Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    Tres said:

Cash is absolutely pointless.

Who uses it, ever?

I use it, to pay for goods and services.
    Cash does have the advantage of not leaking 1.75% in 'transaction fees' from the vendor's receipts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

She is as thick as mince.
    Self reflection is clearly not her strong suit. CorrectHorse is, well, correct on this one.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,607

So MoonRabbit is officially a Tory now, glad she's not hiding it anymore. TWO OF YOU!

🥱 . .
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,535
    Conhome is a strange place isn't it? I've visited a couple of times to see if they have any insights into the absence of a new party chairman, and there is a deafening silence on the issue. Now Truss's essay appears in the Telegraph; there's nothing on that either. I used to visit a bit in the IDS era - I'm sure it used to be kept a bit more up to date then.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Poor thing ! Truss needs help as she’s clearly delusional. Why on earth are the Telegraph giving her this air-time . No one cares what she has to say .

The Telegraph gave up trying to be a proper newspaper quite a while ago.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    Scott_xP said:

She's still got it.

The necklace, that is.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

That’s unfair.
    I’ve known shepherds pies with considerably more self awareness.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Like Joan of Arc against the English brave Liz fought valiantly against the Big State, Big Government establishment and for tax cuts for businesses and workers.

Sunak and Starmer may have won the battle but as St Joan became a martyr for the Catholic Church and France, St Liz will become a martyr for hedge fund managers and private equity firms and wealthy entrepreneurs, rewarded with an eternal fat paycheque at a US think tank!
    Is Liz also hearing voices?
    The voice of the Archangel Maggie?
    The Blessed Margaret would have been appalled by unfunded tax cuts.
    Or St Ronnie the Martyr
  • Options

nico679 said:

Poor thing ! Truss needs help as she’s clearly delusional. Why on earth are the Telegraph giving her this air-time . No one cares what she has to say .

Even when the Daily Telegraph was a reasonably proper paper, the Sunday edition was pretty out there- as if Peter Simple was writing the whole thing, instead of one satirical column.

God knows what it must be like now. Though publishing Truss's screed uncritically is probably a fair indication.
  • Options
    Even if Truss were right about the left wing economic establishment taking her down, it doesn't argue against her incompetence, since presumably said establishment seeks to take down every Tory PM, and yet she couldn't even last 2 months.

It cannot be that previous Tory PMs were pursuring left wing economic policies, since she happily served in all of their governments.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

That’s unfair.
    I’ve known shepherds pies with considerably more self awareness.

Perhaps they could teach ChatGPT a few things.
  • Options
    ping said:

Hmm.

I can’t read Truss’s tele piece beyond the headline, right now, but I have read Tom Harwood’s substack article, defending Truss;

https://tomharwood.substack.com/p/no-trussism-was-never-really-tried

One point that I do think has some truth to it is that the unlimited energy price guarantee was insane - and it was undoubtedly a key factor in her financial/political melt down.

This is just about the only point I agree with him on.

The rest of the article and the Truss narrative is garbage. The bit on investment zones allowing the nimby shires to be left in peace is deeply cynical - almost colonial. It all makes sense to these people who live in the shires to choose bits of the country where they can invest and deregulate, screw the consequences.

It’s a sickening, rotten, hypocritical and deeply unbritish mindset that has hollowed out the Tory party since the 70’s.

The party membership seems to now consist of little lords of the manor.

I want these fuckers politically destroyed.

They care nothing for our country.

Tom Harwood is a terrible journalist. Why is he in a job?
  • Options

nico679 said:

I am interested to hear how a 4000 word essay from a former PM, the first since leaving office, is not fit content for a proper newspaper.
  • Options

Tres said:

Who uses it, ever?

Cash does have the advantage of not leaking 1.75% in 'transaction fees' from the vendor's receipts.
    It does when said vendor pays it into their business bank account.
  • Options
    ping said:

Hmm.

I can’t read Truss’s tele piece beyond the headline, right now, but I have read Tom Harwood’s substack article, defending Truss;

One point that I do think has some truth to it is that the unlimited energy price guarantee was insane - and it was undoubtedly a key factor in her financial/political melt down.

The rest of the article and the Truss narrative is garbage. The bit on investment zones allowing the nimby shires to be left in peace is deeply cynical - almost colonial. It all makes sense to these people who live in the shires to choose bits of the country where they can invest and deregulate, screw the locals who are left to deal with the consequences.

It’s a sickening, rotten, hypocritical and deeply unbritish mindset that has hollowed out the Tory party since the 70’s.

I thought his article was a good read, I think @Gardenwalker might enjoy it.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,239

nico679 said:

I am interested to hear how a 4000 word essay from a former PM, the first since leaving office, is not fit content for a proper newspaper.
    It's not exactly showing a deep and thoughtful re-evaluation of her 49 day tenure is it?
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023
    Balloon background: top item in the South China Morning Post (world's most important pro-Beijing English-language newspaper): "US-Philippines military bases deal seen as reaction to China’s moves in South China Sea over past decade":

"The United States is boosting its military presence across Asia, with more troops and assets to be deployed to counter Beijing.

Observers said the moves would affect China’s defensive posture within the first island chain, which runs from Japan to the Malay peninsula and includes Taiwan, and offer US allies in the region more certainty when resisting Beijing.

In a breakthrough on Thursday, the US and the Philippines agreed that the US would have access to four new bases in the Southeast Asian nation, adding to the five the US could already use to train servicemen and position equipment under a bilateral defence cooperation pact signed in 2014.
    "

Everyone talks about Kenny Everett, but nobody remembers his crazy brother Lenny. It was Lenny who famously shouted "And let's bomb China too!" after the moderate one in the family shouted "Let's bomb Russia!"

According to legend, Lenny got even louder applause at the Tory conference.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Who uses cash? In Washington state, anyone who buys from our legal marijuana shops. (It's legal in the state, but not nationally, so they can't take credit and debit cards.) I suppose the same is true in other states that have legalized it.

(One consequence is that the marijuana shops here are frequent targets for robbers, since they can have so much cash on hand. Recently I saw such a shop in a small town you may have heard of -- Redmond -- and it had steel bars protecting the windows and, I imagine, other protections. I was tempted to take a photo, but decided those inside might not like that.)

For the record, I prefer to use cash for small purchases. In the past, $200 was my usual threshold; now it is closer to $20. Of course there are some places which do not take cash. One reason for my change is the rebate I get on every credit card purchase. Essentailly, my bank loans me money every month -- and pays me interest on the loan.

I agree that such a system is crazy -- and supported by those who don't pay the entire bill regularly -- but I didn't design the system. And I encourage everyone to take advantage of it, as I do.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Even when the Daily Telegraph was a reasonably proper paper, the Sunday edition was pretty out there- as if Peter Simple was writing the whole thing, instead of one satirical column.

God knows what it must be like now. Though publishing Truss's screed uncritically is probably a fair indication.
    I think both of you should stop bedwetting about this - this isn't Prince Andrew in a bath, it's a scoop - any broadsheet would have published it in its entirety.

She's borrowed some gravitas from somewhere for the photos too - they're good.
  • Options

ping said:

Hmm.

The rest of the article and the Truss narrative is garbage. The bit on investment zones allowing the nimby shires to be left in peace is deeply cynical - almost colonial. It all makes sense to these people who live in the shires to choose bits of the country where they can invest and deregulate, screw the consequences.

He may be a good commentator/pundit, at least for his target audience. Journalistic credentials are not required.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,000
    edited February 2023

ping said:

Hmm.

He's under 30, unwoke and Conservative who wants the gig. Whilst not being openly racist.
    He was pretty much the only applicant for the "Voice of Sensible Youth" for the over 55's retired leisurely breakfast harrumph demographic.
  • Options
    Tres said:

nico679 said:

It's not exactly showing a deep and thoughtful re-evaluation of her 49 day tenure is it?
    I haven't read it; perhaps you have and can enlighten me.

However, given that it is written by Truss, I don't see how her failing to don the sackcloth and ashes is a reflection on the Telegraph's status as a 'proper newspaper' as per PTP's absurd comment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He may be a good commentator/pundit, at least for his target audience. Journalistic credentials are not required.
    Plus he looks good on TV and is articulate and says what his GB news audience wants to hear
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He's under 30, unwoke and Conservative who wants the gig. Whilst not being openly racist.
    He was pretty much the only applicant for the "Voice of Sensible Youth" for the over 55's breakfast harrumph demographic.
    He is openly gay and pro trans, he is economically right but socially liberal
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    edited February 2023
    dixiedean said:

She's wearing the necklace I see.

She was bound to be.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313

nico679 said:

Not when the premise is the same failed old bollocks that scythed her down in the first place. We've already seen for ourselves her ideological narrative was garbage.

The Telegraph has moved from being a serious centre right journal to a fanzine for the swivel eyed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

Hmm.

Plus he looks good on TV and is articulate and says what his GB news audience wants to hear
    This is a substack article. You don't need to be an employed journo to write articles on there anyway do you?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He was pretty much the only applicant for the "Voice of Sensible Youth" for the over 55's breakfast harrumph demographic.
    He's just young.
    Not implying all trans people are potential rapists doesn't Woke make.
  • Options

Who uses it, ever?

I bought a new bathroom tap with cash just today :)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,996
    So Sunak now wants to pull the UK out of the ECHR . I expect the low information mob will be cheering this as they fail to realize that their rights are going down the toilet not just those of the “ boat people “.

• Options

The Telegraph has moved from being a serious centre right journal to a fanzine for the swivel eyed.

Tbf most newspapers have moved to being fanzines for their own specific flavours of swivel-eyed.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

nico679 said:

I think both of you should stop bedwetting about this - this isn't Prince Andrew in a bath, it's a scoop - any broadsheet would have published it in its entirety.

She's borrowed some gravitas from somewhere for the photos too - they're good.
    What's your analysis of the photo on the front page? I couldn't make much out because of the low resolution. An aeroplane (is it military?), a giraffe by a planet being grabbed in a big claw, some ball things to the left? Book titles?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

I don't know a great deal about Harwood but he would seem to fulfil the chameleon like characteristics to curry favour with the movers and shakers who currently hold possession of the political bat and ball in conservative circles.

The Conservative Party and it's facilitators in the press are just character actors in an implausible soap opera.
  • Options

Tbf most newspapers have moved to being fanzines for their own specific flavours of swivel-eyed.
    When did they move?
    It's been that way all my life.
    Occasionally some of them were in touch with the zeitgeist, but it's always been so.
    The heavy slant to pro-Tory is hugely out of touch, but it's always been the same.
  • Options
    We really do have some ideologically crazed nutbags on this site. I think Sunak is a crap PM, but I certainly am not going to get catty about a newspaper for daring to publish a Sunak-penned essay on his time in office, marking his first public statement for 100 days after his exit. All because he's NOT SORRY ENOUGH.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378
    I kind of thought that the entire country had signed up to a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment and were willing to pretend that Truss was never PM on the basis that it is frankly embarrassing. Did no one tell her?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

I don't know a great deal about Harwood but he would seem to fulfil the chameleon like characteristics to curry favour with the movers and shakers who currently hold possession of the political bat and ball in conservative circles.

The Conservative Party and it's facilitators in the press are just character actors in an implausible soap opera.
    Confused? You will be.
    One for the kids.
  • Options
    Leaving the ECHR would breach the Good Friday Agreement but I suppose with this disgusting cesspit of a government nothing stands in the way of appealing to the Daily Hate !
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    edited February 2023

Tres said:

Who uses it, ever?

Cash is also easier for petty criminals to steal from a business, and potentially puts employees at risk if they have to take a lot of cash to the bank after closing.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,607
    edited February 2023

So MoonRabbit is officially a Tory now, glad she's not hiding it anymore. TWO OF YOU!

This Is a site we can calmly share and discuss idea’s, thoughts, fancies. There’s no call for your constant name calling. If I make a cocktail each time you call me a Tory everyday, I’ll go to bed drunk!
    I often do anyway, but that’s not the point.

Firstly, expressing the nurses could and should get a better offer than the mooted “Drakeford” solution is hardly the most Tory of positions.

Secondly, we have PB consensus for weeks, the popular strikes are hurting Tory popularity, so for me to ask us poll watchers, might the government settling and ending strike crisis lessen some dead weight holding Tory polling down, is hardly spin or Tory ramping.

Thirdly, your garbage earlier, I agreed with the Truss position that there’s been too much outsourcing of decisions, to economists at BoE and OBR for example, so my having that same idea as Truss de facto makes me not just a Tory, but a flaky right wing one?

Horse! It’s presented scientifically as the only way of doing it, but you must remember politics is the pursuit of an interest, an ideology.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKTrKF94f4

You need to engage your brain with the idea’s people are sharing, for less leaping in and attacking them,

I’ve never voted Tory. I don’t spin or ramp for the Tories on here. Now Go wash your mouth out.

Considering yourself ticked off 😠
    And one for you too Mex Pet 😠

Don’t expect a reply, I’m working in my Sunday school lesson. Proverbs 29:9-11

PS have Opinium given up on polling in favour of campaigning for a woker world? Ipsos Mori my favourite pollster now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,806

Scott_xP said:

The response to Liz's comeback is almost as universal as the response to her initial implosion

The country is on its knees and the official Conservative Party collective are naval gazing to ascertain with which failed former Prime Minister they should replace Sunak.

Two egomaniacs with not a thought for the welfare of the citizens of this country, just stroking their own egos by constructing banal fantasies in anticipation of defenestrating their successor.

It's just a game. Put Mrs May in charge to piss them both off!
    Very much the "stab in the back" so beloved of conspiracy theorists.

It won't be long before Tory factions go the full Q-Anon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I kind of thought that the entire country had signed up to a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment and were willing to pretend that Truss was never PM on the basis that it is frankly embarrassing. Did no one tell her?

Apparently the silly cow seems to believe that she has the right to free speech.
  • Options

Who uses it, ever?

I bought a new bathroom tap with cash just today :)
    I gave some coins to a street performer with a rather good voice today. It has its uses.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

She's wearing the necklace I see.

She was bound to be.
    Tied up by ideological conservatism.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Apparently the silly cow seems to believe that she has the right to free speech.
    That would be fine if she had something interesting or meaningful to say.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Certainly the Tory cheerleaders were very keen to skip over her brief tenure as a bad dream. It wasn't though, the membership are as batshit crazy as the fruitcake herself.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

When did they move?
    It's been that way all my life.
    Occasionally some of them were in touch with the zeitgeist, but it's always been so.
    The heavy slant to pro-Tory is hugely out of touch, but it's always been the same.
    Well, not unreasonable comment, yes. Perhaps what I mean is moved ever more to more polarised and more specific demographics/targets.

Which happened when you could get free and more up-to-date news on the internet, so the only reason to pay to read the stuff in day old newspapers was because the editorials and stories agreed 100% with your world-view.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Another one who has read the essay - do tell us more.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,760
    Watching
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He was pretty much the only applicant for the "Voice of Sensible Youth" for the over 55's retired leisurely breakfast harrumph demographic.
    He’s not that bad as right wing demagogues go. Look at Fox News and be grateful our right wing still think someone like Tom Harwood os sufficient.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The response to Liz's comeback is almost as universal as the response to her initial implosion

The country is on its knees and the official Conservative Party collective are naval gazing to ascertain with which failed former Prime Minister they should replace Sunak.

Two egomaniacs with not a thought for the welfare of the citizens of this country, just stroking their own egos by constructing banal fantasies in anticipation of defenestrating their successor.

It's just a game. Put Mrs May in charge to piss them both off!
    Very much the "stab in the back" so beloved of conspiracy theorists.

It won't be long before Tory factions go the full Q-Anon.
    I fear that will be the reaction to a heavy Tory defeat.
    I don't want that. I desire a sensible Labour government, vigorously opposed by a sensible centre right alternative.
    Just noticed. We have a Family Hub. At the site of the defunct Sure Start centre. After a long hiatus.
    What's wrong with admitting closing them was a serious error?
  • Options

DavidL said:

She also has the equally valuable right, not to exercise that right.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,134
    edited February 2023
    nico679 said:

Leaving the ECHR would breach the Good Friday Agreement but I suppose with this disgusting cesspit of a government nothing stands in the way of appealing to the Daily Hate !

2003: Blair warning on rights treaty

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jan/27/immigration.immigrationandpublicservices

Tony Blair yesterday held out the prospect of Britain withdrawing from its obligations under the European convention on human rights if its latest wave of asylum reforms failed to stem the flow of unfounded asylum seekers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Certainly the Tory cheerleaders were very keen to skip over her brief tenure as a bad dream. It wasn't though, the membership are as batshit crazy as the fruitcake herself.
    This is what is called a flaw. Or a design feature. I am not sure.
  • Options

DavidL said:

She also has the equally valuable right, not to exercise that right.
    And we have the valuable right to mock her.
  • Options

We really do have some ideologically crazed nutbags on this site. I think Sunak is a crap PM, but I certainly am not going to get catty about a newspaper for daring to publish a Sunak-penned essay on his time in office, marking his first public statement for 100 days after his exit. All because he's NOT SORRY ENOUGH.

Have you given any thought to the concept of picking your battles?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

nico679 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jan/27/immigration.immigrationandpublicservices

Tony Blair yesterday held out the prospect of Britain withdrawing from its obligations under the European convention on human rights if its latest wave of asylum reforms failed to stem the flow of unfounded asylum seekers.
    Twenty years ago, and the system is in as much of a mess as ever, with the politicians talking about the same non-solutions as ever. I'm talking about refugee policy, but I could be talking about almost any area of public policy.
  • Options

I speak as I find.
  • Options

This Is a site we can calmly share and discuss idea’s, thoughts, fancies. There’s no call for your constant name calling. If I make a cocktail each time you call me a Tory everyday, I’ll go to bed drunk!
    I often do anyway, but that’s not the point.

Firstly, expressing the nurses could and should get a better offer than the mooted “Drakeford” solution is hardly the most Tory of positions.

Secondly, we have PB consensus for weeks, the popular strikes are hurting Tory popularity, so for me to ask us poll watchers, might the government settling and ending strike crisis lessen some dead weight holding Tory polling down, is hardly spin or Tory ramping.

Thirdly, your garbage earlier, I agreed with the Truss position that there’s been too much outsourcing of decisions, to economists at BoE and OBR for example, so my having that same idea as Truss de facto makes me not just a Tory, but a flaky right wing one?

Horse! It’s presented scientifically as the only way of doing it, but you must remember politics is the pursuit of an interest, an ideology.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKTrKF94f4

You need to engage your brain with the idea’s people are sharing, for less leaping in and attacking them,

I’ve never voted Tory. I don’t spin or ramp for the Tories on here. Now Go wash your mouth out.

Considering yourself ticked off 😠
    And one for you too Mex Pet 😠

Don’t expect a reply, I’m working in my Sunday school lesson. Proverbs 29:9-11

PS have Opinium given up on polling in favour of campaigning for a woker world? Ipsos Mori my favourite pollster now.
    As promised this morning Moon Unit, I tried to comprehend one of your novellas, but you lost me after "This is a site". I promise I'll try harder next time.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

They’ll never manage actually to do it before the next election so we needn’t worry.

When I say worry, as a comfortable middle class type I don’t mean worry about my own human rights, but about the prospect of us being thought utter twats, wankers and shits by the rest of the civilised world. And ending up in the same reputational slop bucket as Saudi, Qatar, Turkmenistan and friends. I know some - evidently including Sunak - don’t worry about that stuff, they probably never felt embarrassed by English football hooligans abroad either, but for most of us it’s suboptimal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

This is what is called a flaw. Or a design feature. I am not sure.
    In mitigation, I should like to point out that my parents are Tory members and voted Truss, because Sunak said in one debate that he would probably be in California if not an MP. They took it as lack of commitment to the country.
  • Options

Who uses it, ever?

I bought my fortnightly shop with cash today. It's not something I do very often though and I suspect the cashier hadn't seen it for a while either as she gave me the wrong change!
  • Options

nico679 said:

I would have slated him aswell. And the UK would be in breach of the GFA . The whole thing by Sunak is a cynical election ploy and this will end up in the Tory manifesto .
  • Options
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

They’ll never manage actually to do it before the next election so we needn’t worry.

When I say worry, as a comfortable middle class type I don’t mean worry about my own human rights, but about the prospect of us being thought utter twats, wankers and shits by the rest of the civilised world. And ending up in the same reputational slop bucket as Saudi, Qatar, Turkmenistan and friends. I know some - evidently including Sunak - don’t worry about that stuff, they probably never felt embarrassed by English football hooligans abroad either, but for most of us it’s suboptimal.
    I don't think we should leave the convention, but I am unsure as to why its tenets cannot be upheld by a British court, given that we are no longer in the EU.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I would have slated him aswell. And the UK would be in breach of the GFA . The whole thing by Sunak is a cynical election ploy and this will end up in the Tory manifesto .
    It's not true that it would breach the GFA. The GFA only relates to Northern Ireland law, which is a separate jurisdiction.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

One day in desperation the Tory party will propose a referendum on capital punishment.

We remember Major almost fondly now, but his fag end government of the mid 90s once they knew they were likely to lose started proposing all sorts of nonsense. It was in that twilight period they nationalised the trains for example.
  • Options

TimS said:

nico679 said:

I don't think we should leave the convention, but I am unsure as to why its tenets cannot be upheld by a British court, given that we are no longer in the EU.
    You do know that the ECHR has no connection to the EU, right?
  • Options
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

One day in desperation the Tory party will propose a referendum on capital punishment.

We remember Major almost fondly now, but his fag end government of the mid 90s once they knew they were likely to lose started proposing all sorts of nonsense. It was in that twilight period they nationalised the trains for example.
    I predicted a string em up referendum several years ago. It is absolutely the logical play for the Tories to resurrect the election winning Brexit coalition.
  • Options
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Privatised the trains I think.
  • Options
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Privatised you mean
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I have;you do realise it is available online? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/

"ChatGPT: write a completely airheaded 4,000 word defence of Liz Truss's PMship in her own voice, in a way which leaves the reader itching to smite her repeatedly in the face with a lump hammer."

All the fault of those eevul LDI investment strategies.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Watching

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He’s not that bad as right wing demagogues go. Look at Fox News and be grateful our right wing still think someone like Tom Harwood os sufficient.
    We're just a little less far down the road than the US is in this regard. Give us time, I'm sure we can catch up.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Who uses it, ever?

• Most people use it sometimes.

• Everyone who is well prepared for prolonged power blackouts (and bank failures) keeps a wedge, the same way they've stocked up on car fuel, food, etc.

• Violent knuckledragging football "fans" who want to inflict nasty injuries on opposing teams' goalkeepers keep a few of the heavier coins.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I have been considering exactly the same today. If power is the only ambition it's an easy win. Executing nonces and terrorists? What could possibly go wrong. Stefan Kischko and the Birmingham Six say "hi".

Edit, and of course it would be a big Brexit "bonus".
  • Options

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I predicted a string em up referendum several years ago. It is absolutely the logical play for the Tories to resurrect the election winning Brexit coalition.
    Priti would on day 1 if she ever became PM
  • Options
    The GFA includes the provision that all people in NI can go to the ECHR to protect their rights .

Any removal of that right beaches the agreement. So is this like Brexit repeated when warnings were given and people didn’t give a fig about the impact there .
  • Options

TimS said:

nico679 said:

ECHR is not an EU institution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

Do we really think the government feel co strained by Strasbourg in implementing their policies? Of course not, but do they spot an electoral tactic that might shore up the base? Hell yeah.

A party in permanent campaign, not yet as bad as its cross Atlantic crushes in the GOP but getting there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Priti’s surely relatively one of the old school liberal Tory wets now we have Suella in post. She might even propose executions be conducted in a humane way for heavens sake.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Privatised you mean
    Oh. Yes, privatised.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

ECHR is not an EU institution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

Do we really think the government feel co strained by Strasbourg in implementing their policies? Of course not, but do they spot an electoral tactic that might shore up the base? Hell yeah.

A party in permanent campaign, not yet as bad as its cross Atlantic crushes in the GOP but getting there.
    The precedent is New Labour, not the GOP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Of course you would have double bubble in that it would also really piss of the Guardianistas
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"I was always right. It was everyone else's fault."

(edited for length)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,959
    nico679 said:

The GFA includes the provision that all people in NI can go to the ECHR to protect their rights .

Any removal of that right beaches the agreement. So is this like Brexit repeated when warnings were given and people didn’t give a fig about the impact there .

People (meaning the likes of the ERG) only give a stuff about NI when it suits their cause. Otherwise it's just handwaved away along with every other 'detail' that is just talking the new, free, amazing situation down.

Another billion or so wafted in the direction of the DUP might make it all seem fine. And really, wafting a few billion here and there to shore up support is the important thing, surely?
  • Options

ping said:

Hmm.

Because the Telegraph is a terrible newspaper.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

TimS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Or a repeal of the provisions enacted in the Race Relations Act 1968 (subsequently superseded) which their hero made his famous "blood" speech about.

They're already halfway there, with the questioning of whether "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" signs really were widespread. (They definitely were.) Ending racial discrimination in housing was one of the main provisions of the bill that their hero opposed so memorably.

But you're right - it could be string 'em up.

Unfortunately the argument in favour of repealing some of the most important legislation of the 1960s that runs "So you're in favour of letting men wearing dresses into women's changing rooms then?" has a lot of mileage among the most boneheaded Brexit voters.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    The Sun and The Mail have the same exclusive.

And it seems a bit questionable to describe an 18 year old as an 'older woman'.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I have;you do realise it is available online? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-downing-street-reflection-mini-budget-boris-johnson/

"ChatGPT: write a completely airheaded 4,000 word defence of Liz Truss's PMship in her own voice, in a way which leaves the reader itching to smite her repeatedly in the face with a lump hammer."

I don't have a Telegraph subscription.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Hmm.

He's just young.
    Not implying all trans people are potential rapists doesn't Woke make.
    I think he may have done a piece recently defending the scottish legislation that has caused such a furore, which if I am recalling it correctly would be pretty darn woke for a Tory,
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

It's not true that it would breach the GFA. The GFA only relates to Northern Ireland law, which is a separate jurisdiction.
    If the UK leaves, NI also leaves the ECHR at the same time . The signatory to the agreement is the UK government.
  • Options

TimS said:

nico679 said:

You do know that the ECHR has no connection to the EU, right?
    I am aware that there isn't a formal link.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't have a Telegraph subscription.
    Use archive.is.

Like this: https://archive.is/RgJma
  • Options
    nico679 said:

So Sunak now wants to pull the UK out of the ECHR . I expect the low information mob will be cheering this as they fail to realize that their rights are going down the toilet not just those of the “ boat people “.

Seems to come up periodically as a threat, but frustrated though we can be by the court sometimes it always seems an overdramatic move. They might well finally do it.
  • Options
    Breaking news - 40 year old Sasha Walpole revealed as the woman who took Prince Harry's virginity in a Wiltshire field
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713609/Im-older-woman-took-Harrys-virginity-Digger-driver-Sasha-Walpole-40-comes-forward.html
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    DJ41a said:

Who uses it, ever?

• Most people use it sometimes.

• Everyone who is well prepared for prolonged power blackouts (and bank failures) keeps a wedge, the same way they've stocked up on car fuel, food, etc.

• Violent knuckledragging football "fans" who want to inflict nasty injuries on opposing teams' goalkeepers keep a few of the heavier coins.

Bullet 3: or, in the case of Liverpool fans, inflict nasty injuries on 15 year old girls, by filling a plastic pint pot full of coins and urine and hoying it on opposing fans below.

That said, I'm a big fan of cash. I might not always use it but I bridle at not being able to use it. Lockdown made me rather more paranoid about what a malign state can do, and cash makes it that bit harder.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That’s not a requirement for free speech.
    On the other hand neither is the universal offer of the front page of the Telegraph for anyone who wishes to publish their deluded apologia.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Breaking news - 40 year old Sasha Walpole revealed as the woman who took Prince Harry's virginity in a Wiltshire field
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713609/Im-older-woman-took-Harrys-virginity-Digger-driver-Sasha-Walpole-40-comes-forward.html

It only gets a passing sentence or two in the book.

She was 19 and he 16 at the time, so "older woman" is technically true, but a little misleading.

It doesn't seem widely commented on that Harry was a regular at the pub at the age of 16.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,113
    HYUFD said:

He definitely got up in the world in bagging Megan.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"I was always right. It was everyone else's fault."

(edited for length)
    You missed out “with the benefit of hindsight, I concede I might have done a better job selling my excellent policies”.
    I think LuckyGuy will probably find it quite coherent.
This discussion has been closed.