Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Cookie said:

Liz Truss not particularly clunky or awkward.

She is certainly having a baptism by fire and adapting to the role quickly

Thank goodness it was not Johnson
    Thought Truss was terrible. Cold.

Johnno would have been better at this by a mile.
    Truss tone and content was just right for the occasion
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    JACK_W said:

Princess Elizabeth on her 21st birthday - 1947

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

RIP - Elizabeth the Great.

Although the first one was pretty good too.

(Yes I know she never reigned in Scotland).
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    edited September 2022

Decent speech by Liz.

Interesting to see how the polls go in response

Will there be a pause in polling for 10 days? And, possibly, all the polling done this week that hasn't yet seen the light of day, never will.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    CatMan said:

BBC confirms, it's Charles III

Anything else really would have been absurd.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Boris muscles his way in. Well written as usual.

Boris who?

fuck off phatty.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,732
    JACK_W said:

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

I think I'm right in saying only one other monarch of any of the Home Nations has been called that - Alfred of Wessex (871-899).

But I wonder if it will stick.

Johnson has used it, apparently.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Wow what a superb statement from Boris Johnson just read out by Huw Edwards .
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

Dynamo said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

King Charles will be ok. Many realms will go, but I think it will go nowhere for now.

The emotion ( and yes, over emotion) of the next weeks will see that.

I think a lot of people will now be surprised how quiet he becomes on issues he may have spoken about before, and how much her follows her blueprint as a tribute to her. And everyone knows William and Kate are coming.
    Or you may be surprised.

The line between what he does quietly and what he does publicly may change, but in which direction is not clear.

He's as barking as f***, as many who live in or near his big collection of real-life dolls' houses in Poundbury can confirm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_spider_memos
    He has also been correct on some issues well before they became popular, e.g. the environment.

And whilst Poundbury can be criticised, he was right in saying that there are big problems with the built environment as well. We can build better than we do.
    He's a human being and I'm sure he is right about some things. He is also barking. And he's as gullible as f***. See what he says about the ratio between the radii of planetary orbits in his book "Harmony":

• Leon said:

For those that missed it;

I’m still on the remote Portuguese coast. I just checked in to a new hotel. The old Portuguese lady who owns the place looked at me, with sad, pale-faced shock, and said “your queen is dead!

It is a world history moment.

Even the NY Times has cleared their front web page.
  • ping said:

kle4 said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Charles III.

But is he Charles...or George?
    He'll go for George, after the best Chancellor of this millenium.
    King Gordon?

Now isn't the time, but Charles won't be a patch on his mother.
    I predict he will have a shorter reign.
    I suspect he will reign for as long as he can. He won't want William to be King while his children are young if he can avoid it.

But I suspect 'as long as he can' won't be more than about seven years, for health reasons or by virtue of doing something silly.
    He's 73. I can easily see him setting a retirement date, in contrast to his mother.
    And I would say, having unlike his mother made no pledge of lifelong service, he would be wrong to try.
    That fundamentally misunderstands the institution.

He may try to re-write that institution, of course, but that's what it would take. They are not elected politicians. They are chosen by God, anointed by his representatives.

Personally I think it's pretty ludicrous but that doesn't alter the fact.

That's your interpretation, it isnt fact. Even popes chosen by God retire. The history of our own monarchy is far more messy than your interpretation.
    Popes don't usually retire. There's a whole story about how Benedict did so because it was the only way to change the guard, and clear out what had become massive corruption in the Vatican. No idea how true it is.
    He went because of his handling of child abuse claims. Even his strongest supporters couldn’t defend his past decisions as he climbed the greasy pole to the top.

Either he went, or the Catholic Church shrivelled.
    Must be useful to have a direct psychic link.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited September 2022
    The interesting thing I always found about The Queen was that, strange as it might sound, she was supremely aware of the fact that she was The Queen.

It's difficult to explain but the protocol, the functions, the ceremonial, she was always acutely aware that she was the centre of it and made no concession to any modern mores. Not to say that she couldn't speak to dukes or dustmen but she was aware that she was Queen and all that that represented.

I am not 100% sure that Charles will have the same attitude given his exposure to a far greater time first as not King and second to a broader section of society before he became king. Those who think he will be unfit to rule are unaware of the nature of the royal family today (as opposed to, say, in 1135).

I find myself interestingly unshocked and even full of optimism at Charles' reign.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

I expect we'll hear from all the living former PMs before the end of the day, or tomorrow at the latest.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    Pro_Rata said:

Decent speech by Liz.

Interesting to see how the polls go in response

Will there be a hiatus in polling for 10 days?
    The media may decide not to publish or comission any. Techne will probably still publish as theyre italian. Redfield may poll as usual too
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

BBC probably had that ready to go, as the PM’s statement, and didn’t yet have its replacement from the new PM - who had to deliver it in person outside No.10.
  • nico679 said:

His statement would always be better written than Truss.

BBC reading what seems to be the speech that Boris had ready to go…

The Boris Broadcasting Corporation.
  • Cookie said:

"Abolish them! We've had enough!" says LibDem Liz and photos of her being the last non-royal household person to touch the Queen pictures are doing good business on Facebook.

Not sure this plays out well for her.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

I think I'm right in saying only one other monarch of any of the Home Nations has been called that - Alfred of Wessex (871-899).

But I wonder if it will stick.

Johnson has used it, apparently.
    I'd go with Elizabeth the Enduring
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,122
    Leon said:

Truss did that really quite well. Day 2 of the job. Dignified without simpering

Oh good, you got back from the Empty Quarter!
    The Commonwealth has a new Head.
    Heathener said:

AlistairM said:

ydoethur said:

Well, this isn't a great speech by Truss, if I'm honest. Too many clichés and inaccuracies.

But it's being well delivered and she looks appropriately sad and dignified.

Thank you God that you didn't take Her Majesty 72 hours ago.

Did her duty to the very end. RIP HM The Queen. You were bloody brilliant.
    She wasn't entirely to be honest and much will come out in the wash. But that's one for another day.

She served indefatigably and tirelessly. Brilliant? No.
    Even if so, today is not that day.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Leon said:

I’m still on the remote Portuguese coast. I just checked in to a new hotel. The old Portuguese lady who owns the place looked at me, with sad, pale-faced shock, and said “your queen is dead!

The Colombian lady who cleans our office has also just expressed her shock and sadness
    Heathener said:

AlistairM said:

ydoethur said:

Well, this isn't a great speech by Truss, if I'm honest. Too many clichés and inaccuracies.

She wasn't entirely to be honest and much will come out in the wash. But that's one for another day.

Knew more about national history than you do, and wtf is this about stuff coming out in the wash? I think you are confusing idioms, dirty linen in public, possibly? And this is crap anyway. There is no scandal and if there were, not a chance of its emerging or being believed.
  • nico679 said:

I’m on C4News. Has completely ignored Johnson’s statement: good on them!
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022
    RIP Queenie.

Anyway, Martin Lewis just emailed;

“I'm hearing fixed tariffs will have the same per pound unit rate reduction as variable tariffs (ie, roughly 30% off). So it looks like, unless you fixed at over the new October price cap level, your fix will be cheaper than moving to variable. (More to check on this.)”

This can’t be right, surely?

My mum fixed last August for 2 years at a very cheap rate (compared to the current cap) - If Martin is right, she’ll get an extra ~30% off her (already very cheap) per kWh unit cost.

Either Martin is wrong, or, more alarmingly, he’s right - and the policy is utterly absurd.

Leon said:

She was arguably the most famous person in the world.
  • Truss did a tough job well. No lines fluffed. More convinced than ever that the Queen held on to make sure it wasn’t Johnson.

An unwanted Great Britain crept in but otherwise the Prime Minister's statement was fine, if not memorable.
    ping said:

RIP Queenie.

Anyway, Martin Lewis just emailed;

“I'm hearing fixed tariffs will have the same per pound unit rate reduction as variable tariffs (ie, roughly 30% off). So it looks like, unless you fixed at over the new October price cap level, your fix will be cheaper than moving to variable. (More to check on this.)”

This can’t be right, surely?

My mum fixed last August for 2 years at a very cheap rate (compared to the current cap) - If Martin is right, she’ll get an extra ~30% off her already very cheap per kWh unit cost.

Either Martin is wrong, or, more alarmingly, he’s right - and the policy is utterly absurd.

Unusual for him to be wrong.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022

Cookie said:

"Abolish them! We've had enough!" says LibDem Liz and photos of her being the last non-royal household person to touch the Queen pictures are doing good business on Facebook.

Yuck.
    nico679 said:

Yesterday's man, moving on...
  • Welcome back @Heathener I’m erh a new user but a big fan
  • The queen’s death brings a moment of reckoning for Britain.

LONDON — The death of Queen Elizabeth II, which Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday, is a watershed moment for Britain, at once incomparable and incalculable.

It marks both the loss of a revered monarch — the only one most Britons have ever known — and the end of a figure who served as a living link to the glories of World War II Britain, presided over its fitful adjustment to a post-colonial, post-imperial era and saw it through its bitter divorce from the European Union.

There is no analogous public figure who will have been mourned as deeply in Britain — Winston Churchill might come closest — or whose death could provoke a greater reckoning with the identity and future of the country. Elizabeth’s extraordinary longevity lent her an air of permanence that makes her death, even at an advanced age, somehow shocking.

NY Times

edited September 2022

Leon said:

It’s the biggest news story of this century so far. Only 9/11 is close - ironically, the 21st anniversary of which is on Sunday.
  • It is entirely possible that the Queen effectively held out until Boris was safely dispatched.
    Thank god it wasnt 2 years from now and Trump paying tribute as President.
  • Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Yep, or most certainly in the discussion.
    TOPPING said:

The interesting thing I always found about The Queen was that, strange as it might sound, she was supremely aware of the fact that she was The Queen.

It's difficult to explain but the protocol, the functions, the ceremonial, she was always acutely aware that she was the centre of it and made no concession to any modern mores. Not to say that she couldn't speak to dukes or dustmen but she was aware that she was Queen and all that that represented.

I am not 100% sure that Charles will have the same attitude given his exposure to a far greater time first as not King and second to a broader section of society before he became king. Those who think he will be unfit to rule are unaware of the nature of the royal family today (as opposed to, say, in 1135).

I find myself interestingly unshocked and even full of optimism at Charles' reign.

The conviction of royal exceptionalism lives on, in Andrew. I agree I think Charles doesn't have it, and a good thing too.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Cookie said:

Perhaps Truss judged that an effusive, gushing tribute would look foolish in the light of her past. And she would be correct.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Everyone knows I loathe Johnson but his statement encapsulated superbly what many people feel about the Queen .

So credit to him for that .
  • Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?

End of October.

I’m on holiday at the start of October.
    Driver said:

Leon said:

She was about the only person with enough presence and prestige to control Donald Trump for a few hours.

Dare I ask if Mike is on holiday?

TSE is in charge. Don't worry nothing will happen.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

It’s the biggest news story of this century so far. Only 9/11 is close - ironically, the 21st anniversary of which is on Saturday.
    Sunday is the anniversary
  • TOPPING said:

Me too. Edward VIII came to the throne as an old man (and a dirty old fornicator) and was a very popular Monarch. I think Charles will be fine.
  • Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

I assume William becomes the Prince of Wales with an investiture to take place at Caernarfon Castle

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

It’s the biggest news story of this century so far. Only 9/11 is close - ironically, the 21st anniversary of which is on Saturday.
    Sunday is the anniversary
    I can’t count!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,729
    Statement on the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1567945795281772548/photo/1
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2022
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

It’s the biggest news story of this century so far. Only 9/11 is close.
    I suspect 9/11 pips it, for being entirely unexpected for starters.

Otherwise, I guess you’re right.

For me, I feel a wrenching away of childhood memories, not of course that I knew her, but of the relentless iconography - the stamps, the notes, the photo on the ministry wall - that make up the backdrop of youth and are thereby emotionally charged.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    IshmaelZ said:

My wife has just described Truss's contribution as "robotic, without any sense of feeling or nuance - the content was passable, but delivered as if reading a script that meant little to her". I agreed.

Good. She is reading it as part of her job, not as a film audition. Anything, anything but the ghastly theatrics of Blair over Di.

btw she said HMQ was the embodiment of Great Britain. Awks in the circs.
    Truss called the new monarch "Charles III".
  • Scott_xP said:

Statement on the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1567945795281772548/photo/1

That's good as well.
    MISTY said:

Cookie said:

Perhaps Truss judged that an effusive, gushing tribute would look foolish in the light of her past. And she would be correct.
    And she had to give her statement on camera, unlike all the other tributes we're hearing now. She kept it short, and "the rock on which modern Britain was built" absolutely hit the right note.
  • Starmer is better than Truss at this.

Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

I assume William becomes the Prince of Wales with an investiture to take place at Caernarfon Castle

Will be interesting to see if they go for Caernarfon or Cardiff for the investiture.

Caernarfon is more spectacular and historic, but Cardiff is much more definitely the capital now than it was in 1969.

TOPPING said:

Me too. Edward VIII came to the throne as an old man (and a dirty old fornicator) and was a very popular Monarch. I think Charles will be fine.
    One I over the line, sweet Jesus
    Scott_xP said:

Well judged, and dignified, but not emotional. Rather typical of her.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

It is entirely possible that the Queen effectively held out until Boris was safely dispatched.

Many have said this. It is, of course, bollocks. She would have found the idea of engaging with politics in that way reprehensible.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

Heathener said:

AlistairM said:

ydoethur said:

Even if so, today is not that day.
    Yes. “Today is not the day for a little dig but here’s my little dig anyway”

FFS

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

A seminal moment indeed. Good to hear you escaped the sun.
  • biggles said:

It is entirely possible that the Queen effectively held out until Boris was safely dispatched.

Many have said this. It is, of course, bollocks. She would have found the idea of engaging with politics in that way reprehensible.
    I’m really not so sure.
  • https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1567940827082547205

Keir gets the tone spot on. PM material is either leader
  • King Charles III doesn't sound nearly as weird as I expected it to.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

How are they going to blame this on Brexit?
    It's difficult to work that out yet, but a side effect of Brexit AND the Queen's passing almost certainly has been Leon's fate at the hands of the laughing German he planned to assault earlier.
  • It does feel like something more than a person has gone. Something indefinable but sort of knowable has left us. We’ll not get it back.

In the history books of the future the final few words of a major chapter have just been written.
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

My wife has just described Truss's contribution as "robotic, without any sense of feeling or nuance - the content was passable, but delivered as if reading a script that meant little to her". I agreed.

Good. She is reading it as part of her job, not as a film audition. Anything, anything but the ghastly theatrics of Blair over Di.

btw she said HMQ was the embodiment of Great Britain. Awks in the circs.
    Truss called the new monarch "Charles III".
    Yes, I have been telling people here for years that nothing else was possible.

I have a variant of Cassandra syndrome: all my predictions are entirely correct unless I have money on them.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    I confess I am somewhat glad to be abroad so as to avoid some of the frenzied grief

Events happen in politics and I doubt anyone expected an event of this magnitude to suddenly raise Truss's profile throughout the country and not only to the funeral but the coronation which will take place in her time in office

I am not sure this is the black swan you are looking for.

Truss defeating Putin might be just the ticket mind.
  • I don’t think William automatically becomes Prince of Wales, does he?

I assume the title is currently in abeyance.

It does feel like something more than a person has gone. Something indefinable but sort of knowable has left us. We’ll not get it back.

In the history books of the future the final few words of a major chapter have just been written.
    This is not a time for sound bites....
    JACK_W said:

Elizabeth the Dutiful? It was what her life was all about.
  • CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited September 2022

I am not sure this is the black swan you are looking for.

Truss defeating Putin might be just the ticket mind.
    Utter desperation. Raising her profile WTF remember this the next time PB Tories waver
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Excuse my wry observation, but…

On the day the government announces £150bn is going to be spent - adding six and a half percent onto the national debt IN ONE DAY……

It’s story number 14 on the BBC news site.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Oh to be a fly on the wall when Harry finally rocks up...
    Leon said:

I confess I am somewhat glad to be abroad so as to avoid some of the frenzied grief

Did you give that pesky laughing German the treatment he deserved?
  • King Charles III doesn't sound nearly as weird as I expected it to.

I've never understood why it should not be that name?
    HYUFD said:

RIP Her Majesty the Queen after a lifetime of service to our nation. One of our greatest monarchs. Thoughts and prayers too with the royal family and our new King Charles IIIrd

"King Charles IIIrd" gets you an immediate pass to the Tower, young fella.
    HYUFD said:

RIP Her Majesty the Queen after a lifetime of service to our nation. One of our greatest monarchs. Thoughts and prayers too with the royal family and our new King Charles IIIrd

Well done HY. The right tone and comment for the moment.
  • It does feel like something more than a person has gone. Something indefinable but sort of knowable has left us. We’ll not get it back.

Partly a link to the past. As has been pointed out - her PM Churchill was born in the Victorian era. There was this incredible link between eras.

HYUFD said:

Charles III ffs

I hope his first regnal act as fidei defensor will be to affirm his great forebear's statement as to the physical homosexuality of Our Lord.
    TOPPING said:

It does feel like something more than a person has gone. Something indefinable but sort of knowable has left us. We’ll not get it back.

This is not a time for sound bites....
    Yet few see this.
  • Mrs Capitano has just pointed out I'm going to have to intone "O Lord, save the King" at our next rehearsal for Choral Evensong. That is going to take some getting used to.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

It is officially King Charles III, according to ?Clarence House?

I'm unsurprised. The Queen named him Charles knowing the precedents. Why would he change it?

And as I haven't said it yet: RIP HMQ. I'm trying to do other things to avoid thinking about it.

Another dumb PB shibboleth bites the dust. The ludicrous idea he’d be King George or some other bollocks, which we were assured of by the royal watchers on here, has been blown apart.

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Aalsmeer Flower Auction going to be interesting tomorrow.
  • Well said HY

I don’t think William automatically becomes Prince of Wales, does he?

I assume the title is currently in abeyance.

It has to be recreated.

All Charles' other titles now fall. Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Carrick and Earl of Merioneth all now cease to exist and can be awarded to others by a new creation.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Driver said:

I expect we'll hear from all the living former PMs before the end of the day, or tomorrow at the latest.
    Theresa May on radio now.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

Cookie said:

Truss tone and content was just right for the occasion
    She was awful. Boris would have been better.

• Long live the King!

King Charles III doesn't sound nearly as weird as I expected it to.

I've never understood why it should not be that name?
    Because both ruled without Parliament with distinctly mixed results.

It was suggested he was concerned people might think he would be too meddlesome anyway.
    Sturgeon showing everyone how its done
  • My Queen anecdote (apart from seeing the top of her hat at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party).

Newcastle Races. The bar - floor swimming with beer and fag ends. The Boys Brigade standing about with a length of plastic chain link fence lying on the floor. When the Queen arrived the boys picked up the fence and took a step back to form a narrow passage for the Queen through the throng to the box. Later, when I was carrying drinks from the bar I got a tap on my shoulder “Step back please, the Queen would like to pass”

And she did, right in front of me, on her way to inspect the horses. Amazing blue eyes.

Mrs Capitano has just pointed out I'm going to have to intone "O Lord, save the King" at our next rehearsal for Choral Evensong. That is going to take some getting used to.

Bollocks, so am I. And it's not that far away.

As well you mentioned it.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Leon said:

Just been for a walk.
    Absolutely nobody around even though it's stopped raining for the first time today.
This discussion has been closed.