Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some stark front pages this Saturday morning – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    rcs1000 said:

It seems John Redwood is looking for answers to the Winter crisis from his blog commentors - perhaps if he joins the Government they may filter through!

'The immediate need is a further package of measures to cut the cost of energy by reducing energy taxes, and to provide some offset to the loss of spending power from the increase in gas and electricity prices. It needs to ensure those on low incomes are looked after. What would you like to see in that announcement?'
    https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2022/08/27/paying-for-energy/#comments

This is Reform UK's Winter policy, and I think it's probably the nearest to my own thoughts for now:

Full policy deck here: https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/08/25/the-reform-partys-emergency-energy-plan/
    If you want to minimize future UK oil and gas production, that is definitely the way to go.
    I don't want to do that. But the effect of prices at the projected level is that many will not be able to pay. That means no money for these companies. They are expecting the Government to step in and prevent that with a subsidy - that isn't the free market in operation is it?

Can you also tell me why renewable electricity providers, whose raw material has not increased in price, should be riding the gas price and charging consumers such excessive prices, and again, expecting the Government to make up the shortfall.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    CatMan said:
    Richard Caring is not a billionaire. Caprice Group Holdings is worth maybe £350m, and I don't think he owns all of the equity.

Now: is he very rich, and does he not need to worry about money? Yes. But he's not a billionaire.

Put it like this - if he has to fly private, he charters.

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Just seen the Liverpool score, wow.

But what a shame the fixture wasn't televised.

Old grievance but it pisses me off royally the amount it costs in this country to have a Sports subscription, and we don't get all the fixtures, but people who pirate or people overseas do while not paying what we pay.

Missing games like this almost makes me tempted to cancel the sports subscription and find alternative means so can watch every game.

It really ought to be sorted out.

Yes, I could have watched it in my local pub this afternoon.

The 3pm blackout is somewhat anachronistic in the modern era, and they’re never going to be able stop the streams shown live in the rest of the world.
    Would decimate non-league football though.
    Just been to an FA Vase game.
    Unlikely I would have done so had there been a choice of a handful of PL games on TV.
    The simple alternative is to not have any PL games played during the blackout window, and to simultaneously broadcast multiple PL games at other times.

The problem is the PL insists upon only showing 1 fixture on TV at a time, why not have a choice? Why only have Arsenal v Fulham on now?

You could have all 10 fixtures a weekend televised by showing no more than 2 at a time - and many pubs are capable of showing 2 different channels at the same time (often used for Champions League etc), so many pubs then would be capable of legally showing every single PL game, without ever breaching the blackout window.

The Champions League is capable of having 2 games featuring English teams playing simultaneously with every single game televised, so why can't the PL?
    Would it really decimate lower league attendance?

Little League Baseball in the US seems to survive the fact that the Dodgers, Red Socks, etc have televised games on at the same time they play.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,304
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:
    Richard Caring is not a billionaire. Caprice Group Holdings is worth maybe £350m, and I don't think he owns all of the equity.

Now: is he very rich, and does he not need to worry about money? Yes. But he's not a billionaire.

Put it like this - if he has to fly private, he charters.
    Yeah. My mate has an actual private jet. Brand new. Ridiculous. He cut a cheque for $57m to pay for it

THAT is serious money. Also quite vulgar. He showed me a photo of his bathroom today. Lol

And he almost refused to pay for my single lunchtime glass of white wine (£7) on the grounds of “principle”. He’s been sober 20 years, you see. However I suspect a tiny bit of him wanted to save that £7, and he was using his sobriety as a flimsy excuse for pathological mean-ness
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

A cheeky Nortje wicket means only one more needed.

As someone said the other day: Nortje, Nortje, Verrynne, Nortje.
    I have it on good authority it was a philosopher who said that.
    Can someone explain this joke to me? I’m feeling stupid and excluded
    The first lines of Ebeneezer Goode, by The Shamen.

Which definitely wasn’t about the joys of drug taking.

Video features a recently in the news controversial comedian. https://youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk
    I thought it was about the joys of carrying around some kind of Psion PDA?

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

A cheeky Nortje wicket means only one more needed.

As someone said the other day: Nortje, Nortje, Verrynne, Nortje.
    I have it on good authority it was a philosopher who said that.
    Can someone explain this joke to me? I’m feeling stupid and excluded
    The first lines of Ebeneezer Goode, by The Shamen.

Which definitely wasn’t about the joys of drug taking.

Video features a recently in the news controversial comedian. https://youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk
    I've just rewatched that video, and it features what appears to be a Psion 5 and a (by modern standards) ludicrously large 'mobile' phone.

Tech has changed much more than music...
    It can't be a Psion 5, because that wasn't released until 1997.

My money is on it being the Atari Portfolio.
This discussion has been closed.