Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s national poll joins YouGov in having the To

Comments

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Caught up with Panorama. Family of 3, father works at Tesco. Get £7,000 a year subsidy....
    The "advisor" is from the left wing Rowntree mob, paid up sponsors of the Lib Dems...

Now why do people think that it is the role of Govt to fund their breeding? if you can only afford 1 kid stop. If you cannot afford to have any then do not have them. I have two, that is expensive enough! (Rant over)

There is an argument that the state needs to support a level of breeding necessary to ensure the population is maintained at a suitable level. But the current system just isn't fit for purpose
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    woody662 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned downthread (apologies for being late to the party), but the reduction in LD-Lab switching is not the only reason for the Tory lead in the latest Ashcroft poll; the 2010 retention figures are:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

Despite Labour polling poorly in 2010, they've still managed to lose a greater proportion of voters than the Tories, despite the presence of UKIP and the fact that swing voters were disproportionately Blue last time.

Even excluding Don't Knows and Won't Votes (which is a dubious thing to do if we're talking about people who did vote last time), it's still even stevens in terms of retention.

In fact, UKIP is not much of a net factor either, with the Tories having lost 14% of their vote to the Purples, as against 11% for Labour. OK, still a net Labour gain (more so as it's a bigger share of a bigger number for the Cons), but it's still pretty tight.

Would want to see the trend in 2 or 3 polls before drawing conclusions bearing in mind the bouncy nature of these polls.

Talking of conference, the Mori meeting at the Tory conference had Bob Worcester and Lord Ashcroft in the same room which was an interesting clash of the titans. Wish he had gone into more depth n the Ukip Lib Dems swapping poll positions prediction. Wonder if he would do anything for the site?
    The GovNet event is about to start at the LibDem conference with Sir Bob Worcester.

Any questions you would like me to ask?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama pushing a certain political line again. You have to listen really carefully to some of the examples to catch what has really happened.

e.g A couple lost tax credits and now in "poverty" on a debt management plan, despite earning £25k (not a lot, but I don't think most would think that is poverty, especially as they aren't in London). How awful, nasty government.

Why....because in the good times they ran up £26k in debts and were already only just making the repayments.

This is the Gordon Brown unintentional tax credit trap. While you have children they make your minumum wage up to somewhere between £30k and £50k gross equivalent depending how many you have.

Then you hit 45, the kids hit 18, the tax credits vanish and you are royally stuffed./

The other effect of tax credits has been to massively depress wages, as employers know a significant number of staff get tax credits so only see 27% of every extra pound they earn, so just offer minimum wage and let the employees max out on tax credits.

And of course Panorama are explaining this...or maybe not (to be fair I have turned it off as it was such bollocks). There is only so much of

"I have had 3 kids in past 3 years plus pets, big screen telly, etc, despite being in debt and earning minimum wage...the bastards at Tescos / government should be funding this"

...nonsense.

As soon as they started banding around the poverty stats without the necessary caveats (which are of course the nonsense relative poverty, who even the people who devised the metrics say are being misused), I because extremely suspicious.
    You forgot Sky, tattoos, booze and smokes.

And this season´s Premiership football shirts.
    I'm racking my brains to think which Jam song that reminds me of.
    Saturdays Kids
    Their mums and dads smoke Capstan non filters,
    Wallpaper lives 'cause they all die of cancer,
    "Ordinary Boys" by Morrissey describes the same people in less bovver boy way!
    These are the real creatures that time has forgot,
    Not given a thought - its the system -
    Hate the system - what's the system?

Saturdays kids live in council houses,
    Wear v-necked shirts and baggy trousers,
    Drive Cortinas fur trimmed dash boards,
    Stains on the seats - in the back of course!

Reminds me of Elm Park and Dagenham in the early 80s
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Caught up with Panorama. Family of 3, father works at Tesco. Get £7,000 a year subsidy....
    The "advisor" is from the left wing Rowntree mob, paid up sponsors of the Lib Dems...

Now why do people think that it is the role of Govt to fund their breeding? if you can only afford 1 kid stop. If you cannot afford to have any then do not have them. I have two, that is expensive enough! (Rant over)

There is an argument that the state needs to support a level of breeding necessary to ensure the population is maintained at a suitable level. But the current system just isn't fit for purpose
    With the current level of immigration, I don't think anyone's worrying about maintaining the population above a suitable level.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama pushing a certain political line again. You have to listen really carefully to some of the examples to catch what has really happened.

e.g A couple lost tax credits and now in "poverty" on a debt management plan, despite earning £25k (not a lot, but I don't think most would think that is poverty, especially as they aren't in London). How awful, nasty government.

Why....because in the good times they ran up £26k in debts and were already only just making the repayments.

This is the Gordon Brown unintentional tax credit trap. While you have children they make your minumum wage up to somewhere between £30k and £50k gross equivalent depending how many you have.

Then you hit 45, the kids hit 18, the tax credits vanish and you are royally stuffed./

The other effect of tax credits has been to massively depress wages, as employers know a significant number of staff get tax credits so only see 27% of every extra pound they earn, so just offer minimum wage and let the employees max out on tax credits.

And of course Panorama are explaining this...or maybe not (to be fair I have turned it off as it was such bollocks). There is only so much of

"I have had 3 kids in past 3 years plus pets, big screen telly, etc, despite being in debt and earning minimum wage...the bastards at Tescos / government should be funding this"

...nonsense.

As soon as they started banding around the poverty stats without the necessary caveats (which are of course the nonsense relative poverty, who even the people who devised the metrics say are being misused), I because extremely suspicious.

Saturdays Kids

Paul Weller, a modern poet?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Mr. Dave, in that case I'd say you're right about the cause, and stand corrected. Can't imagine the Farage debates helped Clegg regain lost ground, but that's another matter.

The debates are what would have got non-political-anoraks involved though.

Wikipedia says Mr Clegg challenged Mr Farage on 20 February.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#Debates
  • Options

woody662 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned downthread (apologies for being late to the party), but the reduction in LD-Lab switching is not the only reason for the Tory lead in the latest Ashcroft poll; the 2010 retention figures are:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

Despite Labour polling poorly in 2010, they've still managed to lose a greater proportion of voters than the Tories, despite the presence of UKIP and the fact that swing voters were disproportionately Blue last time.

Even excluding Don't Knows and Won't Votes (which is a dubious thing to do if we're talking about people who did vote last time), it's still even stevens in terms of retention.

In fact, UKIP is not much of a net factor either, with the Tories having lost 14% of their vote to the Purples, as against 11% for Labour. OK, still a net Labour gain (more so as it's a bigger share of a bigger number for the Cons), but it's still pretty tight.

Would want to see the trend in 2 or 3 polls before drawing conclusions bearing in mind the bouncy nature of these polls.

Talking of conference, the Mori meeting at the Tory conference had Bob Worcester and Lord Ashcroft in the same room which was an interesting clash of the titans. Wish he had gone into more depth n the Ukip Lib Dems swapping poll positions prediction. Wonder if he would do anything for the site?
    The GovNet event is about to start at the LibDem conference with Sir Bob Worcester.

What issues does he expect in a 1, 2, 3,4 order does he expect Voters at GE2015 to have?
    Does he expect the NHS to be ahead of the Economy?
  • Options

But you need workers not shirkers.
  • Options
    Should we read anything into the fact the Sun and Tom Newton Dunn haven't trailed tonight's YouGov?
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

woody662 said:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

What issues does he expect in a 1, 2, 3,4 order does he expect Voters at GE2015 to have?
    Does he expect the NHS to be ahead of the Economy?
    What vote shares is he predicting and who will the Lib Dems recover their votes from
  • Options

Mr. Dave, be hard to entangle, but it could also be due to the debate Clegg had with Farage.

The debates were 26 March, and 2 April but the LDs poll decline seems to have been underway in the first months of 2014.

Their EU Parliament campaign was running back in February.....
    I would like to think that the LDs explaining how europhile they are helped drive down their vote.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2014

Should we read anything into the fact the Sun and Tom Newton Dunn haven't trailed tonight's YouGov?

Back to Labour 3 point lead?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

...nonsense.

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

In my daydreams I used to want to write a film based on songs by The Jam...

"When You're Young" describes that time of life perfectly... and "Sound Affects" is in my top 3 albums.. I can relate almost every song to some part of my life

Haha embarrassing to admit but when I met my girlfriend when I was about 23 I told her I felt like Paul Weller when had he left The Jam and formed The Style Council... how romantic (and self obsessed!)
  • Options

woody662 said:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

What has been driving the decline in the LD poll numbers?

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

...nonsense.

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

"When You're Young" describes that time of life perfectly... and "Sound Affects" is in my top 3 albums.. I can relate almost every song to some part of my life

Haha embarrassing to admit but when I met my girlfriend when I was about 23 I told her I felt like Paul Weller when had he left The Jam and formed The Style Council... how romantic (and self obsessed!)
    Down in the Tube Station at Midnight perfectly captures that feeling of nervousness we have all had going home late at night in London
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    woody662 said:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

I'd agree about wanting to see a few more polls before drawing conclusions, and it has to be said that the numbers in these sub-samples are small. Still, there's been a trend across many pollsters that it's the Lab 2010 part of Labour's current support which is the weakest section, not the switchers to them since then.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

Not keen on Mr Weller myself - bar Wild Wood.
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

...nonsense.

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

• Options

...nonsense.

Saturdays Kids

Had a love affair with Nina
    In the back of my Cortina

Romance Ian Dury style
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

..../blockquote>

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

I saw them at least 6 times from 1978. Once drove 100 miles to see them. Thick as Thieves summed up friends. That's Entertainment was life. Mr Sheen whilst working in an office.
    Fav? Away from the Numbers.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

That's his best solo album by a mile in my opinion...probably the album I've listened to most in my life... I love the three songs in the middle, "All the pictures on the wall", "Has my fire really gone out", & "Country"

My mate always used to sing "Chicken Fried Rice with a plastic spoon" instead of "People fly by in the traffics boom", and his sister thought they were the real words! "Oh he is spot on that's just how we eat it!"
  • Options

I'm going for a bore draw.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Fox News trailing an interview with Piers Morgan, who has apparently penned an article hostile to Obama.

Piers Morgan? who'd a thunk it.
  • Options
    Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

Ah our "English Rose". Why not "Fly"? (All Mod Cons)
  • Options
    Corporeal is at the meeting with Sir Bob Worcester

Tom @PBcorporeal

SBW: holds firm to view cleggasm was real and if election held earlier would've held up.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Fox News trailing an interview with Piers Morgan, who has apparently penned an article hostile to Obama.

Piers Morgan? who'd a thunk it.

I presume this is his new role at the Daily Mail, where they have given him some important sounding title, to basically write a column about life in the US. I presume they are confident that there is no chance he will have to return to the UK on a full time basis.
  • Options

I'm predicting a double digit Labour lead
  • Options
    Key points so far

Mori and NOP have been commissioned to do the 2015 exit poll as 2010.

In 2010 people voted for parties because of 39% issues, 39% party leader, 22% values. But that might have been affected by the Cleggasm.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

woody662 said:

Con 68%
    Lab 64%
    (LD 24%) !!

I'd agree about wanting to see a few more polls before drawing conclusions, and it has to be said that the numbers in these sub-samples are small. Still, there's been a trend across many pollsters that it's the Lab 2010 part of Labour's current support which is the weakest section, not the switchers to them since then.
    That makes sense to me. I thin I'm right in saying that LD>Lab switchers are more favourable towards Ed than those who voted for them last time. For all the talk of a core vote strategy I can well believe those who stayed loyal to Brown wouldn't have been impressed by Ed's conference effort.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

..../blockquote>

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

I saw them at least 6 times from 1978. Once drove 100 miles to see them. Thick as Thieves summed up friends. That's Entertainment was life. Mr Sheen whilst working in an office.
    Fav? Away from the Numbers.
    Bit too young to see The Jam or TSC, would've loved to, but I have seen Weller solo a few times... Hard to pick a favourite song... I really loved "Dream Time" cause I used to get bad anxiety attacks, and that is Weller describing one..

"Oh boy its a tough tough world, but you gotta be tough with it!"

Too many favs to pick one.. and non Jam fans will get the ump

"I could go on for hours and I probably will...!"
  • Options
    YouGov late?
  • Options

I'm predicting a double digit Labour lead
    :) poll has gone missing?
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    5 point labour lead i would presume if yougov is this late.

It was good while it lasted
  • Options
    Another feelgood NFL story. The 4 year old daughter of a Bengals player has advanced cancer, and the club are encouraging people to buy his jersey to raise money for her.

The Bengals played at the Patriots yesterday, and The Patriots cheerleaders wore his Bengals jersey.

He was reduced to tears and most of us watching had something in out eye too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2782061/Patriots-cheerleaders-reduce-Bengals-Devon-Still-tears-touching-tribute-young-daughter-battling-cancer.html

In an incredibly dumb move, the city of Seattle is going to vote whether to ditch Columbus Day in favor of Indigenous People Day
  • Options
    C in the past year have moved up from 30% in March 13 to 33% in average polls. Main shift in July 2013, r2 coeffecient is .37 with economy.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @___Bobajob___
    Slot machines only make loud noises when there is a winner, they keep fairly quiet otherwise.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

YouGov late?

blame my swatch
  • Options
    woody662 said:

5 point labour lead i would presume if yougov is this late.

It was good while it lasted

Not sure we can read that into it. Weird that it is MIA however!
  • Options
    Whilst we wait for no more X but I I from You Gov....

Let's spot some irony or is it hypocrisy?

Douglas Carswell ✔ @DouglasCarswell
    Watch the #BattleForClacton on BBC. Establishment party candidates back 12,000 extra houses for #Clacton. Its a clear choice on Thursday.

.@CCHQPress I am sorry to see my former party resorting the precisely the kind of bogus smears that Labour uses against you.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___
    Slot machines only make loud noises when there is a winner, they keep fairly quiet otherwise.

Yeah but the flashing's still cool.

• Options

Watch the #BattleForClacton on BBC. Establishment party candidates back 12,000 extra houses for #Clacton. Its a clear choice on Thursday.

.@CCHQPress I am sorry to see my former party resorting the precisely the kind of bogus smears that Labour uses against you.

From the Sun

TORY turncoat Douglas Carswell has been slammed for signing off an attack on Ukip just weeks before defecting to them.

He said he was “delighted” with a letter written by Essex councillor and former Bread actor Giles Watling.

Mr Watling is now standing for the Tories against Mr Carswell in Thursday’s Clacton by-election.

Mr Watling’s note said Ukip “have no cogent thought on politics” and that voting for them made a Labour government more likely.

He sent it to Mr Carswell on July 29 for his approval, and was told: “That reads very well and I would be delighted if you were to send it to the Press.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5975291/tory-defector-douglas-carswell-backed-attack-on-ukip.html
  • Options
    Just going through sept mori and other polls. So nothing new
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Tuesday's Times front page - "Grandees turn on Miliband" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/VHKXV7SO1v

• Options
    @___Bobajob___
    It isn't MIA, it gets posted early if it will bolster the number of readers, otherwise it stays embargoed.
    (works both ways, Lab or Con)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Well I haven't got a Sporting Index account, but there is a mahoooooooooosive bet available on those by election markets in my opinion

Buy Conservatives @ 8.5 ?
    I thought that at first but I'd plump for selling Labour at 2

If you think the Conservatives might sneak it I suppose you might buy them, if you think UKIP have it in the bag, sell Labour

Either way I think its free money
    Thanks for this which I am pondering over. I think that CON will come 2nd with LAB 3rd but the polling difference wasn't that great, 5%, that the risk is too great compared with the potential reward.

In any case the Spanish don't let me contact UK bookmaker sites.

To be fair I canvassed in Frinton on Friday and the response was about 60-40 UKIP-Con with zero Labours.. maybe that might be influencing me too much, as Frinton is the poshest part of the constituency.
    I posted a while back that a friend in Frinton is voting UKIP now, but will be going back to the blues for the general
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Tykejohnne Is Prescott now a 'grandee'?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___
    It isn't MIA, it gets posted early if it will bolster the number of readers, otherwise it stays embargoed.

Cool, thanks for the info - so I don't have to shove my swatch up my ass till midnight??

• Options

From the Sun

TORY turncoat Douglas Carswell has been slammed for signing off an attack on Ukip just weeks before defecting to them.

He said he was “delighted” with a letter written by Essex councillor and former Bread actor Giles Watling.

Mr Watling is now standing for the Tories against Mr Carswell in Thursday’s Clacton by-election.

Mr Watling’s note said Ukip “have no cogent thought on politics” and that voting for them made a Labour government more likely.

He sent it to Mr Carswell on July 29 for his approval, and was told: “That reads very well and I would be delighted if you were to send it to the Press.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5975291/tory-defector-douglas-carswell-backed-attack-on-ukip.html
    Rev O nails the turncoat!!!!

Tipping point....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tme's thinks so ;-)
  • Options

From the Sun

Tipping point....
    What do you expect from a traitorous pig dog.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___

It's up on Twitter at 2155 every night as a rule - so now very late. It does appear to be AWOL unless they aren't doing a poll for some reason. @thescreamingeagles may be able to clarify?
  • Options

From the Sun

Tipping point....
    Its almost as if he was a Conservative then he left and joined UKIP!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

- only if he drives a grand e type :-)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I'm equally curious about the drip feed of the ICM
  • Options
    I love Del Amitri's Be My Downfall Tonight - when you go home with the *wrong* person... youtube.com/watch?v=GwASZpIHKLY
    And it all points towards the things we know we shouldn't do
    And as I look at you and I fall under your spell
    Well I know I should be thinking of her lying there herself
    And when faced with temptation you know a man should stand and fight
    But you will be my downfall tonight

Be my downfall
    Be my great regret
    Be the one girl
    That I'll never forget
    Be my undoing
    Be my slow road to ruin tonight

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

snip

snip

...nonsense.
    Saturdays Kids

I think so!

Down in the Tube Station at Midnight perfectly captures that feeling of nervousness we have all had going home late at night in London
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    "so I don't have to shove my swatch up my ass till midnight??"

Your sexual proclivities are entirely your own affair, but there is a possibility it might invalidate the warranty.
  • Options
    Tykejohnno Well he is now 'his Lordship' I suppose
  • Options

BBC Look East @BBCLookEast
    The @BBCLookEast #battleofclacton special is at 2235 on BBC1 East... the candidates are feisty. pic.twitter.com/RColVwBgHm

Rev O's forgotten his dog-collar....
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___

It's up on Twitter at 2155 every night as a rule - so now very late. It does appear to be AWOL unless they aren't doing a poll for some reason. @thescreamingeagles may be able to clarify?
    There should be one, and I've not heard anything to the contrary, Last month, they posted their poll late (around 22.20)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Show me the Yougov......Show me the Yougov!!!!
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___

Cool, thanks for the info - so I don't have to shove my swatch up my ass till midnight??

Not sure smarmy is right TBH - it's been up by 2200 Mon-Thu for ages. Only the Sunday Times poll is usually embargoed
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Thats fair comment and of course the child(ren) in question did not ask to be born and used as cash cows; they deserve some support. I suppose we should also consider how widespread this issue is. The point is that welfare should be a safety net, one that is to our advantage in that it stabilises society and any of us might need it sometime. Welfare is not a measure to make claimants equal to non claimants.
  • Options
    Spoken like a true Customer Service drone Smarmy - honestly, where would the world be without your type?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@___Bobajob___

There should be one, and I've not heard anything to the contrary, Last month, they posted their poll late (around 22.20)
    Thanks TSE
  • Options

Must be back to a labour lead ;-)

• Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Well I haven't got a Sporting Index account, but there is a mahoooooooooosive bet available on those by election markets in my opinion

Buy Conservatives @ 8.5 ?
    I thought that at first but I'd plump for selling Labour at 2

If you think the Conservatives might sneak it I suppose you might buy them, if you think UKIP have it in the bag, sell Labour

Either way I think its free money
    Thanks for this which I am pondering over. I think that CON will come 2nd with LAB 3rd but the polling difference wasn't that great, 5%, that the risk is too great compared with the potential reward.

In any case the Spanish don't let me contact UK bookmaker sites.

To be fair I canvassed in Frinton on Friday and the response was about 60-40 UKIP-Con with zero Labours.. maybe that might be influencing me too much, as Frinton is the poshest part of the constituency.
    I posted a while back that a friend in Frinton is voting UKIP now, but will be going back to the blues for the general
    If Frinton goes purple then Rev O is burnt toast..... shame, I've taken to him as a top geezer on his campaign. Plus I'd have won nearly £5k now if he'd pulled off a miracle
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Deeper in the cess pit "J", but I remain modest about my moral input.
  • Options

Must be back to a labour lead ;-)

It will be an "interesting" poll?
  • Options
    I like Sunflower, Foot of the Mountain and Can You Heal Us. Along with the title track.

Don't imagine this is your cup of tea - but just found a super country rock/pop band called The Wind And The Rain. Their first album is ace - a taster

From The Wreckage - audio only
    isam said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

Saturdays Kids

I think so!

That's his best solo album by a mile in my opinion...probably the album I've listened to most in my life... I love the three songs in the middle, "All the pictures on the wall", "Has my fire really gone out", & "Country"

My mate always used to sing "Chicken Fried Rice with a plastic spoon" instead of "People fly by in the traffics boom", and his sister thought they were the real words! "Oh he is spot on that's just how we eat it!"
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

C in the past year have moved up from 30% in March 13 to 33% in average polls. Main shift in July 2013, r2 coeffecient is .37 with economy.

The PB poll average has March 2013 as the Tories' worst month of the parliament, at 28.9%. By July that year, it had recovered to 31.3%, since when it's been very consistently in a band 1% either side of 31.5%. There's no real recovery in the Tory vote occurring but there is still a decline in the Labour one. Labour's six-month rolling average lead has fallen virtually every month since March 2013, declining from 10.0% to 3.4% in the process.
  • Options
    TimB Indeed
  • Options

Tuesday's Times front page - "Grandees turn on Miliband" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/VHKXV7SO1v

I can't help feeling that the juxtaposition of that headline and the picture just above it is rather unfortunate.
  • Options
    Likewise Smarmy, likewise.

Plato stop trolling - we're all waiting for YouGov - you're totally tacking the piss.
  • Options
    As the last 2 yougov polls for the Sun and Sunday Times have had Tory leads, surely another Tory lead would not be interesting, whereas Labour retaking the lead would be?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Kobane. "A Terrible Slaughter is Coming".

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/a-terrible-slaughter-is-coming/381157/

This is potentially the Srebrenica of our time.

Assuming Kobani falls, it is only about 3km from the Turkish border.

Again, assuming ISIS heads over the border, an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all.

What then happens to Obmama's 'No American boots on the ground' policy.
  • Options

I can't help feeling that the juxtaposition of that headline and the picture just above it is rather unfortunate.
    I have to say, that is very funny
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Style Council had some great hits: It Didn't Matter, Long Hot Summer, How She Threw It All Away, Walls Come Tumbling Down, etc.
  • Options
    @Tim_B
    All bets are off if a NATO country is attacked, which of course could be a good way of showing commitment to the charter by proxy.
    Not that any politician would be that cynical of course.
  • Options

Well noticed mr Nabavi ;-)

• Options
    SeanT said:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/a-terrible-slaughter-is-coming/381157/

Can someone please explain to me why the fuck is the civilized world allowing this to happen?
  • Options
    Good question from Corporeal on how pollsters deal with UKIP.

Loud band started next door.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    The Labour:Green coalition in our house has a policy difference when it comes to Weller. I'm Jam, she's Style Council.

Top Jam lyrics:

And when or if the sun shines
    Lighting our once beautiful features
    We'll smile, but only for seconds.
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world.
  • Options
    [Loud band started next door.]

Bet you would would have shit your pants if it was a Jam song. That's the kind of weird shit that happens to me.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Can someone please explain to me why the fuck is the civilized world allowing this to happen?
    I'll put it down to bush and blair,the west are to frightened of they own shadows after Iraq.

• Options
    Sir Bob still on 25-30 seats for lib dems, same as last years estimate.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Plato said:

I love Del Amitri's Be My Downfall Tonight - when you go home with the *wrong* person... youtube.com/watch?v=GwASZpIHKLY

Be my downfall
    Be my great regret
    Be the one girl
    That I'll never forget
    Be my undoing

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

snip

snip

...nonsense.
    Saturdays Kids
    These are the real creatures that time has

I think so!

Note to all posters: ALL song lyrics look like crap on the page, they only don't look like crap to you because you are hearing the song in your head as you paste them on the page. Result: you embarrass yourself.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

...nonsense.

Child tax credits should never have been refundable. They make sense as an allowance set against earned income, but not as a payment.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As the last 2 yougov polls for the Sun and Sunday Times have had Tory leads, surely another Tory lead would not be interesting, whereas Labour retaking the lead would be?

I disagree. We all want to know whether the Tory lead is a trend or a short term blip.
  • Options

The PB poll average has March 2013 as the Tories' worst month of the parliament, at 28.9%. By July that year, it had recovered to 31.3%, since when it's been very consistently in a band 1% either side of 31.5%. There's no real recovery in the Tory vote occurring but there is still a decline in the Labour one. Labour's six-month rolling average lead has fallen virtually every month since March 2013, declining from 10.0% to 3.4% in the process.

That was consistent with the slide.

Slides will be up on the Mori website later this week.
  • Options
    nigel4england We are already bombing ISIS heavily, yes maybe we should supply the Kurds with more heavy weaponary, but it is the Turkish tanks which are standing at the side doing nothing
  • Options
    @SeanT
    How long have they had to evacuate those who need to get out? If the Kurds pull out, then encircle Kobane with the aid of a heavy aircover, where will those ISIS troops go?
    Kobane is a pig to defend if you control the hills surrounding it, and nothing is coming from Turkey.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

...nonsense.

Saturdays Kids

Had a love affair with Nina
    In the back of my Cortina

Romance Ian Dury style

Wonderful post - a perfect example of why we need less state interference in our lives, and not more. But sadly, it'll only happen when the state collapses in a sovereign debt default after October next year.
  • Options
    Hmm...

BBC Look East‏@BBCLookEast
    Speaking before tonight's #battleforclacton debate @DouglasCarswell said "people want change"

peter everingham‏@petere72·22s22 seconds ago
    @BBCLookEast @DouglasCarswell if they want change why vote for the same person we have had for 9 yrs ?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited October 2014
    HYUFD said:

nigel4england We are already bombing ISIS heavily, yes maybe we should supply the Kurds with more heavy weaponary, but it is the Turkish tanks which are standing at the side doing nothing

Are they not part of the civilised world then? I didn't just mean us and the Americans, this is happening on the doorstep of a NATO country yet they are not challenging them?

Something not right about this.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Plato said:

Be my downfall
    Be my great regret
    Be the one girl
    That I'll never forget
    Be my undoing

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Itajai said:

I see Panorama

snip

snip

...nonsense.
    Saturdays Kids
    These are the real creatures that time has

I think so!

Note to all posters: ALL song lyrics look like crap on the page, they only don't look like crap to you because you are hearing the song in your head as you paste them on the page. Result: you embarrass yourself.

Saddo
  • Options
    Yay a Sun Politics tweet

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

EXCL: Revenge porn could be a criminal offence ‘by end of the year’ http://bit.ly/1nXFZtq
  • Options

The Labour:Green coalition in our house has a policy difference when it comes to Weller. I'm Jam, she's Style Council.
    Top Jam lyrics:
    And when or if the sun shines
    Lighting our once beautiful features
    We'll smile, but only for seconds.
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world.

Meet me on the Wasteland....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2014
    HYUFD said:

That the West expected a Turkish government ever more islamist was going to help the Kurds against ISIL is ever more laughable. Obama and Call me Cammos strategy in tatters.
  • Options
    @SeanT

"Although the masters make the rules
    For the wise men and the fools
    I got nothing, Ma, to live up to

For them that must obey authority
    That they do not respect in any degree
    Who despise their jobs, their destinies
    Speak jealously of them that are free
    Cultivate their flowers to be
    Nothing more than something they invest in"

Bob at his best?

• Options

Good question from Corporeal on how pollsters deal with UKIP.

What was the question?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

That the West expected a Turkish government ever more islamist is going to help the Kurds against ISIL is ever more laughable. Obama and Call me Cammos strategy in tatters.
    Farage favours doing nothing to intervene in the Middle East. I think Respect take the same position.
This discussion has been closed.