Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting on a Tory poll lead in September – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Because this is the sort of thing I cannot help doing, I have ranked all 39 historical English counties for loveliness. Necessarily highly subjective and almost solely an aesthetic thing - it doesn't take into account how much fun you can have there.
    Middlesex comes bottom only because being entirely urban it is sui generis - of course lots about London is lovely.

39 Middlesex

The general pattern is the west and north are lovelier. To me, anyway. I can well appreciate that to some the ideal will be the big open skies of Norfolk or the soft rolling hills of Oxfordshire.

Somewhat ironically, the vast majority of the foreign tourists’ first experience of the UK, is in Middlesex.
    Middlesex hasn't existed since 1965...
    Middlesex hasn't been an administrative area since 1965, you mean. And Cookie wasn't talking about administrative areas...
    For Middlesex, you mean Greater London.
    No, I mean Middlesex. The area roughly equivalent to Greater London north of the Thames and west of the Lea, plus Staines.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,309
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Right then. As I’m on a boringly air conditioned train to Richmond, my top ten beautiful cities

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

I'd have to put Dubrovnik in the top ten.

The foreign city I most enjoy is Naples.
    I would put both Grenada in Spain and Urbino in Italy in my top ten. Both cities where you could almost imagine you are back in medieval times

I certainly wouldn't call either Cambridge or NYC beautiful. Fascinating perhaps but not beautiful.
    Cambridge is quite beautiful, from certain angles. But it's still not a city, no matter what @ydoethur or the British government claims.

NYC is impressive, but not beautiful.
    I'm intrigued. What's your definition of a city?
    https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Right then. As I’m on a boringly air conditioned train to Richmond, my top ten beautiful cities

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Paris? Are you on crack? Doesn't even make the top 25 worldwide.

Cambridge is a small town, not a city.

New Orleans. Not a chance.

And New York may be impressive, but it's nowhere near as beautiful as Chicago.

Venice I will grant you. And I've never been to St Petersburg, so I'll you have that one.
    I dont think Paris is that beautiful but certainly interesting and soulful . New Orleans similar . Edinburgh is more twee than beautiful and New York is more shock n awe than beautiful (also Las Vegas) - For beauty I think central european cities like Prague, Dubrovnik and Budapest are good candidates
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Where's Newent?
    It's the most beautiful and significant place in the world a small town 9 miles northwest of Gloucester.

Leon. @Mexicanpete and I troll each other over it on a regular basis and I suspect this is another such.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

I would put both Grenada in Spain and Urbino in Italy in my top ten. Both cities where you could almost imagine you are back in medieval times

I certainly wouldn't call either Cambridge or NYC beautiful. Fascinating perhaps but not beautiful.
    Cambridge is quite beautiful, from certain angles. But it's still not a city, no matter what @ydoethur or the British government claims.

I have several requirements, which include (but are not limited to):

* Own airport with regular scheduled services
    * At least two parliamentary constituencies
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Because this is the sort of thing I cannot help doing, I have ranked all 39 historical English counties for loveliness. Necessarily highly subjective and almost solely an aesthetic thing - it doesn't take into account how much fun you can have there.
    Middlesex comes bottom only because being entirely urban it is sui generis - of course lots about London is lovely.

39 Middlesex

The general pattern is the west and north are lovelier. To me, anyway. I can well appreciate that to some the ideal will be the big open skies of Norfolk or the soft rolling hills of Oxfordshire.

Somewhat ironically, the vast majority of the foreign tourists’ first experience of the UK, is in Middlesex.
    Middlesex hasn't been an administrative area since 1965, you mean. And Cookie wasn't talking about administrative areas...
    No, I mean Middlesex. The area roughly equivalent to Greater London north of the Thames and west of the Lea, plus Staines.
    It doesn't exist as a county any more, sorry.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited July 2022

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

Not sure that the grassy, rolling sea of the Sussex Downs should come below Norfolk and Suffolk, which are mind-numbingly boring and flat.
    What about the most soul-destroying road in the UK. I will make a strong case for the A47.
    A47 goes through Rutland, one of the nicest parts of the country.

I’ll go with the M5 viaduct into Birmingham, or maybe the M6 viaduct into Birmingham.
    M4 west, junctions 16 (Swindon) to 18 (Bath) is unremittingly dull.
    The A47 is an incredibly dull road, especially either side of Kings Lynn, it used to have a fantastic greasy spoon cafe at Necton, now gone.
    However the A17 beats it for sheer depression.
    When i used to be allowed to drive by the health nazis and holidayed in Scotland there was simply nothing worse than homeward bound driving all day to reach Newark and having 2 hours of A17, A47 to go.........
    The A130 is also a pointless shit of a road that serves only to take you from Chelmsford where you don't want to be to Rayleigh, Wickford or sodding Benfleet where nobody except Mark Francois wants to be
    Oi! I was brought up in Benfleet. Mark François has nothing to do with Benfleet he's MP for Rayleigh.

And the Benfleet Downs and the Hadleigh Country Park were my playground as a youth!

To be fair though, Castle Point, which is now the District Council, has one of the lowest percentages of graduates as residents in the country. And I left, as did my graduate children and grandchildren!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

Very much not.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Sandpit said:

I asked on the previous thread, but don’t think anyone responded:

With Sunak now at 9/1 (and seemingly lengthening by the hour), what price a Sunak withdrawal?

I speculated recently (today?) that Liz Truss might want to make Rishi an offer of a job in return for pulling out but unless there is a market for Boris to be replaced in August rather than September, it is probably not worth too much thinking time.

Incidentally, Betfair has £14,000 at 1.01 that Boris will go in 2022, which speaks to the time value of money or some such.
    With inflation at 9%, that’s just about an inflation hedge if the contest concludes on Sep 5th.

Time value of money is now an important concept in long-term betting.
    Indeed. A sound subject for a PB header imho.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

I'd put Staffs above Shropshire. It's got everything Shropshire has, but more variety and interest in it.

It's also got Stoke, but Shropshire has Telford.
    Staffordshire's an odd one: the big perception of it is the M6, which doesn't show it at its best. West Staffs is like Shropshire; north east Staffs is the Peak District, both of which have much to recommend them. And I particularly like the area around Abbot's Bromley.

I'm sticking with my preferences as they are I like Shropshire a lot - but one of the beauties of a discussion like this is that most people will stick up for their local area - from which I infer that there is far more beauty worth discovering than even someone like me who is fairly well traveled in the UK has found.
    Staffordshire is one of the most most underrated counties in England, but most people in the county would probably prefer it to remain that way because too many tourists often ruin an area.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

Not sure that the grassy, rolling sea of the Sussex Downs should come below Norfolk and Suffolk, which are mind-numbingly boring and flat.
    What about the most soul-destroying road in the UK. I will make a strong case for the A47.

I’ll go with the M5 viaduct into Birmingham, or maybe the M6 viaduct into Birmingham.
    I actually rather like the M5 viaduct out of Birmingham. It makes me happy. On the way south, it's 'M6 over - now holiday is starting'; on the way north it's 'M5 over - nearly home'.
    And the raised element gives a good view over the black country, which is actually more interesting than you think it is going to be, and certainly more pleasant than the M6 through the urban West Midlands.
    Oh, *out* of Birmingham, the M5 viaduct is a lovely view of the countryside. But most of my experience was of doing a weekly commute from down South to up North on a Monday morning, and the M5/M6 junction was the inevitable pinch point no matter from which way it was approached. I ended up switching to the M42 and M6 Toll.

I’ll vote for the M6 toll as the best road in the country, the only thing that would make it better is raising the speed limit!
    My wife and I see eye to eye on most things, but one of the few things guaranteed to cause a row (aside from any visit to Bent's Garden Centre near Leigh, and wrapping Christmas presents for the kids) is the M6 toll road. She loves it; I'm sure she's almost go out of her way to use it; I resent paying £5.50 for a saving which I generally reckon to be rather less than ten minutes.
    It's pleasant to drive down, but £5.50's worth of pleasant? One of those things I irrationally resent paying for. I'd happily spend £5.50 on wholly unneccessary cake.
    £5.50? Do you get off at an intermediate junction or have you just not used it for a long time?

I think my answer is, it's worth it at rush hour, probably not otherwise. I would routinely save 15 minutes a day by using it to drive to work, which for the reduced rate of £2.90 I negotiated with them, plus the massively reduced stress, was definitely worth it.
    I haven't used it for about a decade, and I don't think I've ever paid for it myself!

I once did some analysis of economic justifications for toll roads. If you use value of time measures, it's very difficult to set a toll low enough so that people are motivated to use it by the time saving but high enough so you can afford to build the road. You have to justify it on the qualitative experience "you won't save that much time, but pay us this sum and you'll find the next 20 minutes much more pleasant than you otherwise might".
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Venice I will grant you. And I've never been to St Petersburg, so I'll you have that one.
    Cambridge was made a city in 1951.
    Ever been to Jaipur? I thought it was breathtaking.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    RH1992 said:

The stories coming out of Ukraine today are rekindling my desire to see NATO engage directly in the war on Ukraine's side to bring it to a swift conclusion.

If it wasn't for the big stockpile of nuclear weapons that Russia has I think the rest of NATO would be halfway to liberating Crimea by this point.
    We have nuclear weapons too. Why isn't Russia deterred from doing the stuff it's doing by our nuclear weapons?

I find it hard to believe that Russia would turn to nuclear weapons to defend its occupation of Melitopol. It's absurd. The amount of evil we're allowing to happen by being intimidated by the Russians is sickening.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

I guess you'll be asking for this article to be deleted, then? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

The A47 is an incredibly dull road, especially either side of Kings Lynn, it used to have a fantastic greasy spoon cafe at Necton, now gone.
    When i used to be allowed to drive by the health nazis and holidayed in Scotland there was simply nothing worse than homeward bound driving all day to reach Newark and having 2 hours of A17, A47 to go.........
    The A130 is also a pointless shit of a road that serves only to take you from Chelmsford where you don't want to be to Rayleigh, Wickford or sodding Benfleet where nobody except Mark Francois wants to be
    The A130 is a superb piece of road, actually, built far above spec, admittedly, but there you go.
    I was one of the first people to drive the new section replacing the road through Rettendon on opening day in 2002. You could do some serious speed on it for sure.
    But its a road from Hell to other Hell through Wide Boy and Pie Hell
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

So basically - there are hardly any cities in England? Because by your logic, Worcester, Hereford, Exeter, Lichfield, Canterbury, Carlisle, Gloucester, Stoke, Derby, Truro, Chester, Lancaster, Chichester, Salisbury, Bath, Wells, are not cities - and that's without even going into detail.

And I think outside England only Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast would qualify.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

On your Montenegro rule, my favourite is Laon

Siena.
    I remember a medieval (mostly) art gallery in Sienna - after seeing the 147th version of Madonna and Child by various artists, the physical shock of a Dürer was interesting....
    Know the feeling. I traipsed around the Uffizzi until I knew I would scream if I saw one more Botticelli.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Good:

LONDON, July 29 (Reuters) - The UK's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) said on Friday it has been directed by the government to temporarily relax permitting conditions for coal-fired power stations in England during the winter period.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/britain-keep-coal-fired-power-plants-open-this-winter-2022-07-29/

Everyone needs to ignore environmental bollocks, and find ways to get as much locally-produced power as possible over the winter. I’d be buying diesel generators, red diesel is going to be as cheap as grid power at some point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Ely is a small town that's a city

Cambridge is a nearby relative giant
  • Options
    Driver said:

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

I guess you'll be asking for this article to be deleted, then? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex
    Note in the lead it says "historic county", now making up part of the current Ceremonial County of Greater London.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

So basically - there are hardly any cities in England? Because by your logic, Worcester, Hereford, Exeter, Lichfield, Canterbury, Carlisle, Gloucester, Stoke, Derby, Truro, Chester, Lancaster, Chichester, Salisbury, Bath, Wells, are not cities - and that's without even going into detail.

And I think outside England only Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast would qualify.
    I think you've proved my point.

Can you imagine a sentence starting "Beijing, in common with other great cities like Lichfield"?

No. Me neither.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

RH1992 said:

The stories coming out of Ukraine today are rekindling my desire to see NATO engage directly in the war on Ukraine's side to bring it to a swift conclusion.

If it wasn't for the big stockpile of nuclear weapons that Russia has I think the rest of NATO would be halfway to liberating Crimea by this point.
    We have nuclear weapons too. Why isn't Russia deterred from doing the stuff it's doing by our nuclear weapons?

I find it hard to believe that Russia would turn to nuclear weapons to defend its occupation of Melitopol. It's absurd. The amount of evil we're allowing to happen by being intimidated by the Russians is sickening.
    Always amazes me the number of people who haven’t seen Dr Strangelove.

• Options

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

It doesn't have a county council. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And if we have to subdivide the country somehow for discussions of this sort, how would you propose to do it? I'm not going to list all 300-odd local government units.
    I'm not saying that local government has to equate to the counties which have been around since Norman times. (Though there are some arguments for that.) I just want an immutable set of subdivisions to use. And somewhere to identify with - I'm not going to start changing what my home county is every time there's a local government reorganisation.

Lots of places which don't have county councils still have other institutions which cover the territory of the historical county (more or less). The Cheshire RFU. The Chester Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers. And so on. Hell, Middlesex even has a rather famous cricket club associated with it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

Oi! I was brought up in Benfleet. Mark François has nothing to do with Benfleet he's MP for Rayleigh.

And the Benfleet Downs and the Hadleigh Country Park were my playground as a youth!

To be fair though, Castle Point, which is now the District Council, has one of the lowest percentages of graduates as residents in the country. And I left, as did my graduate children and grandchildren!
    My apologies! To be fair my scorn and despair is from a very unhappy time i lived in the area (Witham) in the early millenium. Essex and me, we were not a team.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?
    Delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Can you imagine a sentence starting "Beijing, in common with other great cities like Lichfield"?

No. Me neither.
    You're right.

What person would be so utterly lost in taste as to compare Lichfield to a shitheap like Beijing?

Edit - and of course, by your criteria, Beijing isn't a city anyway, as it has no parliamentary constituencies...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    I think Pete meant to reply to an earlier post. Jaipur is stunning
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Yes, but there's a qualifying word 'great' (meaning large) in there.

In the UK its a city if the queen says it is.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

It doesn't have a county council. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And if we have to subdivide the country somehow for discussions of this sort, how would you propose to do it? I'm not going to list all 300-odd local government units.
    I'm not saying that local government has to equate to the counties which have been around since Norman times. (Though there are some arguments for that.) I just want an immutable set of subdivisions to use. And somewhere to identify with - I'm not going to start changing what my home county is every time there's a local government reorganisation.

Lots of places which don't have county councils still have other institutions which cover the territory of the historical county (more or less). The Cheshire RFU. The Chester Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers. And so on. Hell, Middlesex even has a rather famous cricket club associated with it.
    Not a very good one though (albeit Gloucestershire can't talk right now)!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Cardiff is only hanging on to its airport due to Welsh government largesse. Does a vanity airport count?
  • Options

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

Note in the lead it says "historic county"
    I did note that. Did you note that "historic counties" is what Cookie was talking about from the very beginning of this discussion?
  • Options
    Loathe as I am to bring us back to the topic, it's just occurred to me that the Vardys may well be having their legal fees bankrolled by The Sun/Rupert Murdoch, as it seems it was a Sun reporter that was highly instrumental in creating the situation which provided the tabloids with so much copy.

Anybody else had the same thought? It would certainly help explain why the couple pursued such a hopeless case to such lengths.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Of course Cambridge is a city, it has a population over 100,000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge
    That means that Bedford is practically a city.

Which would be absurd.
  • Options
    List of places that are simultaneously beautiful, amazing and a city.....
    Norwich

Everywhere else is not.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Always amazes me the number of people who haven’t seen Dr Strangelove.
    Watched it many times. Have the DVD. Don't see its relevance to the subject at hand.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Cardiff is only hanging on to its airport due to Welsh government largesse. Does a vanity airport count?
    Most of them are. After all, if we don't include vanity airports that's Newcastle upon Tyne, Nottingham and Sheffield out as well.
  • Options
    O/T

"Medicating Complexity
    That antidepressants may have little or no effectiveness should not surprise us.
    Theodore Dalrymple"

https://www.city-journal.org/the-complexities-of-depression
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

The A130 is a superb piece of road, actually, built far above spec, admittedly, but there you go.
    I was one of the first people to drive the new section replacing the road through Rettendon on opening day in 2002. You could do some serious speed on it for sure.
    I remember when the last section was opened, that to the Magic Roundabout just outside Benfleet. I drove down from North Essex to Basildon, where I then worked, and phoned my wife to say I've got to work in 40 minutes instead of the usual hour.
    It was one week before I retired!
  • Options

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

Note in the lead it says "historic county", now making up part of the current Ceremonial County of Greater London.
    Yes, if you look back to my original point, I said 'historical counties'.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_counties_of_England
    No less valid than ceremonial counties, and more widely understood. We all here know what we're talking about with the historic counties. Who here is 100% sure what the ceremonial counties are?

Those ticking the hills on this list, for example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_of_England_and_Wales_in_1964_by_highest_point

are rather more common than those ticking the hills on this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ceremonial_counties_of_England_by_highest_point
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    Apologies for the surreal non-seq.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    As opposed to the many cities in the US, with populations of a handful of thousand?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    I rather enjoyed it, to be honest. We need more of those, particularly in the midst of more heated discussions.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Cookie said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

39 Middlesex

Minus bits of old Herts and old Bucks
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

I remember when the last section was opened, that to the Magic Roundabout just outside Benfleet. I drove down from North Essex to Basildon, where I then worked, and phoned my wife to say I've got to work in 40 minutes instead of the usual hour.
    It was one week before I retired!
    It made it much quicker for me to fail to get people to invest in dodgy investment products in the post 9/11 economic wilderness certainly!
  • Options
    Rosie Duffield has been re-selected
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,968

Loathe as I am to bring us back to the topic, it's just occurred to me that the Vardys may well be having their legal fees bankrolled by The Sun/Rupert Murdoch, as it seems it was a Sun reporter that was highly instrumental in creating the situation which provided the tabloids with so much copy.

Anybody else had the same thought? It would certainly help explain why the couple pursued such a hopeless case to such lengths.

May explain why 2 Scousers were so determined.
    The Echo is ecstatic.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    You're right.

What person would be so utterly lost in taste as to compare Lichfield to a shitheap like Beijing?

Edit - and of course, by your criteria, Beijing isn't a city anyway, as it has no parliamentary constituencies...
    Nor a charter from the monarch. Hell, it's not even a town.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.

If we're comparing places in different countries, we need to have common standards. And, frankly, the Queen declaring something doesn't cut it.

So, I'm going with:

- own airport with regularly scheduled services
    - transit system with more than just buses
    - at least 4x the population of Bedford

If you don't like my conditions, then tough. They are reasonable and well reasoned.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited July 2022

rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?
    It isn't, even in US terms Cambridge is a medium sized city.

US exit polls for example say big cities have a population over 500,000, medium sized cities a population from
    50,000 to 500,000 and towns a population from 10,000 to 50,000.

Everything else is rural or suburbia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_United_States_presidential_election

• Options

Con GAIN Rosie once Liz is crowned. Shes gagging for the blue life
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

My apologies! To be fair my scorn and despair is from a very unhappy time i lived in the area (Witham) in the early millenium. Essex and me, we were not a team.
    I live not far from Witham now. It is not the place that it was when I first knew it in the late 40s!

Later. My evening meal is ready so goodbye folks!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?

US exit polls for example say big cities have a population over 100,000, medium sized cities a population from
    50,000 to 100,000 and small towns a population from 10,000 to 50,000.

Everything else is rural

So, how big is a large town?

And how big is a small city?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.

If we're comparing places in different countries, we need to have common standards. And, frankly, the Queen declaring something doesn't cut it.

So, I'm going with:

If you don't like my conditions, then tough. They are reasonable and well reasoned.
    Aren't you confusing the different concepts of 'metropolis' and 'city'?

What you've described is a large urban area. What we're talking about is a 'city,' which is a particular appellation applied to certain urban areas, of varying size.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    As opposed to the many cities in the US, with populations of a handful of thousand?
    Exactly.

Hence my completely objective three criteria that I've listed.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    I rather enjoyed it, to be honest. We need more of those, particularly in the midst of more heated discussions.
    Wednesday is bin day in Winchcombe.
  • Options

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    That attempt at deflecting attention was a load of rubbish.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?

US exit polls for example say big cities have a population over 100,000, medium sized cities a population from

Everything else is rural

A large town in UK terms would be 50 to 100,000. In US terms it would be a small city
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

I live not far from Witham now. It is not the place that it was when I first knew it in the late 40s!
    I have a wry smile as the train goes past the station between Norwich and London.
    I once managed to fail to stay awake between Hatfield Peverel and Witham on the last train of the night and had to cab it from Colchester. That, i think, is a metaphor for every moment of my life in Essex
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

What's the English county outside London most visited by tourists?

I guess Wiltshire must be quite high due to Stonehenge (and proximity to London)

Yorkshire? Warwickshire (Stratford ) , Oxfordshire
    Kent, surely? If you count just passing through.
  • Options

If Murdoch is bankrolling Vardy, that would prove Mrs Rooney’s original claim beyond a shadow of a doubt, and the newspaper revealing it’s sources. I reckon Jamie Vardy gets the bill.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you sure?

Everything else is rural

Swindon 220,000
    St David’s 1,600
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,968
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.

So, I'm going with:

Leeds doesn't make it then.
  • Options
    It's time for!!! Shots shots shots!
  • Options
    City of London. 130,000.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Canterbury is likely to swing further to Labour I'd have thought.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Most of them are. After all, if we don't include vanity airports that's Newcastle upon Tyne, Nottingham and Sheffield out as well.
    I wonder if I am alone on pb.com in having flown from all three of those airports?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,757

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

You could argue that in a list like this there ought to be two Essex's North and South. North Essex, away from the coast in the Tendring area, has some extremely attractive villages and well preserved, historic small towns. Poor South Essex has been attacked by overspill and small-scale industrialisation.
    Maldon has grown on me over the years. Family live there so I visit quite often.
    Some nice pubs and a very nice walk along the river to the statue of Earl Britnoth. Who was an adviser to King Ethelred the Badly Advised (aka Unready) and one can see how he got the job!
    He'd be astounded and delighted if he were to be told that the lay about his bravery against the Northmen is still being sung today, albeit in academia (and just possibly one or two film or TV series, I suspect).
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Odd non-sequitur.
    That attempt at deflecting attention was a load of rubbish.
    We should have a thread where every post has nothing to do with the thread header or any other previous post. April 1st would be a good day for it.

(Some posters would of course find the task easier than others.)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391

I've heard of lawyers offering no win, no fee without the client understanding they can still get wiped out by the other side's costs.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Lots of labour MPs joining pickets tomorrow apparently. Lets see how Strongman Starmer asserts his authority over them.
    Im predicting he will do nothing and hope it all goes away
  • Options

Seriously mate - see if you can dial it down.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2022

CHB dude, it's not so much the drink as the fact that I think you are having a manic episode. have you been diagnosed bipolar?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

I wonder if I am alone on pb.com in having flown from all three of those airports?
    With that adjustment, I'm confident in answering 'yes.'
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391

Some of us are staying sober for the last ever Neighbours on Channel 5 tonight.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,431
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

FPT for @OllyT

"UK undoubtedly has some beautiful parts but mainly in protected National Park areas. Whereas France is 75% beautiful and 25% rough/nondescript the UK (is probably 25% beautiful and 75% rough/nondescript. As we are so overcrowded the beautiful areas tend to be overrun with people whereas in France you can drive for miles in glorious unspoilt countryside."

++++

I wouldn't demur with any of that. This is why I put France at #1 and the UK at #9. Plus the French climate is superior (for now) and their urbanism less spoiled

But the UK is still beautiful in parts, and splendidly varied, with an often-glorious coastline and some divine cityscapes - Cambridge! - and on a world ranking is right up there. It's just not as impressive as France, but France is number 1

Which brings us to the bigger point. European countries crowd the top spots of "Most Beautiful Countries", which is why Europe, as a whole, gets more tourists than anywhere on earth. The tourists aren't dumb

There are some natural landscapes that, individually, are more breath-taking than anywhere in Europe - the Antarctic Peninsula for sure, perhaps the wilds of the American West, Greenland, Ethiopia, bits of Oz, central Asia, NZ (apparently, haven't been), and so on, but for overall beauty, Europe sweeps the prizes

The Telegraph list is bonkers, and is merely designed to stir up arguments. Which it has done. So well done that editor

I am consistently surprised by this attitude on PB. Most of France that I've been to has not struck me as particularly attractive. I lived in Nice for 3 months, travelled a bit in the South, and the North, been to Paris, the French Alps. There's a lot of it I haven't seen, but my abiding impression is of villages with ugly billboards shittily stuck everywhere, severely over-pollarded trees, genteel suburban decay, and dodging dogshit in the city centres. I am sure the countryside is pleasant in the places I haven't been to. For comparison, I grew up in West Sussex near the Surrey border, which is nice but not spectacular. I now live in Scotland, which is stunningly beautiful, so perhaps I've been spoiled. I think some PBers, even the professed patriots, think there's something more glamorous about French squallor than British squallor.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Con GAIN Rosie once Liz is crowned. Shes gagging for the blue life
    Don't think so somehow; standing for re-selection isn't really a sign of a switcher.
    More interestingly, Rosie Duffield has been selected despite (or because of?) her views on trans issues, that don't please some.
    Perhaps Labour isn't quite as daft on these issues as some on here would like to believe?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Seriously mate, we need to mix up our salutations a bit.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Sandpit said:

City of London. 130,000.

Is that base salary per citizen?
  • Options
    Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Beautiful is in the eye, etc, and beauty close up or beauty viewed from a distance?

But if you mean their overall visual impression I wouldn’t put Paris at number two, noting that London doesn’t make the list at all. Prague ought to qualify, as, IMHO, should Bergamo. You could make a case for Naples, given its setting. Edinburgh has its dramatic castle, yes, but the rest of it? Top ten in the world, I don’t think so. New York deserves lots of superlatives, but I wouldn’t put beauty among them.
  • Options
    Devil's Den by Clatford between Marlborough and Lockeridge

Maybe there were stones like this joining Avebury and Amesbury?

Pretty ugly compared to the Scotland region

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Alarmingly buster, this is not a matter for joking.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

A flawed list since the IOW doesn’t even appear.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Earnestly my friend, I agree.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

My definition of a city is somewhere large enough that the public transport system is so good there's no point in having a car.

Towns are places that should be big enough to support a decent public transport system, but they don't due to a lack of investment.

Rural areas are those where a decent public transport system is an impossible fantasy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

:smile:

I will even add that I am one of the rare air travellers who likes to arrive at an airport by public transport, and so have arrived at Nottingham and Sheffield (more correctly, I think these days, Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield, or RHADS) by bus.
    They look at you in blank astonishment if you emerge from Nottingham airport and ask where the bus stops are.
  • Options
    It's all just a bit of fun, get the pints in! Shots shots shots!
  • Options

Devil's Den by Clatford between Marlborough and Lockeridge

Maybe there were stones like this joining Avebury and Amesbury?

Pretty ugly compared to the Scotland region

Don't know. I was just thinking about the view over the Vale of Pewsey from Knap Hill above Alton Priors (where I suspect there was a pub in the CAMRA guide c. 1980, as well).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,431
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Earnestly my friend, I agree.
    See here chum, I think we should just let CHB have his oats for now, until he rediscovers the joy of being sober. Because I don't think remonstrating is working. He'll be fine.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

No. Me neither.
    Exactly.

My definition of a city is somewhere large enough that the public transport system is so good there's no point in having a car.

Towns are places that should be big enough to support a decent public transport system, but they don't due to a lack of investment.

Rural areas are those where a decent public transport system is an impossible fantasy.
    My definition of a city is somewhere with an ancient cathedral.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

1 Westmorland
    2 Devon
    3 Cumberland
    4 Cornwall
    5 Derbyshire
    6 Northumberland
    7 Yorkshire
    8 Lancashire
    9 Shropshire
    10 Herefordshire
    11 Cheshire
    12 Dorset
    13 Wiltshire
    14 Somerset
    15 Suffolk
    16 Norfolk
    17 Gloucestershire
    18 Worcestershire
    19 Durham
    20 Sussex
    21 Oxfordshire
    22 Buckinghamshire
    23 Berskhire
    24 Surrey
    25 Hampshire
    26 Northamptonshire
    27 Warwickshire
    28 Staffordshire
    29 Kent
    30 Cambridgeshire
    31 Rutland
    32 Leciestershire
    33 Hertfordshire
    34 Nottinghamshire
    35 Bedfordshire
    36 Lincolnshire
    37 Essex
    38 Huntingdonshire
    39 Middlesex

A flawed list since the IOW doesn’t even appear.
    Historically part of Hampshire.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,929

Seriously pal (just to be different…) avoid the shots/spirits. Not only do they mess you up medically more than beer and wine you will just get into the immense high/immense low the next morning cycle that you will only cope with by starting the high again with the booze or find yourself trying to cope with the worst booze blues and alconoia the next day and end up in a v bad place.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

It's all just a bit of fun, get the pints in! Shots shots shots!

What again?

This is your third night in a row iirc?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

Have fun, have a jager for me. 🥃

Shots and parental life don't really go that well together, so I'm rather boring now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Canterbury is likely to swing further to Labour I'd have thought.
    Indeed, it’s an island of educated common sense amid the ocean of rural Kentish seats that voted Brexit and now find their roads chock-full of lorries and frustrated tourists trying to leave the country, with police checkpoints on every major road junction.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

:smile:

I will even add that I am one of the rare air travellers who likes to arrive at an airport by public transport, and so have arrived at Nottingham and Sheffield (more correctly, I think these days, Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield, or RHADS) by bus.
    They look at you in blank astonishment if you emerge from Nottingham airport and ask where the bus stops are.
    Nottingham City Airport? Not EMA?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

1. Venice
    2. Paris
    3. St Petersburg
    4. Florence
    5. New Orleans
    6. Cambridge
    7. Hong Kong
    8. New York City
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Newent
    11. Bordeaux

Beautiful is in the eye, etc, and beauty close up or beauty viewed from a distance?

But if you mean their overall visual impression I wouldn’t put Paris at number two, noting that London doesn’t make the list at all. Prague ought to qualify, as, IMHO, should Bergamo. You could make a case for Naples, given its setting. Edinburgh has its dramatic castle, yes, but the rest of it? Top ten in the world, I don’t think so. New York deserves lots of superlatives, but I wouldn’t put beauty among them.
    In defence of Edinburgh, it has the New Town, as well as the Old. It has the hills, not just the central hills of the Castle, Calton and Arthur's Seat, but other hills around the city from which it can be best viewed, such as Blackford Hill. It has the Water of Leith and Dean Village. It's a lot more than just the castle.
  • Options

I've heard of lawyers offering no win, no fee without the client understanding they can still get wiped out by the other side's costs.
    Mebbe, but since it was blindingly obvious Vardy would lose I cannot imagine such an arrangement would have been offered.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

And so on. Hell, Middlesex even has a rather famous cricket club associated with it.

But we've been through this before - standing around in a field all day a sport doth not make.
This discussion has been closed.