Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer has better than a 56% chance of being PM after the next election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageStarmer has better than a 56% chance of being PM after the next election – politicalbetting.com

These are the market rules:

Read the full story here

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited August 2022
    What if Bozza returns?

First like Johnson in 2024.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    I just heard a loud bang. It seemed to emanate from the general direction of Chesterfield.
  • A tiny move back to Rishi but still 20/1 vs 1/20.

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    21 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    21 Rishi Sunak 5%
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    edited August 2022
    OT FPT re uphill gardening - some folk do mean it in the literal sense. Must be confusing.

https://www.instructables.com/Uphill-Gardening/

Though I do wonder about this - and who might be sending it to whom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Preferred-Uphill-Gardening-greeting/dp/B00NWVTLWM
  • More 1922 genius. Final hustings 7-9pm Wednesday. Ballot closes Friday.

Anyone attending the London hustings needs to put a first class stamp on their vote Thursday morning.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Perhaps wait a week and see what Starmer's next PM odds look like? Might be longer because of backers of a tory replacement for lizzie before next GE. So if you think that unlikely...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited August 2022

A tiny move back to Rishi but still 20/1 vs 1/20.

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    21 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    21 Rishi Sunak 5%

Surely everybody made up their mind and voted weeks ago?
    What is the point of this extended charade?
    Everyone's known the winner for at least a month now.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

FPT for @Tres

That photo is something I created with Stable Diffusion, a new image-making AI very like Dalle-2. Unlike Dalle-2 they are just handing out access, tho you have to pay after a few freebies (not as much as you do for Dalle-2, mind)

The possibilities are boundless, but I am concentrating on synthesised photos and the opportunities for making nightmarish images. StabDiff seems quite good at this (better than Dalle-2, perhaps)

This afternoon I've been riffing on the prompt "a photo of a screaming albino girl possessed by a demon" - putting her in various places and times, and with different photographic styles, genres, etc

As you can see you can get some pretty impressive results. Scary and striking. I am convinced this tech will be enormously useful to film makers. And maybe novelists who fancy a few illustrations

But maybe the most impressive thing is that the makers of Stable Diffusion created it with just $600,000
  • OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    So the Poundshop Margaret Thatcher is also frit.
    I promise not to flood PB with hideous images
    That rounds to over 100%.
    There'd be some value in AN Other.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

I can't decide if these are more or less nightmarish than Boris sucking a rabbit.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    ydoethur said:

I just heard a loud bang. It seemed to emanate from the general direction of Chesterfield.

The long expected Ukrainian counteroffensive?
  • Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

That photo is something I created with Stable Diffusion, a new image-making AI very like Dalle-2. Unlike Dalle-2 they are just handing out access, tho you have to pay after a few freebies (not as much as you do for Dalle-2, mind)

The possibilities are boundless, but I am concentrating on synthesised photos and the opportunities for making nightmarish images. StabDiff seems quite good at this (better than Dalle-2, perhaps)

This afternoon I've been riffing on the prompt "a photo of a screaming albino girl possessed by a demon" - putting her in various places and times, and with different photographic styles, genres, etc

As you can see you can get some pretty impressive results. Scary and striking. I am convinced this tech will be enormously useful to film makers. And maybe novelists who fancy a few illustrations

But maybe the most impressive thing is that the makers of Stable Diffusion created it with just $600,000

To be honest those are the most disturbing posts I have ever seen on this forum

Are they really necessary ?

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

I agree they are repulsive and frightening, and I promise not to do it again. But they do exhibit the enormous power of this new AI tech. Anyone can now be a brilliant horror photographer/filmmaker

And remember the photos are fake. Those are not real children. They do not exist
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited August 2022
    @Leon I got Dalle 1 access today. I asked it for "A middle aged travel journalist on a balcony in the centre of an ancient city, writing about politics on his laptop, while fearing the modern woke world". It didn't want to give me anything with dildo in the request, so I had to "merge" "you" "and" "SeanT"

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Most disturbing posts?
    Pictures maybe.
    That 2nd photo of the screaming girl is fucking iconic

And I've only had access for 1 day, and this machine is just 6 days old
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Most disturbing posts?
    Pictures maybe.
    I am sure you know what I mean and I just do not think it is necessary to post images like these
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,699

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

They look like second rate horror movie stuff to me.
    edited August 2022

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Most disturbing posts?
    Pictures maybe.
    I am sure you know what I mean and I just do not think it is necessary to post images like these
    I promise not to do it again!

But aren't you intrigued that anyone can make images as powerful as this? In a few seconds (or a few hours of honing a prompt)?

To explain the power I had to post the images
  • Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

What is really terrifying is that the demon possessing them is WOKE
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

I agree they are repulsive and frightening, and I promise not to do it again. But they do exhibit the enormous power of this new AI tech. Anyone can now be a brilliant horror photographer/filmmaker

And remember the photos are fake. Those are not real children. They do not exist
    The problem is I have two grandchildren of a similar age and they instantly repulsed me

I have seen all kinds of things in my lifetime, not least images I was shown when I was in the police, so I am not easily upset but these went too far for me
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Well yes: once you know how Dalle-type systems work, it isn't particularly complex to roll your own.

I was thinking of doing a blog where I build one from scratch. And then I realised that I am not endowed with infinite time
  • Taz said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Not to me
    dixiedean said:
    Baker says:

Some schools are bound to go in the red.

In this he is completely wrong.

All schools are already in the red.

This will just make matters worse.

Hope your DBS is now sorted, btw, but I wonder whether schools will be able to afford supply teachers.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Taz said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

They are screaming in rage and fury at their energy bills.
  • Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Most disturbing posts?
    Pictures maybe.
    I promise not to do it again!

But aren't you intrigued that anyone can make images as powerful as this? In a few seconds (or a few hours of honing a prompt)?

To explain the power I had to post the images
    I would appreciate it especially these days when children are suffering such horrors in war-torn Ukraine and elsewhere
    rcs1000 said:

There is now a temporary moratorium on AI generated images. Images will be deleted if posted. Repeat offenders will be packed off to join the Russian forces in Kherson.

You would Dnieper do that.
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

There is now a temporary moratorium on AI generated images. Images will be deleted if posted. Repeat offenders will be packed off to join the Russian forces in Kherson.

You might want to add 'and purported AI' to that, just to preempt the usual barrackroom lawyers ...
  • My Dad walks his black lab early every morning on the golf course wearing his flat cap. He’s been friends since his school days with an artist called Eileen Cooper, who was Keeper of the Royal Academy recently.

I asked it for “A painting of a man in a flat cap walking his black Labrador on the golf course early in the morning, as if painted by Eileen Cooper"

My parents can't believe that a computer made this in a few seconds

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

The problem is I have two grandchildren of a similar age and they instantly repulsed me

I have seen all kinds of things in my lifetime, not least images I was shown when I was in the police, so I am not easily upset but these went too far for me
    Didnae ken ye wuz the polis. Respect.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

Didnae ken ye wuz the polis. Respect.
    Actually Edinburgh City Police

My Dad walks his black lab early every morning on the golf course wearing his flat cap. He’s been friends since his school days with an artist called Eileen Cooper, who was Keeper of the Royal Academy recently.

I asked it for “A painting of a man in a flat cap walking his black Labrador on the golf course early in the morning, as if painted by Eileen Cooper"

I will forgive you on the assumption you hadn't seen my post.

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

Is it bad that I feel a certain pride? I did spend several hours honing the prompt, until the machine started to cough up obscenely unpleasant pictures like that

The pivotal moment was when I introduced the word "albino": that seemed to put the machine in a darker mood, because of unhappy associations with the word "albino", no doubt (loneliness, fear, deformation, death). At that point everything went up by several notches of horror

The machine is the visual subconscious of all humanity, and the human psyche is often dark

I won't do it again

My Dad walks his black lab early every morning on the golf course wearing his flat cap. He’s been friends since his school days with an artist called Eileen Cooper, who was Keeper of the Royal Academy recently.

The AI is obvs not well up on the etiquette of labrador walking on golf courses. Across the putting bit?!
  • rcs1000 said:

Sorry. Missed that!
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

Is it bad that I feel a certain pride? I did spend several hours honing the prompt, until the machine started to cough up obscenely unpleasant pictures like that

The pivotal moment was when I introduced the word "albino": that seemed to put the machine in a darker mood, because of unhappy associations with the word "albino", no doubt (loneliness, fear, deformation, death). At that point everything went up by several notches of horror

The machine is the visual subconscious of all humanity, and the human psyche is often dark

I won't do it again
    Thank you
    rcs1000 said:

Noted

I won't repeat!

Those images shocked ME as the machine coughed them out. Ugh!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Noted

I won't repeat!

Those images shocked ME as the machine coughed them out. Ugh!
    It has been said before, and it will be said again: you are easily shocked.

I'm expecting you to take up in the morning, open the curtains, and ejaculate in amazement at that strange yellow orb in the sky...
  • Can we get an AI to stand in as interviewee for this?

Liz Truss has cancelled her BBC One interview with Nick Robinson which was due to air this Tuesday evening (30th August) at 7pm. Ms Truss’ team say she can no longer spare the time to appear on “Our Next Prime Minister”.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1564281776821993472

Utterly unsurprising, but saddening as well.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Carnyx said:

The AI is obvs not well up on the etiquette of labrador walking on golf courses. Across the putting bit?!
    It doesn't look like a putter in the golfer's hand.
  • rcs1000 said:

I will forgive you on the assumption you hadn't seen my post.

I'm disappointed not to be able to show you what it returns for "A strict blog moderator getting annoyed by people posting Dall-E images on his blog and so banning them"

Carnyx said:

It doesn't look like a putter in the golfer's hand.
    The grass is pale and round, ergo the bit where they aim for. It's a walking stick and hole. (Or stick and doggie no 2.)
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

Can we get an AI to stand in as interviewee for this?

Liz Truss has cancelled her BBC One interview with Nick Robinson which was due to air this Tuesday evening (30th August) at 7pm. Ms Truss’ team say she can no longer spare the time to appear on “Our Next Prime Minister”.

To be fair, watching it would have been as painful as pulling Toenails. Only a masochist would want to watch - but not appear.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    On topic duzzy fook.
    O/T but I went to my first wedding since covid this weekend. Last was 21st December 2019 when covid was just a crazy disease in a corner of China.

It was the largest social gathering I’ve been at since covid with 160 guests and whilst fun and lovely in some ways I definitely didn’t enjoy it like I used to enjoy weddings.

I think that the social realities of the last couple of years made me more insular. I want remotely bothered about covid but didn’t enjoy being around loads of people because I realised I didn’t actually want to be around any of those people during covid apart from about ten of them. It’s sort of like the curtain being pulled back on the wizard of Oz that is social groups.

Close friends are great but I wonder if other PB’ers have found that they had a lot of social acquaintances that covid has shown to be completely superfluous or am I just now a grumpy antisocial bastard?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "Elon Musk says 'civilisation would crumble' if sourcing oil and gas in the short term suddenly stops
    The world's richest person also warned of a challenge over the birth rate, claiming we must "make more babies" or "we will die with a whimper in adult diapers"."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-says-civilisation-would-crumble-if-sourcing-oil-and-gas-in-the-short-term-suddenly-stops-12684700
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    How pathetic . The Maggie clone running away from scrutiny . Spineless and so predictable !
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

Pathetic.

On topic duzzy fook.

That's not a nice thing to say about OGH.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

Similar to Johnson in her unwillingness to face press scrutiny. Depressing.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    dixiedean said:
    Not for the posh kids though so who cares eh?
  • I'm drinking a delicious Californian red - Parker Station Pinot Noir 2019

It's only £14 a bottle, which is pretty good for a decent Californian pinot

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/parker-station-pinot-noir-2019
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,552
    (FPT)

BigRich said:

According to a Russian source:

@yarotrof
    The most prominent collaborator assassinated since the Russian invasion : Aleksey Kovalyov, a Ukrainian lawmaker from Zelensky’s party who switched sides to become deputy head of the Russian administration in Kherson, overseeing grain theft, has been gunned down in his home.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1564261285243432960

Not sad to here that, but I don't know exactly how legal theses assassinations are.
    That's a really interesting question. I doubt many people would argue that Reinhard Heydrich was not worthy of assassination (leaving aside Germany's hideous reprisals), but are quislings making themselves parties to the war, and therefore combatants? That's a really thorny issue IMO, especially when the definition of 'quisling' is expanded.
    There’s some not very useful discussion here:
    https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/assets/files/other/law9_final.pdf

And some more, here:
    http://opiniojuris.org/2015/11/09/guest-post-is-the-execution-of-collaborators-a-war-crime-under-the-rome-statute-part-i/

This is also relevant:
    https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_rul_rule6

None of this is really of use in considering the current situation, though.
    The Russian invasion is illegal; as occupiers, they have not followed the international laws (such as they are) covering the conduct of occupying armies.
    And I think there are very few, if any cases of members if resistances being prosecuted after their countries have been liberated.
    Should the Russians capture them in the meantime, it is almost certain that the conventions regarding the trial and punishment of civilian resistors will not be followed.

Andy_JS said:

"Elon Musk says 'civilisation would crumble' if sourcing oil and gas in the short term suddenly stops
    The world's richest person also warned of a challenge over the birth rate, claiming we must "make more babies" or "we will die with a whimper in adult diapers"."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-says-civilisation-would-crumble-if-sourcing-oil-and-gas-in-the-short-term-suddenly-stops-12684700

(1) "Sourcing oil and gas" - I presume he means prospecting for. And there is literally no chance that "sourcing" oil and gas stops. Not least because oil & gas have many, many uses.

(2) He's not wrong about birth rates. And I think it's great that he's persuaded so many people to have his kids.

dixiedean said:
    Oh yeah? I wonder how private schools will fare with these new energy bills?

Especially the wealthiest ones which tend to be in, shall we say, less than well insulated buildings?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Similar to Johnson in her unwillingness to face press scrutiny. Depressing.
    Continuity.

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Especially the wealthiest ones which tend to be in, shall we say, less than well insulated buildings?
    What about some energy related school fee tax breaks for parents?
    This really is the end of art as we know it. Turns out DALLE-2 was just a vague premonition
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

I don't like this either - though I don't watch any of this stuff, there being better things to do.

But two points. ATM Liz Truss is trying to win an election. She has only to consider the best tactics with regard to that electorate. What would make her think that an interview with Nick Robinson will help in this?

Secondly, and more widely, PMs and all leaders (as she aspires to be) are accountable to voters and parliament. To the voters PM Truss will issue a manifesto in due course. To parliament she will be accountable daily. Each day they can bring her reign to an end if they wish.

The media don't want us to think this but all other media activity for leaders is public relations and advertising, not accountability.

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    ydoethur said:

On topic duzzy fook.

Fuzzy duck I meant!

I'm drinking a delicious Californian red - Parker Station Pinot Noir 2019

Ordered 2 bottles innit I do like this free delivery thing
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

It will be interesting- at my old place it could be bloody cold in the winter. Medieval buildings up to Victorian buildings with single glazing and basic hot water pipes in the classrooms - the only warm places were science school and art school!

Our boarding house was suitably mid Victorian neo-gothic with beautiful windows that never really seemed to fit the frames allowing the cold air to fall into your bed in your dormitory.

Has given me conniptions when kids complain about the weather and warmth in classrooms as “we dealt with it - get on with it” but not nice all the same. But character building in character buildings.

ydoethur said:

On topic duzzy fook.

Fuzzy duck I meant!
    How have we suddenly got onto Welsh politics and the Almighty Drake?

Or just get it to stand in as PM? Hard to imagine it would be much worse than Truss will be.
  • IshmaelZ said:

I'm drinking a delicious Californian red - Parker Station Pinot Noir 2019

Ordered 2 bottles innit I do like this free delivery thing
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I am
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

More 1922 genius. Final hustings 7-9pm Wednesday. Ballot closes Friday.

Anyone attending the London hustings needs to put a first class stamp on their vote Thursday morning.

Or they can vote online.
    Leon said:

This really is the end of art as we know it. Turns out DALLE-2 was just a vague premonition

I see you've managed to buck the system by posting a troubling Dalle image as your avatar.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

(1) "Sourcing oil and gas" - I presume he means prospecting for. And there is literally no chance that "sourcing" oil and gas stops. Not least because oil & gas have many, many uses.

(2) He's not wrong about birth rates. And I think it's great that he's persuaded so many people to have his kids.
    He's completely wrong about birth rates. There are too many humans about already. If we want to have some chance of not completely wrecking the planet then a fairly lengthy period of global population decline would be welcome.

Leon said:

I see you've managed to buck the system by posting a troubling Dalle image as your avatar.
    To be fair I think I looked like that most of Sunday - less albino but horrifying all the same.
  • Now that picture creations of AI have been banned, we can explain the cancellation of the Liz Truss interview. She isn't real, merely the figment of a Leon-like deranged imagination saying "Dall-E please create for me a picture of a bondage queen cosplayer masquerading as a one-dimensional political caricature."
  • OldBasing said:

So the Poundshop Margaret Thatcher is also frit.

Poundshop Theresa May

Leon said:

I couldn’t resist. Because it really looks like me. I was quite a rambunctious child

I met Ted Hughes In his later years and, flatteringly, he remembered me as a child because - as he put it - you ‘were a very noisy boy’
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,866
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

The main risk of civilization crumbling comes from failure to find sufficient alternatives to oil and gas in good time. They are called fossil fuels for a reason. Our squandering over the past few decades of these precious but environmentally damaging treasures, while only half-heartedly seeking alternatives, has been quite reckless.

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

They are not nearly as disturbing as discovery that @Leon has been paying for the Dalle2 crap he has been inundating us with.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

They are not nearly as disturbing as discovery that @Leon has been paying for the Dalle2 crap he has been inundating us with.
    Stable Diffusion, darling. Dalle-2 is SO passé. Eww
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    On the topic; betting on the next PM as opposed to next government has obvious dangers.

Anyway to work it out, if the Tories (net) lose more than about 50 seats they are probably finished. And it makes no difference who they lose them to.

Of course there is a big area in which the outcome is confused etc, but few will help the Tories stay in.

Labour (and for now SKS) lead if the Tories don't. Obvious.

If Truss wins next week (she will) then the Tories chances diminish, as she is probably useless, but with a small chance of being the nation's next Mrs T. (I doubt it).

Labour look to me about 60/40 to form the next government.

Except for one thing. There is a significant chance (look at the rules) that after a confused election the Tories will be asked to try to form the next government but quickly fail.

That makes it to me about 56/44 Labour. Add in the chance that SKS for some reason is not leader at the next election, and the Smarket market is close but not quite on the bullseye.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Someone asked!

"I have two grandchildren of a similar age and they instantly repulsed me"

Whatever you do, don't tell the parents. No matter how ugly the offspring, the parents always take offence.
    :lol:

Post of the day.

Not fond of the images either mind.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    algarkirk said:

I don't like this either - though I don't watch any of this stuff, there being better things to do.

But two points. ATM Liz Truss is trying to win an election. She has only to consider the best tactics with regard to that electorate. What would make her think that an interview with Nick Robinson will help in this?

Secondly, and more widely, PMs and all leaders (as she aspires to be) are accountable to voters and parliament. To the voters PM Truss will issue a manifesto in due course. To parliament she will be accountable daily. Each day they can bring her reign to an end if they wish.

The media don't want us to think this but all other media activity for leaders is public relations and advertising, not accountability.

So why did she agree to do it in the first place? That's the point. I don't care whether Truss is interviewed by Robinson or not. But I understand she made a commitment, along with Sunak, to do it. So she should have done it.
    pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He's completely wrong about birth rates. There are too many humans about already. If we want to have some chance of not completely wrecking the planet then a fairly lengthy period of global population decline would be welcome.
    Utter nonsense.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,552
    Leon said:

You’ve been doing that for years.
    But at least stop posting the pictures.
    rcs1000 said:

Drat.

I was just about to enter 'Radiohead eating pineapple topped pizza in the style of Dali' into one of these infernal machines.

pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He's really not:

The reality is that birth rates are already below replacement in most countries.

The next problem - and it's going to be a big problem - is how you persuade a small number of workers to pay for a large number of retirees.
    DavidL said:

Or they can vote online.
    Given the average age of a Conservative party member, they'd probably interpret "vote online" as "go to the post office and send a telegram."
    algarkirk said:

Hopefully she genuinely doesn't have time. I want her to be knee deep in paperwork, takeaway pizzas, white-boards, laptops etc. with her core team, charting a brilliant course through the mess that will surprise and delight us all.
  • Quite the story in Russia yesterday

@Euan_MacDonald
    Russian media say 65-year-old Elena Belova, who set fire to a Russian military official's car in Moscow, was kidnapped by Ukrainian special forces, hypnotized and taught by them how to burn cars.

An absurd fairy tale to mask public opposition to the Kremlin's war on Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1563886850984509442
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

He's really not:

The reality is that birth rates are already below replacement in most countries.

The next problem - and it's going to be a big problem - is how you persuade a small number of workers to pay for a large number of retirees.
    It's not half as much a problem as what would happen next if people started breeding like bunnies again.

The inversion of the demographic pyramid is a very painful phenomenon but we're going to have to live through it at some point, so we might as well get it over with rather than trying to pump more babies into the population Ponzi scheme. This will end up involving the old paying for their own upkeep, through some combination of having to give up their wealth and working until they are completely physically incapable - because they can vote for inflation busting pension increases but they can't vote to make what's left of the working age population any more productive. It's just a matter of time.

Quite the story in Russia yesterday

@Euan_MacDonald
    Russian media say 65-year-old Elena Belova, who set fire to a Russian military official's car in Moscow, was kidnapped by Ukrainian special forces, hypnotized and taught by them how to burn cars.

This kind of example should be shown to every American.

This is where you end up when you start to collectively deny that there is something called the truth that exists and instead replace it with made up shit like, erm, Trump won the GE in 2020 and the vote was rigged.

@Euan_MacDonald

“Look into my spies, look in my spies not around the spies, now you are under. You are going to turn from a random grandma into a Ukrainian operative when I count to four. 1,2,3,4 your back in the room, go burn some cars.”
  • TresTres Posts: 2,159
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

FPT for @Tres

Stable Diffusion, darling. Dalle-2 is SO passé. Eww
    Reminds me of an Aphex Twin video.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

You’ve been doing that for years.
    But at least stop posting the pictures.
    Can we go back to the lunches on sun-dappled terraces in places in the Balkans please?
  • algarkirk said:

Tactically, fair enough. All she has to do to win now is Not Stuff Up. And this interview is an opportunity to Stuff Up, so should be avoided. Fair enough.

But there's also the leading the nation aspect. Telling the people of the UK what she plans and why is a part of making her plans work. For better or worse, the BBC is the biggest way to do this. And she's decided not to bother.

And if she really can't spare time to do this, that speaks volumes, in a bad way, about her time management.
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Or they can vote online.
    Given the average age of a Conservative party member, they'd probably interpret "vote online" as "go to the post office and send a telegram."
    I think that is a tad unfair, not least to our gracious host. ( Not that I am suggesting that he is a Tory, of course, despite his age).

@Euan_MacDonald

F***. No wonder the Ukrainians are winning.

pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Utter nonsense.
    What is the limit on the number of people that Earth can support? 10 billion? 20 billion? A trillion?

The planet is already substantially ecologically denuded and the situation continues to deteriorate. This is entirely the fault of human beings. Quite how things would be worse if men tied a knot in it after the first kid and kept doing so until there were only about three billion of us left I don't know. That would only take the world population back to where it was circa 1960. Civilization would continue. It'd have a much better chance of continuing than under the course apparently advocated by Mr Musk.
This discussion has been closed.