Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As big dog Gromit quits Wallace is who Tory members want to replace him – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• Options

Before there is a new thread (I assume it's getting published now, it always does when I post!).

I've longed believed that an incoming PM in this manner should hold a GE within six months to take advantage of a bounce in the polls. Excepting MacMillian, no incoming party leader has won more seats at the next GE if they've left it more than 6 months (Boris won seats, but his GE was five months after his appointment).

So..... do we think the next Prime Minister will hold a GE, either in October or (possibly) next May; or will they hold on till the death as they almost always do?

If it's Wallace, he has an extra reason to go early as his seat is abolished in the boundary review.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    IshmaelZ said:

EPG said:

MISTY said:

eek said:

MISTY said:

TimS said:

The winning candidate is going to do it on:

- Brexit but with new unicorns
    - Tax cuts
    - Protecting property prices
    - A smattering of send-em-back rhetoric
    - Avoiding anything that might upset NIMBYs or pensioners

Getting rid of hard target of 2050 at all costs for net zero is above all of those, I reckon.
    Go ahead that would hand a lot of the Green vote to Labour at the next election....
    From a Tory point of view why should that matter? They were never going to vote Tory anyway and the Green polling always flatters to deceive.

IF the tories do not give up Net zero by 2050 then in 2024 they will be campaigning on a give up your boiler and give up your car ticket. On a stop eating meat and start eating insects ticket. On a rolling blackouts ticket and an energy rationing ticket. On a getting poorer? get used to it ticket.

That might be OK for metro liberals in the cities. But tories voters? gargantuan bloodbath.

All the governments pedalling this are running into trouble. Biden is as popular as a f*rt in a space suit even though energy prices there are well below ours. Farmer protests are spreading like wildfire from Netherlands to Italy and Poland. Macron is hobled and the far right is rising.

Your solution is presumably that climate change is an elite, urban, elite, urban, multiracial, elite fiction.
    I don't believe there is any possibility of the current net Zero plans of this country and most of the West being implemented as they stand. They are totally unrealistic and couldn't even be imposed by a military dictatorship never mind democratically elected governments. We need more critical thinking and engineering input to reset the plans, longer timescales and probably a massive nuclear programme.
    "We need longer timescales." we are not going to get them.
    We are if we stop pretending we want to achieve 1.5% rather than 2%.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2022
    Masses of empty seats at the cricket as has there has been at Wimbledon.....perhaps they are charging too much for tickets! £175 for show court and £95 for ground admission for the tennis.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693
    biggles said:

Before there is a new thread (I assume it's getting published now, it always does when I post!).

I've longed believed that an incoming PM in this manner should hold a GE within six months to take advantage of a bounce in the polls. Excepting MacMillian, no incoming party leader has won more seats at the next GE if they've left it more than 6 months (Boris won seats, but his GE was five months after his appointment).

So..... do we think the next Prime Minister will hold a GE, either in October or (possibly) next May; or will they hold on till the death as they almost always do?

The end. Memories of May are too fresh. 2019 was very specific circumstances.
    Thursday 23rd January 2025 it is then!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,048
    I see Boris Johnson has promised no new policies while he is caretaker PM. So no change there, then.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,247
    edited July 2022

JUST IN: @POTUS Biden statement on @BorisJohnson’os resignation: “the special relationship between our people remains strong and enduring. I look forward to continuing our close cooperation with the government of the United Kingdom, as well as our Allies and partners…”

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1545084730156146688

This was after he has stopped pissing himself laughing. Note no regrets about no longer having to deal with the Clown
    Biden is pretty straight-talking for a President. He didn't like Johnson, mainly because he thought Brexit was dumb.
    because it was, but while I didn't support it, it is none of his f-ing business.
    I agree that any Biden intervention in the matter is unlikely to be welcomed by most British voters.

But it isn't none of his business at all. His view is he'd rather negotiate big trade deals with big trading blocs, and for American businesses to have consistency across Europe. He also wants a reasonable degree of political unity and stability across Europe given its proximity to both Russia and the Middle East. Not saying if he's right or wrong about his country's national interest (and his predecessor had a very different outlook) but it is relevant to him and his country.

The USA has a genuine strategic and economic interest in major decisions made by allies, as we do in decisions made by the USA (more in that direction of course as they are bigger). Whilst tact and diplomacy dictate that countries' leaders aren't too publicly bullish about it, it isn't being some kind of ludicrous busy-body to have a view.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927
    edited July 2022

In six months time, we'll be looking at rolling blackouts, freezing pensioners, and petrol at god-knows-what-cost.

People haven't quite grasped the scale of the energy crisis yet.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900

biggles said:

You have to allow for the unknown factor. I’d want to normalise these by also pitting Starmer against a made up name.
    Yes indeed. Mordaunts figures are a shocker though!
    Yes, but those sort of polls are pretty meaningless. They tend to represent recognisability
    Fair comment! Yes its all a bit pointless till we get under starters orders and some airtime for platforms
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355

Cookie said:

biggles said:

Largest lead for Labour since mid-January.

Westminster Voting Intention (7 July):

Labour 43% (+2)
    Conservative 31% (-4)
    Liberal Democrat 12% (+1)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Scottish National Party 3% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-4)
    Other 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 3 July

https://t.co/K0y4egVrGL https://t.co/At4k6oBDZb

Taken this morning

This morning? If so that’s awesome for the Tories.
    Anecdote - a Tory/LD switcher who I know says she feels sorry for poor Boris. I wonder how widespread that feeling is?
    Perhaps more than we'd think. I've heard people say it is not fair Boris taking the fall for Pincher's offences. Partygate had more cut-through to the general public sfaict. It is ministers and MPs who got fed up of day after day being sent out to defend the Prime Minister with lies that unravelled inside 24 hours.
    Most people aren't massively partisan. Most people can see the human beneath the politician.
    I felt very sorry for Boris when the suggestion was that Carrie had left him. Happily that appears not to be the case.
    I also felt very sorry for Gordon Brown, who I have liked less than any other PM, both with bigoted-womangate and when he and his family finally left No. 10.
    I really didn't like Brown, but I felt real sadness for him when he walked down the street with his young family. Although I was (at that time) a Tory voter one always could tell Brown was a decent human being. I feel very little empathy for Johnson. He is an egotist who has trashed the traditions of this country and squandered his privileges, and treated people as fools. We should not feel at all sorry for him. It is all Karma.
    Nigel, your hatred for Boris is driving uou mad. Boris is a man, flawed, just like any other. The hubris-nemesis arc follows almost exactly the same trajectory as Gordon's - who also, remember, really, really wanted to PM but didn't once he got there appear to know why. He also, if we are to believe the stories, didn't treat his staff very well. Presumably not least because it's a horrible a stressful job.

I don't want Boris to be PM. But to wish every misery under the sun on him or any other British politician is just deranged.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,101

Masses of empty seats at the cricket as has there has been at Wimbledon.....perhaps they are charging too much for tickets! £175 for show court and £95 for ground admission for the tennis.

Nah - they are all constantly refreshing pb at home. Much more entertaining...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900

Depends if they get a solid lead out of the gates
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419

I've totally forgotten about today's match. Not that I particularly like 20/20 cricket.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

Labour 43% (+2)
    Conservative 31% (-4)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (-4)
    Other 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 3 July

Taken this morning

Anecdote - a Tory/LD switcher who I know says she feels sorry for poor Boris. I wonder how widespread that feeling is?
    Perhaps more than we'd think. I've heard people say it is not fair Boris taking the fall for Pincher's offences. Partygate had more cut-through to the general public sfaict. It is ministers and MPs who got fed up of day after day being sent out to defend the Prime Minister with lies that unravelled inside 24 hours.
    Most people aren't massively partisan. Most people can see the human beneath the politician.
    I felt very sorry for Boris when the suggestion was that Carrie had left him. Happily that appears not to be the case.
    I also felt very sorry for Gordon Brown, who I have liked less than any other PM, both with bigoted-womangate and when he and his family finally left No. 10.
    I really didn't like Brown, but I felt real sadness for him when he walked down the street with his young family. Although I was (at that time) a Tory voter one always could tell Brown was a decent human being. I feel very little empathy for Johnson. He is an egotist who has trashed the traditions of this country and squandered his privileges, and treated people as fools. We should not feel at all sorry for him. It is all Karma.
    Nigel, your hatred for Boris is driving uou mad. Boris is a man, flawed, just like any other. The hubris-nemesis arc follows almost exactly the same trajectory as Gordon's - who also, remember, really, really wanted to PM but didn't once he got there appear to know why. He also, if we are to believe the stories, didn't treat his staff very well. Presumably not least because it's a horrible a stressful job.

I don't want Boris to be PM. But to wish every misery under the sun on him or any other British politician is just deranged.
    Disagree. boris was special.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited July 2022
    I asked GPT3 to draft a statement from the US president about the resignation of the UK Prime Minister:

"It is with great sadness that I have accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Theresa May. She has been a true friend and ally to the United States, and I thank her for her service.

The United Kingdom is one of our closest partners, and I know that the special relationship between our two countries will endure. I look forward to working with her successor to continue to strengthen that bond."

That second paragraph is as boilerplate as Biden's statement. He fucking hates Boris, doesn't he?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    I've missed all the political fun, currently high up in the Slovenian mountains.

Would someone care to share the best threads to read on all this? Will read on the plane home for the laughs.

I'm completely lost - got consecutive BBC alerts saying Zahawi as Chancellor, then calling to resign? Why isn't he a top candidate for next PM?

International bunch of climbers all baffled by our constitution. I'm trying to explain, but failing.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355
    Andy_JS said:

I've totally forgotten about today's match. Not that I particularly like 20/20 cricket.
    I'm going to the 2020 at Trent Bridge on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it, but though I'm loathe to admit it, I'd just as soon be watching Lancashire at about 10% of the price.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,161
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

I hope @Heathener, so critical of my complacency, is pleased that I have just been swimming HERE

Utterly Edenic. A river to myself. The valley teems with vivid birdlife, dipping and rolling in joyous loops

Europe: the only continent where you can do that in the absolute certainty of not losing a limb or some genitals or all of you to a croc or hippo or anaconda or piranha
    North America surely? In most of it. But you might get shot. Also it rarely looks like this in these perfect temperatures
    The Wels (giant catfish) of the Danube basin is occasionally willing to have a munch. Though some of the munchees are fishermen which have been so unkind as to try and catch it. Not always, though:

https://www.thelocal.de/20160825/6-foot-catfish-attacks-woman-in-bavarian-lake/

And Leon assumes, incorrectly, that pacus and the like have not been introduced:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/men-in-sweden-warned-after-sighting-of-testicleeating-fish-8755664.html
    Hah

On the climb back to my cabin just now i saw a biiig snake. So maybe not so safe
    Europe’s most dangerous snake lives in your neck of the woods:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_ammodytes

Not very dangerous on a world scale, though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ~This thread is

limping on in a caretaker role

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317

The question is, who should be next Chancellor?

The correct answer is Gove, but I doubt any of the contenders would trust him in the job.

This is a bit like the Arsenal fans wondering why they don't give Jack Wilshere another go. Gove was overrated in the first place, seems to have had/be having a breakdown since and has been anonymous in all his recent roles.
    No not really. What he has been is quietly efficient and effective. Which is exactly what I would want in a Minister.
    I don't like him, but I admire his professionalism.
    I have something of a soft spot for him. He reminds me of Keith Joseph. He knows he is not popular and he knows he probably doesn't have what it takes for the top job - even if his ex wife used to think otherwise. But he also has a cracking brain on him and exactly the sort of attention to detail that Johnson lacks. I also get the impression he genuinely wants to get on with people across the political spectrum. A policy man rather than a leader and we could do with more of them in Parliament and in Government.
    Absolutely. I've always got on well with him and found him positively interested in new ideas.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Today's local by-elections may not tell us much about the effects of the events of the last 24 hours. There is only one Con defence - in Mole Valley. There are Lab defences in Camden, Hackney, Milton Keynes, and Welwyn Hatfield. Finally a Resident defence in Epsom and Ewell and an Ind defence in Chesterfield. I believe Camden and Milton Keynes are counting tomorrow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

England: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler, Dawid Malan, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, Reece Topley, Matt Parkinson.

Salt not getting in the team seems strange. Do England need 3 left arm seam bowlers?

Was it considered cheating to use Bairstow again ?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,343

Cookie said:

biggles said:

Labour 43% (+2)
    Conservative 31% (-4)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (-4)
    Other 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 3 July

Taken this morning

Clive James had a good line on Richard Nixon- something like "they were right to throw him down, but they weren't entirely wrong to raise him up in the first place".

That is how most political failures go- whatever the flaws, there was a point, a substantial human to go with the flaws. True of Brown, May, Major... arguably even true of Corbyn, for all he would have been a terrible PM and has a lot of culpability for where the country now is.

Johnson, like Trump, is in a different circle of Hell. They both failed hideously, with bad consequences for democracy, and in ways that were utterly predictable.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,488

Andy_JS said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Labour 43% (+2)
    Conservative 31% (-4)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 2% (-4)
    Other 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 3 July

Taken this morning

Rule of thumb: think of some unimaginably mad opinion, and ask twenty random people about it. One of them will agree.
    That's your baseline for views that can only be the result of Foaming Dog Fever. If you find more than 5% who hold that view, you're onto a real phenomenon.
    The BBC found a number of people feeling sorry for Johnson in Chichester and Cheltenham.
    Sure.

Johnson's Conservatives won 58% of the vote in 2019 in Chichester and 48% in Cheltenham. Support for the Conservative Party will have fallen quite a bit since then, and support for Johnson even more. But it's not going to be hard to find people for a vox pop who liked him in 2019, like him now, and are sorry he's leaving.

Even in a by-election like Tiverton and Honiton, with a huge anti-Tory swing and reduced turnout, 16k voted Tory, which is only a little under half the number in 2019, and a lot of people in absolute terms and as a percentage (not far short of 40%). It was abysmal given the starting point... but you're not going to struggle to find Conservatives.

For comparison, John Major went from 42% of the vote in 1992 to just under 31% in 1997. It was a disaster for the Conservatives, but it means around three-quarters of 1992 supporters stuck with him (roughly - I know turnout changes, there's churn, and some people move to the great electoral roll in the sky etc).

There are also people who aren't politically engaged and just say "well, he's lost his job - that's sad for him and I sympathise". Which is quite a nice way to be, I suppose.

I'm always hugely sceptical about TV/radio vox pops for that reason. Even if a by-election or whatever is apocalyptic for the incumbent party, about one in three of the people the journo talks to will be supporting them.
    Judging from the vox pops his core supporters are boomers in sunglasses wandering around provincial high streets during the daytime.
    So, a few of the many @SeanT 's?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

They should have more faith in the voting public. Maggies downfall and then Tory Sleaze contaminated the Tory brand for over 10 years.

This Tory Party will be no different, especially when they elect another vacuous fruitcake into No.10
    What happened to the sane ones. Philip Hammond for instance. Surely there was a time before the airheads like Dorries took control of the cabinet
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Andy_JS said:

Nicola Sturgeon has seen off three Tory prime ministers.

I hate that expression. Seeing off suggests someone was key to the other going, which is not always so.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I hate that expression. Seeing off suggests someone was key to the other going, which is not always so.
    Maybe:

Nicola Sturgeon has seen out three Tory prime ministers.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

omg just remmbered the resignation honours list. Arise Lady Lulu of Lytle.

https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1545084643812204545

Correction - resignation dishonours list.

WHY in hell should The Caretaker be allowed ANY privileges or whatever that are NOT expressly provided for by statute law? That can and should be changed pronto to tighten the leash if need be.

Screw what's customary, traditional, expected - BJx2 has forfeited ANY right to such consideration.
    He could scrawl it on lavender wall paper.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I was being sarcastic but it probably didn't come across.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC: Grant Shapps seriously considering a leadership bid.

Oh god we're going to have like 20 different non-entities coming forward to waste there and our time again aren't we?
    I hope so. Thatd be hilarious.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe:

Nicola Sturgeon has seen out three Tory prime ministers.
    The Queen has seen out eight SNP leaders.
This discussion has been closed.