Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Raab: “No leadership challenge next week” – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2022 in General
imageRaab: “No leadership challenge next week” – politicalbetting.com

Unless the 1922 Committee Chairman Brady is sharing detailed information with the Deputy PM, which I very much doubt, it is hard to see how he can make his prediction.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited June 2022
    Not first.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    First, and second like the two best buys in Which for vacuum cleaners which I have just checked out iof interest (and one of whom I own so I can confirm it's excellent). Their power ratings are 0.89 and 0.75 kW - and that is with the oomph turned up to 11. So this 1.4 limit was fine as it was and increasing it is just stupid.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited June 2022
    Stocky said:

Have we done the rumour that, if fined, Starmer would resign as promised but then stand as a candidate in the subsequent leadership election?

Ian Murray has dismissed that idea:

https://order-order.com/2022/06/01/shadow-minister-fined-starmer-wouldnt-quit-and-then-stand-again/
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited June 2022
    FPT: Have we done the rumour that, if fined, Starmer would resign as promised but could then stand as a candidate in the subsequent leadership election?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/if-keir-starmer-goes-he-can-rise-again-says-ex-whip-82zg6ngjc
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089

Boris will face a VONC. Those saying otherwise are not in control of events.

But if they wish hard enough...

Question: of the current cabinet, who would survive the passing of The Great and Charismatic Leader of our Proud Island Nation?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    What the hell would Raaaaaaaab know about it? Remember this is the man who as Brexit Secretary had to confess that he was clueless about fiendish complex hidden secrets like the Dover - Calais crossing.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    I can only conclude that Raab has information that the VONC is coming this week. :wink:

Or he is stupid. I don't discount that.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Raab is going look stupid if one does happens.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,757
    edited June 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Raab is going look stupid if one does happens.

So what would change, exactly?

Edit - although technically he is right. A VONC isn't a leadership challenge. William Hague got rid of those.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Raab isn't an objective outsider looking on these events. I think the words of any gov't loyalist about whether or not there might be a confidence vote in Johnson's leadership of the Tories can frankly be put in the bin.
  • The Elizabeth Line is amazing
    IshmaelZ said:

Next week: He ‘hadn’t quite understood the full extent’ to which the leadership challenge is dependent on the number of letters written to Brady.

He'd had no truck with that rubbish.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    mwadams said:

Question: of the current cabinet, who would survive the passing of The Great and Charismatic Leader of our Proud Island Nation?
    Not many. Another reason Boris is toast - there will be a host of Cabinet vacancies once he is departed.... Musical chairs for the ambitious Conservative MP.
    Dura_Ace said:

Strong Frank Spencer energy in that photo.

He's done a whoopsie on his prediction.....
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

mwadams said:

Not many. Another reason Boris is toast - there will be a host of Cabinet vacancies once he is departed.... Musical chairs for the ambitious Conservative MP.
    They may be ambitious, but are they competent? Or likely to be?

mwadams said:

Hard to imagine they could be worse.

Ah -Michael Fabricant is still on the back benches.

SAVE JOHNSON!!!!

mwadams said:

Depends on who replaces him. If it is Hunt or Wallace then yes there would be a bonfire of the wazzocks. But imagine if it was Patel or Truss. What level of moron would they need to pad their cabinet out with to keep the heat off themselves?

Names for a Patel Cabinet. Ester McVey. Steve Baker. Mark Francios. John Redwood. Lee Anderson...
    edited June 2022

mwadams said:

Has Kevin put a sneaky letter in ?

I'd have thought he wouldn't bother with his Junior Patel gig mind.

mwadams said:

Imagine you are a ScoTory MP - about 2 in 5 chance of a payroll position just for the so-called Scotland Office. Mind, that assumes Mr Ross or some other MSP or Lady Davidson doesn't get it.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    PB syllogism:

X doesn't know, nobody does
    I don't agree with X
    Therefore X is engaged in wishful thinking

There might just be a flaw in there somewhere
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    edited June 2022
    The continuing paralysis of government is quite something. Nothing matters apart from the fight to save Big Dog, or to put him out of our misery. Meanwhile the random squirrel generator spits out half arsed policies on imperial measures and vacuum cleaner power.

I suppose there isn't much else going on in the world.
    One thing about the (predicted) Northern expansion of NATO - more chilly arctic training exercises for the grunts !
    Pulpstar said:

mwadams said:

Has Kevin put a sneaky letter in ?

I'd have thought he wouldn't bother with his Junior Patel gig mind.
    TBH, can't see Kevin being that pro-active.

But, ahem, I don't expect him to die in a ditch to save Boris either.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Carnyx said:

First, and second like the two best buys in Which for vacuum cleaners which I have just checked out iof interest (and one of whom I own so I can confirm it's excellent). Their power ratings are 0.89 and 0.75 kW - and that is with the oomph turned up to 11. So this 1.4 limit was fine as it was and increasing it is just stupid.

Perhaps the two vacuum cleaners you speak of are top of their class because you can't get the old high power ones any more?

I bought a new vacuum cleaner of the same make as my old one and found it far inferior - ended up getting the old one fixed instead. It was without a doubt the loss of power in the newer model that made it... suck.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

mwadams said:

Depends on who replaces him. If it is Hunt or Wallace then yes there would be a bonfire of the wazzocks. But imagine if it was Patel or Truss. What level of moron would they need to pad their cabinet out with to keep the heat off themselves?

Names for a Patel Cabinet. Ester McVey. Steve Baker. Mark Francios. John Redwood. Lee Anderson...
    David Davies... (note, different to David Davis)
    Not sure Steve Baker would associate with that shower. He still seems to have some dignity.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    Raab's a rarity, a lawyer who is thick as mince.

If he told me water was wet, I'd check.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Farooq said:

@Farooq is an excellent poster.

I'm held up by blu tack
    Have you been framed?

He's also Cambridge educated.

Like Richard Burgon and Amanda Spielman.

Unfortunately thick lawyers from Cambridge are not as rare as they should be, although I realise there are some brainy ones about as well.
  • Raab's a rarity, a lawyer who is thick as mince.

I assume you put yourself as extremely intelligent
    I think it'll be Mordurant and Hunt as the final two.

Think the former will sneak it.

Tory rebels are turning to question of who their preferred candidate is for Tory leadership

Penny Mordaunt being backed by some as a 'compromise candidate' who can unite the party - particularly by Scottish Tories

She's said she's loyal

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1531938803883069441
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    edited June 2022
    Good morning (just)
    I mean hes clearly trying to put off waverers. And he knows No Boris, No Raab
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

mwadams said:

Jamie Wallis as Foreign Sec.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    You look very fetching in that tennis dress that you're almost wearing.
    ydoethur said:

He's also Cambridge educated.

Like Richard Burgon and Amanda Spielman.

Unfortunately thick lawyers from Cambridge are not as rare as they should be, although I realise there are some brainy ones about as well.
    Raab was ruined at Oxford, Cambridge cannot save them all.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

PB syllogism:

X doesn't know, nobody does
    I don't agree with X
    Therefore X is engaged in wishful thinking

There might just be a flaw in there somewhere

Not really, you can take the middle line out because it's true of anytthing anyone says about it

Until the fat Grady sings

I assume you put yourself as extremely intelligent
    My legendary modesty prevents me from confirming your correct assessment.

Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    How are you feeling today?

Raab
    Braverman
    Burgon

Not *that* rare when then turn to politics...?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,042

Tory rebels are turning to question of who their preferred candidate is for Tory leadership

Penny Mordaunt being backed by some as a 'compromise candidate' who can unite the party - particularly by Scottish Tories

She's said she's loyal

Oh please make it so, at least from my betting wallet's point of view. Biggly pay day!!!!

She's said she's loyal

Agree - if they are the two, she wins. She's my candidate as the one I see able to keep the Red Wall voter and return the currently lost Blue Wall voter. She isn't exactly Boris Lite, but what might appeal to those who are anti-politician is she doesn't take herself TOO seriously (cock....) whilst being a new page turned away from Boris.

And I think Starmer would really struggle against her.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    Trust me when I say nobody wants to see that. Again.

mwadams said:

That absolute **** Gullis.

Raab
    Braverman
    Burgon

Not *that* rare when then turn to politics...?
    Burgon, agreed, thick as mince.

Braverman is disingenuous at best, which is a skill that requires some intelligence and nous.
    edited June 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Perhaps the two vacuum cleaners you speak of are top of their class because you can't get the old high power ones any more?

I bought a new vacuum cleaner of the same make as my old one and found it far inferior - ended up getting the old one fixed instead. It was without a doubt the loss of power in the newer model that made it... suck.
    The cylinder in question was bought by me back in 2019 when it was first reviewed. But that is the specific model - it's possible the gubbins are a year or two older.

Edit: NB that they are not 1399 W ratings, though, which strongly argues against crude power being a key determinant.

Edit again: as @MattW points out, the limit is actually 900W, so that point falls!
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

She's said she's loyal

She's the tory Cliff Lawton.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

I think that's part of the point.

These are not just used for vacuuming dog hair and dust in houses. My builder has a vacuum cleaner for cleaning up after jobs, and so do cleaners in office blocks.

I also have a wet'n'dry for when tenants cause a flood.

It's not just about people at home. Which is why over crude regulation is a mistake.

The current limit is 900W not 1400, checking - not sure where the Express got that from.

But TBH we are now down a rabbithole.

She's said she's loyal

Agree - if they are the two, she wins. She's my candidate as the one I see able to keep the Red Wall voter and return the currently lost Blue Wall voter. She isn't exactly Boris Lite, but what might appeal to those who are anti-politician is she doesn't take herself TOO seriously (cock....) whilst being a new page turned away from Boris.

And I think Starmer would really struggle against her.
    Agree, I think she's got a sense of humour, which Dave deployed well at PMQs.

The Tories on their third female leader/PM whilst Labour are on zero will be amusing.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Poor Dom R. He doesn't stand a chance in E&W in 23/24. And it's not as if the Gross Canine has ever shown him any loyalty in return for the pitiful obeisance.
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

These are not just used for vacuuming dog hair and dust in houses. My builder has a vacuum cleaner for cleaning up after jobs, and so do cleaners in office blocks.

It's not just about people at home. Which is why over crude regulation is a mistake.

The current limit is 900W not 1400, checking - not sure where the Express got that from.

But juast go along to Screwfix if you want one above 900W ...

Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    Still bad cold territory, but a relentlessly annoying cough. It's only the possible defenestration of the FLSOJ that's keeping me going.

She's said she's loyal

need to think about this one. One does not simply walk into Mordurant.
    JohnO said:

Poor Dom R. He doesn't stand a chance in E&W in 23/24. And it's not as if the Gross Canine has ever shown him any loyalty in return for the pitiful obeisance.

Indeed, getting demoted from Foreign Secretary to Justice and spinning it as a promotion with the sinecure of Deputy Prime Minister was amusing.

He's Geoffrey Howe de nos jours, it's like actually being savaged by a dead sheep.

JohnO said:

Indeed, getting demoted from Foreign Secretary to Justice and spinning it as a promotion with the sinecure of Deputy Prime Minister was amusing.

He's Geoffrey Howe de nos jours, it's like actually being savaged by a dead sheep.
    But he did his duty, as Raab C. Brexit, as he is known up here.

Foxy said:

The continuing paralysis of government is quite something. Nothing matters apart from the fight to save Big Dog, or to put him out of our misery. Meanwhile the random squirrel generator spits out half arsed policies on imperial measures and vacuum cleaner power.

I suppose there isn't much else going on in thecworld.

John Major's Cones Hotline looks like the Marshall Plan in comparison to what is happening at the moment.
    Amazing to think Major got Rail privatisation through in that stodgy parliament

Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    Still bad cold territory, but a relentlessly annoying cough. It's only the possible defenestration of the FLSOJ that's keeping me going.
    That cough was annoying for me.

When I had it the biggest annoyance was feeling totally knackered for 48 hours.

JohnO said:

If only Raab were like Howe - mild mannered sheep transformed into The Avenged Maggie Slayer.
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

If only Raab were like Howe - mild mannered sheep transformed into The Avenged Maggie Slayer.
    But Johnson wouldn't sit there and take his medicine like she did. He'd hide in the nearest fridge, under the pretext he was unloading that suitcase full of wine for the celebratory drinks.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Indeed. So what's the &^%$ point of a limit if anyone can get round it at 800 branches of Screwfix and 500 branches of Toolstation anywhere in the country, never mind all the B&Q / Wickes etc?

An unnecessary rule, which is a waste of time and money. As I commented.
    Euromaidan Press
    @EuromaidanPress
    ·
    1h
    Russians control 70% of Sievierodonetsk - Luhansk Oblast Head Serhii Haidai

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1531935585430126592
    Dura_Ace said:

She's said she's loyal

She's the tory Cliff Lawton.
    "are you a horse?"
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I think why he's not quite Geoffrey Howe is he doesn't have the relationship with Boris Johnson that Howe had with Thatcher.

15 years at her side, as Shadow Chancellor, then Chancellor, then Foreign Secretary. He went through all the good and bad times with her.
    Arf, 'Lowest satisfaction rating ever recorded for a sitting PM'.

https://twitter.com/EmilyIpsosScot/status/1531954069736235008?s=20&t=jyKnOM-UP53qUu01Gc9cow

Still looking pretty honeymoony.

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

mwadams said:

We are way, way, past the stage where a random Tory MP would do a better job than Boris Johnson.

We are probably even past the stage where most Tory MPs favourable to the Tory party membership would also do a better job.

Look at the latest Con Home ratings... the top people are Ben Wallace, Nadhim Zahawi, AM Trevelyan, Liz Truss.
    All have actual professional experience (army, entrepreneur (did not know he founded YouGov), accountant, accountant) and some have even actually done a good job as Ministers.

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I think why he's not quite Geoffrey Howe is he doesn't have the relationship with Boris Johnson that Howe had with Thatcher.

15 years at her side, as Shadow Chancellor, then Chancellor, then Foreign Secretary. He went through all the good and bad times with her.
    That's true indeed. Dom had just better hope that Hersham is moved out of Esher and Walton. Appeared before the Boundary Commission in March to argue that and we'll see in August whether they agree.
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

But Johnson wouldn't sit there and take his medicine like she did. He'd hide in the nearest fridge, under the pretext he was unloading that suitcase full of wine for the celebratory drinks.
    I've been toying with a piece for this weekend.

Imagine if Boris Johnson loses the confidence it takes 2-3 months for a Tory leadership contest to take place.

I can see him flouncing out because I don't think he could cope with being a lame duck PM, having to do all the hard work and having the piss taken out of him during the interregnum.

We will have a new temporary PM before we get the winner of the Tory leadership contest takes place.

This is going to wreak havoc with the betting markets.

Farooq said:

I'm held up by blu tack
    That cough was annoying for me.

When I had it the biggest annoyance was feeling totally knackered for 48 hours.
    Yeah, I was absolutely zonked on Sunday which I'd thought was the result of a week of mild excess but now know better. Over that now thankfully.
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Indeed. So what's the &^%$ point of a limit if anyone can get round it at 800 branches of Screwfix and 500 branches of Toolstation anywhere in the country, never mind all the B&Q / Wickes etc?

Bit like the creosote ban, you can still buy the stuff online (and not on the darkweb). I give my address as "X Farm" when ordering when in fact it's just X, but nobody seems fussed anyway.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    Something for everyone here

Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 45% (-5)
    No: 46% (+3)

Excl. undecideds:

Yes: 50% (-4)
    No: 50% (+4)

via
    @IpsosUK
    , May 2022
    Chgs. w/ Feb

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Imagine if Boris Johnson loses the confidence it takes 2-3 months for a Tory leadership contest to take place.

I can see him flouncing out because I don't think he could cope with being a lame duck PM, having to do all the hard work and having the piss taken out of him during the interregnum.

We will have a new temporary PM before we get the winner of the Tory leadership contest takes place.

Some of us are on Raab next PM on this basis at a squillion to one on the basis of a tip by the learned @Richard_Nabavi
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280

She's said she's loyal

Mordaunt won't get more than 30 or 40 votes.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Some of us are on Raab next PM on this basis at a squillion to one on the basis of a tip by the learned @Richard_Nabavi
    I fear this is going to be a bit like the Theresa May exit date as Tory leader market fun.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

The last one didn't take anywhere near so long, why would the next one?
    Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

Activists like myself and Marquee Mark think she'll do very well.
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

But also to the point, why make it No 2 of the benefits of Brexit?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Carnyx said:

My Vax practically rips the carpet from the floor, when it's empty, as it is.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

Er, I thought you left the party?

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Raab gets to be PM for two months via the VONC he says wont be taking place.*

There's a LOL in there somewhere!!!

* Only if he makes it clear he will not be standing for leader.
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Strawman.
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Theresa May announced her resignation on the 24th of May.

The result was announced two months later.

I suspect we'll have more candidates running this time.

They may want to avoid having the hustings during the summer holidays.

So if he's ousted mid to late June, then I can see the result being announced the week before the conference.

Arf, 'Lowest satisfaction rating ever recorded for a sitting PM'.

https://twitter.com/EmilyIpsosScot/status/1531954069736235008?s=20&t=jyKnOM-UP53qUu01Gc9cow

Still looking pretty honeymoony.

Just for clarification - that URL is not for the tweet pictured. It's for another one, which says

NEW from @IpsosScotland
    and @STVNews

✴️Lowest satisfaction rating ever recorded for a sitting PM - 83% of Scots dissatisfied with Boris Johnson
    ✴️Cost of living is the top issue facing Scotland - and 59% say they are worse off than they were a year ago
    THREAD (1/9)

The thread is worth a look though.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

He could introduce a poison pill by reshuffling some absolute arse (yes more than Raab) in as deputy PM so the horror of that person being acting PM made people think twice - maybe JRM or Daniel Kawczynsci.
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Strawman.
    Quite so, but it doesn't say much for Mr R-M.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Think the former will sneak it....1

It will be the sneaky change of name that tips the balance ?
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

I rejoined earlier on this year because I felt there would be a leadership contest.

I've not really campaigned for the party, but I'm still active in several Tory WhatsApp groups.

The thing I've noticed in the last couple of months.

You'll get a handful of people vociferously defending Boris Johnson and now all you get is tumbleweeds as response, when previously you'd get lots of people agreeing.

I think the local elections was a real eye opener for many Tory activists.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

I rejoined earlier on this year because I felt there would be a leadership contest.

I've not really campaigned for the party, but I'm still active in several Tory WhatsApp groups.

The thing I've noticed in the last couple of months.

You'll get a handful of people vociferously defending Boris Johnson and now all you get is tumbleweeds as response, when previously you'd get lots of people agreeing.

I think the local elections was a real eye opener for many Tory activists.
    If only there had been some clues in Boris' past that could have given them a clue that we would transcend into thinking rules dont apply to him, lies and incompetence......

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Theresa May announced her resignation on the 24th of May.

The result was announced two months later.

I suspect we'll have more candidates running this time.

They may want to avoid having the hustings during the summer holidays.

So if he's ousted mid to late June, then I can see the result being announced the week before the conference.
    Right - except that the resignation didn't take effect until 7th June (with nominations opening on 10th June), so you're including an extra two and a half weeks that won't apply this time. Plus more candidates only extend the selection phase of the contest by a couple of days each (last time the last two ballots of the selection phase were on the same day).
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1531953337049948166?s=21&t=j8YR1jhWo47kYWafBFl5Tw

With all the caveats on how this was calculated, winning only 60% is pretty awful
    edited June 2022
    A flabby old reactionary forced to pump out simplistically controversial views for attention.
    And Piers.

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1531959991350984705?s=20&t=jyKnOM-UP53qUu01Gc9cow

Latest YouGov Westminster voting intention (24-25 May)

Con: 31% (n/c from 18-19 May)
    Lab: 39% (n/c)
    Lib Dem: 12% (n/c)
    Green: 7% (n/c)
    SNP: 4% (-1)
    Reform UK: 4% (n/c)

https://t.co/mjC4738Z9X https://t.co/3LbINd2iaU

Not sure this was released last week? Post Gray pre Splurge YouGov
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Interesting Thatch defenestration discussion last thread. She really failed to develop relationships in the later years of her Premiership.

She was also very bad at promoting women. If she has wanted to eliminate her rivals, she could have made a big thing out of 'women in leadership' or some such guff, and promoted a Gorman or a Bottomley or a Currie as junior Ministers to every 'big beast' she was concerned about. She could then have had regular special 'coffee chats' with these ladies, where they would tell her what Heseltine et al were up to. They would be loyal, because for the time being, they'd know they owed their jobs to her patronage.
  • mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Starmer showed how to scrape together a decent(ish) front bench despite a lot of loons on the back benches after jettisoning the socialist worker contingent and someone like Hunt/Mordant could do the same with a heavy clear out of Patel, JRM and Nads etc.

That would probably appease the blue wall MPs and some clever manoeuvres would be needed for the red wall but not impossible when you control the levers.

A quick pragmatic deal on the protocol and some sanity restored to the everyday puts the Tories back in the game relatively quickly.
  • Confirmed then, Labour is now the opposition in Scotland. Which is good news for them achieving a majority.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

Interesting Thatch defenestration discussion last thread. She really failed to develop relationships in the later years of her Premiership.

She was also very bad at promoting women. If she has wanted to eliminate her rivals, she could have made a big thing out of 'women in leadership' or some such guff, and promoted a Gorman or a Bottomley or a Currie as junior Ministers to every 'big beast' she was concerned about. She could then have had regular special 'coffee chats' with these ladies, where they would tell her what Heseltine et al were up to. They would be loyal, because for the time being, they'd know they owed their jobs to her patronage.

I’m sure Currie was under a big beast at that time?
This discussion has been closed.