Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot from Peter the Punter: Matthew and Peter Go To T

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

PtP - did you make it to Frinton?

It's got a fuddy duddy reputation BUT the beach is glorious, the grass promenade is vast (bring a kite) and as for the golf course by the sea, I've lost more balls on that than the times "EICIPM" has been posted on PB, ...well almost and I've only played there a few times!

Top top place if you want an old fashioned break.... breaks my heart just a little to see it being the first constituency to vote for a NIMBYkipper MP to Parliament.

Not yesterday, Scrap, but I remember it fondly from my childhood - and in exactly the way you describe.

A UKIP canvasser tells me he did Frinton recently and the respondents were breaking about 10 Kippers for every 8 Con. Since we can safely assume that it is normally a strong Tory area that suggests Carswell is in, but Watling will earn a respectable second.

Sorry but that's all the comfort I can offer you.

Yup if Frinton is UKIP, then the other areas will be much more so - although how many usual non-voters will vote this time for DC but may not bother as the novelty has gone in May 2015 combined with a free 'moan' at Westminster this time knowing there's only months until it all happens again means Watling must have another go then - I've been very impressed by him.
    At least you remember who the Tory candidate in Clacton is.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Iraq/Syria

The understanding is that Kobani is pretty much done. BBC news reports look to be out of date.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

@Flightpath

Your post reflects the Toronto I stayed in and enjoyed earlier this.

You mean the comments in the newspaper article? I'm sure it was very nice, I was not intending to imply otherwise.
    It sounds much like London, am I right?
    Yes, the comments in the article.

I found it vibrant and interesting. And there's plenty of money there. I would liken it though to the larger mid-Western North American cities than anything in Europe.

I preferred it to Montreal, which is showing serious signs of urban decline.
    There's a heck of a lot of urban sprawl spreading out from Toronto, which I found very soulless. One area I did find interesting was "Bloordale Village" - used to be rough as anything, but the hipsters have now arrived. Nice old houses and some interesting businesses.
    35 years ago I lived in Markham, ON which was a very nice area then. Presumably it still is.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Iraq/Syria

The understanding is that Kobani is pretty much done. BBC news reports look to be out of date.

Turkey&ISIS will be happy.
  • Options
    Yougov later still - Labour lead in double digits then!!!!

(c) TSE
  • Options

It's got a fuddy duddy reputation BUT the beach is glorious, the grass promenade is vast (bring a kite) and as for the golf course by the sea, I've lost more balls on that than the times "EICIPM" has been posted on PB, ...well almost and I've only played there a few times!

Top top place if you want an old fashioned break.... breaks my heart just a little to see it being the first constituency to vote for a NIMBYkipper MP to Parliament.

Not yesterday, Scrap, but I remember it fondly from my childhood - and in exactly the way you describe.

A UKIP canvasser tells me he did Frinton recently and the respondents were breaking about 10 Kippers for every 8 Con. Since we can safely assume that it is normally a strong Tory area that suggests Carswell is in, but Watling will earn a respectable second.

Yup if Frinton is UKIP, then the other areas will be much more so - although how many usual non-voters will vote this time for DC but may not bother as the novelty has gone in May 2015 combined with a free 'moan' at Westminster this time knowing there's only months until it all happens again means Watling must have another go then - I've been very impressed by him.
    You prompt an observation I made from listening to voters from Frinton and Jaywick.

Disenchanted Tories (from Frinton) are inclined to vote UKIP. Disenchanted Labour voters (Jaywick) are inclined not to vote.

If this dynamic operates countrywide, it has far reaching implications for the General Election - and of course our betting!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Yougov later still - Labour lead in double digits then!!!!

(c) TSE

Is there a way we can accurately guess the Tory/Lab lead depending on when it's released? I know only Tory leads get released early.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour ahead by one point: CON 33%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,305
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour ahead by one point: CON 33%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%
  • Options
    Plato said:

I love some American names that we hardly see over here. Thought I'd die laughing if someone over here told me their name was Butch or Duke - maybe Earl would get a pass.

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

Idaho gets a stay of the Supreme Court ruling overturning gay marriage bans, at the request of its governor

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/oct/08/justice-kennedy-blocks-ruling-allowing-gay-marriag/

The governor's name is Butch.

You should see some names of black college and NFL football players - my favorite for years was Antwaan Randle El
  • Options
    Btw, somebody asked earlier what Clacton was like. Well, I'd say Marf's cartoon captures it very well. I swear I saw those two myself yesterday.

The couple on the bench look familiar too.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Flightpath Yes, well Cameron won't mind if he is still his poodle next year!

And even if so it does not say much for Clegg either does it? I fear it will be a very sanctimonioius election.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour ahead by one point: CON 33%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%

The Labour lead is 3-4 % remember ;)

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
    LAB - 34% (=)
    CON - 33% (+1)
    UKIP - 14% (-1)
    LDEM - 7% (-1)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    I was in Frinton the other day, and the people I spoke to seemed pretty engaged in the election.. though that might just be because I was... and because it is more marginal there maybe

Anyway I backed OVER 50% turnout at 5/6.. Paddy Power opened up 4/5 and it was backed into 4/9 before they pulled it, I was surprised Ladbrokes went 5/6 knowing that.

We shall see....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,685
    Tim_B said:

@Flightpath

You mean the comments in the newspaper article? I'm sure it was very nice, I was not intending to imply otherwise.

I found it vibrant and interesting. And there's plenty of money there. I would liken it though to the larger mid-Western North American cities than anything in Europe.

There's a heck of a lot of urban sprawl spreading out from Toronto, which I found very soulless. One area I did find interesting was "Bloordale Village" - used to be rough as anything, but the hipsters have now arrived. Nice old houses and some interesting businesses.
    35 years ago I lived in Markham, ON which was a very nice area then. Presumably it still is.
    Not far from where I spent a couple of nights. Yes - a decent area.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

I love some American names that we hardly see over here. Thought I'd die laughing if someone over here told me their name was Butch or Duke - maybe Earl would get a pass.

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

Idaho gets a stay of the Supreme Court ruling overturning gay marriage bans, at the request of its governor

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/oct/08/justice-kennedy-blocks-ruling-allowing-gay-marriag/

You should see some names of black college and NFL football players - my favorite for years was Antwaan Randle El
    I once worked with a Chuck Mudd. Nobody believes it when I tell them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The Labour lead is 3-4 % remember ;)

2010 Lib Dem firewall
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    God, these types of polls are the worst for Labour. Not good enough to be truly confident, not disastrous enough to make them realise something has to change. They'll remain stuck in limbo.
  • Options

You prompt an observation I made from listening to voters from Frinton and Jaywick.

Disenchanted Tories (from Frinton) are inclined to vote UKIP. Disenchanted Labour voters (Jaywick) are inclined not to vote.

If this dynamic operates countrywide, it has far reaching implications for the General Election - and of course our betting!
    Actually you raise a point. One that I asked about in relation to the Scottish referendum but never got a fix on, and that was motivation. Notably in the strongest percentage areas for a Yes vote turnout was often at its lowest.

Ok so split across the fraction of marginals that really make decisions motivation of each bloc is critical but take it wider across the 600 odd constituencies. This motivation variable could lead to the occasionally talked about idea of one party getting the most votes but another getting the most seats.

That would be a curious situation.
  • Options
    isam said:

I was in Frinton the other day, and the people I spoke to seemed pretty engaged in the election.. though that might just be because I was... and because it is more marginal there maybe

Anyway I backed OVER 50% turnout at 5/6.. Paddy Power opened up 4/5 and it was backed into 4/9 before they pulled it, I was surprised Ladbrokes went 5/6 knowing that.

We shall see....

The town was politically apathetic, Sam. Honestly, I didn't play it up for effect in the thread piece.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Test
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Arguably the most encouraging YouGov of the week for Con.

On the face of it the polls showing them ahead were better for them. But it is obvious that the bounce would fade to some degree - to be just 1% behind a full 7 days after Cameron's speech implies some significant improvement in their position which is now showing signs of being sustained.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Just watched Prof David Reynolds programme on the Long Shadow of the first world war. Sobering reminder of the devastating consequences of nationalism. It had so many echoes for Ireland, Scotland and other countries in Europe - and a reminder of the heroic achievements of the like of Robert Schumann.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

I once worked with a Chuck Mudd. Nobody believes it when I tell them.
    I went to elementary school with a Christopher Thistlethwaite. Unfortunately he had a speech impediment.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,123
    MikeL And Labour remain on Kinnock's total in 1992
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Erm, the ghettos of the Chinese community are the most visible and famous of all.

Visible and famous, but not large. An interesting feature of the British Chinese population is how diffuse it is, rather than being concentrated in just a handful of cities (I can't provide a strong citation, but Wikipedia at least agrees with me). When I lived in the Norfolk Boondocks, it was surprising just how many Chinese people would congregate for the New Year celebrations. There was no particular community centre, so not a "spacial" community in the same way a stereotypical "ghetto" community would be. Instead, lots of individuals just came together from various little towns and villages. But they had very strong community and social ties, without living in the same place.

On the flip side, there are vast chunks of, say, East London which initially seem starkly homogeneous to an outside observer. I think the (deliberately?) unhelpful term "ghetto" is usually intended, in a British context, to demark such places. But on closer inspection, it's rarely a single coherent "community" in the way the authentic Jewish ghetto was - particularly not one all gathered together under a single Community Leader, beloved of TV news. Superficial similarities of skin colour and dress can conceal the intermingling of diverse cultures. Different "home countries", different regions/languages, different religious affiliations, all with different social and support networks. As well as and different TV stations, cuisines, film and musical icons, attitudes to alcohol, sports teams - the whole gamut.

I think it's the impression of the "homogeneous ghetto", as well as an unsettling sense of being "foreign within one's own country", that drives a lot of the queasiness many people feel about large-scale immigration. Rarely inhabitants of diverse cities themselves, but there are plenty of folk from outside London who come away with the "not our country anymore" impression that UKIP feed off. As an exception to my generalisation, I know a few from the Newham/Barking/Havering axis who have had the impression of being "pushed out" to the east. On anecdotal grounds it's not surprising that the BNP's last serious stand in the southeast was at Barking, nor that UKIP feel they are making headway in Havering and Thurrock. Nor is it surprising there isn't much general ill-will towards Chinese migrants - except, as far as I can discern, from groups like street traders who feel they have been displaced economically, rather than spatially.
  • Options

@Flightpath

Sounds like Jericho... in Oxford.
    But urban sprawl is nothing new. Lets face it many Stevenson Screens have been taken over by urban sprawl so no wonder some of us wonder about the validity of the land surface temperature records.
  • Options
    The LibDem conference bounce is clearly distorting tonight's YouGov. True position: 5%.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yokel What understanding? As far as I can see Kurdish guerrillas are picking off ISIS fighters in the streets in the day, coalition air strikes hitting them at night
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

God, these types of polls are the worst for Labour. Not good enough to be truly confident, not disastrous enough to make them realise something has to change. They'll remain stuck in limbo.

Labour took a hit at their conference and the Tory conference. They haven't had any opportunity to do anything as yet as it's still conference season. The convention is you stay silent when another party is in conference.

We need to see how they respond next week onwards.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

I work with an American lady who has bestowed the name "Amyrkle" upon her fortunate offspring.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Actually you raise a point. One that I asked about in relation to the Scottish referendum but never got a fix on, and that was motivation. Notably in the strongest percentage areas for a Yes vote turnout was often at its lowest.

Ok so split across the fraction of marginals that really make decisions motivation of each bloc is critical but take it wider across the 600 odd constituencies. This motivation variable could lead to the occasionally talked about idea of one party getting the most votes but another getting the most seats.

The equation is complex though, Yokel.

What I took away from Clacton (apart from a slight tummy upset) was the feeling that UKIP will prosper where there is disenchantment among conservative voters. Where there is disenchantment among Labour voters, turnout will be down.

Now if you can factor that into your constituency betting, you may be on to something.
  • Options
    Flightpath I don't disagree
  • Options
    MikeL said:

On the face of it the polls showing them ahead were better for them. But it is obvious that the bounce would fade to some degree - to be just 1% behind a full 7 days after Cameron's speech implies some significant improvement in their position which is now showing signs of being sustained.

The Tories are in their normal range. The Labour score is down, not without reason given their awful conference season. Yet they have not yet had any chance to make amends, due to going first, they have to wait a fortnight.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Labour took a hit at their conference and the Tory conference. They haven't had any opportunity to do anything as yet as it's still conference season. The convention is you stay silent when another party is in conference.

They have had 4 years and 3 conferences to come up with a coherent plan - what is so special about next week ? NHS focus week ? Shed tax ? NHS shed tax ? Tax on sheds for the NHS ?

Tube drivers striking though - that should cheer Labour up.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Not really, the Tories are on the same level as they where 2-3 weeks ago, its Labour that has dropped again.
  • Options
    I see the Speaker has been undermined again, this time by his 'enforcer' who has now had to resign for anti tory 'partisan comments' - at the LD conference.
    I would have thought simlpy appearing as a supporter at an LD conference would disbar her.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Danny565 said:

They have had 4 years and 3 conferences to come up with a coherent plan - what is so special about next week ? NHS focus week ? Shed tax ? NHS shed tax ? Tax on sheds for the NHS ?

Tube drivers striking though - that should cheer Labour up.
    My point is simply that they have had no chance to respond to a poor conference week. A simple procedural point really, no need for crap shed jokes.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014

Y0kel said:

What I took away from Clacton (apart from a slight tummy upset) was the feeling that UKIP will prosper where there is disenchantment among conservative voters. Where there is disenchantment among Labour voters, turnout will be down.
    The Ashcroft poll has UKIP getting 45% of 2010-Labour voters in Clacton.

table 3
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Clacton-poll-Full-data-tables-September-2014.pdf
  • Options

isam said:

We shall see....

The town was politically apathetic, Sam. Honestly, I didn't play it up for effect in the thread piece.
    4/6 now.. that might just be weight of money though... another punter I know thought the line should be 64%, and he was backing overs too, so must just be movement on trade from the Ladbrokes people

• Options
    HYUFD said:

And yet still they lead the Tories. Dire conference, no opportunity to bounce back as yet due to purdah and still they lead.

Hmm.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MikeL said:

Not really, the Tories are on the same level as they where 2-3 weeks ago, its Labour that has dropped again.
    Indeed. You read some bizarre stuff on here at times.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

I work with an American lady who has bestowed the name "Amyrkle" upon her fortunate offspring.
    A lady acquaintance of mine has ten children, all named Wayne. When she needs to address any of them individually, she uses their surname.

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    From what I've picked up on PB, Friday morning's news will be leading with "UKIP come a respectable second to Labour" then, after a story about Bake Off, "Oh, and they've also won their first seat".
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I can't see anything they can do unless they make different political choices. They have currently made a choice to not take a strong stance on anything out of fear of upsetting people. The thing is that because they've chickened out of opposing the Tories on the core economic argument, and have also abandoned the "responsible capitalism" thing out of idiotic fears of being seen as "anti-business", they have literally nothing interesting/distinctive to say. It won't matter how hard they work or how many interviews they give if the content of what they're saying is a big load of vacuous waffle as it has been lately.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And yet still they lead the Tories. Dire conference, no opportunity to bounce back as yet due to purdah and still they lead.

Hmm.
    You must be pleased with the way things are going. In opposition following the worst recession in living memory and you have sky rocketed to a 1% lead in the polls. Ed has truly galvanised his party and country.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm in Lurve. I've got a load of Julian Bream and Anton Karas [zithers] and these guys are perfect to go with them.

*nips off to get some more*
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

OT Anyone into Mambo/Latin music? I'm after some recommendations bar bog standard Mariachi or Santana/Gypsy Kings/Ricky Martin.

These guys played Glastonbury this year

Metallica on Spanish guitars anyone?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/rodrigo-y-gabriela/id912333323
  • Options
    Plato said:

I've only got Ultimate Santana - which I love most of. What other albums would you recommend?

Santana Moonflower is their best (double album). Transcendence has special significance for me and Mrs R. Europa has a sublime guitar solo.

• Options
    PB_MODERATOR

Assuming it was you, rather than some vanilla magic.

Thank you for rescuing my disappearing post. Presumably y0kel was having the same problem when he resorted to "test" posting. Any advice on what is setting off the filters today?
  • Options

saddened said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

A lady acquaintance of mine has ten children, all named Wayne. When she needs to address any of them individually, she uses their surname.

I'll get me coat.
    I like the Lee Nelson gag - he did a Posh & Becks and named his son after the place of conception - Stairwell.
  • Options
    Bobajob But last Friday when Labour was on the same total the Tories led, if the Tories win back a few more Kippers Labour are dead
  • Options

From what I've picked up on PB, Friday morning's news will be leading with "UKIP come a respectable second to Labour" then, after a story about Bake Off, "Oh, and they've also won their first seat".

Its not a big price Friday morning's headline on here will be "UKIP a disappointing 2nd in Heywood & Middleton"
  • Options
    SeanT/Yokel If you are really listening to Al Jazeera to get an objective viewpoint, you may as well listen to Fox
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bobajob But last Friday when Labour was on the same total the Tories led, if the Tories win back a few more Kippers Labour are dead

and if my auntie had a penis, she'd be my uncle etc.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

The Tories are in their normal range. The Labour score is down, not without reason given their awful conference season. Yet they have not yet had any chance to make amends, due to going first, they have to wait a fortnight.
    Labour are now fairly consistently below that magical 35 figure, tho, aren't they?

I find it hard to see a Labour overall majority if they can't hit 35. And with seven months to go, and the worst leader of any party in 40 years, and no credible manifesto, and an improving economy, and howlingly horrible polling on Labour economic competence, it's not lot looking great for your team.

If it weren't for the bias in FPTP I'd call this for the Tories right now.

As it is I think Miliband might sneak a tiny overall majority, more likely a plurality of seats.

It will be a miserable government, able to do nothing it wants, and forced to do everything it hates.
    Would you say Miliband is worse than Brown? Horrifyingly, I'm personally starting to think the answer is yes.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MikeL said:

My post was referring to the lead. Ultimately it is the lead that matters as that will decide Lab and Con seat numbers (unless UKIP rises massively to say 25%+).
  • Options
    I'm trying to find where those missing Labour votes have gone.
    I'm comparing the tables of 3 yougov polls and I haven't been able to find which party they've gone too. I suspect its people who didn't vote last time, since the 2010 voters don't account for the whole electorate.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    isam said:

Its not a big price Friday morning's headline on here will be "UKIP a disappointing 2nd in Heywood & Middleton"
    Be interesting to see how good a 2nd UKIP can get. Mr Goodman says their local election results promise better than the reported polls.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

HYUFD said:

Hmm.
    You make a reasonable point but at the same time parties get very few opportunities to totally dominate news bulletins.

For 90%+ of the time no politician is setting the agenda.

And nor is the public taking any notice of what any of them say.

So "bouncing back" is not something which is easily done.
  • Options

saddened said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

I'll get me coat.
    I like the Lee Nelson gag - he did a Posh & Becks and named his son after the place of conception - Stairwell.
    Do you think the same motif applies to the naming of Chelsea Clinton?
  • Options
    saddened said:

HYUFD said:

Hmm.
    You must be pleased with the way things are going. In opposition following the worst recession in living memory and you have sky rocketed to a 1% lead in the polls. Ed has truly galvanised his party and country.
    I doubt I'll win any political analysis awards for saying Labour would rather be 10 points ahead.
    Nor will I win many for saying many Tories had hoped and expected to have established a decisive lead by now, and haven't. Shit at both ends at the moment ain't it?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited October 2014
    The Lib Dem bounce is as impressive as their PPB.

It all seemed so different this morning. Suddenly the solution was obvious. Clegg would resign and the Libs would have a new start just a few months before the election. They'd pick up in the polls.....distance themselves from the Tories and they'd blame their last four years on Clegg........

....he could even stay on as DPM so he'd have a nice car to take his kids to school.......Win win all round. But what did the bastard go and do....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Labour are now fairly consistently below that magical 35 figure, tho, aren't they?

I find it hard to see a Labour overall majority if they can't hit 35. And with seven months to go, and the worst leader of any party in 40 years, and no credible manifesto, and an improving economy, and howlingly horrible polling on Labour economic competence, it's not lot looking great for your team.

As it is I think Miliband might sneak a tiny overall majority, more likely a plurality of seats.

It will be a miserable government, able to do nothing it wants, and forced to do everything it hates.
    Even worse would be an SNP-Labour coalition at the national level with no majority in England.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

When was the last time an opposition with a 1 point lead, seven months out, won an election?

• Options
    Bobajob We shall see
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I can't see anything they can do unless they make different political choices. They have currently made a choice to not take a strong stance on anything out of fear of upsetting people. The thing is that because they've chickened out of opposing the Tories on the core economic argument, and have also abandoned the "responsible capitalism" thing out of idiotic fears of being seen as "anti-business", they have literally nothing interesting/distinctive to say. It won't matter how hard they work or how many interviews they give if the content of what they're saying is a big load of vacuous waffle as it has been lately.
    Agree entirely. They were very lucky that the Tories also chose the road of vacuous waffle with their bizarre deficit amnesia and the risible "paying down the debt" lie followed by tax cuts on the never never. Not that makes Labour's silence any more palatable.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Now if you can factor that into your constituency betting, you may be on to something.
    To make it simple, in safe Labour seats turnout will be down, so it increases the probability that Labour have a majority or most seats without having most votes.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

We shall see....

4/6 now.. that might just be weight of money though... another punter I know thought the line should be 64%, and he was backing overs too, so must just be movement on trade from the Ladbrokes people

If I had a clue, I would say. I reversed out my original position for a small loss because I had absolutely no feel for how it would go.

• Options

saddened said:

HYUFD said:

Hmm.
    I doubt I'll win any political analysis awards for saying Labour would rather be 10 points ahead.
    Nor will I win many for saying many Tories had hoped and expected to have established a decisive lead by now, and haven't. Shit at both ends at the moment ain't it?
    If you honestly believed that the Tories expected the polls to be this close at this stage you are delusional. The Tories are delighted. With Ed about to be exposed in the run-up to the election they are likely to be even more delighted.
  • Options

isam said:

Be interesting to see how good a 2nd UKIP can get. Mr Goodman says their local election results promise better than the reported polls.
    I said from the beginning Heywood will be a LAB 50, UKIP 30 seat type, one that we will see in many safe labour seats in the next election.
  • Options
    Brilliant piece, PtP!

But, Marf, where's Ratty? Is even he staying at home?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bobajob We shall see

Well indeed. And we have seen that your original gambit that Tory leads would be permanent in the "read my lips no new taxes" vein proved wrong. So we shall indeed see!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

< Shit at both ends at the moment ain't it?

We're drifting towards a no change result - % wise.

Only difference is that the SNP/UKIP will eat up some Lib Dem "others" representation.
  • Options
    Great thanks - will try it out.

@Scott_P‌ - Is there an album you'd recommend for Rodrigo and Gabriela? I've looked them up and they've quite a few.

Plato said:

I've only got Ultimate Santana - which I love most of. What other albums would you recommend?

Santana Moonflower is their best (double album). Transcendence has special significance for me and Mrs R. Europa has a sublime guitar solo.

• Options
    Speedy said:

I'm comparing the tables of 3 yougov polls and I haven't been able to find which party they've gone too. I suspect its people who didn't vote last time, since the 2010 voters don't account for the whole electorate.

Lost to DK/won't vote I think - apathy
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour's advantage on most seats with Betfair is getting smaller:

Lab 1.8
    Con 2.28
    LD 1000
    Oth 95

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.115707446#id=1.101416473
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SeanT/HYFUD

IS own PR mob are reportedly writing the victory press release at the moment. To give them some credit, like lots of PR types they hype up stuff but if they report progress they mean it and the message out of Raqqa Towers is progress.

There are no less than 3 fronts in the attack on the town so there is some back and forth action hence the reports will vary but over the last few days IS are deeper in than they were at the weekend. Witness an airstrike today in the centre of the town on an IS position. They simply weren't in that location 3 days ago.

Based on where those strikes are, IS are currently having the better of it, at this point potentially decisively.

HYUFD, one other note on the airstrikes. IS has been lobbing artillery into the town for days on end including yesterday, proper kit not just mortars. If airstrikes can't see the base plates in daylight, they are not trying nearly hard enough. I'm still not convinced the 'West' is working this one well enough at all.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Bobajob We shall see

Well indeed. And we have seen that your original gambit that Tory leads would be permanent in the "read my lips no new taxes" vein proved wrong. So we shall indeed see!
    Labour yet to hit their 35% with YG in October.

One to watch.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Lost to DK/won't vote I think - apathy
    Nope, that has stayed the same as well.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

1974-9 is the obvious analogy with the addition of a leader with Francois Hollande personal ratings.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yokel So you are relying on IS PR, that is about as objective as relying on a Goebbels' press release!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

A classic Sean post in that there is a thriller-like twist halfway through. You stack up the circumstantial evidence for one outcome before revealing another.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Bobajob

"And yet still they lead the Tories. Dire conference, no opportunity to bounce back as yet due to purdah and still they lead."

You make a fair point but after the last few weeks I've got serious concerns that he's able to raise his game. I think most of us thought he was just keeping his powder dry. Now I'm not at all sure he's got anything there.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It all seemed so different this morning. Suddenly the solution was obvious. Clegg would resign and the Libs would have a new start just a few months before the election. They'd pick up in the polls.....distance themselves from the Tories and they'd blame their last four years on Clegg........

....he could even stay on as DPM so he'd have a nice car to take his kids to school.......Win win all round. But what did the bastard go and do....

I thought he'd go which would have been a hammer blow for Labour. But he is staying - now what was it TSE once said about Ed being a lucky general?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Y0kel said:

Not yesterday, Scrap, but I reer it fondly from my childhood - and in exactly the way you describe.

To make it simple, in safe Labour seats turnout will be down, so it increases the probability that Labour have a majority or most seats without having most votes.
    That's certainly logical, Speedy, although at the moment I wouldn't stake much on any outcome.

• Options
    Plato said:

@Scott_P‌ - Is there an album you'd recommend for Rodrigo and Gabriela? I've looked them up and they've quite a few.

The only one I have is the one I linked to, which seems to have most of the Glastonbury set on it.

And Stairway...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

Hmm.
    You make a reasonable point but at the same time parties get very few opportunities to totally dominate news bulletins.

For 90%+ of the time no politician is setting the agenda.

And nor is the public taking any notice of what any of them say.

So "bouncing back" is not something which is easily done.
    True enough. But they haven't yet even had the chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yokel So you are relying on IS PR, that is about as objective as relying on a Goebbels' press release!!

Read the post, I'm relying on where the fighting is.
  • Options
    Indeed!
    Roger said:

• Options
    Yokel We were told on Sunday it was about to fall, if anything it seems to have gone the other way with many ISIS fighters who do manage to make it into the town getting picked off by Kurdish snipers, airstrikes are also getting heavier than they were.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yokel We were told on Sunday it was about to fall, if anything it seems to have gone the other way with many ISIS fighters who do manage to make it into the town getting picked off by Kurdish snipers, airstrikes are also getting heavier than they were.

I wasn't.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alright Rog.. Have you had to have a lie down after finding out your idea for War veterans treatment was already UKIP policy?
  • Options
    I've gone for the under 50% turnout, for the maximum Shadsy will allow me (which isn't much, at least at this time of night).

Consider this:

Newark:
    Turnout in GE 71.4%
    Turnout in by-election: 52.8%

Clacton:
    Turnout in GE: 64.2%

Newark was seen as a competitive race, with both leading parties, and particularly the Conservatives, throwing the kitchen sink at it to get the vote out. In Clacton, is anyone bothering?

11/10 on less than 50% is a snip. IMO.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

SeanT/HYFUD

IS own PR mob are reportedly writing the victory press release at the moment. To give them some credit, like lots of PR types they hype up stuff but if they report progress they mean it and the message out of Raqqa Towers is progress.

There are no less than 3 fronts in the attack on the town so there is some back and forth action hence the reports will vary but over the last few days IS are deeper in than they were at the weekend. Witness an airstrike today in the centre of the town on an IS position. They simply weren't in that location 3 days ago.

Based on where those strikes are, IS are currently having the better of it, at this point potentially decisively.

HYUFD, one other note on the airstrikes. IS has been lobbing artillery into the town for days on end including yesterday, proper kit not just mortars. If airstrikes can't see the base plates in daylight, they are not trying nearly hard enough. I'm still not convinced the 'West' is working this one well enough at all.

Turkey has vetoed it.
    http://www.dailysabah.com/columns/ilnur-cevik/2014/10/07/turkey-resists-military-intervention-in-kobani

"Turkey cannot and will not supply or allow anyone else to supply heavy arms to the PYG"

However there is growing risk that the Turkish alliance with ISIS against the Kurds will turn into a Kurdish-Turkish war.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/10/turkey-syria-kurds-isis-kobani-war.html

"In sum, while there are Turkish citizens in IS ranks, the number of men and women going over from Turkey to join the YPG and the YPJ is increasing. Opposing forces from Turkey are confronting each other beyond the border. When you add the murky relations of Turkish government with various actors of the Syrian crisis, it is not hard to see that this war is increasingly becoming Turkey's war."

• Options
    Roger said:

Bobajob

"And yet still they lead the Tories. Dire conference, no opportunity to bounce back as yet due to purdah and still they lead."

You make a fair point but after the last few weeks I've got serious concerns that he's able to raise his game. I think most of us thought he was just keeping his powder dry. Now I'm not at all sure he's got anything there.

It's natural to think that. He made a bad speech, a wasted opportunity, the last two were very good. It happens. The target now is to ride out conference season with any sort of lead and move on.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Think we still need to wait a week or two to know what's happening. We're having the second week running of Government party conferences: it's so far not benefited the LibDems, but I think they can expect a little bounce tomorrow at our expense after Clegg's speech. Then there's the by-elections...
  • Options
    @RichardN

You are most kind, Sir.

I will forward your comments to Marf personally.
  • Options
    Bobajob No doubt Dukakis still got a few leads, but the Tories have clearly got by far the bigger poll bounce and led in half the post conference polls. Bush Snr also did not have UKIP splitting his vote in 1988
This discussion has been closed.