Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs rarely lose when they go into a by-election “full gas” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BBCFLauraKT/status/1539679203054047232?t=vU38AGbTQ9m2v-RiORHumw&s=19

BREAKING: Jerry Hall is set to divorce Rupert Murdoch after being upset at him living much longer than she expected x

Well, she was more age appropriate than his last wife.
    Still blows my mind that Mick Jagger and Rupert Murdoch are custard cousins.
    Sorry, sir - a what?
    Two or more people who have had sex with the same person.

We both squirted our custard into her. Now we are custard cousins.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=custard cousins
    Um, thanks (I think!).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,581

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BBCFLauraKT/status/1539679203054047232?t=vU38AGbTQ9m2v-RiORHumw&s=19

BREAKING: Jerry Hall is set to divorce Rupert Murdoch after being upset at him living much longer than she expected x

Sorry, sir - a what?

I wished I seen that post before I searched on the term. Mrs P will be checking my browser history later and I'll have some explaining to do!
    Oh dear, surely you've been on PB long enough to know not to google phrases I have posted on here.

I think I traumatised a few PBers when I talked about Donald Trump 'tossing the salad' in prison.
    Always an education decoding your posts!
  • Options

Some others might be able to speak more to this but I would estimate the makeup of the Labour membership as:

80% soft left/social democrats
    10% very hard left
    10% Blairite/right wing

Agreed except Blairites aren’t “right wing” - they are centre / centre-right at the most extreme. Most are capitalist centre-left.
    * right wing in respect of the Labour Party, probably still more left than Blair at his peak centrist.

Yes thank you for clarifying where I did not :)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

@rcs1000

Agreed. I’d see a DeSantis candidacy as a relief.

Obviously I would never vote for him in a million years, were I American, but he does at least seem within the basic parameters of sane.

If DeSantis won the GOP nomination Trump would be beyond livid and I would put money on him standing as an independent to wreck his chances.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,581

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sorry, sir - a what?

Um, thanks (I think!).
    That's gonna put you off your crumble now isn't it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    OllyT said:

@rcs1000

Obviously I would never vote for him in a million years, were I American, but he does at least seem within the basic parameters of sane.

If DeSantis won the GOP nomination Trump would be beyond livid and I would put money on him standing as an independent to wreck his chances.
    Couldn't he just launch a coup at the Republican National Convention? He would only have lost because of rigging after all.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sorry, sir - a what?

Um, thanks (I think!).
    That's gonna put you off your crumble now isn't it?
    If he's not fancying eating crumble these might be more appealing.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    OllyT said:

@rcs1000

Would be the perfect scenario obviously but I still think DeSantis could win, even in that scenario?

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Two points on DeSantis (before any of you bet large sums on him): First, he may not survive the upcoming gubernatorial election, especially if his opponent is Charlie Crist: Who is about a bipartisan as you get in American politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Crist

Second, his handling of COVID in Florida resulted in thousands of deaths that could have been prevented. Here's an example of his latest blunder:
    "In an astoundingly callous move, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis’s Department of Health has refused to put in an order with the federal government for a supply of the pediatric vaccines for children under 5, leaving pediatricians and parents to scramble on their own. The deadline for placing a preorder was Tuesday, and the 49 other states met the cutoff. The department said in a statement that it “does not recommend” the shot “for all children,” but, after protests, announced on Friday that it would begin accepting orders for shots from doctors and health-care providers. The department is led by state Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo, a DeSantis appointee who has been an outspoken skeptic of coronavirus vaccines."
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/18/ron-desantis-florida-refuses-children-covid-vaccines/

If you want data, take a look at how the COVID death rates in Florida compare to those of other states. Because COVID transmission occurs mostly indoors, I am predicting that there will be a surge of cases -- and deaths -- this summer in Florida, when many retreat to air-conditioned malls, and the like.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115
    On the subject of databases, if Starmer wants a free hit on sanity he could announce Labour will abandon the crazily bureaucratic and expensive Making Tax Digital programme the moment they get into power.

Even if the government steals the idea that would be a huge win for small business.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

@rcs1000

Win/win then? Surely even Kamala Harris couldn't lose under that scenario.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

JUST IN: Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of one of Putin’s former ministers, gave £30,000 to Tories at fundraising dinner on Monday - Daily Mail

https://twitter.com/BNNUK/status/1539370008421203972

British citizen who has given lots of money to a political party gives a bit more money to that party?
    You really do want your insect overlords to give it to you with a barbed wire dildo, don't you?
    I'd rather limit donations from any individual or organisation (including trades unions) to a lower level than 30k.

But until that happens (it never will), some accurate reporting would be preferable to smear by association.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

JUST IN: Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of one of Putin’s former ministers, gave £30,000 to Tories at fundraising dinner on Monday - Daily Mail

British citizen who has given lots of money to a political party gives a bit more money to that party?
    You really do want your insect overlords to give it to you with a barbed wire dildo, don't you?
    I'd rather limit donations from any individual or organisation (including trades unions) to a lower level than 30k.

But until that happens (it never will), some accurate reporting would be preferable to smear by association.
    Read this then

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61080537
  • Options
    So are my actual excel skills utterly useless in job applications?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Irrespective of whether that is dodgy by virtue of her husband's connections, I don't see any reason a political party needs to receive such large donations from someone.

Clamp down with a severe reduction in scale of acceptable donation, from any person or group, and if they cannot survive, tough.
    But WTAF is the Tory party doing taking ANY Russian money in the current climate? They should have run a mile!
    She's a British citizen.
  • Options

No.
  • Options

Problem is lots of people will tack it on whilst being useless with it, so it's hard for someone to know you actually can back it up.

Maybe sprinkle some actual knowledge about it during the interview?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kle4 said:

Irrespective of whether that is dodgy by virtue of her husband's connections, I don't see any reason a political party needs to receive such large donations from someone.

Clamp down with a severe reduction in scale of acceptable donation, from any person or group, and if they cannot survive, tough.
    But WTAF is the Tory party doing taking ANY Russian money in the current climate? They should have run a mile!
    She's a British citizen.
    So is Jeremy Corbyn and I don't want him anywhere near the levers of power either.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

It's striking the amount of opprobrium that The Mail is pouring over Sir Keir personally at the moment. I don't recall them being this brutal with Miliband, Brown or even Blair or Corbyn. Odd. Sir Keir seems a ludicrously unlikely bogeyman.

Shows both the threat they think SKS and the scale of the problems they think Bozo has.
    Johnson absolutely tonked Starmer today at PMQs.

P.S. I wonder if Starmer has had the heads up from Durham that an FPN is on the way.
    You keep saying this, Pete, after every PMQs, whether he did or not. I suspect you are a cchq troll.
    Pete does a special line in irono-masochism. It's good once you get into it.

But anyway, Keir out, Mick in! I don't whether it'll work but he's doing some terrific tory trashing telly.
    I do, and it is, but he was absolutely s*** again. I hate to say this, but I am coming over to BJO way of thinking.
    But not all the way to preferring the Magnificent Muscly Man, I hope. Or that's me and you done.
    No. I will never be a fan of the svelte athlete.I absolutely loathe the self absorbed narcissistic oaf. I am nonetheless frustrated that his opponents are giving him a free ride.

I can't believe what Raab is up to today either and yet Starmer has no answer for it. This Government is riding roughshod over pretty much every convention and the opposition is having no impact whatsoever. Johnson is running rings around everyone, particularly Starmer. Mind you I am not convinced that Streeting or Nandy have an answer either, and as for BJO's preferred choice, Burnham, he would be worse still.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    edited June 2022
    For all the talk of a LibDem deluge I have only seen a Labour activist thus far (I am in the third town after T and H pretty much every day).

Maybe we'll get a teller tomorrow.

We haven't had that many leaflets really either, though maybe neither Tories or LDs have the resources to deliver the villages. Greens haven't even done a freepost, though perhaps that is deliberate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Read this then

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61080537
    "dated 2006".
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kle4 said:

She's a British citizen.
    We've been down this racist rabbit hole before.

Apparently living in the UK for decades, having British citizenship etc is never enough to remove the tar of where some people used to live or were born according to some blood and soil nationalists. 😣

I've experienced this bullshit in real life from utter morons being rude to myself as I lived overseas when I was young, and worse my wife because she had the temerity not to be born in this country, or to move here until she was an adult already. But I didn't expect to see such rampant xenophobia on display on this site. 😠
  • Options

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

She's a British citizen.

Apparently living in the UK for decades, having British citizenship etc is never enough to remove the tar of where some people used to live or were born according to some blood and soil nationalists. 😣

I've experienced this bullshit in real life from utter morons being rude to myself as I lived overseas when I was young, and worse my wife because she had the temerity not to be born in this country, or to move here until she was an adult already. But I didn't expect to see such rampant xenophobia on display on this site. 😠
    It is despicable to see.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    ydoethur said:

On the subject of databases, if Starmer wants a free hit on sanity he could announce Labour will abandon the crazily bureaucratic and expensive Making Tax Digital programme the moment they get into power.

Even if the government steals the idea that would be a huge win for small business.

Have to agree there. WTF is wrong with the current process? It actually works quite well.

Forcing a one person business to buy some sh*t software to fill in their tax form monthly stinks of lobbying by someone. Forcing monthly reporting for a small business which has a very variable income is also nuts.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936

I've said for a while that the creators of Succession should get Logan Roy to marry Liz Hurley.

Roman's reactions would be great.

I still find it hard to believe that the creator of Succession is also one of the creators of Peep Show.

Perhaps a guest appearance from Super Hans?
  • Options

@BlancheLivermore

You'll need to contextualise your Excel skills.

Mention the time we used Excel to do X and it helped us reduce costs/increase sales/target our customers with the best products/etc/delete as applicable.

My friend told me that it saves her about an hour and a half a week in paperwork, and she hasn’t needed my help to update in the three years since I set it up.

Is that the sort of thing?
  • Options

@BlancheLivermore

Mention the time we used Excel to do X and it helped us reduce costs/increase sales/target our customers with the best products/etc/delete as applicable.

My friend told me that it saves her about an hour and a half a week in paperwork, and she hasn’t needed my help to update in the three years since I set it up.

Yes, that sort of example.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I've said for a while that the creators of Succession should get Logan Roy to marry Liz Hurley.

I still find it hard to believe that the creator of Succession is also one of the creators of Peep Show.

How about the acclaimed and serious Chernobyl miniseries, written by the dude who wrote several The Hangover movies and later Scary Movies?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I had someone experienced the internet without coming across that term before. You always know how to educate, sir.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Ha! Not heard that before.
    I'm here to educate and entertain.
    Not sure that I wish to be educated in "Indian English", and I am certainly not entertained.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

How about the acclaimed and serious Chernobyl miniseries, written by the dude who wrote several The Hangover movies and later Scary Movies?
    He has a screenwriting podcast and comes across as an idiot. Truly a mystery how he created Chernobyl.

• Options
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I had someone experienced the internet without coming across that term before. You always know how to educate, sir.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Not sure that I wish to be educated in "Indian English", and I am certainly not entertained.
    Who is an Indian?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070

eek said:

It's striking the amount of opprobrium that The Mail is pouring over Sir Keir personally at the moment. I don't recall them being this brutal with Miliband, Brown or even Blair or Corbyn. Odd. Sir Keir seems a ludicrously unlikely bogeyman.

Shows both the threat they think SKS and the scale of the problems they think Bozo has.
    Johnson absolutely tonked Starmer today at PMQs.

P.S. I wonder if Starmer has had the heads up from Durham that an FPN is on the way.
    You keep saying this, Pete, after every PMQs, whether he did or not. I suspect you are a cchq troll.
    Sorry for the late response, but I was golfing with RT and Alun Cairns, and they said much the same as me.

Beergate has taken the wind out of Starmer's sails. He just needs to go now, he is a liability, and the Daily Mail scents blood.
    I hope you are joking about RT and Cairns

:smiley:

I have never met RT, but I have met, and do correspond with Cairns. I am awaiting s reply from my email sent just after he supported Johnson in the VONC. I explained that my Conservative wife believes him to be "spineless" and she will never again vote for him. He knows I never have, and never will vote for him..
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

Chernobyl is overrated, if it was really that good why haven't they made a second season of Chernobyl?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

@BlancheLivermore

In the format of a STAR response.
    It's all the rage in interviewing these days.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

Chernobyl is overrated, if it was really that good why haven't they made a second season of Chernobyl?
    I believe Putin is working on one.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Have to agree there. WTF is wrong with the current process? It actually works quite well.

Forcing a one person business to buy some sh*t software to fill in their tax form monthly stinks of lobbying by someone. Forcing monthly reporting for a small business which has a very variable income is also nuts.
    I can't see how it's anything other than a junket for accountants, who get their clients to buy the software, provide training on how to use it at a handsome rate, and then make it much harder for them to change as they'd have to do the same thing again with a different accountant. £1900 is what it has so far cost one of my friends, one way and another.

And what will it raise? Not a penny. In fact, it will likely cut tax take as people will be so damn busy filling it in they will be less productive.

It's proof the Treasury are useless c***s as well, of course, but that didn't really need proving after the last 30 years.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I just hosted a Labour “insider”.

No, I don’t think there is much communication between Blair and Keir. I think many New Labour types are still unconvinced that Keir has what it takes.

Blair considered launching a third party around the time of peak Brexit lunacy. I think John Major was also interested or involved, as was Ruth Davison. But it fizzled.

After that Blair was backing Jess Phillips but it’s become clear she’s a bit of an empty vessel. Blair is focusing more on his Institute now, but he still has some influence behind the scenes on things like candidate selection.

My insider suggested that Streeting would “not get through the membership”, and conceded we are all probably stuck with Starmer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

I believe Putin is working on one.
    Don't.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    ohnotnow said:

On the Excel front - it surprises me how little investment there is in training admin staff how to take advantage of it. I know people who use it who don't even realise you can do things like `SUM()` and so developers are paid to replicate Excel instead. To those users it's just a bit list of rows with no functionality beyond splitting them into columns.

Yeah, but people often become impromptu developers and use Excel to build something incredibly complex and sophisticated.

Oh yes.

And broken.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Foxy said:

I see that Mick Lynch is on Question Time tommorow. I normally am not a fan of blood sports, but on this occasion I will make an exception. And some popcorn.

I predict he will steal the show and the hapless fool who has been sent on by Johnson to defend his shitshow will be humiliated.

Lynch could start with Johnson's policy of increasing the wages of the working class which he was trumpeting only, what, six months ago, as a massive benefit of his Brexit.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

Chernobyl is overrated, if it was really that good why haven't they made a second
    season of Chernobyl?
    Putin reportedly has a sequel in mind,
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaporizhzhia_Nuclear_Power_Plant

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,541

No, I don’t think there is much communication between Blair and Keir. I think many New Labour types are still unconvinced that Keir has what it takes.

Blair considered launching a third party around the time of peak Brexit lunacy. I think John Major was also interested or involved, as was Ruth Davison. But it fizzled.

After that Blair was backing Jess Phillips but it’s become clear she’s a bit of an empty vessel. Blair is focusing more on his Institute now, but he still has some influence behind the scenes on things like candidate selection.

My insider suggested that Streeting would “not get through the membership”, and conceded we are all probably stuck with Starmer.

Starmer only goes before the GE if he chooses to do so (including resigning if gets a fine). I think though that him resigning is a definite possibility.
  • Options
    Sunak seems to be saying "70s-style incomes controls, here we come".

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1539640221742297088
  • Options

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
    "Those LibDems you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, Tweeting, and not mating. You sold me... queer LibDems. I want my money back!"
  • Options

Foxy said:

I see that Mick Lynch is on Question Time tommorow. I normally am not a fan of blood sports, but on this occasion I will make an exception. And some popcorn.

I predict he will steal the show and the hapless fool who has been sent on by Johnson to defend his shitshow will be humiliated.

Lynch could start with Johnson's policy of increasing the wages of the working class which he was trumpeting only, what, six months ago, as a massive benefit of his Brexit.

Rachel Maclean has drawn the short straw.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can't see how it's anything other than a junket for accountants, who get their clients to buy the software, provide training on how to use it at a handsome rate, and then make it much harder for them to change as they'd have to do the same thing again with a different accountant. £1900 is what it has so far cost one of my friends, one way and another.

And what will it raise? Not a penny. In fact, it will likely cut tax take as people will be so damn busy filling it in they will be less productive.

It's proof the Treasury are useless c***s as well, of course, but that didn't really need proving after the last 30 years.
    See my post yesterday about Austin and the IRS’s canteen full of paper.

As for making tax digital 3- seconds on Google points me at a free vat reporting tool https://anna.money/free-tools/vat-filing/ so there are plenty round
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383
    This is a very interesting piece of education research from the US.

First multigenerational study of Head Start shows significant gains for second generation
    https://news.nd.edu/news/first-multigenerational-study-of-head-start-shows-significant-gains-for-second-generation/

Head Start for those unaware:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Start_(program)

• Options

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

She's a British citizen.

Bollocks, Barty. Sorry to hear of your personal problems, but for starters how tf do you know where this woman "lives"? The uber rich tend to get about a lot. The reality is she is a Russian with UK citizenship, with very disturbing links to the current Russian government, and with a track record of lobbying the government to recognize the interests of the super rich. Do you think decisions tending to favour the super rich are going to make your own life better or worse?
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h
    Brexit is making the cost of living crisis worse, a new report has found.

So isn't it time for @BorisJohnson to level with the British public and start fixing it?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

===

That is genuine lol funny.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Who?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    This week’s New EUROPEAN: “Six years after the referendum, that list of Brexit benefits in full:” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1539713398803501056/photo/1

• Options
    Kevin Maguire
    @Kevin_Maguire
    ·
    42m
    💥 👇

Mick Whelan is chair of Tulo, the Labour Parry organisation bringing affiliated unions together, as well as Aslef.

Starmer banning frontbenchers going on RMT picket lines is creating internal havoc for zero public gain.

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1539702967133261825
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

@BlancheLivermore

This is how to interview for a job in IT:

https://youtu.be/NuPolrd9yuo
  • Options
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Who?
    Exactly.
    I suspect unavoidable family emergencies, dental appointments and that new standby suspected COVID.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,654

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

So isn't it time for @BorisJohnson to level with the British public and start fixing it?

===

I have noticed oven ready meals that once seemed like a bargain to many are now increasingly costly.
  • Options
    New STATESMAN: “Britain isn’t working” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1539713738277888003/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This week’s New EUROPEAN: “Six years after the referendum, that list of Brexit benefits in full:” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1539713398803501056/photo/1

Utterly disingenuous; I can now order a pint of beer with a crown symbol on it and for that all else is worth it.

Long live England.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

===

I have noticed oven ready meals that once seemed like a bargain to many are now increasingly costly.
    The one that was delivered by that red bus is costing us a fortune, and it wasn’t even ready
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

She's a British citizen.

Bollocks, Barty. Sorry to hear of your personal problems, but for starters how tf do you know where this woman "lives"? The uber rich tend to get about a lot. The reality is she is a Russian with UK citizenship, with very disturbing links to the current Russian government, and with a track record of lobbying the government to recognize the interests of the super rich. Do you think decisions tending to favour the super rich are going to make your own life better or worse?
    The problem is not that she was once Russian, but rather that the source of her vast wealth is favours from Putin to one of his kleptocrats.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Utterly disingenuous; I can now order a pint of beer with a crown symbol on it and for that all else is worth it.

Long live England.
    And we can have black passports, like Croatia. Made in Poland very slowly, by a French company admittedly.
  • Options

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

===

Admirals Pies are now £1.75! That's my 'Freddos cost what?!'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

@BlancheLivermore

I've only had three jobs in the last twenty years. And I didn't have to apply for any of them. I didn't know how to do it then, and I certainly don't now.

What's STAR?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

===

I liked Mr R-M's excuse for HMG not having an economic assessment of the pros and cons. (NB: he was talking TODAY).

'Jacob Rees-Mogg today said the @resfoundation @LSEnews report was 'Project Fear'.

When asked if Govt wd have its own Brexit assessment, he said:
    “I’m not going to make those sorts of assessments because lots were made before the referendum and they are all bilge,”'
  • Options
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

@BlancheLivermore

I've only had three jobs in the last twenty years. And I didn't have to apply for any of them. I didn't know how to do it then, and I certainly don't now.

What's STAR?
    Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

It's silly, but having it to hand seems to help, as interviewers are told to look for it in peoples responses. So you don't forget to state what you personally did

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598

Scott_xP said:

Long live England.
    Eh? The pints always had crowns on them ...
  • Options
    i reporting Polio has been discovered in UK for first time in 40 years.

• Options
    EXC

Sky News understands ministers asked Train Operating Companies to report back on the customer / operational impact of banning rest day work & overtime over the strike period

Ministers want to stop strikers topping up salaries to make up for strike days when they aren’t paid

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1539715989616607233
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Scott_xP said:

Long live England.
    Sadly even that doesn't count as you could before. It just didn't mean anything. Just as we could have had black/blue passports.
  • Options

Not quite as bad as that makes it sound:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61896411

But not ideal either.
  • Options
    My eve of poll betting position for tommorow. Best outcome on Wakefield is a Labour win, Greens in third place, with a sub 40% turnout and 35%+ Tory vote share, with a T+H Con win by less than 3 000 votes.

It isn't an accumulator, but rather separate bets, with that the optimal betting outcome.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

How has it missed that it has provided you with gainful employment reposting every anti-Brexit tweet ever made on PB?
    He's damn good at it though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

===

I liked Mr R-M's excuse for HMG not having an economic assessment of the pros and cons. (NB: he was talking TODAY).

'Jacob Rees-Mogg today said the @resfoundation @LSEnews report was 'Project Fear'.

“I’m not going to make those sorts of assessments because lots were made before the referendum and they are all bilge,”'
    Yes, they were such utter bilge that he moved his hedge fund from London and Somerset to Dublin.

Just in case...
  • Options

19 years (2003):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61896411

• Options
    Incidentally I wonder if the DfE in England will ever have a moment of self-awareness to compare with this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61897975
  • Options
    Foxy said:

My eve of poll betting position for tommorow. Best outcome on Wakefield is a Labour win, Greens in third place, with a sub 40% turnout and 35%+ Tory vote share, with a T+H Con win by less than 3 000 votes.

It isn't an accumulator, but rather separate bets, with that the optimal betting outcome.

Where can you vote on winning margins?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally I wonder if the DfE in England will ever have a moment of self-awareness to compare with this:

Again?

Aren't the thread headers supposed to be the obvious QTWAIN?
  • Options
    Even though it’s on a piece of paper, I think my home cooked dinner of baked salmon and veg looks good enough to share!

• Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

I'll file this under 'Duh'

There was a general sense that "process is more important than supporting a school or principal" for the authority, the review added.

"Decision making in the Education Authority can be characterised by 'has the process been followed?'" it said.

Of course, nothing will change, since these things are always so bloody obvious that everyone involved already knew it was the case, so why would admitting it lead to alteration?

In which case self awareness about it might be even worse.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Where can you vote on winning margins?
    Smarkets.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    kyf_100 said:

The two series share an absolutely bone dry, dark sense of humour. Both are brilliantly funny and biting satires. They're two of the best TV shows ever made. It isn't that hard to believe they share a writer is it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

If the membership voted for Starmer they would vote for Streeting. However given Labour leads in the polls and Starmer leads as preferred PM they are not going to replace him
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Scott_xP said:

Big one now though if we truly are about to throw off the chains of human rights.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXC

Sky News understands ministers asked Train Operating Companies to report back on the customer / operational impact of banning rest day work & overtime over the strike period

Ministers want to stop strikers topping up salaries to make up for strike days when they aren’t paid

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1539715989616607233

So, Ministers want longer lasting disruption?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

It ended free movement which is what the mainly working class Leave voters voted for
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It ended free movememt which is what the mainly working class Leave voters voted for
    Yes, to drive up wages for working class people via full employment and labour shortages.

For example rail workers...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Carnyx said:

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    2h

===

He really is an utter prick isn't he.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,136
    ydoethur said:

Oh lord yes. My poor wife now spends 2 days each quarter doing my VAT return that used to take a couple of hours. If anyone on here had any part in writing Quickbooks I would keep it quiet. She wants revenge.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If the membership voted for Starmer they would vote for Streeting. However given Labour leads in the polls and Starmer leads as preferred PM they are not going to replace him
    Starmer worked with Corbyn, Streeting perhaps not so much.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

@rcs1000

Given DeSantis currently trails Crist in the latest Florida governorship poll ahead of November's election his candidacy may be over before it even begins

http://thelistenergroup.com/charlie-crist-leading-ron-desantis-in-very-close-race/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So, Ministers want longer lasting disruption?

Their wish is about to be granted...

Rail workers
    Lawyers
    Posties
    Teachers

If they really want the 70's vibe, refuse collectors next.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

@rcs1000

Given DeSantis currently trails Crist in the latest Florida governorship poll ahead of November's election his candidacy may be over before it even begins

http://thelistenergroup.com/charlie-crist-leading-ron-desantis-in-very-close-race/
    Maybe, although Trump is a loser and it won't stop them picking him again.
  • Options

New Thread

No there isn’t
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer worked with Corbyn, Streeting perhaps not so much.
    Long Bailey was the Corbynite candidate and was heavily beaten
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited June 2022
    Good evening all, I promise not to join the PB travelogue by spamming my festival exploits over the next few days but I felt the gorgeous sunset over the Mendip Hills this evening was too good not to be shared. To atone I'll definitely be keeping up with Wakefield and Tiverton & Homerton as the results come in tomorrow evening.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

New Thread

No there isn’t
    Oh yes there is !
This discussion has been closed.