Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Barty Bobs / HYUFD throwdown on the previous thread about South East England was pure Vogon poetry. Well done to all involved.

It’s quickly spread to this thread too 😯

Can I say, HY does have a good point - if London is a ”region” and South East is a region, how can two regions be in same place same time?

For example, can you tell me which region Oxford is in?
    Oxford is also South East not London
    Arguably, Oxford is the southern end of the Midlands. Banbury up the road isn't the SE for sure.
    Oxford is definitely in the Midlands, it just won't admit it because of snobbery.
    You would give Christ Church high table heart attacks if you told them they were eating in the Midlands!
    But they are happy to be eating in the South East?
    Yes, as it is the poshest region outside London
    Posh! Have you ever been to Blackbird Leys?
    SouthEast region. The average Christ Church Don goes to Blackbird Leys even less often than the Midlands
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Barty Bobs / HYUFD throwdown on the previous thread about South East England was pure Vogon poetry. Well done to all involved.

Can I say, HY does have a good point - if London is a ”region” and South East is a region, how can two regions be in same place same time?

Arguably, Oxford is the southern end of the Midlands. Banbury up the road isn't the SE for sure.
    No, Banbury is also South East.

West Midlands is Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and West Midlands metropolitan county (including Birmingham and Coventry and Wolverhampton) only

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_(region)
    They shouldn't have changed the old South East and East Anglia regions in 1999. Before then East Anglia simply consisted of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, and the South East still included Hertfordshire, Essex and Bedfordshire.

North Essex though is much closer to

Cambridgeshire and Suffolk than it is to the rest of the South East
    Indeed North Essex is absolutely lovely. As is Epping Forest!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Dura_Ace said:

What threats or warnings has Iran been given over its involvement in the war in Ukraine? There seems to have been a shrug of the shoulders.

What do you want to happen? A fresh war in the Middle East because the last two or three went so terrifically well?
    There are plenty of options available without a full blown war. Time and again all you do is oppose the use of western military force in response to the aggressions of others. I'm sure you regard it as 'realism.' I'm inclined to wonder which side you support.
    So what do you want? I'm hearing really good things about sanctions lately.

Iran has as much right to meddle in the SMO as the UK does.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,474
    Interesting fact: Albania has lost nearly 20% of its population since its peak in 1990.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,879
    Just climbed up to an Icelandic church in Vik to see the promised Northern Lights. Failed
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD I know you like linking to the internet for your facts so try looking up London in Wikapedia. It says: 'It stands on the River Thames in south-east England'

Now I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but you do so what do you say to that?

See you haven't either conceded IHT wasn't at the bottom of that table (last thread) as you said, but over half way up, although we can all see it.

You do look silly by not bailing.

The River Thames also goes through Oxfordshire and Berkshire in South East England yes, London doesn't.

It also says 'London, also known as Greater London, is one of nine regions of England and the top subdivision covering most of the city's metropolis.' London is 1 of those 9 regions, South East another

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England
    What an utterly boring subject
    Bart couldn't ruffle the HYUFD and chucked the towel in. TKO to the Chigwell Crusher.
    I am getting my belt on now, Heavyweight Boring Subject Champion of the PB World - HYUFD!!!
    You can do better, that's not even an acronym. On topic:

HYUFD = Have You Understood Fundamental Demographics?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,516
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Oxford is definitely in the Midlands, it just won't admit it because of snobbery.
    You would give Christ Church high table heart attacks if you told them they were eating in the Midlands!
    SouthEast region. The average Christ Church
    Don goes to Blackbird Leys even less often than the Midlands
    Ideal opportunity to note that when I was there (admittedly many moons ago) several of the dons were part of the Blackbird Leys education scheme which involved members trekking out to the various poorer areas and giving 1-2-1 tuition to secondary school kids there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What threats or warnings has Iran been given over its involvement in the war in Ukraine? There seems to have been a shrug of the shoulders.

What do you want to happen? A fresh war in the Middle East because the last two or three went so terrifically well?
    There are plenty of options available without a full blown war. Time and again all you do is oppose the use of western military force in response to the aggressions of others. I'm sure you regard it as 'realism.' I'm inclined to wonder which side you support.

If the UK were supplying Ukraine drones and ballistic missiles with 1000km+ range, for use on Russian population centres, you might have half a point.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not under the terms of the Iran nuclear deal it doesn’t, though admittedly that’s been in partial abeyance since Trump pulled the US out.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

SouthEast region. The average Christ Church
    Don goes to Blackbird Leys even less often than the Midlands
    Ideal opportunity to note that when I was there (admittedly many moons ago) several of the dons were part of the Blackbird Leys education scheme which involved members trekking out to the various poorer areas and giving 1-2-1 tuition to secondary school kids there.
    Fair enough, a few might have, overall however Christ Church still take in 50% of their students from private schools, the joint second highest private school total intake at an Oxford college after Trinity
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Hunt’s Windfall Tax to raise £40bn!

Take that where it hurts, Labour.

And that’s just Energy firms, how much they also creaming off the banks?

And some PBers said these amounts were impossible 😤
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208

Dura_Ace said:

Take Bromley, which is in London and Kent simultaneously.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Obviously, London is geographically in the South East, never mind what HYUFD thinks.

The statistical regions are in some cases entirely artificial, and not supposed to trump everyday usage.

Personally, as I may have mentioned, I largely follow the watersheds, but correct using the the traditional county lines to avoid dismembering counties.

That puts Oxon, Berks, Herts, Essex, London, Surrey, Sussex and Kent in the South East (or perhaps better, “Thames”).

Northants, Beds, Cambs, and East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk) are all “Eastern” counties.

Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire are “Wessex”, Somerset and Dorset are “South West”, and Cornwall is Cornwall.

The Midlands start with Gloucs and then run up through Warks, Leics, Rutland, Lincs.

My judgment on this matter is final.
  • Options
    Some polling data from People Polling:

"58% of the country think “The British government has lost control of the country’s borders”, according to new and exclusive polling by People Polling for GB News. This jumps to an even higher 75% among Conservative and 76% among Leavers. Only 14% of the country disagree the country has lost control of its borders."

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/exclusive-poll-nightmare-for-rishi-sunak-public-furious-as-uk-migration-rages-out-of-control/383163
  • Options
    TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not under the terms of the Iran nuclear deal it doesn’t, though admittedly that’s been in partial abeyance since Trump pulled the US out.
    There’s also the interesting question about whether or not the current regime is about to get overthrown by a popular uprising.
    That seems slightly improbable, but not impossible.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966

dixiedean said:

The Barty/ HYUFD/numerous others of differing opinions is symptomatic of why the Tories are doomed as a government.
    Absolutely no scintilla of an agreement on even the very basics of how the country ought to be run.

@HYUFD is part of the ERG far right group much like the Corbynites in labour, and it is upto Rishi to take the party towards the centre and he will either win or lose 24 depending on just how successful he is over the next 2 years

It is a very big mountain to climb

HYUFD is not far right. That’s completely ridiculous
    Far right? HYUFD is always right (sometimes).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

I've been busy all day, missed PMQs. What was the consensus?

Starmer 6-0 to be fair
    I had it 0-6
  • Options
    Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bromley is now in London, it elects the London Mayor and London Assembly not Kent County Councillors, even if much of it still has a Kent postcode
  • Options

Starmer 6-0 to be fair
    I had it 0-6
    And as Hunt and Sunak prepare their BIG budget war chest, Starmer’s Health Spokesman whines there is no point throwing money at the NHS. 🤣
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

There’s also the interesting question about whether or not the current regime is about to get overthrown by a popular uprising.
    It have been done by now if the protests had enough momentum. Its going to take something else.
  • Options
    As expected, Suella’s raging about migration has simply escalated the issue to the top of the headlines and reminded voters that a) it is broken, and b) the Tories have made it worse.
  • Options
    US Fed apparently doing its best to sink Democratic hopes for the midterms with another 0.75% rate rise today.

Next rise over here 0.75 or 1% ?
  • Options
    Meanwhile Leaky Sue extends the Rwanda plan to include Belize, Paraguay, and Peru.

Who said this period was going to be boring?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

If the UK were supplying Ukraine drones and ballistic missiles with 1000km+ range, for use on Russian population centres, you might have half a point.
    That's automatic contrarianism for you, it falls apart at the slightest push. Gives a nice warm feeling if you pretend no one else at all has ever expressed a nuanced or realistic view of things though.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

US Fed apparently doing its best to sink Democratic hopes for the midterms with another 0.75% rate rise today.

Next rise UK is tomorrows 0.75

However…

• Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD I know you like linking to the internet for your facts so try looking up London in Wikapedia. It says: 'It stands on the River Thames in south-east England'

Now I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but you do so what do you say to that?

See you haven't either conceded IHT wasn't at the bottom of that table (last thread) as you said, but over half way up, although we can all see it.

The River Thames also goes through Oxfordshire and Berkshire in South East England yes, London doesn't.

It also says 'London, also known as Greater London, is one of nine regions of England and the top subdivision covering most of the city's metropolis.' London is 1 of those 9 regions, South East another

Bart couldn't ruffle the HYUFD and chucked the towel in. TKO to the Chigwell Crusher.
    I am getting my belt on now, Heavyweight Boring Subject Champion of the PB World - HYUFD!!!

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

For example, can you tell me which region Oxford

is in?
    It is in London only. Hasn’t been in Kent since the 1960s.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bromley is now in London, it elects the London Mayor and London Assembly not Kent County Councillors, even if much of it still has a Kent postcode
    For now. Several of the conservative councillors are likely to try to secede to Kent if Khan gets a third term.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

It have been done by now if the protests had enough momentum. Its going to take something else.
    Perhaps, but still they persist.
  • Options

Starmer 6-0 to be fair
    I had it 0-6
    There’s a surprise
  • Options

Starmer 6-0 to be fair
    I had it 0-6
    To Corbyn ?
  • Options

Meanwhile Leaky Sue extends the Rwanda plan to include Belize, Paraguay, and Peru.

It’s like a twist on one of those existential jokes.

“Cabinet Secretary, how many people have we successfully deported to Rwanda?”

“None, Home Secretary.”

“Excellent. Then I think it’s time to extend the policy to Belize, Paraguay and Peru - so we can deport none there too.”
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

For now. Several of the conservative councillors are likely to try to secede to Kent if Khan gets a third term.
    File under Not Happening (the secession)
  • Options

Starmer 6-0 to be fair
    I had it 0-6
    There’s a surprise
    Handa.
  • Options

“None, Home Secretary.”

“Excellent. Then I think it’s time to extend the policy to Belize, Paraguay and Peru - so we can deport none there too.”
    It’s currently cost £130M and counting. Bringing in another three partners dramatically raises the stakes in that financial regard, as well as expectations on actually delivering results.
  • Options

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

File under Not Happening (the secession)
    There is precedent, the good people of Badger's Mount managed to escape the tyranny of Greater London back into Kent in the late 60s.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

is in?

Tell that to my postman.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Next rise UK is tomorrows 0.75

However…

I think BoE may only be 0.5% rise it will be a close call between that and 0.75% though.

If Truss was still here would likely have been 1%
  • Options

Obviously, London is geographically in the South East, never mind what HYUFD thinks.

The statistical regions are in some cases entirely artificial, and not supposed to trump everyday usage.

Personally, as I may have mentioned, I largely follow the watersheds, but correct using the the traditional county lines to avoid dismembering counties.

That puts Oxon, Berks, Herts, Essex, London, Surrey, Sussex and Kent in the South East (or perhaps better, “Thames”).

Northants, Beds, Cambs, and East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk) are all “Eastern” counties.

Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire are “Wessex”, Somerset and Dorset are “South West”, and Cornwall is Cornwall.

The Midlands start with Gloucs and then run up through Warks, Leics, Rutland, Lincs.

The strangest one IMO is that Banbury is in the south-east but Watford isn't.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Dura_Ace said:

I'm out of Twitter jail! Just going to have a cup of tea then get to work on dicktard culture warrior Mark Jenkinson MP.

How does Twitter jail work? Do you get banned for a specific period of time?
    Yeah, usually 24 hours. You can get a whole life tariff (like DJT) but apparently you have to do more than abuse tory MPs with violent sexual imagery or express a desire for the Duke of Edinburgh to be dead (he was alive at the time).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The strangest one IMO is that Banbury is in the south-east but Watford isn't.
    That’s because the statistical regions are makey-uppy. No-one with their head screwed on think Herts is “Eastern”.
  • Options

Those numbers don't add up.

He is claiming it will raise £40 billion in 5 years. But the 25% supplemental windfall tax that had already been proposed by the Government was already going to raise around $10 billion a year for 5 years - which would have been £50 billion so they are claiming this proposal will raise less than their original plans.
  • Options

Paddington's gonna be exiled to Peru? Noooo!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited November 2022
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Tres said:

Dura_Ace said:

is in?

Tell that to my postman.
    Postal "counties" haven't been used by the PO since 1996:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_counties_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,177

Worse, Lord Ashcroft's going to be running the Belize end!
  • Options

Thanks, Tory Girl :lol:
  • Options

🤭

It’s not forgotten by me, Starmer’s first PMQs question to Liz was simply “you’ve been telling hustings your not going to do Windfall Tax, are you serious?” She replied “yes I am serious, we are not doing a Windfall Tax.” And her premiership never really recovered from that moment.

There is also a lot of PBers in the archives explaining not just how Labours idea for a Windfall tax is such a bad idea, but being quite specific how it’s impossible to raise the sort of £40bn Hunt is creaming.

And the budget will be creaming bank profits too - how much will that be?
  • Options

Those numbers don't add up.

He is claiming it will raise £40 billion in 5 years. But the 25% supplemental windfall tax that had already been proposed by the Government was already going to raise around $10 billion a year for 5 years - which would have been £50 billion so they are claiming this proposal will raise less than their original plans.
    So the British people end up owing the Energy Companies about £10bn?
  • Options

That’s an interesting point, why the government has been taking them out the processing plant and coaching the asylum seekers to London and dumping them at random train stations all week. Was there a top level crisis meeting, and all they could come up with was “well, it worked for Paddington?”

They have certainly solved the over crowding crisis with these coach trips and random dumping, so Gale and Cooper just have to pipe down about it’s too full now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Yokes said:

Ukraine

So Russia had a short tantrum over grain shipments. On Monday I posted that Russia couldnt directly take on a fuck off & carry on response and that someone should look closely at much tonnage the Turkish navy had in the area.

And so it was. Erdogan just told Russia dare and try to stop the ships sailing. Russia backs down. Thats how it works with Putin, he can sneak about and make things difficult but he depends on those who have the ability to outmuscle him not using their strength.

Never eases to amaze how little people get that.

Dwarves can often be wise.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

BBC puts them with the south, not south east
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

One loses the will to live. Being expelled from an airlock to certain death in deep space would be sweet relief after witnessing what passes for “thinking” in Mini Franco’s “mind”.

He is improbably thick, on a galactic scale.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt are planning to extend windfall taxes on oil and gas companies to raise an estimated £40 billion over five years.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunak-prepares-big-tax-grab-from-energy-firms-m7wdbv7pw (£££)
  • Options

Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt are planning to extend windfall taxes on oil and gas companies to raise an estimated £40 billion over five years.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunak-prepares-big-tax-grab-from-energy-firms-m7wdbv7pw (£££)

The oil and gas companies should support independence. We’ll only charge them £30 billion. Win win.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

London and the South East.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Great podcast from tortoise;

The undoing of Liz Truss

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-slow-newscast/id1487320403
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075
    ping said:

Great podcast from tortoise;

The undoing of Liz Truss

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-slow-newscast/id1487320403

Thanks. I will listen to this in the office today.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

Dura_Ace said:

One loses the will to live. Being expelled from an airlock to certain death in deep space would be sweet relief after witnessing what passes for “thinking” in Mini Franco’s “mind”.

He is improbably thick, on a galactic scale.
    Rather than everyone losing the will to live, why didn't everyone accept HYUFD's point that for the purposes of whatever discussion was being had, London should be treated separately from the rest of the South East? Would save a lot of time.
  • Options

It looks to me like Rishi/Hunt will take the politically least risky decisions possible in this - more windfall tax/extend fiscal drag etc.

Don't expect fireworks on 17th November. They won't want anything that creates an exciting headline.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,984

Why would we? This way we get to drain their military reserves as well.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It’s the difference between Region and region… if that helps…

London is in the south eastern region or part of the UK. From an administrative perspective it is not part of the South East Region…
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To re-state a question I asked earlier why have UK gas prices spiked again?

Probably because there's very little storage, and an LNG cargo has been diverted to Rotterdam.
    Really? Something like that and they spike? No sort of clever market people with 9 screens and coffee addiction peering into the future and getting a sense of something they don’t like? Just one walky-talks conversation “Sorry Biffur, all full, try Rotterdam.”
    Would it be unduly expensive to use tankers as storage and pay to keep a few moored in Milford Haven through the winter?
    It’s a good question. The answer as you sugggest, with these tankers worth their weight in gold right now, it could be too expensive to moor one down like that.
    This article says “could top” $500k this winter

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/opinion/lng-carrier-rates-could-top-500-000-per-day-this-winter-in-a-super-tight-market/2-1-1305993

I think the issue is that if they are moored then they are not off getting your next load so you are just creating a bigger problem down the line

Basically - once again - the government (along with most other people) forgot that one of their primary roles is structural resilience
  • Options

That London is in the South East?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

rcs1000 said:

To re-state a question I asked earlier why have UK gas prices spiked again?

Probably because there's very little storage, and an LNG cargo has been diverted to Rotterdam.
    Really? Something like that and they spike? No sort of clever market people with 9 screens and coffee addiction peering into the future and getting a sense of something they don’t like? Just one walky-talks conversation “Sorry Biffur, all full, try Rotterdam.”
    Would it be unduly expensive to use tankers as storage and pay to keep a few moored in Milford Haven through the winter?
    It’s a good question. The answer as you sugggest, with these tankers worth their weight in gold right now, it could be too expensive to moor one down like that.
    This article says “could top” $500k this winter

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/opinion/lng-carrier-rates-could-top-500-000-per-day-this-winter-in-a-super-tight-market/2-1-1305993

I think the issue is that if they are moored then they are not off getting your next load so you are just creating a bigger problem down the line

Basically - once again - the government (along with most other people) forgot that one of their primary roles is structural resilience
    LNG vessels are not great looking term stores of natural gas, because - while they are well insulated - they have no way to actually cool the gas. An LNG vessel will therefore see its gas warming and expanding and ultimately returning to a gaseous state.
  • Options
    Actually, having taken a look at mortgage rates this morning they're not too bad - provided you go for a tracker.

It's the fixed rates deals that are a killer.

• Options

It looks to me like Rishi/Hunt will take the politically least risky decisions possible in this - more windfall tax/extend fiscal drag etc.

Don't expect fireworks on 17th November. They won't want anything that creates an exciting headline.
    Thresholds reportedly to be frozen until 2028 (not that they’re likely to be in government that long).
    That would add up over time to a very large middle income tax rise.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    An example of why US tech sanctions on China are very effective.
    The really big chip manufacturers Korea and Taiwan simply can’t operate without the US (though much the same applies in the opposite direction as far as chip manufacturing is concerned).

Korea highly dependent on foreign chip equipment: KITA
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/11/129_339135.html
    Korea's dependence on semiconductor equipment from the U.S., Japan and the Netherlands has reached 77.5 percent, sparking worries that the high level of dependence could be geopolitically and diplomatically risky in the future. Some experts are advising Korea to join the Chip 4 Alliance to ensure a stable supply of semiconductor equipment, according to a Korea International Trade Association (KITA) report, Thursday.

The KITA released a report titled, "Recent Semiconductor Equipment Trade Trends and Implications," and it states that global semiconductor equipment trade increased 2.4 percent year-on-year in 2018 due to a surge in global semiconductor equipment investment, recording a record high of $101.2 billion. The top three export countries for semiconductor equipment were Japan ($31.2 billion), the U.S. ($28.4 billion), and the Netherlands ($20.1 billion).

In the global semiconductor equipment market, five major semiconductor equipment companies, including Applied Materials (U.S.), Lam Research (U.S.), KLA (U.S.), Tokyo Electron (Japan) and ASML (Netherlands), account for 79.5 percent of the total….
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

Thresholds reportedly to be frozen until 2028 (not that they’re likely to be in government that long).
    You think an incoming alternative gvernment will be cutting taxes?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    "There seems to be the view that the current polls with a LAB leads getting into the low 30s won’t survive and in the end there will be a huge turn back to the Tories. Maybe. Maybe not."

As far as whether the Labour lead will survive, surely the view reflected in that chart is precisely "Maybe. Maybe not."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

You'd give them heart attacks if you tried to suggest we'd left the EU too.

They'd demand a carve out wherever you tried to place them. Oxford colleges are their own little universe. That much of the rest of the place is a dump smelling of piss passes them by.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited November 2022
    The Wiki line of best fit is now Lab 49, Con 27.5 - ie lead 21.5.

That compares to Lab 53, Con 22 - ie lead 31 - which was the highest Lab lead.

Just before the Truss collapse it was Lab 41, Con 32 - ie lead 9.

So if we compare the position now to a base of just before the Truss collapse the changes are:

Lab +8
    Con -4.5

.... which reflects the fact that the LDs and Greens are also down.

Another way of looking at it is that the Con rating has recovered 55% of its Truss collapse (ie 5.5/10). But it hasn't recovered 55% of the increase in the Lab lead - because Lab is up more than Con is down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    Roger said:

Looking at the last thread header it'll be interesting to see when 'Kwarteng' enters the dictionary. It's bound to happen but it's not obvious yet what it'll define. The obvious one 'Someone who brings down a government by being off the scale incompetent' seems like a waste. How often would you be able to use it? Someone who destroys a brand has been claimed by Gerald Ratner.

It's bound to happen. There's a word to describe the creation of such a word which I've just forgotten.....

Kwarteng vb. - to (usually unintentionally) cause extreme damage to a friend, generally due to some hairbrained scheme

Example: "I was happily running an electric car and rocket company when my mate persuaded me to buy Twitter. Guess he really Kwartenged me, lol"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    What was the Home Office doing when it bussed "invasion" migrants to central London and abandoned them without supervision?

Are they expected to get to Rwanda on their own?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Nigelb said:

An example of why US tech sanctions on China are very effective.
    The really big chip manufacturers Korea and Taiwan simply can’t operate without the US (though much the same applies in the opposite direction as far as chip manufacturing is concerned).

Korea highly dependent on foreign chip equipment: KITA
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/11/129_339135.html
    Korea's dependence on semiconductor equipment from the U.S., Japan and the Netherlands has reached 77.5 percent, sparking worries that the high level of dependence could be geopolitically and diplomatically risky in the future. Some experts are advising Korea to join the Chip 4 Alliance to ensure a stable supply of semiconductor equipment, according to a Korea International Trade Association (KITA) report, Thursday.

The KITA released a report titled, "Recent Semiconductor Equipment Trade Trends and Implications," and it states that global semiconductor equipment trade increased 2.4 percent year-on-year in 2018 due to a surge in global semiconductor equipment investment, recording a record high of $101.2 billion. The top three export countries for semiconductor equipment were Japan ($31.2 billion), the U.S. ($28.4 billion), and the Netherlands ($20.1 billion).

In the global semiconductor equipment market, five major semiconductor equipment companies, including Applied Materials (U.S.), Lam Research (U.S.), KLA (U.S.), Tokyo Electron (Japan) and ASML (Netherlands), account for 79.5 percent of the total….

The world is becoming increasingly interdependent. With my positive cap on this is good, as it means countries need to muddle along together more, decreasing the risks of conflict. With my negative hat on this is bad, as countries may decide to grab the reasons for interdependence, or use technology access as power levers (as the US is doing atm with chips).

Russia is discovering that having to import loads of white good in order to get simple chips is *not* an efficient way of doing things.

As for interdependence in the chip industry: I've said this before, but about ten years ago Mrs J had a chip project. The wafer was made in a fab in China; the wafers were transported to Austria for packaging (putting into the plastic or ceramic or ??? casing), then those were flown to the US and England for the main testing.

Why was it done that way? The company was American, and they had the test equipment for this design. The design had been done in the UK. The only fab plant available for the required process was in China (booked many months in advance), and the only place available to package them in the required manner was in Austria. And as wafers and chips are light and not that bulky, it is cheaper to fly them around the world than it is to try to set up new lines for production.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Nigelb said:

Is the real point of this sort of option that it is increases/changes to thresholds that require parliamentary votes but freezes are the default? So an easy thing for the Govt to get through.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

It also passes on the problem to (potentially) the next Labour government.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

Is the real point of this sort of option that it is increases/changes to thresholds that require parliamentary votes but freezes are the default? So an easy thing for the Govt to get through.

Well at most there could only be a need to vote on the threshold for the next tax year.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited November 2022
    Voters in the historic “red wall” seat of Sedgefield in County Durham, where Tony Blair was once elected to parliament, are willing to give Rishi Sunak a chance to improve their prospects as the cost of living crisis deepens, since Keir Starmer is “not making a case for himself”.

Members of a focus group, conducted by UK More in Common for the Guardian, described Sunak as “the money man” with a CV that proves he was the “best of a bad bunch” of Conservative leadership candidates……

“Winning back their confidence won’t be easy. But the good news for Rishi Sunak was that they thought he was the best person to clean up the mess, and didn’t think that anyone else, including Keir Starmer, would do a better job.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/03/red-wall-voters-willing-to-give-rishi-sunak-a-chance-according-to-focus-group
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Nigelb said:

True of so many problems that the last 5 Conservative Prime Ministers have failed to address.

It is going to be a cleaning of the Augean stables for Starmer.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Voters in the historic “red wall” seat of Sedgefield in County Durham, where Tony Blair was once elected to parliament, are willing to give Rishi Sunak a chance to improve their prospects as the cost of living crisis deepens, since Keir Starmer is “not making a case for himself”.

Members of a focus group, conducted by UK More in Common for the Guardian, described Sunak as “the money man” with a CV that proves he was the “best of a bad bunch” of Conservative leadership candidates.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/03/red-wall-voters-willing-to-give-rishi-sunak-a-chance-according-to-focus-group

AOTBE I'd expect some 'redwall' seats to stay blue next time, especially those which have been trending that way for some time.
  • Options

Members of a focus group, conducted by UK More in Common for the Guardian, described Sunak as “the money man” with a CV that proves he was the “best of a bad bunch” of Conservative leadership candidates……

“Winning back their confidence won’t be easy. But the good news for Rishi Sunak was that they thought he was the best person to clean up the mess, and didn’t think that anyone else, including Keir Starmer, would do a better job.”

Which plays into yesterday's suggestion that Rishi's faux Boris act at PMQs is deeply mistaken, and that he should revert to being the calm financial technocrat instead.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Oxfordshire is difficult. Henley is South-East, Banbury is Midlands, Chipping Norton is Cotswolds, and Oxford is a huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld, but with a traffic problem.
  • Options
    I am in the southernmost village of mainland Iceland, and I wish I wasn’t
  • Options

Alfred’s judgement was final.

Oxford is in Mercia
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

True of so many problems that the last 5 Conservative Prime Ministers have failed to address.

It is going to be a cleaning of the Augean stables for Starmer.
    I give it about 18 months until you're whining about his administration on here too and taking excitedly about the Lib Dems instead.
  • Options

“None, Home Secretary.”

Let’s ignore the merits or otherwise of the policy.

Peru is a mistake. Suella is definitely a bear of little brain.

• Options
    Foxy said:

What was the Home Office doing when it bussed "invasion" migrants to central London and abandoned them without supervision?

A magic trick to make their problem disappear?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Twinned with Wick?

Ha, on checking, is it Vik?
  • Options

Oxford is in Mercia
    Yet, earlier, someone put Herefordshire in the West Midlands (= Mercia)

An outrage. I grew up in Herefordshire and everyone there deeply resented the idea of being lumped in with the horrors of Birmingham and Wolverhampton

Herefordshire is in the Marches. It is the beautiful defensive zone of England as it butts up against Wales. The Marches are lovely. West Midlands is
    not lovely
  • Options

Which plays into yesterday's suggestion that Rishi's faux Boris act at PMQs is deeply mistaken, and that he should revert to being the calm financial technocrat instead.
    And proves once again that people will forgive the Tories anything, like a cheating husband who keeps worming his way back into the marriage. Incredible.
  • Options

Leon said:

Twinned with Wick?

Ha, on checking, is it Vik?
    Nicely done

Is Vik there? I can now say: Yes
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oxford is in Mercia
    Yet, earlier, someone put Herefordshire in the West Midlands (= Mercia)

An outrage. I grew up in Herefordshire and everyone there deeply resented the idea of being lumped in with the horrors of Birmingham and Wolverhampton

Herefordshire is in the Marches. It is the beautiful defensive zone of England as it butts up against Wales. The Marches are lovely. West Midlands is
    not lovely
    The West Midlands are in fact very lovely, or at least they were until somebody put Birmingham there.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    edited November 2022

🤭

It’s not forgotten by me, Starmer’s first PMQs question to Liz was simply “you’ve been telling hustings your not going to do Windfall Tax, are you serious?” She replied “yes I am serious, we are not doing a Windfall Tax.” And her premiership never really recovered from that moment.
    There is also a lot of PBers in the archives explaining not just how Labours idea for a Windfall tax is such a bad idea, but being quite specific how it’s impossible to raise the sort of £40bn Hunt is creaming.

And the budget will be creaming bank profits too - how much will that be?
    Deleted - misread your post (!)
  • Options
    felix said:

Members of a focus group, conducted by UK More in Common for the Guardian, described Sunak as “the money man” with a CV that proves he was the “best of a bad bunch” of Conservative leadership candidates.

AOTBE I'd expect some 'redwall' seats to stay blue next time, especially those which have been trending that way for some time.
    The seats where old coal mining sites have been converted to brownfield commuter estates have probably changed for good- probably from safe Labour to classic marginal.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

“None, Home Secretary.”

Let’s ignore the merits or otherwise of the policy.

Peru is a mistake. Suella is definitely a bear of little brain.

That was Winnie, not Paddington.

• Options
    Foxy said:

I think the No 38 bus goes to Rwanda, or at least it feels like it does at times.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2022
    TimS said:

And proves once again that people will forgive the Tories anything, like a cheating husband who keeps worming his way back into the marriage. Incredible.
    The reality of the situation is that Rishi is a welcome change from Truss and Boris. It’s a low bar he can walk under. Arguing to the contrary is a waste of time. He will be thanked for that, at least in the short term.

What will become clear is that change whilst necessary, was insufficient. We are starting to see that already. The government is still a mess.

The Conservative party is still split and confused, the ministers are still tired, the economy is on its knees and Tory solutions have demonstrably failed. Your taxes are going up, your costs are going up. They will both likely stay up into 2024.

So the question will be do you want another 5 years of that? If Labour can demonstrate another way, the answer will be no.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

They were told it was illegal to hold them at Manston. So they removed them to London and said "go to your friends and families" as they dumped them at Victoria at 11pm.

Sounds perfectly sensible to me. Proof that Leaky Sue is in complete control of protecting our borders and not just letting people wander away.
This discussion has been closed.