Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The front pages on the Liar King’s desperate attempt to survive – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2022 in General
imageThe front pages on the Liar King’s desperate attempt to survive – politicalbetting.com

Another set of terrible front pages for Johnson as he refuses to face reality and accept that his time as prime minister is coming to an end.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    That ticks every box.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    edited July 2022
    third.... in the charge of the Lightweight Brigade...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    So many resignation letters that they made a sodding wordcloud
    https://twitter.com/alexwilks88/status/1544734709372043264
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    As others observed yesterday:

Mr Meeks:

I’ve already made this point once but I’ll make it again. Given the last 36 hours, is it likely that the Tories would let Boris Johnson remain as Prime Minister while they select a new leader? Who would serve in his Cabinet?

I don’t think so. So there will be a stopgap PM.

https://twitter.com/alastairmeeks/status/1544879436952117253

Surely key criterion is not wanting job permanently - which might favour May over Raab, for example.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    I don't think the Times is being accurate. No one yet is proposing the Ceaucescu approach.
    Nigelb said:

its an interesting way of looking at it and sums up the British tendency to talk around the issue... lots of government, country etc but nothing about the PM himself.....
    BREAKING: Australia approves fourth coronavirus vaccine dose for those aged above 30

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1544889863157469184

Nigelb said:

its an interesting way of looking at it and sums up the British tendency to talk around the issue... lots of government, country etc but nothing about the PM himself.....
    Well you wouldn’t expect ‘wanker’ to appear in many formal letters released to the public. Though the absence of ‘barnacle’ did surprise me.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    edited July 2022
    deleted
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Well you wouldn’t expect ‘wanker’ to appear in many formal letters released to the public. Though the absence of ‘barnacle’ did surprise me.
    Or "Limpet"...
    Question for @rcs1000 - do you think US inflation might have peaked ?
    They are in a completely different place to Europe when it comes to energy prices, something that currently dominates our worldview.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MaxPB said:

Had a bit of a health scare overnight, sudden rise in BP to 150/107, heart rate going mad, felt like I was about to have a stroke or heart attack. Wife rushed me to A&E where I still sit waiting after my second ECG of the night but happily my BP is back down to 124/77. Very lucky that my parents live nearby and were able to rush over as we got ready to go and stay with Jen.

Had a real life flash before your eyes moment and what's worrying is that no one can figure out what caused it.

Take care. Have you been working too hard or under stress?
    ‘Mandate’…

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544805277538582531
    The Tory whips office has calculated Boris Johnson would get the backing of just 65 Tory MPs in a second confidence vote.

That’s out of almost 360 Tory MPs - so support from less than a fifth. Boris allies have been discussing that today. More in @Telegraph tomorrow.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    Spot on from Mike.

Interestingly, this morning's Mail online is less loyal than their printed version last night. I wonder if they are getting feedback from their readers? Or could it be that there's a also a war going on at Northcliffe House?

The online Mail leads with a headline that describes is as his 'shameless battle to remain PM'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    I didn't get much sleep. For those of us who have watched, studied and enjoyed politics over many years there has been nothing like this.

Is it equivalent to Trump's final months? There are certainly similarities.

This wicked clown needs to be removed from Downing St. I think it's a real shame the British people may not get the chance to deliver the coup de grace.
    MaxPB said:

Had a bit of a health scare overnight, sudden rise in BP to 150/107, heart rate going mad, felt like I was about to have a stroke or heart attack. Wife rushed me to A&E where I still sit waiting after my second ECG of the night but happily my BP is back down to 124/77. Very lucky that my parents live nearby and were able to rush over as we got ready to go and stay with Jen.

Had a real life flash before your eyes moment and what's worrying is that no one can figure out what caused it.

Really sorry to hear this. I'm not a medic but adrenaline (and panic) causes bp surges like that - mine has gone higher than yours did on any number of occasions.

I hope you didn't have to wait too long in A&E to be seen and that you can get it checked out. Hopefully you can take it easy for a few days. Rest up as much as you can and try not to worry too much about it.

I'm not sure politics played any part but I couldn't sleep last night. It was all too 'out of the ordinary'.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

Really sorry to hear this. I'm not a medic but adrenaline (and panic) causes bp surges like that - mine has gone higher than yours did on any number of occasions.

I hope you didn't have to wait too long in A&E to be seen and that you can get it checked out. Hopefully you can take it easy for a few days. Rest up as much as you can and try not to worry too much about it.

I'm not sure politics played any part but I couldn't sleep last night. It was all too 'out of the ordinary'.
    I slept well last night - I think I was in a popcorn-induced coma...
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Andy_JS said:

Next Con leader:

Mordaunt 5
    Sunak 7.5
    Wallace 9
    Truss 9.6
    Javid 10.5
    Zahawi 12
    Hunt 13.5
    Tugendhat 15
    Eustice 21
    Gove 23
    Raab 40
    Braverman 44
    51 bar

I hope it's Penny Mordaunt.
    I can understand why. There are certainly worse names on that list. A lot worse.

But are you actually an elector?
    Baker should be added to the list of contenders as he’s said he’s actively looking at running.
    Outsider, but far more credible than Braverman.
    Nigelb said:

Baker should be added to the list of contenders as he’s said he’s actively looking at running.

If we get as far as 10am, is Braverman actually going to appear to answer questions as a Government Minister?

The question is this: what does Johnson think he can achieve from here? What does he think he can do? How does he intend to get the Conservative Party's MPs back on board? (I say the party's MPs instead of 'his' MP's as the majority are obviously not 'his' any more).

I just cannot see a way back for him from here.

According to his PPS last night he can charm them back into supporting him (again).

I think he honestly believes it.
    “Mortally wounded,” says the ⁦@Telegraph⁩.

Some of today’s front pages. https://twitter.com/KarinBBC/status/1544914317916643330/photo/1
    At this rate, given Boris Johnson keeps using the war in Ukraine as a reason to stay in power, it might need a phone call from @ZelenskyyUa to convince him otherwise…
    https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1544913661315235840

The question is this: what does Johnson think he can achieve from here? What does he think he can do? How does he intend to get the Conservative Party's MPs back on board? (I say the party's MPs instead of 'his' MP's as the majority are obviously not 'his' any more).

I just cannot see a way back for him from here.

There isn’t one.

But his party has been so supine for so long, that it goes some way to explaining his state of delusion. I think he might not adjust to the new reality until he’s been kicked out.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Take care. Have you been working too hard or under stress?
    He has a 1 month old. So yes.
    As I mentioned last night, I think this will put the Conservatives out of office for a generation. Yesterday was their Black Wednesday Mk II.

Had he have gone gracefully, with a seemly succession process, it's possible they could have turned things around in two years.

Now we have a party in utter chaos. Disunity never plays out well in the polls and 'disunity' doesn't even come close to what we now have going on.

It's a total shambles and no longer will we speak of the ruthless tory party. At almost every turn they have stuffed this up.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

What a toddler.
    MaxPB said:

Sounds scary. Episodes of palpitations are a feature of post covid, but nearly all seem to be benign sinus tachycardia. Important to properly get checked out.

• ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Scott_xP said:

6:30 am, and I already need a new irony meter.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ping said:

Alastair Meeks on Twitter;

Note, the Mail is still, even after yesterday's demolition derby, supporting Boris Johnson:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10989609/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-truth-Mr-Johnson-stands-head-shoulders-assassins.html

Surely this can only be born out of Paul Dacre's desire for ennoblement? Surprising that his journalists aren't embarrassed but I suppose work for hacks is hard to come by these days
    Currently in the diary for today at 12 is a speech on ‘Restoring Faith in Politics’ by… Theresa May. 👀
    https://twitter.com/TalyaVarga/status/1544916345820790786
    Gender of next Con leader:

Male 1.29
    Female 3.05

Gender of next Lab leader:

Female 1.54
    Male 2.22

Women leaders of Labour, the Conservatives, the SNP, the English Greens, the Scottish Greens, Sinn Féin and the Alliance Party?

Do Ed Davey, Adam Price, Jeffrey Donaldson, Doug Beattie, Colum Eastwood and Alex Salmond start to look a little antediluvian?
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Heathener said:

As I mentioned last night, I think this will put the Conservatives out of office for a generation. Yesterday was their Black Wednesday Mk II.

Had he have gone gracefully, with a seemly succession process, it's possible they could have turned things around in two years.

Now we have a party in utter chaos. Disunity never plays out well in the polls and 'disunity' doesn't even come close to what we now have going on.

It's a total shambles and no longer will we speak of the ruthless tory party. At almost every turn they have stuffed this up.

Maybe. Maybe not.
    They have more unity than they have had for a long time. Against Boris.
    If they have any sense the MPs will give overwhelming backing to one candidate and skip the members vote.
    Boris Johnson exit year:

2022 1.02
    2023 30
    2024 or later 38
    Roger said:

Surely this can only be born out of Paul Dacre's desire for ennoblement? Surprising that his journalists aren't embarrassed but I suppose work for hacks is hard to come by these days

BoZo's resignation honours (assuming he actually resigns) are going to be WILD
    'He's not the President.'

Politics Professor Tim Bale says 'only a narcissistic populist like Boris Johnson' would believe he had a 'personal mandate' to continue as Prime Minister.

@TomSwarbrick1 https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1544915722970832896/video/1
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Nigelb said:

His Ministerial career to date is pretty unimpressive. I think I recall an interview where he said himself he preferred being a backbench MP.

Braverman has bad judgement, she has allowed herself to be humiliated as Attorney General. I understand why she would agree to serve in the government, but she made no attempt to exercise independence as a lawyer in this role, she just did whatever she was told to do in a wholly unconvincing way.

I would say that Kemi Badenoch is potentially a more interesting candidate. Also, I wouldn't rule out Priti Patel.

Scott_xP said:

Politics Professor Tim Bale says 'only a narcissistic populist like Boris Johnson' would believe he had a 'personal mandate' to continue as Prime Minister.

And FUDHY.

Oh wait, you were right first time.
    edited July 2022
    As a realistic counter to Leon's 'everything is alright in the world of travel' here's a good piece on tourism in Bali.

Bali went from over 6 million tourists in 2019 to 45 tourists in 2020. Yes, 45 tourists.

The resident interviewed in the piece reckons it will take a decade to recover. My several friends in SE Asia think the same. The more optimistic suggest a decade to recover. Many say it will never return to how it was

Yes, you can still travel. But covid has not gone away. Vaccine passes are required. Everywhere restrictions are far greater than they were. The tourist infrastructures have broken down. There is flight chaos in the UK and elsewhere. And a lot of the fun has been sucked out of it. Why have I not travelled much in the last 2 years? Quite simply, sitting on a long haul flight in a mask and going through a heap of aggro at overseas airports and hotels is the last thing I want to do when I travel. I go abroad to enjoy local cuisine and culture. To relax. To breathe the vibrancy of other worlds.

In short, travel was fun. I have lived and travelled outside the UK most of my life, up to when covid hit. My last trip abroad was to Asia in early 2020. The place was already becoming a ghost town. Until I'm convinced that from leaving my door to returning it will be a fun experience I shall continue to avoid it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61992300
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    MaxPB said:

Glad to hear you are all ok
    A little commented feature of yesterday was Starmer's bravura performance at PMQ's which is in no small way responsible for what followed. Hopefully that'll be his new year zero. He looked every bit the leader Labour have been missing for the last 14 years.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Heathener said:

As a realistic counter to Leon's 'everything is alright in the world of travel' here's a good piece on tourism in Bali.

Bali went from over 6 million tourists in 2019 to 45 tourists in 2020. Yes, 45 tourists.

The resident interviewed in the piece reckons it will take a decade to recover. My several friends in SE Asia think the same. The more optimistic suggest a decade to recover. Many say it will never return to how it was

Yes, you can still travel. But covid has not gone away. Vaccine passes are required. Everywhere restrictions are far greater than they were. The tourist infrastructures have broken down. There is flight chaos in the UK and elsewhere. And a lot of the fun has been sucked out of it. Why have I not travelled much in the last 2 years? Quite simply, sitting on a long haul flight in a mask and going through a heap of aggro at overseas airports and hotels is the last thing I want to do when I travel. I go abroad to enjoy local cuisine and culture. To relax. To breathe the vibrancy of other worlds.

In short, travel was fun. I have lived and travelled outside the UK most of my life, up to when covid hit. My last trip abroad was to Malaysia in February 2020. KL was already becoming a ghost town. Until I'm convinced that from leaving my door to returning it will be a fun experience I shall continue to avoid it.

My brief experience in 2021 was bad - too many anxiety inducing rules.
    My experience in 2022 was that it is fine; apart from the airport was depressing and everything was a bit more expensive.
    As long as the rules (vaccine passports, masks etc) go then it is fine.
    Heathener said:

In short, travel was fun. I have lived and travelled outside the UK most of my life, until covid hit. Until I'm convinced that from leaving my door to returning it will be a fun experience I shall continue to avoid it.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. I don’t think we’ll bother ever again. Bali itself ok, but nowhere remotely close to the marketing and hype. But Gili Trawangan is easily the worst tourist destination I’ve ever set foot in. Closest to hell on earth I ever want to see.

For Europeans, Indonesia is just poor value for money as a one-off destination. Another matter if you’re down in that region anyway.

Incidentally, the Scottish tourist industry recovered in no time. Far too bloody busy in fact. I blame Instagram, TikTok etc. The country is simply too photogenic.

Roger said:

A little commented feature of yesterday was Starmer's bravura performance at PMQ's which is in no small way responsible for what followed. Hopefully that'll be his new year zero. He looked every bit the leader Labour have been missing for the last 14 years.

The Liason Committee was even more brutal, and is a far more taxing dissection of the PM than the theatre of PMQs.
  • Roger said:

That depends on Durham Police, does it not?
    Former Tory Chief Whip @JulianSmithUK says “Boris Johnson is holding out in a Trumpian style, trying to write the next chapter of his memoirs”.

Says under our constitution he can’t continue without party’s backing.

“The PM is testing that very strongly and very concerningly.”

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544919139789193216
    Roger said:

What do you make of his new BritNat paraphernalia?

Scots undeserving of democracy.
    Brexit is terrific.
    Neat wee moustache developing on the upper lip.
    Foxy said:

The Liason Committee was even more brutal, and is a far more taxing dissection of the PM than the theatre of PMQs.

I think the Lebedev admission will ultimately be important

Heathener said:

In short, travel was fun. I have lived and travelled outside the UK most of my life, until covid hit. Until I'm convinced that from leaving my door to returning it will be a fun experience I shall continue to avoid it.

[...]

Incidentally, the Scottish tourist industry recovered in no time. Far too bloody busy in fact. I blame Instagram, TikTok etc. The country is simply too photogenic.

Yep I staycated in the Western Highlands last autumn. Took the wonderful overnight sleeper to Fort William. Had an absolutely glorious time.

Aye it's a bonnie bonnie land. Love Scotland.
    He made it through the night but Brandon Lewis is the latest Cabinet minister to go. Another minister who has been fiercely loyal… 👇 https://twitter.com/brandonlewis/status/1544921034368901122
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

In short, travel was fun. I have lived and travelled outside the UK most of my life, up to when covid hit. My last trip abroad was to Malaysia in February 2020. KL was already becoming a ghost town. Until I'm convinced that from leaving my door to returning it will be a fun experience I shall continue to avoid it.

My experience in 2022 was that it is fine; apart from the airport was depressing and everything was a bit more expensive.
    I would dispute 45 tourists in 2020.... the lockdown in Indonesia started in late March..... that implies that nil visitors from Jan, Feb and Mat.... SE asia is still a bit restricted but is open - you can fly in/out of nearly all countries as long as you are vaccinated..... job done.
    With sincere regret I am resigning from Government https://twitter.com/Helen_Whately/status/1544921576449183745/photo/1
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Well, yes, except that I also don't want to have people coughing all over me on a flight either. And I definitely don't want to be catching covid whilst abroad. For both physical and mental health reasons. I don't subscribe to the phantom covid or 'it's just a cold' meme and nor does most of the rest of the world.

Many of the rules are there for good reasons. I see masks are returning to European resorts as covid surges.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/06/holidaymakers-warned-of-rising-coronavirus-cases-at-european-destinations
    A decent and responsible Government relies on honesty, integrity and mutual respect - it is a matter of profound personal regret that I must leave Government as I no longer believe those values are being upheld.

I have submitted my letter of resignation to the Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/brandonlewis/status/1544921034368901122
    edited July 2022

Heathener said:

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. I don’t think we’ll bother ever again. Bali itself ok, but nowhere remotely close to the marketing and hype. But Gili Trawangan is easily the worst tourist destination I’ve ever set foot in. Closest to hell on earth I ever want to see.

For Europeans, Indonesia is just poor value for money as a one-off destination. Another matter if you’re down in that region anyway.

I went to Bali in 1990. Even then it was heavily over touristed and Kuta an Australian Benidorm. During our 3 months backpacking in Asia we only got food poisoning and robbed once, both the same night in Kuta, where we only stayed because of an early flight out.

It is a big island though and central Bali and the Eastern tip quiet and plenty of local culture. Apart from Kuta, we loved it.
    With sincere regret I am resigning from Government

https://twitter.com/helen_whately/status/1544921576449183745
    .@BorisJohnson .@10DowningStreet

Just touching base - we feel the time is right for a press conference.

We have some experience with this sort of thing…

https://twitter.com/TotalSeasons/status/1544799120505901056
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

[...]

Yep I staycated in the Western Highlands last autumn. Took the wonderful overnight sleeper to Fort William. Had an absolutely glorious time.

Ah, the sleeper! God bless her.

My profoundly Anglophile Swedish wife once took it from Fort William to Liverpool (!! don’t ask - Swedes are bonkers). She totally loved it. The journey itself was a sleepless, noisy, juddery trial of endurance, but OMG she just adored the cute little eccentric characters and customs. Like taking a journey back into the 1950s.

I know that part of the world very well. Must’ve canvassed half the doors in Lochaber, and that ain’t easy 😉
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Yesterday's Liaison Committee grilling of Boris is available for your viewing pleasure at
    https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1f7d6322-7f63-4053-85dd-8355cb451c71

It can also be found on Youtube by searching for "liaison committee boris johnson".

Yesterday's Liaison Committee grilling of Boris is available for your viewing pleasure at
    https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1f7d6322-7f63-4053-85dd-8355cb451c71

It can also be found on Youtube by searching for "liaison committee boris johnson".

Adviser passes note telling him to stop talking. Watch to the end. https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1544797610007007232/video/1
    Boris Johnson in 2010 on Gordon Brown, who by comparison never took the country to the depths of this constitutional crisis… https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1544923766572081153/photo/1

Scott_xP said:

Yes what a crackpot! A dangerous megalomaniac with two lunatic outriders.

Lets hope his going rescues Channel 4 and the BBC from the deranged Dorries
    Year of next UK GE:

2024 1.36
    2023 5.6
    2022 10
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

There's an awful lot of unresolved murk out there. And once not-Boris is Prime Minister, his successor has fair reason to let it all fall out.

Starting with that wallpaper, which could be the equivalent of Imelda Marcos's shoe collection.

darkage said:

Heathener said:

I would dispute 45 tourists in 2020.... the lockdown in Indonesia started in late March..... that implies that nil visitors from Jan, Feb and Mat.... SE asia is still a bit restricted but is open - you can fly in/out of nearly all countries as long as you are vaccinated..... job done.
    I'm sorry but this kind of thing lacks reality.

I was in Malaysia in 2020, a country I know extremely well and have lived in. It was a pale, pale, shadow of what it was. Very little open, restrictions everywhere. Masks galore (for good reasons).

And the airport business lounge, which has always been a joyous part of my experience was a godawful pain in the butt. No longer lovely buffets and relaxed atmosphere.

A friend of mine went to Phuket recently and was welcomed at the airport by men in Hazmat suits. He was whisked away for testing and held by them in that state for a couple of hours. I kid you not. Good friend of mine in Bangkok says everything has shut down: all the tourist businesses have just gone.

Yes you can travel. That wasn't the point of the piece, nor what I was saying. It's just no longer FUN.

In my humble opinion.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Heathener said:

Spot on from Mike.

Interestingly, this morning's Mail online is less loyal than their printed version last night. I wonder if they are getting feedback from their readers? Or could it be that there's a also a war going on at Northcliffe House?

The online Mail leads with a headline that describes is as his 'shameless battle to remain PM'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Online Mail has a much broader readership, does it not.
    Don’t waste all your anger on Boris Johnson — save some for his enablers | Aditya Chakrabortty https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/07/anger-boris-johnson-prime-minister-democracy

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

There's an awful lot of unresolved murk out there. And once not-Boris is Prime Minister, his successor has fair reason to let it all fall out.

Starting with that wallpaper, which could be the equivalent of Imelda Marcos's shoe collection.
    Yes that Lebedev remark ought to have been front page news on a normal day. But we're also so used to this kind of what you rightly call murk that it's all water off a duck's back. It's serious though.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    It's starting to look as though the next question will be whether, if the rules are changed and he loses a confidence vote of Tory MPs, he will try to emulate Churchill by remaining prime minister while someone else leads the party...
    With no government minister doing the media round (there aren’t that many left to do it anyway), we have former Health Secretary Matt Hancock in our usual ministerial slot of 0830. Feels a bit 2020.
    https://twitter.com/Annemariealex/status/1544925571704147969
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,009

Mr Meeks:

I’ve already made this point once but I’ll make it again. Given the last 36 hours, is it likely that the Tories would let Boris Johnson remain as Prime Minister while they select a new leader? Who would serve in his Cabinet?

Surely key criterion is not wanting job permanently - which might favour May over Raab, for example.

Or a permanent one is coronated.

The other alternative is that there are several rounds of MP voting over a week and then extreme pressure is put on all the others to withdraw following the final round to skip the members vote.

This only took 12 days for May in 2016.
    edited July 2022

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

[...]

Ah, the sleeper! God bless her.

My profoundly Anglophile Swedish wife once took it from Fort William to Liverpool (!! don’t ask - Swedes are bonkers). She totally loved it. The journey itself was a sleepless, noisy, juddery trial of endurance, but OMG she just adored the cute little eccentric characters and customs. Like taking a journey back into the 1950s.

I know that part of the world very well. Must’ve canvassed half the doors in Lochaber, and that ain’t easy 😉
    Haha excellent about the canvassing.

The Caledonian Sleeper has had a total revamp and is now absolutely stunning. I have been trying not to tell people as I don't want the secret out. But it's now superb. Certainly not noisy.

I had a wonderful deluxe cabin with fresh clean sheets and an ensuite shower room. On a train!

Waking up to a view across the Trossachs and the Rannoch Moor took my breath away.

Highly recommended.

https://www.sleeper.scot/

# Champagne socialist
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Good morning everyone! Not as bright and sunny here today; maybe that's a yet!

What an insane morning politically; I think we all knew Boris Johnson was 'strange' but I don't think we expected him to go as far as he has done. Can he hang on another 14 days to the to the end of the Parliamentary session? I would've said no but after the events of yesterday I think he might. And then he'll be safe, or fairly safe until September. God alone knows what he might do during that period of course!

Can Carrie not talk some sense into him? Or is she part of the problem?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    The 1922 Committee needs to change the rules rapidly so MPs can put the mad dog down.

Typo in Heather’s post - it was 2021.

Bali is recovering and some businesses are as busy as ever, others gone for good - the issue is flights are recovering slower than demand and prices to DPS are very high. Much cheaper to fly to Jakarta and fly from there. The other big issue facing Bali is that prior to the pandemic China was the biggest source of tourists - and they won’t be coming back anytime soon.
    edited July 2022
    For @NickPalmer
    (I believe you’re a fluent Danish speaker, so a wee Swedish editorial from the main liberal broadsheet not beyond you.)

https://www.dn.se/ledare/kristerssons-hyllning-av-sd-ar-faktiskt-helt-forbluffande/

Basically, Ulf Kristersson, the leader of the Moderates, has lost it. He is a total convert to the lure of the Sweden Democrats (as is Ebba Busch, the Christian Democratic leader).

I will not be able to vote for my former party, which I left in 2017, at the September general election. For the first time in my life I am seriously considering voting Social Democrat. It’ll certainly be from that bloc anyway.

What is it with mainstream centre-right parties caving in to the far right? Does nobody read history books nowadays?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

The 1922 Committee needs to change the rules rapidly so MPs can put the mad dog down.

Quite. Christ alone knows why they haven't already. My own best guess is that the failure to act is down to a veto by rump loyalists occupying seats on the current committee. Prolonging the agony like this clearly helps no-one.

Roger said:

Brexit is terrific.
    Apart from the Brexit one which I have reason to believe is no more than a trojan horse to fool the good folk of Hartlepool the Scottish issue will be something he has no control over. He's going to need the 40 or so SNP MPs so they'll be able to do a deal. Of that there's no doubt and he knows it.
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

I was in Malaysia in 2020, a country I know extremely well and have lived in. It was a pale, pale, shadow of what it was. Very little open, restrictions everywhere. Masks galore (for good reasons).

And the airport business lounge, which has always been a joyous part of my experience was a godawful pain in the butt. No longer lovely buffets and relaxed atmosphere.

A friend of mine went to Phuket recently and was welcomed at the airport by men in Hazmat suits. He was whisked away for testing and held by them in that state for a couple of hours. I kid you not. Good friend of mine in Bangkok says everything has shut down: all the tourist businesses have just gone.

Yes you can travel. That wasn't the point of the piece, nor what I was saying. It's just no longer FUN.

In my humble opinion.
    come and visit now (I am in SE Asia),
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

In my humble opinion.
    Travelling in Europe, The Americas and Africa seems back to pre covid, albeit with logistic problems, but it looks like East Asia will be a while longer.
    Boris Johnson will be back in Downing Street study by 8am to continue with his reshuffle, a senior aide tells @estwebber in Playbook

Good luck with that…
    And the dial ticks to 49 resignations as Damian Hinds quits as security minister https://twitter.com/damianhinds/status/1544928142854340608
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson will be back in Downing Street study by 8am to continue with his reshuffle, a senior aide tells @estwebber in Playbook

Good luck with that…

Not reshuffling with a full deck in any sense.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Brexit is terrific.
    Apart from the Brexit one which I have reason to believe is no more than a trojan horse to fool the good folk of Hartlepool the Scottish issue will be something he has no control over. He's going to need the 40 or so SNP MPs so they'll be able to do a deal. Of that there's no doubt and he knows it.
    I just wonder Roger. I realise that there are a lot of decent souls in your party that want to believe the best of him, but I’m inclined to take politicians at their word. Starmer has just basically endorsed the May & Johnson line on the Jocks: we are Untermenschen.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Heathener: I must admit it's funny hearing someone talk about the joys of travelling, and then talking about the horrors of the business lounge not being up to snuff.

How the other 1% live ....

Heathener said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

In my humble opinion.
    come and visit now (I am in SE Asia),
    I've pencilled in January (was November) but I'm not going to travel if it's not fun. I like to immerse myself in 'other' cultures and spend time out and about. I don't want to sit at a restaurant or cafe with masks all around. Nor go on minibuses, or treks, or boat rides with a stack of restrictions. And neither do I want to be holed up on some hotel balcony posting pictures on here because there's so little else going on.

When it all re-opens without restrictions, which means when covid dissipates, then I'll be back.

I accept that some like you are happy to travel under current circumstances and that's great. Just not for me right now, nor I suspect for a lot of people still in the world.

Enjoy it out there :)

Mr Meeks:

Or a permanent one is coronated.

The other alternative is that there are several rounds of MP voting over a week and then extreme pressure is put on all the others to withdraw following the final round to skip the members vote.

This only took 12 days for May in 2016.
    Coronations do not have a great track record, looking at May and Brown. A proper debate on direction and policy is needed. Not that the nutcases of the Tory membership are the best judges.
    DavidL said:

Wake up, can't believe that this is still going on tbh. Don't recall anything quite like it. We have had the odd hiatus such as the period we had to wait for the Coalition Agreement to be signed but I can't recall a time when we simply did not have a functioning government because not enough people were willing to serve.

The 1922 committee really need to get their act together and bring this farce to an end.

I reckon you might have another two months of waking up to this dystopian nightmare.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,237
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

In my humble opinion.

I never said “everything in travel is all right”. I said you can now travel quite easily, certainly in America, Europe and much of Asia. I know because I’ve just done it, for the last 3 months.

Good morning @Heathener from my little patio by the river Rijeka, Montenegro

This discussion has been closed.