Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s looking better for the Dems ahead of the Nov 8 Midterms – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• According to website I just checked, Seattle's air quality is today one of the worst in the world, on par with Lahore, Pakistan, both measuring 161 on American AQI (air quality index?).

Monitor nearest to yours truly's humble abode = 178 which is worst score in north Seattle.

AND air temperture outside is 88F, while thermometer on my porch (in sun) is reading 93F.

But it is NOT sunny, rather hazy. And smells like an old ashtray when you step outside.

Fortunately forecast for tomorrow calls for lower temps AND shift in winds that will blow the smoke out rather into western Washington.
  • Regarding Truss going on tour with Charles, I feel like he probably wants an opportunity to lay down the law and fill her head with envirobollocks. To which her response will be firm and frank hopefully.

As the two people very recently appointed to the most important jobs in the country, they are both probably benefiting from each other’s support.
    Yes, I am probably being way too cynical.
  • Leon said:

PB knew about the Necklace 6 weeks before the rest of the world and it is ENTIRELY because of me being a genius and incredibly perverse and you should all give me money

Why didn't the Knappers Gazette pay you for an article about it?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

@wartranslated
    Ramzan Kadyrov in his late night audio address on Telegram says that “10,000 will enter soon and we will reach Odesa”, while struggling to pronounce “Balakliia”, calling it and other Kharkiv settlements “interesting places”.

Says he will be speaking to “Ministry of Defeat if they do not make conclusions soon”.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1568724999447670784

That's interesting on the pronunciation.

One of the channels I watch for the short 10 minute updates is Denys Davydov - a (currently grounded for obvious reasons) Ukrainian Civil Pilot. He does his updates from the Live Map, and Russian and Western news channels, and remarks that he is used to reading cyrillic, and struggles with pronunciation of some Ukrainian places when they are written in a Western alphabet.
  • MattW said:

@wartranslated
    Ramzan Kadyrov in his late night audio address on Telegram says that “10,000 will enter soon and we will reach Odesa”, while struggling to pronounce “Balakliia”, calling it and other Kharkiv settlements “interesting places”.

Says he will be speaking to “Ministry of Defeat if they do not make conclusions soon”.

That's interesting on the pronunciation.

One of the channels I watch for the short 10 minute updates is Denys Davydov - a (currently grounded for obvious reasons) Ukrainian Civil Pilot. He does his updates from the Live Map, and Russian and Western news channels, and remarks that he is used to reading cyrillic, and struggles with pronunciation of some Ukrainian places when they are written in a Western alphabet.
    Kadyrov isn't the most fluent speaker of Russian anyway. He constantly fills his sentences with random 'don' sounds.
    A little item that I have not seen mentioned.

The senior members of the Royal Family each have their team of personal staff (secretarial, but also admin, perhaps PR, driver, maybe chef, carers for animals, and so on).

The Queen Elizabeth team's jobs just stopped, because when King Charles takes over he brings in his own close / personal staff with him. They could be redundant, or will have an internal / external jobs change, or might retire - as these tend to be really long term staff it will be a shock. Princess Diana used to have at least one person just to look after the wardrobe and help her with her outfits.

Senior professional staff are sometimes hired from outside, so will be better placed.
  • So is the war over soon?
  • According to website I just checked, Seattle's air quality is today one of the worst in the world, on par with Lahore, Pakistan, both measuring 161 on American AQI (air quality index?).

Monitor nearest to yours truly's humble abode = 178 which is worst score in north Seattle.

AND air temperture outside is 88F, while thermometer on my porch (in sun) is reading 93F.

But it is NOT sunny, rather hazy. And smells like an old ashtray when you step outside.

Fortunately forecast for tomorrow calls for lower temps AND shift in winds that will blow the smoke out rather into western Washington.

Then you will be interested to hear...

Air pollution cancer breakthrough will rewrite the rules
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62797777

Regarding Truss going on tour with Charles, I feel like he probably wants an opportunity to lay down the law and fill her head with envirobollocks. To which her response will be firm and frank hopefully.

As the two people very recently appointed to the most important jobs in the country, they are both probably benefiting from each other’s support.
    I hope they don't go in the same aeroplane.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    5h
    It really does look as though the Russian army is being routed by Ukraine's forces. We could be about to find out how a nuclear power headed by an autocrat will respond to being defeated in a land invasion of its own choosing.

===

By falling out of a window?

Been out, so sorry if this has already been posted. Huge cache of heavy weaponry captured by the Ukrainians. I mean, staggering.

https://twitter.com/RuslanR17343536/status/1568684670505844736
    People now saying this old footage of a repair yard in Crimea. Sorry to be misleading.

• Tom Freeman
    @SnoozeInBrief
    Before this week, such a scene would have been impossible

So is the war over soon?

May depend what is going down in the Kremlin tonight.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

@wartranslated

He is very much Putin's man, Putin sends hi lots of money, and he keeps Chechenia Quiet.

if Putin goes, there is a good chance he will go as well. that's why there have been some Chechens fighting for the Ukrainians.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400

Tom Freeman
    @SnoozeInBrief

Given even the eldest is 79, and the average length of a premiership, that number could increase quite a bit in years to come.
    kle4 said:

And its gone. Good riddance.

Shortest yet?
    Please sir, can we have a better troll for the next one?
    *waves*

Been trying for years here.
    We said "better".....

It looks like it could be a long way towards being finished before the funeral for QEII.

May depend what is going down in the Kremlin tonight.
    The Beuluga Caviar may not be going down so well tonight.

The hot bit is.

We may see a frozen bit for a long time soon.

Or, Ukr may just keep pushing the Z feckers right to their border.

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I know Rasmussen Reports is a joke orginisation but I didn't realise how much of a joke these days.

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1568661441615642625?t=9-i-aGYhxm_CdFJe8q6pUg&s=19
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Is Truss really going to be accompanying Charles on his visits around the UK? This seems deeply unwise. He's above politics. She has plenty to be getting on with. I cannot remember the Queen doing anything like that with one of her Prime ministers.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So is the war over soon?

It looks like it could be a long way towards being finished before the funeral for QEII.
    There are some over excited reports of Ukrainian success in the East which arw notably lacking photos or videos.

The news about Lysychansk very suspiciously keeps having old video attached to it.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    5h
    It really does look as though the Russian army is being routed by Ukraine's forces. We could be about to find out how a nuclear power headed by an autocrat will respond to being defeated in a land invasion of its own choosing.

===

By falling out of a window?

Been out, so sorry if this has already been posted. Huge cache of heavy weaponry captured by the Ukrainians. I mean, staggering.

https://twitter.com/RuslanR17343536/status/1568684670505844736
    People now saying this old footage of a repair yard in Crimea. Sorry to be misleading.
    Really have to be careful. I don't believe things until they're on the BBC or CH4 news.

Is Truss really going to be accompanying Charles on his visits around the UK? This seems deeply unwise. He's above politics. She has plenty to be getting on with. I cannot remember the Queen doing anything like that with one of her Prime ministers.

The young QEII had support from people such as Lord Louis Mountbatten (her second cousin) for one, who crossed the worlds of politics and nobility - which were much more heavily linked back then. I don't know much detail though.
  • Alistair said:

So is the war over soon?

There are some over excited reports of Ukrainian success in the East which arw notably lacking photos or videos.

The news about Lysychansk very suspiciously keeps having old video attached to it.
    That's true, but I think the Russians might genuinely be in trouble around Donetsk City following the DNR leader scarpering.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

Regarding Truss going on tour with Charles, I feel like he probably wants an opportunity to lay down the law and fill her head with envirobollocks. To which her response will be firm and frank hopefully.

Maybe they'll come up with a joint plan to build scaled-up Poundburys all over the country.
    That, I'd quite like. I agree with him on most of his stuff on architecture - yes Poundbury is a little contrived, but most people would prefer to live there than most contemporaneous towns.
    Certainly that is borne out by house prices which are at a 40% premium compared to nearby towns.
  • Here's my take - as a lefty non-monarchist - on the Charles/desk thing. And this is what I was saying to my wif as we watched it real time.

Charles decided that the ceremony should be public. A brave and modernising decision. Th desk that was used is probably some traditional desk that has been used for this for the last half dozen such traditional ceremonies. BUT said ceremonies have required a flunky to bring each document individually for signature, not all of them to be on the desk simultaneously. And someone decided that no one else could be in camera shot. So all the documents had to be on the table together.

Charles arrives, with no chance of rehearsal, to do something which he wants to be exactly right, in the view of everybody. And it isn't. And he realises it won't be, particularly if he knocks something off the desk or the documents get messed up.

As a sometime actor, I'd be massively pissed off with my director, or stage manager, if a scene was fucked up that badly on stage, live, in front of an audience. And he had a right to be.

Next time, there should be a bigger desk. Or a rehearsal so that the documents could be brought in with some style.

But I don't think it was Charles who was in the wrong. It was just a screw up in the production.

Exactly. The ink stand was on the wrong side of the desk for those signing from the platform - but on the correct side of the desk for those signing from the floor. A props fault.
  • Here's my take - as a lefty non-monarchist - on the Charles/desk thing. And this is what I was saying to my wif as we watched it real time.

Charles decided that the ceremony should be public. A brave and modernising decision. Th desk that was used is probably some traditional desk that has been used for this for the last half dozen such traditional ceremonies. BUT said ceremonies have required a flunky to bring each document individually for signature, not all of them to be on the desk simultaneously. And someone decided that no one else could be in camera shot. So all the documents had to be on the table together.

Charles arrives, with no chance of rehearsal, to do something which he wants to be exactly right, in the view of everybody. And it isn't. And he realises it won't be, particularly if he knocks something off the desk or the documents get messed up.

As a sometime actor, I'd be massively pissed off with my director, or stage manager, if a scene was fucked up that badly on stage, live, in front of an audience. And he had a right to be.

Next time, there should be a bigger desk. Or a rehearsal so that the documents could be brought in with some style.

But I don't think it was Charles who was in the wrong. It was just a screw up in the production.

The clip doing the rounds on twitter is from the second set of documents that he signs. For the first set you see Charles awkwardly having to move all the inkpot paraphernalia out of the way so that he can add his signature. I thought the whole lot might have been sent tumbling at one point.

I didn't understand why they weren't moved to the appropriate side of the table for whoever was next due to sign something. It was ridiculous for the first set of documents and someone should have fixed it for the second.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Conservative Party of Canada to elect its new leader in the next hour.

Pierre Poilievre favourite

https://www.cbc.ca/
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400

Here's my take - as a lefty non-monarchist - on the Charles/desk thing. And this is what I was saying to my wif as we watched it real time.

Exactly. The ink stand was on the wrong side of the desk for those signing from the platform - but on the correct side of the desk for those signing from the floor. A props fault.
    I'm sure there will be further opportunities, but from the reaction of some you'd think inkwellgate was some epoch defining screwup.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited September 2022

Ageing monarch needs Truss.
  • Robert Wright
    @RKWinvisibleman
    It strikes me that by September 26 when Stop the War plans to hold its Labour conference fringe meeting on how to stop the war in Ukraine, the question may be considerably closer to being resolved. It's just that Stop the War might not like the answer.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    HYUFD said:

They lead in most of the recent opinion polls.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    kle4 said:

Tom Freeman
    @SnoozeInBrief

Given even the eldest is 79, and the average length of a premiership, that number could increase quite a bit in years to come.
    If the Tories keep on choosing duds, for sure.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Likewise, who else apart from the Queen achieved 20th century icon-hood?

Chaplin, Monroe, Beatles
    Churchill, Roosevelt, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Guevara, De Gaulle, Thatcher, Reagan, Picasso, Einstein, Diana?

Who else?

Clark Gable and Katherine Hepburn would surely have to be on the list too.

For later stars, James Dean, Sean Connery, Meryl Streep.
    James Dean, maybe.
    Not sure the others could be identified in a line-up as easily as you’d think.

Edit: I presume you mean Audrey Hepburn, if d agree with that.
    Madonna. Salvador Dali. Mother Theresa of Calcutta.
    Pele. Jagger. Michael Caine. Joan Collins.
    kle4 said:

@Keir_Starmer
    It was an honour and a privilege to speak with His Majesty King Charles III today.

I expressed my sincere condolences for his loss and pledged my support on his accession to the throne.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1568686435246686209

Anyone on finger watch?
    What’s the definitive on those fingers?
    I first noticed them as child, looking at photos from his wedding to Diana.

I think Andrew is similarly ensausaged.

Where do they come from?
    Is it the Glucksberg inheritance?

They are really odd.

It may account why he wanted someone else to move the inkwell. It would have been embarrassing to drop it.
    What's your diagnosis doc?

To me (non-medical) it looks like fluid retention? Given the rosacea we see in his face I wonder how much he drinks? To me he has the look of a heavy drinker (brandy? Port?)

Fluid retention, hypertension and possible periodic gout perhaps? I'm not sure his reign will be a long one...
    No, I think it is just localised to his hands. His plethora face looks normal for someone who has spent a lot of time in the sun. Gout is rarely more than 1 joint at a time, and exquisitely painful.

I think some arthritis is most likely.
    OK Doc I'll take your word for it!

If his hands and fingers are just naturally very enlarged all I'll say is that god has gifted him many "talents".. and he certainly doesn't have to worry about the tiny "appendages" The Donald supposedly has in light of his tiny hands and fingers lol... ;)
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Trump is probably right.
    Sad!

Trump is never right.
    Except in the sense of far right.
    He was right about the stupidity of relying on Russian gas and not spending enough on defence of Europe.

Congratulations to a number of politicians. You are more stupid than Donald Fucking Trump.
    Is it that one of the Mock Turtle's six impossible things before breakfast?
    It was the White Queen who had the ability to think of six impossible things before breakfast.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    edited September 2022
    Mark Hertling
    @MarkHertling
    ·
    8h
    Battlefield math…

UKR reports 52,000+ RUs killed in action. Putin’s solatia payments seem to confirm this #. That’s staggering.

For perspective, that’s the equivalent of 3 US combat divisions (think 82d Airborne, 101st Air Assault, 1st Armored). US has 11 active divisions.

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1568615093251850242
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

They lead in most of the recent opinion polls.
    Some not all though the next Canadian election not due until 2025. Plus in 2 out of the last 3 elections Trudeau's Liberals won most seats despite losing the popular vote
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_45th_Canadian_federal_election
    It must truly be a triumph of American engineering that some of the customers at this pizza takeout manage to get clothes.
    And they produce a pizza that is tasty, but doesn’t taste of any fresh ingredients like you’d get in Italy.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited September 2022

They became PM and King just two days apart so you can see why they would share an affinity...

But that said maybe Chas has noticed the "kinky" attire worn by Ms Truss (as has Sean @Leon ) who knows... ;)

• Anastasiia Lapatina
    @lapatina_
    ·
    6h
    You know things are going terribly for the Kremlin when their chief propagandist starts reminiscing about the good old times when songs were sang in both Ukrainian and Russian. That's after calling for our extermination for months.

https://twitter.com/lapatina_
    Swedish election later today. The governing coalition currently has a one seat majority.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    IshmaelZ said:
    He's always been a prissy gobshite and people don't change at age 73. Didn't somebody on here once tell a yarn about him doing his nut over the presentation of biscuits on a flight?
  • Interesting to see bien pensant twitter falling over its self tonight to announce the surprise that Ukr is monstering Putin's conscripts, convicts and drunks when some of us on PB have been predicting military disaster for several months.

• Alistair said:

So is the war over soon?

That's true, but I think the Russians might genuinely be in trouble around Donetsk City following the DNR leader scarpering.
    The ISW are updating their situation map more rapidly than those shown on their daily reports, and I've noticed at least two sets of changes since Saturday afternoon in the area north of Izium. The scale and pace of the advance there is remarkable, and judging from that it looks like a surrounded pocket at Izium will be created shortly.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2022

Alistair said:

So is the war over soon?

The ISW are updating their situation map more rapidly than those shown on their daily reports, and I've noticed at least two sets of changes since Saturday afternoon in the area north of Izium. The scale and pace of the advance there is remarkable, and judging from that it looks like a surrounded pocket at Izium will be created shortly.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375
    Izyum has already been liberated. The advance is too fast for the mappers to keep up.

I can't imagine the night will provide much relief to the Russians either.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:
    Camilla standing behind the spoilt idiot when he acts so offensively has the embarrassed stony-faced demeanour of Mike Pence.

• NYT - Ukrainian Offensive Seen as Reshaping the War’s Contours
    The fall of the strategically important city of Izium, in Ukraine’s east, is the most devastating blow to Russia since its humiliating retreat from Kyiv.

KYIV, Ukraine — A lightning Ukrainian offensive in the country’s northeast has reshaped what had become a grinding war of attrition. In a matter of days, Russian front lines have buckled, Moscow’s troops have fled and one village after another has come once more beneath Ukraine’s yellow and blue banner.

Ukrainian officials said on Saturday that their troops had taken the eastern city of Izium, a strategically important railway hub that Russian forces seized in the spring after a bloody, weekslong battle.

“Izium was liberated today,” the city’s mayor, Valeriy Marchenko, said in an interview.

Russia’s Ministry of Defense — which a day earlier had said it was moving to reinforce its defensive positions in the region — confirmed on Saturday that it had pulled its forces out of Izium to “regroup.” While the statement sought to portray the withdrawal as a pre-planned move, the military equipment left scattered about pointed to a hasty retreat to avoid encirclement.

While the 12,000 remaining residents of a prewar population of 40,000 celebrated Izium’s liberation from Russian control, their joy was tempered by the destruction wrought over the past six months.

“There’s no single residential building that wasn’t damaged,” Mr. Marchenko said. “Heating is the biggest problem. I doubt whether we would be able to restore the heating system before winter.”

Ukraine’s capture of Izium could represent a turning point in the war, dwarfed only by Russia’s humiliating defeat around the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, in the spring.

The successful Ukrainian offensive, which began this past week near Ukraine’s second-largest city, Kharkiv, serves as a testament to the endurance of Ukrainian troops and, once more, the shortcomings of the Russian war machine.

“Ukrainian forces didn’t stop after reaching the first town, but deliberately chose to bypass towns in order to advance deeper behind Russian lines,” said Rob Lee, a military analyst at the Foreign Policy Research Institute.

The success of the Ukrainian offensive in the north comes at a critical juncture. Besides lifting the country’s morale and short-circuiting Russian plans to annex occupied territory, it is arriving ahead of winter, when front lines are expected to freeze and a global energy crisis could strain the West’s support for Ukraine. . . .
  • Interesting how coverage of the Accession Council by allegedly Anglophobic New York Times is WAY more positive than coverage on PB.

Go figure!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Interesting how coverage of the Accession Council by allegedly Anglophobic New York Times is WAY more positive than coverage on PB.

Go figure!

I don't recall it being particularly negative on here. The NY Times coverage of the whole thing, however...
  • RobD said:

Interesting how coverage of the Accession Council by allegedly Anglophobic New York Times is WAY more positive than coverage on PB.

Go figure!

I don't recall it being particularly negative on here. The NY Times coverage of the whole thing, however...
    Have you not been paying attention to coverage of "inkwell-gate" here on PB?

As for NYT, not sure what you mean by "whole thing" here is there story about Accession Council:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/10/world/europe/king-charles-iii-accession.html
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

Go figure!

Have you not been paying attention to coverage of "inkwell-gate" here on PB?

As for NYT, not sure what you mean by "whole thing" here is there story about Accession Council:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/10/world/europe/king-charles-iii-accession.html
    No one at the time paid any attention to it.

By whole thing, I am referring to the NY Times' articles and editorials since the death.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Pierre Polievre elected leader of CPC on first ballot.
    Previous leader resigned February 2nd.
    Making our Tories look like Usain Bolt.
    "Elizabeth II embodied the virtues of the pre-internet age
    She did good for its own sake, not in order to virtue signal on social media

ZOE STRIMPEL" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/10/elizabeth-ii-embodied-virtues-pre-internet-age/
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Maybe they'll come up with a joint plan to build scaled-up Poundburys all over the country.
    It is entertaining how everyone is quite certain of why she is doing this. Each with their own reason.
    The most obvious reason being that, as the new PM she’d be doing something of a tour of the country next week anyway.
This discussion has been closed.