Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2023 in General
The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

She has two chances. Slim and fat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First rate like @DougSeal's abilities.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    I confidentially predict the tax cuts called for won't be for the lower paid.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nor any call for Council Tax reforms. Probably the biggest single disincentive to moving into low paid employment.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

*Blushes*

Such modesty may be fitting, but not in the Site's best tradition. Stand proud like our beloved leaders.

Btw, how can one tell when a seal blushes?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

DougSeal said:

*Blushes*

Such modesty may be fitting, but not in the Site's best tradition. Stand proud like our beloved leaders.

The ice we’re standing upon almost imperceptibly melts slightly at the rise in body temp
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    I suppose she thinks she "won the argument" by saying we need to "grow the pie". As opposed to just robotically chuntering what in a crowded field is one of the most facile platitudes in modern British politics.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2023
    I have to confess some minor admiration for Truss’s sheer chutzpah.

And, unlike the many other numpties at the top of the Tory Party she is not grotesquely over-privileged, nor personally corrupt.

Ok, she’s as nutty as a walnut whip, but you can’t have everything.
  • Options
    If we're going by Seal predictions,

we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.

But this is surely too crazy. The fact that Truss wants to come back ought to disqualify her. For her own peace of mind, if nothing else.

Same for the other ex-PM on manoeuvres.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Real Trussism hasn't been tried yet. She had to go against her convictions by subsidising energy which led to the communication failure over the budget.
  • Options
    Truss is a keen fan of the works of Rick Perlstein, who has written a multi-volume history of the American Right, starting with Barry Goldwater.

I’m half way through the first one, it’s very good.
  • Options

Real Trussism hasn't been tried yet. She had to go against her convictions by subsidising energy which led to the communication failure over the budget.

Another entry in the long list of social and political experiments that “haven’t been tried properly” after Communism, Morris Dancing and Brexit.
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    I love the line that Liz Truss "tried to do too much". Never mind was it good or bad. Shift the focus to the amount of it, or the speed of it, with the unstated assumption that it was good because it must have been good, because people like her have white skins are part of the Tories' DNA.

The Times are only saying this sh*t because they gotta say something about the ongoing fighting in top Tory circles while Raab hasn't even been sacked yet and Sunak hasn't managed to get it together enough to appoint a replacement for Zahawi as chairman.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Nor any call for Council Tax reforms. Probably the biggest single disincentive to moving into low paid employment.
    Apart from the low pay, of course.
  • Options
    It’s very cold in Manhattan this morning.

It’s minus 15 but “feels like” minus 23 when you account for wind-chill. The only people out and about are the mentally unwell and homeless (pretty much the same thing).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Liz Truss allies leaking she will let Sunak lose the next general election.

Then once rid of Sunak and Hunt she will stand again for the party leadership to be Leader of the Opposition to PM Starmer

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1621818468407320578?s=20&t=qpFVaJbbb9vHlMXTEeVtxA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Then once rid of Sunak and Hunt she will stand again for the party leadership to be Leader of the Opposition to PM Starmer

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1621818468407320578?s=20&t=qpFVaJbbb9vHlMXTEeVtxA

Though personally I would put Barclay as favourite to be Leader of the Opposition
  • Options
    My work here is done.

If we're going by Seal predictions,

we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.

But this is surely too crazy. The fact that Truss wants to come back ought to disqualify her. For her own peace of mind, if nothing else.

Same for the other ex-PM on manoeuvres.

Baby, I compare Truss to a kiss from a rose on the grey
    Ooh, the more I get, the stranger it feels, yeah
    And now that her rose is in bloom
    A light hits the gloom on the grey

(that one’s dedicated from me to @Luckyguy1983 )
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited February 2023
    Where I lead the media follow.

• Options

Truss is a keen fan of the works of Rick Perlstein, who has written a multi-volume history of the American Right, starting with Barry Goldwater.

Truss is an ideological libertarian, more than any other UK Tory Leader before her was.

Basically she is Barry Goldwater or Rand Paul in a skirt

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

LET Sunak lose?

As if she had any influence on that event!
  • Options

It’s very cold in Manhattan this morning.

It’s minus 15 but “feels like” minus 23 when you account for wind-chill. The only people out and about are the mentally unwell and homeless (pretty much the same thing).

The wife’s moaning about the weather today. She’s off to visit her family in New Haven CT on Thursday.

(chuckles slightly but while she’s in a different room)
  • Options
    Told you Dyche would save Everton.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Why would her allies say something like that?
  • Options

*ahem*
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

So Sunak takes the hit for the defeat not her.

She would hope Johnson and Hunt lose their marginal seats too, then launch her comeback on a low tax agenda v a high tax Labour government
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    DougSeal said:

*ahem*
    Nostradamus or walrus? But it will be interesting ...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195
    HYUFD said:

Gove. Safe seat, tolerates thankless jobs, would actually be good at it.
  • Options
    Truss ain’t coming back.

Even the shit-witted rump of Tories left after the next election aren’t that stupid.
  • Options
    Blatant dive by cheating Arsenal.
  • Options

And, unlike the many other numpties at the top of the Tory Party she is not grotesquely over-privileged, nor personally corrupt.

PLeeeease don't mention walnut whips to anyone familiar with Edinburgh and its new hotel.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

LET Sunak lose?

Careful.
    She killed the Queen.
    Her powers are simply terrifying.
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

One of those morbid signs that a party is beginning to give up, and longs to be able to ignore reality from the safety of opposition. There was quite a lot of chuntering along those lines in the run-up to 1997
  • Options
    I thought Liz Truss had gone off to be in a polycule with Sam Bankman-Fried, anyway.
  • Options
    Someone just sent me a photo of box of 500g of blueberries for £9.99.

I have also heard rumours of a flat white for sale at £4.75.

Why aren’t Britons rioting?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

They are all very good.
  • Options

Maybe not enough eat blueberries and drink flat whites?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

PLeeeease don't mention walnut whips to anyone familiar with Edinburgh and its new hotel.
    The first order of my dictatorship will be to have that bombed (and blamed on Brexiters).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss is an ideological libertarian, more than any other UK Tory Leader before her was.

Rick Perlstein is not a fan of Barry Goldwater, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

I thought Liz Truss had gone off to be in a polycule with Sam Bankman-Fried, anyway.

Kwasi Karteng and a serving European Prime Minister, surely?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195

Probably too busy at Tesco buying the blueberries for £3.60:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301514109

(The reviews say they are tasteless. I say, what do you expect? They are blueberries. Maybe £9.99 gets some good ones.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I see that miserable and public failure has left her capacity for delusion undimmed.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Gove. Safe seat, tolerates thankless jobs, would actually be good at it.
    They could do a lot worse, especially if you think along Michael Howard lines- he won't win himself, but he can placehold until the next generation is ready.

But, like all the solutions to the Conservatives' problems, it requires the Conservatives to collectively acknowledge that they are in a deep hole.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

LET Sunak lose?

Careful.
    She killed the Queen.
    Her powers are simply terrifying.
    A valid point, though I do wonder whether HM held it together enough to ensure Johnson wasn't PM for her funeral.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

*Blushes*

They post on PB to let you know. Obviously.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

(The reviews say they are tasteless. I say, what do you expect? They are blueberries. Maybe £9.99 gets some good ones.)
    I don’t like blueberries either, except in muffins or as jam etc.

I’m just shocked that someone priced them at 9.99 and expects someone to buy them.
  • Options

carnforth said:

I’m just shocked that someone priced them at 9.99 and expects someone to buy them.
    They are quite a long way out of season.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I’m only half way through, but I don’t quite get that impression. Goldwater seems a bit of an Enoch Powell; ideologically irascible but personally otherworldly to the point of naïveté.
  • Options

Anyone paying that is either too thick, too rich, or both to riot.
  • Options

DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

One of those morbid signs that a party is beginning to give up, and longs to be able to ignore reality from the safety of opposition. There was quite a lot of chuntering along those lines in the run-up to 1997
    Indeed, by 1996 rightwing Tories were planning on letting Major lose the 1997 general election then reviving the Thatcherite flame in Opposition under Michael Portillo.

Until the electors of Enfield Southgate intervened of course!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Regarding Mr. Gill's earlier 'comments' on this site, I do wonder if these people actually believe in what they type, or if they've thought through the logical conclusion if they were ever to 'win' the war they think they're fighting.

Like Tucker Carlson, who spends his days bashing vaccines yet has made sure he's fully jabbed, they're doing it for the money I suppose.

But if they won, and I mean truly won, they'd hate the world they helped create. A vaccineless world, where death was a lot more common and Russia ruled everything. No chance to vote, express an opinion or anything. The boot stamping on the human face forever.
    And of course, their usefulness at an end, they'd be first to be liquidated by the regime anyway......

Strange mindset. I can't understand how they do it.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I’m only half way through, but I don’t quite get that impression. Goldwater seems a bit of an Enoch Powell; ideologically irascible but personally otherworldly to the point of naïveté.
    He’s a pretty good writer on political history, so it’s not a one sided polemic.
    Bill Kristol: "It's an amazing story, and Perlstein, a man of the left, does it justice."

Conservatives were less happy about the later books.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Deleted
  • Options
    German public opinion on allowing its tanks to be sent to Ukraine is striking:

75% of Green voters back sending tanks, vs just 6% of AfD.

Really shows how the Greens have embraced pragmatism (see also agreeing to keep nuclear pants open), while AfD captured by pro-Russian nuts.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1621807289970704384
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    14D Pigeon Chess Post:

What if Sunak is pretty chilled with his appointment of a rogues' gallery of Johnsonites and is perfectly content to let several iterations of bad news cycles take their course.

By drawing out the agony and then hanging them out at appropriate spacing along a metaphorical Appian Way, the Zahawis, Raabs and Bravermans of this world return to the
    back benches as total wash outs rather than
    potential troublemakers. In entertaining this theory, let's relish the humiliation it would
    require for Spartacus Johnson himself.

Probably just me entertaining myself, but I'll put the thought out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Really shows how the Greens have embraced pragmatism (see also agreeing to keep nuclear pants open), while AfD captured by pro-Russian nuts.

Only 31% of Linke voters also pro sending tanks, so as usual far left and far right united behind Putin.

64% of CDU voters and 61% of SPD voters and 55% of FDP voters like the Greens back sending tanks to Zelensky
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

*Blushes*

They post on PB to let you know. Obviously.
    A photo will be sufficient. Here is a picture of Mr Seal, and the elucidation for those who want to know more.

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/664482/view/walrus-bull-resting

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/alaska-science-forum/why-does-walrus-blush
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

carnforth said:

Not in Peru and Morocco they’re not - where I got 450g for £5.20 today..
  • Options

Regarding Mr. Gill's earlier 'comments' on this site, I do wonder if these people actually believe in what they type, or if they've thought through the logical conclusion if they were ever to 'win' the war they think they're fighting.

Like Tucker Carlson, who spends his days bashing vaccines yet has made sure he's fully jabbed, they're doing it for the money I suppose.

But if they won, and I mean truly won, they'd hate the world they helped create. A vaccineless world, where death was a lot more common and Russia ruled everything. No chance to vote, express an opinion or anything. The boot stamping on the human face forever.
    And of course, their usefulness at an end, they'd be first to be liquidated by the regime anyway......

Strange mindset. I can't understand how they do it.

A large part of it is about the grift.
    Being a prominent anti-vaxxer can certainly be very profitable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

So Sunak takes the hit for the defeat not her.

She would hope Johnson and Hunt lose their marginal seats too, then launch her comeback on a low tax agenda v a high tax Labour government
    I understand why she might think like that, but why would her allies brief the press to that effect? If she must say anything at all, why not just say she is loyal to Sunak, doesn't set much stock in the polls, and has faith that the British people will once again vote for a Tory administration rather than for a return to the trade union rule of the high-tax 1970s, etc. etc. Saying she will "let" the Tories lose the next election only goes down well with the minority who want to go into opposition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, by 1996 rightwing Tories were planning on letting Major lose the 1997 general election then reviving the Thatcherite flame in Opposition under Michael Portillo.

Until the electors of Enfield Southgate intervened of course!
    Which is the danger of embracing defeat- it risks turning that defeat into a rout that will take a decade or more to recover from. Though even Portillo's personal survival in 1997 was unlikely to end in him becoming Prime Minister.

Even if a party knows it's going to lose, even if it knows defeat is probably for the best, it still has to fight to win.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    I’m a Onana fan 😍
  • Options
    The worst aspect of this isn’t the money (though that it damaging); it’s the brain drain.
    (And obviously this doesn’t just affect Oxbridge.)

Brexit causes collapse in European research funding for Oxbridge
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/feb/04/brexit-causes-collapse-in-european-research-funding-for-oxbridge-universities
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,916

I’m a Onana fan 😍

Does that make you an Onanist?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Zero kudos having not tipped it before the match but I did Everton @ 9.6.

Great price - esp now.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    boulay said:

I’m a Onana fan 😍

Does that make you an Onanist?
    Today for sure - GF has gone to bed with a headache after all that football fun.

Now the racing 😋
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923

DougSeal said:

carnforth said:

Not in Peru and Morocco they’re not - where I got 450g for £5.20 today..
    Peru and Morocco is the new hipster Fortnum and Masons store, right?
  • Options
    Sir Keir must be floating. Imagine the campaign he can run when the time comes to secure his second term.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,245
    HYUFD said:

Only 31% of Linke voters also pro sending tanks, so as usual far left and far right united behind Putin.

64% of CDU voters and 61% of SPD voters and 55% of FDP voters like the Greens back sending tanks to Zelensky
    Of course die Linke have a long-standing policy of opposing all German arms exports. On Ukraine they are very split, and the lack of coherence on this (and lots of other things) means they are likely to sink even further into irrelevance.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The worst aspect of this isn’t the money (though that it damaging); it’s the brain drain.
    (And obviously this doesn’t just affect Oxbridge.)

Brexit causes collapse in European research funding for Oxbridge
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/feb/04/brexit-causes-collapse-in-european-research-funding-for-oxbridge-universities

Our top universities along with the financial sector are pretty much the only part of our economy that has a seat at the top table globally. Brexit has damaged both.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

Sir Keir must be floating. Imagine the campaign he can run when the time comes to secure his second term.

Something about ‘stability and strong government with me, or chaos with Truss?’
  • Options
    On topic - how incredible. This kind of crazy thinking seems to have infected the Tory brain since at least 2016. I blame Boris Jonestown.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Of course die Linke have a long-standing policy of opposing all German arms exports. On Ukraine they are very split, and the lack of coherence on this (and lots of other things) means they are likely to sink even further into irrelevance.
    They used to be big on sending things to Russia, of course…
  • Options
    I think the Irish are the only thing that will cheer me up in today’s rugby.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

Which shop? Not bloody Aldi I’m betting. Blueberries are rather out of season in Feb.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    The Tories calling upon Loopy Liz to make “The catastrophe II” to a film that flopped at the box office first time around, would be the height of stupidity, up with making brain-dead former soldier IDS the party leader last time they were in opposition.

Aside from anything else, the mere sight of her will remind voters of the abject disaster she inflicted upon us first time around. How is that ever going to be an election-winning proposition? It would be like Labour putting up Gordon Brown as prospective PM in 2015.
  • Options

Always being first on your own posts is such a bad look. Have you no shame?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    edited February 2023

On topic - how incredible. This kind of crazy thinking seems to have infected the Tory brain since at least 2016. I blame Boris Jonestown.

Yes. With the insanity of Liz Truss drawing most of the attention, it's easy to forget that Boris was a considerable oddball himself. It's possible that the man has destroyed the Tory party as a potent political force for ever. It doesn't always feel that way now because they're still in power, but after the next election if the opinion polls are anything to go by...? Who knows?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I have no sense of shame, that way my other senses are enhanced.

OGH and I post first just to see that Vanilla is working ok.
  • Options
    Bloody Kopites.
    Their rank incompetence is gonna keep EFC in the bottom three.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

Hmmm

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-blueberries-500g

There are “specialty” veg shops which charge lots, of course. There’s one locally that claims all their vegetables are organic, ethical, free range and cruelty free. Or some such. I doubt blueberries there would be under a tenner for 200g.

Edit : the price of coffee is basically the price of labour plus a bit for the lighting, leccy, heating, WiFi and profit. There’s a few pennies in there for the coffee itself.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bloody Kopites.
    Their rank incompetence is gonna keep EFC in the bottom three.

For the greater good.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It also prevents the otherwise unseemly scramble for the position.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Just as Dominic Cummings only went to Durham because in London - a city of nine million people where he was the most powerful man in the government - there was nobody to look after his son. :wink:
  • Options

I think the Irish are the only thing that will cheer me up in today’s rugby.

Fecking Irish.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    What is quite surprising is the idea that Truss has 'allies'. I can understand why you might sympathise with her, but how can she seriously be regarded as the answer to anything, she is universally regarded as a joke and a failure. The mind boggles. Surely you would support someone else?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Hmmm

There are “specialty” veg shops which charge lots, of course. There’s one locally that claims all their vegetables are organic, ethical, free range and cruelty free. Or some such. I doubt blueberries there would be under a tenner for 200g….
    Is cruelty to blueberries really a thing ?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    darkage said:

What is quite surprising is the idea that Truss has 'allies'. I can understand why you might sympathise with her, but how can she seriously be regarded as the answer to anything, she is universally regarded as a joke and a failure. The mind boggles. Surely you would support someone else?

Now that's not fair.

She is the answer to the following:

'Who was Britain's shortest serving Prime Minister, disallowing those who were unable to form a cabinet?'

'Who was Prime Minister when the shortest serving Chancellor who did not die in office was in the role?'

'Who was Prime Minister when Queen Elizabeth II died?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to take office in Scotland?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to be appointed without winning the support of a majority of MPs in a ballot since 1964?'

'Who had the silliest Downing Street lectern?'

That's enough to guarantee her a place in the history books, alongside the likes of the great Spencer Perceval and Lord Goderich.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    edited February 2023
    IanB2 said:

The Tories calling upon Loopy Liz to make “The catastrophe II” to a film that flopped at the box office first time around, would be the height of stupidity, up with making brain-dead former soldier IDS the party leader last time they were in opposition.

Aside from anything else, the mere sight of her will remind voters of the abject disaster she inflicted upon us first time around. How is that ever going to be an election-winning proposition? It would be like Labour putting up Gordon Brown as prospective PM in 2015.

Well. The British do love an underdog.

"The heartwarming true story of how an Oxford graduate overcame the twin hardships of rank incompetence, and a disastrous, record-breaking initial stint in the job to return triumphantly as Britain's most respected Prime Minister - and saved a nation. This Lady's for Returning."
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223
    Truss (or some Tufton St guru on her behalf) is writing a 3,000 word article in the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow. That's 60 words per day.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Hmmm

There are “specialty” veg shops which charge lots, of course. There’s one locally that claims all their vegetables are organic, ethical, free range and cruelty free. Or some such. I doubt blueberries there would be under a tenner for 200g….
    Is cruelty to blueberries really a thing ?
    I have no idea. And know better than to google for it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0EwcwCXMAQqIug?format=jpg&name=small
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    edited February 2023
    darkage said:

I suspect it's not so much Truss herself as what she represents. Remember, no end of 'think tanks' and putting-the-world-to-rights conservative pundits have carved a niche espousing the type of policies he attempted to enact. If she fails they fail. It's all a desperate attempt to stop that spark from dying.
  • Options
    @MoonRabbit was asking the last couple of days about Ukrainian civilians on the front line.
    This article gives a hint of the reality.
    https://kyivindependent.com/national/one-night-in-bakhmut-inside-the-bleak-world-of-citys-civilians-as-russia-draws-closer
  • Options
    darkage said:

That means finding someone else with that set of beliefs who would be more attractive to the public.

When you look at the cabinet she chose,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_ministry

it's possible that Truss Reborn is the best they can come up with.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well. The British do love an underdog.

"The heartwarming true story of how an Oxford graduate overcame the twin hardships of rank incompetence, and a disastrous, record-breaking initial stint in the job to return triumphantly as Britain's most respected Prime Minister - and saved a nation. This Lady's for Returning."
    Brits are sensible enough to know that if you've flushed and something unwelcome reappears, the right response is to flush again.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited February 2023
    Another article, this time in The Times, saying that AI is coming and it may make nearly all of us third-class citizens. Well, in that case, why don't we refuse to accept it? Turkeys don't usually vote for Christmas.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-future-is-ai-but-will-it-allow-humans-to-play-a-part-m39m736hm
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    The vast majority of brits will look back to the disastrous “mini budget” and conclude - quite clearly - that Truss was incompetent

That sort of impression won’t just shift because suddenly the Tories are in opposition.

We don’t even know how many of the current lot will keep their seats - I’m expecting a neat extinction level event for them. Let’s see them try to embrace that
  • Options

darkage said:

That means finding someone else with that set of beliefs who would be more attractive to the public.

When you look at the cabinet she chose,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_ministry

it's possible that Truss Reborn is the best they can come up with.
    Penny 'global phenomenon' Mordaunt was in there. Odd that Liz has been touted as a Messiahess but she hasn't (yet).
  • Options
    Remember Igor Mangushev, the Russian merc who brandished a skull he said had belonged to one of the Azovstal defenders? He's just been shot in the head. So what?
    A short thread on some wider dynamics in the Prigozhin empire 1/

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1621862756591738880
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    HYUFD said: "Basically she is Barry Goldwater or Rand Paul in a skirt"

Rand Paul? Now that is cruel. I don't know enough about Liz Truss to say whether that's cruel but fair, or just cruel. But I doubt that, for example, she has a father who has dabbled in racism.
This discussion has been closed.