Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New poll has 59% want CON MPs to vote to remove BoJo – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited June 2022
    biggles said:

I have been nose to the grindstone working all over the long bank holiday....have i missed much?

England won a test match thanks to their batting.
    “Their”? Does Joe Root identify as “they”….?
    TBF, Stokes got 50-odd, even if he did get out with a rush of blood to the head. And Foakes was perfectly decent in support of Root in the final partnership.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 639
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Oh people are over here, are they.

fpt

Are we going to do a tally of who on PB thinks what.

I think Boris loses. My reasoning is that it will (indeed has already been) one damn thing after another and if they keep him it is only a matter of time before he Borises up again and we are back to where we started all the while the polls tanking.

He has tainted the party and although has had successes that was then and we are left with a very flawed leader.*

Took the 5.1 bf at modest levels.

*Of course we always were but it is becoming more transparent to people by the day.

Loses

Would bet but cannot do so in Sicily
    I'm in the lose camp too. But wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.
    I want him to win by enough to hang on (worst result for the Cons), say 210-150, but I think he will lose very very narrowly, say 190-170
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Andy_JS said:

"Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4

I understand the Tory MP accused of rape will be allowed to vote in today's confidence vote in Boris Johnson.
    It is because he has not had the whip suspended"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1533754523604361218

He has been accused, and AFAIAA not even charged, let alone convicted.

Letting him vote seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781
    stjohn said:

Is it possible that Boris will announce at 4pm when he addresses Tory MP's that he plans to stand down before the next General Eelction in a play to buy himself a bit more time as PM? I don't think this is likely and could easily backfire. But a possibility??

Ooh, I like this. Instinctively I feel it's very Boris, but the question would be 'buy time for what?'

There is no legislative agenda left, where as May at least bargained the future of her premiership on MPs voting for her Brexit deal.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,183
    Ok it's time for the LPM forecast!

Boris 170
    Not Boris 190

It might be wrong! DYOR 👍
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

This will be worrying Number 10. It's lunchtime, five hours until the vote, and they've only got to 82 public declarations of support.

And not at all an unexpected VONC, so you'd expect the No 10 heavies to have already done over MPs. In other words, you'd expect that most of those going to make a public declaration of support would already have done so.

Also worth remembering that in 1975 Ted Heath got fewer votes than he'd had public declarations of support!

I wonder about the 82 - are they payroll? Surely some we should focus on more than others?

Similar case for the rebels.
    Yes, the vast majority of them are payroll.
    You can be paid and still dislike your boss.
    You can also be paid, dislike your boss, and offer him public support.
    That doesn't mean, if given a free and secret vote to get rid of him, that you won't grasp the opportunity.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    Boris Johnson put Nadine Dorries in the cabinet. For any sane, patriotic Tory MP that alone should be enough reason to vote against him.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Penddu2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

To link with an RIP story

"Woah oh! Living on a Prayer"
    Or...

'I'm going down...on a bed..with Dories'
    A like for the wit.

A big NOOO for the mental image.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    (apologies if this was covered on an earlier thread but) I can't see why Labour aren't already proposing a confidence vote in the Commons. We know that a minimum of 54 MPs have explicitly stated they don't have confidence in the PM, and by this evening we're likely to know that it's >100. Either wipes out the government's majority. At a minimum, it looks like a good piece of trouble-making to force those who have expressed anti-Johnson views to vote publicly that they have confidence in him.

Initially I thought it was on the "don't interrupt your enemy in the middle of a mistake principle" and that they would fear it would rally support towards Johnson.... but right now don't the opposition parties benefit from every day he stays in post? So it's win-win: increase the perception of chaos and spinelessness in the Tory party, but perhaps make it more likely that a damaged PM stays in office.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I think Boris loses. My reasoning is that it will (indeed has already been) one damn thing after another and if they keep him it is only a matter of time before he Borises up again and we are back to where we started all the while the polls tanking.

He has tainted the party and although has had successes that was then and we are left with a very flawed leader.*

*Of course we always were but it is becoming more transparent to people by the day.

I'm sticking my head above the parapet to say that he will resign after the Confidence vote. But there are two scenarios how this happens:
    1. He wins, but the vote against is 150ish. Downing Street fires up the "that draws a line under it, lets move on" script, but we hear from MPs who just voted for him that they don't think he can credibly cling on like that. The clamour builds and he quits later this week
    2. He loses. Several signs that this is possible - very slow build of open support, self-harm acts by pro-Boris loons like Elphicke and Dorries etc
    Is it officially a resignation if he loses? Or is he just out?
    Constitutionally, a vote of no-confidence should mean he no longer has the confidence of the majority party in the Commons, and thus should tender his resignation to HMQ. However, he could hang on, forcing a VONC in the Commons and a constitutional crisis.
    Today's vote has no constitutional significance - it's an internal party arrangement. Boris stays as PM whatever the result unless he resigns, or loses a VOC in the Commons. Until a new Tory leader is in place. If he had not resigned by then we are in untested waters. But it would be perverse of course of the Tory party to vote him out and not, if necessary support a VONC in the Commons.

I suspect HM would call for the new leader and invite him/her to see if they can form a government.

What larks. Though none of this will happen.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I'm sticking my head above the parapet to say that he will resign after the Confidence vote. But there are two scenarios how this happens:
    1. He wins, but the vote against is 150ish. Downing Street fires up the "that draws a line under it, lets move on" script, but we hear from MPs who just voted for him that they don't think he can credibly cling on like that. The clamour builds and he quits later this week
    2. He loses. Several signs that this is possible - very slow build of open support, self-harm acts by pro-Boris loons like Elphicke and Dorries etc
    Constitutionally, a vote of no-confidence should mean he no longer has the confidence of the majority party in the Commons, and thus should tender his resignation to HMQ. However, he could hang on, forcing a VONC in the Commons and a constitutional crisis.
    It is possible for an outgoing leader to have lost the confidence of the party as a permanent leader, but for the party to retain their confidence in the individual being PM while a new leader is selected.

Yeah...that too.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    The Nadine thread is terrible. It is pretty clear the group around Boris will burn the party to the ground to cling onto power. And the more unpopular they become, the more arson necessary. Tory MPs need to show the reason why they are in government most of the time - an unsentimental willingness to ditch those that have become dead weight.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited June 2022
    Dorries is thrashing around like she knows her career is over.
    Lacklustre Operation Save Big Dog is just a representation of his leadership and administration - he and they cant be arsed
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Dorries is about to give an interview to @BethRigby. 👀👀👀
    https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1533792386152898562

I wonder just how much the prospect of her consequent immediate dismissal incentivises Tory MPs to vote Boris out ?

(Nadine's own vote excepted.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,549

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

It is possible for an outgoing leader to have lost the confidence of the party as a permanent leader, but for the party to retain their confidence in the individual being PM while a new leader is selected.

That's pretty much mandatory. The old leader stays on as caretaker prime minister while the new leader is selected.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    biggles said:

I have been nose to the grindstone working all over the long bank holiday....have i missed much?

Fair comment usually but Stokes and Foakes played their part too, Foakes was excellent on Sat and Sun.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    fitalass said:

If Boris and his team are seriously concerned that he is definitely going to lose the vote of confidence, could we see his resignation before the vote tonight? I suspect that there will be more Conservative MPs who were sitting on the fence unable to vote to shore him up than those who are now willing to keep him in place in the short term now the decisive moment has arrived.

Can't see him resigning unless he loses the vote and there has to be a good chance he will. What a day that will be tomorrow if so! Truly a time for national celebration. Hopefully the bunting and balloons from all the Jubilee street parties has not yet been discarded.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    Penddu2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Or...

Exactly what she had in mind

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    Boris loyalists briefing they think they can keep number of antis below 100. One of the two camps can’t count.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1533796843230048257
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I don't think that's right.

They can vote no confidence in Johnson as Party Leader, which is one thing, and then independently vote confidence in the Government (should anyone be so foolish as to put that to the test). That he should resign as party leader, stay on as PM, and then resign as PM once a successor is chosen (recommending his successor to HMQ) is normal practice.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Pro_Rata said:

Penddu2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Or...

A like for the wit.

A big NOOO for the mental image.
    Most of the words work....

Lying here wasted and wounded at this old piano
    Trying hard to remember this morning...I dont know
    Coz a bottle of vodkas still lodged in my head
    A blonde gave me nightmares
    I think that shes still in my bed....
    As I dream about movies they wont make of me when I'm dead

• Options
    “With your support, I believe that tonight we have a great prize within our grasp. We can put an end to the media’s favourite obsession. We can get on with the job without the noises off.”

STILL denying responsibility. STILL thinking he is the victim.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-letter-conservative-mps-no-confidence-vote-leadership-b1004313.html
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

It's normal for an outgoing party leader to stay on as prime minister while the new leader is selected, even if it takes 3 months for that to happen.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

The Nadine thread is terrible. It is pretty clear the group around Boris will burn the party to the ground to cling onto power. And the more unpopular they become, the more arson necessary. Tory MPs need to show the reason why they are in government most of the time - an unsentimental willingness to ditch those that have become dead weight.

In attacking the king beyond the M25 she has said that the Tory party management of the NHS and with it pandemic preparation was "wanting and inadequate". Hardly the message they are supposed to be putting out as to why people should have confidence in the Tory government.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    If it is a tie, does Brady get the casting vote?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_xP said:

Boris loyalists briefing they think they can keep number of antis below 100. One of the two camps can’t count.

I can’t see how it can anything under 100
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

They can vote no confidence in Johnson as Party Leader, which is one thing, and then independently vote confidence in the Government (should anyone be so foolish as to put that to the test). That he should resign as party leader, stay on as PM, and then resign as PM once a successor is chosen (recommending his successor to HMQ) is normal practice.
    That's a matter of timing. The convention is (and that's what our constitution is largely made up of) that he should resign. Sure, he might not have to do it immediately, but it would be an unholy mess if he failed to resign at all.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    I don't think there are any guarantees of Boris going unless he gets 179 votes or less.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“With your support, I believe that tonight we have a great prize within our grasp. We can put an end to the media’s favourite obsession. We can get on with the job without the noises off.”

STILL denying responsibility. STILL thinking he is the victim.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-letter-conservative-mps-no-confidence-vote-leadership-b1004313.html

'The noises off' is the electorate booing him.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    BJ please 199
    No BJ thanks 159
    Not fussed 2
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

It's normal for an outgoing party leader to stay on as prime minister while the new leader is selected, even if it takes 3 months for that to happen.
    If Boris loses tonight and SKS tries to call a Commons VONC, could the Speaker deny it as abuse of process?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2022
    This take a photo of your ballot.....have they never heard of photoshop, its trivial now to edit such images. Needs to be minimum a video that is sent within a few many minutes of voting ending.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

FPT:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 This will not ease nerves in Downing Street...

By 12:16pm, Theresa May had got to the public backing of the 158 Tory MPs she needed to win confidence vote

It is now 1pm and Boris Johnson is only up to 82

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1533775006051753986

And its even worse. So TM made her 50% by 12.15pm.
    Johnson hasn't even got to 25% (as his vote is out of 359, whereas May was out of 316).

He might win, but his authority will be completely shot.
    I’m beginning to wonder if he might just lose this.
    So am I.

I thought all these votes ended up with the leader 'winning' but basically forced to resign shortly afterwards because of the scale of the opposition within the party.

Only IDS actually lost a vote straight out the gate, and he wasn't PM at the time.
    I think he will lose today, and have modestly backed this view.
    Me too at 4.5. The reasons to ditch look stronger than those to keep and this is their chance.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127
    Scott_xP said:

MPs in the pro Boris camp with a history of disloyalty, including Boris himself, suddenly demand and expect loyalty. Nah. Not on.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

Penddu2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Or...

Exactly what she had in mind

Phwooarr - I would...*

*(In my defence I'm currently marking 1st year exam scripts and would do ANYTHING else right now...)
  • Options

I think if the tie looks likely, the accepted Conservative party practice is for the leader to restore the whip to any MPs suspended for misconduct to cast tie-breaking votes.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137

Scott_xP said:

It's going to fascinating to see the extent to which they are all lying to each other when we get the results later.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited June 2022

I don't think there are any guarantees of Boris going unless he gets 179 votes or less.

Yes, this is what MPs should understand and any reading PB today should take into account. Even if Boris wins by 1 vote he's going to be impossible to remove. The only way to get rid of him is to vote him out tonight, ideally by a big margin.

This is like Brexit, they have the opportunity to make the change, there won't be a second bite at the cherry.
  • Options
    Tory MPs starting to crowdsource their confidence vote https://twitter.com/cj_dinenage/status/1533797285754183687
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MaxPB said:

Yes, this is what MPs should understand and any reading PB today should take into account. Even if Boris wins by 1 vote he's going to be impossible to remove. The only way to get rid of him is to vote him out tonight, ideally by a big margin.

This is like Brexit, they have the opportunity to make the change, there won't be a second bite at the cherry.
    I can’t see the 1922 sticking by that - they’ll adjust the rules to move him on
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    (((Dan Hodges)))@DPJHodges1m
    One thing encouraging the rebels. Number of voices popping up that they weren’t expecting. As one told me “Jesse Norman wasn’t on anyone’s list”.
  • Options
    The show of ministerial support (such as it is) isn't fooling the backbench.

One says simply they "won't all back him" in the secret ballot.

Another puts it more bluntly: "I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them!"

https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1533779659506196482
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Scott_xP said:

By 12:16pm, Theresa May had got to the public backing of the 158 Tory MPs she needed to win confidence vote

Johnson hasn't even got to 25% (as his vote is out of 359, whereas May was out of 316).

So am I.

I thought all these votes ended up with the leader 'winning' but basically forced to resign shortly afterwards because of the scale of the opposition within the party.

Only IDS actually lost a vote straight out the gate, and he wasn't PM at the time.
    Me too at 4.5. The reasons to ditch look stronger than those to keep and this is their chance.
    I agree, it feels like it is slipping away from him. Mad Nad hasn’t done him any favours either. Last chance is a rallying cry at 4pm?

Plus Raab thinks he’ll win the vote. So that must strongly indicate he’s losing it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

It's me, I decide.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    TOPPING said:

fpt

I think Boris will lose by a few votes. I think your point above about Boris inevitably screwing something else up, plus his shamelessness meaning that unless he is pushed he will not go. I think there are enough pragmatic MPs to do it, it is not limited by wings of party or support groups. It seems to me that even those who benefit from Boris's support, i.e. Leavers now see Boris as tainting them by association. I predict 184 votes to remove Boris
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

If Boris loses tonight and SKS tries to call a Commons VONC, could the Speaker deny it as abuse of process?
    No, I don't think so - there's a convention that a confidence vote called by the official opposition is given Parliamentary time at the earliest opportunity. If the PM has signalled his intention to abide by the result and resign, then you'd expect the governing party would be happy to vote confidence. If he hasn't then the Parliamentary confidence vote is a necessary process to remove the PM.

Of course if he loses the vote and refuses to resign rather than call a GE, it falls to the Queen to decide whether to allow it or not.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Applicant said:

biggles said:

TBF, Stokes got 50-odd, even if he did get out with a rush of blood to the head. And Foakes was perfectly decent in support of Root in the final partnership.
    Foakes was great, but he needed a proper batsman to see him tho the end. And it remains the case that only Root or Stokes could have done it. Take your point over all, just keen that we don’t get carried away and the other batsmen focus on their games. I do think the talent is there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Boris will win a Commons VONC, they're a completely different beast to leadership VONCs.
  • Options

Is there a money back guarantee attached to this promise?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Please no. Under 100 and he's strengthened.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,707
    mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

THIS is correct.

The usual is for the defeated party leader to stay as PM for a few weeks until the leadership is resolved (see Cameron). That means Johnson will surpass Brown in terms of Tenure no matter what.

But of course, what you couldn't foresee is a defeated leader thinking 'screw you all' and resigning as Prime Minister immediately too (which can't be prevented). As you have to have a PM, I'm afraid you'd end up with an interim needing selection (Raab? Someone else who isn't going to stand and an elder statesman/woman (May?)).

There might even be a market here. Next PM? Theresa May?

No leader does it, they always stay on until the contest is resolved (Thatcher did, Cameron did, May did) but Johnson is such a sulk he might just resign as PM if he can't be party leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Boris will win a Commons VONC, they're a completely different beast to leadership VONCs.
    Yes indeed.

There is a slightly weird distinction which is that MPs can have confidence in a government but not necessarily have confidence in the leader of that government as their party leader.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    LOTO has an absolute right to call a VONC at any time.
    Thatcher called plenty.
  • Options
    EXC: Tory donors who have given the party more than £18 Million in recent years urge Conservative MPs NOT to ditch the PM.

The pleading letter from 23 big bucks supporters brands plotters "foolish" and says BoJo has their "unwavering support."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/18797649/donors-says-dont-ditch-boris/ https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1533798992626204673/photo/1
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    MaxPB said:

52%:48%. Please!

Though in the absence of an obvious successor who can go round promising the same ministerial job to 10 different people, is there enough incentive? I fear there may be a lot of hopecasting.

I reckon a narrow win, a lot of bluster that a win is a win, and an acceleration of the polling decline.

At that point, nobody sane is going to want the job.

Starmer as next PM looks like good odds, unless the Durham police intervene.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

...Another puts it more bluntly: "I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them!"
    https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1533779659506196482

This is, after all, a Johnson appointed set of ministers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The threat to call an early GE if Boris loses is as absurd, and will be just as ineffective, as the threats to crash out with no deal.
  • Options
    Current mood at Westminster is that this is slipping away from Boris. Other moods will be along shortly…
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1533799948877193218
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

TOPPING said:

fpt

I think Boris will lose by a few votes. I think your point above about Boris inevitably screwing something else up, plus his shamelessness meaning that unless he is pushed he will not go. I think there are enough pragmatic MPs to do it, it is not limited by wings of party or support groups. It seems to me that even those who benefit from Boris's support, i.e. Leavers now see Boris as tainting them by association. I predict 184 votes to remove Boris
    I think Boris gets 200 ish, a win by 60-70. In other words he’s toast and I get £100 for him out this year. Exactly when though, and exactly what his Downing Street podium resignation says when it eventually comes, I haven’t a clue.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Because the intention of a VONC is to get either an election or a change of government. Calling one in the middle of a change of government when an election isn't possible seems like abuse of process - because what happens if the vote succeeds?
  • Options

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

THIS is correct.

The usual is for the defeated party leader to stay as PM for a few weeks until the leadership is resolved (see Cameron). That means Johnson will surpass Brown in terms of Tenure no matter what.

But of course, what you couldn't foresee is a defeated leader thinking 'screw you all' and resigning as Prime Minister immediately too (which can't be prevented). As you have to have a PM, I'm afraid you'd end up with an interim needing selection (Raab? Someone else who isn't going to stand and an elder statesman/woman (May?)).

There might even be a market here. Next PM? Theresa May?

No leader does it, they always stay on until the contest is resolved (Thatcher did, Cameron did, May did) but Johnson is such a sulk he might just resign as PM if he can't be party leader.
    If Boris flounced Raab would be the first to jump at the chance to serve as interim PM. He’d be in the jag on the way to the Palace before anyone had any idea about the alternatives.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Boris won't go after breaking the law, what chance of him going after winning a VONC? Pretty low I would expect. He will believe that he can turn it around.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Because the intention of a VONC is to get either an election or a change of government. Calling one in the middle of a change of government when an election isn't possible seems like abuse of process - because what happens if the vote succeeds?
    He can call for one when he likes, he'd lose as the Aaron Bell's etc would vote confidence in the gov't.
  • Options
    Damien Moore, Merseyside’s only Tory MP, heavily hints he’ll vote against Boris Johnson.

“I welcome that a vote of confidence has now been called. I have never supported anyone blatantly breaking the covid rules…which the Sue Gray report and the Met…concluded the PM broke."

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1533761697537728513
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXC: Tory donors who have given the party more than £18 Million in recent years urge Conservative MPs NOT to ditch the PM.

The pleading letter from 23 big bucks supporters brands plotters "foolish" and says BoJo has their "unwavering support."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/18797649/donors-says-dont-ditch-boris/ https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1533798992626204673/photo/1

Are they the ones on a promise for a gong in the New Year’s Honours?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Damien Moore, Merseyside’s only Tory MP, heavily hints he’ll vote against Boris Johnson.

“I welcome that a vote of confidence has now been called. I have never supported anyone blatantly breaking the covid rules…which the Sue Gray report and the Met…concluded the PM broke."

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1533761697537728513

Tell me you are voting No Confidence without telling me you are voting No Confidence.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs starting to crowdsource their confidence vote https://twitter.com/cj_dinenage/status/1533797285754183687

MP for Gosport. Splendid place.

(And I think the only Conservative MP left who was chosen by an Open Primary.)

In other Gosport news, one street cocked up their order for bunting and ended up with 4.5 km of the stuff;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/queens-platinum-jubilee-selsey-avenue-in-gosport-transformed-into-sea-of-blue-white-and-red-after-accidentally-ordering-45km-of-bunting-3720108
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    (((Dan Hodges)))@DPJHodges1m
    Leading rebel texts: “Below 100? That’s the bravado that got ‘em in this mess”.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    I don't understand what you mean by abuse of process?
    The purpose of a VONC is to test whether the government has the support of the House or not.
    Nothing more.
    And it is convention one can be called by the LOTO at any time. Without a reason put forward. And it's given complete priority.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Musk is backing out of the Twitter deal.

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1533795813129916417
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If Boris won't go after breaking the law, what chance of him going after winning a VONC? Pretty low I would expect. He will believe that he can turn it around.

Constitutionally that’s an interesting one but presupposes the complete disintegration of the Conservative Party - so even though he is shameless I cannot see him testing that one.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    All the talk about Johnson staying on if he wins by one vote is probably nonsense IMO. If it's closer than 20 or 30 votes he won't hang around for more than a few days before resigning. You can't carry on with 45% of your MPs having no confidence in your leadership.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Musk is backing out of the Twitter deal.

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1533795813129916417

Perhaps.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
  • Options
    An MP who votes for Johnson today but says "if they'd waited until after Tiverton, I might have voted against him" is also an MP who would've said after the Tiverton defeat "if they'd waited until the Privileges Committee Report, I might have voted against him". And so on.
    https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1533727534940049408
    https://twitter.com/Gilesyb/status/1533720498865115139
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

All the talk about Johnson staying on if he wins by one vote is probably nonsense IMO. If it's closer than 20 or 30 votes he won't hang around for more than a few days before resigning. You can't carry on with 45% of your MPs having no confidence in your leadership.

Agree. He wants to be liked. He doesn’t have it in him to do “embattled”. Plus he’s got a book he can write and an advance he can spend.

He will, of course, also half think he can come again. Might even keep his seat.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Why isn't an election possible?
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    People the other day were asking for examples of the BBC being too woke. Well how about this article?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61701908

It is about the reaction to alleged inflammatory statements about Islam by a BJP politician but... the news organization does not actually say what the statement is. Because heaven above a global news organization report the factual root of the story.

What was the actual offending statement? In response to Muslims mocking Hindu deities she said:

“Should I start mocking claims of flying horses or the flat-earth theory as mentioned in your Quran? You are marrying a 6-year-old girl and having sex with her when she turned 9. Who did it? Prophet Muhammad. Should I start saying all these things that are mentioned in your scriptures?” 

https://www.opindia.com/2022/05/islamists-issue-death-threats-to-nupur-sharma-prophet-muhammad-aisha-what-islamic-scriptures-say/

Now these are things that are ACTUALLY in the Koran and most trusted Hadith. So factually reporting a non-Muslim saying what Muslims actually believe is now too politically incorrect to be reported, even if it at the core of a major news story.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595

Is there a money back guarantee attached to this promise?

I think that tailplane is a happy ending ....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,475
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

In other Gosport news, one street cocked up their order for bunting and ended up with 4.5 km of the stuff;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/queens-platinum-jubilee-selsey-avenue-in-gosport-transformed-into-sea-of-blue-white-and-red-after-accidentally-ordering-45km-of-bunting-3720108
    Just had a look, and I had to go through FOUR popups to read the story.

Gosport's newspaper can go f*ck itself. Politely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

FPT:

Scott_xP said:

So am I.

I agree, it feels like it is slipping away from him. Mad Nad hasn’t done him any favours either. Last chance is a rallying cry at 4pm?

Plus Raab thinks he’ll win the vote. So that must strongly indicate he’s losing it.
    BlowJob is addressing the '22 at 4pm. Remember that his doing so after the Gray report is widely reported as being pivotal in accelerating the input of no confidence letters...
  • Options
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

Agree. He wants to be liked. He doesn’t have it in him to do “embattled”. Plus he’s got a book he can write and an advance he can spend.

He will, of course, also half think he can come again. Might even keep his seat.
    Churchill, after all, had his Wilderness Years. And hung on as Conservative leader after defeats in 1945 and 1950.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Boris Johnson put Nadine Dorries in the cabinet. For any sane, patriotic Tory MP that alone should be enough reason to vote against him.

Yes, but... I can see the flaw in your thinking here.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

VPN with adblock + adblock extension in chrome = 0 popups.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,707
    Jonathan said:

I don't believe he has a choice.
    If he loses the vote tonight, he is automatically removed (he doesn't resign) as Party Leader and a leadership contest begins.
    Once its resolved, if he then doesn't resign as Prime Minister, the Monarch would just dismiss him (without him being there) and appoint the new leader.

No 'resigning' is needed. It's not voluntary. It can't be stopped.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Scott_xP said:

That tweet now appears to have disappeared.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Nadine Dorries to Jeremy Hunt:

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    1/4 On afternoon of 23rd July 2020 when I was health minister you telephoned me to tell me that we had to handle the pandemic following the example set by the East/China. That people testing + should be removed from their homes and placed into isolation hotels for two weeks.

2/4You said yr wife’s family had experience of this during SARS. I said that British people would never tolerate being removed from their homes and loved ones at which point you demanded I show you the evidence for that. Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster.

3/4 Your pandemic preparation during six years as health secretary was found wanting and inadequate.Your duplicity right now in destabilising the party and country to serve your own personal ambition, more so.

4/4You told others that PM and Gov would swiftly collapse on back of Brexit and you would swoop in. You told me as much in Victoria St after GE. If you had been leader you’d have handed the keys of No10 to Corbyn. You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now"

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533763405844185088

July 2020? I don't buy that. Possibly a viable policy in Feb 2020, but by July it had faded to allow EOTHO etc.

I don't believe Mad Nad.
    It was the low levels of community transmission at the time that would have made a policy of hotel isolation practical. MaxPB was one who advocated for it most forcefully on here, as a way to avoid more general restrictions on liberty.

You couldn't have done it in Feb 2020, because we didn't have the testing capacity to identify the infectious.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    The purpose of a VONC is to test whether the government has the support of the House or not.
    Nothing more.
    And it is convention one can be called by the LOTO at any time. Without a reason put forward. And it's given complete priority.
    Is there precedent for one being called during a leadership election of the governing party?

I would have thought I was clear enough about what I meant by "abuse of process", but I'll try again - what happens if the vote succeeds? SKS doesn't have the confidence of the house, and neither does any Tory (yet) because the leadership election isn't over (yet). But you can't call a general election because there will soon be someone who will have the confidence of the house by a large margin. In other words, a constitutional crisis - and surely calling a vote that, if successful, precipitates an unneccessary constitutional crisis is abuse of process.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Mrs Brady Old Lady to decide the future of Finbarr Saunders?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,475

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

VPN with adblock + adblock extension in chrome = 0 popups.
    Hmm. I have Google Chrome and Adblock+ .
  • Options
    Culture Sec Nadine Dorries tells our @BethRigby she’s “not worried at all” about the vote today calling it a “distraction”. She adds a “majority of one” is enough to move on.
    https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1533803935760252928
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Nothing more.
    Is there precedent for one being called during a leadership election of the governing party?

I would have thought I was clear enough about what I meant by "abuse of process", but I'll try again - what happens if the vote succeeds? SKS doesn't have the confidence of the house, and neither does any Tory (yet) because the leadership election isn't over (yet). But you can't call a general election because there will soon be someone who will have the confidence of the house by a large margin. In other words, a constitutional crisis - and surely calling a vote that, if successful, precipitates an unneccessary constitutional crisis is abuse of process.
    No you have a stop gap. Not difficult.
  • Options

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Why isn't an election possible?
    A discretionary election in the middle of a leadership contest of one of the two major parties?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Scott_xP said:

That tweet now appears to have disappeared.
    https://www.caroline4gosport.co.uk/form/vote-of-confidence

Dineage saying, basically, that over the course of the day she'll be meeting constituents, and will listen to their views. Not too controversial!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

Today is not about Brexit it is only about whether or not colleagues feel the PM is the fit and proper person to be in No10.

Unsurprisingly, I do not believe he is and I will therefore be voting against the PM tonight.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/status/1533791212922093568

It’s not about Brexit?

If we find out names of the confidence in Boris herd, apart from a few mavericks they will be brexiteers.

This is Brexit. Today is Brexit. The coming leadership election will be massively Brexit.

Don’t believe me? Then muse on perhaps a big part of Boris appeal in 2019 was, after Brexit done the country will put the division into the past, two sides of a fault line come together, move on under a unifying leader - but we are still waiting for it!

Can the Tory Party win again without achieving that?

Plus - having written and signed off the Brexit deal, it’s made them an inflexible government - in all the ways Brexit dips it’s fingers in policy direction.

To say Boris Brexit Deal is 100% sacrosanct, you will come across against putting Brexit behind us - you remain effing business, and it will remain a struggle for a clear and winning economic strategy.

Post Boris, these are the issues for the party to sort out to win again. And you find relationship with the governments Brexit positions clearly woven through these issues, through many of the issues in the new leaders in tray.

I’m not saying anything anti Brexit. I’m not saying it needs big move from hard to soft Brexit. The point I’m making is government doesn’t work when it meets blocker of intransigence - it works through flexibility. Flexibility pulls people into a tent, and you work together. Intransigence keeps them outside.

The point I’m making is what the Tory Party needs to be, flexible in decision making, and where the country needs to be at, together with Brexit fault line in the past, for the Tory party to win elections again.

You have your head in the sand like an ostrich if you think the Tory Party and country are in those two places today, and there’s not much work to do on them!

I’m pretty sure I am not deluded you know 🙂 I’m pretty sure I’m hitting the nail on the head. The due diligence needed on the next leader and the strategies underpinning her government.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited June 2022

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Nadine Dorries to Jeremy Hunt:

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    1/4 On afternoon of 23rd July 2020 when I was health minister you telephoned me to tell me that we had to handle the pandemic following the example set by the East/China. That people testing + should be removed from their homes and placed into isolation hotels for two weeks.

2/4You said yr wife’s family had experience of this during SARS. I said that British people would never tolerate being removed from their homes and loved ones at which point you demanded I show you the evidence for that. Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster.

3/4 Your pandemic preparation during six years as health secretary was found wanting and inadequate.Your duplicity right now in destabilising the party and country to serve your own personal ambition, more so.

4/4You told others that PM and Gov would swiftly collapse on back of Brexit and you would swoop in. You told me as much in Victoria St after GE. If you had been leader you’d have handed the keys of No10 to Corbyn. You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now"

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533763405844185088

July 2020? I don't buy that. Possibly a viable policy in Feb 2020, but by July it had faded to allow EOTHO etc.

I don't believe Mad Nad.
    It was the low levels of community transmission at the time that would have made a policy of hotel isolation practical. MaxPB was one who advocated for it most forcefully on here, as a way to avoid more general restrictions on liberty.

You couldn't have done it in Feb 2020, because we didn't have the testing capacity to identify the infectious.
    We did actually have hotel isolation at one point, didn't we? I recall the first few cases were put in a quarantine hotel. We heard endless reports on social media from people who were locked in a room.

That stopped once it became obvious that there wasn't going to be enough hotel space or staff.

It bought us a week at the most.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    As at 2.30pm, @johnestevens has counted 102 statements of support for Boris.

Theresa May had got 159 by 12:15, which translated into 200 votes in the final result.

Dunno about you, but to me that maths doesn't look encouraging for Boris.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

On what grounds?
    Thatcher called plenty.
    Nothing more.

The greatest precedent of all...

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1990/nov/22/confidence-in-her-majestys-government

https://youtu.be/nw4JB25nr0s

"I'm enjoying this!"
This discussion has been closed.