Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

I assume William becomes the Prince of Wales with an investiture to take place at Caernarfon Castle

I am not sure this is the black swan you are looking for.

Truss defeating Putin might be just the ticket mind.
    Not looking for a black swan but making a fairly obvious comment
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Leon said:

I’m still on the remote Portuguese coast. I just checked in to a new hotel. The old Portuguese lady who owns the place looked at me, with sad, pale-faced shock, and said “your queen is dead!

Did you complete your assigned 15km task?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I confess I am somewhat glad to be abroad so as to avoid some of the frenzied grief

Just been for a walk.
    Absolutely nobody around even though it's stopped raining for the first time today.
    I worried that the rain was ending.

And alas, it was.
  • Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

I assume William becomes the Prince of Wales with an investiture to take place at Caernarfon Castle

I am not sure this is the black swan you are looking for.

Truss defeating Putin might be just the ticket mind.
    Utter desperation. Raising her profile WTF remember this the next time PB Tories waver
    No desperation but making a statement of the obvious even if it upsets you
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Leon said:

I confess I am somewhat glad to be abroad so as to avoid some of the frenzied grief

It won't be as bad as in Pyongyang after Kim Jong-il died.
  • I don’t think William automatically becomes Prince of Wales, does he?

I assume the title is currently in abeyance.

I think he does but wait for confirmation
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Cookie said:

Liz Truss not particularly clunky or awkward.

She is certainly having a baptism by fire and adapting to the role quickly

Thank goodness it was not Johnson
    Thought Truss was terrible. Cold.

Johnno would have been better at this by a mile.
    Truss tone and content was just right for the occasion
    She was awful. Boris would have been better.

Serious nonsense. She is the PM, not Meryl Streep auditioning for the part of PM. Boris would have been a pass the sick bag moment for the ages. The statement he has released is a load of wank, but I sit here imagining him, imagining himself, cranking it out outside no 10, and I laugh. A lot.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Cookie said:

From the cocky young republican to the conservative PM that ushers out a royal titan.

Fate is a naughty little minx, isn't it?
  • ydoethur said:

Mrs Capitano has just pointed out I'm going to have to intone "O Lord, save the King" at our next rehearsal for Choral Evensong. That is going to take some getting used to.

Bollocks, so am I. And it's not that far away.

As well you mentioned it.
    Still, think of the choristers who started term yesterday and are about to be told that their first duty is to sing a requiem mass every day for the next seven days. I'm not even joking.
  • Fishing said:

JACK_W said:

Princess Elizabeth on her 21st birthday - 1947

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

RIP - Elizabeth the Great.

Elizabeth the Dutiful? It was what her life was all about.
    Elizabeth. Elizabeth the Merciful!
    edited September 2022

I don’t think William automatically becomes Prince of Wales, does he?

No. George V, for example, had to wait eight months and Charles I four years. Charles himself wasn't made PoW for 17 years!

Edit - he does of course automatically become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay.

ydoethur said:

Mrs Capitano has just pointed out I'm going to have to intone "O Lord, save the King" at our next rehearsal for Choral Evensong. That is going to take some getting used to.

Still, think of the choristers who started term yesterday and are about to be told that their first duty is to sing a requiem mass every day for the next seven days. I'm not even joking.
    Not so much Lux Aeterna as Looks Aghast.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

ydoethur said:

Seven days? Not 10?
    Jonathan said:

Back from A&E, my wife is stable. It looks like she has an abscess from surgery. What a day.

Blimey. A speedy intervention and a speedier recovery to her.
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Serious nonsense. She is the PM, not Meryl Streep auditioning for the part of PM. Boris would have been a pass the sick bag moment for the ages. The statement he has released is a load of wank, but I sit here imagining him, imagining himself, cranking it out outside no 10, and I laugh. A lot.

I sometimes wonder about your intensely visceral attitude to Boris Mr Ishmael. Did you have to fag for him at school or something?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

No, he's the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge for the time being.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Fishing said:

JACK_W said:

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

I agree with Elizabeth the Great.
  • ydoethur said:

No. George V, for example, had to wait eight months and Charles I four years. Charles himself wasn't made PoW for 17 years!
    Thanks - will wait for announcement
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited September 2022

King Charles III doesn't sound nearly as weird as I expected it to.

I've never understood why it should not be that name?
    It's just that they can choose another one, the Queen's dad did after all, and a regnal name is a common thing in many royal traditions, but it just wouldn't work anymore I think - we've known him for so long to call him something else would be silly.

Of course, if it was Truss becoming queen presumably she'd be Queen Elizabeth even though her first name is not Liz, so it's what they're known as thesedays I guess.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

LOL!
    edited September 2022
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

I sometimes wonder about your intensely visceral attitude to Boris Mr Ishmael. Did you have to fag for him at school or something?
    No, I was at a rival establishment. I just don't like fat liars being at the levers of power; loved him on HIGNFY.

ETA and I'm not as bloody visceral as he is, by a long chalk.
  • Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Seven days? Not 10?
    You are indeed right. Yikes.

My Queen anecdote (apart from seeing the top of her hat at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party).

Newcastle Races. The bar - floor swimming with beer and fag ends. The Boys Brigade standing about with a length of plastic chain link fence lying on the floor. When the Queen arrived the boys picked up the fence and took a step back to form a narrow passage for the Queen through the throng to the box. Later, when I was carrying drinks from the bar I got a tap on my shoulder “Step back please, the Queen would like to pass”

And she did, right in front of me, on her way to inspect the horses. Amazing blue eyes.

You don't see horses with blue eyes very often.
  • Old Trafford perfect silence

You could have heard a pin drop

King Charles III doesn't sound nearly as weird as I expected it to.

I've never understood why it should not be that name?
    As the forename they wish to be called by, most people use the main given name that they received from their parents, or a version of it.

Most of us similarly have only one birthday a year, on exactly the same calendar day that we were born on. We might also have a saint's day depending on which culture we come from.

Where the monarch is concerned, the principle is different. Their name is what they damned well say it is. And their official birthday is when they say it is too.

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Seven days? Not 10?
    Looks eternal!

Fishing said:

JACK_W said:

Is Gladiator your favourite movie by any chance?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Seven days? Not 10?
    I did wonder. Presumably 9 practices and 1 real thing? Or is there some tradition of doing it daily till the funereal ceremonies?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Jonathan said:

Back from A&E, my wife is stable. It looks like she has an abscess from surgery. What a day.

best wishes for her recovery.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Do we have details on the accession council, and then the various proclamations?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Witchell's clip unfortunate - "difficult to believe that this long reign is finally over" which came over as though it were a relief.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Nobody's contacted me yet.
    Just use the title until somebody stops you then....
    Still Nicholas Witchell on the TV even though Huw Edwards is taking a break.

AAAAAAAARGH!
  • kle4 said:

Fishing said:

JACK_W said:

Is Gladiator your favourite movie by any chance?
    We mortals are but shadows and dust. Shadows and dust, @kle4!
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

Glad you didnt have to test how well W3W works for Portuguese mountain rescue and coastguard.
  • Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?

TSE is in charge. Don't worry nothing will happen.
    Looks that way. Another dull evening with nothing on the telly.
    edited September 2022
    BBC taken all other news off the homepage. Good luck finding out how Hearts of Midlothian did against Istanbul Basakeshir.
  • RIP Her Majesty. An end of an era.

Best wishes for Jonathan's wife.
  • Better than Truss’s colour-by-numbers statement.

Don’t get me wrong, Truss was adequate and infinitely better than Boris would have been, but she was outclassed by Starmer, Sturgeon and now Biden.
  • ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

All Charles' other titles now fall. Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Carrick and Earl of Merioneth all now cease to exist and can be awarded to others by a new creation.
    Apparently William and Kate are now the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge
    I look forward to reading Dura_Ace on this.

For now, goodnight.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Jonathan said:

Best wishes to you both!

Don’t get me wrong, Truss was adequate and infinitely better than Boris would have been, but she was outclassed by Starmer, Sturgeon and now Biden.
    Their roles are somewhat different to Truss's at this time. And so is the presentation and import.
    BBC news already at the padding "What can we say?" stage.

9 more days of this.

ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

All Charles' other titles now fall. Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Carrick and Earl of Merioneth all now cease to exist and can be awarded to others by a new creation.
    Apparently William and Kate are now the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge
    I wonder if he now will give the Dukedom of Edinburgh to Edward?

And find a way to keep Andrew away from the coronation?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Like so many of you, Michelle and I are grateful to have witnessed Her Majesty’s dedicated leadership, and we are awed by her legacy of tireless, dignified public service. Our thoughts are with her family and the people of the United Kingdom at this difficult time. https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1567948480689373187/photo/1
  • FossFoss Posts: 694
    The station I am currently sat in already has a warning message about the funeral affecting train services.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    MattW said:

Leon said:

I’m still on the remote Portuguese coast. I just checked in to a new hotel. The old Portuguese lady who owns the place looked at me, with sad, pale-faced shock, and said “your queen is dead!

Did you complete your assigned 15km task?
    Yes. Never again. Fucking horrible albeit magnificent. Too much sand! Apparently it’s really bad this year because drought

I’ve now perked up as a bunch of locals are taking making me to the best resto in Vila Nova de Milafontes
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    RobD said:

Do we have details on the accession council, and then the various proclamations?

All starts at 11am tomorrow in London, according to the famous Guardian piece.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
    kle4 said:

BBC taken all other news off the homepage. Good luck finding out how Hearts of Midlothian did against Istanbul Basakeshir.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62771448

Not very well.
    edited September 2022

9 more days of this.

10 days of coverage makes sense in a world without 24 hour rolling updates. 10 days mourning with regular updates/specials is the thing to do rather than inundation - there will be more than enough online for those who wish to immerse themselves in coverage.

ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

They should be careful at dinners - two places were once laid for Lord Mowbray and Stourton.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 583
    ydoethur said:

Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

Will be interesting to see if they go for Caernarfon or Cardiff for the investiture.

Caernarfon is more spectacular and historic, but Cardiff is much more definitely the capital now than it was in 1969.
    After the trouble last time I dont think they will hold a ceremony. But if they did is unlikely to be Caernarfon. Could be Cardiff or maybe Pembroke.
    ⚡️The cover of the new issue of Time magazine.

👉 Follow @Flash_news_ua https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1567947407987556355/photo/1

• bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022

Better than Truss’s colour-by-numbers statement.

It was a different thing to be PM today than it was for any of them. I am not a Truss fan, but she did her job, and she gets several bites at this cherry.

• TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    My daughter wants to know if this will affect her birthday party at the London Dungeon on Saturday. Not sure I know the answer to that.
    kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

10 days of coverage makes sense without 24 hour rolling updates. 10 days mourning with regular updates/specials is the thing to do rather than inundation - there will be more than enough online for those who wish to immerse themselves in coverage.
    Well at least it isn't just a funeral, there's also the accession.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    Quite liked this line in Trump’s statement:

“What a grand and beautiful lady she was—there was nobody like her!”

Can almost hear him saying it.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

Could give York to Edward, I am hoping Andrew will be Mr Windsor by this time tomorrow.
    I presume someone in Whitehall will be tasked to see which serving Commonwealth PMs do not end their statements on the death with 'God Save the King', to see which ones will not be re-upping their subscription to the British Monarchy.
    Our statement on the death of Queen Elizabeth II. https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1567952734623596548/photo/1
    Our Colombian office cleaner says she doesn't like Camilla and she is not sure about King 'Carlo.'
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

10 days of coverage makes sense without 24 hour rolling updates. 10 days mourning with regular updates/specials is the thing to do rather than inundation - there will be more than enough online for those who wish to immerse themselves in coverage.
    There's a number of events to space out the week or so, it's just going to frustrate anyone not just dipping in and out.
    boulay said:

Quite liked this line in Trump’s statement:

“What a grand and beautiful lady she was—there was nobody like her!”

Can almost hear him saying it.
    And when you grabbed her by the pussy...
    MISTY said:

Our Colombian office cleaner says she doesn't like Camilla and she is not sure about King 'Carlo.'

He'll be known as Carlos in the spanish speaking world, just as their late majesty was known as Isabel.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    There will be no play at The Oval tomorrow, in case anyone here has tickets.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-in-england-2022-1276896/england-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-1276918/live-cricket-score

Likely to be the start of many abandoned sporting fixtures in the UK over the weekend.
    Listening to SKS' statement. All good stuff, great sentiment, gets it bang on.

But Jesus H Christ what a boring delivery I all but fell asleep halfway through it, my mind drifting off to what I was going to have for supper tonight
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

There's a number of events to space out the week or so, it's just going to frustrate anyone not just dipping in and out.
    We've got new stamps, coins, banknotes and passports (yes, again) to look forward to. Suspect the coronation won't be until next year though.
    Scott_xP said:

⚡️The cover of the new issue of Time magazine.

👉 Follow @Flash_news_ua https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1567947407987556355/photo/1

...Darth Elizabeth?!
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

9 more days of this.

We've got new stamps, coins, banknotes and passports (yes, again) to look forward to. Suspect the coronation won't be until next year though.
    Yes, best wait until the recession formally passes.
    Scott_xP said:

Our statement on the death of Queen Elizabeth II. https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1567952734623596548/photo/1

And a rather lovely one.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

Could give York to Edward, I am hoping Andrew will be Mr Windsor by this time tomorrow.
    Unfortunately, unless the holder voluntarily renounces it, I believe that a peerage can only be stripped by Act of Parliament.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Sandpit said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-in-england-2022-1276896/england-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-1276918/live-cricket-score

Likely to be the start of many abandoned sporting fixtures in the UK over the weekend.

Tonight's horse race meetings at Southwell and Chelmsford were stopped when the announcement was made and tomorrow's horse race meetings have already been cancelled.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It has to be recreated.

Not prisoner 2046 of B wing Stafford?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Sandpit said:

Mercury Prize off as well.
    Is there space in the football calendar?

That's fine. I am very comfortable with Truss being a doer of deeds not a wordsmith. Starmer and Sturgeon are lawyers. Biden is an old school politician, and has (probably with some help) made a very classy and generous written tribute.
  • Der Spiegel panders to the republicans with a "last majesty" cover.

MISTY said:

Really Misty. We only accept anecdotes like that from Albanian taxi drivers.
  • BBC news already at the padding "What can we say?" stage.

9 more days of this.

Every single BBC Radio Channel has been taken over 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Extra, 5. I'm not happy. They should keep at least one channel (4 Extra?) where those who wish to can listen to something else.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746

It does feel like something more than a person has gone. Something indefinable but sort of knowable has left us. We’ll not get it back.

I think it is the final passing of the generation that won the second world war, and built the country we now inhabit.

9 more days of this.

Every single BBC Radio Channel has been taken over 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Extra, 5. I'm not happy. They should keep at least one channel (4 Extra?) where those who wish to can listen to something else.
    Plenty of options if it doesn't have to be live. It would be difficult catching up with the news though.
  • No doubt, she has put in a decent shift.

• kle4 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news looks normal.

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    TOPPING said:

Listening to SKS' statement. All good stuff, great sentiment, gets it bang on.

But Jesus H Christ what a boring delivery I all but fell asleep halfway through it, my mind drifting off to what I was going to have for supper tonight

Something about the reference to the Crown Prosecution Service felt a bit jarring and out of place. Other than that it was fine, but SKS is just a bit...nasal...in his speech.

Der Spiegel panders to the republicans with a "last majesty" cover.

Doesn't it also mean the same as 'the late majesty' in German? Not that my German is all it might be.
    Just to have something that isn't the passing of Her Majesty...

As a kid, perhaps my favourite film was Tarus Bulba. There is a scene where the Cossacks are meeting up to go to war with the invaders. A few horsemen, then a few more, then a lot more - then a multitude, all riding at a flat out gallop.

Reading the messages on Twitter, it does seem like something similar has been going on today as the Ukrainians regain territory.

Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy it as much as the 6-year old me did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8G6S6fQQ4I
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2022
    Great opportunity to update some of the various paraphernalia.

They do the investiture of Prince of Wales at Cardiff Castle as a precursor (say a month before) the Coronation.

The new king should then be forced to tour each and every realm.

Harry’s children should be made princes.

kle4 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news looks normal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022

Der Spiegel panders to the republicans with a "last majesty" cover.

Are they going to tell His Majesty the King?
This discussion has been closed.