Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Liz Truss comeback is on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

HYUFD said:

DJ41a said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss allies leaking she will let Sunak lose the next general election.

Then once rid of Sunak and Hunt she will stand again for the party leadership to be Leader of the Opposition to PM Starmer

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1621818468407320578?s=20&t=qpFVaJbbb9vHlMXTEeVtxA

Why would her allies say something like that?
    One of those morbid signs that a party is beginning to give up, and longs to be able to ignore reality from the safety of opposition. There was quite a lot of chuntering along those lines in the run-up to 1997
    Indeed, by 1996 rightwing Tories were planning on letting Major lose the 1997 general election then reviving the Thatcherite flame in Opposition under Michael Portillo.

Until the electors of Enfield Southgate intervened of course!
    Which is the danger of embracing defeat- it risks turning that defeat into a rout that will take a decade or more to recover from. Though even Portillo's personal survival in 1997 was unlikely to end in him becoming Prime Minister.

Even if a party knows it's going to lose, even if it knows defeat is probably for the best, it still has to fight to win.
    It's funny. In 1997 it was obvious to the Conservatives this was a 'two election' strategy, so someone like Portillo wouldn't have wanted the job anyway as defeat in 2001 would've likely been fatal to him and therefore his chance of becoming Prime Minister.

They went for William Hague, who by the late 2000s, was easily capable of being PM, in 1997 he was not and would not be able to grow into the role by 2001 anyway (Hague to me was always at his strongest between 2007 and 2015).

They should've gone for a Michael Howard-type in 1997 (and in 1997 that wasn't necessarily Michael Howard). Someone to win them at least 20 seats, and ideally 40, in 2001 to allow them a springboard for 2005.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

What is quite surprising is the idea that Truss has 'allies'. I can understand why you might sympathise with her, but how can she seriously be regarded as the answer to anything, she is universally regarded as a joke and a failure. The mind boggles. Surely you would support someone else?

Now that's not fair.

She is the answer to the following:

'Who was Britain's shortest serving Prime Minister, disallowing those who were unable to form a cabinet?'

'Who was Prime Minister when the shortest serving Chancellor who did not die in office was in the role?'

'Who was Prime Minister when Queen Elizabeth II died?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to take office in Scotland?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to be appointed without winning the support of a majority of MPs in a ballot since 1964?'

'Who had the silliest Downing Street lectern?'

That's enough to guarantee her a place in the history books, alongside the likes of the great Spencer Perceval and Lord Goderich.

Yes. But (unless I have missed the substance of the point) ADH became PM in October 1963, not 1964. One of my earliest political memories.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Truss is, of course, the stupidest politician ever.

The policies that she wanted though can't be judged by their lowly proponent.

• Options

HYUFD said: "Basically she is Barry Goldwater or Rand Paul in a skirt"

Rand Paul? Now that is cruel. I don't know enough about Liz Truss to say whether that's cruel but fair, or just cruel. But I doubt that, for example, she has a father who has dabbled in racism.

Rand Paul in a dress... Wouldn't that be RuPaul?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    If Raab is sacked, would Kemi Badenoch be a possible candidate for deputy PM?
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023

Regarding Mr. Gill's earlier 'comments' on this site, I do wonder if these people actually believe in what they type, or if they've thought through the logical conclusion if they were ever to 'win' the war they think they're fighting.

Like Tucker Carlson, who spends his days bashing vaccines yet has made sure he's fully jabbed, they're doing it for the money I suppose.

But if they won, and I mean truly won, they'd hate the world they helped create. A vaccineless world, where death was a lot more common and Russia ruled everything. No chance to vote, express an opinion or anything. The boot stamping on the human face forever.
    And of course, their usefulness at an end, they'd be first to be liquidated by the regime anyway......

Strange mindset. I can't understand how they do it.

But could Mr Gill be Leon's tulpa?
    (Bet you hadn't thought of that possibility :smile: )

The image of assassins streaming out from Thai dojos to avenge the king's daughter showed literary talent. The following chapter will probably be set in the Pfizer boardroom.

Other shorter posts by Mr Gill were more similar to the aggressive words of a drunk, "pal".

Incidentally, are you fighting critics of vaccination programmes in the 2020s or Communist Party intellectuals in the 1930s? Or are "these people" always around, in one guise or another?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264
    edited February 2023
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

darkage said:

What is quite surprising is the idea that Truss has 'allies'. I can understand why you might sympathise with her, but how can she seriously be regarded as the answer to anything, she is universally regarded as a joke and a failure. The mind boggles. Surely you would support someone else?

Now that's not fair.

She is the answer to the following:

'Who was Britain's shortest serving Prime Minister, disallowing those who were unable to form a cabinet?'

'Who was Prime Minister when the shortest serving Chancellor who did not die in office was in the role?'

'Who was Prime Minister when Queen Elizabeth II died?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to take office in Scotland?'

'Who was the only Prime Minister to be appointed without winning the support of a majority of MPs in a ballot since 1964?'

'Who had the silliest Downing Street lectern?'

That's enough to guarantee her a place in the history books, alongside the likes of the great Spencer Perceval and Lord Goderich.

Yes. But (unless I have missed the substance of the point) ADH became PM in October 1963, not 1964. One of my earliest political memories.

The substance of the point was he was the last PM to be appointed without a ballot. Wilson came to office the following year having been himself elected in an exhaustive ballot of MPs in 1963.

It is slightly misleading because I thought the Conservatives adopted the ballot system in 1964, but in fact it was adopted in February/March 1965. So we could go for any of those three years.

We could be really finicky and say 'who was the first MP since 1960 to be appointed without winning the support...' as Home was of course a peer on his appointment?

Interestingly, of course, Wilson was only the second Prime Minister who had become leader through a formal ballot of party members - the first being Attlee (I suppose could be made for Macdonald. But he was elected Chairman under the old annual leader 'Buggins turn' system and the rules changed while he was in office.) Even that's made a bit murkier as Attlee was the acting leader by acclamation at the time of the 1935 leadership election, so a case could be made Wilson was the first (stop me if i'm boring you...)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Rand Paul? Now that is cruel. I don't know enough about Liz Truss to say whether that's cruel but fair, or just cruel. But I doubt that, for example, she has a father who has dabbled in racism.

I met her on a Monday and she looked the biz
    Rand, Ru, Ron, Ron, Ron. Rand, Ru, Ron, Ron.

Somebody told me that her name was Liz
    Rand, Ru, Ron, Ron, Ron. Rand, Ru, Ron, Ron.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

No, RuPaul is much smarter.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    A bit off topic, but it is astonishing how many miles cars do in Finland. A Toyota Land Cruiser in Finland for sale for 3000 Euros, only done 787000 kilometres.

https://www.nettiauto.com/toyota/land-cruiser/13329190
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

No, RuPaul is much smarter.
    RuPaul is clearly a Tory, famous for the Thatcherite anthem "You better work".
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Omnium said:

Truss is, of course, the stupidest politician ever. ..

Lot of competition for that title.

Today's contender.
    China believes America is a weakened superpower with a reputation of strength that no longer holds true

And their message will now be that if Biden wouldn’t even shoot down a balloon,he isn’t going to do jack if China takes territory from India or Japan or invades Taiwan

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1621883408883277826
  • Options
    On Topic: I've recently been watching Veep for the first time, and the trajectories of the careers of Selina Meyer and Liz Truss have weird parallels. I've not finished season 7, so I don't know if Meyer makes a comeback or not, but I'm going to base my prediction of Truss's future career on the outcome of this TV series.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    darkage said:

Allies might be a tad strong, but there's obviously lots of MPs and plenty beyond the MPs they never wanted and still do not want Sunak, so it will be easy to find people willing to say she was or is the answer - because Sunak has not been able to turn things around (whether he could have managed ok if he had come immediately after Boris who knows) the 'she was right but did it badly/was brought down by the global elite or whatever' crowd of MPs (circa 100), and the vast ranks of Tory members and commentariat who wanted to believe what she was selling will find a voice.

I always felt the level of dislike some expressed for Truss pre her premiership was a bit overblown, and even some of what she wanted to do was not inherently bad. She was just really incompetent, and she and Kwarteng have to accept their role in being entirely unprepared for any pushback on their plans (and not even getting MPs on board first).

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Today's contender.
    China believes America is a weakened superpower with a reputation of strength that no longer holds true

And their message will now be that if Biden wouldn’t even shoot down a balloon,he isn’t going to do jack if China takes territory from India or Japan or invades Taiwan

Come along. A mere token of irrationality, and no harm done!

(The closest to Truss awfulness so far as I can see is a Pope)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Off topic - is Klopp in trouble at Liverpool? I think he might be. Personally not in favour of chopping and changing managers, but it’s not looking good.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Nigelb said:

@MoonRabbit was asking the last couple of days about Ukrainian civilians on the front line.
    This article gives a hint of the reality.
    https://kyivindependent.com/national/one-night-in-bakhmut-inside-the-bleak-world-of-citys-civilians-as-russia-draws-closer

Thankyou. Brilliant piece of journalism with great pictures.

“Most of them say openly that they’re waiting for Russia.”

Yes. I posted yesterday. From the France24 piece it seemed the 10% still there see Ukraine with Belarus and Russia.

My concern was spies amongst this local population, where residents France 24 interviewed were staunchly on the Russian side - as Ukraine soldiers peer from trenches towards the Russian lines, these Russia supporters are in the housing behind them under guise of civilians.
    More important than all the weapons gifts to Ukraine is the country’s own fighting personnel. But none of the rest of you appear bothered by this, so I must have it wrong.

The bits I have seen of kyiv independent, it has been very independent and balanced considering the attack on Ukraine and war going on. Truth is supposed to be first casualty of war, maybe they arn’t doing it right.

From your piece “Cossack-style haircut” so out of this brew of Ukraine, Russian and Polish nationalism, who are the Cossacks? Are they split across all the nationalism based on area they come from, such as in 1939 70% of Lyiv residents identified as Polish nationalism?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited February 2023
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Then once rid of Sunak and Hunt she will stand again for the party leadership to be Leader of the Opposition to PM Starmer

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1621818468407320578?s=20&t=qpFVaJbbb9vHlMXTEeVtxA

Gove. Safe seat, tolerates thankless jobs, would actually be good at it.
    SKS could not cope with Gove as LOTO. Gove is superb on his feet and uses humour and politeness as stilettos. Don't see the Tory party going for it but it would be a good choice. Certainly a lot better than Truss.
  • Options
    Will we have Opinium tonight? What will it say do we think?
  • Options

It won’t say a Tory lead, I’ll commit to that…
  • Options
    DavidL said:

carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

SKS could not cope with Gove as LOTO. Gove is superb on his feet and uses humour and politeness as stilettos. Don't see the Tory party going for it but it would be a good choice. Certainly a lot better than Truss.
    He's desperately unpopular with the public though.
  • Options

Off topic - is Klopp in trouble at Liverpool? I think he might be. Personally not in favour of chopping and changing managers, but it’s not looking good.

He’s bulletproof.
  • Options

I have a view.

Firstly it’s late. 2 weeks was last week.

Last 4 have Tories on 29%, and last Saturday afternoon I predicted it would be 29%. I am anticipating Tories on 28 if there is one today.
  • Options

DavidL said:

carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

So he matches his party perfectly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

I always said that I couldn't choose between Johnson and Corbyn, so I abstained.

If Gove had been leader, I'd have voted for Corbyn.
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    For how long?
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    For how long?
    For the rest of his contract.
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    For how long?
    You really think that?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    For the first time I've concluded it was better Johnson won the 2019 GE. But he should have been removed straight away.

So in summary, I was wrong - again
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    Yes, but he might walk away. He is a brilliant manager and he had his team playing out of his skins year after year until they were physically and psychologically exhausted. I am not sure what else he has to give. It also shows you what an incredible manager SAF was. He not only built great teams but constantly evolved them. Klopp has stayed with what worked but it is not working any more.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Today's contender.

They should have brought it down. My idea of “oops, where did that come from, into our testing unmanned drone zone. Soz. Would you like what’s left back” would have done the trick.
  • Options

For the first time I've concluded it was better Johnson won the 2019 GE. But he should have been removed straight away.

So in summary, I was wrong - again

Can happen to the best of us, Horse.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    Great away game at the Villa. Leicester coming from behind twice. Tete looks a magic signing.

Our next fixtures are tough, but actually looking forward to Spurs at home next Saturday now.

• Options

He won’t be there next season. It won’t be a sacking, it will be a mutual chat mutual decision. It’s not his fault, the owners have stopped backing him in transfer windows. Makes idea they beat Man City to Bellingham a fantasy dream. New owners will appoint Stevie G - new era and all that.
  • Options
    Great start for England in the rugby. Not.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    England even worse than ever. Fuck this shit
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    For how long?
    Even when Everton go past them in the table?
  • Options

He won’t be there next season. It won’t be a sacking, it will be a mutual chat mutual decision. It’s not his fault, the owners have stopped backing him in transfer windows. Makes idea they beat Man City to Bellingham a fantasy dream. New owners will appoint Stevie G - new era and all that.
    I think Klopp gets another season, but it does seem that Mane was critical to their team.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Leon said:

Ah - that England try just now was great though
  • Options
    That was too laboured from England. Tsk
  • Options

Leon said:

Ah - that England try just now was great though
    No, it wasn’t
  • Options
    What.
    A.
    Try.
  • Options
    That’s some individual try.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Amazing try
  • Options

What.
    A.
    Try.

Doesn't count, he's not really Scottish.
  • Options
    Scotland deserve to win, already, Terrible defence, clueless tackling. Fuck this shit
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think Klopp gets another season, but it does seem that Mane was critical to their team.
    A modern day Samson and Delilah?
  • Options

He’s bulletproof.
    For how long?
    Even when Everton go past them in the table?
    Even then.
  • Options

What.
    A.
    Try.

England are not averse to players from outside the shores of Albion.
  • Options

What.
    A.
    Try.

England are not averse to players from outside the shores of Albion.
    Hush.
  • Options
    I’m so bored of England being shite at rugby. Four years now? With the biggest player base in the world?

It’s just bollocks

I am not feeling MMMMMboppy
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    The thing with Trump is he has a base of support (perhaps shrinking) among the electorate who will back him come what may. By comparison Johnson and Truss are just has beens with no self awareness.
  • Options
    What a try.

We love you England.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m so bored of England being shite at rugby. Four years now? With the biggest player base in the world?

It’s just bollocks

LLLEEEOOONNNDDDAAAMMMUUUUSSSS….
  • Options
    Good clinical finish.
  • Options

Leon said:

It’s just bollocks

Thanks. At least someone appreciates my work
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s just bollocks

Thanks. At least someone appreciates my work
    Worth a 16th man on the field
  • Options
    “Truss is particularly entrenched in her view that the Office for Budget Responsibility, the body that makes official forecasts, has too much power. “She thinks they can make and break governments, that we’ve outsourced decision-making and economic policy to an unelected body,”

Truss is absolutely right. Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions. there is an argument Labours at fault here for this road taken, in that they took power out of hands of elected politicians and handed it to bankers. Osborne adding to it creating OBR. As we see with covid lockdowns and transfer medicals - scientists can’t say lock down stay open as doctors can’t say yes or no sign this player, they should merely report their view from their narrow specialism, decisions are for politicians so they can steer it ideologically.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

The thing with Trump is he has a base of support (perhaps shrinking) among the electorate who will back him come what may. By comparison Johnson and Truss are just has beens with no self awareness.

And unlike Berlusconi, Johnson isn't a billionaire, doesn't own half the TV stations in the country, and doesn't have his own private political party.
  • Options

“Truss is particularly entrenched in her view that the Office for Budget Responsibility, the body that makes official forecasts, has too much power. “She thinks they can make and break governments, that we’ve outsourced decision-making and economic policy to an unelected body,”

Truss is absolutely right. Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions. there is an argument Labours at fault here for this road taken, in that they took power out of hands of elected politicians and handed it to bankers. Osborne adding to it creating OBR. As we see with covid lockdowns and transfer medicals - scientists can’t say lock down stay open as doctors can’t say yes or no sign this player, they should merely report their view from their narrow specialism, decisions are for politicians so they can steer it ideologically.

Ah you're being ToryRabbit today then, ok mate
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Today's contender.

They should have brought it down. My idea of “oops, where did that come from, into our testing unmanned drone zone. Soz. Would you like what’s left back” would have done the trick.
    I think the plan is to take it down over water and recover it for analysis.
    So we can expect a few more days of the nonsense,

The Republican scaremongering over this is beyond pitiful.
  • Options
    This is Scotland FFS. At home. We are playing a nation that still has traditional trans-rape in female prisons, ritually applauded by the ululating pubically-bewoaded First Minister in her tartan lesbo-sporran in a pit near Stirling

We should be winning 79-0
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Today's contender.

I think the plan is to take it down over water and recover it for analysis.
    So we can expect a few more days of the nonsense,

The Republican scaremongering over this is beyond pitiful.
    Especially given WS-119L and the later D-21
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

This is Scotland FFS. At home. We are playing a nation that still has traditional trans-rape in female prisons, ritually applauded by the ululating pubically-bewoaded First Minister in her tartan lesbo-sporran in a pit near Stirling

Scotland is our same sovereign nation (as indeed is Ireland which includes part of the UK, Northern Ireland, at rugby), only France and Italy are really fully foreign nations in 6 nations.

Plus most Scottish rugby union players and supporters (including Princess Anne) are Unionists and dislike Sturgeon unlike Scottish football players and supporters who will back the SNP on the whole
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s unfair. Scotland are a much improved side in recent times. In particular they score tries with the backs, and have solid first phase play. England lost the last WC final as their scrum and line out was destroyed. The first job for any side is parity as a minimum up front.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Leon said:

Stop channeling Fucker Carlson. You are rubbish at it.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228

Outlaw mathematics while you're at it.
  • Options
    Got most of these.

Who Said It: George Santos or George Costanza?
    See how well you tell apart the fabulists from “Seinfeld” and Congress.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/170085/george-santos-george-costanza-seinfeld
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    If Sunak were even average-ly competent as a political leader, she wouldn't try, but he's not, so she will.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

On topic - how incredible. This kind of crazy thinking seems to have infected the Tory brain since at least 2016. I blame Boris Jonestown.

Yes. With the insanity of Liz Truss drawing most of the attention, it's easy to forget that Boris was a considerable oddball himself. It's possible that the man has destroyed the Tory party as a potent political force for ever. It doesn't always feel that way now because they're still in power, but after the next election if the opinion polls are anything to go by...? Who knows?
    Yes. He's trashed the Tories and since Brexit delivered the party unto him this means Brexit has trashed the Tories. So look no further for the holy grail of Brexit benefits. It might be the only one but it's huge.
  • Options

Aside from the top headline, best PM is a watcher with this firm. We have often wondered if it also has swingback built in as it has been a lot harsher on Starmer v Truss and his new opponent. Off top my head Starmer nudged ahead in the last Opinium, I suspect squeezing out a slightly bigger lead.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    kinabalu said:

On topic - how incredible. This kind of crazy thinking seems to have infected the Tory brain since at least 2016. I blame Boris Jonestown.

Yes. With the insanity of Liz Truss drawing most of the attention, it's easy to forget that Boris was a considerable oddball himself. It's possible that the man has destroyed the Tory party as a potent political force for ever. It doesn't always feel that way now because they're still in power, but after the next election if the opinion polls are anything to go by...? Who knows?
    Yes. He's trashed the Tories and since Brexit delivered the party unto him this means Brexit has trashed the Tories. So look no further for the holy grail of Brexit benefits. It might be the only one but it's huge.
    If it wasn't for Brexit Corbyn could have become PM.

In a 2020 election of Corbyn v Osborne after a narrow Remain win in 2016 and Cameron retires as PM by the end of the term and hands over to the less charismatic Chancellor, easy to see UKIP on 20%+ of the vote, Corbyn pushes an anti austerity line hard and the Tories and Labour tied on around 30% to 35% and Corbyn PM in a hung parliament with SNP support.

Only Brexit and the collapse of UKIP assured the Tories of most seats in 2017 and with Boris a big majority in 2019
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Maybe there is a funny link between Wales and Liverpool. Ageing players off the pace. I wonder if Gatland might feel now is the time to move on Alyn Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric and Dan Biggar. I presume Ken Owens is safe as captain. Rhys Davies, Aaron Wainwright and Patchell/Williams to come in?
  • Options

Leon said:

That’s unfair. Scotland are a much improved side in recent times. In particular they score tries with the backs, and have solid first phase play. England lost the last WC final as their scrum and line out was destroyed. The first job for any side is parity as a minimum up front.
    Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

The result should not be in dispute
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Nothing illuminates the mire into which the Tories have sunk more vividly than that Loopy Liz actually thinks she might have a way back.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Outlaw mathematicians choosing spiritual and ideological direction of countries, yes, I am arguing, Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions, and asking has too much decision making been outsourced by politicians.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

Head vs heart. I agree with the sentiment. First ever England match I went to was England 13 - 7 Scotland in 1991. Hate losing to them. 2000 and 1990 are etched into my memories, never to leave, no matter how often we win.
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023
    A second balloon has been reported over America, this time over countries in the central and southern parts of that continent: Costa Rica, Colombia, and Venezuela. Perhaps it's heading to the Falklands?

The US Pentagon says it's Chinese. Not sure the Chinese government have said anything about it yet.

If I were Hagbard Celine, I'd release 10 similar balloons in different places around the world. Setting up a Marian apparition at one or two would be cool too.

• Options

Are you playing the girl not the ball yet again? So, Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions, where do you stand on wondering if too much decision making has been outsourced by politicians?
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

A second balloon has been reported over America, this time over countries in the central and southern parts of that continent: Costa Rica, Colombia, and Venezuela. Perhaps it's heading to the Falklands?

The US Pentagon says it's Chinese. Not sure the Chinese government have said anything about it yet.

If I were Hagbard Celine, I'd release 10 similar balloons in different places around the world. Setting up a Marian apparition at one or two would be cool too.

Its either the AI or aliens. Or both have formed an alliance together with the woke trans and Bill Gates.
  • Options

Are you playing the girl not the ball yet again? So, Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions, where do you stand on wondering if too much decision making has been outsourced by politicians?
    “idea’s” ??
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

Head vs heart. I agree with the sentiment. First ever England match I went to was England 13 - 7 Scotland in 1991. Hate losing to them. 2000 and 1990 are etched into my memories, never to leave, no matter how often we win.
    Have the English ever feared the Scots? As in, literally, militarily, culturally?

No. It’s a category error. It’s like saying do the Germans fear the Heligolanders, or does the mighty Arctic walrus fear a gnat doing a poo
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

Have the English ever feared the Scots? As in, literally, militarily, culturally?

No. It’s a category error. It’s like saying do the Germans fear the Heligolanders, or does the mighty Arctic walrus fear a gnat doing a poo
    William Wallace, after all he even beheaded the King's nephew when he and his Scottish army sacked York and Edward I knew from then on if he did not defeat him he and his son could have been next.

Bonnie Prince Charlie too when his Jacobite army even reached Derby at one stage and the court of King George II then started to panic
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,767
    edited February 2023
    kamski said:

And unlike Berlusconi, Johnson isn't a billionaire, doesn't own half the TV stations in the country, and doesn't have his own private political party.
    Another sign of the decline of the UK. Even our weird populist leaders are a bit fawlty.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789
    Nigelb said:

Got most of these.

Who Said It: George Santos or George Costanza?
    See how well you tell apart the fabulists from “Seinfeld” and Congress.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/170085/george-santos-george-costanza-seinfeld

I got 80% and I've never even seen Seinfeld.

It reminds me of the similar one challenging one to decide if a manifesto statement was from the MRLP or UKIP: I got most of them right by assuming that the former would be saner.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

“idea’s” ??
    Darwin observed we domesticated sheep, they became different, the horns disappeared, they became more timid. They forgot what they used to know when they were noble savage sheep.

So the question you have added is brilliant. When politicians outsourced so much decision making, do they become less radical, and idealogical? Idea’s and creative thinking from politicians, so important for problem solving, dry up?
  • Options
    Ahead of a MUCH anticipated return to fray, on the pages of the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow, what is the former PM, @trussliz really up to?
    #bbclaurak 'Liz was mad, but right' - says one of her colleagues, but another says 'she was a false prophet'

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1621870594919743489
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

Frank Lampard's available and close by.
  • Options

Ahead of a MUCH anticipated return to fray, on the pages of the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow, what is the former PM, @trussliz really up to?
    #bbclaurak 'Liz was mad, but right' - says one of her colleagues, but another says 'she was a false prophet'

She was certainly a false profit, given the losses investors and mortgage holders suffered during her tenure…
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kamski said:

Another sign of the decline of the UK. Even our weird populist leaders are a bit fawlty.
    Silvio is richer than Trump and miles richer than Boris, also had loads of women and been PM of Italy for more time than they were US President and UK PM combined and his party is back in a coalition government with him still its President at 86.

Berlusconi is still the King of rightwing populists
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

William Wallace, after all he even beheaded the King's nephew when he and his Scottish army sacked York and Edward I knew from then on if he did not defeat him he and his son could have been next.

Bonnie Prince Charlie too when his Jacobite army even reached Derby at one stage and the court of King George II then started to panic
    I understood the court of King George II didn’t panic, they changed the war manager and got a new manager bounce.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Silvio is richer than Trump and miles richer than Boris, also had loads of women and been PM of Italy for more time than they were US President and UK PM combined and his party is back in power with him still its President at 86.

Berlusconi is still the King of rightwing populists
    And what a miserable kingdom it is, to be sure.
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

Surely if spying, satellites are better or indeed smart fridges. Balloons go where the wind blows, not where they are wanted.

• Options

Tres said:

Outlaw mathematicians choosing spiritual and ideological direction of countries, yes, I am arguing, Economists and scientists are there to enable your ideological idea’s, not make the decisions, and asking has too much decision making been outsourced by politicians.
    If you can't understand the consequences of your spiritual and ideological direction you should be gently ushered to the back of the class. It is the failure of the Conservative party that they keep pushing numpties like Johnson and Truss to make these choices.
  • Options
    Truss's complaints about the OBR just reminds me of Kevin the Teenager bleating about how things aren't fair.
  • Options
    To be fair, this is a cracking game. Credit to both sides
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mate, it’s SCOTLAND

I understood the court of King George II didn’t panic, they changed the war manager and got a new manager bounce.
    Well the King had the royal yacht prepared to flee London on the news Derby had fallen to the Jacobites, which does suggest some concern
    https://www.unofficialroyalty.com/charles-edward-stuart/
  • Options
    Good that Scotland are still in it despite Finn Russell having one of his off-ish days.
  • Options

Not just a false prophet, a guaranteed loss.
  • Options

The Tory party has become utterly delusional. I thought this kind of stuff happened in opposition, not in government.
This discussion has been closed.