Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US pollster who helped make Cameron on the Midterms – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Whether it prospers or not is, however, up to us. That's the point of Brexit

It is not prospering

That is the fact of Brexit
    If so, we need to fix that. And Brexit gives us the regulatory powers to do that

We probably have to be more adventurous. The EU market is gone for ever. That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end
    We cut off our own leg.

That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end...
    Brexit is like having a baby. You lose a lot of blood, and your tits droop. Forever
    It was a courageous experiment; sadly, it hasn't paid-off and clearly never will.
    Which is like saying, two years after child birth:

"the brat is screaming, we haven't had sex in eight months, I don't fancy your sagging tits anymore, and we haven't been to a party for ever, this is a total failure and will never pay off"

Welcome to: Having a Baby
    You've tortured this baby metaphor so much that even Suella Braverman would offer it asylum.

Give it up.
    No, I won't, because the late great @SeanT was completely right. This is absolutely the best analogy for Brexit, and the easiest way to understand it

There almost certainly won't be anything that either side can point to as constituting definitive failure or success of Brexit - ever. You had a baby, A life changing event. That's it. Your life is different forever, thereafter, and there are ways it will fuck you up, but also ways it will make you happy. And in 20 years your life will be so different you won't be able to imagine what things might be like if you'd taken that fundamentally alternative path

What we can say is that the really bad shit - literally, shit, as in babycack in your eye - will probably come in the first few years
    Poop, poop.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,149
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

If so, we need to fix that. And Brexit gives us the regulatory powers to do that

We probably have to be more adventurous. The EU market is gone for ever. That's a blow, but it can be a boon, in the end
    You do talk some absolute bollocks.
    He's trolling. Taking a perverse pleasure in the wholly justified anger of Remainers about the damage Brexit is doing. He thinks he's laughing at us but in fact is laughing at the country he purports to love. It's unedifying.
    Do you ever say anything interesting or amusing?

I begin to tire of this
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Brexit is like having a baby. You lose a lot of blood, and your tits droop. Forever
    It was a courageous experiment; sadly, it hasn't paid-off and clearly never will.
    It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government. We haven't had that combination since Brexit (or frankly before it). And if we abandon hope of getting that government, we're screwed in our out of the EU.
    No it was a dumb idea that has made us poorer and more isolated. The government could be run by Socrates and Brexit would still be a shit sandwich.
    If you take the emotion that you clearly feel out of this, that's not a tenable argument. Membership of the EU is the exception in Britain's history, not the rule, and most of that time we've done extremely well outside it. As a country, we have excellent resources, geography, and other advantages like language, and saying that we, of all countries, have some sort of quasi-mystical disability that would prevent us being a successful independent country, isn't a logical perspective.
    Our economy was doing very badly before we joined the then EEC. We were called the sick man of Europe. That's why we joined. We've put up trade barriers with our major trading partner and we face a united Europe with us on the outside. That is a terrible situation to find ourselves in.
    Again, you're a coherent poster offering an incoherent argument, which splices up history like an amnesiac. Our 'sickness' didn't get cured by joining the EEC. We only recovered economically with the Thatcher reforms far later. Our success or failure depends on what we do as a country, and has always done so. We could still be a success within the EU, but there is greater likelihood of that without the limitations inherent in membership.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

WTF - Britain's stock market has lost its position as Europe's most-valued, with France taking the top spot

There is a LOT more to The City than the stock market. Commodities, foreign exchange, derivatives, the money market, insurance, bonds, and more.

Measuring financial centres by their stock markets, would be like measuring Microsoft by the sales of Office, and ignoring things like Windows, Xbox, Azure, and all the other things they do.
  • Options
    C'mon guys. You need to shape up

This is just fucking dull

If I leave this site it will be reduced to @Nigelb, @BartholomewRoberts and @kinabalu, repeating their same tedious tedious Remoaner or Leaver opinions, for the rest of Eternity

Try and be funny, or say something original, anything. Literally fucking anything would do, right now
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

If I leave this site it will be reduced to @Nigelb, @BartholomewRoberts and @kinabalu, repeating their same tedious tedious Remoaner or Leaver opinions, for the rest of Eternity

Try and be funny, or say something original, anything. Literally fucking anything would do, right now

Does anyone really believe nurses are being thrown out of hotels to put migrants in there instead?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    edited November 2022
    SeaShantyIrish2: don't you think speedy counting of votes is important from other points of view (other than betting)?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Thought I'd pop in to see what's being discussed tonight.
    Brexit.
    Going to bed now.
  • Options
    PB has become the Groucho Club that mistakenly let in accountants as members. That is where we are
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    When the black hole in finances appeared from nowhere about three weeks ago it was only £30bn, now it’s widely reported being £60bn - how did it double in three weeks?

I think Sunak and Hunt are bullshitting us with the reasons they want to grab the money. And are beginning to overplay their hand.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

You do talk some absolute bollocks.
    He's trolling. Taking a perverse pleasure in the wholly justified anger of Remainers about the damage Brexit is doing. He thinks he's laughing at us but in fact is laughing at the country he purports to love. It's unedifying.
    Do you ever say anything interesting or amusing?

I begin to tire of this
    I'm pretty happy with that one actually. Surprised at tetchy response. Ah well.
  • Options
    I believe I am going to be the first foundational PB-er to leave because of sheer tedium. This is a shame
  • Options

When the black hole in finances appeared from nowhere about three weeks ago it was only £30bn, now it’s widely reported being £60bn - how did it double in three weeks?

The OBR I think. It's all just pathetic mood music for Sunak and Hunt's punishment budget. If they actually try and pull what I think they're planning, they're going to be obliterated before any of the measures even come in. It won't pass the Commons.
  • Options
    Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    5h
    I'm out of the running for Sheffield Central. I've had nothing but a warm welcome from voters in the city, but it's clear the majority of party activists want a local candidate. 1/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Leon said:

PB has become the Groucho Club that mistakenly let in accountants as members. That is where we are

Is this a reference to Groucho's belief - he wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have him as a member?
  • Options
    Leon said:

There was no such thing as The Enlightenment.

It's a random bundling of random things over a random timeframe into something designed to make a certain type of white person feel superior.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government.

They can start the process of rejoining...
    Too late Scott.

We have made our bed and we must lie in it. We had the head of the top table spot, terms which were skillfully negotiated by Thatcher (who incidentally I detested) and we decided that being top dog wasn't good enough for us, so off we went.

We could only ever fully rejoin with deflated influence and quite frankly that's not good enough. This is why you need to forget that pipedream of rejoin and concentrate the sane minds of the Conservative Party on a trade deal that works for us as a nation. Closer ties with Europe needs to be a Conservative manifestation, Labour can't pull it off politically. Perhaps genuine Leaver PM Sunak is the one to lead us from this wilderness.

The upside of Brexit is it delivered the comedy gold premiership of Alexander Johnson.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We have an Indian heritage PM now. Suck it up!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

I believe I am going to be the first foundational PB-er to leave because of sheer tedium. This is a shame

Your flounces never last. You haven't got it in you.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    https://youtu.be/3_gVgfDm0CY

^ The crowds in Kherson! It looks like VE day in Trafalgar Square! There must be half a dozen OAPs at least chanting for the foreign film crew!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Leon said:

Cheerio!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Leon said:

Well just stop reading your own posts.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Leon said:

A man who is tired of pb.com is tired of life.

So it's a relatively dull period. We've had a ridiculous era of excitement in politics, going all the way back to 9/11. A period domestically where Sunak is bedding in is likely to be a bit lacking compared to what has gone before.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

a good deal of it should be about political betting, politics though? Of which it’s economic fortnight now.

maybe discussing monetary tightness and fiscal drag doesn’t excite you as much as migrant invasions?

In which case, looking at the media and tonight’s papers, not only is the talked up Anglo French agreement signed today getting a bit of indifferent response overall, it’s now taking heavy incoming from the right for all the things it doesn’t do, like return them, patrol beaches etc.

in fact having people in the control room strikes me as a stupid thing for UK government to have done - if things don’t improve UK government can’t blame French side for lack of control their end.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

"the brat is screaming, we haven't had sex in eight months, I don't fancy your sagging tits anymore, and we haven't been to a party for ever, this is a total failure and will never pay off"
    "And the Albanians are taking back control!"
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

It will pay off when we have a competent, purposeful, and patriotic government. We haven't had that combination since Brexit (or frankly before it). And if we abandon hope of getting that government, we're screwed in our out of the EU.
    If we had a competent and purposeful government, we'd never had shot ourselves in the foot with Brexit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I wish you would because you bore the shit out of me. Everything you say, words and tone, is almost freakishly predictable. The political stuff, the personal stuff, all of it. And so verbose. Just no edit or off button.

Would it bother you if I meant that?
  • Options

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    5h
    I'm out of the running for Sheffield Central. I've had nothing but a warm welcome from voters in the city, but it's clear the majority of party activists want a local candidate. 1/

The voters probably want an MP who's not a f*cking plonker too. As for activists, some of them may have seen Mason coming:

https://thegrayzone.com/2022/06/07/paul-masons-covert-intelligence-grayzone/
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

If we had a competent and purposeful government, we'd never had shot ourselves in the foot with Brexit.
    Patriotic is also important, though you missed it out. By patriotic, I don't mean a Government that shoves flagpoles up everywhere, I mean one that tirelessly supports the interests of the country that they were elected or appointed to serve.

But yes, if we had all those things, we would not have needed to leave - we could have made it work. But then we'd never have needed to join either.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I wish you would because you bore the shit out of me. Everything you say, words and tone, is almost freakishly predictable. The political stuff, the personal stuff, all of it. And so verbose. Just no edit or off button.

No. You're a well-meaning idiot, tho innocently unaware of it. So, no
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Speaking of lifes little mysteries

Why do they always build castles at the top of hills

Plays hell with my angina

Very inconsiderate

Bodiam's in a valley, as is Bere. Berkeley is on a river bank. Pevensey, Caernarfon and Beaumaris are on the coast.
    Hastings Castle is at the bottom of a cliff. Well, half of it is.
    If only Cnut had put a sandcastle on the beach instead of himself perhaps the architects of Hastings would have realised their folly.
    I think Cnuts point was he was going to get wet, having mere limited powers.
    Yes I know - and people remember that (even if plenty still get it wrong). If he'd included a sandcastle as part of the demonstration perhaps people would have also thought about coastal erosion, not just the limits of mortal power.
  • Options

The OBR I think. It's all just pathetic mood music for Sunak and Hunt's punishment budget. If they actually try and pull what I think they're planning, they're going to be obliterated before any of the measures even come in. It won't pass the Commons.
    “ they're going to be obliterated before any of the measures even come in. It won't pass the Commons.”

That’s a huge call. 😯
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Large, semi oblate spheroids are certainly involved.

Trump filing in suit against Twitter compares former president to Galileo
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/new-trump-suit-against-twitter-compares-former-president-to-galileo-00066802

“Most people once believed these to be crackpot ideas; many still do. But crackpot ideas sometimes turn out to be true," Trump's lawyers argued to a federal appeals court

Innovative to (attempt to) make admitting your ideas are crackpot into a strength.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Patriotic is also important, though you missed it out. By patriotic, I don't mean a Government that shoves flagpoles up everywhere, I mean one that tirelessly supports the interests of the country that they were elected or appointed to serve.

But yes, if we had all those things, we would not have needed to leave - we could have made it work. But then we'd never have needed to join either.
    I skipped patriotic because I doubt we have ever had an 'unpatriotic' government. I credit the current shambles as being patriotic. Totally f*cking useless but patriotic nevertheless.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Takes two to tango, my friend.

Not original, I know, but still.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

This is the first flounce that will be born of Jesus F Christ This Place is Dull, rather than: Fuck off I'm right, or How Dare You Ban Me, etc

PB has become boring. I don't like to say that, but I fear it has. Too many good commenters have left, and the replacements are tedious and unfunny. The accountants have won
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It would! You're lying now.

But do you think I do mean it?
  • Options

“ they're going to be obliterated before any of the measures even come in. It won't pass the Commons.”

That’s a huge call. 😯
    Not really, because I don't have any money on it, and I don't know what's even in the budget. But if it's a punishment budget, I don't see the rebellious ranks of Tory MP's committing electoral suicide just to get it through.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

Does it make it easier to get hopping mad at where all those billions of quid - whoopsadaisy! - went during the Truss and Kwarteng monster show?

Or at this?

• Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

I skipped patriotic because I doubt we have ever had an 'unpatriotic' government. I credit the current shambles as being patriotic. Totally f*cking useless but patriotic nevertheless.
    That's in the most debased sense of the word then.
  • Options

Leon said:

A man who is tired of pb.com is tired of life.

So it's a relatively dull period. We've had a ridiculous era of excitement in politics, going all the way back to 9/11. A period domestically where Sunak is bedding in is likely to be a bit lacking compared to what has gone before.
    “ A period domestically where Sunak is bedding in is likely to be a bit lacking compared to what has gone before.‘

Union Militancy is about to bring the country to a standstill, wrecking everybody’s Christmas. The international money markets are waiting for the OBR and budget before maybe launching another attack on our country. CIA & KGB are meeting right now to try and prevent Kremlin unleashing a “punishment” weapon on Ukraine. Lucky has just predicted Sunak’s budget won’t even pass the commons. This could be one of the more remarkable winters any of us have lived through. The opposite on dull not in any good way 😕
  • Options
    kle4 said:

As far as I can tell California has counted fuck all votes over the last 24 hours.

Maybe they've all gone surfing instead.

My guess is most counties are not scheduled to release more results until later in the afternoon-evening local time, which is now 12.30pm Pacific.

That's what's happening today in Washington State today, in counties that did NOT hit bottom last week or over the weekend.

For example, based on what I'm seeing on their webcams, King Co Elections is currently busting their hump processing and scanning ballots prior to scheduled 4pm Pacific (12 midnight UK) report.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/about-us/security-and-accountability/watch-us-in-action.aspx
    "Busting their hump processing"

I literally have no idea what that means. It must be a fancy American term for fucking about.

Can you please tell your compatriots to stop taking fannying around to a new art form and count the fucking votes?
    "busting a hump" = working hard

Sorry, but speedy clearing of your election bets is NOT a priority.

Though why California IS so sloooooow is a puzzle. They have valid votes still arriving BUT so do OR and WA.
    Could there not just be a cut-off point that votes have to be in with enough time to count them at the same time that everyone else's votes get counted? The system is farcical. When Nigel Farage stood in Thanet South, some boxes of votes went missing for a period of mere hours, leading to accusations that the vote was rigged to keep him out of the Commons. That was a few hours. Your system by contrast is so open to abuse that even I could probably rig it if I felt so inclined.
    A quite google shows this from California, which is ridiculously generous if true.

How long after Election Day will ballots still count if postmarked by Election Day?

California has extended the time that vote-by-mail ballots can arrive to county elections offices for this election. Vote-by-mail ballots postmarked on or before Election Day can arrive up to 17 days after Election Day and be counted.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voter-registration/vote-mail/usps-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

Much more comfortable if votes had to arrive on election day, sorry latecomers, or if things were at least standardised, but that's a federation of states for you.
    Even longer period in WA State for valid ballots to arrive & be counted, including cures for challenged ballots - up to end of business (at county election offices) on November 28 for this election.

Has been that way in WA ever since I've lived her, now over thirty years. Fine with us, except for election deniers - IF they happen to fall behind in later counts.

IF they are winning, then it's OK for ballots to be valid IF postmarked by EDay and otherwise kosher.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Mate, I REALLLY don't care. That is the sadness

Someone compared you to @tim the other day. Unfortunately, you are not @tim. He was a bitterly funny opponent. Nasty, acidic, witty, and he could genuinely cut me down with a quip. You can't

I liked jousting with him. Too many like him have gone, and I sincerely fear I am about to join them

Perhaps this is a natural ageing process with online forums. An early and intriguing group develops a healthy dynamic of disagreement, but over time the more interesting and original members either fall foul of the (increasingly Woke) mods, or they have such terrible rows they cannot continue (Mr A. Meeks) or they get doxxed because they are so annoying to others (@tim) or they just get bored when all the other funny commenters quit, leaving us with @Nigelb and you

Meh
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

This is the first flounce that will be born of Jesus F Christ This Place is Dull, rather than: Fuck off I'm right, or How Dare You Ban Me, etc

PB has become boring. I don't like to say that, but I fear it has. Too many good commenters have left, and the replacements are tedious and unfunny. The accountants have won
    Well, best wishes to you. One cannot change one's nature.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

The point is often made by rightwing immigration haters that many illegals from countries such as Albania prefer to come to Britain than to hang around in Italy, France, etc. "Why do you think that is?" they ask sneeringly. "Could it be because they're all given free TV sets with enormous screens and guarantees of copious amounts of welfare benefits for the rest of their lives, unlike in Frogland where they get chased from pillar to post by gendarmes and have to dodge petrol bombs thrown by National Rally types who actually care about their motherland?"

Of course it could also be because gangsters who will employ them (as forced labour or otherwise) have been allowed to become established in the British underground economy.
  • Options

That’s a huge call. 😯
    Not really, because I don't have any money on it, and I don't know what's even in the budget. But if it's a punishment budget, I don't see the rebellious ranks of Tory MP's committing electoral suicide just to get it through.
    Suspect It will be hard campaigning for re election and canvassing on adding tax rises to the highest tax for eighty years on all households they knock on
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

SeaShantyIrish2: don't you think speedy counting of votes is important from other points of view (other than betting)?

Speedy is fine, but does NOT have to be at speed of light.

In my humble experience, people who moan about how long it takes to count elections are (from most tolerable to least)

> bettors
    > candidates
    > media
    > consultants
    > people who hate democracy in the first place and will use any excuse to vilify it.

IF the process is free and fair, with reasonable safeguards to keep it that way, then what's the big problem?

Note that in the US, the only officeholders who take office immediately upon being declared (by election authorities NOT media or bookies) are winners of special elections, filling un-expired terms.

Everybody else has to wait weeks or months anyway before they officially take office.
  • Options
    Left-wing firebrand Ricky Tomlinson says "people will die if the triple lock is abolished".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Speaking of lifes little mysteries

Why do they always build castles at the top of hills

Plays hell with my angina

Very inconsiderate

Bodiam's in a valley, as is Bere. Berkeley is on a river bank. Pevensey, Caernarfon and Beaumaris are on the coast.
    Hastings Castle is at the bottom of a cliff. Well, half of it is.
    If only Cnut had put a sandcastle on the beach instead of himself perhaps the architects of Hastings would have realised their folly.
    I think Cnuts point was he was going to get wet, having mere limited powers.
    Yes I know - and people remember that (even if plenty still get it wrong). If he'd included a sandcastle as part of the demonstration perhaps people would have also thought about coastal erosion, not just the limits of mortal power.
    What a wonderful idea for an add campaign.

Have you thought bartering the idea to The Green Party for a sack of Lentils?

I’ve got a good friend now in the Green Party and went to their conference.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A pretty awful advertisment for himself. Luntz came across as defensive and possibly even dishonest. He certainly seemed to be drowning
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Someone compared you to @tim the other day. Unfortunately, you are not @tim. He was a bitterly funny opponent. Nasty, acidic, witty, and he could genuinely cut me down with a quip. You can't

I liked jousting with him. Too many like him have gone, and I sincerely fear I am about to join them

Perhaps this is a natural ageing process with online forums. An early and intriguing group develops a healthy dynamic of disagreement, but over time the more interesting and original members either fall foul of the (increasingly Woke) mods, or they have such terrible rows they cannot continue (Mr A. Meeks) or they get doxxed because they are so annoying to others (@tim) or they just get bored when all the other funny commenters quit, leaving us with @Nigelb and you

Meh
    I have some empathy with that view (though Kin and Nige are good uns) - much of the posting is cliche ridden bilge, repeats of ancient jokes, or the obsessive ramblings of continuity Corbynistas.

But, I’m not sure any of this is a new development.

(Agree that @tim should return, but I fear that bird flew long ago)

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Mate, I REALLLY don't care. That is the sadness.

Someone compared you to @tim the other day. Unfortunately, you are not @tim. He was a bitterly funny opponent. Nasty, acidic, witty, and he could genuinely cut me down with a quip. You can't.

I liked jousting with him. Too many like him have gone, and I sincerely fear I am about to join them.

Perhaps this is a natural ageing process with online forums. An early and intriguing group develops a healthy dynamic of disagreement, but over time the more interesting and original members either fall foul of the (increasingly Woke) mods, or they have such terrible rows they cannot continue (Mr A. Meeks) or they get doxxed because they are so annoying to others (@tim) or they just get bored when all the other funny commenters quit, leaving us with @Nigelb and you.

Meh.
    😔😔😔

I'll try and do better.

(put the full stops in for you)
  • Options
    Are we missing something?

Have we overlooked Councils struggling with the financial crisis, and rates about to sky rocket 😧

I believe we have councillors on PB, how are your councils doing financially?

Where do we predict rates are going to go?
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Meh
    I have some empathy with that view (though Kin and Nige are good uns) - much of the posting is cliche ridden bilge, repeats of ancient jokes, or the obsessive ramblings of continuity Corbynistas.

Not sure what you guys are looking for to relieve the tedium.

Derek And Clive, 'This Bloke Came Up to Me'?

You fecking c**** etc etc
  • Options
    TMZ just did an on-line, ice-cream poll of its (entertainment TV) audience:

Who offers best chance for Republicans (post-midterms)?

Trump 14%
    DeSantis 86%
  • Options

Have we overlooked Councils struggling with the financial crisis, and rates about to sky rocket 😧

Rumours that the 3% limit is to be dropped by Hunt.

Expect councils to push for 5%+ in that case. Maybe higher. Social care etc.
  • Options
    Luntz is a Jeremy Huntz
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Meh

Not sure what you guys are looking for to relieve

the tedium.

Well earlier today JosiasJessop told me to “fuck off” - which was an uncharacteristically cliche-free post from him.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Scott_xP said:

The City’s financial dominance has survived:

Catastrophic defeat in N America & loss of the 13 colonies

Napoleon’s gigantic continental blockade

The collapse of the empire

Many of its buildings being literally destroyed in WW2

Now here we are

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63623502

One day’s valuation is meaningless

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

"How did Twitter die?" Hemingway asked.

"Two ways," the engineer said. "Gradually, then suddenly."

https://twitter.com/evacide/status/1592265221816877056

You fail to see the irony in a) this being posted on twitter and b) reposted by you here?
    Twitter isn’t going to die.
    But it might go bust.
    Too many people appear to find twitter useful, so I also don't think it will die. But what will happen if it goes bust?
    It will get new owners, who buy it out of Chapter 11.
    For less than $44bn…
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Luntz is a Jeremy Huntz

If Frank did a show with the Chancellor and ERG as guests, would it be called Luntz Huntz C….
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The City’s financial dominance has survived:

Catastrophic defeat in N America & loss of the 13 colonies

Napoleon’s gigantic continental blockade

The collapse of the empire

Many of its buildings being literally destroyed in WW2

Now here we are

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63623502

Not certain what France's luxury goods stocks going up thanks to the situation in China has to do with the price of fish.

But the City isn't the Stock Market and the FTSE has had its problems for a very long time.

Recently when comparing house price changes I posted this:

At the end of 1999 the FTSE 100 was 6930 and the average house price in England was £75k
    Today [26 October] the FTSE 100 is 6996 and according to the ONS the average house price reached £292k in July.

This isn't Brexit, this is the UK's economy being greatly unbalanced which has continued for decades now.
    And yet my quoted portfolio has compounded at double digit rates since 1999… the overall index price is meaningless
  • Options
    Luntz is interesting on the undecideds. 8% at the final moment of voting are still unsure he claims.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    This Washington Post cartoon may cheer some of you up: https://twitter.com/deAdder/status/1591200574300917762
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

That’s a huge call. 😯
    Well, the government falls if they don't. They'll vote if through for another couple of years of suckling at the tit and hope something turns up to revive tory fortunes.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It is not prospering

We cut off our own leg.

The point is often made by rightwing immigration haters that many illegals from countries such as Albania prefer to come to Britain than to hang around in Italy, France, etc. "Why do you think that is?" they ask sneeringly. "Could it be because they're all given free TV sets with enormous screens and guarantees of copious amounts of welfare benefits for the rest of their lives, unlike in Frogland where they get chased from pillar to post by gendarmes and have to dodge petrol bombs thrown by National Rally types who actually care about their motherland?"

Of course it could also be because gangsters who will employ them (as forced labour or otherwise) have been allowed to become established in the British underground economy.
    Do you think we can fix that without introducing ID cards and, if not, is it a price worth paying?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

This is horrifying. The Iranian parliament votes overwhelmingly (227-63) to execute the 15,000 protesters they already arrested.

These were peaceful protestors simply seeking the right to basic justice and autonomy. Unacceptable and barbaric.

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1592173879493120001

Are we really going to play them in the WC next monday? Time for a stand and refuse to play.
    FIFA would award them the points and probably kick England out fir the tournament for being unsportsmanlike
  • Options

Ohhhhh so new Social Care Masterplan is unshackle the 3% limit and direct all moans about funding to the councils?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

It has periods of great interest, when things are happening.

And then periods when it's very quiet.

It's now quiet.

So be it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

You fail to see the irony in a) this being posted on twitter and b) reposted by you here?
    But it might go bust.
    Too many people appear to find twitter useful, so I also don't think it will die. But what will happen if it goes bust?
    For less than $44bn…
    Considerably.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Meh

The England Team Photo is sooooo good

• Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Meh

Not sure what you guys are looking for to relieve the tedium.

The worst job I ever had...
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Meh

The England Team Photo is sooooo good

Maguire hardly front and centre these days 🤭

Whose that leaning on White?
  • Options
    Waiting for Whatcom
    Skagit and Island too

Today's results from these three WA counties, will likely decide the outcome in three legislative races that right now are too close to call.

Will NOT determine control of the Legislature - Democrats have majorities in both houses already - but still important. Especially for the constituents of the eventual winners.

All three counties scheduled to release updated results within a couple hours. And am guessing they will all come close to hitting bottom, leaving just very late ballots and cures to count.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited November 2022

Nigelb said:

This is horrifying. The Iranian parliament votes overwhelmingly (227-63) to execute the 15,000 protesters they already arrested.

These were peaceful protestors simply seeking the right to basic justice and autonomy. Unacceptable and barbaric.

Are we really going to play them in the WC next monday? Time for a stand and refuse to play.
    FIFA would award them the points and probably kick England out fir the tournament for being unsportsmanlike
    Can we field the women's team instead, dressed inappropriately?

Surely the Iranians would have to leave the pitch.
  • Options

Luntz is a Jeremy Huntz

If Frank did a show with the Chancellor and ERG as guests, would it be called Luntz Huntz C….
    If Frank is a bit wobbly yet still tactical re: his prognostications these day, could call his show "Luntz Bunts".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Mine went up 4% last year.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Andy_JS said:

Left-wing firebrand Ricky Tomlinson says "people will die if the triple lock is abolished".

And? They will die if it's not abolished, too.

In any case, it (and all benefits) should be grow/shrink with average earnings. The absolute level is another question.
  • Options

Ohhhhh so new Social Care Masterplan is unshackle the 3% limit and direct all moans about funding to the councils?
    No finer summary will be found in any newspaper. :+1:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mine went up 4% last year.
    Above 3% they need a referendum I thought?
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

https://youtu.be/3_gVgfDm0CY

^ The crowds in Kherson! It looks like VE day in Trafalgar Square! There must be half a dozen OAPs at least chanting for the foreign film crew!

Given that you guys kidnapped the kids, tortured the men and raped the women are you surprised there aren’t many left?
  • Options
    Why does it take so long to count the votes in Maricopa County? Because most voters there like the convenience of mailing their ballots, and there are a lot of voters in the county:

"It has been offered for decades, and it is popular. In Maricopa County, about 80 percent of voters asked for early ballots that can be mailed, put in secure drop boxes, or handed in at polling locations on Election Day. Given that this is the fourth-largest county in the nation by population, that adds up to a lot of ballots.

When ballots arrive downtown, the work begins in a process that includes matching signatures on envelopes with signature samples on file. The ballots zip over to bipartisan teams that remove them from envelopes and then send them to tabulation. Video cameras transmit feeds that voters can watch online. In recent years, Trump, other Republican candidates and activists attacked the early voting system and instructed supporters to vote in person or to drop off their ballots on Election Day."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/11/12/arizona-election-vote-count-maricopa-county/

And because their ballots typically have so many choices on them, besides the national election.

(If impatient bettors elsewhere really need to know the results to pay their bills, or whatever, then perhaps in the future they should avoid bets that take some time to pay off.)
  • Options
    The close House election brings up an interesting possibility, especially for those who know what happened in 1930:

"While the Democrats gained 52 seats in the 1930 midterm elections, Republicans retained a narrow one-seat majority of 218 seats after the polls closed versus the Democrats' 216 seats; however, during the 13 weeks between these elections and the start of the 72nd Congress, 14 members-elect died (including incumbent Speaker Nicholas Longworth), and the Democrats gained an additional three seats in the special elections called to fill these vacancies, thus gaining control of the House (they held a 219–212 advantage over the Republicans when the new Congress convened)."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

With 435 members, many of them elderly, it is nearly certain that there will be special elections in the next two years, though almsot certainly not as many, or as soon, as after the 1930 election.
  • Options
    Quick update from the AZ Governor race: we've had ballot drops from Yuma and Apache counties. Both were mildly positive for Hobbs, extending her lead marginally.

It is worth noting that Lake leads in Yuma (56-44), and will have been hoping late ballots would have been more favourable. Still, it's fairly small numbers (c. 4,500 votes).
  • Options
    And Pima is out:

42 Lake
    58 Hobbs

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

But it might go bust.
    For less than $44bn…
    Considerably.
    Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke 😂

• Options

Nigelb said:

Can we field the women's team instead, dressed inappropriately?

Surely the Iranians would have to leave the pitch.
    They’d probably blame the Great Satan or something

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

And Pima is out:

42 Lake
    58 Hobbs

In an hour we have Maricopa. It's a big drop, but it's also the last big drop of the AZ Governor's race. If Lake is not within 5,000 votes or so of Hobbs after this drop, then (barring recount craziness), then it's all over.

Right now, Lake is 29,000 votes behind, and there's about 80,000 coming this evening. After that, there's some provisionals and ballots waiting for curing, but those probably favour Hobbs over Lake - albeit marginally.

Lake needs a big win - c. 52,500 vs 27,500 - just to stay in the race.
  • Options

Why does it take so long to count the votes in Maricopa County? Because most voters there like the convenience of mailing their ballots, and there are a lot of voters in the county:

"It has been offered for decades, and it is popular. In Maricopa County, about 80 percent of voters asked for early ballots that can be mailed, put in secure drop boxes, or handed in at polling locations on Election Day. Given that this is the fourth-largest county in the nation by population, that adds up to a lot of ballots.

When ballots arrive downtown, the work begins in a process that includes matching signatures on envelopes with signature samples on file. The ballots zip over to bipartisan teams that remove them from envelopes and then send them to tabulation. Video cameras transmit feeds that voters can watch online. In recent years, Trump, other Republican candidates and activists attacked the early voting system and instructed supporters to vote in person or to drop off their ballots on Election Day."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/11/12/arizona-election-vote-count-maricopa-county/

And because their ballots typically have so many choices on them, besides the national election.

(If impatient bettors elsewhere really need to know the results to pay their bills, or whatever, then perhaps in the future they should avoid bets that take some time to pay off.)

Postal voting has become very popular in the UK recently, but all ballots have to be in by 10pm on election day. Therefore they don't delay the counting of votes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Postal voting has become very popular in the UK recently, but all ballots have to be in by 10pm on election day. Therefore they don't delay the counting of votes.
    The ballots that are being counted today are the ones that were dropped off in secure boxes on election day!

The fundamental problem is that all elections are counted simultaneously, and there will probably be 20 contests, ranging from ballot propositions, to judges, to city councilmen, to Mayors, Secretary of State, State and National Respresentatives and Senators, and the Governor.

Phew.

If the US had fewer elected roles, it would be a hell of a lot easier.
  • Options
    In WA State, three of the close legislative race I've been closely watching, have been decided - for the Democrats. This in Whatcom County on Canadian border, in a district that's boundaries hardly changed at all due to redistricting. Dems previously held two state house seats, while Reps retained state senate very narrowly in 2020. So net gain of +1 here districtwide AND in state house.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The ballots that are being counted today are the ones that were dropped off in secure boxes on election day!

The fundamental problem is that all elections are counted simultaneously, and there will probably be 20 contests, ranging from ballot propositions, to judges, to city councilmen, to Mayors, Secretary of State, State and National Respresentatives and Senators, and the Governor.

Phew.

If the US had fewer elected roles, it would be a hell of a lot easier.
    Plus the US's stupid gerrymandering, so that you need to make sure that ballots are for the right congressional district.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    rcs1000 said:

And Pima is out:

42 Lake
    58 Hobbs

Hobbs lead up 5,500.

Hobbs lead now 30,231.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

rcs1000 said:

And Pima is out:

42 Lake
    58 Hobbs

Hobbs lead up 5,500.

Hobbs lead now 30,231.
    Unless it's an exceptionally good drop for Lake, then I think the networks will call this for Hobbs this evening.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Too many good Seans have left, and the replacements are tedious and unfunny.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Maricopa release coming within 15 minutes - will be 72,000 votes.

This is all early vote remaining - after this everything will be in except cured votes.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Hobbs currently leads by 1.2%.

Cut-off for automatic recount is 0.5% - ie approx 12,500 vote margin.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Maricopa vote in - with CNN on commercial break.

Hobbs lead now 20,481.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Maricopa vote dump:

Hobbs 30,825 (43%)
    Lake 40,575 (57%)

Confirm Hobbs lead now 20,481.

Expect CNN to now call it.
This discussion has been closed.