Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot from Peter the Punter: Matthew and Peter Go To T

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot from Peter the Punter: Matthew and Peter Go To The Seaside – with a Marf cartoon

Matthew Shadwick [Shadsy] of Ladbrokes was kind enough to invite me along on a visit to the scene of one of tomorrow’s by-elections. I wondered whether he might need help collecting a flood of money, or maybe he just wanted some company while he stood outside the firm’s shop on Pier Avenue with his board optimistically offering odds of 1/50 UKIP, 14/1 Conservative and 33/1 Labour.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    first.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    At least antifrank put his head over the parapet. Where is the open defence of mass immigration from the Labour party and our very own NPXMP? They can then refute why the hoi polloi are wrong, and there are in fact, contrary to what we are led to believe by assorted fascists, no downsides to mass immigration.

NPXMP can also explain to us and his constituents why he believes the newly arrived immigrant family should have first right to housing over the young local couple. The answer is clear, these should be allocated on needs and he feels the immigrant need is more pressing He should at least be honest and say why he thinks this is the case.

Sadly, like his leader, he will probably forget to talk about immigration.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Well it's a forgone conclusion and it's October not the middle of a nice summer like in Newark.

It doesn't look like a battle, UKIP have steamrolled the Tories since day one, perhaps Farage might do a stunt driving a steamroller over a David Cameron cardboard cut out once the results are in.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The way I'm betting at Kempton, there will be nothing left for tomorrow's byelections.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There are at least 400,000 Chinese Britons, and the Irish were unpopular immigrants until at least the 1960s.

Being unpopular is not the same as a lack of integration. I think you are somewhat over-egging their unpopularity anyway in order to try and make a point.

As for the Chinese are you discounting those from Hong Kong which was British until recently and also students who will return home when completing their courses?

But you make a half-decent point in that 400,000 is more than I would have thought for the Chinese in the UK. But I don't think the fact that they can live in those numbers relatively peacefully and successfully compared to other immigrants backs up your argument very much.

• Options
    What is Clacton like as a place?
  • Options
    Itajai said:

At least antifrank put his head over the parapet. Where is the open defence of mass immigration from the Labour party and our very own NPXMP? They can then refute why the hoi polloi are wrong, and there are in fact, contrary to what we are led to believe by assorted fascists, no downsides to mass immigration.

NPXMP can also explain to us and his constituents why he believes the newly arrived immigrant family should have first right to housing over the young local couple. The answer is clear, these should be allocated on needs and he feels the immigrant need is more pressing He should at least be honest and say why he thinks this is the case.

The young couple are unlikely to vote Labour but the immigrant family will.

Simples.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good evening, everyone.

The other by-election may be more interesting. Whilst Labour should win it, a loss would be dramatic, and a strong UKIP second could put Miliband under more pressure.
  • Options
    All this talk of Clacton has given me a sudden desire for fish and chips. BRB.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2014
    ''Whilst Labour should win it, a loss would be dramatic, and a strong UKIP second could put Miliband under more pressure.''

For me, its poll versus turnout. The polls have had labour winning comfortably. Will the result show the same?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

There are at least 400,000 Chinese Britons, and the Irish were unpopular immigrants until at least the 1960s.

Being unpopular is not the same as a lack of integration. I think you are somewhat over-egging their unpopularity anyway in order to try and make a point.

As for the Chinese are you discounting those from Hong Kong which was British until recently and also students who will return home when completing their courses?

But you make a half-decent point in that 400,000 is more than I would have thought for the Chinese in the UK. But I don't think the fact that they can live in those numbers relatively peacefully and successfully compared to other immigrants backs up your argument very much.

Come on, if 400,000 (and that's an absolute minimum, given extensive illegal immigration) and being the single largest current group of immigrants isn't mass immigration, what is?
  • Options
    FPT
    Plato said:

I can't help but agree - the monster is already too mind-bending to comprehend. More of the same is - well, I can't begin to get my head around it - nevermind more.

The point is that whether the authorities are covering it up or not, the local communities know exactly what is going on.

The effect may not be quite enough for UKIP to topple Labour somewhere like Heywood where the by election comes after the sad death of a much loved and beyond reproach "old" Labour MP (in the nicest sense of the word).

However, if this form of criminality is as widespread as is claimed in some quarters it won't just have happened in solid Labour seats, it will have happened in more marginal ones, and even where it didn't, labour voters in the marginals will have friends and relations where it did apparently happen. The result may be that in various marginals that Labour need to win in 2015, and would be expected to win; they inexplicably won't.

Also over the next few years you will see increasing numbers of UKIP councillors in the areas concerned, eroding Labours base, so in the long term (unless UKIP are stupid) Labour may have a serious challenge in their rotten boroughs.

Another thing that is in the back of my mind is. How well can pollsters communicate with Ds and Es. If the Ds and Es suddenly decide Labour is rotten to the core and change allegance, will the pollsters pick this up?

It will be a splendid irony if UKIP pile up "tory" votes in safe tory seats and pile up Labour votes in marginal seats.
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, could be many loyalists turning out, as a UKIP win would (for some) feel monstrous. On the other hand, Miliband does not necessarily spur enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

There may be good arguments at certain times for periods of controlled mass immigration (e.g. if there was a sudden significant drop or a persistent steady fall in population), but there is no possible justification of a Government that permits uncontrolled immigration.

Furthermore, periods of mass immigration cannot be open ended. There must be a clear expectation of an end to the period (either in terms of timescales or numbers) and some subsequent consolidation.

Clearly on both counts our government have and are still singularly failing.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Hello italjai, greeting from a stranded train in the middle of Germany - the rail system is in chaos, but the wifi is working fine, so that's OK.

I favour membership of the EU (which requires free movement, as I'm exercising right now, or would be if we were bloody moving) and the points system outside the EU. I agree with the current system of social housing being prioritised to whichever legal residents need it most. In other words, I agree with current Conservative, Labour and LibDem policy.

You're the chap who wants to prioritise people whose great-uncles lived down the road and NEVER LEFT, or possibly people who are sufficiently white to pass some sort of genetic test, right? I asked you to clarify how your preferred law would read, but seem to have missed your reply. Could you repeat it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    http://www.sportingindex.com/spread-betting/politics/british/mm4.uk.meeting.4827464/clacton-by-electon-2014-index

Conservatives now 9.5 to buy and Labour 1 to sell.

Got on the Tories at £10/pt with a buy at 8.5
  • Options
    By the way Carswell has done a very professional campaign, he even bought a big ad on the local newspaper.

Ben Walker ‏@MisterBenWalker 2h2 hours ago
    Crikey. On the front page of the Clacton Gazette. That'll help get the vote out.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    On another note surely there should be a decent poll bounce for Clegg over the next few days..
    LDs up to 12% I reckon maybe even 14%
  • Options
    F1: Claire Williams raises the question of enclsoed cockpits:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29546041

There are some downsides. In rain, a driver would need to be able to see clearly. I doubt steaming up would be a concern (they'd address that easily enough). If a car went upside down it'd increase the chance of a piece of the car breaking and potentially injuring the driver.

It is something they should consider, but it's not a clear-cut decision.
  • Options
    On the grumpy and unpleasant debate (I'd say from FPT, but seems to be a topic of discussion for the seagulls also).

I'm a little bit sick of people using "East European Jews" as a kind of pinnacle of successful integration, then using it to bash other immigrants who don't reach the standard. Firstly, it's ridiculous to compare one group whose integration process is, for the most part, long-completed with other groups whose journey is still ongoing. Secondly, it ignores (or more likely, time forgets) the very serious bumps there were along the way.

As tim never tired of pointing out, the first wave of modern terrorist attacks on British soil was led by radical militant Jews. (Associated with an ideology of anarchism or communism, rather than an ideology with a spiritual component - but the particular association between some sections of the Jewish community and radical ideology was no cultural coincidence, it was intimately linked with the effect of the Haskalah, or Jewish Enlightenment, through the Western diaspora.)

At a less extreme level, those elements who maintained religious orthopraxy were considered, to varying degrees among the British public, alien, discomforting, inwards-looking and backwards. They didn't fit neatly into the schema for Britain held by Christian traditionalists, nor by secular progressives.

Areas of East London that had once echoed to the Francophone sound of the Huguenots, spent many years under Yiddish domination. Jewish cultural societies, Yiddish-language arts and lending libraries, a people who would only shop at "their own" (i.e. kosher) retailers - all gave rise to the impression of a semi-sealed country that had formed within a city.

In truth, there was a permeability of people, culture and ideas that made today's level of integration inevitable. But subtle diffusion is seldom obvious, and even less likely to grab headlines. To some extent the whole thing is a numbers game. What in pockets, and isolated neighbourhoods, may be considered perfectly tolerable. benign and even quaint - just another pattern in the grand human patchwork - can seem exclusive, forbidding, even threatening, if it extends to several boroughs. Perhaps those impressions may be a matter of perception without substance, but it strikes me as at least arguable, that a larger, stronger, more self-sustaining and self-contained community will be less permeable to outside influences and integration may proceed at a more lethargic pace.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited October 2014
    So presumably Miliband will once again find criticism of him overshadowed by criticism of the Tories as a result of Cameron's lot losing in Clacton, or has the commentariat already factored in Cameron losing in Clacton, so a narrow Labour win in Heywood, if indeed it turns out to be narrow (it looks pretty comfortable, not least with UKIP coming from a standing start), will keep the pressure on Ed?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Come on, if 400,000 (and that's an absolute minimum, given extensive illegal immigration) and being the single largest current group of immigrants isn't mass immigration, what is?
    Ok fair enough.

But the fact that there are no large ghettos, no mass unemployment or social issues associated with the Chinese in the UK and they generally don't cause many problems in comparison to other immigrant groups pretty much shows that being selective with immigration is a sensible move.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Honest question. What proportion of that 400,000 are on temporary visas, particularly for students? (A related issue is that many Chinese students come to study with the intention of getting a work visa, and ultimately to settle permanently, which muddies the water somewhat.)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2014
    Mr. Taffys, could be many loyalists turning out, as a UKIP win would (for some) feel monstrous. On the other hand, Miliband does not necessarily spur enthusiasm.

that is why its so interesting. The labour voters probably have it in their power to unseat ed if they choose, by not voting for him.

Plus, could tories vote tactically? If I was a tory voter there, I'd be seriously tempted.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

F1: Claire Williams raises the question of enclsoed cockpits:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29546041

There are some downsides. In rain, a driver would need to be able to see clearly. I doubt steaming up would be a concern (they'd address that easily enough). If a car went upside down it'd increase the chance of a piece of the car breaking and potentially injuring the driver.

It is something they should consider, but it's not a clear-cut decision.

It's something that Audi,Toyota and Porsche have done well in the WEC lemans championship..
  • Options
    De-lurking temporarily to ask a question. I came across this site 18 months ago when I was looking for tips on backing UKIP since I thought they were being underestimated by their opponents.

The bet I came across that I liked was William Hills 7/2 for UKIP to win a by-election before the next general election. Thought it was a fun bet as well as good value since it had nearly 2 years to run potentially. I put £20 on. I assume I found the bet on here but I've not seen any mention of it recently with respect to the upcoming by-elections. Did anyone else take that bet?

I admit I was getting a bit worried a few weeks ago that I might be running out of time, then, like the proverbial London buses, three turn up at the same time to save my bacon.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Honest question. What proportion of that 400,000 are on temporary visas, particularly for students? (A related issue is that many Chinese students come to study with the intention of getting a work visa, and ultimately to settle permanently, which muddies the water somewhat.)
    The return rate of Chinese students is among the highest of all groups. It is those from Middle East, Africa and the Subcontinent that convert their student visas to permanent residence.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The DE segment is a really good one. Do we have any data to show if certain social groups are more accurately recorded than others when it comes to turn-out etc?

I know we have some broadbrush stuff - but it'd be interesting to see some data and how it compares to others.

FPT

Plato said:

I can't help but agree - the monster is already too mind-bending to comprehend. More of the same is - well, I can't begin to get my head around it - nevermind more.

The point is that whether the authorities are covering it up or not, the local communities know exactly what is going on.

The effect may not be quite enough for UKIP to topple Labour somewhere like Heywood where the by election comes after the sad death of a much loved and beyond reproach "old" Labour MP (in the nicest sense of the word).

However, if this form of criminality is as widespread as is claimed in some quarters it won't just have happened in solid Labour seats, it will have happened in more marginal ones, and even where it didn't, labour voters in the marginals will have friends and relations where it did apparently happen. The result may be that in various marginals that Labour need to win in 2015, and would be expected to win; they inexplicably won't.

Also over the next few years you will see increasing numbers of UKIP councillors in the areas concerned, eroding Labours base, so in the long term (unless UKIP are stupid) Labour may have a serious challenge in their rotten boroughs.

Another thing that is in the back of my mind is. How well can pollsters communicate with Ds and Es. If the Ds and Es suddenly decide Labour is rotten to the core and change allegance, will the pollsters pick this up?

It will be a splendid irony if UKIP pile up "tory" votes in safe tory seats and pile up Labour votes in marginal seats.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    JackCade said:

De-lurking temporarily to ask a question. I came across this site 18 months ago when I was looking for tips on backing UKIP since I thought they were being underestimated by their opponents.

The bet I came across that I liked was William Hills 7/2 for UKIP to win a by-election before the next general election. Thought it was a fun bet as well as good value since it had nearly 2 years to run potentially. I put £20 on. I assume I found the bet on here but I've not seen any mention of it recently with respect to the upcoming by-elections. Did anyone else take that bet?

I admit I was getting a bit worried a few weeks ago that I might be running out of time, then, like the proverbial London buses, three turn up at the same time to save my bacon.

You'll win £70. Well done - I am on this bet, but I have more liability on the 1-4 "No" side of the bet (I thought we'd run out of time lol... ) so it will be a loser overall for me.

• Options
    It also depends on over what period those 400k arrived or if their numbers are largely second/third/fourth generation too.

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ok fair enough.

But the fact that there are no large ghettos, no mass unemployment or social issues associated with the Chinese in the UK and they generally don't cause many problems in comparison to other immigrant groups pretty much shows that being selective with immigration is a sensible move.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ok fair enough.

Erm, the ghettos of the Chinese community are the most visible and famous of all.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OT Anyone into Mambo/Latin music? I'm after some recommendations bar bog standard Mariachi or Santana/Gypsy Kings/Ricky Martin.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

Hello italjai, greeting from a stranded train in the middle of Germany - the rail system is in chaos, but the wifi is working fine, so that's OK.

I favour membership of the EU (which requires free movement, as I'm exercising right now, or would be if we were bloody moving) and the points system outside the EU. I agree with the current system of social housing being prioritised to whichever legal residents need it most. In other words, I agree with current Conservative, Labour and LibDem policy.

You're the chap who wants to prioritise people whose great-uncles lived down the road and NEVER LEFT, or possibly people who are sufficiently white to pass some sort of genetic test, right? I asked you to clarify how your preferred law would read, but seem to have missed your reply. Could you repeat it?

Thanks for getting back. Enjoy DB!

No major issue with EU immigration. Why do you favour mass third world immigration? There are no UK treaty commitments. I somehow susppct your points system will still allow in the mass of Somalis and Pakistanis intent on self immolation. Anyway, do you think mass third world immigration has made the likelihood of another UK terror attack higher?

I notice you have not said why you think mass third world immigration is good for Britain.

I have no problem with British citizens getting priority for social housing. You do. Do I think nationality law should be changed? Yes. Labour handed out passports like confetti to shore up their vote base.

Will you include your above points in your election address.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, Chinese immigrants tend to work hard and obey the law. Other immigrant groups are less likely to do this.

A few years ago Channel 4 had an excellent documentary looking at different groups in this way. The few Chinese-descended immigrants (second generation) I've met had English first names and were model citizens.

Mr. Timmo, it's possible. Would also lead to substantial aerodynamic change.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ok fair enough.

Erm, the ghettos of the Chinese community are the most visible and famous of all.
    Really? Where are they? You can't be talking about Chinatown as that is tiny in comparison to the ethnic ghettos in Bradford, Birmingham, Leicester and East London.

Or maybe you are and are trying to fudge the issue whilst completely ignoring my main point. Yet again.
  • Options
    Plato said:

OT Anyone into Mambo/Latin music? I'm after some recommendations bar bog standard Mariachi or Santana/Gypsy Kings/Ricky Martin.

I quite like Crystal Fighters. They are from the Basque country, so may not be Latin enough.

(Note: do not confuse with Crystal Swing, who are more Celtic)
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

The return rate of Chinese students is among the highest of all groups. It is those from Middle East, Africa and the Subcontinent that convert their student visas to permanent residence.
    I believe you, but do you have a source?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Incidentally, for those who are PC gamers (I think you need an Origin account too) Dragon Age: Origins is free. Very good game, and well worth a look.

Edited extra bit: offer only lasts a week or less.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Thanks @foxinsoxuk, it'd be interesting to see some figures.

I don't rescind my comment, in the sense that it clearly is true that many Chinese students come with the hope of eventually obtaining British citizenship, but there are also very many Chinese students who don't. My observation is anecdotal, I know, but I do know quite a lot of Chinese folk (a biased sample: they're here because they stayed). Yet I'm also aware, from personal experience, many students want to get back to China ASAP because that's where, economically, the action is at the moment.

I found it interesting that a lot of Chinese people who opted for the permanent residence route, still don't intend for it to be utterly permanent - the passport is the real prize, it provides greater travel (hence business) opportunities and it gives them a safe haven for themselves and their assets if China's changes become too dramatic. But the attraction of home culture, the necessity of caring for parents in old age, and potential investment opportunities, still seems to be strong. Almost all the Chinese people I know intend to spend their later middle age in China, and possibly their retirements. Perhaps life will get in the way of their plans, of course.

• Options
    Plato said:

It also depends on over what period those 400k arrived or if their numbers are largely second/third/fourth generation too.

Yes and also the fact that a lot of them are students who are going to return home when their course is finished which apparently doesn't matter.

It just seems like the usual routine of keep muddying the waters whilst ignoring the main thrust of an argument until someone "slips up" and then accuse them of being a racist/xenophobic.

So on that note I'm off to do some tedious chores rather than not get anywhere with a debate about immigration. We all know the powers that be aren't going to be changing policy any time soon.
  • Options
    You just need to look at Canadian immigration to see what a successful system looks like. It's overwhelmingly high skilled north European and east Asian immigrants. They can actually afford to have high levels of immigration because they don't have huge unintegrated blocks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited October 2014
    Alex Salmond chairs an emergency meeting of Scottish Government Resilience Cttee on Ebola outbreak twitter.com/AlexSalmond/status/519922040774860801
  • Options
    Thanx - will give it a try - any tracks in particular to start me off? Some artists vary so much from one album to another and I've been put off some by listening to the *wrong* one first.

Plato said:

I quite like Crystal Fighters. They are from the Basque country, so may not be Latin enough.

• Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I believe you, but do you have a source?
    I cited a source some years ago when arguing with tim on the subject, it may take me a while to find again.

It is supported by the fact that Chinese, Malaysian, Korean students have not been noticeably reduced by the changes in student visas, while those from other areas have.

Chinese students also vary rarely bring over accompanying family members, or work to supplement their means. They are generally here to study and become fluent before returning home.
  • Options

I cited a source some years ago when arguing with tim on the subject, it may take me a while to find again.

It is supported by the fact that Chinese, Malaysian, Korean students have not been noticeably reduced by the changes in student visas, while those from other areas have.

Chinese students also vary rarely bring over accompanying family members, or work to supplement their means. They are generally here to study and become fluent before returning home.

It all fits with what I anecdotally know to be true, but would be good to get numbers. It's pretty clear that a lot of people from south Asia and Africa use various student and work routes as a deliberate entrance for permanent migration.

The primary purpose rule would be a good way of cutting a lot of this stuff off, but the Tories are too timid to bring it back.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    kle4 said:

So presumably Miliband will once again find criticism of him overshadowed by criticism of the Tories as a result of Cameron's lot losing in Clacton, or has the commentariat already factored in Cameron losing in Clacton, so a narrow Labour win in Heywood, if indeed it turns out to be narrow (it looks pretty comfortable, not least with UKIP coming from a standing start), will keep the pressure on Ed?

Why narrow win at H & M ?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Thanx - will give it a try - any tracks in particular to start me off? Some artists vary so much from one album to another and I've been put off some by listening to the *wrong* one first.

Plato said:

Cave Rave is the better of their two albums. They are a great festival act.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

Why narrow win at H & M ?
    I don't think it will be that narrow, but if it were narrow that looks to be about as bad as it will get for Labour, and I just wonder how much panic that would cause.
  • Options
    JackCade said:

Welcome, Jack.

Yes, I had 40 quid at 3/1 in April this year. I can't remember who tipped it, if anybody. It may even have been my own research, since like yourself I have long been of the opinion that's UKIP's odds have been understated in many markets.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Great - will have a hunt for it.

EDIT Have you tried Jose Feliciano? Just wonderful slow Latin. His version of Light My Fire is just epically sultry.

youtube.com/watch?v=w7rXONoTOHg

Plato said:

Plato said:

• Options
    @MyBurningEars

"... Seems to be a topic of discussion for the seagulls also."

Well spotted, MBE.

I can assure you the allusion was perfectly deliberate, but appears to have been overlooked by the many wrapped up with St Antifrank vs Xenophobes United.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    Thanks for the write-up of Clacton. I enjoyed reading that even if not much is going on.

Tangentially, I am surprised no one's done an article in the press on the Official Monster Raving Loony Party (for whom Mr Hope is standing tomorrow) in light of the Lib Dem's key policy yesterday on mental health. Whilst it's of course laudable of the Lib Dem's to raise understanding of depression and for the media to avoid insulting people aren't well, I do feel a little bit sorry for the Loonies who are left in an awkward position as well as having a name and brand that are somewhat diminished.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Thanks @foxinsoxuk, it'd be interesting to see some figures.

I don't rescind my comment, in the sense that it clearly is true that many Chinese students come with the hope of eventually obtaining British citizenship, but there are also very many Chinese students who don't. My observation is anecdotal, I know, but I do know quite a lot of Chinese folk (a biased sample: they're here because they stayed). Yet I'm also aware, from personal experience, many students want to get back to China ASAP because that's where, economically, the action is at the moment.

I found it interesting that a lot of Chinese people who opted for the permanent residence route, still don't intend for it to be utterly permanent - the passport is the real prize, it provides greater travel (hence business) opportunities and it gives them a safe haven for themselves and their assets if China's changes become too dramatic. But the attraction of home culture, the necessity of caring for parents in old age, and potential investment opportunities, still seems to be strong. Almost all the Chinese people I know intend to spend their later middle age in China, and possibly their retirements. Perhaps life will get in the way of their plans, of course.

This is mainly because China does not allow dual citizenship
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    kle4 said:

A true to form vote in the NW for this Parliament's by-elections will have Labour at about 50 - ten points or more up - while the Kippers will be at about 25.

The NW seems less pervious to UKIPs charms than the NE and Yorkshire/Humber.

Labour's grip in Y and H isn't as firm as the NW.
  • Options
    Paddy Ashdown downs beers and joins LD activists at raucous 'Glee' style conference bash
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785066/Paddy-Ashdown-downs-beer-mocks-crazy-Lib-Dems-raucous-Glee-Club-conference-bash.html
  • Options
    Plato said:

For something completely different - try Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart.

I picked up a double LP for US$3 in Troy, NY, a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Fire, that must be a recent(ish) change, if so. I met a chap 13 years ago who was a dual German-Chinese national.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Socrates said:

You just need to look at Canadian immigration to see what a successful system looks like. It's overwhelmingly high skilled north European and east Asian immigrants. They can actually afford to have high levels of immigration because they don't have huge unintegrated blocks.

I'm not so sure that the situation in Canada is not exactly the same as here.
    http://o.canada.com/news/immigration-temporary-foreign-workers-435030
    ''In 2008, the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada outpaced the number of new permanent residents for the first time, and in 2012 the gap had grown to 491,547 temporary foreign workers compared to 257,515 permanent residents. There are many high-skilled workers in that pool as well, but they have an easier path to permanent residency and will have their applications fast-tracked starting in 2015.''

On of the commentators says
    ''Its so funny because the Temporary Foreign Workers didn't take our jobs, as our lazy, entitled, over paid, society didn't want those jobs as they were beneth us. Also, the TFW's don't work for less pay then us, they get paid the same as everyone else, the difference is they actually want to work. ''

As for your comment that they have no unintegrated blocks...
    ''The vast majority of immigrants move to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, in that order.
    In each of these major cities immigrants have increasingly been creating ethnic enclaves, which Statistics Canada defines as neighbourhoods in which more than 30 per cent of the population is a visible minority.
    Tens of thousands of Metro Vancouver residents are among those who each year quietly make their housing choices based in part on whether they will feel comfortable with the cultural and ethnic makeup of a particular neighbourhood.
    Canada had only six ethnic enclaves in 1976. Now Metro Vancouver alone has more than 110.''
    http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/01/08/five-trends-in-canadian-immigration-and-diversity/
    Do you care to either change your mind or explain how the Vancouver Sun is wrong when it says
    ''Many neighbour-hoods in Richmond are more than 70 per cent Chinese, while others in north Surrey are 70 per cent South Asian. Meanwhile, many neighbour-hoods in Tsawwassen, south Surrey and the North Shore remain predominantly white.''.
  • Options
    Ace - getting it now. Fingers crossed.

blockquote class="Quote" rel="Duderooster">
    Plato said:

For something completely different - try Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart.

I picked up a double LP for US$3 in Troy, NY, a couple of years ago.

• Options
    Plato said:

EDIT Have you tried Jose Feliciano? Just wonderful slow Latin. His version of Light My Fire is just epically sultry.

Plato said:

Plato said:

If you like Soca (a Trinidadian hybrid of Calypso and Latin influences) then this little commentary on ethnic tension may be interesting:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=1Js1VKjoIrOM7AbfoYDoAg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbc7a9aoWEI&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEIszyswKHzGCobSuKOa2Eh5c1UAQ

Soca is for dancing to, rather than easy listening.
  • Options
    @Flightpath

Your post reflects the Toronto I stayed in and enjoyed earlier this.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    What are expectations for YouGov tonight? Continuing Labour lead? I do feel that for all the disrespect he gets, Clegg has helped the Tory image over the last 4 years. With all the stuff going on relating to cuts, lowering the top rate of tax, bankers' chums etc, having Clegg's approval has helped to stop too much Tory retoxification. Now he and the Lib Dems are bashing them, there's a danger the Tories' reputation and poll rating sinks again. No wonder the likes of Finkelstein aren't happy.
  • Options
    Mr. Booth, hard to disentangle any potential yellow approval from UKIP taking what some see as the toxic mantle (and members/voters/supporters) from the Conservatives.

I disagree, though, with your bashing the Tories line. The Lib Dems have done that for years. It makes them look hypocritical and prevents their attempts to claim credit for good things in government, because you can't run it down and then remark on how super it's been. To paraphrase myself from a day or two ago:

"Look at David Cameron. What a git. Or 'sir', as I call him Monday-Friday."
  • Options
    These are a pretty pisspoor set of by elections from the betting perspective. The only interesting bit is turnout (surely less than 50%), and kipper share.
  • Options

@Flightpath

You mean the comments in the newspaper article? I'm sure it was very nice, I was not intending to imply otherwise.
    It sounds much like London, am I right?
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk‌ - LOVE Crystal Fighters and Follow from Star Of Love album [picked a track at random from a mp3 site] Are the rest like this?

@Duderooster‌ - that's interesting, I can't tell if I like it or not - it's such a mix of styles rolled into one. Will give it a few listens and see if it grows on me!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    FB Disagree, the Tories need Clegg to bash them so he wins back a few LDs who have defected to Labour and makes it more difficult for Miliband to win a majority. Kippers who have defected from the Tories think Cameron is a woolly liberal so if Clegg is attacking him that is good news from their standpoint
  • Options

Mr. Fire, that must be a recent(ish) change, if so. I met a chap 13 years ago who was a dual German-Chinese national.

Quite an old law actually:

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/chinese/law.htm

But it's possible to be Chinese with dual nationality in certain circumstances, e.g. born in China to one parent of Chinese nationality and one parent holding a foreign nationality.

What you can't do is be Chinese by birth, then acquire foreign citizenship, without forfeit of your Chinese nationality. There are still plenty of Chinese citizens who want a foreign passport though. The two reasons I've been told most often are that a US or European passport can ease visa-fee travel (for tourism purposes but also good for business), and that it gives an element of security - a bolt-hole - if China becomes unstable or if they or their family have a falling out with a government official.
  • Options
    Oh yup - this is all my cup of tea! Who knew we had fans of every genre on here :^ )

I've gone the whole hog and downloading both Stars of Love and Cave Rave.

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

If you like Soca (a Trinidadian hybrid of Calypso and Latin influences) then this little commentary on ethnic tension may be interesting:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=1Js1VKjoIrOM7AbfoYDoAg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbc7a9aoWEI&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEIszyswKHzGCobSuKOa2Eh5c1UAQ

Soca is for dancing to, rather than easy listening.
  • Options
    Plato said:

@foxinsoxuk‌ - LOVE Crystal Fighters and Follow from Star Of Love album [picked a track at random from a mp3 site] Are the rest like this?

@Duderooster‌ - that's interesting, I can't tell if I like it or not - it's such a mix of styles rolled into one. Will give it a few listens and see if it grows on me!

I told you it was different! I am a big fan of Santana - and Keith Jarrett - but I play this a lot for a refreshing change. There's the link - Jarrett - jazz - Corea - jazz - Corea - Latin influence.
  • Options
    PtP - did you make it to Frinton?

It's got a fuddy duddy reputation BUT the beach is glorious, the grass promenade is vast (bring a kite) and as for the golf course by the sea, I've lost more balls on that than the times "EICIPM" has been posted on PB, ...well almost and I've only played there a few times!

Top top place if you want an old fashioned break.... breaks my heart just a little to see it being the first constituency to vote for a NIMBYkipper MP to Parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FB Disagree, the Tories need Clegg to bash them so he wins back a few LDs who have defected to Labour and makes it more difficult for Miliband to win a majority. Kippers who have defected from the Tories think Cameron is a woolly liberal so if Clegg is attacking him that is good news from their standpoint

Yes there's the Ukip angle. But the Tories have slipped back down with YouGov after their conference boost, I'm wondering why. Maybe it was inevitable. We'll see what YouGov say tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Has a by-election (Clacton) been such a forgone betting conclusion, but also such an epochal (First ever UKIP MP) event in British by-election history ?

• Options
    Plato said:

Try Tito Puente. Play "Oye Como Va" and try keeping still!
    Saw him live once, sadly died in 2000.
  • Options

@Flightpath

You mean the comments in the newspaper article? I'm sure it was very nice, I was not intending to imply otherwise.
    Yes, the comments in the article.

I found it vibrant and interesting. And there's plenty of money there. I would liken it though to the larger mid-Western North American cities than anything in Europe.

I preferred it to Montreal, which is showing serious signs of urban decline.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes there's the Ukip angle. But the Tories have slipped back down with YouGov after their conference boost, I'm wondering why. Maybe it was inevitable. We'll see what YouGov say tonight.
    You can't say that for sure. More data needed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has a by-election (Clacton) been such a forgone betting conclusion, but also such an epochal (First ever UKIP MP) event in British by-election history ?

In the bigger scheme of things, tomorrow's contest matters little.

Rochester will be huge.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    FB Much of their yougov gain was from UKIP, they lost them last night, while Labour were unchanged from Friday, so the point I made remains
  • Options
    Thank you to Pulpstar and Peter the Punter for your replies ( sorry you are losing though Pulpstar!).

With regard to the Chinese immigrant discussion ( a bit belatedly), I wonder how the ones that immigrated from Hong Kong to Milton Keynes in 1997 are doing (MK being the nearest thing to HK that we had then). I remember at the time that the council wanted to create a 'chinatown' for them but they weren't keen – I remember one woman saying that now she was in England she wanted to be English. Based on my own personal experiences, I have only the highest regard for these Chinese immigrants – they are pretty much the perfect type, hard-working, law-abiding intelligent, ambitious, family-oriented etc.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Oh, Canada. As some will recall, I've just been there - and stayed with people who have migrated to Canada, funnily enough. Brampton (suburb of Toronto) is like Southall, but with nicer houses - local nickname for it is 'Browntown'. Looking on wikipedia, population is 38.4% South Asian. Just thought I'd share.
  • Options
    I've only got Ultimate Santana - which I love most of. What other albums would you recommend?

I adore Smooth, Oye Como Va and Into The Night - so anything at all like any of them... I'm a huge Chad Kroeger fan hence loving Into The Night. I had no idea they were so massive as Nickelback - biggest Canadian band with 50m albums sold...only second to the Beatles to gain such success in the USA.

I'm making a point nowadays of reading the Wiki entries for each band - the amount of cross-pollination is quite something.

Plato said:

I told you it was different! I am a big fan of Santana - and Keith Jarrett - but I play this a lot for a refreshing change. There's the link - Jarrett - jazz - Corea - jazz - Corea - Latin influence.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Talking about Clacton BBC World Service this morning characterized UKIP supporters as old, poor and white.

Is that an accurate assessment?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2014

Incidentally, despite the dual nationality law effectively discouraging emigration and naturalisation overseas, I'm not sure that the Chinese government is particularly opposed to (at least some) of its young people doing so.

I had a certain involvement with a scheme bringing Chinese students into the UK. Something I heard via a Chinese official interested me: they were quite accepting of the fact not all of them would come back. Rather than worry about a brain drain, it was believed to be a net positive to China if some of their bright young things were to settle down and do well for themselves in the West. If there were Chinese-born leaders in academia, officialdom and commerce, then it would be easier for a once-isolated country to do business all around the world. The presence of a group of people high up in Western society who had a sense of Chinese culture and history, and understood the Chinese government's perspective on various internal and international issues, might foster more sympathy for the Chinese worldview and help build better relations.

Not sure to what extent the chap was speaking for himself, but it seemed logical enough. It may have been something to be do with this particular project, which was originally conceived as having an "elite" focus - there was a level of political vetting (including confirmation that the parents of the students involved were atheist and that they were members of the Communist Party) which I don't think applies to Chinese students in general.
  • Options

It's got a fuddy duddy reputation BUT the beach is glorious, the grass promenade is vast (bring a kite) and as for the golf course by the sea, I've lost more balls on that than the times "EICIPM" has been posted on PB, ...well almost and I've only played there a few times!

Top top place if you want an old fashioned break.... breaks my heart just a little to see it being the first constituency to vote for a NIMBYkipper MP to Parliament.

Not yesterday, Scrap, but I remember it fondly from my childhood - and in exactly the way you describe.

A UKIP canvasser tells me he did Frinton recently and the respondents were breaking about 10 Kippers for every 8 Con. Since we can safely assume that it is normally a strong Tory area that suggests Carswell is in, but Watling will earn a respectable second.

Sorry but that's all the comfort I can offer you.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    A point about rail nationalization, the trains in Clacton (and in east anglia and scotland) are run by a Dutch state owned company. Proof that a government can run the railroads successfully.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    What's in a name?

Idaho gets a stay of the Supreme Court ruling overturning gay marriage bans, at the request of its governor

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/oct/08/justice-kennedy-blocks-ruling-allowing-gay-marriag/

The governor's name is Butch.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Tim_B said:

Talking about Clacton BBC World Service this morning characterized UKIP supporters as old, poor and white.

UKIP support is higher among those who are old, poor and white [and male], but they have some support in all sections of society. So it isn't false as such, but you could overdo an emphasis on those characteristics.
  • Options
    Where's YouGov? Late again.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've got that one, isn't it a glorious track? But don't know of Tito's other stuff - what would you recommend?

For being impossible to keep still - try Smooth > youtube.com/watch?v=6Whgn_iE5uc

Plato said:

Try Tito Puente. Play "Oye Como Va" and try keeping still!
    Saw him live once, sadly died in 2000.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

UKIP support is higher among those who are old, poor and white [and male], but they have some support in all sections of society. So it isn't false as such, but you could overdo an emphasis on those characteristics.
    Yes, that was my 'visual' impression from wandering around the main town yesterday, Obitus.

Jaywick, to the south, is poorer; Frinton much more comfortable.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691

@Flightpath

Yes, the comments in the article.

I found it vibrant and interesting. And there's plenty of money there. I would liken it though to the larger mid-Western North American cities than anything in Europe.

I preferred it to Montreal, which is showing serious signs of urban decline.
    There's a heck of a lot of urban sprawl spreading out from Toronto, which I found very soulless. One area I did find interesting was "Bloordale Village" - used to be rough as anything, but the hipsters have now arrived. Nice old houses and some interesting businesses.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    HYUFD said:

Cleggs rant was pretty pathetic though. And followed the usual disgusting line about only being in it for their own kind. Clegg diminishes himself with every breath he takes.
  • Options
    I love some American names that we hardly see over here. Thought I'd die laughing if someone over here told me their name was Butch or Duke - maybe Earl would get a pass.
    Tim_B said:

What's in a name?

Idaho gets a stay of the Supreme Court ruling overturning gay marriage bans, at the request of its governor

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/oct/08/justice-kennedy-blocks-ruling-allowing-gay-marriag/

The governor's name is Butch.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Tim_B said:

Clacton has a lot of older voters, but UKIP's support is not confined to older voters.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/clacton/

The Ashcroft poll has Labour winning the 18-24 age band, and UKIP winning the rest, with shares of 60%+

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Clacton-poll-Full-data-tables-September-2014.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clacton_by-election,_2014#Polling
  • Options
    Flightpath Yes, well Cameron won't mind if he is still his poodle next year!
  • Options

Not yesterday, Scrap, but I remember it fondly from my childhood - and in exactly the way you describe.

A UKIP canvasser tells me he did Frinton recently and the respondents were breaking about 10 Kippers for every 8 Con. Since we can safely assume that it is normally a strong Tory area that suggests Carswell is in, but Watling will earn a respectable second.

Sorry but that's all the comfort I can offer you.

Yup if Frinton is UKIP, then the other areas will be much more so - although how many usual non-voters will vote this time for DC but may not bother as the novelty has gone in May 2015 combined with a free 'moan' at Westminster this time knowing there's only months until it all happens again means Watling must have another go then - I've been very impressed by him.
  • Options
    @JackCade

"....They are pretty much the perfect type, hard-working, law-abiding intelligent, ambitious, family-oriented etc."

Hmm...just exactly the sort of people that would get on my tits.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

These guys played Glastonbury this year

Metallica on Spanish guitars anyone?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/rodrigo-y-gabriela/id912333323
This discussion has been closed.