Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This just about sums up the day – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2022 in General
This just about sums up the day – politicalbetting.com

Absolutely incredible opening to itv news tonight pic.twitter.com/Hp5PDzmsfG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    numero uno
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    In the name of God, go.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    RobD said:

In the name of God, go.

Leave Him out of it, in the name of us, go.

(But I'll give them two months to prepare the ground).
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    The Home Secretary lasted 43 days in office.

David Blaine was in the box for 44 days.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1582756472693268481/photo/1
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    RobD said:

In the name of God, go.

Truss and the whole stinking edifice.
    Encouraging for Rishi layers. He is fundamentally a weak technocrat from a shit school and worse university, and trying to stem this tide, he will look like a little Dutch schoolboy sticking his finger in a, hur hur, dike.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    No words.
    I can't even take pleasure in Schadenfreude. If this had been a Labour government, Christ alone knows.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ishmael_Z said:

Encouraging for Rishi layers. He is fundamentally a weak technocrat from a shit school and worse university, and trying to stem this tide, he will look like a little Dutch schoolboy sticking his finger in a, hur hur, dike.

He will be ever haunted by the knowledge that he had one shot - in December 2021 but instead he completely fucked the opportunity and chickened out.
    What is Truss fighting on for at the moment? Yes, a peverse sort of pride to try to avoid being the shortest serving PM ever, though frankly that is looking a very very tall order right now, but no one is so confident they could not accept they are done in her situation.

So what is keeping her going day in day out? What faction is she trying to help, if any? Is it, in fact, helping, but making MPs realise they need to coalesce around a Sunak/Mordaunt Cabinet of all talents, or are they just breaking down?

She is, despite everything, not entirely powerless, she must be trying to achieve something, even if her own political survival (for more than a brief period) is now beyond her, or anyone.
  • What have the whips been bought off with?
    Elizabeth Truss, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, in Week Six (6) of her Premiership, oil painting on canvass, 2022

https://twitter.com/Luiseach/status/1582805204604309504/photo/1

Scott_xP said:

They could have settled their differences with a wet QE2 tea towel arse spanking contest.
    One would love it.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

They could have settled their differences with a wet QE2 tea towel arse spanking contest.
    One would love it.
    A vote at 7pm isn’t a late night vote.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Truss cabinet didn't start out well but it's getting better.
    Tories just can't accept they aren't the right people to be governing right now.
    Patriotic my arse.
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

He will be ever haunted by the knowledge that he had one shot - in December 2021 but instead he completely fucked the opportunity and chickened out.
    I think you said on last thread you had laid him? So, yes, I agree, but we are both whistling in the dark.

I think Bojo would have seen him off in dec 2021.
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

One would love it.
    A vote at 7pm isn’t a late night vote.
    Rule of drama. If it is dark outside it counts as a late night vote. If a backbencher comments on something they are a senior backbencher. If someone loses a tennis match they 'crash out' of a tournament.
  • Scott_xP said:
    I am utterly ashamed at the conservative party and it deserves to be out of office for many years

The only positive is that this may see the one nation conservatives regain control and let the ERG (and @HYUFD ) join the obnoxious Farage
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    Tom Bradby summarised very well. BBC News was also a surprising evisceration. But then you can't really be equivocal about this. It is the worst shambles in Gov't during my lifetime by a country mile.

I think we need a General Election but how we get there I've no idea.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Heathener said:

Tom Bradby summarised very well. BBC News was also a surprising evisceration. But then you can't really be equivocal about this. It is the worst shambles in Gov't during my lifetime by a country mile.

Democracy in action is fun.

It didn't seem that terrible, many of them were too inexperienced to have developed reptuations for awfulness. JRM and Braverman were about the most disquieting for those not on the right, and since he's been relatively quiet he's actually enhanced his reputation.

That's how bad things have been, Jacob Rees-Mogg has been ok.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    Scott_xP said:
    And 4 weeks ago:

• Foxy said:

Some important stuff happened today.

Inflation hit heights not seen in decades

Russia retreats from Kherson taking masses of hostages

Yet another obstetric scandal in the NHS.

Yet the Trussterfuck pushes them all off the front pages.

Midterms seem to be moving back towards the Republicans. Got a shot at taking both houses now.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    She won’t go now. If they can’t get rid of her after this it’s never happening.
    Guys I am fucking dying, please send help https://twitter.com/abradacabla/status/1582818419224682496/photo/1
    Heathener said:

The worst is not
    So long as we can say, "This is the worst."

But actually, it surely can't get madder than this.
    DJ41 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And 4 weeks ago:

"stunned MPs and financial markets"

You don't fucking say.
    DJ41 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And 4 weeks ago:

Fing disaster.
    Can't get more true Tory than that.
    kle4 said:

What is Truss fighting on for at the moment? Yes, a peverse sort of pride to try to avoid being the shortest serving PM ever, though frankly that is looking a very very tall order right now, but no one is so confident they could not accept they are done in her situation.

So what is keeping her going day in day out? What faction is she trying to help, if any? Is it, in fact, helping, but making MPs realise they need to coalesce around a Sunak/Mordaunt Cabinet of all talents, or are they just breaking down?

She is, despite everything, not entirely powerless, she must be trying to achieve something, even if her own political survival (for more than a brief period) is now beyond her, or anyone.

She has another 76 days to go to overtake George Canning.

Foxy said:

Some important stuff happened today.

Inflation hit heights not seen in decades

Russia retreats from Kherson taking masses of hostages

Yet another obstetric scandal in the NHS.

Yet the Trussterfuck pushes them all off the front pages.

Midterms seem to be moving back towards the Republicans. Got a shot at taking both houses now.
    Boo.

Regular service perhaps, but disappointing.
    Lord Frost calls on Liz to quit.
    That strengthens.her.
    ConHome editor @PaulGoodmanCH just described Liz Truss as a one-woman coalition of chaos @BBCNewsnight
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

dixiedean said:

That strengthens.her.

Although she might listen to him since he's been her main cheerleader.
    dixiedean said:

That strengthens.her.

He's only saying it because she didn't give him a job.
  • Heathener said:

I agree and as I have said I am ashamed of the conservative party and even I would vote Starmer in tomorrow if it was on offer

Truss has to go and Sunak/Mordaunt to take over with Hunt as COE to start the long process of even looking a creditable opposition let alone a government
    Are there 40 Tory MPs prepared to put the national interest first and vote no confidence in a government that deserves no one’s confidence?
  • kle4 said:

It didn't seem that terrible, many of them were too inexperienced to have developed reptuations for awfulness. JRM and Braverman were about the most disquieting for those not on the right, and since he's been relatively quiet he's actually enhanced his reputation.

That's how bad things have been, Jacob Rees-Mogg has been ok.
    Er, wasn't he the guy who got the ball rolling re: fracking, by saying that community consent = whatever the frackers said it was?

Seemed to get a bunch of blue-tie wearers bit hot under their non-Eton collars.
    A side note, but... Remainers now dominate the most senior positions in government.

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

[6 of the 7 most senior cabinet positions]
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited October 2022
    DJ41 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And 4 weeks ago:

Back in those good-old days, you got a valuable (?) coin collection for subscribing to DM.

Now all you get with the rag is another rag.
    The absolute stunning fact about all this is these fuckers have a 70-odd seat majority!!!

At least in the chaotic dying days of Callaghan with ambulances pulling up outside the Commons they had the excuse of minority government.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited October 2022

DJ41 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And 4 weeks ago:

Back in those good-old days, you got a valuable (?) coin collection for subscribing to DM.

Now all you get with the rag is another rag.
    Er, the advert on the side?

Edit, humor fail. Good old days = two weeks ago :D
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

Are there 40 Tory MPs prepared to put the national interest first and vote no confidence in a government that deserves no one’s confidence?

They need to get rid of Truss and stabilise things and look at a GE in April/ May. A GE campaign as we enter the winter energy crisis and the brink in Ukraine would be dreadful for the country.

The absolute stunning fact about all this is these fuckers have a 70-odd seat majority!!!

At least in the chaotic dying days of Callaghan with ambulances pulling up outside the Commons they had the excuse of minority government.

And they've never really used their huge majority to much effect either, which is weird. They often acted like they had a smal majority, jumping scared at every whiff of unpopularity, and the NI change last year felt like a rare example where they pushed something through.
    Jonathan said:

Dunno. That's a tough one. I may have think for like a nanosecond before answering.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Is Starmer gutted that his well-prepared, gone-gone-gone routine at PMQs has been overshadowed?
    Scott_xP said:

A side note, but... Remainers now dominate the most senior positions in government.

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

And yet the members think Truss is a lunatic ideologue and a total incompetent, ie one of them.

She's an absolute genius. Just need to get rid of Cleverly somehow.
    edited October 2022
    Watching Shapps make a brief statement I'd like to nominate the expression "I think the most important thing" and derivatives as one of the most silly in politics, given its general use as to mean "Please focus on what I'd like, not that other massive thing everyone is talking about"
    On Walker clip:

Rt Hon Johnny Mercer
    @JohnnyMercerUK
    ·
    1h
    Fuck me, he’s nailed it. Every word.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kle4 said:

Maybe she is just too dim to see beyond the immediate conflict.
  • The absolute stunning fact about all this is these fuckers have a 70-odd seat majority!!!

They even won tonight's vote with a majority of 96

I have never experienced anything in politics like this and I have no idea how it ends, but It is certain Truss will be forever remembered as the worst PM of our time and the one who destroyed the conservative party
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

They would be utterly insane. They have two and a half years and something may turn up. A defeat of Putin would be a handy aside.

What about a Government of National Unity. Lefty Remain Tories, Lord Frost, Farage, Tice and the DUP. Sorted!
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    RobD said:

In the name of God, go.

Is that the PM or the filth that is Tory party or both?
    Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    45m
    To avoid becoming the shortest serving Prime Minister in history Liz Truss must last another 76 days.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Scott_xP said:

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

I think the point here is that what the UK needs at the moment is dull technocracy (stability, don't rock the boat, fiscal conservatism), and it's no surprise that dull technocrats also lean remain.

That doesn't make the decision to leave less right (or less wrong) as it's primarily a question of sovereignty, rather than the economy.

Jonathan said:

They need to get rid of Truss and stabilise things and look at a GE in April/ May. A GE campaign as we enter the winter energy crisis and the brink in Ukraine would be dreadful for the country.
    This administration is dreadful for country. We need a functioning government. The Tories are simply unable to provide it. Sunak is not a unity candidate.
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

In the name of God, go.

Is that the PM or the filth that is Tory party or both?
    They are indeed two parts of the Trinity, but you left out the Holy Spirit.

I have never experienced anything in politics like this and I have no idea how it ends, but It is certain Truss will be forever remembered as the worst PM of our time and the one who destroyed the conservative party
    Mission accomplished.

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Jonathan said:

They would be utterly insane. They have two and a half years and something may turn up. A defeat of Putin would be a handy aside.

What about a Government of National Unity. Lefty Remain Tories, Lord Frost, Farage, Tice and the DUP. Sorted!
    Mentioning GNU's should be the PB equivalent of "Godwin's Law"
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This administration is dreadful for country. We need a functioning government. The Tories are simply unable to provide it. Sunak is not a unity candidate.
    There isn't one. They are split on policy, so even if there was, they wouldn't remain a unity candidate for long once decisions needed to be made.

Wallace seemed to be the closest they had (liked by members, not obviously bonkers, didn't stand last time), but won't go for the job.
    Why did @Peston think that having the script line ‘Jeremy Hunt’s cuts’ would end well?
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Truss as PM for the 5 weeks of a GE campaign as the lights go off? No thank you.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458

The brilliance of Liz Truss's very left wing father rearing a one person depth charge primed to destroy the Conservative party for a generation just shows how good Leeds university is.

I cam vouch for that.
    (N_Al, BA Hons., University of Leeds, some time ago).
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    Still, mild weather predicted for later this week. And I've just ordered a rice cooker.

So not all doom and gloom.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He or Maudaunt are the only ones who could stable things as I cannot see a GE for at least 2 years
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,244

I agree. But it's quite something when Shapps is 'better'.

On Walker clip:

Rt Hon Johnny Mercer
    @JohnnyMercerUK
    ·
    1h

Mercer is a posturing fraud of the worst possible kind. London Capital and Finance, and windbaggery about how Our Brave Boys should be exempt from the laws which say that murder is definitely, you know, wrong. Arsewipe.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263
    edited October 2022

Is Starmer gutted that his well-prepared, gone-gone-gone routine at PMQs has been overshadowed?

I doubt it. His out by Christmas joke still got an airing on News at Ten.

Every day this chaos goes on the more it fixes in the minds of large swathes of the voting public that the Tories are unelectable.
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

I think the point here is that what the UK needs at the moment is dull technocracy (stability, don't rock the boat, fiscal conservatism), and it's no surprise that dull technocrats also lean remain.

That doesn't make the decision to leave less right (or less wrong) as it's primarily a question of sovereignty, rather than the economy.
    Even I'm bored of pointing this out, but British politics broke when Brexit lies were presented by almost all of the British media as an equal & opposite counterpoint to reality, gravity, evidence & expertise. None of it can be fixed until the idiocy of Brexit is acknowledged.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1582835775422763008
    I'm bored of pointing out that that is nothing more than a whinge that the public are dumb, since even it admits the alternative arguments and evidence were presented, dressed up as more meaningful analysis and seeking to cast blame on nebulous 'media' rather than seeming to blame the voters.

People like me voted leave, and I believe I made a mistake, but that's on me, not the media.
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He or Maudaunt are the only ones who could stable things as I cannot see a GE for at least 2 years
    It’s impossible, because Tory MPs will vote for their personal interest. But if they voted in the national interest, they would support a general election. This is now more than Truss.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    Could anyone play a Louis Mountbatten role?

Or we might get a John Kerr play.

I have never experienced anything in politics like this and I have no idea how it ends [...]
    Worth thinking how it might.

Something to do with war.
    Something to do with the king.
    Something to do with technocrats.
    Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

Even I'm bored of pointing this out, but British politics broke when Brexit lies were presented by almost all of the British media as an equal & opposite counterpoint to reality, gravity, evidence & expertise. None of it can be fixed until the idiocy of Brexit is acknowledged.

JOBber qualifies for the KGM treatment
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Scott_xP said:

Why did @Peston think that having the script line ‘Jeremy Hunt’s cuts’ would end well?

Advertising Jeremy's huts, huh?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263
    ohnotnow said:

Still, mild weather predicted for later this week. And I've just ordered a rice cooker.

So not all doom and gloom.

Good performance by Man U tonight too!
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The British have had a functioning government for decades and it hasn't done them any good. Generally non-functioning governments do less damage.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

On Walker clip:

Rt Hon Johnny Mercer
    @JohnnyMercerUK
    ·
    1h

Mercer is a posturing fraud of the worst possible kind. London Capital and
    Finance, and windbaggery about how
    Our Brave Boys should be exempt from the laws which say that murder is definitely, you know, wrong. Arsewipe.
    This

Foul fucking mouthed as well
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Jonathan said:

I suspect Graham Brady has more than 40 MPS making their position clear but

a) he is waiting to see if Truss falls on her sword and/or
    b) he is setting a higher bar so as to make it a fait accompli if he knocks on the No.10 door
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    Been out at Tate Liverpool this evening, looking at shit modern art.
    I heard Braverman resigned just before I left work.

Quiet night except for that I assume?
    Boris was given a nice long send off so he could move past May's tenure. Perhaps Truss is holding on just to negotiate that she gets such a send off to go past Canning?

Not able to see that if there's a contest it won't take more than a week, as MPs sit on losing candidates to get them to withdraw.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It’s impossible, because Tory MPs will vote for their personal interest. But if they voted in the national interest, they would support a general election. This is now more than Truss.
    It is but no party in this situation with an 80 seat majority would call an election

Truss will go and the mps will make sure if it goes to the membership it will be between acceptable candidates and that is Sunak or Mordaunt
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 775
    kle4 said:

I think she's trying to outlast the lettuce. Genuinely. The Star should just replace it with a mouldy, mushy lettuce and let her resign knowing that, at least, her premiership outlasted the lettuce. Then this part of the nightmare is over, at least.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The British have had a functioning government for decades and it hasn't done them any good. Generally non-functioning governments do less damage.
    Mortgage payers might disagree.
    Boris Johnson's fault. Blew up his own premiership in successive acts of epic idiocy, then he insisted in a huff Sunak had to be stopped, and all his friends insisted it must be so, and the result was Liz Truss in Number 10. Well done everyone involved.
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1582852635467468800
    Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

PM - Remain
    Deputy PM - Remain
    Chancellor - Remain
    Home Sec - Remain
    Foreign Sec - Leave
    Defence Sec - Remain
    Justice Sec - Remain

That is complete shit. I felt and voted Remain*, but in the 6 week run up to the vote I was nearly pushed the other way by the endless stream of patronizing pro-Remain lies pumped out by the BBC.

* actually I asked my 17 y.o. son which way he wanted to vote, and voted remain on his instruction. But I would have done anyway if it was my decision.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    edited October 2022
    Yokes said:

Jonathan said:

b) he is setting a higher bar so as to make it a fait accompli if he knocks on the No.10 door
    Brady and the '22 are not fit for purpose. This mess is on them.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Jonathan said:

Mentioning GNU's should be the PB equivalent of "Godwin's Law"
    Don't you like my lineup?
    Yokes said:

Jonathan said:

Having dinner by looks of the tv clips this evening. Some fancy function or other.

Whilst the country waits to have an actual fucking government.

• Scott_xP said:

He did it deliberately

He’s a Hut
    Surely the editorial stylebooks would sanction use of “goat rodeo” at this point https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1582823352909332482
This discussion has been closed.