Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The front pages on the Liar King’s desperate attempt to survive – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    He remains PM.

Hmmmm. Why do a get a sinking feeling about how this will end?

He remains in office, spending every moment trying to find some way to stay as PM.

God knows what he will come up with in next three months.

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Tory MPs already saying he can't stay on
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    dixiedean said:

Meeting with Brady precipitated this.
    Maybe a majority of letters?

Brady must have done a hernia trying to lift his mail bag up the steps into #10.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Boris Johnson needs to hand in the seals of office, apologise to Her Majesty & advise her to call for a Caretaker Prime Minister.

To take over today so that Ministers can get back to work & we can choose a new Conservative Leader to try & repair the damage & rebuild trust. https://twitter.com/georgefreemanmp/status/1544929459286966272
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    #Penny22

#FreshLeadershipFreshStart
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398

We will need an interim government. He *cannot* stay on as nobody will serve with him.

Let him have one last Ukrainian trip
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    pigeon said:

Rugby on Sky News stating he's going to appear outside No.10 today. Probably a resignation, though his behaviour has been so outrageous I wouldn't be wholly surprised by a "we fight on, we fight to win" statement.

Even at this stage, I'll only believe he's given up when he says it in public for the record.

Even then he might be lying!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited July 2022
    The 1922 Committee should continue to change the rules and get rid of him. He's busted, utterly without dignity, respect, or judgement, and absolutely untrustworthy.

Throw the egotistical creature of deceit overboard and don't listen to a word he says. He can't be trusted, either to keep his word or to act in the national interest.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    Out of the loop??

Rt. Hon Ben Wallace MP
    @BWallaceMP
    ·
    22m

United Kingdom government official
    A number of us have an obligation to keep this country safe,no matter who is PM. The Party has a mechanism to change leaders and that is the mechanism which I advise colleagues to use. In the meantime,the public would not forgive us if we left these Offices of State empty.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013

pigeon said:

Rugby on Sky News stating he's going to appear outside No.10 today. Probably a resignation, though his behaviour has been so outrageous I wouldn't be wholly surprised by a "we fight on, we fight to win" statement.

Even at this stage, I'll only believe he's given up when he says it in public for the record.

Every media outlet is confirming his resignation today and indeed to stay in office during his successor election campaign
    That's his proposal. Whether it lasts the hour remains to be seen.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    tlg86 said:

Boris Johnson today overtook Neville Chamberlain in term of days as PM. Here are the upcoming PMs he'll overtake if he stays until September:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    Viscount Palmerston (first stint) - 06/08/2022
    James Callaghan - 21/08/2022
    Henry Addington - 16/09/2022

Its obvious Boris i'll go in the autumn is about surpassing Tessa.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

As much as I loathe Johnson , Zahawis antics over the last 48 hrs have been reprehensible .

Yes, forget him.

If Boris goes Wallace or Mordaunt are the only viable successors now from my point of view
    Good morning @HYUFD

These are difficult days for you and to be fair you have been totally loyal to Johnson, but I hope you can now accept it is over and join those of us who want a conservative party with integrity and decency and to win the next GE

I will be rejoining the party once Johnson leaves
    Really? Why will you rejoin? Boris didn't do this by himself. He was put there by the Tories.
    I am a conservative and his brexit, covid and Ukraine actions were fine, but his behaviour since Paterson to Pincher changed everything for me and I resigned from the party

I expect there will be many rejoining the party now
    The Tory party has proven itself a shambolic disgrace. The only sensible course is to boot it out so that it can sort itself out.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

That giant barrage you can hear? That's Labour and LibDem and SNP foxes being shot!

No it's the Tory party circular firing squad.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Tory GE victory far more likely now.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs already saying he can't stay on

Is this one of the rare occasions when the LotO *should* table a VoNC?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Look forward to seeing the Tory posters accusing Labour of being in a coalition of chaos if they win in 2024!

Do you think the break up of the Union will be any better than this?
    The biggest danger to the Union are the Tories not Labour .
    No the biggest danger to the Union are the SNP if the UK government gives into them until they get what they want
    Huh? The official PB line is that the SNP don’t want independence. Please keep rank Private Franco.
    DomCum saying "Evict TODAY or he'll cause CARNAGE, even now he's playing for time & will try to stay"
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Even then he might be lying!
    14 million voted for me at the next election - it is only right that their views are once again heard so today I announce there will be a general election on August 18th.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    kle4 said:

We will need an interim government. He *cannot* stay on as nobody will serve with him.

One way.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

NEW THREAD

kle4 said:

For 2 months.
    Tories be wary this wont automatically mean Labour and others are stymied. Depends on direction chosen and actions of Borisian rebels.
  • Out of the loop??

Rt. Hon Ben Wallace MP
    @BWallaceMP
    ·
    22m

United Kingdom government official
    A number of us have an obligation to keep this country safe,no matter who is PM. The Party has a mechanism to change leaders and that is the mechanism which I advise colleagues to use. In the meantime,the public would not forgive us if we left these Offices of State empty.

Doing a Braverman.

That's what I advised Wallace and Truss to do. Truss seems to have kept radio silence until its over.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088

Sky confirming Johnson will resign today and stay in office until his successor is appointed

Unacceptable. Bad for the country, bad for the government, bad for the party.

He should just go.

And for sh*ts and giggles, May should become interim leader...
    Yes, the spectacle of all the ministers who resigned coming back to prop him up is going to be truly ridiculous. There should be discussions with May, or a senior cabinet minister who is willing to recuse themselves from the leadership contest.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022
    I hope someone is watching out for Nadine Dorries Jacob Rees-Mogg and HYUFD

Sky confirming Johnson will resign today and stay in office until his successor is appointed

Unacceptable. Bad for the country, bad for the government, bad for the party.

He should just go.

And for sh*ts and giggles, May should become interim leader...
    Yes, the spectacle of all the ministers who resigned coming back to prop him up is going to be truly ridiculous. There should be discussions with May, or a senior cabinet minister who is willing to recuse themselves from the leadership contest.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

That can of course can be an interim PM.....

Theresa May is ready to nip over to Windsor.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    I have a meeting in four minutes. Four minutes to skip and jump and laugh....The Clown is out, the Clown is out!

It is better than England simultaneously winning the Footy World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and every other sport through to tiddlywinks World Cup. Oh joyous days!

tlg86 said:

Boris Johnson today overtook Neville Chamberlain in term of days as PM. Here are the upcoming PMs he'll overtake if he stays until September:

Theresa May - 03/08/2022
    Viscount Palmerston (first stint) - 06/08/2022
    James Callaghan - 21/08/2022
    Henry Addington - 16/09/2022

Its obvious Boris i'll go in the autumn is about surpassing Tessa.
    Time for May to make an intervention right now. To twist the knife.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    He can't possibly stay till autumn, not in these circumstances. He's already shat the bed on that one.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I think Brady and Boris have done a deal whereby he's allowed to stay on whilst a new leader is chosen. Brady is a fair umpire of the 1922 but always a bit defferential toward the current PM when it comes to the style of allowing them to depart.
    Cabinet & ministers will stay on with the template Wallace laid out 'Staying in post not for Boris but for the good of the country'. Nadine Dorries can have 5 portfolios for a few months.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    I suspect history will be kinder to Boris than PB

He’s also achieved more than any PM since Blair at least. He got Brexit done. He destroyed Corbyn. He stood up for Ukraine
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 403
    Surely we can now have a lengthy, fractious debate as to when autumn officially starts…
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Fraser Nelson R4 - shortlist of 2 by end of next week, possibly accelerated party members vote so get done sooner.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Lol - Fraser Nelson comes out for Zahawi as next leader

What a numpty!
  • Jonathan said:

Just a reminder Boris Johnson is still control of our nuclear weapons.

War with Russia is an out for Boris. I wouldn’t put it past him.
    Surely there are safeguards to prevent Trident being used for solely narrow political purposes?
    It's obviously all irrelevant now, but yes.

This point was made similarly with Trump - Presidents and PMs have the "nuclear codes" but all they do is authorise action. All the stuff about the boss hitting a red button directly connected to a launch timer is just Hollywood fantasy. The codes are simply an administrative step - a necessary and important one, but not a sufficient one.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    Jonathan said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

As much as I loathe Johnson , Zahawis antics over the last 48 hrs have been reprehensible .

Yes, forget him.

If Boris goes Wallace or Mordaunt are the only viable successors now from my point of view
    Good morning @HYUFD

These are difficult days for you and to be fair you have been totally loyal to Johnson, but I hope you can now accept it is over and join those of us who want a conservative party with integrity and decency and to win the next GE

Really? Why will you rejoin? Boris didn't do this by himself. He was put there by the Tories.
    I am a conservative and his brexit, covid and Ukraine actions were fine, but his behaviour since Paterson to Pincher changed everything for me and I resigned from the party

The Tory party has proven itself a shambolic disgrace. The only sensible course is to boot it out so that it can sort itself out.
    The conservative party is known for changing and winning elections and while a hung parliament looks likely do not underestimate the desire to win again

He can't possibly stay till autumn, not in these circumstances. He's already shat the bed on that one.

+1

Half his colleagues have published what they think of him in writing - how can they slither back to their ministerial desks, salaries and limos?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

That giant barrage you can hear? That's Labour and LibDem and SNP foxes being shot!

Yep that was and is my fear from a party political point of view (as a LD) rather than what is good for the country which of course is more important.

However Boris, in particular in the last few days, has done unnecessary damage to the Tory party. A lot can and will change in the next year for good or bad.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

50 resignations from 120. At a time when “we are facing the most serious military threat in Europe since the Second World War”.

Can’t this joker see that the implosion of his government is to the benefit of only one person? His opposite number in Moscow.

What a selfish donkey D he is.

He fails to recognise the common thread behind all his problems - himself. He thinks jealous people are persecuting him. It's a sad sight.
    Johnson has spent his entire life lying his way out of tight corners. Thanks to his privileged background and sense of entitlement it has worked for 50 odd years. I think he is genuinely baffled that it seems to have stopped working so he just doubling down

I have a meeting in four minutes. Four minutes to skip and jump and laugh....The Clown is out, the Clown is out!

It is better than England simultaneously winning the Footy World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and every other sport through to tiddlywinks World Cup. Oh joyous days!

Indeed.

Now, which poisonous idiot are the demented elderly membership of the Tory party going to inflict upon us next?
  • Scott_xP said:

What if he is writing 2 speeches...

Very good
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    NEW THREAD
  • pigeon said:

I was trying to work out the fly half pun for a while before I realised Rugby was a typo!
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Are you sure?

Johnson staying on with the goodwill of the Conservative Party for several months suggests more like party poppers being opened by opposition parties to me.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Yes, forget him.

Good morning @HYUFD

The conservative party is known for changing and winning elections and while a hung parliament looks likely do not underestimate the desire to win again
    Just like Boris.
    So if he manages to stay on until Tory Conference (late September), where does he get to in the service league?
  • Pulpstar said:

I think Brady and Boris have done a deal whereby he's allowed to stay on whilst a new leader is chosen. Brady is a fair umpire of the 1922 but always a bit defferential toward the current PM when it comes to the style of allowing them to depart.
    Cabinet & ministers will stay on with the template Wallace laid out 'Staying in post not for Boris but for the good of the country'. Nadine Dorries can have 5 portfolios for a few months.

Brady is a fool if he places any faith at all in anything coming out of Boris's mouth.
    edited July 2022
    Antony Seldon agreeing with my point that he can't possibly expect to stay on even as caretaker

This thread will step down - with immediate effect!

This discussion has been closed.