Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Raab: “No leadership challenge next week” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303

ydoethur said:

Raab's a rarity, a lawyer who is thick as mince.

If he told me water was wet, I'd check.

He's also Cambridge educated.

Like Richard Burgon and Amanda Spielman.

Unfortunately thick lawyers from Cambridge are not as rare as they should be, although I realise there are some brainy ones about as well.
    Raab was ruined at Oxford, Cambridge cannot save them all.
    I think you're ascribing powers to Oxford that are almost supernatural, if you think they're responsible for Raab.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    I know and deal with a lot of solicitors. Some are really bright, focused, informed and capable. Others less so in various ways. But I genuinely cannot recall meeting or dealing with someone quite like Raab. There is an excellent Scottish word to describe him: glaikit. The fact that someone like him can make DPM really says all that needs to be said about this government.
  • Options
    Raab went to Oxford?

Point proven, going to uni doesn't mean you are intelligent
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I know and deal with a lot of solicitors. Some are really bright, focused, informed and capable. Others less so in various ways. But I genuinely cannot recall meeting or dealing with someone quite like Raab. There is an excellent Scottish word to describe him: glaikit. The fact that someone like him can make DPM really says all that needs to be said about this government.

Yet don't you support them?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Poor Dom R. He doesn't stand a chance in E&W in 23/24. And it's not as if the Gross Canine has ever shown him any loyalty in return for the pitiful obeisance.

Indeed, getting demoted from Foreign Secretary to Justice and spinning it as a promotion with the sinecure of Deputy Prime Minister was amusing.

He's Geoffrey Howe de nos jours, it's like actually being savaged by a dead sheep.
    If only Raab were like Howe - mild mannered sheep transformed into The Avenged Maggie Slayer.
    But Johnson wouldn't sit there and take his medicine like she did. He'd hide in the nearest fridge, under the pretext he was unloading that suitcase full of wine for the celebratory drinks.
    I've been toying with a piece for this weekend.

Imagine if Boris Johnson loses the confidence it takes 2-3 months for a Tory leadership contest to take place.

I can see him flouncing out because I don't think he could cope with being a lame duck PM, having to do all the hard work and having the piss taken out of him during the interregnum.

We will have a new temporary PM before we get the winner of the Tory leadership contest takes place.

This is going to wreak havoc with the betting markets.
    Then perhaps Betfair's "Boris Johnson PM for 2022 Conservative Conference ?", with "no" still available at around 2.4 is the answer ?

Got in a bit earlier, but still looks value to me, FWIW.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately thick lawyers from Cambridge are not as rare as they should be, although I realise there are some brainy ones about as well.
    I think you're ascribing powers to Oxford that are almost supernatural, if you think they're responsible for Raab.
    Raab wasn't the greatest at school - very much one of the ones the teachers were surprised got into Oxbridge...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it'll be Mordurant and Hunt as the final two.

Think the former will sneak it.

Tory rebels are turning to question of who their preferred candidate is for Tory leadership

Penny Mordaunt being backed by some as a 'compromise candidate' who can unite the party - particularly by Scottish Tories

She's said she's loyal

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1531938803883069441

Mordaunt won't get more than 30 or 40 votes.
    I think you're wrong.

Activists like myself and Marquee Mark think she'll do very well.
    Er, I thought you left the party?
    I rejoined earlier on this year because I felt there would be a leadership contest.

I've not really campaigned for the party, but I'm still active in several Tory WhatsApp groups.

The thing I've noticed in the last couple of months.

You'll get a handful of people vociferously defending Boris Johnson and now all you get is tumbleweeds as response, when previously you'd get lots of people agreeing.

I think the local elections was a real eye opener for many Tory activists.
    I have given up defending Boris in any form; even as a way of trolling the Left, it's no longer worth it

He's done what he was meant to do. Let hm retire to earn squillions from books and speeches (which he will)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    DavidL said:

Glaikit is a perfect description of Raab
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Raab wasn't the greatest at school - very much one of the ones the teachers were surprised got into Oxbridge...
    LMH, so not the highest of bars.
  • Options
    The Stade de France debacle-aftermath rumbles on in France

Macron has had to declare he has full confidence in his lying Interior Minister. Never a good sign for an interior minister
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    boulay said:

Interesting Thatch defenestration discussion last thread. She really failed to develop relationships in the later years of her Premiership.

She was also very bad at promoting women. If she has wanted to eliminate her rivals, she could have made a big thing out of 'women in leadership' or some such guff, and promoted a Gorman or a Bottomley or a Currie as junior Ministers to every 'big beast' she was concerned about. She could then have had regular special 'coffee chats' with these ladies, where they would tell her what Heseltine et al were up to. They would be loyal, because for the time being, they'd know they owed their jobs to her patronage.

I’m sure Currie was under a big beast at that time?
    :lol: It did flit across my mind, but I decided I was happy to do the corner kick and let someone else chip it in.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I'm intrigued. How do you know that?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ukraine has fired its human rights ombudsman for inventing horrific stories about mass rape by Russian troops.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ukraine-fires-human-rights-chief-perpetuating-russian-troop-systematic-rape-stories

"And now on Tuesday, Interfax, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, and others are reporting that Lyudmyla Denisova has been fired - precisely for floating and perpetuating fantastical claims of mass rape but without providing evidence..."
  • Options
    Swiss arms exports are likely to face a downturn ?

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1531942380454150144
    🇨🇭authorities vetoed 🇩🇰's request to send Swiss-made armoured personnel carriers to 🇺🇦
    The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) recently rejected Denmark's bid to provide about 20 Piranha III infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,707

Andy_JS said:

Tory rebels are turning to question of who their preferred candidate is for Tory leadership

Penny Mordaunt being backed by some as a 'compromise candidate' who can unite the party - particularly by Scottish Tories

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

I backed Mordaunt last Sept at 43 for next CP leader but only bet a puny tenner.
  • Options
    1st day of June in London. 15C at noon??

*smiles at the benign Tbilisi sky*

• Options

Ukraine has fired its human rights ombudsman for inventing horrific stories about mass rape by Russian troops.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ukraine-fires-human-rights-chief-perpetuating-russian-troop-systematic-rape-stories

"And now on Tuesday, Interfax, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, and others are reporting that Lyudmyla Denisova has been fired - precisely for floating and perpetuating fantastical claims of mass rape but without providing evidence..."

Not what the BBC is saying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61652467
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    I agree with OGH, the rebels would likely best wait until the by elections on June 23rd. If both are lost there would then certainly be a VONC with plenty of time left in the recess.

Go next week and if Boris wins then he is safe for a year and in next year's local elections the Tories might even make gains given they only got 28% NEV in 2019
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,707
    Significant market move with Smarket's No Confidence Result in 2022 market. Johnson loses has gone out to 2.26. Wins 1.66. Yesterday afternoon was 1.92/1.92.

I still think "loses" should be favourite.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I'm intrigued. How do you know that?
    Same school although he was below me.

Remember this is a Grammar school where it is usually obvious who the 20-30 going to Oxbridge are years before...

Rabb was very much in the heading to Durham, Bristol, Manchester group (not many went to London as it was too near home)
  • Options

"Ukrainian lawmakers dismissed the country’s ombudsman for human rights, Lyudmyla Denisova, in a no-confidence vote on Tuesday, concluding that she had failed to fulfill obligations including the facilitation of humanitarian corridors and countering the deportation of Ukrainians from occupied territory," The Wall Street Journal reported late in the day.

"Lawmaker Pavlo Frolov said Ms. Denisova was also accused of making insensitive and unverifiable statements about alleged Russian sex crimes and spending too much time in Western Europe during the invasion," the report added."

But I don't understand, as I am sure PB tells me that the Ukranians would never lie about anything big, just the harmless stuff right?
  • Options
    Genomic determinants of Furin cleavage in diverse European SARS-related bat coronaviruses
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03421-w.pdf
    The furin cleavage site (FCS) in SARS-CoV-2 is unique within the Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus (SrC) species. We re-assessed diverse SrC from European horseshoe bats and analyzed the spike-encoding genomic region harboring the FCS in SARS- CoV-2. We reveal molecular features in SrC such as purine richness and RNA secondary structures that resemble those required for FCS acquisition in avian influenza viruses. We discuss the potential acquisition of FCS through molecular mechanisms such as nucleotide substitution, insertion, or recombination, and show that a single nucleotide exchange in two European bat-associated SrC may suffice to enable furin cleavage. Furthermore, we show that FCS occurrence is variable in bat- and rodent-borne counterparts of human coronaviruses. Our results suggest that furin cleavage sites can be acquired in SrC via conserved molecular mechanisms known in other reservoir-bound RNA viruses and thus support a natural origin of SARS-CoV-2.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

Er, I thought you left the party?
    I rejoined earlier on this year because I felt there would be a leadership contest.

I've not really campaigned for the party, but I'm still active in several Tory WhatsApp groups.

The thing I've noticed in the last couple of months.

You'll get a handful of people vociferously defending Boris Johnson and now all you get is tumbleweeds as response, when previously you'd get lots of people agreeing.

I think the local elections was a real eye opener for many Tory activists.
    If only there had been some clues in Boris' past that could have given them a clue that we would transcend into thinking rules dont apply to him, lies and incompetence......
    Coincidentally, just reading the Staggers morning email by Zoe Grunewald:

" The science minister, George Freeman, shattered the illusion of Johnson’s resilience yesterday, when he admitted that he didn’t know whether Johnson could survive a no confidence vote.

Importantly, he issued an eyebrow-raising reminder that Johnson had never stood as “the patron saint of virtue” and that “the people knew who they were electing”.

This comment is revealing. The Tories are not interested in integrity because it wasn’t a political necessity when Johnson won the leadership bid. Elected to “get Brexit done”, Johnson’s duplicity and slipperiness seemed a more successful approach for dealing with the obstructive EU than May’s earnestness and diplomacy, which had left parliament gridlocked and the public thoroughly exhausted."
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

Looks like the original source is Interfax. Treat it accordingly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No particular reason why you should remember my posts but I have been increasingly disenchanted for quite a while. I support the union. If that means I vote tactically for the Tories in what would be my new seat after the boundary changes so be it. If they didn't get through for some reason I would vote Labour. But I don't support the government's policies which are stupid, bordering on self harm.

We need a better relationship with the EU, not another row.
    The windfall tax by any other name smelling as foul was just stupid. The response of the oil majors that they are going to reconsider investment in the UK predictable and harmful.
    I am really not up for more culture wedge issues. I would want to seek consensus not rows.
    The money available to Sunak should have been focused on those in receipt of UC, not spread thin to a lot of people (like me) who didn't need it.
    Education policy in England seems almost as stupid and damaging as that in Scotland, and it is hard to find a worse insult than that.
    Boris is a dreadful liar, he's not even good at it.
    Most fundamentally there is a complete lack of purpose, other than survival. Ridiculous short termism and gestures like that Rwanda nonsense, its pathetic. We have no clear economic policy and no thought as to what is going to make this a better country for those of us lucky enough to live in it. SKS is boring, dull and also lacks that vision thing but could he really be any worse?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I agree with OGH, the rebels would likely best wait until the by elections on June 23rd. If both are lost there would then certainly be a VONC with plenty of time left in the recess.

Go next week and if Boris wins then he is safe for a year and in next year's local elections the Tories might even make gains given they only got 28% NEV in 2019

Can everyone please stop the "safe for a year" nonsense?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    My reading of the runes is that 54 letters are already in, and Graham Brady will make the announcement on Monday, once the Jubilee Weekend is over.

Getting to the 180 needed to dislodge the 'greased piglet' is another matter, for the reasons implicit in the previous thread: it's by no means clear who the alternative would be.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That’s exactly what it's saying. It is politely saying 'handling of alleged rape cases'. The inference couldn't be clearer and the leaving out of the substantive issue is totally unsurprising.
  • Options

My reading of the runes is that 54 letters are already in, and Graham Brady will make the announcement on Monday, once the Jubilee Weekend is over.

Getting to the 180 needed to dislodge the 'greased piglet' is another matter, for the reasons implicit in the previous thread: it's by no means clear who the alternative would be.

And so Bozo carries on serenely as if nothing happened.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,000

She's said she's loyal

Agree - if they are the two, she wins. She's my candidate as the one I see able to keep the Red Wall voter and return the currently lost Blue Wall voter. She isn't exactly Boris Lite, but what might appeal to those who are anti-politician is she doesn't take herself TOO seriously (cock....) whilst being a new page turned away from Boris.

And I think Starmer would really struggle against her.
    I'm not sure if it's evidence of her political skill but Mordaunt has done a good job of turning herself into a relatively blank slate while avoiding making enemies.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That’s exactly what it's saying. It is politely saying 'handling of alleged rape cases'. The inference couldn't be clearer and the leaving out of the substantive issue is totally unsurprising.
    If you read it, what they're saying is that she was fired not for making claims up a la Zerohedge's content on any given day, but for messing up the gathering of evidence making it impossible to prosecute the criminals, a la the Lawrence case.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You parroting the Russian propaganda line is even less surprising, tbf.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,282
    Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

What's nonsense about it?
  • Options

She's said she's loyal

Agree - if they are the two, she wins. She's my candidate as the one I see able to keep the Red Wall voter and return the currently lost Blue Wall voter. She isn't exactly Boris Lite, but what might appeal to those who are anti-politician is she doesn't take herself TOO seriously (cock....) whilst being a new page turned away from Boris.

I'm not sure if it's evidence of her political skill but Mordaunt has done a good job of turning herself into a relatively blank slate while avoiding making enemies.
    Exactly. She hasn't put herself out there as a threat. And she hasn't got close enough to Bojo and senior enough to be identified with his administration in the way that Truss and Sunak are.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

The continuing paralysis of government is quite something. Nothing matters apart from the fight to save Big Dog, or to put him out of our misery. Meanwhile the random squirrel generator spits out half arsed policies on imperial measures and vacuum cleaner power.

I suppose there isn't much else going on in the world.

Johnson should be taking a lead on the airport fiasco. If he can't he should go and let someone else try to sort it out.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

You parroting the Russian propaganda line is even less surprising, tbf.
    It's a Russian propaganda line that Ukraine has sacked its Human Rights ombudsman and Ukranian MP's have cited her spreading stories about rape that couldn't be substantiated as one of the reasons? Fuck off.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

The continuing paralysis of government is quite something. Nothing matters apart from the fight to save Big Dog, or to put him out of our misery. Meanwhile the random squirrel generator spits out half arsed policies on imperial measures and vacuum cleaner power.

Johnson should be taking a lead on the airport fiasco. If he can't he should go and let someone else try to sort it out.
    Johnson should be going to an airport and catching a one-way flight to - well, who cares as long as it's not here?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

234 lawmakers voted to dismiss Lyudmyla Denisova. Earlier, Ukrainian journalists have expressed concerns over Denisova's reports of rapes by Russian soldiers, that were sometimes seen as disrespectful towards survivors.
    https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1531616886512832520

She was a controversial appointment from the start, since the previous government dismissed her widely respected predecessor for what were seen as political reasons.

No doubt more will emerge in time, but the idea that this discredits the huge number of reports of Russian abuses and atrocities is fantasy.
    It does seem to be true that she made some claims which were not well grounded, but for that reason I would take her dismissal as a point in the government's favour.
    The position is supposed to have a degree of impartiality rather than advocacy for the Ukrainian cause.

I'd also note that Ukraine has requested and welcomed numbers of UN human rights observers - something which is certainly not true of the invaders.

• Options
    The UN isn't happy, though.

The dismissal of Denisova as Ombudsperson "runs contrary to international standards & undermines the independence of this important human rights institution in Ukraine" - UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1531883240910295040
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Genomic determinants of Furin cleavage in diverse European SARS-related bat coronaviruses
    The furin cleavage site (FCS) in SARS-CoV-2 is unique within the Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus (SrC) species. We re-assessed diverse SrC from European horseshoe bats and analyzed the spike-encoding genomic region harboring the FCS in SARS- CoV-2. We reveal molecular features in SrC such as purine richness and RNA secondary structures that resemble those required for FCS acquisition in avian influenza viruses. We discuss the potential acquisition of FCS through molecular mechanisms such as nucleotide substitution, insertion, or recombination, and show that a single nucleotide exchange in two European bat-associated SrC may suffice to enable furin cleavage. Furthermore, we show that FCS occurrence is variable in bat- and rodent-borne counterparts of human coronaviruses. Our results suggest that furin cleavage sites can be acquired in SrC via conserved molecular mechanisms known in other reservoir-bound RNA viruses and thus support a natural origin of SARS-CoV-2.

I quickly checked the authors of that paper. Coz I had this vague suspicion, this weird hunch. Call me Sergeant Major Over-Suspicious, and Herr Kapitan Haupfuhrer Uber-Hunch

Anyway. Lookie here. Gosh and Goodness. Who could have predicted it

Co-Author: Christian Drosten?

Who could he be? Ah, yes, this guy!

Christian Drosten was one of the signatories of the notorious Lancet letter weaponizing the lab leak hypothesis as a "Conspiracy Theory". Thanks to
    @R_H_Ebright
    for translating Drosten's important comments. #originofcovid

n/ Christian Drosten wanted to perform GoF research on MERS virus. Such lab leak could cause hundreds of millions of deaths the first year. We need debate and regulation.

https://twitter.com/JanKlimkowski/status/1491386663792447488?s=20&t=A9u7AN2986VikUaz3mAG3Q

https://twitter.com/BillyBostickson/status/1451190718274228237?s=20&t=A9u7AN2986VikUaz3mAG3Q

https://twitter.com/peter_berghmans/status/1450703060322373634?s=20&t=A9u7AN2986VikUaz3mAG3Q

They're still at it, still desperately trying to cover it up, and it is still pitiful. Indeed it has gone beyond pitiful, it is now simply sad
  • Options

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

Theresa May won a VONC. She wasn't safe for a year.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

234 lawmakers voted to dismiss Lyudmyla Denisova. Earlier, Ukrainian journalists have expressed concerns over Denisova's reports of rapes by Russian soldiers, that were sometimes seen as disrespectful towards survivors.
    https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1531616886512832520

She was a controversial appointment from the start, since the previous government dismissed her widely respected predecessor for what were seen as political reasons.

No doubt more will emerge in time, but the idea that this discredits the huge number of reports of Russian abuses and atrocities is fantasy.
    It does seem to be true that she made some claims which were not well grounded, but for that reason I would take her dismissal as a point in the government's favour.
    The position is supposed to have a degree of impartiality rather than advocacy for the Ukrainian cause.

I'd also note that Ukraine has requested and welcomed numbers of UN human rights observers - something which is certainly not true of the invaders.

To quote a Ukranian MP:

"The unclear focus of the Ombudsman's media work on the numerous details of ‘sexual crimes committed in an unnatural way’ and ‘rape of children’ in the occupied territories that could not be confirmed by evidence, only harmed Ukraine."

As I said in the middle of one of my recent customary PB flamings on this issue, we do need to be careful that the stories of atrocities in this conflict are weighed up and supported by the evidence.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Mike, can I question this

“ My own view is that those opposed to the incumbent PM would be better off delaying a move until after the June 23rd by-elections”.

What makes the by elections so much more decisive than waiting for the locals was, the FPN, the Gray Report? They might even hold Tivi, therefore a successful evening, what will they start waiting for then?

what more do they need to wait for? They are clearly in a hole. the PM unable to escape Partygate is dragging his party deeper, the PM without a clear or rational economic direction is dragging them deeper.

Meanwhile, The VONC asks a very clear question of every Tory MP, we are in a hole on course for a terrible result, is Boris the one to turn it around or not? Boris starts on one and needs another 180 votes from somewhere. Some, have put letters in or spoken out, are sure how they would vote, they have made their minds up - there point right now isn’t getting rid of Boris, to them the vonc is to ask the question of their colleagues “we are in a losing hole, is Boris best option to get us out?” And get their colleagues off the fence on this. So the party doesn’t amble on to defeat without at least asking itself this question.

My point is, It’s not about waiting to hollow out Boris more with bad by election night, he might even just hold Tivi and claim success, but that actually changes nothing about the situation. It’s not a get Boris VONC, it’s a “we are in a hole, what’s our best way out” democratic/communication/decision making exercise.
  • Options
    Thread on the debate in the German parliament.
    Scholtz appears to have caved to pressure, and has committed to sending various more capable weapons systems to Ukraine this month.
    Not massive numbers, but not insignificant if he keeps to his word.

https://twitter.com/vonderburchard/status/1531897215916158977
    Big Bundestag debate on Ukraine this morning: Opposition leader Friedrich Merz accuses Chancellor Scholz of ignoring parliamentary resolution to send "heavy weapons."

"More than a month after this resolution, the promised weapons have not been delivered to Ukraine to this day."
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,624
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

She had something she needed to get done. Boris does not so pointless drifting is easier.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

So if Boris won his VONC what could endanger him before the year has passed? I'm not being sarcastic here - I'm genuinely interested to know what further weapons the anti-Borisites would have at their disposal in this scenario.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

Boris is not safe if he wins it, not by a long way
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,971

What the hell would Raaaaaaaab know about it? Remember this is the man who as Brexit Secretary had to confess that he was clueless about fiendish complex hidden secrets like the Dover - Calais crossing.

He said that he had assumed it was 80-85% and was surprised to find out it was 95% of trade.

That’s not an unreasonable estimate before becoming Brexit secretary.

I prefer a minister who admits he didn’t know something. But you and other politicians obsessives use it to claim he’s stupid.

Net result - politicians who lie and bluster.

I hope you’re proud of yourself
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

So if Boris won his VONC what could endanger him before the year has passed? I'm not being sarcastic here - I'm genuinely interested to know what further weapons the anti-Borisites would have at their disposal in this scenario.
    The rules aren't set in stone. If there's a majority against him, the 22 can suspend the 12 month rule.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I quickly checked the authors of that paper. Coz I had this vague suspicion, this weird hunch. Call me Sergeant Major Over-Suspicious, and Herr Kapitan Haupfuhrer Uber-Hunch....
    And your comments on the science ?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Nigelb said:

The dismissal of Denisova as Ombudsperson "runs contrary to international standards & undermines the independence of this important human rights institution in Ukraine" - UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission

I thought you said it was a point in the Ukrainian Government's favour that they have dismissed her?
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,500
    Patriotic fervour slowly rising.

Seen four or five houses bedecked in bunting in the half mile or so round my gaff, which isn’t too bad I suppose.

Wonder if they’ve treated themselves.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I quickly checked the authors of that paper. Coz I had this vague suspicion, this weird hunch. Call me Sergeant Major Over-Suspicious, and Herr Kapitan Haupfuhrer Uber-Hunch....
    I'd no more read science by that guy than I would trust a Death Certificate signed by Harold Shipman

You save time that way
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

First, and second like the two best buys in Which for vacuum cleaners which I have just checked out iof interest (and one of whom I own so I can confirm it's excellent). Their power ratings are 0.89 and 0.75 kW - and that is with the oomph turned up to 11. So this 1.4 limit was fine as it was and increasing it is just stupid.

Perhaps the two vacuum cleaners you speak of are top of their class because you can't get the old high power ones any more?

I bought a new vacuum cleaner of the same make as my old one and found it far inferior - ended up getting the old one fixed instead. It was without a doubt the loss of power in the newer model that made it... suck.
    It’s more noticeable with tumble driers that take longer and do a less good job than before
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    It will be next week, Johnson will have most votes but not the 50% he needs, there will be a lot of abstentions.
    Raab cannot be expected to say any different to what he said this morning. He is Dep Prime Minister for Gods sake.He will probably stand if Johnson gives up when it becomes clear the abstentions will vote against him.
    Question if that is settled before the by elections could it swing things for the Tories, might do in Tiverton..
  • Options

Farooq said:

@Farooq is an excellent poster.

I'm held up by blu tack
    You look very fetching in that tennis dress that you're almost wearing.
    An Athena reference?
  • Options
    theakes said:

It will be next week, Johnson will have most votes but not the 50% he needs, there will be a lot of abstentions.
    Raab cannot be expected to say any different to what he said this morning. He is Dep Prime Minister for Gods sake.He will probably stand if Johnson gives up when it becomes clear the abstentions will vote against him.
    Question if that is settled before the by elections could it swing things for the Tories, might do in Tiverton..

So is it 50% of the votes or 50% of the electorate that need to vote 'gone'?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420

She's said she's loyal

Exactly. She hasn't put herself out there as a threat. And she hasn't got close enough to Bojo and senior enough to be identified with his administration in the way that Truss and Sunak are.
    She was sacked by Boris as Defence Secretary but worked her way back to a more junior role. Perhaps, crucially, she is a Brexiteer, unlike Hunt and Truss. I agree - think she'd beat Hunt in a two-way contest. He'd be better off against Liz Truss.

I remember her face, when the cameras scanned the frontbench, as the announcement of Boris's leadership win was announced. Looked like she'd swallowed a wasp.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

need to think about this one. One does not simply walk into Mordurant.
    Is it the real Penny they like, or an idea that hadn’t undergone due diligence? When she has given speeches and done policy, it’s not been without criticism I recall?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,374

IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

Is it the real Penny they like, or an idea that hadn’t undergone due diligence? When she has given speeches and done policy, it’s not been without criticism I recall?
    Just waiting for the Penny to drop... :wink:
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I thought you said it was a point in the Ukrainian Government's favour that they have dismissed her?
    Yes, I still do.
    That's not a reason not to post contrary evidence, though.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    'Its by no means clear who the alternative would be'

Well quite.

Post Johnson, the tories would surely implode into a vicious civil war. Brexiteers versus remainers. Thatcherites vs Heseltinis. And most crucially, Net Zero target versus no Net Zero target. Some of the MPs are a world away from some others.

The notion that Lockdown Hunt, Comrade Sunak, The Harper Baker massive, or anybody else, could lead that party is I think fanciful. That's what is keeping Johnson in power, partly.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,521
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

The rules aren't set in stone. If there's a majority against him, the 22 can suspend the 12 month rule.
    The Privileges Committee could, plausibly, find against Boris and recommend a sanction. That would then have to go to a vote of the Commons. How many Tory votes or abstentions would be needed for that to pass? Hard to see how Boris could hang on to number 10 while suspended from Parliament!

Is this far fetched? Possibly. Would it be immense fun to see our country’s democratic norms try and cope? Possibly.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,378
    OT

BBC just mentioned brexit as one of the causes of the worker shortage hitting airports etc.

A slip up there, she'll have to be retrained.

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I'd no more read science by that guy than I would trust a Death Certificate signed by Harold Shipman

You save time that way
    Thought so.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, I still do.
    That's not a reason not to post contrary evidence, though.
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No particular reason why you should remember my posts but I have been increasingly disenchanted for quite a while. I support the union. If that means I vote tactically for the Tories in what would be my new seat after the boundary changes so be it. If they didn't get through for some reason I would vote Labour. But I don't support the government's policies which are stupid, bordering on self harm.

The windfall tax by any other name smelling as foul was just stupid. The response of the oil majors that they are going to reconsider investment in the UK predictable and harmful.
    I am really not up for more culture wedge issues. I would want to seek consensus not rows.
    The money available to Sunak should have been focused on those in receipt of UC, not spread thin to a lot of people (like me) who didn't need it.
    Education policy in England seems almost as stupid and damaging as that in Scotland, and it is hard to find a worse insult than that.
    Most fundamentally there is a complete lack of purpose, other than survival. Ridiculous short termism and gestures like that Rwanda nonsense, its pathetic. We have no clear economic policy and no thought as to what is going to make this a better country for those of us lucky enough to live in it. SKS is boring, dull and also lacks that vision thing but could he really be any worse?
    Pretty fair comment.

I think the one "policy" that BJ has going for him is Levelling Up. Whoever succeeds him needs to double-down on that in order to get some momentum and, in doing so, contrast themselves with Sir Keir who seems totally without the means of motion. Otherwise its just short-term fire-fighting and inevitable defeat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Johnson should be going to an airport and catching a one-way flight to - well, who cares as long as it's not here?
    If the plane isn’t cancelled at the moment he’s checking in.

Surely the companies know long before someone is at a check in desk that their holiday is looking doubtful? It seems cruel to wait till last minute to share what they must have known or suspected long before that moment?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,346

OT

BBC just mentioned brexit as one of the causes of the worker shortage hitting airports etc.

Can't get the staff these days.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

She will do well with the members. Not sure about MPs
  • Options
    Selebian said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

The point is, we need to hear more Penny, more interviews, more policy, more to go on?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If you read it, what they're saying is that she was fired not for making claims up a la Zerohedge's content on any given day, but for messing up the gathering of evidence making it impossible to prosecute the criminals, a la the Lawrence case.
    This is also to the point.

FEMALE MEDIA WORKERS CALL ON LYUDMILA DENISOVA TO ABSTAIN FROM DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS WHEN INFORMING THE PUBLIC ABOUT RAPE
    https://imi.org.ua/en/news/female-media-workers-call-on-lyudmila-denisova-to-abstain-from-detailed-descriptions-when-informing-i45763
    ...The authors of the address note that sexual crimes during the war are family tragedies, a difficult and traumatic subject, and not a topic for publications in the spirit of a "scandalous chronicle." They urge us to remember the goal: to draw attention to the facts of crime.

"This information is being spread in the media, sensitive words become clickable headlines, and public opinion leaders are quoting it in blogs, during international cultural events organized to advocate for survivors, draw attention to the war in Ukraine and horrific crimes committed by russians," the address says.

In addition, the media workers point out that any information published by the Commissioner or her office has the status of verified facts.They point out that it is very important that the information about the sexual crimes of the invaders is really verified...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

But she's already got the eagles on her side.....
  • Options

Selebian said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

The point is, we need to hear more Penny, more interviews, more policy, more to go on?
    We know a lot about Truss, none of it encouraging.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pretty fair comment.

I think the one "policy" that BJ has going for him is Levelling Up. Whoever succeeds him needs to double-down on that in order to get some momentum and, in doing so, contrast themselves with Sir Keir who seems totally without the means of motion. Otherwise its just short-term fire-fighting and inevitable defeat.
    Levelling up was a good idea, almost certainly from Gove. It got completely derailed by Covid but it needs to be reasserted. In fairness, the government's policy on Ukraine is right too. But these are modest examples.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

You save time that way
    Thought so.
    You didn't even check the authors did you? You had no idea who they were, or how they might be badly tainted

Thought so
  • Options

Selebian said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's said she's loyal

We know a lot about Truss, none of it encouraging.
    The fact that Dominic Cummings thinks she is a complete inbicile, one of the worst in Parliament, is a possible exception to that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited June 2022

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed May only went because of terrible local election results in May 2019. This year's local elections have been and gone as will the by elections after June 23rd. The Tories will likely make gains in the 2023 local elections given they only got 28% NEV in 2019
  • Options

boulay said:

Interesting Thatch defenestration discussion last thread. She really failed to develop relationships in the later years of her Premiership.

She was also very bad at promoting women. If she has wanted to eliminate her rivals, she could have made a big thing out of 'women in leadership' or some such guff, and promoted a Gorman or a Bottomley or a Currie as junior Ministers to every 'big beast' she was concerned about. She could then have had regular special 'coffee chats' with these ladies, where they would tell her what Heseltine et al were up to. They would be loyal, because for the time being, they'd know they owed their jobs to her patronage.

I’m sure Currie was under a big beast at that time?
    :lol: It did flit across my mind, but I decided I was happy to do the corner kick and let someone else chip it in.
    Wasn’t that what John was doing?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    I've used the wayback machine to have a look at how accurate electoralcalculus is - taking the prediction just before the last 5 GEs..

12 Dec 2019 Con 348 Lab 227 LD 13 SNP 41 Actual 365/202/11/48
    8 June 2017 Con 361 Lab 216 LD 3 SNP 48 Actual 317/262/12/35
    7 May 2015 Con 255 Lab 310 LD 14 SNP 46 Actual 330/232/8/56
    6 May 2010 (Feb 10 scrape) Con 324 Lab 247 LD 45 Actual 306/258/57
    5 May 2005 Con 203 Lab 357 LD 57 Actual 198/355/62

Notable errors both ways in 2015 and 2017, but on the whole a reasonable record.

Average projection : Con 298 / Lab 271 / LD 26 / SNP 45
    Actual average result : Con 303 / Lab 262 / LD 30 / SNP 46

Boris' big hope must be that it's a miss like in 2015, but he doesn't have the leader ratings that Cameron did back then.
  • Options

OT

Well you can get the staff if you pay them enough but you can no longer find the staff when paying the minimum wage and expecting people to do shift work or split shifts.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

This is also to the point.

FEMALE MEDIA WORKERS CALL ON LYUDMILA DENISOVA TO ABSTAIN FROM DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS WHEN INFORMING THE PUBLIC ABOUT RAPE
    https://imi.org.ua/en/news/female-media-workers-call-on-lyudmila-denisova-to-abstain-from-detailed-descriptions-when-informing-i45763
    ...The authors of the address note that sexual crimes during the war are family tragedies, a difficult and traumatic subject, and not a topic for publications in the spirit of a "scandalous chronicle." They urge us to remember the goal: to draw attention to the facts of crime.

"This information is being spread in the media, sensitive words become clickable headlines, and public opinion leaders are quoting it in blogs, during international cultural events organized to advocate for survivors, draw attention to the war in Ukraine and horrific crimes committed by russians," the address says.

In addition, the media workers point out that any information published by the Commissioner or her office has the status of verified facts.They point out that it is very important that the information about the sexual crimes of the invaders is really verified...
    I am sure (don't ask me why) the quoted passage is supposed to oppose my argument, but the bolded passage actually reinforces it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pretty fair comment.

Would love to know what levelling up can be achieved in a visible way before the next election.. Time is running incredibly short...
  • Options

I was intrigued that - given all the various well known sources publishing on this - you chose to rely on zero hedge, a known Russian funded disinformation source

There were two reasons she was fired:

1. Insensitive handling of reporting with traumatic details (especially involving children) being included in public commentary. This was what upset the media
    2. Inclusion of unverified details in her statements

Rather different to the way that you and zero hedge present events

https://www.newsweek.com/lyudmila-denisova-ukraine-commissioner-human-rights-removed-russian-sexual-assault-claims-1711680?amp=1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

May was clearly a lame duck after the VONC and realised she had to go for the good of the party and country. I don't like her politics, but she does have some integrity. I don't think Johnson would be troubled by being a lame duck, he would float on to the next fiasco.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    NEW: @IpsosUK polling in Scotland shows dissatisfaction with Boris Johnson at an all-time high; 83% are now dissatisfied with his performance with just 12% satisfied. [1/5] https://twitter.com/TrinhIpsosUK/status/1531971242273783820/photo/1
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pretty fair comment.

Would love to know what levelling up can be achieved in a visible way before the next election.. Time is running incredibly short...
    A decision that the Government would support tidal lagoon power stations in places like Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, North Wales, Barrow, Workington - that would be a fucking start. Instead of Boris's stupid "dash for nuclear". If there is one thing you cannot "dash", it is nuclear power.
    Are your lines of communication with HMG open? If Boris is going to change his mind on this, right now is certainly time for a desperation move of this nature.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

'Its by no means clear who the alternative would be'

Well quite.

Post Johnson, the tories would surely implode into a vicious civil war. Brexiteers versus remainers. Thatcherites vs Heseltinis. And most crucially, Net Zero target versus no Net Zero target. Some of the MPs are a world away from some others.

The notion that Lockdown Hunt, Comrade Sunak, The Harper Baker massive, or anybody else, could lead that party is I think fanciful. That's what is keeping Johnson in power, partly.

There's certainly an element within the Tories for whom Brexit is still unresolved and only all-out war with the EU will offer closure. If a representative of this element becomes PM then expect Boris's deal to scrapped with immediate effect, a hard border in Ireland, tariffs etc. Boris will look a consolidating figure in comparison.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pretty fair comment.

Ten million hanging baskets and twenty million flags.

Actually, we could do a lot of worse things with with a billion quid.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    First question in Boris Johnson Mumsnet interview:

'Why should we believe anything you say when it is proven you're a habitual liar?'

Boris Johnson:

Well first of all I don't agree with the conclusion... people throw all sorts of accusations at me about all sorts of things'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1531967867540934657
  • Options

"Ukrainian lawmakers dismissed the country’s ombudsman for human rights, Lyudmyla Denisova, in a no-confidence vote on Tuesday, concluding that she had failed to fulfill obligations including the facilitation of humanitarian corridors and countering the deportation of Ukrainians from occupied territory," The Wall Street Journal reported late in the day.

"Lawmaker Pavlo Frolov said Ms. Denisova was also accused of making insensitive and unverifiable statements about alleged Russian sex crimes and spending too much time in Western Europe during the invasion," the report added."

But I don't understand, as I am sure PB tells me that the Ukranians would never lie about anything big, just the harmless stuff right?
    “Unverifiable” is not the same as lying.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2022
    Another day, another football club bought by the Americans....

American investment group RedBird Capital have reached an agreement to buy AC Milan from Elliott Advisors.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61660438
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    eek said:

OT

Well you can get the staff if you pay them enough but you can no longer find the staff when paying the minimum wage and expecting people to do shift work or split shifts.
    Au contraire. There is a shortage of labour across all segments and all levels. Paying high wages, or even creating great conditions are not a certain ways of attracting the staff businesses need. Fundamentally many people do not wish to change jobs if they are reasonably comfortable. Simplistic solutions do not apply.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

'Why should we believe anything you say when it is proven you're a habitual liar?'

Boris Johnson:

Well first of all I don't agree with the conclusion... people throw all sorts of accusations at me about all sorts of things'

He even lies about being a liar.
  • Options

Agreed. But I think getting the 180 is easier than the 54. The big mo, baby.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson:

He even lies about being a liar.
    Logically, he has to- see the Sapphire City guards puzzles;
    https://youtu.be/02gfh-h6mTQ
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    @AnasSarwar has a higher net positive satisfaction rating than *any* other Scottish party leader

https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/1531968149423370241

Yes, Sturgeon's positives are higher, but so are her negatives…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

She's said she's loyal

I think you're wrong.

She will do well with the members. Not sure about MPs
    I tend to agree. MPs are normally unwilling to elevate someone to leader who they think might have less credentials for that role than they do themselves (even if delusional).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

An American colleague: "Couldn't pour piss out a boot if the instructions were written under the heel...."
This discussion has been closed.