Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is Scotland FFS. At home. We are playing a nation that still has traditional trans-rape in female prisons, ritually applauded by the ululating pubically-bewoaded First Minister in her tartan lesbo-sporran in a pit near Stirling

We should be winning 79-0

That’s unfair. Scotland are a much improved side in recent times. In particular they score tries with the backs, and have solid first phase play. England lost the last WC final as their scrum and line out was destroyed. The first job for any side is parity as a minimum up front.
    Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

The result should not be in dispute
    Head vs heart. I agree with the sentiment. First ever England match I went to was England 13 - 7 Scotland in 1991. Hate losing to them. 2000 and 1990 are etched into my memories, never to leave, no matter how often we win.
    Have the English ever feared the Scots? As in, literally, militarily, culturally?

No. It’s a category error. It’s like saying do the Germans fear the Heligolanders, or does the mighty Arctic walrus fear a gnat doing a poo
    William Wallace, after all he even beheaded the King's nephew when he and his Scottish army sacked York and Edward I knew from then on if he did not defeat him he and his son could have been next.

Bonnie Prince Charlie too when his Jacobite army even reached Derby at one stage and the court
    of King George II then started to panic
    The English certainly feared the Scots militarily from about 700 to 1600 or so (and vice versa).

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566

DJ41a said:

A second balloon has been reported over America, this time over countries in the central and southern parts of that continent: Costa Rica, Colombia, and Venezuela. Perhaps it's heading to the Falklands?

The US Pentagon says it's Chinese. Not sure the Chinese government have said anything about it yet.

If I were Hagbard Celine, I'd release 10 similar balloons in different places around the world. Setting up a Marian apparition at one or two would be cool too.

Its either the AI or aliens. Or both have formed an alliance together with the woke trans and Bill Gates.

DJ41a said:

A second balloon has been reported over America, this time over countries in the central and southern parts of that continent: Costa Rica, Colombia, and Venezuela. Perhaps it's heading to the Falklands?

The US Pentagon says it's Chinese. Not sure the Chinese government have said anything about it yet.

If I were Hagbard Celine, I'd release 10 similar balloons in different places around the world. Setting up a Marian apparition at one or two would be cool too.

Its either the AI or aliens. Or both have formed an alliance together with the woke trans and Bill Gates.
    It’s WokeTransIllegalImmigrantAlienAIs

It is known.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Got most of these.

Who Said It: George Santos or George Costanza?
    See how well you tell apart the fabulists from “Seinfeld” and Congress.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/170085/george-santos-george-costanza-seinfeld

9/10. George Costanza is one of the great comic creations of our times. Although I'm not sure he's really a creation - he's basically just Larry David.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,344

Ahead of a MUCH anticipated return to fray, on the pages of the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow, what is the former PM, @trussliz really up to?
    #bbclaurak 'Liz was mad, but right' - says one of her colleagues, but another says 'she was a false prophet'

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1621870594919743489

The Tory party has become utterly delusional. I thought this kind of stuff happened in opposition, not in government.
    TBF, it's stretching a point to call this rabble 'a government.'
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

*Blushes*

Such modesty may be fitting, but not in the Site's best tradition. Stand proud like our beloved leaders.

Btw, how can one tell when a seal blushes?
    They post on PB to let you know. Obviously.
    A photo will be sufficient. Here is a picture of Mr Seal, and the elucidation for those who want to know more.

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/664482/view/walrus-bull-resting

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/alaska-science-forum/why-does-walrus-blush
    That is an insult to the Walrus Carnyx
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

Given we have seven former Prime Ministers still alive (Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson and Truss), I suppose it's inevitable one or more of them might be making a "comeback" at any given point as it's quite a crowded field.

Can anyone think of a time when there would have been seven living ex-Prime Ministers?
  • Options
    Fuck’s sake.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,138
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

Fuck’s sake.

Yep.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,491
    Deserved win for Scotland. England pitifully lose, yet again

BORTHWICK MUST GO
  • Options
    Just played it frame by frame, that last pass was at least 2m forward… no try
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,239
    What's happened to English rugby. Where are all the edgy unlikeable arrogant thugs?
  • Options
    Well done Scotland
  • Options
    DREADFUL

• Options
    'EXCLUSIVE: Support for the SNP, for Nicola Sturgeon and for Scottish independence has fallen sharply in a new YouGov poll as the party’s crisis over transgender rights deepens'
    https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1621939086167609344?s=20&t=KfsytlsB9p0vwFuA1--aDA
  • Options
    Tres said:

What's happened to English rugby. Where are all the edgy unlikeable arrogant thugs?

In the Cabinet.
  • Options

Fuck’s sake.

Could be worse. You could be Welsh.

Apart from @Beibheirli_C @Alanbrooke and our various Scottish posters I think it's fair to say today's rugby results have been a bit shit.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Given we have seven former Prime Ministers still alive (Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson and Truss), I suppose it's inevitable one or more of them might be making a "comeback" at any given point as it's quite a crowded field.

Can anyone think of a time when there would have been seven living ex-Prime Ministers?

It's inconceivable due to their greater maturity. I wonder if there was a time when there were none? My best offer is just one (Baldwin) between March and July 1945.
  • Options
    Hi ya @malcolmg how are you
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is Scotland FFS. At home. We are playing a nation that still has traditional trans-rape in female prisons, ritually applauded by the ululating pubically-bewoaded First Minister in her tartan lesbo-sporran in a pit near Stirling

That’s unfair. Scotland are a much improved side in recent times. In particular they score tries with the backs, and have solid first phase play. England lost the last WC final as their scrum and line out was destroyed. The first job for any side is parity as a minimum up front.
    Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

Head vs heart. I agree with the sentiment. First ever England match I went to was England 13 - 7 Scotland in 1991. Hate losing to them. 2000 and 1990 are etched into my memories, never to leave, no matter how often we win.
    Have the English ever feared the Scots? As in, literally, militarily, culturally?

No. It’s a category error. It’s like saying do the Germans fear the Heligolanders, or does the mighty Arctic walrus fear a gnat doing a poo
    William Wallace, after all he even beheaded the King's nephew when he and his Scottish army sacked York and Edward I knew from then on if he did not defeat him he and his son could have been next.

Bonnie Prince Charlie too when his Jacobite army even reached Derby at one stage and the court
    The English certainly feared the Scots militarily from about 700 to 1600 or so (and vice versa).

No, they didn’t. That’s rubbish. England was always the older, nobler, larger power. England feared the turmoil of Scottish incursions, the English never feared that Scotland might actually invade and conquer, unlike Spain or France or, eventually, Germany. Scotland simply was not big enough

Scotland always feared English conquest, and rightly - given the disparity in power and nobility - the question was whether the English could be arsed to do it (and then be obliged to pacify a rugged, insurrectionist region)

Vlad Putin has shown that England was wise to hold back
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    HYUFD said:
    That example? I don't think it would rise to the level of bullying. If there was a pattern of bullying behaviour of which a dickish approach to staff formed a part of it, perhaps.

Bullying doesn't have to be shouty and particularly overt at all times, but simply being icy and critical with juniors would not generally be an example I think.

It will be very interesting to see the outcome, since if he is 'cleared' it will be called a whitewash regardless, but it will be important to see if in fact he is guilty of simply being an arse.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

Apart from @Beibheirli_C @Alanbrooke and our various Scottish posters I think it's fair to say today's rugby results have been a bit shit.
    Ireland includes Northern Ireland at rugby
  • Options
    The latest YouGov poll, of 1,088 voters in Scotland from January 23 to January 26, found that Sturgeon’s approval rating had slipped into negative territory, from +7 to -4, since October. In the space of a month, support for the SNP in the next Scottish parliament election had fallen from 50 per cent to 44 per cent in the constituency vote, and from 40 per cent to 36 per cent in the regional vote. The poll also showed a reversal on the independence question over past month, with support for secession down from 53 per cent to 47 per cent among those expressing a view — the lowest since last spring.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296
    edited February 2023
    Tres said:

The team that believed they would win, did. England are very fragile at the moment. Martin Johnson’s side would have closed that game out. We are also in danger of doing the rugby version of Lampard and Gerrard with Smith/Farrell. Farrell missed two conversions, neither easy, but 8/10 for him.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

No, they didn’t. That’s rubbish. England was always the older, nobler, larger power. England feared the turmoil of Scottish incursions, the English never feared that Scotland might actually invade and conquer, unlike Spain or France or, eventually, Germany. Scotland simply was not big enough

Scotland always feared English conquest, and rightly - given the disparity in power and nobility - the question was whether the English could be arsed to do it (and then be obliged to pacify a rugged, insurrectionist region)

Yet as I pointed out the Scots reached York under Wallace and Derby under Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Neither the French or Germans or Spanish ever captured as much of England as the Scots did or even much at all beyond the occasional beach landing swiftly repulsed, certainly after the Norman conquest (and that was before France controlled the Duchy of Normandy)
  • Options

Ahead of a MUCH anticipated return to fray, on the pages of the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow, what is the former PM, @trussliz really up to?
    #bbclaurak 'Liz was mad, but right' - says one of her colleagues, but another says 'she was a false prophet'

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1621870594919743489

The Tory party has become utterly delusional. I thought this kind of stuff happened in opposition, not in government.
    They will have to hope they are shortcutting their period of paralysed ineptitude by doing it at the tail end of being in office, not after they lose it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    That example? I don't think it would rise to the level of bullying. If there was a pattern of bullying behaviour of which a dickish approach to staff formed a part of it, perhaps.

Bullying doesn't have to be shouty and particularly overt at all times, but simply being icy and critical with juniors would not generally be an example I think.

It will be very interesting to see the outcome, since if he is 'cleared' it will be called a whitewash regardless, but it will be important to see if in fact he is guilty of simply being an arse.
    Should a deputy PM be saved because they claim to be really shit at managing people rather than being a bully? Isn't managing people quite important to the role?
  • Options

The latest YouGov poll, of 1,088 voters in Scotland from January 23 to January 26, found that Sturgeon’s approval rating had slipped into negative territory, from +7 to -4, since October. In the space of a month, support for the SNP in the next Scottish parliament election had fallen from 50 per cent to 44 per cent in the constituency vote, and from 40 per cent to 36 per cent in the regional vote. The poll also showed a reversal on the independence question over past month, with support for secession down from 53 per cent to 47 per cent among those expressing a view — the lowest since last spring.

Well, -4 is still a pretty good rating for a longstanding leader, but it's still a notable hit.
  • Options
    Looking at the YouGov data tables, the England VI is Labour 50, Conservative 25 - that's a 19% swing from Conservative to Labour.

Among the 65+ age group, the Conservatives lead 43-28 - that's a 16% swing so not quite as strong a swing to Labour among the core Conservative constituency and with Reform on 12% perhaps a hint of hope for the Tories.

Omnisis polled yesterday and maintain a 24-point Labour advantage which is a 17.25% swing from 2019. Nationally, that takes down to the 238th most marginal on the Conservative list (Bedfordshire
    SW) while the YouGov England number takes us 30 seats further down.

In 1997, the national Con-Lab swing was 10% but it was much higher in some of the marginal seats (up to 19% in Crosby for example). It's therefore easy to argue some seats which would fall on a 17% won't and others which need an even higher swing to fall, will.

Labour got 48% in London in 2019, the Conservatives 32% and the LDs 15%. YouGov has 66-18-6 which I don't believe frankly but is a swing of 16% which would reduce the Conservatives to four seats in the capital (they would just lose Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner on the YouGov numbers).
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    stodge said:

Looking at the YouGov data tables, the England VI is Labour 50, Conservative 25 - that's a 19% swing from Conservative to Labour.

Among the 65+ age group, the Conservatives lead 43-28 - that's a 16% swing so not quite as strong a swing to Labour among the core Conservative constituency and with Reform on 12% perhaps a hint of hope for the Tories.

Omnisis polled yesterday and maintain a 24-point Labour advantage which is a 17.25% swing from 2019. Nationally, that takes down to the 238th most marginal on the Conservative list (Bedfordshire

In 1997, the national Con-Lab swing was 10% but it was much higher in some of the marginal seats (up to 19% in Crosby for example). It's therefore easy to argue some seats which would fall on a 17% won't and others which need an even higher swing to fall, will.

Labour got 48% in London in 2019, the Conservatives 32% and the LDs 15%. YouGov has 66-18-6 which I don't believe frankly but is a swing of 16% which would reduce the Conservatives to four seats in the capital (they would just lose Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner on the YouGov numbers).

London swing still lower than UK swing against the Tories under Sunak.

Tory voteshare in London now just 7% lower than Tory voteshare in England overall, whereas in 2019 Tory voteshare in London was 16% lower than the Conservative voteshare England wide under Boris
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

Hence why I included Alanbrooke...
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Should a deputy PM be saved because they claim to be really shit at managing people rather than being a bully? Isn't managing people quite important to the role?
    I doubt it is that important to the role.

I don't think anyone in a position of authority needs to be a dick, even if it doesn't rise to the level of a bully, but how many people do ministers actually 'manage'? They interact with plenty of people, and being abrasive might not help, but overstepping the line between stern and abrasive is not exactly firing material.

This is an ongoing issue for us, the public, in both judging ministers and assessing their potential replacements, since I cannot say how we can really know if they are good ministers or not. Being unpleasant to work with might be a part of that, but I find it hard to believe plenty of effective ministers were not also arses.

As for whether it should 'save' him, if he is not guilty of being a bully, the question for Sunak is whether Raab is effective in the role, and whether he is politically useful in the role. There's definitely questions about his effectiveness, but sufficient to be ditched in the absence of political imperative to do so? Doesn't seem likely.
  • Options

Tres said:

The team that believed they would win, did. England are very fragile at the moment. Martin Johnson’s side would have closed that game out. We are also in danger of doing the rugby version of Lampard and Gerrard with Smith/Farrell. Farrell missed two conversions, neither easy, but 8/10 for him.
    English rugby is exactly like English football. Quite a lot of talent, quite badly led, no real sense they might win anything. Chokers

England will timidly exit the rugby World Cup as they did in the football version

My god, both teams need to learn from English cricket
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

Yet as I pointed out the Scots reached York under Wallace and Derby under Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Neither the French or Germans or Spanish ever captured as much of England as the Scots did or even much at all beyond the occasional beach landing swiftly repulsed, certainly after the Norman conquest (and that was before France controlled the Duchy of Normandy)
    The French made it to Lincoln in 1217, although I will admit I don't know where they started from.

Edit - I think Wallace only got as far as Newcastle in 1297. I know Braveheart says different, but...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Seemingly dozens of civil servants, including several perm secs, or Raab - a man who has achieved nothing in public life, Guido - a professional shit-stirrer, and HYUFD - a digital masturbation device from Basildon?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

English rugby is exactly like English football. Quite a lot of talent, quite badly led, no real sense they might win anything. Chokers

England will timidly exit the rugby World Cup as they did in the football version

God Bless Ben Stokes!
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Seemingly dozens of civil servants, including several perm secs, or Raab - a man who has achieved nothing in public life, Guido - a professional shit-stirrer, and HYUFD - a digital masturbation device from Basildon?
    I live in rural Essex, not Basildon
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If that's the whole conversation, saying that something is no good without saying why it is no good may not be bullying, but it is a bit of a power trip.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

A digital masturbation device from Epping.
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

DJ41a said:

Surely if spying, satellites are better or indeed smart fridges. Balloons go where the wind blows, not where they are wanted.
    I wouldn't be spying, just creating havoc and confusion, and lotsa suspicion between governments, and inside governments too if possible.

Some disappearances near the balloon sightings might be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(The_Prisoner)

PS My absolute favourite UFO story is about the SAS staging the Rendlesham Forest sighting so as to wind up the US airforce who'd mistreated some of their guys.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Just played it frame by frame, that last pass was at least 2m forward… no try

Maybe, but England's first try looked like a knock on and it also looked like there was a forward pass in their third. If you are good enough these things don't lose you the match.

There was a penalty coming anyway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

I'm waiting on the details to emerge. The stuff that has leaked so far is underwhelming, certainly not as clear cut as the Bercow report ended up being - the number of people raising things is not as relevant as what they are actually claiming, since 10 people claiming Raab is rudely abrupt, for example, would not be worth as much as 1 person saying he threw things at people for example, or that he belittled people in front of their subordinates for no reason, etc.

So I'm still leaning on the side of him being safe for now, until something more substantial comes out.
  • Options
    Pete Wishart's grand plan to get a Labour minority government to agree to indy/indyref2 - “He suggested, however, that if a minority Labour government refused to agree to a second independence referendum, the SNP should not help it to pass laws on English matters and might withdraw its MPs from bill committees."

Starmer must be quaking in his boots at that threat.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

I’d recommend reading The Greatest Traitor by Ian Mortimer or The Steel Bonnets, by GM Fraser, for the contrary view.

Robert Bruce and his brother terrified the English (and Irish). Bruce ruled much of Northern England and his brother nearly conquered Ireland.

The Scottish border clans likewise terrified the North.

No one thought the Scots could conquer England, but everyone thought they could lay waste the North.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

sounding pretty desperate there
  • Options
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If that's the whole conversation, saying that something is no good without saying why it is no good may not be bullying, but it is a bit of a power trip.
    Being a bad boss who enjoys their position a little too much is not going to sink a Cabinet Minister. That permanent secretaries are weighing in may well be more make and break on the allegations, since they will be used to general levels of political behaviour, and if they feel he went far beyond that it will be more persuasive.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,798
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

In my experience in the public sector this type of conduct, which was normal a decade ago, is now regarded as bullying. You generally don't go through this type of 'performance' where you 'dress down' staff anymore, you have to give them some kind of constructive feedback. Some managers still carry on doing it though and they haven't realised the world has changed.

The trouble is that some people are more receptive to blunt feedback rather than the meandering constructive kind. They don't understand that they are producing really bad work and making continuous errors and that this has really bad consequences.

I think the thing with Raab is that it is made out that he is doing something completely hideous but actually he is just a bit out of date. No doubt it is the same story with other Ministers, but the civil service particularly dislike Raab, as they did previously with Priti Patel, so he is the focus of their complaints.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

The French made it to Lincoln in 1217, although I will admit I don't know where they started from.
    Fair point.

The French landed at Thanet. Distance Thanet to Lincoln not much different from Carlisle to Derby, though technically the English Barons invited Prince Louis to invade England in support of their rebellion v King John, whereas the British aristocracy did not invite Bonnie Prince Charlie to invade England in the Jacobite rebellion to try and topple King George II

• Options
    DJ41a said:

Foxy said:

DJ41a said:

Surely if spying, satellites are better or indeed smart fridges. Balloons go where the wind blows, not where they are wanted.
    I wouldn't be spying, just creating havoc and confusion, and lotsa suspicion between governments, and inside governments too if possible.

Some disappearances near the balloon sightings might be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(The_Prisoner)

Looks like USAF are about to take the balloon down, off the coast of South Carolina, letting it fall harmlessly into the Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1621946288559329289
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

God Bless Ben Stokes!
    I know everyone rates Farrell, but I don't. I know very little about rugby - I played a bit and I've watched more, but others know far, far more than I do. However it seems to me that not only is Farrell (to my mind) not that good on the pitch (for England), but that the results tend to indicate that with him in the team we don't do very well.

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

I'm waiting on the details to emerge. The stuff that has leaked so far is underwhelming, certainly not as clear cut as the Bercow report ended up being - the number of people raising things is not as relevant as what they are actually claiming, since 10 people claiming Raab is rudely abrupt, for example, would not be worth as much as 1 person saying he threw things at people for example, or that he belittled people in front of their subordinates for no reason, etc.

So I'm still leaning on the side of him being safe for now, until something more substantial comes out.
    These rumours have followed Raab for ages.
    There’s that odd thing about a superinjunction.

I would in normal life give the benefit of the doubt, but these rumours have invariably turned out to be true with this pack of clowns.

Even then, I might make dispensation if he had achieved a single thing of note as a senior politician.

He hasn’t.
  • Options

Hi ya @malcolmg how are you

Top of the world Horse, Had a day out with grandsons and back to watch the slaughter at Twickenham with a beer. What more could a man ask for.
    Hope you are well today and in good fettle.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Looks like USAF are about to take the balloon down, off the coast of South Carolina, letting it fall harmlessly into the Atlantic.

They're probably more worried about avoiding damage to the balloon so they can thoroughly investigate what it's doing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

France.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

I don't live in Epping either now, we live closer to Matching and North Weald and Ongar than Epping.

Average house price in Matching Green higher than every district in the UK outside Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster (though we can't afford there unfortunately)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/matching-green.html

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

Do try to keep up with your own postings. This wrecks your claim that the UK is one nation, by your own admission, quite apart from the three nations in GB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

France.
    Well, yes, that could have been better phrased!
  • Options

They're probably more worried about avoiding damage to the balloon so they can thoroughly investigate what it's doing.
    For which purpose a small hole in the balloon rather than a massive explosion in the payload is probably a good idea. Twitterati demands for an ICBM seem a little OTT.
  • Options
    Well now.

The latest YouGov poll, of 1,088 voters in Scotland from January 23 to January 26, found that Sturgeon’s approval rating had slipped into negative territory, from +7 to -4, since October. In the space of a month, support for the SNP in the next Scottish parliament election had fallen from 50 per cent to 44 per cent in the constituency vote, and from 40 per cent to 36 per cent in the regional vote.

The poll also showed a reversal on the independence question over past month, with
    support for secession down from 53 per cent to 47 per cent among those expressing a view — the lowest since last spring.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-sturgeon-and-independence-fall-in-poll-after-isla-bryson-trans-prisoner-row-5j3pqr7s5
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

Do try to keep up with your own postings. This wrecks your claim that the UK is one nation, by your own admission, quite apart from the three nations in GB.
    No it doesn't. The UK doesn't compete as one sovereign nation in rugby union apart from as the British Lions (which even then adds the Republic of Ireland)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

According to some reports, these things can be quite hard to bring down.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

No it doesn't. The UK doesn't compete as one sovereign nation in rugby union apart from as the British Lions (which even then adds the Republic of Ireland)
    Tut tut, that's the British and Irish Lions now.

Clearly a sign they should vote to rejoin the UK though. If it works for sport, why not?
  • Options
    Although I'm personally disappointed that England lost, I'm very pleased for my brother, who has been part of the Scotland coaching setup for the past few years, and scouted a few of the current players.
  • Options

Although I'm personally disappointed that England lost, I'm very pleased for my brother, who has been part of the Scotland coaching setup for the past few years, and scouted a few of the current players.

You really should disown your brother for his treasonous behaviour.
  • Options
    The Bank of England and Treasury will next week throw their weight behind a "digital pound" as they set out a roadmap to introduce a new central bank currency by 2030.

Andrew Bailey and Jeremy Hunt are expected to say it is "likely" that a new form of money will be needed as cash use continues to decline in an increasingly digital economy.

It is understood that any new state-backed digital currency – which has been dubbed “Britcoin” in the press - would sit alongside cash. However, the plans are likely to fuel fears that physical currency could one day be phased out altogether.

The decision by Mr Hunt and Mr Bailey to throw their weight behind the project comes almost two years after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak set up a taskforce as Chancellor to explore whether to create a so-called central bank digital currency (CBDC).

"On the basis of our work to date, the Bank of England and HM Treasury judge that it is likely a digital pound will be needed in the future," the Bank of England Governor and current Chancellor say in extracts of a consultation paper seen by The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/02/04/digital-pound-possible-2030-bid-combat-falling-use-cash/
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fuck’s sake.

The UK is a monarchist political regime and has no part in this discussion. It is not a nation, any more than the French Republic is a nation.

Britain though which includes Northern Ireland is a nation, as is GB, as are Wales, England, and Scotland, and as of course is Ireland. Unfortunately there are no names for the nation that corresponds to the 26 counties other than "the Republic of Ireland" and "Ireland". Both of these confuse matters. A republic is not a nation because a republic is a political regime, and Ireland obviously includes Northern Ireland.
    There is no contradiction in any of this.
    A "nation" is a load of balls that a large number of 'tards believe in.
    It's a brand that some people feel loyalty to, like Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Options

He's Scottish! Born in Fochabers, near Elgin
  • Options

Hm, that's rather an Anglocentric point of view. Different nation, you know.
  • Options
    There's far too many Scottish people in my life.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I've got a lot of Scottish friends and colleagues, the WhatsApp messages are pinging like mad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

I don't live in Epping either now, we live closer to Matching and North Weald and Ongar than Epping.

Average house price in Matching Green higher than every district in the UK outside Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster (though we can't afford there unfortunately)

I think Gardenwalker has been unnecessarily rude and should apologise.

But why the need to bring up house prices? Is this relevant, makes you look a bit stuck up mate?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,988
    Liz Truss comeback ! I doubt Sunak will be losing any sleep !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Tory voteshare in London now just 7% lower than Tory voteshare in England overall, whereas in 2019 Tory voteshare in London was 16% lower than the Conservative voteshare England wide under Boris
    Quite - as you live in the 40th safest Conservative seat and I in the 15th safest Labour seat would you agree with me the most likely outcome in our two constituencies is a Conservative hold in yours and a Labour hold in mine?

The "battle" will be fought on other people's door steps, not ours.
  • Options

The Bank of England and Treasury will next week throw their weight behind a "digital pound" as they set out a roadmap to introduce a new central bank currency by 2030.

Andrew Bailey and Jeremy Hunt are expected to say it is "likely" that a new form of money will be needed as cash use continues to decline in an increasingly digital economy.

It is understood that any new state-backed digital currency – which has been dubbed “Britcoin” in the press - would sit alongside cash. However, the plans are likely to fuel fears that physical currency could one day be phased out altogether.

The decision by Mr Hunt and Mr Bailey to throw their weight behind the project comes almost two years after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak set up a taskforce as Chancellor to explore whether to create a so-called central bank digital currency (CBDC).

"On the basis of our work to date, the Bank of England and HM Treasury judge that it is likely a digital pound will be needed in the future," the Bank of England Governor and current Chancellor say in extracts of a consultation paper seen by The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/02/04/digital-pound-possible-2030-bid-combat-falling-use-cash/

They could start by getting rid of low-value coins like 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p. I'm old enough to remember pre-decimal pennies grinding a hole in my pocket, even though eighteen of them would buy a pint of bitter or a packet of Woodbines. How many 2p pieces would that take?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,311
    Scott_xP said:

After the French match we could be seeing the final table. Ireland, France, Scotland, England, Italy, Wales wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I've got a lot of Scottish friends and colleagues, the WhatsApp messages are pinging like mad.
    Mm, some happy rugger buggers tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

But why the need to bring up house prices? Is this relevant, makes you look a bit stuck up mate?
    I was just responding snobbishly after Gardenwalker responded snobbishly to me by suggesting I lived in Basildon (apologies to people in Basildon, they did at least re elect John Major in 1992 before going to Blair in 1997)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Mm, some happy rugger buggers tonight.
    I'm not a happy rugger bugger tonight.
  • Options

He's Scottish! Born in Fochabers, near Elgin
    No excuse.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

I was just responding snobbishly after Gardenwalker responded snobbishly to me by suggesting I lived in Basildon (apologies to people in Basildon, they did at least re elect John Major in 1992 before going to Blair in 1997)
    What's house prices got to do with it? You're better than this mate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Got most of these.

I got 80% and I've never even seen Seinfeld.

It reminds me of the similar one challenging one to decide if a manifesto statement was from the MRLP or UKIP: I got most of them right by assuming that the former would be saner.
    I’ve never watched it, either.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Quite - as you live in the 40th safest Conservative seat and I in the 15th safest Labour seat would you agree with me the most likely outcome in our two constituencies is a Conservative hold in yours and a Labour hold in mine?

The "battle" will be fought on other people's door steps, not ours.
    Indeed, even if only 50 Tory seats left and Epping Forest goes Labour (unlikely now thank goodness) we now live in Brentwood and Ongar constituency so would stay Tory.

As you were equally safe from having a Tory MP even in 2019
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

Sounds like something in Rimworld (which is a computer game)
  • Options
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

Apologies again to Basildon, especially as it could now go Labour and have a Labour MP for the first time since 2010 in at least one of its 2 seats
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,311
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

I could have sworn I'd seen you down Laindon Labour Club.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    What’s wrong with living in Basildon?
    Not that I’ve ever been.

Anyway, looking at a map, HYUFD seems nearer to Harlow.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hmmm.

Who to believe?

Apologies.

Sounds like something in Rimworld (which is a computer game)
    An excellent, endlessly fun computer game.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Got most of these.

I got 80% and I've never even seen Seinfeld.

It reminds me of the similar one challenging one to decide if a manifesto statement was from the MRLP or UKIP: I got most of them right by assuming that the former would be saner.
    I’ve never watched it, either.
    You’re missing out.
    Although the first series is not that funny; they take time to settle in.
  • Options

Not that I’ve ever been.

It's in Essex, the armpit of the UK.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Not that I’ve ever been.

Rural Essex has some of the most beautiful bits of the UK. As you should also know being an Oliver Cromwell fan, his son Richard went to school in Essex too, Felsted
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Not that I’ve ever been.

Harlow New Town yes (of course 100 years ago Harlow and Basildon didn't really exist, most of the land they now occupy was farmland). Like Basildon it offered new homes for Londoners from the East End bombed out in the War
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Harlow New Town yes (of course 100 years ago Harlow and Basildon didn't really exist, most of the land they now occupy was farmland)

Get 'em out by Friday...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    Tres said:

Let's get back to the good old days of English rugby:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYYtAPLj/

• Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Not that I’ve ever been.

Rural Essex has some of the most beautiful bits of the UK. As you should also know being an Oliver Cromwell fan, his son Richard went to school in Essex too, Felsted
    Saffron Walden is nice too.

And Canvey Island gave the world its finest musical group. Lee Brilleaux's stage presence could easily knock any King's Singer from f***ing Cambridge into a cocked hat.
  • Options

Not that I’ve ever been.

Oi! Depeche Mode are from Basildon!
  • Options
    @annmarie: RT @FoxNews: BREAKING NEWS: US military shoots down Chinese spy balloon over Atlantic Ocean

https://t.co/QpGwxusdfz
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526

I have to confess some minor admiration for Truss’s sheer chutzpah.

And, unlike the many other numpties at the top of the Tory Party she is not grotesquely over-privileged, nor personally corrupt.

Ok, she’s as nutty as a walnut whip, but you can’t have everything.

As probably the board's foremost non-ironic Truss liker, my opinion of this recent Truss-tremor (it's not big enough to be a Trussgasm) is that it is extremely confected, and in the way it has been covered in the media very unfair to the lady herself (including this thread).

1. The story referred to in The Times is imo likely to be a complete fabrication, leaked by a Sunak ally (this is the Times remember) not a Truss ally. If she has 'half a hope' - note the very deniable hope quotient, I doubt the Times would be the first to hear of it.

2. The story has been invented to try and crush with mockery what is a real move on the part of Tory MPs to insist that the dismal decline-manager and the dismal assistant decline-manager focus on economic growth, which is and has always been the only way out of the grave economical situation that they are so fond of telling us about.

3. Truss herself has done nothing except continue to exist, and continue to believe in economic growth, which is apparently enough of a crime to earn you the pearl-clutching ire of the Guardian etc. these days. These people seem genuinely to have deluded themselves that it was the actual mini budget that failed, thus killing monetarism stone dead for decades, as opposed to the mini-budget announcement that failed, thus ensuring that none of the mini budget was actually ever implemented.

4. Invoking the horrors of the recent past, quite apart from trashing the party, is quite a risky strategy for the junior accountants' convention that is the current Government, given that shouting aside, the economy did actually grow during Truss's short tenure, and memories of it are likely to grow fonder as the reality of Sunak's ministry of misery starts to set in, like trenchfoot. Deliberately putting yourself on the opposite side of the argument to economic growth doesn't seem to me like a great strategy - on the contrary it gives the other side the best tunes.
  • Options

Borthwick’s a Scottish name.
    Just sayin’…
This discussion has been closed.