Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Betting on a Tory poll lead in September – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,073

Two whole threads about which miniscule fragments of Ye Olde Ingerland are slightly less ghastly than the rest.

PB at it’s parochial best.

Seeing English people happy just drives you mad doesn't it?

Only thing worse for you is happy British people.
    The English are miserable. And it is entirely self-inflicted.
    How would you know that?
  • Shots!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just arrived back in Sussex from Cornwall. Took the A30 & A35, so passed through Devon, Dorset and Hampshire.

Whilst Sussex must naturally be at the top of any list such as this, I am always impressed by Dorset. Glorious.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Two whole threads about which miniscule fragments of Ye Olde Ingerland are slightly less ghastly than the rest.

England is largely spoiled now, but at its best it was the most beautiful collaborative creation of God and man since the garden of Eden. Scotland is relatively speaking fucking useless because it doesn't do landscapes; nowhere do you look at a house or castle or cottage or village or town and marvel at how it fits the terrain and how the terrain fits it. It's got big mountains sure but there's bigger with better weather everywhere. I mean yeah the Cuillin but I can think of lots of ranges which are the Cuillin 6 times as high and 20 times as long.
    Scotland has been accused of a lot of things down the years but not having attractive landscapes is, I have to say, a new and rather brave claim.
    " Mr. Ogilvie was unlucky enough to choose for the topick of his conversation the praises of his native country. He began with saying, that there was very rich land around Edinburgh. Goldsmith, who had studied physick there, contradicted this, very untruly, with a sneering laugh. Disconcerted a little by this, Mr. Ogilvie then took a new ground, where, I suppose, he thought himself perfectly safe; for he observed, that Scotland had a great many noble wild prospects. Johnson. “I believe, Sir, you have a great many. Norway, too, has noble wild prospects; and Lapland is remarkable for prodigious noble wild prospects. But, Sir, let me tell you, the noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!” This unexpected and pointed sally produced a roar of applause. After all, however, those who admire the rude grandeur of Nature, cannot deny it to Caledonia."

Boswell, Life of Johnson or might be Tour of the Hebrides

My point was, God and man collaborated over England. Scotland looks just as it would if we had never come down from the trees. And so do a lot of other parts of the world.
    You may wish to update your view slightly, given that it was taken down when 'physick' was still a career path. There has been a fair bit of building since then.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,015

Shots!

Step away from the glass!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,538

Just look at them all, wallowing in self-inflicted misery:

Is that Leicestershire?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,373
    Important news: the final episode of Neighbours is on Channel 5 tonight at 9pm.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

IshmaelZ said:

England is largely spoiled now, but at its best it was the most beautiful collaborative creation of God and man since the garden of Eden. Scotland is relatively speaking fucking useless because it doesn't do landscapes; nowhere do you look at a house or castle or cottage or village or town and marvel at how it fits the terrain and how the terrain fits it. It's got big mountains sure but there's bigger with better weather everywhere. I mean yeah the Cuillin but I can think of lots of ranges which are the Cuillin 6 times as high and 20 times as long.
    Scotland has been accused of a lot of things down the years but not having attractive landscapes is, I have to say, a new and rather brave claim.
    Scotland has a magnificence and majesty that a lot of England lacks, but for pastoral idyll England wins hands down.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Right then. As I’m on a boringly air conditioned train to Richmond, my top ten beautiful cities

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

I'd have to put Dubrovnik in the top ten.

The foreign city I most enjoy is Naples.
    I would put both Grenada in Spain and Urbino in Italy in my top ten. Both cities where you could almost imagine you are back in medieval times

I certainly wouldn't call either Cambridge or NYC beautiful. Fascinating perhaps but not beautiful.
    Cambridge is quite beautiful, from certain angles. But it's still not a city, no matter what @ydoethur or the British government claims.

NYC is impressive, but not beautiful.
    I'm intrigued. What's your definition of a city?
    I have several requirements, which include (but are not limited to):

* Own airport with regular scheduled services
    * At least two parliamentary constituencies
    So basically - there are hardly any cities in England? Because by your logic, Worcester, Hereford, Exeter, Lichfield, Canterbury, Carlisle, Gloucester, Stoke, Derby, Truro, Chester, Lancaster, Chichester, Salisbury, Bath, Wells, are not cities - and that's without even going into detail.

And I think outside England only Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast would qualify.
    I think you've proved my point.

Can you imagine a sentence starting "Beijing, in common with other great cities like Lichfield"?

No. Me neither.
    As opposed to the many cities in the US, with populations of a handful of thousand?
    Exactly.

Hence my completely objective three criteria that I've listed.
    My definition of a city is somewhere large enough that the public transport system is so good there's no point in having a car.

Towns are places that should be big enough to support a decent public transport system, but they don't due to a lack of investment.

Rural areas are those where a decent public transport system is an impossible fantasy.
    My definition of a city is somewhere with an ancient cathedral.
    I've been itching to downgrade Coventry for some time, so this resonates with me.
    So basically, a city is whatever you decide it is, and if you decide it isn't, it isn't?
    For the record, I haven't really been itching to downgrade Coventry.

My three tests are perfectly reasonable. Frankly, small towns calling themselves cities because of some royal charter two centuries ago are like putting on ridiculous airs and graces.

Cities are cities because they matter. They need to have a combination of economic and political pull; they need - for want of a better word - gravity.

Oxford, dump as it may be, has gravity. Cambridge has the backs and a couple of nice backs. Newcastle, Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Southampton all have gravity.

Lichfield does not.
    Lichfield has Michael Fabricant. What more do you want?
    A straitjacket for him.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

" Mr. Ogilvie was unlucky enough to choose for the topick of his conversation the praises of his native country. He began with saying, that there was very rich land around Edinburgh. Goldsmith, who had studied physick there, contradicted this, very untruly, with a sneering laugh. Disconcerted a little by this, Mr. Ogilvie then took a new ground, where, I suppose, he thought himself perfectly safe; for he observed, that Scotland had a great many noble wild prospects. Johnson. “I believe, Sir, you have a great many. Norway, too, has noble wild prospects; and Lapland is remarkable for prodigious noble wild prospects. But, Sir, let me tell you, the noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!” This unexpected and pointed sally produced a roar of applause. After all, however, those who admire the rude grandeur of Nature, cannot deny it to Caledonia."

My point was, God and man collaborated over England. Scotland looks just as it would if we had never come down from the trees. And so do a lot of other parts of the world.
    I actually have no idea what you are talking about! Dr Johnson made a career out of saying offensively stupid things about Scotland so I wouldn't consider him an authority on this topic.
    OK

One more time: England is a man made landscape where the artificial and the natural complement each other. Scotland at its best, is just wilderness.

Johnson's output was prodigious, and that was the only thing rude about the Scots I can think of, unless you count the observation that oats is horse feed in England but human feed in Scotland. Actually doing the Tour of the Hebs in those days and for someone as urban and unathletic as him, was a pretty strong vote in favour of the place.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,373
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Right then. As I’m on a boringly air conditioned train to Richmond, my top ten beautiful cities

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

I would put both Grenada in Spain and Urbino in Italy in my top ten. Both cities where you could almost imagine you are back in medieval times

I certainly wouldn't call either Cambridge or NYC beautiful. Fascinating perhaps but not beautiful.
    Cambridge is quite beautiful, from certain angles. But it's still not a city, no matter what @ydoethur or the British government claims.

So basically - there are hardly any cities in England? Because by your logic, Worcester, Hereford, Exeter, Lichfield, Canterbury, Carlisle, Gloucester, Stoke, Derby, Truro, Chester, Lancaster, Chichester, Salisbury, Bath, Wells, are not cities - and that's without even going into detail.

And I think outside England only Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast would qualify.

Can you imagine a sentence starting "Beijing, in common with other great cities like Lichfield"?

No. Me neither.
    As opposed to the many cities in the US, with populations of a handful of thousand?
    Exactly.

My definition of a city is somewhere large enough that the public transport system is so good there's no point in having a car.

Towns are places that should be big enough to support a decent public transport system, but they don't due to a lack of investment.

Rural areas are those where a decent public transport system is an impossible fantasy.
    I've been itching to downgrade Coventry for some time, so this resonates with me.
    So basically, a city is whatever you decide it is, and if you decide it isn't, it isn't?

My three tests are perfectly reasonable. Frankly, small towns calling themselves cities because of some royal charter two centuries ago are like putting on ridiculous airs and graces.

Cities are cities because they matter. They need to have a combination of economic and political pull; they need - for want of a better word - gravity.

Oxford, dump as it may be, has gravity. Cambridge has the backs and a couple of nice backs. Newcastle, Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Southampton all have gravity.

Lichfield does not.
    Lichfield has the cathedral.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Yes, but there's a qualifying word 'great' (meaning large) in there.

In the UK its a city if the queen says it is.
    If we're comparing places in different countries, we need to have common standards. And, frankly, the Queen declaring something doesn't cut it.

So, I'm going with:

- own airport with regularly scheduled services
    - transit system with more than just buses
    - at least 4x the population of Bedford

If you don't like my conditions, then tough. They are reasonable and well reasoned.
    Every city needs at least one train station with regular trains.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

- “Covid vaccine debacle”(!!)

Ouch!

I thought these twats were supposed to be pro-Tory?
    LOL.

1 in 300 people have severe side effects from the vaccine claims these clowns.
    Define "severe". I had to have a day in bed after the first shot, but was fine after the other two.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,538

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You may wish to update your view slightly, given that it was taken down when 'physick' was still a career path. There has been a fair bit of building since then.
    The whole point of that book was that Johnson had to recant ...
    The scilly isles are truly special.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    Carnyx said:

Just look at them all, wallowing in self-inflicted misery:

Is that Leicestershire?
    East Sussex.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes. And it isn't very good. Scotch baronial is mocked for a reason.

It is sad, but not everyone can be born Irish ;)
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.
    We could do a list of the ten finest cathedrals in England.

In no particular order, I would choose Salisbury, Ely, Lincoln, Lichfield, Gloucester, Worcester, York, Worcester, Rochester, Durham.

But has anyone any alternatives? There are many other fine ones.
    Jonathan said:

They spoil Cornwall though, because once you have been there you see that they are what Cornwall aspires to be and fails.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

In no particular order, I would choose Salisbury, Ely, Lincoln, Lichfield, Gloucester, Worcester, York, Worcester, Rochester, Durham.

But has anyone any alternatives?
    There is a Fine cathedral in Norwich. In fact, two of them
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,993
    Jack Detsch
    @JackDetsch
    NEW: Russia is using expansionist rhetoric to try and mask losses and failures on the battlefield in Ukraine, U.S. defense officials believe, including new calls to remove the Zelensky admin.

U.S. revealed that 🇷🇺 has 18 filtration camps in 🇺🇦 where executions have taken place
    7:04 PM · Jul 29, 2022

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1553079113937784843
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

They all look much of a muchness to me, but Winchester, Exeter, Christ Church chapel.

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

I've never actually been to Norwich, which is why I left it off the list. About the only personal connection I have with it is that Ashley Grote, whom I knew slightly when he was deputy choirmaster of Gloucester Cathedral, is DM there.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

- “Covid vaccine debacle”(!!)

Ouch!

I thought these twats were supposed to be pro-Tory?
    LOL.

1 in 300 people have severe side effects from the vaccine claims these clowns.
    If you want to see just how dishonest Claire Craig and co are, and how nuts Mike Yeadon and many of the HART group are, take a look at the HART leaks:
    https://www.logically.ai/articles/hart-files-anti-vaccine-myths-westminster

(The HART group’s grasp of information security was about as good as their grasp of science as a while. Posting your internal chat logs online and handing out the credentials to those who ask for them is always going to end in embarassment)
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

They all look much of a muchness to me, but Winchester, Exeter, Christ Church chapel.
    Winchester is a good shout. Could swap that with Rochester (and that would please @Casino_Royale ).
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Quite. A lot of fighting stupid with stupid here today.
    You have utterly embarrassed yourself by misconstruing a valid and insightful comment. A novel and unexpected occurrence.
    Your comment was daft, because Stuart was longing for a pompous anti-Scottish riposte, and you gave him one.

I do understand the bones of a point that Scotland has craggier and more dramatic scenery whereas England has villages that look 'organically grown' with thatch etc., but such a generalisation doesn't really stand any more given the amount of beautiful and elegant buildings and settlements all over Scotland, such as pretty towns in the East Neuk of Fife, honey-coloured stone tenements in the suburbs of Edinburgh, grey stone-built Victorian model towns in Perthshire. And the country is veritably coated in castles, not all of them dramatic craggy ones on rocky outcrops, also some stately palaces - take the stunning approach to Glamis Castle in Angus, which rivals any English castle.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,030
    You can't beat the pit villages of South Yorkshire. Thurnscoe is my favourite but you can make a case for Rossington or Markham too.
    Liverpool surely has the two worst, including the papist job described by someone on the Anglican side as looking like a machine gun emplacement manned by daleks.
    edited July 2022
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
    Never took to Canterbury, oddly. Possibly because the organ is so rubbish, which put me right off it. Much preferred Rochester.

For a spectacular setting Ripon would have to be up there.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,993
    Jonathan said:

Must be honourary Scottish Islands then.
    IshmaelZ said:

Liverpool surely has the two worst, including the papist job described by someone on the Anglican side as looking like a machine gun emplacement manned by daleks.

Have you been in either of them? They are magnificent buildings and the volume of the Anglican is stunning. It is enormous and very awe inspiring
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

I've never actually been to Norwich, which is why I left it off the list. About the only personal connection I have with it is that Ashley Grote, whom I knew slightly when he was deputy choirmaster of Gloucester Cathedral, is DM there.
    Fair enough!
    My parochial bias aside, it is a striking building, high Norman architecture and beautiful French/Norman limestone. Its also visible from my sofa!
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
    Never took to Canterbury, oddly. Possibly because the organ is so rubbish, which put me right off it. Much preferred Rochester.

For a spectacular setting Ripon would have to be up there.
    The crypts and the setting. You can ignore the history and it's still #2. Salisbury is just on it's own though.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Quite. A lot of fighting stupid with stupid here today.
    You have utterly embarrassed yourself by misconstruing a valid and insightful comment. A novel and unexpected occurrence.
    Your comment was daft, because Stuart was longing for a pompous anti-Scottish riposte, and you gave him one.

I do understand the bones of a point that Scotland has craggier and more dramatic scenery whereas England has villages that look 'organically grown' with thatch etc., but such a generalisation doesn't really stand any more given the amount of beautiful and elegant buildings and settlements all over Scotland, such as pretty towns in the East Neuk of Fife, honey-coloured stone tenements in the suburbs of Edinburgh, grey stone-built Victorian model towns in Perthshire. And the country is veritably coated in castles, not all of them dramatic craggy ones on rocky outcrops, also some stately palaces - take the stunning approach to Glamis Castle in Angus, which rivals any English castle.
    We do need nicer pubs here though.

IshmaelZ said:

Have you been in either of them? They are magnificent buildings and the volume of the Anglican is stunning. It is enormous and very awe inspiring
    Both
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,174
    Rishi is being quizzed by Andrew Neil on Channel 4 now. Not much about cities so far.

Rosie Duffield has been re-selected

For which party? I thought she was a dead-cert floor crosser last September.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    kinabalu said:

You can't beat the pit villages of South Yorkshire. Thurnscoe is my favourite but you can make a case for Rossington or Markham too.

I'm grateful to be just old enough to remember Bolsover and Markham (the Derbyshire one) Collieries. I like unspoilt scenery, but I do like industrial landscapes too.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,341

But aren't you complaining about a lot of cheerful English people comparing how much they like different bits of England? The two would appear to contradict each other.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,829

Rishi is being quizzed by Andrew Neil on Channel 4 now. Not much about cities so far.

Anything about historical counties?
    If he promises Peterborough their Soke back, this race could get tasty.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    Rishi’s worst crime against the English language to date: “I want to bring grip to this problem.”
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,468
    ydoethur said:

I think PB could put together an awesome inbound/outbound global travel company (ie selling UK to the globe and the globe to UK)

No need here, the city signs say it all. 'Welcome to Norwich. A Fine City'
    Awesomeness sells itself
    Why a fine? Did it party in lockdown or does it just not cut the mustard?
    It was a work event.

IshmaelZ said:

Scotland has a magnificence and majesty that a lot of England lacks, but for pastoral idyll England wins hands down.
    Ireland at least matches it

But that sense of heimat in rural England with its rural villages and gentle rolling hills is certainly a thing.

English romanticism is fundamentally bucolic, rural, and backward looking. I get it too.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Well I love Scottish baronial. You can't have too many turrets.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    edited July 2022
    kinabalu said:

Your challenge is accepted. To be clear on the rules, what radius from the centre of each am I allowed in order to source something photogenic. A couple of miles, say? 3km if we are going metric.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,040
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I actually have no idea what you are talking about! Dr Johnson made a career out of saying offensively stupid things about Scotland so I wouldn't consider him an authority on this topic.
    OK

One more time: England is a man made landscape where the artificial and the natural complement each other. Scotland at its best, is just wilderness.

Johnson's output was prodigious, and that was the only thing rude about the Scots I can think of, unless you count the observation that oats is horse feed in England but human feed in Scotland. Actually doing the Tour of the Hebs in those days and for someone as urban and unathletic as him, was a pretty strong vote in favour of the place.
    OK, but that complementarity between nature and the man-made is pretty much the norm for any area with longstanding human habitation. Eg you could say the same about pretty much all of Italy. And indeed many parts of Scotland - I think someone has already mentioned my own birthplace, the East Neuk of Fife, which really offers as charming and beautiful a balance between the human and the natural as can be found anywhere. None of which is to criticise England, which is a very beautiful country with some absolutely stunning corners (I type this looking out over Plymouth Sound).

Cookie said:

Because this is the sort of thing I cannot help doing, I have ranked all 39 historical English counties for loveliness. Necessarily highly subjective and almost solely an aesthetic thing - it doesn't take into account how much fun you can have there.
    Middlesex comes bottom only because being entirely urban it is sui generis - of course lots about London is lovely.

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

The general pattern is the west and north are lovelier. To me, anyway. I can well appreciate that to some the ideal will be the big open skies of Norfolk or the soft rolling hills of Oxfordshire.

I think Kent should be way higher, it really is the garden of England and by far the loveliest place you can get to from London in under an hour. I would put Cornwall higher too, but perhaps that's just because I am there right now and it is absolutely glorious! You clearly love the North West, despite the near-constant rain. For me the trouble with this part of England is that it just seems an inferior version of what is available north of the border. Perhaps this is why I prefer the beautiful bits of England down south, which are quite different from the wild, stark beauty of the Scottish Highlands and Islands (for me the most beautiful part of these Isles - and if I was forced to be more specific I would say Skye).
    Yes, I do see your point.
    My view is that Scotland is bigger, but I prefer the North of England. More lived in, more human. You can be at the top of a mountain, but you're never more than an hour's walk from the pub.

But I think formative experiences guide preferences, and my view is entirely subjective.

Pleased to hear Cornwall is glorious! I shall be arriving next Friday.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,174

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.8 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

No fireworks lately.

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK

OK, but that complementarity between nature and the man-made is pretty much the norm for any area with longstanding human habitation. Eg you could say the same about pretty much all of Italy. And indeed many parts of Scotland - I think someone has already mentioned my own birthplace, the East Neuk of Fife, which really offers as charming and beautiful a balance between the human and the natural as can be found anywhere. None of which is to criticise England, which is a very beautiful country with some absolutely stunning corners (I type this looking out over Plymouth Sound).
    I can see it from here too

But the landscape of the Highlands like Scandinavia or the Rockies is fundamentally immune to humanity. Too craggy.
    kinabalu said:

I used to work out of Kinsley, and I couldn't disagree more. We'd have meetings in the Water Park, which was pleasant enough, but once we had a business lunch in the pub (can't remember the name) at the end of the road from our factory. The pub was like a demilitarised zone, but the restaurant was quite pleasant. Jim, the Sales Manager from Falkirk commented to the waiter that he was surprised the restaurant was as well appointed as it was, the waiter retorted "aye, but it's a shame no one in the village can use a knife and fork"
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
    To try to take a slightly less one-eyed view than normal, Manchester' cathedral must be one of the worst in the country. It's nice, but a cathedral should be more than nice. There were once plans for an absolutely huge one on the scale of Liverpool's (which I quite like) in Piccadilly Gardens. Instead, we have City Tower and the Ramada Hotel, one of the ugliest buildings in the North.

Chester Cathedral is rather fine. Not sure it's top ten but it can be far off.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Margot Robbie. Kylie. Harold Bishop.
    One of these things is not like the others.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,073
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Kylie? No letter b
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

2 are actresses, one is a character in a soap opera
    Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
    To try to take a slightly less one-eyed view than normal, Manchester' cathedral must be one of the worst in the country. It's nice, but a cathedral should be more than nice. There were once plans for an absolutely huge one on the scale of Liverpool's (which I quite like) in Piccadilly Gardens. Instead, we have City Tower and the Ramada Hotel, one of the ugliest buildings in the North.

Have you ever seen Birmingham Cathedral? Suffers from a similar problem.
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

No Mrs Mangel or Bouncer the dog?
    Fuhgeddaboutit.

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Fuhgeddaboutit.
    The ghost of Madge apparently, so anything is possible.
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Fuhgeddaboutit.
    Vivien Gray died 6 years ago so no Mrs Mangel. Bouncer died in a pegging incident in 1997
    Apparently a character names their car Bouncer in the final episode though!
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Yes. I wonder if big city cathedrals look smaller than they actually are because they're surrounded by big city? Though in Birmingham they've made a splendid job of the site and the grounds. Relates really well to the city around it.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Hasn't St Philip's church in Colmore Row been designated a Cathedral?

I'd have gone for St. Martin's in the Bull Ring.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,895
    All the chat about counties in England has reminded me of one of my favourite (and I think largely unknown) TV/films - The Red Riding Trilogy. Very worth a watch. Some remarkable performances and photography.
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Yes. I wonder if big city cathedrals look smaller than they actually are because they're surrounded by big city? Though in Birmingham they've made a splendid job of the site and the grounds. Relates really well to the city around it.
    I think it's more because they are cathedrals due to being churches in big cities, rather than cities growing up around them because there were cathedrals.

In the case of Birmingham, a conscious decision was made not to build a big new cathedral as the money was needed for social projects in the city instead.

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Fuhgeddaboutit.
    Vivien Gray died 6 years ago so no Mrs Mangel. Bouncer died in a pegging incident in 1997
    What happens in Helsinki stays in Helsinki.
    Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

I have no idea what you're on about. I stated that I'd have a cathedral higher up my list. You go off on some random rant. Do try.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,812
    Evening all :)

It does seem we are little more than a month away from Prime Minister Truss.

It's not a prospect which appeals in any way - her unfunded tax cuts look disastrous and I'm far from convinced she will be anything more than a shouty version of Boris Johnson.

Johnson took bonhomie to new levels - all levitas, no gravitas. There was no situation to which he couldn't find a brighter side, an eternal if unrealistic optimist, he quickly worked out the British people (or a significant portion of them) didn't want the truth or reasoned argument but wanted an upbeat assessment on life. Everything was fine, everything would be all right, Britain was great and there was nothing the British couldn't achieve.

Fine words - they butter no parsnips as someone once said, but clearly all some people want to hear.

Truss can't do Johnson's bonhomie - she grates and irritates and I suspect any political honeymoon (unless topped up with free money) will be short.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    If @UKLabour members knew before they voted that @Keir_Starmer would do the opposite of what he promised to win their votes then he would not be the Labour leader today.

Starmer committed Political fraud to win the leadership contest, therefore his mandate is not legitimate.

Time for the Unions to bankrupt his shit show of a Party

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Fuhgeddaboutit.
    What happens in Helsinki stays in Helsinki.
    Bouncer was such a hoe

If @UKLabour members knew before they voted that @Keir_Starmer would do the opposite of what he promised to win their votes then he would not be the Labour leader today.

Starmer committed Political fraud to win the leadership contest, therefore his mandate is not legitimate.

As a Tory I'll back you all the way...
    "I think its time to seriously look at whether trade unions & community orgs can build a new social movement that can fill the vacuum that's been left politically by the mainstream parties. Because [they're not supporting] working class people" - Dave Ward CWU
    Bozo passes May in a week. Travesty! Then big Jim is in his sights!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,150

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Well I love Scottish baronial. You can't have too many turrets.
    It is very possible to have too many turrets

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,842
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

But has anyone any alternatives? There are
    many other fine ones.
    They all look much of a muchness to me,
    but Winchester, Exeter, Christ Church chapel.

Winchester is a good shout.
    Could swap that with Rochester (and that would please @Casino_Royale ).
    Winchester cathedral is magnificent. It’s not as pretty as many but the scale is ridiculous when you visit other European cathedrals. Longest nave in Europe but also the fact that inside it you see in stone the evolution from Romanesque to Perpendicular in such clear terms.

When you compare it to the brick outline of the original Anglo Saxon cathedral next to it you cannot comprehend that one was a cathedral.

edited July 2022

"I think its time to seriously look at whether trade unions & community orgs can build a new social movement that can fill the vacuum that's been left politically by the mainstream parties. Because [they're not supporting] working class people" - Dave Ward CWU

If they take the money from Labour and build it, they will come. I suspect they lack the will or balls to do it though
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    The stretch of road between Gawthwaite and Grizebeck (the A5092) as it crosses the fells is, to me, one of the most beautiful roads anywhere, no matter what the weather or time of year.

You climb up from Lowick. To the left in the far distance is Ulverston. Ahead there is the ridge of a hill with a nick in it as if some giant had just cut a bit out. As you turn, the road crosses the fells, dotted with sheep, and with views across to the mountains and as you make your descent down across the Duddon estuary and to the sea. It is bleak at times, at others bathed in the colours of the setting sun or autumn reds and purples but always awesome and breathtaking. The combination of lonely fells, mountains and sky just takes my breath away.

Then the long descent to the Duddon with the twinkling sea and the spire of Millom church and the rounded peaks of Black and White Combe above the Whicham valley in front of you. Quite glorious.

• Bozo passes May in a week. Travesty! Then big Jim is in his sights!

Be funny given the reports he's sought to undermine Sunan, if Sunak pulls out next week so he fails to pass May.
  • Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Big city cathedrals don't feel like the centre of the world in those cities as they have a lot of other fine buildings and things going on, and therefore the area nearby often isn't as cared for and there's less investment in maintenance.

Exeter deserves a mention for its stunning vaulted medieval ceiling (longest in the world and a heck of an engineering feat even now let alone at the time).

Be funny given the reports he's sought to undermine Sunan, if Sunak pulls out next week so he fails to pass May.
    I think its too late now, even if Sunak pulled out on Monday, official announceernt of result Tuesday, Boris would probably stall until 'the Queen is back in London' on Friday or something just to be awkward.
    I cant see Sunak withdrawing though
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188

I think its too late now, even if Sunak pulled out on Monday, official announceernt of result Tuesday, Boris would probably stall until 'the Queen is back in London' on Friday or something just to be awkward.
    You can still get 1.01 on the clown being gone by Conference

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Big city cathedrals don't feel like the centre of the world in those cities as they have a lot of other fine buildings and things going on, and therefore the area nearby often isn't as cared for and there's less investment in maintenance.

Exeter deserves a mention for its stunning vaulted medieval ceiling (longest in the world and a heck of an engineering feat even now let alone at the time).
    Exeter rather intimidates too. A bastion of cathedrals.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,324
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.
    That imo is the list of a Medievalist. Is there anything much after about 1400?

For limiting to 10, I would eject Salisbury for being samey, Worcester, and perhaps Rochester and Gloucester.

I would add in Coventry, which can stand tall against any medieval cathedral in the country, and Southwell for the chapter house amongst other things. My two more might be Liverpool Anglican and Westminster, but I'd be in about 6 minds. Others would be tempting such as St Paul's and Ripon. And I like Parish Church cathedrals.

I think it's a mistake to say "a cathedral should be X". A cathedral is what it is, and has evolved with its community, and is not an isolated piece of architecture.

IanB2 said:

You can still get 1.01 on the clown being gone by Conference
    Just rejoice at that news
  • If @UKLabour members knew before they voted that @Keir_Starmer would do the opposite of what he promised to win their votes then he would not be the Labour leader today.

Absolute nonsense.

It was absolutely clear who the candidate of continuity Corbyn was (RLB) and who the candidate of turning the page was (Starmer).

You can say you don't agree with how he's gone about it, and that's fine. But they idea that it was some kind of fraud is utterly ludicrous.
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

For limiting to 10, I would eject Salisbury for being samey, Worcester, and perhaps Rochester and Gloucester.

I would add in Coventry, which can stand tall against any medieval cathedral in the country, and Southwell for the chapter house amongst other things. My two more might be Liverpool Anglican and Westminster, but I'd be in about 6 minds. Others would be tempting such as St Paul's and Ripon. And I like Parish Church cathedrals.

I think it's a mistake to say "a cathedral should be X". A cathedral is what it is, and has evolved with its community, and is not an isolated piece of architecture.

Lincoln
    Norwich
    Chichester
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124

Why does Johnson care? In his La La Land brain he is just warming up for the return and a second very long term as PM in two or three years time.

His new hero is Gladstone.

I expect the publishing deal of his new biog of the old 19th century liberal to be announced within weeks.
  • Omnium said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

Exeter rather intimidates too. A bastion of cathedrals.
    It was absolutely designed to put the fear of God into people, and does so admirably!
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK

But the landscape of the Highlands like Scandinavia or the Rockies is fundamentally immune to humanity. Too craggy.
    Almost none of Scotland is in any way wild, in the sense that it isn't managed by humans.

Yes well that can help split the non-Consetvative vote further to ensure even more decades of Conservative Government. You want socialist purity, what you get is Conservative Government after Conservative Government. Fill yer boots!
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

Lichfield does not.

Canterbury at #2.

I'm sorry but my comment that Canterbry shoud be second is not a list, nor am I a medievalist (why would you capitalise it).

Drinks are best after 1400, and I suggest you have one.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    Any Dorset dwellers on here?

Youngest is going to work at Winfrith in October and needs to find somewhere to live nearby. He looked at Dorchester originally but is now thinking of Weymouth.

Any ideas welcome.
  • timpletimple Posts: 118

If they take the money from Labour and build it, they will come. I suspect they lack the will or balls to do it though
    They lack the voting system. With FPTP it will fail.

Absolute nonsense.

It was absolutely clear who the candidate of continuity Corbyn was (RLB) and who the candidate of turning the page was (Starmer).

You can say you don't agree with how he's gone about it, and that's fine. But they idea that it was some kind of fraud is utterly ludicrous.
    You do talk bollocks

10 pledges was continuity Corbyn whilst uniting the Party

Done the complete opposite of course
    https://images.app.goo.gl/WZypyX1vr3zo2RPz8

Its just beautiful. I love my city.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK

Almost none of Scotland is in any way wild, in the sense that it isn't managed by humans.
    Also true of the world.
  • I’ve read it all now, Coventry and Southampton have gravity as cities!

Bristol and Newcastle are regional centres

Birmingham is the 2nd biggest urban centre around, and Liverpool is one of the biggest and most significant there is

Coventry and Southampton do not compare to any of them
  • "I think its time to seriously look at whether trade unions & community orgs can build a new social movement that can fill the vacuum that's been left politically by the mainstream parties. Because [they're not supporting] working class people" - Dave Ward CWU

They won't do it because most trades unionists aren't total morons, and know that the best way to further their interests is to get Starmer elected, not split the vote and allow Truss in on 35% or something.

That isn't lacking balls, it's having a brain.

Yes well that can help split the non-Consetvative vote further to ensure even more decades of Conservative Government. You want socialist purity, what you get is Conservative Government after Conservative Government. Fill yer boots!
    Change UK

SDP

LDs

People love Centrism
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK

Also true of the world.
    True, but there are grades. Highland Scotland has lost almost all of its vegetation cover.

SHOOT MORE DEER!

(Oh, and the same goes for the sheep in the Lakes)
    timple said:

They lack the voting system. With FPTP it will fail.
    True but it would be nice for there to be a genuine labour movement rather than the current utter arse
This discussion has been closed.