Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s speech: the reaction

Comments

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Patrick said:

I'm having trouble deciding if SamCam is hotter than Her Royal Qilfiness or not.

Any PB views?

The one with the bum's sister would be a fairer comparison.

• Options

Does Robin Brant know something about the UKIP event?

twitter.com/robindbrant/status/517306852334632962

I know absolutely nothing...

I said to TSE last night I didn't think there would be another MP defection until at least after the Clacton By-election. I would probably extend that even further to after whenever the Rochester election is held.

I saw something similar to that in the Telegraph, attributed to "senior UKIP figures" (or something along those lines)
    From yesterday's Telegraph. Stuart Wheeler reckons there will be two more MP's defect to UKIP before Christmas and Lord Cooper Cameron's former pollster reckons UKIP will get 4 seats at the General Election

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11131879/Ukip-to-win-four-seats-at-2015-general-election-says-Cameron-pollster.html
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Hugh said:

That said, it will get fawning headlines in the Tory press.

Last big roll of the dice isn't it. If this doesn't move the polls, Ed can start measuring the curtains.

Not sure he can, as it may not be covered by his definition of predistribution.
  • Options
    There is a £100bn annual deficit but politicians are promising increased spending (eg on the NHS) and reduced income tax.

No wonder politicians are not trusted.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hugh said:

That said, it will get fawning headlines in the Tory press.

Last big roll of the dice isn't it. If this doesn't move the polls, Ed can start measuring the curtains.

Can you see why it might have been wise for Ed to bang on about economics for 4 years - he's now left the field wiiiiiide open for Dave.

• Options
    JBriskin said:

Patrick said:

I'm having trouble deciding if SamCam is hotter than Her Royal Qilfiness or not.

Any PB views?

Hmmm...a dilemma indeed.

I think the answer comes from this way of thinking about it: If you were stuck on a desert island with SamCam and HRH Qilf which one would you eat first?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

Unfunded pre-election splurge from the self-styled Party of "fiscal responsibility".

The simpering NHS stuff was laughable. If you love it so much, Dave, why did you spunk billions on a chaotic top-down reorgnisation you promised wouldn't happen, and that no-one wanted apart from the Private Health companies - some Tory donors - who now have their profiteering hands on large chunks of it?

Care to remind us of Labour's plan to reorganise the NHS that Miliband mentioned in his 'speech' last week.

As for privatising healthcare, the previous government lead the way.
  • Options

There is a £100bn annual deficit but politicians are promising increased spending (eg on the NHS) and reduced income tax.

No wonder politicians are not trusted.

I was kinda thinking that during the speech - Ms Briskin no longer lets me off with such bland generalities. Her expectations may be a little high...

• Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    Sky: UKIP another bigger announcement at 5 O'Clock
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

*gets popcorn in*
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Any takers for John Baron?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Oh, so, predictable. Just in time for the evening bulletins.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited October 2014
    Cllr Chris Wood UKIP ‏@Chris_Wood_1989 3m3 minutes ago
    I will be watching Sky News at 5pm. I recommend many others do too. #ukip

I don't suppose he will be tuning onto Sky just for Cameron's speech. Might be worth keeping an eye open on twitter. Is it more than piss and wind?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

JBriskin said:

Patrick said:

Any PB views?

Hmmm...a dilemma indeed.

I think the answer comes from this way of thinking about it: If you were stuck on a desert island with SamCam and HRH Qilf which one would you eat first?
    Grumpy

SamCam looks a bit horsey - this has been previously stated hasn't it???

Otherwise-

PB EXCLUSIVE!!!

• Options

Has to be bigger than the morning one.

Ed Milliband has forced Ed Balls to join UKIP?
  • Options
    Antifrank's response to my pointing out a change in focus for the government is to quote a passage from a speech.

I'm talking about focus, direction, message. I can find a speech by Ed in which he talks about immigration.

That is a long way from saying it will be his focus.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Amazing how you slapped Hugh down there, without even mentioning Wales.

It's all getting a bit too easy really, isn't it?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    And a fine way to be. Something I'd aspire to myself on a 24/7 basis!
    JBriskin said:

edity edit edit.

Let's all just assume I'm still drunk.

• Options
    taffys said:

So easy that Labour lead the "no more top down reorgnisation" Tories by a country mile on the NHS.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,122
    taffys said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right. It’s high time politicians stopped messing about with NHS structures. By all means ensure that Stafford and perhaps Colchester are looked into properly but a good start might be to protect whistle-blowers from vindictive ex-colleagues.
  • Options

Antifrank's response to my pointing out a change in focus for the government is to quote a passage from a speech.

I'm talking about focus, direction, message. I can find a speech by Ed in which he talks about immigration.

And every time the Tories do screech "deficit!", people will ask about their massive unfunded giveaway.
  • Options
    *claps*

Are you thinking of this sort of rabbit? rabbitsforsaleinarkansas.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/612.jpg?w=640

Flemish Giants are definitely the Devil's Work when it comes to metric/Imperial eff-ups.

Speedy said:

It shouldn't be overshadowed by any defection now. Those stories have already become a bit stale.
    It'd have to be somebody very big to overshadow the massive rabbits pulled out of the hat today.

Cameron rightly judged he needed something big enough to dominate the news agenda no matter what. This is it.

I can't call the return to the imperial system a massive rabbit.
    That depends on whether or not you get confused over which system of units you use to measure the rabbit.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    From my old mate Gloria de Piero

"Tim,

If David Cameron's conference speech this morning made you as angry as it made me..."

Why would it make her angry ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    The Euro is weakening at an alarming rate. 0.7778 vs GBP and 1.25 vs USD. The sustained downward pressure on the currency seems unnatural. Europe is messy, but not this messy. Feels like an over correction or something worse.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

Any takers for John Baron?
    Hmmm, he'd be pretty well top of my list too.

Or Tebbit??
  • Options
    The ultimate Beer Goggles horror experience.

Faisal Islam's tweet screws up the line by quoting it wrongly: "on 7th May you could go to bed with Nigel Farage, and wake up with Ed Miliband."

Doesn't sound like that'd be a pleasant experience either way, does it?
    Yeah, I'm not sure if the evening or the morning would be the more horrible.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

This isn't just any random speech though, it was today's speech, so clearly the focus is still going to be on clearing the deficit by 2018.
  • Options
    Will UKIP be having a Spring conference?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Has to be bigger than the morning one.

Ed Milliband has forced Ed Balls to join UKIP?
    OGH and TSE to join UKIP?

:)
  • Options
    That's a very valid and interesting point. When you're trusted enough to simply state it and the public expect your maths to add up - it is a very different kettle of fish.
    chestnut said:

The fact that the Tories can make this pledge and people will accept that it will happen without any detailed explanation of how, tells you how wide the gulf in economic credibility is between Tory and Labour.

• Options

Does a Spring conference have a bigger bounce? :-)

I'll get me coat....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014

No, they'll be having a Whitsun conference.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Nadine Dorries I believe will be on Skynews at 5pm.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Oh stop it.

*runs to shop for extra butterkist*
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Is she in the jungle again this year ?

• Options

That be end of May, I believe.
  • Options

I seem to remember them saying it would be in Margate (surprise surprise) and will kick off their election campaign
  • Options
    I know nothing of course but I still believe this 5 pm stuff is just a wind up.

I also believe they have probably overplayed it if that is the case.
  • Options
    Brave....

General Election 2010: Mid Bedfordshire[6]
    Party Candidate Votes % ±%
    Conservative Nadine Dorries 28,815 52.5 +5.9
    Liberal Democrat Linda Jack 13,663 24.9 +1.4
    Labour David Reeves 8,108 14.8 -7.7
    UKIP Bill Hall 2,826 5.1 +2.4
    Green Malcolm Bailey 773 1.4 -1.2
    English Democrats John Cooper 712 1.3 N/A
  • Options
    philiph said:

That be end of May, I believe.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Hugh

Indeed. We have certainly entered the twilight zone today.

Plato

Do you have a single shred of evidence that the public believes the tax cut pledge?
  • Options

Is Nadine the sort of nutter that will fit in ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,845
    Hugh said:

*gets popcorn in*
    Scotland votes yes
    Cameron Resigns

Third time lucky eh?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    hucks67 said:

Nad leaving, would be a Tory gain.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

Oh stop it.

*runs to shop for extra butterkist*
    After years of frustration, she is going to run off with Nigel.
  • Options
    OT.

If as it appears Moazzam Begg is an entirely innocent man then I hope that there will be some heads rolling in both the police and the CPS. To have dropped charges after only 5 minutes in court today after all they have put him through is bloody despicable.

It is no wonder sometimes that muslims in the UK feel persecuted.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yup.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Surely a defection would be at a press conference with Farage - not an interview on Sky News?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No idea. I find it very difficult to get past the media perception of politicians and know from the few I do know personally that what the media thinks is generally a very long way from reality.

That said I still have no idea if this is just a big UKIP bluff. Just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surely a defection would be at a press conference with Farage - not an interview on Sky News?

Not even Nige is stupid enough to be seen with Nad..
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

hucks67 said:

I'm reminded of the old joke that her defecting would raise the average IQ of both parties.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    O/T (ish). I haven't been a particular fan of Pritti Patel but I thought she acquitted herself extremely well aginst Andrew Neil in a pre Cameron speech interview.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Interesting to speculate on what the reaction to her would be if she defected (I think she is more likely on to comment).

Another publicity seeking egotistical (so far this applicable to most politicians) awkward disloyal and marginal person for whom there is no popular adoration. Would she be a gain to the party that she defected to or a millstone round the neck of that party?

I'm beginning to see how this could play into the feeling the the Tory party is more centre and less Right Wing, always been sceptical about that before, but loosing dinosaurs isn't all bad.

Earlier this week I believe she said no way for her to move to UKIP, but like in so many other things, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TGOHF said:

hucks67 said:

Is she in the jungle again this year ?

She barely had time to get her sunblock dirty last time didn't she?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Blind as a bat.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

To pinch Matthew Parrish's aphorism, 'it would raise the average IQ of both parties'......

• Options
    I'm guessing its a lot of the Black Mamma stereotyping - TBH, it's no different to Gone With The Wind or dozens of other things. I wouldn't cut them or ban TinTin in the Congo or whatever it's called.

Or The Water Babies and all the other stuff. It's cultural bowderlisation and I hate it. Learn to see it for what it is. Never neuter it - or change a blinking dog's name cos someone with no sense wants to get offended.

Mr. Slackbladder, hmm. I honestly can't recall (and I saw a fair number of them as a child) anything that would seem racist to me. On the other hand, if Mr. Stereotomy's right then the relevant bits may have been cut. Perhaps I was wrong about this.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    Afternoon all :)

I've not heard the Prime Minister's speech in full - I've only seen the main headlines. A few thoughts:

Clearly, Osborne and Cameron have some kind of understanding - the Chancellor's low-key speech on Monday and now today's move on tax from the PM suggests to me that Osborne will be the "chosen" successor if Cameron wins a majority next year and retires toward the end of his second term. If Cameron loses, Osborne must realise his chances of being the leader in a field including Boris Johnson aren't great.

I'm curious that after lambasting Labour over the deficit, the Prime Minister has today announced a policy which will, according to the IFS, cost the Treasury some £7.2 billion in tax revenue by 2020. This isn't in the cosmic scheme of things that much but at a time of stringency shouldn't the priority be to maximise income as well as reduce expenditure ?

I remember arguing for the threshold to be moved to £45k on here earlier in the year only to be told that "it wouldn't affect that many people" - apparently 30 million (though presumably that's mostly through the Liberal Democrat policy of raising the personal allowance). As those who've been sceptical about this policy have opined, it's about the NI payments as much as it's about the tax and I heard no mention of those either today.

In addition, how can the Conservatives be serious about tackling the public finances if they continue to ring-fence large areas ? At some point, NHS expenditure is going to have to be tackled - the problem is it's an area of exponentially-rising demand and higher than CPI cost rises.

On a personal level, I obviously wouldn't vote Conservative (there's as much point doing that in East Ham as there is voting Liberal Democrat) but I find this whole "vote Tory for jam tomorrow" irritating. Raising the tax threshold isn't going to get back the money I've lost in the past five years but I'm also appalled that vote-winning largesse is undermining the core reason for the past five years of stringency - bringing the debt down and eliminating the deficit (remember 2010).

As to a UKIP "defection" at 5pm, I'm agog with indifference.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

To pinch Matthew Parrish's aphorism, 'it would raise the average IQ of both parties'......

How so?
  • Options

hucks67 said:

We have to stop spending so much time together.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Not even Nige is stupid enough to be seen with Nad..
    Nadines last tweet was to post a blog from Carswell. The one before that seemed to indicate that she would be making a decision after Camerons speech.

Nigel would probably accept a defection because it is after Camerons speech.
  • Options
    Stodge

Antifrank will tell you that splurging on a tax cut does not mean the focus has moved away from the deficit.

I will tell you that you are right and he is wildly wrong.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

How so?
    It was originally said of someone defecting from the Tories to Labour - and of course is completely unfair, but the idea is that the defector is dumber than average of the party they are leaving, and brighter than average of the party they are joining - hence the swap raises the average IQ of both.....
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,896
    So the UKIP press conference is shortly to get underway in Bristol. Liam Fox's turf.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2014
    philiph said:

hucks67 said:

Interesting to speculate on what the reaction to her would be if she defected (I think she is more likely on to comment).

Another publicity seeking egotistical (so far this applicable to most politicians) awkward disloyal and marginal person for whom there is no popular adoration. Would she be a gain to the party that she defected to or a millstone round the neck of that party?

I'm beginning to see how this could play into the feeling the the Tory party is more centre and less Right Wing, always been sceptical about that before, but loosing dinosaurs isn't all bad.

Earlier this week I believe she said no way for her to move to UKIP, but like in so many other things, I could be wrong.
    Didn't she make some "no more roast dinners from me" comment about a previously mooted defector, who I believe was stepping out with Nads daughter? [he hasn't defected, not sure whether it was due to the roast dinner threat]

EDIT: Here you go http://skynews.skypressoffice.co.uk/newstranscripts/murnaghan-280914-interview-nadine-dorries-mp-conservative
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Hugh said:

And every time the Tories do screech "deficit!", people will ask about their massive unfunded giveaway.
    How can you talk about a 'massive unfunded giveaway' when in reality the facts show that the cuts, the govt spending tatgets, are 10 billion ahead of the plans published in 2010. Socialists, thickos and nutjobs continually refuse to face the facts to keep their fantasy world of stupidity and bigotry real.
  • Options
    Another clue from earlier

UKIP People ‏@UKIPpeople 7 hrs7 hours ago

@NadineDorriesMP Nadine Dorries is a rarity. She is a honest politician. This lady if I remember correctly does not claim expenses.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

@NadineDorriesMP Nadine Dorries is a rarity. She is a honest politician. This lady if I remember correctly does not claim expenses.

This is presumably a spoof account given her actual expenses record.

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    40% tax affects the wealthy few, yet the Tories reckon it's a game changer. Odd. Much better spending the money increasing personal allowance to £15k and help all.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Anorak said:

philiph said:

hucks67 said:

Didn't she make some "no more roast dinners from me" comment about a previous defector, who I believe was stepping out with Nads daughter?

EDIT: Here you go http://skynews.skypressoffice.co.uk/newstranscripts/murnaghan-280914-interview-nadine-dorries-mp-conservative
    I think you may have an accurate recollection of the information as posted on PB.

So maybe she did, or maybe she didn't.

Edit And on Sky, so maybe PB was accurate!
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

40% tax affects the wealthy few, yet the Tories reckon it's a game changer. Odd. Much better spending the money increasing personal allowance to £15k and help all.

And help all except those earning under £12,500 you mean.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2014
    Just catching up with the day's events I heard part of Dave's speech between meetings and he sounded back to his best. Meanwhile you all probably know that the earlier defecting donor has a colourful background with Handy-Cock and some £££ fact checking required.
    http://order-order.com/2014/10/01/ukip-banks-on-mystery-donation-figure-and-dont-mention-his-mrs-and-mike-hancock/
    The next defector has to be a Tebbit level of defector to have impact. 5pm?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

TGOHF said:

No idea. I find it very difficult to get past the media perception of politicians and know from the few I do know personally that what the media thinks is generally a very long way from reality.

That said I still have no idea if this is just a big UKIP bluff. Just have to wait and see.
    The anecdotal comments from an associate who has dealt with her, were, how can I put it, not complimentary.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Chris_A said:

Unless it helps those on under 12500 by encouraging and enthusing them to find ways means and jobs to do better.

It is not a binary situation.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

Hugh said:

How can you talk about a 'massive unfunded giveaway' when in reality the facts show that the cuts, the govt spending tatgets, are 10 billion ahead of the plans published in 2010. Socialists, thickos and nutjobs continually refuse to face the facts to keep their fantasy world of stupidity and bigotry real.
    How about because Osborne missed his deficit targets and is on target to increase the Public debt by around £600 billion over this government. If constantly returning to the Money tree is not 'unfunded' what is?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Chris_A said:

You could always tax credit them...

Oh, yeah...

• Options
    Nadine and expenses? Not a happy marriage.
    hucks67 said:

• Options

Hugh said:

How about because Osborne missed his deficit targets and is on target to increase the Public debt by around £600 billion over this government. If constantly returning to the Money tree is not 'unfunded' what is?
    Was there ever a plan that didn't see total borrowing increase over this term?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    hucks67 said:

There is certainly no indication of any impending defection on her twitter account where she has been remarkably positive about the conference. Sure it's not someone else?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MaxPB said:

The Euro is weakening at an alarming rate. 0.7778 vs GBP and 1.25 vs USD. The sustained downward pressure on the currency seems unnatural. Europe is messy, but not this messy. Feels like an over correction or something worse.

When are they releasing the stress tests on European banks?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Chris_A said:

40% tax affects the wealthy few,

5 million is a "few".

The things you learn on here.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Nadine and expenses? Not a happy marriage.

hucks67 said:

She claimed £3k in travel expenses which IPSA said she should not have done so. So she repaid it and said that she would stop claiming any expenses.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Neil said:

Chris_A said:

Unless it helps those on under 12500 by encouraging and enthusing them to find ways means and jobs to do better.

"So what made you apply for the job of CEO?"

"Well, nasty Osborne froze my tax credits so I was left with little choice."

• Options
    Ashcroft happy:

There is much more to do to for the Tories to ensure the message is heard and assure people that they mean it. But for now, the PM has done a good day’s work.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/10/good-days-work-pm-218-go/
  • Options
    philiph said:

Hugh said:

Was there ever a plan that didn't see total borrowing increase over this term?
    Ask David Cameron and Nick Clegg. They were always claiming that this Government was 'paying down the debt'. Where did that come from?
  • Options
    Neil said:

philiph said:

Neil said:

Chris_A said:

Worker bees are happy bees!!!

• Options
    4 minutes to go...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2014
    UKIP go back to the squireocracy with their press stunt at 5pm. House of the mini donor.

twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/517338908213137408/photo/1

Is the East European marriage lady serving tea & biscuits?
    Maybe Handy-cock has joined UKIP? (just to cheer up Mark Senior and OGH)
  • Options

Ashcroft happy:

There is much more to do to for the Tories to ensure the message is heard and assure people that they mean it. But for now, the PM has done a good day’s work.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/10/good-days-work-pm-218-go/

So we can cross Ashcroft off the list of potential defectors then (for now that is)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    edited October 2014
    If my maths is correct Cameron's new tax break for those paying higher rate tax will be worth about £15 a week for someone earning £47000 a year? A pity for the Scots Nats that he didn't make this speech before the referendum. It would have given arguments about the 'bedroom tax' some legs.

I sense everyone is waiting by their computers for "Farage At Five'. I hope for all your sakes its not just another of Guido's honey traps
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    In May you could go to bed with Nigel Farage and end up with Ed Miliband

So lazy. And unoriginal.
  • Options
    Laurence Robertson ? From that neck of the woods..
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Oops. Banksy mural in Clacton removed as 'racist'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232
  • Options
    Neil said:

philiph said:

Neil said:

Chris_A said:

No, he made it a bit more worthwhile to work rather than not work.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Sky 5pm leads with Cameron - no mention of UKIP
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Grant Shapps (100/1) to stay in the Tories, Michael Green to defect to UKIP?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

OT.

If as it appears Moazzam Begg is an entirely innocent man then I hope that there will be some heads rolling in both the police and the CPS. To have dropped charges after only 5 minutes in court today after all they have put him through is bloody despicable.

It is no wonder sometimes that muslims in the UK feel persecuted.

And of course these are the people who we are supposed to trust in regards to things like control orders - or whatever they are called these days - when they don't even have to present evidence to a jury.
  • Options
    This is the biggest disappointment I have experienced since the so-called liberalising of pub opening hours.
This discussion has been closed.