Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An update on the Tory commitment to a high wage economy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    dixiedean said:

After the excitement and thrills of the group stages these knockouts have been dull so far.
    All 4 won by the favourite. None of whom ever looked like losing.

I very much doubt that will continue through all eight R16 matches.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    30m
    Watching the match in Leeds⁩ with ⁦@lisanandy @TracyBrabin @Keir_Starmer & ⁦@GordonBrown

Go England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

https://twitter.com/RachelReevesMP/status/1599501123009875971

Gordon Brown supporting England?
    Supporting the last remaining UK team, as all good Unionists should do, I would certainly be supporting Wales if they were through not England now.

Only Nationalists get by on hating England more than even supporting their own team to win
    That's nonsense. And you know it. You are positively getting by on your fantasies.
    I assume then you will be cheering England on against France?
    Of course not. Couldn't give a monkey's either way. Not interested.

The one case I remember of a Scottish crowd really cheering on a non-English side against England was at Murrayfield where the Japanese were playing in the world cup - maybe 10-20 years ago. But that is perhaps the sportiong crowd least likely to fit the 'nationalist' demographic in any neat way - as if you weren't one yourself, in any case.
  • Options

Big Gord not having his favourite ever football moment surpassed by the look of this pic.

But he's also part of what makes that photo blooming impressive.

Every family has a grumpy old relative who really doesn't want to be there, and Gordo is filling that role perfectly.

Even if it's a cynical photo op, it's a damn good one. Could the Conservatives pull off something similar, even if they wanted to?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767

Not sure we are going to win the World Cup 👿

Well, no, but the ITV commentary is total shit
    Solved that by watching a Croatian stream😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108

Big Gord not having his favourite ever football moment surpassed by the look of this pic.

That's exactly how he looked after Northern Rock!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    ydoethur said:

Time to haul off all Englands essential players.

Pull them off surely.

Form a queue lads.
    Like Lionel Blair breathlessly pulling off Two Gentlemen of Verona?
    Is that what he called it? Most people would probably go for Love's Labour's Lost...
    His single-handed completion of Julius Ceasar brought the house down.

Every family has a grumpy old relative who really doesn't want to be there, and Gordo is filling that role perfectly.

Even if it's a cynical photo op, it's a damn good one. Could the Conservatives pull off something similar, even if they wanted to?
    The extra height to be added to Rishi's chair would make it cost-prohibitive.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2022
    dixiedean said:

After the excitement and thrills of the group stages these knockouts have been dull so far.

Yup, somewhat of snoozefest-ish, but there's Brazil tomorrow. Their playing is so cultured that even their easy wins are easier on the eye.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pull them off surely.

Form a queue lads.
    Is that what he called it? Most people would probably go for Love's Labour's Lost...

Bit unfair - not his fault (unless you think he should have had leg lengthening surgery).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794

Starmer is rocking serious moobage
  • Options

For Gareth and the boys…

bad taste I would say
    If you consider that bad taste then you really are an innocent.

You should see some of the memes on my phone.
    I've seen some of the stuff you're sending out about the French and the Welsh
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    dixiedean said:

Dull???

Lord, if England winning a knockout round, at the World Cup, 3-0, is "dull", then please give me more dullness. Dullness forever
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

It's subjective, but I could believe most of that photo might genuinely like each other enough to sit down and watch something together. With the Tories in their current state I don't think they could get through five minutes without backstabbing one another somehow.

Heck, Javid and Sunak seemed to be among the few happy in each others' company, and Sunak left him out in the wilderness no problem.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

There's a sense of that was for show but this is now for dough.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Pull them off surely.

Form a queue lads.

Bit unfair - not his fault (unless you think he should have had leg lengthening surgery).
    His short stature isn't his fault - I'm referring to his tendency to arrange complex group photographs that disuise the fact.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    A belated Sunday Rawnsley:

The winter of discontent of the late 1970s dealt a death blow to the credibility of James Callaghan’s government. In his memoirs, the Labour prime minister lamented that he was overwhelmed by an uncontrollable “contagion” that doomed him to defeat at the subsequent election. History does not repeat itself, but it can rhyme. There are some obvious parallels between the tsunami of industrial action that engulfed the Callaghan government and the waves of strikes surging towards Rishi Sunak.

Precisely because the Tories have crimped union power and significant strikes have been so rare in recent decades, Conservative anti-union tropes have much less potency. Union leaders sound credible when they say the walkouts this winter are not a macho flexing of their muscle but a last resort and “a cry for help” by their desperate members.

Ministers are clutching to the hope that public sympathy for strikers will drain away. “The moment people start suffering, I think opinion will tip against the unions,” says one senior Tory. That’s a big gamble about who voters will blame for a bitter and attritional struggle.

Some cynics on the Tory side seem to be calculating that the disruption to the health service will be to their political advantage because they can blame strikes for what was anyway going to be a nightmarish winter for the NHS. That rests on the surely false assumption that the public haven’t noticed that the health service was in a critical condition before anyone was talking about walkouts.

Some ministers privately admit that intransigence will eventually have to turn into compromise because this crisis won’t be resolved without the government making some concessions.

There is a prevalent view already that the legacy of a dozen years of Conservative rule is a country in which essential services on which people depend no longer work. These strikes will harden that feeling. The sense that Britain was broken on his watch was fatal for Jim Callaghan. Because that’s a mood no government can expect to survive.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

All subject to focused testing to gain the Red Wall - it's the Middlesbrough Moobage
  • Options
    Which Scots want England to lose for other than racist reasons?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Is it really that much of a thing outside TV and internet trolling though?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Dull???

Lord, if England winning a knockout round, at the World Cup, 3-0, is "dull", then please give me more dullness. Dullness forever
    You know what I mean.
    There hasn't been any jeopardy.
    We could have the best last eight ever, though. With the best 8 teams in it.
  • Options

Not sure we are going to win the World Cup 👿

Well, no, but the ITV commentary is total shit
    Their commentary isn't great but I prefer their overall coverage to the Beeb's.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    30m
    Watching the match in Leeds⁩ with ⁦@lisanandy @TracyBrabin @Keir_Starmer & ⁦@GordonBrown

Go England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Supporting the last remaining UK team, as all good Unionists should do, I would certainly be supporting Wales if they were through not England now.

Only Nationalists get by on hating England more than even supporting their own team to win
    That's nonsense. And you know it. You are positively getting by on your fantasies.

The one case I remember of a Scottish crowd really cheering on a non-English side against England was at Murrayfield where the Japanese were playing in the world cup - maybe 10-20 years ago. But that is perhaps the sportiong crowd least likely to fit the 'nationalist' demographic in any neat way - as if you weren't one yourself, in any case.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    30m

Go England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Yet in pubs across Scotland it will be Scottish nationalist football fans supporting whoever plays England, Scottish rugby fans tend to prioritise supporting their own team over opposing England despite you scraping the barrel for one match decades ago, plus they support the British Lions too
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,903
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Dull???

Indeed. Our second goal was the most lovely counter attacking team goal born of audacious enterprise in the midfield by Bellingham.

Bring on the mundanity until Christmas.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Armed group break-in at Raheem Sterling's house while his kids were there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    dixiedean said:

Armed break-in at Raheem Sterling's house while his kids were there.

Jesus.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

It's subjective, but I could believe most of that photo might genuinely like each other enough to sit down and watch something together. With the Tories in their current state I don't think they could get through five minutes without backstabbing one another somehow.

Heck, Javid and Sunak seemed to be among the few happy in each others' company, and Sunak left him out in the wilderness no problem.
    It's still a bit weird to watch the game with work colleagues on a Sunday, though, isn't it?
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

It's still a bit weird to watch the game with work colleagues on a Sunday, though, isn't it?
    Well yes, but politics makes for weird people, and perhaps they work Sundays anyway to prepare for the week ahead.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

That's terrible
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    30m

Go England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    30m

Go England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Yet in pubs across Scotland it will be Scottish nationalist football fans supporting whoever plays England, Scottish rugby fans tend to prioritise supporting their own team over opposing England despite you scraping the barrel for one match decades ago, plus they support the British Lions too
    I remember that because it was so universal - polite support for guests with hardly any fans with them.

As for your other stuff - how much time do you spend in pubs in Scotland? You might not realise that the situation is a lot more complex than you imagine.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    kinabalu said:

That's exactly how he looked after Northern Rock!
    He’s sort of morphing into Alan Partridge though…
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Dull???

You know what I mean.
    There hasn't been any jeopardy.
    We could have the best last eight ever, though. With the best 8 teams in it.
    Yes, there are probably at least six really excellent vibrant attacking teams going in to the last 8

England, France. Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Holland

Any one of them would be a worthy winner, and they are all elegantly fast, when they want
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited December 2022
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

Only one more sleep till Gordon promises the most powerful devolved parliament in the world, again. They'll have been slaving over their new constitutional offer and tweaking it into non-commital meaninglessness all day.
  • Options
    What is the IQ requirement for serving as Conservative Party Chairman?

Presumably maximum allowed, is less than the average shoe size!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Andy_JS said:

Page 26 of today's Sunday Times

"The Chinese digital Stasi
    With 540 million camreras, AI that identifies you by your walk and knows how you're feeling, and a system to rate a citizen's loyalty, President Xi has built a 21st-century state to crush dissent"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chinas-digital-stasi-sees-all-from-cyberspace-999jfxh8h

Yet we can't put a non-physical customs border in Northern Ireland. :neutral:
    Possibly because our government would be incapable of putting beer in a brewery?
  • Options
    Horrible news about Sterling’s family, if verified. Christ
  • Options
    There is nothing in this life so watery as the smile of a Scotsman trying to pretend he is pleased England have won a football match at the World Cup

• Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    Unlikely suspect in my view…
  • Options

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Only one more sleep till Gordon promises the most powerful devolved parliament in the world, again. They'll have been slaving ove their new constitutional offer and tweaking it into non-commital meaninglessness all day.
    Just seems like a weird direction to go in anyway to be honest. People supported the UK when it was less powerful, so why would making as powerful as possible, short of independence, be the key?
  • Options

All of them, because the English and the Scots are the same majority race.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,078

Do you have a link on the news?
  • Options
    Leon said:

There is nothing in this life so watery as the smile of a Scotsman trying to pretend he is pleased England have won a football match at the World Cup

It’s only Lisa Nandy and the blonde lady next to her who really care though. Rest are “polite applause” and Reeves is “wtf did I just was 2 hours for?”
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I have no idea who Raheem Sterling is, but that sounds horrible. I hope the family are safe and the intruders are explaining themselves to the police.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited December 2022
    Although Mbappe is a clear danger and could damage England, I thought Griezmann was superb in their match today; he was omnipresent and ran much of the game. One for England to watch.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    The best thing about tonight was learning that David Seaman fosters cats.
  • Options

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    I dunno, he got cross near the finish.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Only one more sleep till Gordon promises the most powerful devolved parliament in the world, again. They'll have been slaving ove their new constitutional offer and tweaking it into non-commital meaninglessness all day.
    Just seems like a weird direction to go in anyway to be honest. People supported the UK when it was less powerful, so why would making as powerful as possible, short of independence, be the key?
    It was what kept Quebec in Canada in its second independence referendum in 1995, just
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    Eloi eloi lama sabachthani

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526
    Leon said:

Evidence he is a proper England supporter!
  • Options

Leon said:

It’s only Lisa Nandy and the blonde lady next to her who really care though. Rest are “polite applause” and Reeves is “wtf did I just was 2 hours for?”
    No, I disagree. It is really hard to fake a good smile (look at Brown) and Starmer's is authentic. He's a proper footie fan isn't he? A gooner?

A man like that will have watched England all his life, and he will mean it

I'm not a fan of Sir Kir Royale, but this is an unfair accusation

Agree Reeves looks a bit meh. An unlikely fan: bluestocking banker
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    Eloi eloi lama sabachthani

Even before that he got quite ratty with the money changers in the temple.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Was on BBC radio news.
  • Options

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    He is omnipresent...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No, I disagree. It is really hard to fake a good smile (look at Brown) and Starmer's is authentic. He's a proper footie fan isn't he? A gooner?

Yes, Starmer has had an Arsenal season ticket for donkeys' years. Reeves is probably like my other half - not interested in football but watching the game as it's an occasion. Nowt wrong with that, as us northerners say.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Even that walks the line pretty well. Neither unnaturally buffed (Sunak, early Blair) or slobby (Boris).

Apart from that, the whole image is a group of normalish people who enjoy each others' company. Which is hard to imagine for the government.

And who can the Conservatives convincingly field in the Gordo role? Not Truss. Not Boris. TMay? Dave? John Major? Really?

It's a damn clever photo.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

I thought that was John McDonnell when I first saw that image.
  • Options
    When England win the World Cup then it would do Sunak no harm if he invited Starmer to the party at Number 10
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

dixiedean said:

That's terrible
    I used to live next door to a Premier League footballer. He was forever getting broken into. Proper professional outfits, nasty buggers. Got full time security on the house in the end. I got to know the security guy a bit - he had slightly fruity some stories to tell.
    He moved away in the end (not least because he got transferred to another city) and I can't say I blame him. A shame. It was moderately exciting to think that my comfortable but unremarkable suburb could be home to the nowadays-exalted tier of society of top level footballers. But it appears that it can't and they need to live in compounds.
    I - touch wood - have never been the target of burglars. That's what comes, I think, from having a rather battered people carrier and a 14 year old focus on the drive - people assume you have nothing worth stealing. Rightly, in my case. Certainly compared to next door's.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

It's coldly calculating work.

Gordon is front and centre, a reminder that under Labour Scotland is at the heart of the union. He's only clapping politely, acknowledging that an English triumph is not the be all and end off of the UK's priorities.

Starmer is carefully position at the very left of the image, leading the rest of his colleagues towards it and opening his arms, as if to embrace that wing of the party. He is literally blue collared, harkening back to the party's roots.

There is a plant pushed to the opposite side, almost out of shot, behind a light source - a signal that Labour do care about green credentials, but they have closer priorities around energy production, supply and cost.

Nandy is wearing a top saying Great Britain directly over Brown's head, signifying the fundamental incorporation of Scotland within that element, but her triumphant posture and position over him is a nod to those who want a tougher stance against the nationalists.

She and her partner in attire (who is wearing bright red shoes, behind Brown, to show Labour is booting its way back in Scotland) are dressed casually, they're down with the young people, but Reeves is more formally dressed, dignified in her celebration, comforting to the conservative minded biddies of elderly rural England.
    Nandy is a lesbian?!

Well I never
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Anyway, quite pleased for ITV that they have televised not only a win, but apparently a decent performance. Nice for them. It must be depressing constantly broadcasting disappointments.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Gordon is front and centre, a reminder that under Labour Scotland is at the heart of the union. He's only clapping politely, acknowledging that an English triumph is not the be all and end off of the UK's priorities.

Starmer is carefully position at the very left of the image, leading the rest of his colleagues towards it and opening his arms, as if to embrace that wing of the party. He is literally blue collared, harkening back to the party's roots.

There is a plant pushed to the opposite side, almost out of shot, behind a light source - a signal that Labour do care about green credentials, but they have closer priorities around energy production, supply and cost.

Nandy is wearing a top saying Great Britain directly over Brown's head, signifying the fundamental incorporation of Scotland within that element, but her triumphant posture and position over him is a nod to those who want a tougher stance against the nationalists.

She and her partner in attire (who is wearing bright red shoes, behind Brown, to show Labour is booting its way back in Scotland) are dressed casually, they're down with the young people, but Reeves is more formally dressed, dignified in her celebration, comforting to the conservative minded biddies of elderly rural England.
    Excellent, but you forgot to mention Tracy Brabin's leather trousers and orange shoes. Designed to appeal to a different, perhaps kinkier, part of the electorate.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WillG said:

Was on BBC radio news.
    Raheem Sterling: England forward leaving World Cup squad after family home break-in
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63854197
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

A fair analysis. Royale is a lifelong football fan as you say. No idea who Lisa’s blonde mate is. In any case, who cares whether they all like football (my wife’s reaction would be like Rachel’s at best - I reckon that’s fairly normal?)
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is a great political photo for one reason and one reason only. There are no fecking flags shoehorned into the background. For that reason and that reason alone Labour have won my vote at the next GE.
  • Options
    Great comments from Southgate. Somethings are more important than football, clear now why Sterling was missing.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Anyway, quite pleased for ITV that they have televised not only a win, but apparently a decent performance. Nice for them. It must be depressing constantly broadcasting disappointments.

In the end it was an impressive win against a skilful and somewhat menacing team. By the end Senegal were crushed

Oh God. I'm starting to believe

At least we have a whole week to BELIEVE until Mbappe flays our defence

That's a more cheerful week in December, and for that much gratitude, England
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I thought that was John McDonnell when I first saw that image.
    Johnny McD watching the fitbaw with SKS etc would be huge news..
  • Options

When England win the World Cup then it would do Sunak no harm if he invited Starmer to the party at Number 10

Will they be still alive in 2066?
  • Options

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus.
    Not least because he has an alibi. He was seen playing for Brazil at the time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Excellent, but you forgot to mention Tracy Brabin's leather trousers and orange shoes. Designed to appeal to a different, perhaps kinkier, part of the electorate.
    I confess I had no idea who she was so ran out of steam before even getting in to the two other dudes I also didn't know.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, Starmer has had an Arsenal season ticket for donkeys' years. Reeves is probably like my other half - not interested in football but watching the game as it's an occasion. Nowt wrong with that, as us northerners say.
    Most women don’t like football. I wish more did. But most don’t and that’s the unfortunate reality. I like Reeves’ polite applause
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it really that much of a thing outside TV and internet trolling though?
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Sunak has already congratulated Qatar on their excellent tournament, whether England progress further or not

'Hats off to Qatar for hosting an incredible World Cup so far.

The group stages will be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

Come on
    @England
    keep the dream alive'

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1599466271719841792?s=20&t=b0w2Eyn0xyzXjJnO43z7gw
  • Options
    Zahawi is a proper thickie

Dan Neidle is all over him too
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

In the end it was an impressive win against a skilful and somewhat menacing team. By the end Senegal were crushed

I was pretty convinced France were going to beat England until you predicted otherwise. Feel a bit more optimistic now.
  • Options
    Also, why should Gordo support England? Fair play to him if he wanted us to lose
  • Options

Also, why should Gordo support England? Fair play to him if he wanted us to lose

As he is a Unionist not SNP
  • Options

I think Brown is very genuine in his Unionism and therefore his support of England in this instance. He's not leaping about because it's not his style.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I was pretty convinced France were going to beat England until you predicted otherwise. Feel a bit more optimistic now.
    Yeah. We rested Leondamus for tonight, so he'd be at peak fitness to predict the quarter final.
    Hurrah!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Later evening all :)

Solid performance by England tonight - four down, three to go. Rather like the spider crawling out the bowl, each step is steeper than the last. It won't be easy against France - you wouldn't expect a World Cup QF t o be easy but it is winnable.

@HYUFD mentions the Conservatives still leading among the 65+ age group and he's quite right - Savanta ComRes has the Conservatives leading 41-34 among over 65s. The problem is that's a 20% swing from Conservative to Labour - once again, a 20% swing - so it's possible to argue the Conservatives are doing disproportionately worse among their core support groups which may have implications in terms of seat forecasts.

I also agree it would be hugely appropriate were anyone in the Government to try to spin a football triumph for political advantage - not that I'm sure any of them would.

Just as I'm also sure the RMT's rejection of the Rail Advisory Group's wage offer of 8% OVER TWO YEARS won't be turned into an anti-Union diatribe or, worse, suggesting trade unionists are somehow supporters of Putin and Russia. How any politician with a functioning brain cell could even suggest that is beyond me.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

I'm fascinated by Gordon Brown's suit. I guess he's not comfortable in public in anything else, even watching football on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    It’s rough luck to be playing France in the quarters. But put yourself in their shoes. They won’t be thrilled they’re playing the team that’s scored 12 goals, got three consecutive clean sheets and boasts the tournament’s breakout star. England need to go into this game believing they’ve got the edge over France, and with a fair rub they can beat them.

Sad for Sterling. I thought he looked sharp earlier in the tourny but hard to see him coming back now.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    stodge said:

Solid performance by England tonight - four down, three to go. Rather like the spider crawling out the bowl, each step is steeper than the last. It won't be easy against France - you wouldn't expect a World Cup QF t o be easy but it is winnable.

@HYUFD mentions the Conservatives still leading among the 65+ age group and he's quite right - Savanta ComRes has the Conservatives leading 41-34 among over 65s. The problem is that's a 20% swing from Conservative to Labour - once again, a 20% swing - so it's possible to argue the Conservatives are doing disproportionately worse among their core support groups which may have implications in terms of seat forecasts.

I also agree it would be hugely appropriate were anyone in the Government to try to spin a football triumph for political advantage - not that I'm sure any of them would.

Just as I'm also sure the RMT's rejection of the Rail Advisory Group's wage offer of 8% OVER TWO YEARS won't be turned into an anti-Union diatribe or, worse, suggesting trade unionists are somehow supporters of Putin and Russia. How any politician with a functioning brain cell could even suggest that is beyond me.

There is something in what Zahawi says, inflation is rising mainly because of sanctions on Russia and reduced energy and food supplies from there and Ukraine. Unions demanding wage rises at or above inflation will just weaken our economies further, add to an inflationary wage spiral and make it more likely our leaders have to appease Putin and abandon sanctions
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

I'm fascinated by Gordon Brown's suit. I guess he's not comfortable in public in anything else, even watching football on a Sunday afternoon.
    It does rather look like a hotel or conference centre bar. Some kind of Labour meeting, with a break for the match?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Do Scots who are neither Unionist or SNP have permission not to support England, or will you send the granny bashers round?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2022
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

This is a great political photo for one reason and one reason only. There are no fecking flags shoehorned into the background. For that reason and that reason alone Labour have won my vote at the next GE.
    Lol

I assume your post is somewhat tongue-in-cheek… if not, it has to be a contender for the award for the silliest reason to vote for a political party.

Maybe PBers have come across other even sillier justifications, on the doorsteps?

Come on PB. Let’s have yer anecdotes….
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

There is something in what Zahawi says, inflation is rising mainly because of sanctions on Russia and reduced energy and food supplies from there and Ukraine. Unions demanding wage rises at or above inflation will just weaken our economies further, add to an inflationary wage spiral and make it more likely our leaders have to appease Putin and abandon sanctions
    Don’t you think it’s got ANYTHING to do with how severely we’ve debased our currency through QE fuelled deficits and ultra low rates?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Do Scots who are neither Unionist or SNP have permission not to support England, or will you send the granny bashers round?
    Personally as I said earlier I would rather we just had one Team GB and NI as we had at the Olympics in the World Cup, we would also be more likely to win it.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Don’t you think it’s got ANYTHING to do with how severely we’ve debased our currency through QE fuelled deficits and ultra low rates?
    The ending of lockdown and added demand on reduced supply added to it but it is only the Ukraine war that has taken inflation to almost 10%
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Unlikely, because if that were true QE would have caused hyperinflation, instead of low inflation followed by unusually high inflation upon the outbreak of a war between two major exporters.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Yeah. We rested Leondamus for tonight, so he'd be at peak fitness to predict the quarter final.
    Hurrah!

I'm not gonna make any more predictions until next Saturday, to conserve my mystic Qi

The thing is, the CURSE OF THE MIGHTY LEONDAMUS only works - I've realised - if I REALLY believe my prediction, at that moment

Note that today, I heartily, sincerely and for all time condemned Southgate's coaching about 90 seconds before England scored. A lot of you missed it, but there I was, hard at work

You can thank me later
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cookie said:

It was bullshit as you were told yesterday. England won a semifinal on ITV as recently as July 2021.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Of course, but it's gratifying when the odd person does. It's nice.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

That's terrible
    I used to live next door to a Premier League footballer. He was forever getting broken into. Proper professional outfits, nasty buggers. Got full time security on the house in the end. I got to know the security guy a bit - he had slightly fruity some stories to tell.
    He moved away in the end (not least because he got transferred to another city) and I can't say I blame him. A shame. It was moderately exciting to think that my comfortable but unremarkable suburb could be home to the nowadays-exalted tier of society of top level footballers. But it appears that it can't and they need to live in compounds.
    I - touch wood - have never been the target of burglars. That's what comes, I think, from having a rather battered people carrier and a 14 year old focus on the drive - people assume you have nothing worth stealing. Rightly, in my case. Certainly compared to next door's.
    Agreed re: your last sentence.
    When we hear on the local Facebook groups that 'kids' are doing the rounds, I just laugh.
    My wife asked me if I was worried. I just said, "We've got an 09 plate Berlingo on the drive, with a massive dent in the door, our garden hasn't been weeded properly for six months and the front of the house hasn't been painted in a decade..... no, I'm not worried."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So what? He’s a lifelong football fan and Scotland supporter. Why should he support England?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,580
    HYUFD said:

I voted for a North East Regional Assembly.

I still want the Mackems and Smoggies to lose every Saturday.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the England game in our local - they were blasting out Three Lions after the game although the publican said if it was up to him they'd be playing IRA songs. That's the beauty of an Irish pub in London I suppose. A great game setting up what promises to be a cracking quarter final match with France. I think the French have the edge but only just. England could still go all the way, although I almost hope they don't as we've stupidly scheduled a long haul flight during the final. This is turning into a really good World Cup.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Hurrah!

I'm not gonna make any more predictions until next Saturday, to conserve my mystic Qi

The thing is, the CURSE OF THE MIGHTY LEONDAMUS only works - I've realised - if I REALLY believe my prediction, at that moment

Note that today, I heartily, sincerely and for all time condemned Southgate's coaching about 90 seconds before England scored. A lot of you missed it, but there I was, hard at work

You can thank me later
    Problem is, that's a prediction...

• Options
    Has anybody asked GPTChat what it thinks of England vs France?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Personally as I said earlier I would rather we just had one Team GB and NI as we had at the Olympics in the World Cup, we would also be more likely to win it.

Well that’s just silly. We play as separate nations in pretty much all the major team sports and that’s an important part of the home nations’ identity
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Enjoyed the England game in our local - they were blasting out Three Lions after the game although the publican said if it was up to him they'd be playing IRA songs. That's the beauty of an Irish pub in London I suppose. A great game setting up what promises to be a cracking quarter final match with France. I think the French have the edge but only just. England could still go all the way, although I almost hope they don't as we've stupidly scheduled a long haul flight during the final. This is turning into a really good World Cup.

Could be worse we are off to Vienna for a weekend away before Christmas.

We leave during the Semi-final and return during the final. Think I get at most the first 10 minutes of both matches.
This discussion has been closed.