Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

BBC news already at the padding "What can we say?" stage.

9 more days of this.

Every single BBC Radio Channel has been taken over 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Extra, 5. I'm not happy. They should keep at least one channel (4 Extra?) where those who wish to can listen to something else.
    Spotify? This was a better point in 1997 than now.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

9 more days of this.

Every single BBC Radio Channel has been taken over 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Extra, 5. I'm not happy. They should keep at least one channel (4 Extra?) where those who wish to can listen to something else.
    There’s a whole load of stuff on sounds to listen to if you have it.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

10 days of coverage makes sense without 24 hour rolling updates. 10 days mourning with regular updates/specials is the thing to do rather than inundation - there will be more than enough online for those who wish to immerse themselves in coverage.
    Well at least it isn't just a funeral, there's also the accession.
    There's a number of events to space out the week or so, it's just going to frustrate anyone not just dipping in and out.
    We've got new stamps, coins, banknotes and passports (yes, again) to look forward to. Suspect the coronation won't be until next year though.
    Oh of course, those references to Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State.

There's a lot more expensive rebranding to be done beyond that. Think for a start of every Royal Mail van in the country, and all those police forces.
  • ydoethur said:

Der Spiegel panders to the republicans with a "last majesty" cover.

Doesn't it also mean the same as 'the late majesty' in German? Not that my German is all it might be.
    No, the late majesty would be die verstorbene Majestät.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

King Charles will be ok. Many realms will go, but I think it will go nowhere for now.

The emotion ( and yes, over emotion) of the next weeks will see that.

I think a lot of people will now be surprised how quiet he becomes on issues he may have spoken about before, and how much her follows her blueprint as a tribute to her. And everyone knows William and Kate are coming.
    Or you may be surprised.

The line between what he does quietly and what he does publicly may change, but in which direction is not clear.

He's as barking as f***, as many who live in or near his big collection of real-life dolls' houses in Poundbury can confirm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_spider_memos
    He has also been correct on some issues well before they became popular, e.g. the environment.

And whilst Poundbury can be criticised, he was right in saying that there are big problems with the built environment as well. We can build better than we do.
    Poundbury is naff. It is, however much better than the estates of “executive homes” , or “award winning” inner city architecture.

People spend a fortune to live there.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    pigeon said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

10 days of coverage makes sense without 24 hour rolling updates. 10 days mourning with regular updates/specials is the thing to do rather than inundation - there will be more than enough online for those who wish to immerse themselves in coverage.
    There's a number of events to space out the week or so, it's just going to frustrate anyone not just dipping in and out.
    We've got new stamps, coins, banknotes and passports (yes, again) to look forward to. Suspect the coronation won't be until next year though.

There's a lot more expensive rebranding to be done beyond that. Think for a start of every Royal Mail van in the country, and all those police forces.
    I think I've got one of the last "Her Britannic Majesty" passports that'll be issued for many decades, issued just yesterday.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I don’t think William automatically becomes Prince of Wales, does he?

I assume the title is currently in abeyance.

It has to be recreated.

All Charles' other titles now fall. Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Carrick and Earl of Merioneth all now cease to exist and can be awarded to others by a new creation.
    Apparently William and Kate are now the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge
    I wonder if he now will give the Dukedom of Edinburgh to Edward?

And find a way to keep Andrew away from the coronation?
    Could give York to Edward, I am hoping Andrew will be Mr Windsor by this time tomorrow.
    Not prisoner 2046 of B wing Stafford?
    Not on normal courtyard exercise.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

King Charles will be ok. Many realms will go, but I think it will go nowhere for now.

I think a lot of people will now be surprised how quiet he becomes on issues he may have spoken about before, and how much her follows her blueprint as a tribute to her. And everyone knows William and Kate are coming.
    Or you may be surprised.

The line between what he does quietly and what he does publicly may change, but in which direction is not clear.

He's as barking as f***, as many who live in or near his big collection of real-life dolls' houses in Poundbury can confirm.

He has also been correct on some issues well before they became popular, e.g. the environment.

And whilst Poundbury can be criticised, he was right in saying that there are big problems with the built environment as well. We can build better than we do.
    Poundbury is naff. It is, however much better than the estates of “executive homes” , or “award winning” inner city architecture.

Millions in a briefcase?
    edited September 2022
    snip
  • Have the Kremlin made any comment yet? ;)

Have the Kremlin made any comment yet? ;)

The 'President of Russia' English twitter channel appears to have not been updated since the middle of March for some unaccountable reason

https://twitter.com/kremlinrussia_e
    On rebranding, already His Majesty's Government on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

ydoethur said:

Doesn't it also mean the same as 'the late majesty' in German? Not that my German is all it might be.
    I'll take your word for it.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

Amazon prime for me. Grand tour. I loved the queen and I’m sad at her passing but really.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    pigeon said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

Do we all get sent a sticker for our passport so we can be really clear with Johnny Foreigner that HIS Majesty’s Secretary of State still “requests and requires” them to assist us?

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

Yes, I know, and I use Spotify and Sounds. But as an old-fashioned chap I like to lie in bed listening to an old-fashioned (though DAB) radio as I doze off. I don't think HMQ should be on every single BBC station.
  • Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

I live in a 20-year old house in a town that did not exist 25 years ago. I see other new developments in the surrounding area. I fear many of the people who throw criticisms at places like ours often live in expensive houses in cities, or twee thatched cottages in an AONB.

We should not be building new houses; we should be building new liveable spaces. New communities. I think that's one of Charles's main points.

IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

Yes, I know, and I use Spotify. But as an old-fashioned chap I like to lie in bed listening to an old-fashioned (though DAB) radio as I doze off. I don't think HMQ should be on every single BBC station.
    I think people can survive a day or two of that (I presume they'll be back by then)
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,163
    New postboxes with CR. Wonder where the first will be.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2022
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

There will be no play at The Oval tomorrow, in case anyone here has tickets.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-in-england-2022-1276896/england-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-1276918/live-cricket-score

Likely to be the start of many abandoned sporting fixtures in the UK over the weekend.

Tonight's horse race meetings at Southwell and Chelmsford were stopped when the announcement was made and tomorrow's horse race meetings have already been cancelled.
    It is of course the St Leger on Saturday, which I would hope will go ahead.
  • EU flags are flying at half mast in Brussels.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Oh god, it just occurred to me. The Privy Council having been cancelled the other day, the King is going to have to swear in the whole bloody Cabinet soon or there could be legal issues. That’s going to be a poignant moment for him.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    TimS said:

Poundbury.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

BBC taken all other news off the homepage. Good luck finding out how Hearts of Midlothian did against Istanbul Basakeshir.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news looks normal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/
    Yes, and if you go to the news page, that's where the news is. There is a link on the home page to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    Just seen Starmer's statement.

I thought it was well-judged and elegant but a couple of mis-steps:

1) He said 'we will' when 'let us' would have been better (e.g. 'we will honour the late Queen's memory' rather took us all for granted)

2) I really don't think he was wise to sit down to say it. Apart from anything else, he didn't know what to do with his hands. A lectern of some sort would have served him better.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Have the Kremlin made any comment yet? ;)

Yes, Starmer spoke earlier.
  • From the Commonwealth's largest republic:

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1567931746070704131

Narendra Modi
    @narendramodi
    Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will be remembered as a stalwart of our times. She provided inspiring leadership to her nation and people. She personified dignity and decency in public life. Pained by her demise. My thoughts are with her family and people of UK in this sad hour.
    6:43 PM · Sep 8, 2022
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    Harry arrives; Meghan not with him.
    kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Millions in a briefcase?
    You’d need 500k+ to buy a 4 bed house there. Not sure if they take cash….
  • Just to have something that isn't the passing of Her Majesty...

As a kid, perhaps my favourite film was Tarus Bulba. There is a scene where the Cossacks are meeting up to go to war with the invaders. A few horsemen, then a few more, then a lot more - then a multitude, all riding at a flat out gallop.

Reading the messages on Twitter, it does seem like something similar has been going on today as the Ukrainians regain territory.

Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy it as much as the 6-year old me did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8G6S6fQQ4I

I hope HM died having heard good news about the Ukrainians knocking several shades of shit out of the Russians on the Kharkiv front. As a veteran of WW2 the Russian invasion of Ukraine must have distressed her greatly.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

BBC taken all other news off the homepage. Good luck finding out how Hearts of Midlothian did against Istanbul Basakeshir.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news looks normal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/
    Yes, and if you go to the news page, that's where the news is. There is a link on the home page to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    Yes, I'm not sure what your point is? I deliberately said the home page had the other news taken off, which it has. Of course it was still accessible via a link - I'd have thought the Hearts of Midlothian bit gave away the intended tone.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'll take your word for it.
    I have always liked the fact that the French for your late father is feu ton père, but sadly I find this is deprecated in favour of ton défunt père.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

Amazon prime for me. Grand tour. I loved the queen and I’m sad at her passing but really.
    Film 4 has a banner at the bottom of the screen* urging me to turn to channel 4 as there has been an important announcement.

*except during ad breaks, the news can wait until after the ads are finished, apparently
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-in-england-2022-1276896/england-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-1276918/live-cricket-score

Likely to be the start of many abandoned sporting fixtures in the UK over the weekend.

Mercury Prize off as well.
    Is there space in the football calendar?
    Cancelled or postponed? I have a hefty bet on Wet Leg!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743

stodge said:

Tonight's horse race meetings at Southwell and Chelmsford were stopped when the announcement was made and tomorrow's horse race meetings have already been cancelled.

Historical precedent suggests not - for the passing of George VI and before him George V and Edward VII, all race meetings were cancelled between the announcement of the death and the funeral.

Whether that line can and should be taken now will be up to the BHA.
  • They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022
    Sorry if I’m misjudging the mood here, but… I recon Truss got lucky with her timing, today.

The energy cap policy looks very much like a work in progress. On any other day it would be being picked apart. So many problems…

She’s got, what? A week? to fix it, out of the glare of media scrutiny.

I suspect this isn’t the first of her beta policies which won’t survive contact with reality. She won’t be so lucky next time.

• stodge said:

Sandpit said:

The St Leger was first run in 1776, an otherwise unremarkable year.
  • IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

I was glad I was out of the country when Diana was driven round Paris trying to find a hospital. Especially as the Americans were in bits and I thought they were funny. Will be out of the country all of next week and that's a Good Thing.

Yes she was marvellous. Yes she was a brilliant servant to her country and deserves a big send off. But we don't stop life for x period because she has finally been allowed to rest.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?

TSE is in charge. Don't worry nothing will happen.
    You have chosen a wonderful picture for the header TSE. Thank you.
    ping said:

Sorry if I’m misjudging the mood here, but… I recon Truss got lucky with her timing, today.

The energy cap policy looks very much like a work in progress. On any other day it would be being picked apart.

She’s got, what? A week? to fix it.

I suspect this isn’t the first of her policies which won’t survive contact with reality.

GDTBBN for sure. The big complaint is no one knows what the actual max price per kwh is yet.
  • She's been monarch for nearly 30% of the existence of the USA...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2022
    Glasgow Warriros jusy cancelled their match against Ulster tommorow.

IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

I was glad I was out of the country when Diana was driven round Paris trying to find a hospital. Especially as the Americans were in bits and I thought they were funny. Will be out of the country all of next week and that's a Good Thing.

Yes she was marvellous. Yes she was a brilliant servant to her country and deserves a big send off. But we don't stop life for x period because she has finally been allowed to rest.
    We had the foretaste of this for Prince Philip. Seems the broadcasters, bbc in particular, have learnt nothing. Why have the same programmes on bbc1 and 2? If you want to wallow, or pay tribute or whatever have it on one. Keep other stuff on 2 FFS.
    Topical and serendipitous

The Sebastopol bell, captured from Russian forces during the 19th-century Crimean War, will also sound at Windsor Castle once a minute for every year of her life.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/queen-elizabeth-dead-are-plans-mourning-funeral-rcna46889
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Driver said:

Very interesting that the first statement from a foreign leader quoted by the BBC was from the President of Ireland.

Her visit to Ireland in 2011 and the way she conducted herself was outstanding. It really meant a lot.
  • They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
    How many American Presidents did the Queen actually meet, though?

She's been monarch for nearly 30% of the existence of the USA...
    She and Victoria together make up over half - 133 years out of 238.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869

Scott_xP said:

⚡️The cover of the new issue of Time magazine.

👉 Follow @Flash_news_ua https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1567947407987556355/photo/1

A great understated cover. Perfect.
    Looks like the latest advert for Scottish Widows.
  • Sandpit said:

Ridiculous
  • boulay said:

TimS said:

Poundbury.
    Nowhere for a few days as the workers are on strike.
    Alistair said:

GCW still going ahead with their Liverpool show. Someone ia goong to go for the cheapest of cheap heat.

Supposed to be attending the Frome Cheese Show on Saturday. Not sure if it’s going ahead. nothing announced. Would expect all footy to be off at the weekend.
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Historical precedent suggests not - for the passing of George VI and before him George V and Edward VII, all race meetings were cancelled between the announcement of the death and the funeral.

Following today’s announcement regarding the terribly sad passing of Her Majesty The Queen, racing at Doncaster scheduled for Friday 9 September has been cancelled.

All customers with a booking will be contacted directly by email with the options available to them.

Details regarding upcoming fixtures including Saturday’s Cazoo St Leger Day are being reviewed and customers will be updated in due course.

https://www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk/news/racing/update-on-racing-friday-9-september
  • Great opportunity to update some of the various paraphernalia.

They do the investiture of Prince of Wales at Cardiff Castle as a precursor (say a month before) the Coronation.

The new king should then be forced to tour each and every realm.

Harry’s children should be made princes.

Reportedly the Duke and Duchess of Sussex refused titles for their children.
  • Just received a grocery delivery. "Did you have a nice day?" asked the young man. Must admit I was lost for words.

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

I live in a 20-year old house in a town that did not exist 25 years ago. I see other new developments in the surrounding area. I fear many of the people who throw criticisms at places like ours often live in expensive houses in cities, or twee thatched cottages in an AONB.

We should not be building new houses; we should be building new liveable spaces. New communities. I think that's one of Charles's main points.
    Yes - but we should also allow more growth in existing locations. Let villages grow into towns, the way they’ve done since humans built houses….
  • Bolsonaro declares three days of mourning in Brazil for British queen

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1567956993335504896
    All except Johnson. So 13 of the 14
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited September 2022
    That says it all for me. I’m really pleased she saw it.
    edited September 2022

They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
    I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign except Lyndon Johnson, and also met ex-President Hoover.

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Hopefully King Charles III can issue a royal edict banning modern glass and steel “architecture”.
  • So when does

i) Prince Edward become the Duke of Edinburgh?

and

ii) We start seeing coins and notes with King Charles III on them?

So when does

i) Prince Edward become the Duke of Edinburgh?

and

ii) We start seeing coins and notes with King Charles III on them?

Details for ii) will start coming out after the mourning period.
    All except Johnson. So 13 of the 14
    I suspect she'd rather have met Lyndon Johnson than his namesake over here.
  • Just to have something that isn't the passing of Her Majesty...

As a kid, perhaps my favourite film was Tarus Bulba. There is a scene where the Cossacks are meeting up to go to war with the invaders. A few horsemen, then a few more, then a lot more - then a multitude, all riding at a flat out gallop.

Reading the messages on Twitter, it does seem like something similar has been going on today as the Ukrainians regain territory.

Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy it as much as the 6-year old me did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8G6S6fQQ4I

I hope HM died having heard good news about the Ukrainians knocking several shades of shit out of the Russians on the Kharkiv front. As a veteran of WW2 the Russian invasion of Ukraine must have distressed her greatly.
    I would hope HRH wouldn't have given a shit at this point to be perfectly honest.
  • kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Millions in a briefcase?
    This is the 4-bed house that £500k gets you in my village:
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/62341571/

Poundbury suddenly seems attractive. ;)
  • Have the Kremlin made any comment yet? ;)

This?

• ydoethur said:

They were saying something on the radio along the lines of thinking that she might hold the record for most US Presidents met. That no other individual in history had ever met as many.
    I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign.
    She never met Johnson apparently.
  • NEW: No 10 say the PM was informed of the Queen’s death by the Cabinet Secretary at 4.30pm while she was working in Downing St.

Liz Truss has spoken to the King.

She will chair an operational ministerial meeting at 9pm.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1567961349883297795
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743
    Prompt move by the RMT to suspend next week's rail strikes and the postal strike also suspended..

TimS said:

At last, recognition for our own @Casino_Royale.
    I’m sure @Casino_Royale will be a first class stamp.
  • ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

Princess Elizabeth on her 21st birthday - 1947

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

RIP - Elizabeth the Great.

I think I'm right in saying only one other monarch of any of the Home Nations has been called that - Alfred of Wessex (871-899).

But I wonder if it will stick.

Johnson has used it, apparently.
    Didn’t he rule Mercia as well? I think it was Athelstan who claimed to be the first king of Angleland

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign.
    She never met Johnson apparently.
    No, so I've just seen so I edited the comment. The other one was Hoover, not Johnson.
    Google says she met with all of them during her reign, except for LBJ. So, thirteen.

kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Millions in a briefcase?

“Bring me the blandest thing on the menu”

I will have to send you a pic of what someone did with a similar box, in Shepards Bush. A small amount of work and they turned it into something interesting. Not my taste, but it looks.. designed, i suppose.
    edited September 2022

Alistair said:

GCW still going ahead with their Liverpool show. Someone ia goong to go for the cheapest of cheap heat.

Supposed to be attending the Frome Cheese Show on Saturday. Not sure if it’s going ahead. nothing announced. Would expect all footy to be off at the weekend.
    There'll likely be a blanket cancellation of all manner of events between now and the funeral.

Ten days from now takes us up to Sunday 18th, though I'm not sure whether or not the C of E would want to hold the funeral on a Sunday. Regardless, I think that most sporting events will probably be cancelled for this weekend and the next.

I've got a small local race I'm meant to be competing in on the 18th and I think even that might get scrubbed in due course.
  • agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 85
    edited September 2022
    Royal Poundbury soon? Or Poundbury Regis.

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Hopefully King Charles III can issue a royal edict banning modern glass and steel “architecture”.
    TBF, if he does that he deserves to be remembered as our greatest king.
  • kle4 said:

The Commonwealth has a new Head.

I don’t think that’s hereditary?
    I recall a great fantasy novel where a famous banking family initially made their fortune when an ancestor got wind of the death of a ruler while said ruler was abroad, beat the news back home and bought up all supplies of black mourning cloth to sell at massive profit.

Beware flower inflation.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I suspect you are right that they will stick with precedent. There's going to be a large number of events cancelled and pressure thus placed on any others.

Postponement seems unlikely so 2022 will join 1939 as a missing year.

I know it isn't really relevant in the grand scheme of things but that will be quite a blow to local hospitality if so. Bet on a fall in GDP...

Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?

TSE is in charge. Don't worry nothing will happen.
    You have chosen a wonderful picture for the header TSE. Thank you.

This is how good she looked on a horse
  • Sandpit said:

Ridiculous
    The weather forecast for tomorrow is bad enough that there might not have been any play anyway. This way they might decide to play on Tuesday to make up for it, though the forecast is wet then too.

First Test match of the reign of KCIII could be a rain-affected draw. Ominous.
  • IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

We had the foretaste of this for Prince Philip. Seems the broadcasters, bbc in particular, have learnt nothing. Why have the same programmes on bbc1 and 2? If you want to wallow, or pay tribute or whatever have it on one. Keep other stuff on 2 FFS.
    What do they want? The whole country to stop so we have have mandatory wailing and tearing of clothes?
    agingjb2 said:

Royal Poundbury soon? Or Poundbury Regis.

Capital of the New United Kingdom.
  • ydoethur said:

I'm not sure if she met Truman, although he did make one visit to London in 1945. She met all the others who were in office during her reign except Lyndon Johnson, and also met ex-President Hoover.
    Truman threw a hotdog party during his visit and there's a photo somewhere of the king and queen tucking into theirs with knives and forks. It would have been entirely in keeping with royal protocol at the time to leave the kids at home.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631
    pigeon said:

Alistair said:

There'll likely be a blanket cancellation of all manner of events between now and the funeral.

Ten days from now takes us up to Sunday 18th, though I'm not sure whether or not the C of E would want to hold the funeral on a Sunday. Regardless, I think that most sporting events will probably be cancelled for this weekend and the next.

I've got a small local race I'm meant to be competing in on the 18th and I think even that might get scrubbed in due course.
    Yup life totally disrupted because an old lady died, not even unexpectedly.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056

kle4 said:

It’s not, but he was pre-chosen.
  • kle4 said:

It’s not, but the Commonwealth agreed a while ago that Charles would succeed.
    edited September 2022

ydoethur said:

Truman threw a hotdog party during his visit and there's a photo somewhere of the king and queen tucking into theirs with knives and forks. It would have been entirely in keeping with royal protocol at the time to leave the kids at home.
    Well, she was still in the ATS, wasn't she?
  • kle4 said:

No but she strong armed persuaded them to appoint the then Prince of Wales as her successor.
  • ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

I think I'm right in saying only one other monarch of any of the Home Nations has been called that - Alfred of Wessex (871-899).

Didn’t he rule Mercia as well? I think it was Athelstan who claimed to be the first king of Angleland

Canute was Cnut the Great
  • kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Or you may be surprised.

Millions in a briefcase?

“Bring me the blandest thing on the menu”

I will have to send you a pic of what someone did with a similar box, in Shepards Bush. A small amount of work and they turned it into something interesting. Not my taste, but it looks.. designed, i suppose.
    Cambourne is an interesting development. It was built by three or four big builders, and they interspersed plots. This meant that there is a great variety in the buildings, including on our street, which makes it feel somewhat more interesting. A good friend's wife is an architect, and whilst he thought it all looked fake, she thought it was a great way of building.

Sadly, the newer developments in the area are much less varied, and IMO much more bland. Especially (shudders) Eddington...

ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

Correct. The traditional foundation date of England is 927, when Athelstan captured Northumbria. Alfred is commonly referred to as having become King of the Anglo-Saxons, or King of all the English not living under the rule of the Danes. The Lord of the Mercians, who ruled roughly the south-western half of the Mercian territories, did so as Alfred's vassal.

IshmaelZ said:

9 more days of this.

What do they want? The whole country to stop so we have have mandatory wailing and tearing of clothes?
    Just leave it. There is no way back from your earlier shit about Liz Truss killing her, hur hur hur. Just take off into your native Scottish countryside if you don't wanna watch telly.
    All from Truman to Biden EXCEPT for Lyndon Johnson.

Why not? Was QEIII put off when LBJ held that beagle up by its ears? (One of the worst photo-ops in history!)
This discussion has been closed.