Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The US pollster who helped make Cameron on the Midterms – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
The US pollster who helped make Cameron on the Midterms – politicalbetting.com

Luntz first came to notice in the UK, and on PB, with his focus groups on the 2005 Tory leadership contest that was featured on Newsnight. My view at the time was that it was Luntz who helped ensure that Cameron was able to beat David Davis who was the favourite.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    First?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    "How did Twitter die?" Hemingway asked.

"Two ways," the engineer said. "Gradually, then suddenly."

https://twitter.com/evacide/status/1592265221816877056
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    NZ women beat England in the Rugby League World cup semi-finals. The player of the game was Mele Hufanga - a 15 stone man on all evidence.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

You fail to see the irony in a) this being posted on twitter and b) reposted by you here?
    Twitter isn’t going to die.
    But it might go bust.
    Running 94 election deniers nationwide and only netting 5 new wins, all in deep red states (AL, ID, IN, KS, and WY,) is basically a 5% success rate.

AKA a 95% failure rate.

(data from @statesunited)
    https://time.com/6231852/election-deniers-2022-midterms-results/
  • Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

You fail to see the irony in a) this being posted on twitter and b) reposted by you here?
    But it might go bust.
    Twitter is clearly going to die.

And here is 967 Tweets by Scott to say why.
    The City’s financial dominance has survived:

Catastrophic defeat in N America & loss of the 13 colonies

Napoleon’s gigantic continental blockade

The collapse of the empire

Many of its buildings being literally destroyed in WW2

Now here we are

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63623502
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    slade said:

NZ women beat England in the Rugby League World cup semi-finals. The player of the game was Mele Hufanga - a 15 stone man on all evidence.

Having googled I can see why you say that! Reminds me of the day my wife shouted ‘there’s a man winning the womens 800m’. It was poor Caster Semanya.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Cameron won the 2005 contest because he walked around on the stage, whereas Davies stood behind a lectern. A pretty silly reason to win, really.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Too many people appear to find twitter useful, so I also don't think it will die. But what will happen if it goes bust?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Too many people appear to find twitter useful, so I also don't think it will die. But what will happen if it goes bust?
    It will get new owners, who buy it out of Chapter 11.
    edited November 2022
    Fair play to Luntz for facing up to getting it wrong, and thinking about why.

Of course, people are often really good at realising what they got wrong in their analysis afterwards.

Is he right independents broke 50/50?
  • Scott_xP said:

Now here we are

Not certain what France's luxury goods stocks going up thanks to the situation in China has to do with the price of fish.

But the City isn't the Stock Market and the FTSE has had its problems for a very long time.

Recently when comparing house price changes I posted this:

At the end of 1999 the FTSE 100 was 6930 and the average house price in England was £75k
    Today [26 October] the FTSE 100 is 6996 and according to the ONS the average house price reached £292k in July.

This isn't Brexit, this is the UK's economy being greatly unbalanced which has continued for decades now.
    … My view at the time was that it was Luntz who helped ensure that Cameron was able to beat David Davis who was the favourite….

I think you’re right. But I think perhaps that’s only because we were naive back then about how manipulative a ‘focus group’ is.

Luntz isn’t an idiot, but neither is he quite the guru he is sometimes made out to be.

And his “Words that Work” was a deeply cynical and rather toxic book.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Wouldn't they just get bought by somebody else at a vastly reduced price before that happened? Bozos. The Saudis. Some Chinese guy that everyone on here will pretend they had already heard of.
  • Andy_JS said:

Cameron won the 2005 contest because he walked around on the stage, whereas Davies stood behind a lectern. A pretty silly reason to win, really.

What rot, Dave won for other reasons.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Nigelb said:

… My view at the time was that it was Luntz who helped ensure that Cameron was able to beat David Davis who was the favourite….

I think you’re right. But I think perhaps that’s only because we were naive back then about how manipulative a ‘focus group’ is.

Luntz isn’t an idiot, but neither is he quite the guru he is sometimes made out to be.

He’s got quite a lot wrong in recent times - didn’t he call the 2016 election for Hillary?
    @5:34 is pretty funny when they ask Lumtz how to fix the polling and he tells them they spend way too much time focused on who's going to win and lose and trying to predict that.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Chapter 11, and likely a new CEO.
    Andy_JS said:

If it sounds like a silly reason, then it probably isn't the actual reason.

That'd be like saying Miliband lost because he tripped on the QT stage.
    PB is a major threat to Twitter.

After all, given Scott, Leon and Carlotta conspire to regurgitate its entire output on here, why bother visiting Twitter at all?
  • Andy_JS said:

Not putting his female supporters in "it's DD for me" T-shirts, for a start.
  • Andy_JS said:

People have always had huge doubts about David Davis, that's why he didn't get the coronation in 2003, those doubts became realised with his vanity by election.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

Andy_JS said:

Well of course - his would have been 'DC for me' t-shirts.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Andy_JS said:

AC surely?
    Fulton County, Georgia’s Trump Investigation
    An analysis of the reported facts and applicable law: Second edition
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/second-edition-fulton-county-georgias-trump-investigation/

Andy_JS said:

People have always had huge doubts about David Davis, that's why he didn't get the coronation in 2003, those doubts became realised with his vanity by election.
    He fluffed his big speech. There was no flow, and he was a bit queasy and sweaty-browed, like he'd had a bad curry. By contrast, Cameron shone. I think DD was done from that point.
  • Andy_JS said:

The Cameron man-love is strong with this one!
    EXCL: Dominic Raab was warned about his behaviour towards officials by Foreign Office’s top civil servant, who then informally reported concerns to Cabinet Office chiefs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/14/dominic-raab-was-warned-about-his-behaviour-by-top-foreign-office-official?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,756
    Andy_JS said:

If that had been the only reason, Malcolm Rifkind would have won.
  • Nigelb said:

He’s got quite a lot wrong in recent times - didn’t he call the 2016 election for Hillary?
    Well she did win the Popular Vote.
    Nigelb said:

Fulton County, Georgia’s Trump Investigation
    An analysis of the reported facts and applicable law: Second edition
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/second-edition-fulton-county-georgias-trump-investigation/

Because of the potentially criminal nature of some of Trump’s conduct, on February 10, 2021, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis announced a criminal investigation into the activities of the former president and his allies. She has said charging decisions may come as soon as November or December 2022.

Bloody lawyers, not only election count staff who go slow.

Even if he did not literally mean Raffensperger should 'find' additional votes, a candidate vocally badgering the top election officials for an hour or more in an effort to sway them to take actions he wanted? The list of potential defenses he may use if charge are pretty eye opening too - including his 'outreach' to officials being first amendment protected.

I feel like he uses this one a lot as well, damn intent.

that he lacked the intent to commit wrongdoing because he genuinely believed he had won the election

Nigelb said:

Well she did win the Popular Vote.
    That is true, but he was calling the Electoral College as I remember it (I might be wrong).

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Andy_JS said:

He fluffed his big speech. There was no flow, and he was a bit queasy and sweaty-browed, like he'd had a bad curry. By contrast, Cameron shone. I think DD was done from that point.
    The Tories would still probably have won most seats under Davis in 2010.

Just Clegg may well have formed a government with Labour not the Tories as he did with Cameron

Andy_JS said:

….
    At the minimum, could political damage in rural areas for the Conservatives, at an already difficult time in the polls, tempt them to try to renegotiate this Oz trade deal to get better terms for farmers? Seems unlikely for now, but depends on farmers reaction. There is a pathway

PM has already said that Truss deal was rushed and one-sided, and didnt benefit farmers… could he not ask the new Australian PM to reopen it a bit and tweak the TRQs etc? As it happens they are about to meet at the G20. again seems unlikely, but not unthinkable…

And if Sunak doesn’t do it, then surely is an open goal for the Opposition, seeking a hearing in rural areas, saying they would be willing to walk away from what the PM himself suggested was a “rushed one-sided deal” & offering a renegotiation with Labour colleagues in Canberra?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1592274002134769664
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Wouldn't they just get bought by somebody else at a vastly reduced price before that happened? Bozos. The Saudis. Some Chinese guy that everyone on here will pretend they had already heard of.
    Creditors will decide; basically the banks. They’ll effectively own it at that point.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/elon-musks-twitter-deal-is-different-than-most-lbos-heres-how/2022/11/12/7c671b64-62b9-11ed-a131-e900e4a6336b_story.html
    This is horrifying. The Iranian parliament votes overwhelmingly (227-63) to execute the 15,000 protesters they already arrested.

These were peaceful protestors simply seeking the right to basic justice and autonomy. Unacceptable and barbaric.

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1592173879493120001
  • Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    Chapter 11, and likely a new CEO.
    It will be bought by Mark Zuckerberg and absorbed into his current empire to create an all-embracing social network known as Twitface.
    Nigelb said:

This is horrifying. The Iranian parliament votes overwhelmingly (227-63) to execute the 15,000 protesters they already arrested.

These were peaceful protestors simply seeking the right to basic justice and autonomy. Unacceptable and barbaric.

Are we really going to play them in the WC next monday? Time for a stand and refuse to play.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    I've always thought it was more about Davis than Cameron. It was always a mystery to me why he was such a big favourite at the time. He was a fairly unknown junior minister in the Major government and his campaign for leader in 2001 was only memorable for the joint last vote. I can't remember him making much impact as a shadow minister under IDS/Howard. In such circumstances the unknown is more appealing.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Now here we are

Aaand the City will likely survive Brexit, and prosper as it has done after all these events. It's been around for 400 years, after all

Whether it prospers or not is, however, up to us. That's the point of Brexit
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just Clegg may well have formed a government with Labour not the Tories as he did with Cameron
    I'd have preferred him to Cameron, but the fact is, he didn't come through on the big occasion.
    Leon said:

It is not prospering

That is the fact of Brexit
    Guardian front page, Tuesday 15 November 2022: Tory councils warn Sunak on stark risk of bankruptcy https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1592277329975599106/photo/1
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

If so, we need to fix that. And Brexit gives us the regulatory powers to do that

We probably have to be more adventurous. The EU market is gone for ever. That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end
  • Why is the counting so slow in California?
    Scott_xP said:

Guardian front page, Tuesday 15 November 2022: Tory councils warn Sunak on stark risk of bankruptcy https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1592277329975599106/photo/1

I'm amazed we haven't had more of that already. Local Government by and large achieved a lot of cuts, and adult social care makes up the bulk of what a lot of them spend.
    edited November 2022

As far as I can tell California has counted fuck all votes over the last 24 hours.

Maybe they've all gone surfing instead.

My guess is most counties are not scheduled to release more results until later in the afternoon-evening local time, which is now 12.30pm Pacific.

That's what's happening today in Washington State today, in counties that did NOT hit bottom last week or over the weekend.

For example, based on what I'm seeing on their webcams, King Co Elections is currently busting their hump processing and scanning ballots prior to scheduled 4pm Pacific (12 midnight UK) report.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/about-us/security-and-accountability/watch-us-in-action.aspx
    "Busting their hump processing"

I literally have no idea what that means. It must be a fancy American term for fucking about.

Can you please tell your compatriots to stop taking fannying around to a new art form and count the fucking votes?
    "busting a hump" = working hard

Sorry, but speedy clearing of your election bets is NOT a priority.

Though why California IS so sloooooow is a puzzle. They have valid votes still arriving BUT so do OR and WA.
    Could there not just be a cut-off point that votes have to be in with enough time to count them at the same time that everyone else's votes get counted? The system is farcical. When Nigel Farage stood in Thanet South, some boxes of votes went missing for a period of mere hours, leading to accusations that the vote was rigged to keep him out of the Commons. That was a few hours. Your system by contrast is so open to abuse that even I could probably rig it if I felt so inclined.
    A quite google shows this from California, which is ridiculously generous if true.

How long after Election Day will ballots still count if postmarked by Election Day?

California has extended the time that vote-by-mail ballots can arrive to county elections offices for this election. Vote-by-mail ballots postmarked on or before Election Day can arrive up to 17 days after Election Day and be counted.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voter-registration/vote-mail/usps-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

Much more comfortable if votes had to arrive on election day, sorry latecomers, or if things were at least standardised, but that's a federation of states for you.

I've always thought it was more about Davis than Cameron. It was always a mystery to me why he was such a big favourite at the time. He was a fairly unknown junior minister in the Major government and his campaign for leader in 2001 was only memorable for the joint last vote. I can't remember him making much impact as a shadow minister under IDS/Howard. In such circumstances the unknown is more appealing.

It's a mystery to me how certain people become the hot pick. We barely see a lot of them, even if they are in government, so we have little to go on.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    WTF - Britain's stock market has lost its position as Europe's most-valued, with France taking the top spot
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

If so, we need to fix that. And Brexit gives us the regulatory powers to do that

We probably have to be more adventurous. The EU market is gone for ever. That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end
    We cut off our own leg.

That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end...
    kle4 said:

As far as I can tell California has counted fuck all votes over the last 24 hours.

My guess is most counties are not scheduled to release more results until later in the afternoon-evening local time, which is now 12.30pm Pacific.

That's what's happening today in Washington State today, in counties that did NOT hit bottom last week or over the weekend.

For example, based on what I'm seeing on their webcams, King Co Elections is currently busting their hump processing and scanning ballots prior to scheduled 4pm Pacific (12 midnight UK) report.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/about-us/security-and-accountability/watch-us-in-action.aspx

I literally have no idea what that means. It must be a fancy American term for fucking about.

Can you please tell your compatriots to stop taking fannying around to a new art form and count the fucking votes?

Though why California IS so sloooooow is a puzzle. They have valid votes still arriving BUT so do OR and WA.
    Could there not just be a cut-off point that votes have to be in with enough time to count them at the same time that everyone else's votes get counted? The system is farcical. When Nigel Farage stood in Thanet South, some boxes of votes went missing for a period of mere hours, leading to accusations that the vote was rigged to keep him out of the Commons. That was a few hours. Your system by contrast is so open to abuse that even I could probably rig it if I felt so inclined.
    A quite google shows this from California, which is ridiculously generous if true.

How long after Election Day will ballots still count if postmarked by Election Day?

California has extended the time that vote-by-mail ballots can arrive to county elections offices for this election. Vote-by-mail ballots postmarked on or before Election Day can arrive up to 17 days after Election Day and be counted.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voter-registration/vote-mail/usps-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

Much more comfortable if votes had to arrive on election day, sorry latecomers, or if things were at least standardised, but that's a federation of states for you.
    Is it beyond the wit of an election fraudster to replicate a postmark? I mean if they're in the business of fraud anyway? In the UK a postmark is just an ink stamp, not a hologram or anything like that.
    Nigelb said:

How nice of them to hold a parliamentary vote about it first. No doubt they can be 'merciful' and execute somewhat less than the whole amount.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Brexit is like having a baby. You lose a lot of blood, and your tits droop. Forever
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Only way to get into the paralympics.
  • kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

How nice of them to hold a parliamentary vote about it first. No doubt they can be 'merciful' and execute somewhat less than the whole amount.
    Maximus. Maximus the Merciful!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

kle4 said:

Is it beyond the wit of an election fraudster to replicate a postmark? I mean if they're in the business of fraud anyway? In the UK a postmark is just an ink stamp, not a hologram or anything like that.
    Most post we receive doesn't have a legible postmark. Sometimes there's a smudge, often nothing at all.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I'd have preferred him to Cameron, but the fact is, he didn't come through on the big occasion.
    DC next Con leader was a good betting win for me. He caught my eye early and I thought, "Ooo smooth and effective, fakes sincerity brilliantly, very Blair like". Got a good price. Can't recall my stake though. Could have been tiny but let's say it was large.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Brexit is like having a baby. You lose a lot of blood, and your tits droop. Forever
    It was a courageous experiment; sadly, it hasn't paid-off and clearly never will.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

I remember my surprise that all but one, as I recall, of the Tory councillors on my council were voting Davis and most of them hated Cameron. Essentially ideology trumping competence (passing over how Cameron eventually met his demise) - a foreshadow of Hunt v Johnson all those years later.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    kle4 said:

And not only that - many states allow people who haven’t completed their ballots correctly - for example returned the accompanying papers unsigned - many days afterwards to come in and ‘cure’ them, so they get counted.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DC next Con leader was a good betting win for me. He caught my eye early and I thought, "Ooo smooth and effective, fakes sincerity brilliantly, very Blair like". Got a good price. Can't recall my stake though. Could have been tiny but let's say it was large.
    Interesting. In a sense Cameron was the Tory Blair in style, and general appeal to the middle. We’ve had Johnson’s frivolous lack of detail, and frankly living, then the ridiculous Truss interlude and now we have Sunak, who I think is a decent enough chap, but I’m not sure he’s a leader, more a number 2.
    Starmer is the antithesis of Johnson, but I’m not sure how he relates to Sunak. I can imagine them actually getting along.
    Ultimately it probably matters little as the election is surely lost for the Tories, it’s just how badly lost it is now.

Andy_JS said:

He's not terrible but I do think that vanity is a particular weakness of his.

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

It was a courageous experiment; sadly, it hasn't paid-off and clearly never will.
    It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government. We haven't had that combination since Brexit (or frankly before it). And if we abandon hope of getting that government, we're screwed in our out of the EU.

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Which is like saying, two years after child birth:

"the brat is screaming, we haven't had sex in eight months, I don't fancy your sagging tits anymore, and we haven't been to a party for ever, this is a total failure and will never pay off"

Welcome to: Having a Baby

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

I think it is genuinely too early to tell. Proponents of Brexit will be feeling aggrieved that so much else has happened to muddy the waters. The focus since March 2020 has been first covid, then covid and a war, now recovering from covid and still a war. It’s not been about taking opportunities that Brexit may afford.
    We have chosen a different path to what many wanted, It helps no one to have constant carping by remainers who seize with glee on the slightest negative story they can find. It’s almost as if they want Brexit to fail…

It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government.

They can start the process of rejoining...
    edited November 2022

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Interesting. In a sense Cameron was the Tory Blair in style, and general appeal to the middle. We’ve had Johnson’s frivolous lack of detail, and frankly living, then the ridiculous Truss interlude and now we have Sunak, who I think is a decent enough chap, but I’m not sure he’s a leader, more a number 2.
    Starmer is the antithesis of Johnson, but I’m not sure how he relates to Sunak. I can imagine them actually getting along.
    Ultimately it probably matters little as the election is surely lost for the Tories, it’s just how badly lost it is now.
    Yes. It's nice - and can really pay - to go against a consensus view but in this case I can't. I have Labour majority laid at 6 from ages ago and that's a goner.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government. We haven't had that combination since Brexit (or frankly before it). And if we abandon hope of getting that government, we're screwed in our out of the EU.
    No it was a dumb idea that has made us poorer and more isolated. The government could be run by Socrates and Brexit would still be a shit sandwich.
    How is this an internal affair when it wasn’t on Israeli territory ?

"I have made it clear to the US government that we won’t cooperate with any external investigation and won’t allow any interference in Israel’s internal affairs,” Israeli Defense Minister Gantz said of the reported FBI probe of Shireen Abu Akleh's death.
    https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1592272998161330176

The US should make it clear they won’t tolerate the obstruction of an investigation into the killing of one of their citizens.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

kle4 said:

Why would they bother? Couldn't they just vote on time?
    Scott_xP said:

If offered the same terms we had when we left, right now I think that would work and would win a referendum. But those terms won’t be offered.
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Up to a point Lord Copper.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

You do talk some absolute bollocks.
    Scott_xP said:

They could do, but it wouldn't be necessary. A normal-sized country doesn't need to join the EU. Switzerland isn't, Norway isn't. The solution always lies in our own Government. That's why joining the EEC failed to solve the economic issues of the day, and neither has leaving the EU.
    Scott_xP said:

I think it is genuinely too early to tell. Proponents of Brexit will be feeling aggrieved that so much else has happened to muddy the waters. The focus since March 2020 has been first covid, then covid and a war, now recovering from covid and still a war. It’s not been about taking opportunities that Brexit may afford.

Pay attention

It's a shitshow, according to the people who wanted it.

The Brexiteer DEFRA minister says we signed a really shitty deal with Australia, not because of Covid, not because of Ukraine, but because Liz Truss wanted an Instagram picture at the G7

This was legitimately one of the only things Brexit made possible, and it's an epic disaster.

High fives all round...
    Have you considered you might be a teeny bit obsessed? A bit like the spoof question to the person who claims his life is being ruined by immigration but can’t explain why, how is your life being ruined by Brexit?
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

No it was a dumb idea that has made us poorer and more isolated. The government could be run by Socrates and Brexit would still be a shit sandwich.
    And it could be a roaring success and you would still say it was a shit sandwich because you don't care about anything but being right. You are as bad as the ERG lot.
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Why would they bother? Couldn't they just vote on time?
    If their candidate is in a comfortable position by the close of polls, they don't need to.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

We have chosen a different path to what many wanted, It helps no one to have constant carping by remainers who seize with glee on the slightest negative story they can find. It’s almost as if they want Brexit to fail…
    No we just want people to acknowledge its failure sooner rather than later. It's failing whether we want it to or not.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

And it could be a roaring success and you would still say it was a shit sandwich because you don't care about anything but being right. You are as bad as the ERG lot.
    No I care about my country going down the toilet. Whether I'm right or not is irrelevant.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

No I care about my country going down the toilet. Whether I'm right or not is irrelevant.
    Bollocks.
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

No we just want people to acknowledge its failure sooner rather than later. It's failing whether we want it to or not.
    How do define failure? It was never a project that would make us richer inside 3 years. It might never do that. We are no longer pooling our sovereignty with the EU. That is a success. We are free to do as we will with trade. You may feel that is not worth the price. Fine, that’s your opinion. But how do you define failure and what would constitute success?
    Perhaps like all projects Brexit needed SMART actions so we could all see if it was working.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Bollocks.
    You are Roger Mellie and I claim my five euros.
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

If you take the emotion that you clearly feel out of this, that's not a tenable argument. Membership of the EU is the exception in Britain's history, not the rule, and most of that time we've done extremely well outside it. As a country, we have excellent resources, geography, and other advantages like language, and saying that we, of all countries, have some sort of quasi-mystical disability that would prevent us being a successful independent country, isn't a logical perspective.
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Bollocks.
    You are Roger Mellie and I claim my five euros.
    And you are a liar.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

"the brat is screaming, we haven't had sex in eight months, I don't fancy your sagging tits anymore, and we haven't been to a party for ever, this is a total failure and will never pay off"

Your use of metaphor is definitely like an infant repeatedly filling a nappy with the same crap.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

So it will pay off when something that has never happened before happens in the immediate future? Seems like a plan.
    Large, semi oblate spheroids are certainly involved.

Trump filing in suit against Twitter compares former president to Galileo
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/new-trump-suit-against-twitter-compares-former-president-to-galileo-00066802
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

If you take the emotion that you clearly feel out of this, that's not a tenable argument. Membership of the EU is the exception in Britain's history, not the rule, and most of that time we've done extremely well outside it. As a country, we have excellent resources, geography, and other advantages like language, and saying that we, of all countries, have some sort of quasi-mystical disability that would prevent us being a successful independent country, isn't a logical perspective.
    Our economy was doing very badly before we joined the then EEC. We were called the sick man of Europe. That's why we joined. We've put up trade barriers with our major trading partner and we face a united Europe with us on the outside. That is a terrible situation to find ourselves in.
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

You do talk some absolute bollocks.
    He's trolling. Taking a perverse pleasure in the wholly justified anger of Remainers about the damage Brexit is doing. He thinks he's laughing at us but in fact is laughing at the country he purports to love. It's unedifying.
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

So it will pay off when something that has never happened before happens in the immediate future? Seems like a plan.
    Like I said, if that doesn't happen, rejoining won't 'work' anyway. Membership was never an insurance scheme against national failure. It's not a Mum to run back to - it's a burdensome set of international treaties.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

How do you define "failing"?

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

You've tortured this baby metaphor so much that even Suella Braverman would offer it asylum.

Give it up.
    No, I won't, because the late great @SeanT was completely right. This is absolutely the best analogy for Brexit, and the easiest way to understand it

There almost certainly won't be anything that either side can point to as constituting definitive failure or success of Brexit - ever. You had a baby, A life changing event. That's it. Your life is different forever, thereafter, and there are ways it will fuck you up, but also ways it will make you happy. And in 20 years your life will be so different you won't be able to imagine what things might be like if you'd taken that fundamentally alternative path

What we can say is that the really bad shit - literally, shit, as in babycack in your eye - will probably come in the first few years
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Andy_JS said:

And yet the least silly reason of recent times.
This discussion has been closed.