to believe that she has the right to free speech.
    Another one who has read the essay - do tell us more.
    I have;you do realise it is available online? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/

"ChatGPT: write a completely airheaded 4,000 word defence of Liz Truss's PMship in her own voice, in a way which leaves the reader itching to smite her repeatedly in the face with a lump hammer."

All the fault of those eevul LDI investment strategies.
    I don't have a Telegraph subscription.
    Use archive.is.

Like this: https://archive.is/RgJma
    Thanks!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229

I agree with @OnlyLivingBoy, there’s nothing wrong with Liz Truss writing a 4000 word essay.

I cant read it, because obviously I’m not retarded enough to pay for a Telegraph sub.

You think Truss WROTE it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On the other hand neither is the universal offer of the front page of the Telegraph for anyone who wishes to publish their deluded apologia.
    She isn't just anyone. Truss is the woman thought by Tories as the best to lead the country.
    Yes, but they are supposed to be a newspaper, rather than the ConHome magazine.
    A brief note on the front page under the headline “Non, je ne regrette pas trop” might have sufficed, with the other 3800 words on the opinion pages.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Leaving the ECHR would breach the Good Friday Agreement but I suppose with this disgusting cesspit of a government nothing stands in the way of appealing to the Daily Hate !

2003: Blair warning on rights treaty

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jan/27/immigration.immigrationandpublicservices

Tony Blair yesterday held out the prospect of Britain withdrawing from its obligations under the European convention on human rights if its latest wave of asylum reforms failed to stem the flow of unfounded asylum seekers.
    I would have slated him aswell. And the UK would be in breach of the GFA . The whole thing by Sunak is a cynical election ploy and this will end up in the Tory manifesto .
    One day in desperation the Tory party will propose a referendum on capital punishment.

We remember Major almost fondly now, but his fag end government of the mid 90s once they knew they were likely to lose started proposing all sorts of nonsense. It was in that twilight period they nationalised the trains for example.
    I predicted a string em up referendum several years ago. It is absolutely the logical play for the Tories to resurrect the election winning Brexit coalition.
    Priti would on day 1 if she ever became PM
    Priti’s surely relatively one of the old school liberal Tory wets now we have Suella in post. She might even propose executions be conducted in a humane way for heavens sake.
    Though if the Parole Board start releasing serial killers like this and they go on to kill again, the case for capital punishment will reopen

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713743/Serial-killer-Patrick-Mackay-grilled-Parole-Board-safe-freed-freed.html
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No, she is the woman thought by the Tories as better than Rishi Sunak at leading the country.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I have;you do realise it is available online? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/

"ChatGPT: write a completely airheaded 4,000 word defence of Liz Truss's PMship in her own voice, in a way which leaves the reader itching to smite her repeatedly in the face with a lump hammer."

You’re welcome: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You’re welcome: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/
    TY - DJ14 had hacked it already so I had read it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Breaking news - 40 year old Sasha Walpole revealed as the woman who took Prince Harry's virginity in a Wiltshire field
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713609/Im-older-woman-took-Harrys-virginity-Digger-driver-Sasha-Walpole-40-comes-forward.html

It only gets a passing sentence or two in the book.

She was 19 and he 16 at the time, so "older woman" is technically true, but a little misleading.

It doesn't seem widely commented on that Harry was a regular at the pub at the age of 16.
    It was a more easygoing age. I was a regular at a pub at 16. It was probably a different sort of pub, but still.
    I'm a big supporter of underage drinking in pubs. Let 16 year olds learn adulting by pretending to be adults in an adult environment under the supervision of adults who will pretend that they are adults if they behave like adults. Better than hanging round a park with a canister of laughing gas or moping about online.

The other thing that occurs to me suddenly about this instance is - obviously I haven't read it - but was Harry trying to paint himself as a victim here? Sounds a perfectly agreeable situation for a 16 year old to find himself in. He's addicted to victimhood.
    Many country side pubs survived by allowing a certain amount of underage drinking. First night I was in Malmesbury, a pub was being closed for excessive numbers of underage drinkers. Since the landlord has lost his license, it was a pretty unrestrained evening.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Tres said:

I don’t know. She might have done. But even if she’d didn’t, she approved a 4000 word exegesis. That’s fine. We need more of this.

I’m going to read it thanks to the links just posted.

In the meantime I read Harwood’s blog post which is too long, but actually makes some valid points, even if I take exception to the overall thrust.

And it reminds us that Sunak has no interest in growth or supply side reform, or really anything, because he is a fundamentally incurious bureaucrat.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    The EU UK deal incorporates a section on co-operation in law enforcement and security . That ceases if the UK leaves the ECHR.

So it’s not just NI that gets impacted .
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    Andy_JS said:
    Nah, hoisted by her own petard.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201

Tres said:

I don’t know. She might have done. But even if she’d didn’t, she approved a 4000 word exegesis. That’s fine. We need more of this.

I’m going to read it thanks to the links just posted.

In the meantime I read Harwood’s blog post which is too long, but actually makes some valid points, even if I take exception to the overall thrust.

And it reminds us that Sunak has no interest in growth or supply side reform, or really anything, because he is a fundamentally incurious bureaucrat.
    Rather an incurious bureaucrat than a self-serving duplicitous music hall act.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I read the Truss piece.

She seems to think she was brought down by a combination of bad timing (the LDI issue), Treasury orthodoxy, and “the blob”.

All of this is to some extent true but it misses her own significant responsibility.

She concedes that her communications were poor, but she seems not to have understood WHY her budget landed so badly, namely that it was unfunded with a fuck-you tax cut for the richest on top.

Nevertheless, it’s worth a read.
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    Google's image today at its main website is of the Lantern Festival that marks the full moon halfway through the first month of the Chinese year. A Chinese lantern is basically a type of hot air balloon.

The company references the...Taiwan Lantern Festival in particular. Subtle.

Its page with a longer blurb on it does mention China, though. It also explains that "some lanterns even contain riddles."

But will the US government share with the world what they read in the riddle?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    edited February 2023

I read the Truss piece.

She seems to think she was brought down by a combination of bad timing (the LDI issue), Treasury orthodoxy, and “the blob”.

All of this is to some extent true but it misses her own significant responsibility.

She concedes that her communications were poor, but she seems not to have understood WHY her budget landed so badly, namely that it was unfunded with a fuck-you tax cut for the richest on top.

Nevertheless, it’s worth a read.

Thanks for link.... she is swivel-eyed.... but thats what the membership love - the more outrageous the better (as BJ aptly demonstrated)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    She is just a weird wannabee free marketeer who doesn't understand that global credit markets are not the left wing economic establishment or the blob.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2023
    Liz probably did have the right idea but she's basically a weirdo who couldn't communicate for toffee and (along with Kwasi) may or may not have been cocked up in September 2022.

When the Conservatives are in opposition what will happen ultimately is someone will take forwards Trussenomics but that person will be sane, rational and (hopefully) not on hard core drugs. That person will also be able to communicate with GBP and form a nice coalition of voters in 2029.

Step forward Kemi?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    GIN1138 said:

Liz probably did have the right idea but she's basically a weirdo who couldn't communicate for toffee and (along with Kwasi) may or may not have been cocked up in September 2022.

When the Conservatives are in opposition what will happen ultimately is someone will take forwards Trussenomics but that person will be sane, rational and (hopefully) not on hard core drugs. That person will also be able to communicate with GBP and form a nice coalition of voters in 2029.

Step forward Kemi?

`hanging on' for something to turn up and boost the electoral fortunes of the Conservatives makes the next 18 months a serious drag, dulls political debate and puts back even further the renewal the Party increasingly wants...to me it all feels a bit 1995-6 (major war on in Europe's East, Conservative MPs all fighting, sleaze galore, Royal Family getting all the wrong attention) and a limp Tory PM trying to cling on....
This discussion has been closed.