Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Raab: “No leadership challenge next week” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,658

Patriotic fervour slowly rising.

Seen four or five houses bedecked in bunting in the half mile or so round my gaff, which isn’t too bad I suppose.

Wonder if they’ve treated themselves.

Went for my morning walk around the residential areas as the field was too muddy. Only UJs were a little bunting outside the sheltered housing for oldies, and 3 smallish on sticks in flower pots outside another house (also elderly inhabitant, possibly Tory activist IIRC).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I know and deal with a lot of solicitors. Some are really bright, focused, informed and capable. Others less so in various ways. But I genuinely cannot recall meeting or dealing with someone quite like Raab. There is an excellent Scottish word to describe him: glaikit. The fact that someone like him can make DPM really says all that needs to be said about this government.

Yet don't you support them?
    No particular reason why you should remember my posts but I have been increasingly disenchanted for quite a while. I support the union. If that means I vote tactically for the Tories in what would be my new seat after the boundary changes so be it. If they didn't get through for some reason I would vote Labour. But I don't support the government's policies which are stupid, bordering on self harm.

We need a better relationship with the EU, not another row.
    The windfall tax by any other name smelling as foul was just stupid. The response of the oil majors that they are going to reconsider investment in the UK predictable and harmful.
    I am really not up for more culture wedge issues. I would want to seek consensus not rows.
    The money available to Sunak should have been focused on those in receipt of UC, not spread thin to a lot of people (like me) who didn't need it.
    Education policy in England seems almost as stupid and damaging as that in Scotland, and it is hard to find a worse insult than that.
    Boris is a dreadful liar, he's not even good at it.
    Most fundamentally there is a complete lack of purpose, other than survival. Ridiculous short termism and gestures like that Rwanda nonsense, its pathetic. We have no clear economic policy and no thought as to what is going to make this a better country for those of us lucky enough to live in it. SKS is boring, dull and also lacks that vision thing but could he really be any worse?
    Pretty fair comment.

I think the one "policy" that BJ has going for him is Levelling Up. Whoever succeeds him needs to double-down on that in order to get some momentum and, in doing so, contrast themselves with Sir Keir who seems totally without the means of motion. Otherwise its just short-term fire-fighting and inevitable defeat.
    Would love to know what levelling up can be achieved in a visible way before the next election.. Time is running incredibly short...
    Ten million hanging baskets and twenty million flags.

Actually, we could do a lot of worse things with with a billion quid.
    Redecorate Downing Street?

Although a billion wouldn't cover it and it wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588

Ukraine has fired its human rights ombudsman for inventing horrific stories about mass rape by Russian troops.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ukraine-fires-human-rights-chief-perpetuating-russian-troop-systematic-rape-stories

"And now on Tuesday, Interfax, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, and others are reporting that Lyudmyla Denisova has been fired - precisely for floating and perpetuating fantastical claims of mass rape but without providing evidence..."

"Ukrainian lawmakers dismissed the country’s ombudsman for human rights, Lyudmyla Denisova, in a no-confidence vote on Tuesday, concluding that she had failed to fulfill obligations including the facilitation of humanitarian corridors and countering the deportation of Ukrainians from occupied territory," The Wall Street Journal reported late in the day.

"Lawmaker Pavlo Frolov said Ms. Denisova was also accused of making insensitive and unverifiable statements about alleged Russian sex crimes and spending too much time in Western Europe during the invasion," the report added."

But I don't understand, as I am sure PB tells me that the Ukranians would never lie about anything big, just the harmless stuff right?
    “Unverifiable” is not the same as lying.
    So being economical with the truth gets you sacked in Kyiv? Those Ukranians have lots to learn. In Moscow that gets you promoted and in Westminster it makes you PM.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    edited June 2022

Ukraine has fired its human rights ombudsman for inventing horrific stories about mass rape by Russian troops.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ukraine-fires-human-rights-chief-perpetuating-russian-troop-systematic-rape-stories

"And now on Tuesday, Interfax, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, and others are reporting that Lyudmyla Denisova has been fired - precisely for floating and perpetuating fantastical claims of mass rape but without providing evidence..."

I was intrigued that - given all the various well known sources publishing on this - you chose to rely on zero hedge, a known Russian funded disinformation source

There were two reasons she was fired:

1. Insensitive handling of reporting with traumatic details (especially involving children) being included in public commentary. This was what upset the media
    2. Inclusion of unverified details in her statements

Rather different to the way that you and zero hedge present events

https://www.newsweek.com/lyudmila-denisova-ukraine-commissioner-human-rights-removed-russian-sexual-assault-claims-1711680?amp=1
    I did not 'choose to rely on Zerohedge', I dip into Zerohedge every now and again as a source of alternative news, as I used to with RT until that option was closed to us. I saw this story and immediately thought it would be of interest to the PB commentariat. Given that I am frequently attacked for daring to question the veracity of Ukraine's war crime allegations, which apparently we are supposed to treat as faultless fact, and given that I was attacked this week as an enabler of rape amongst other things, it's certainly of interest to me.

As for your numbered statements, no, that is not what this story is about. There are not 'unverified details' in her statements, there are unverifiable rapes. Your construction is specious, because you are indicating that these rapes definitely did take place, but minor bits and bobs wouldn't stand up in a court of law. That sort of thing is not what is being talked about and would never have lead to these events.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Scott_xP said:

First question in Boris Johnson Mumsnet interview:

'Why should we believe anything you say when it is proven you're a habitual liar?'

Boris Johnson:

Well first of all I don't agree with the conclusion... people throw all sorts of accusations at me about all sorts of things'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1531967867540934657

Replace "Mumsnet" with "Millions of voters at the next election".

That's where we are, Tory MPs.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,017

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Not what the BBC is saying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61652467
    That’s exactly what it's saying. It is politely saying 'handling of alleged rape cases'. The inference couldn't be clearer and the leaving out of the substantive issue is totally unsurprising.
    You parroting the Russian propaganda line is even less surprising, tbf.
    It's a Russian propaganda line that Ukraine has sacked its Human Rights ombudsman and Ukranian MP's have cited her spreading stories about rape that couldn't be substantiated as one of the reasons? Fuck off.
    It’s one of a number of reasons and not the most important. But that not how you and zero hedge presented it
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

My reading of the runes is that 54 letters are already in, and Graham Brady will make the announcement on Monday, once the Jubilee Weekend is over.

Getting to the 180 needed to dislodge the 'greased piglet' is another matter, for the reasons implicit in the previous thread: it's by no means clear who the alternative would be.

Agreed. But I think getting the 180 is easier than the 54. The big mo, baby.
    It may be wishful thinking, but once again I agree with Nick, oh sorry @StillWaters . Boris Johnson has never been liked by Tory MPs with the exception of Nadine Dorries and JRM (both know no-one else would be stupid enough to hav ethem in the cabinet). They only reason they supported him previously was because they stupidly fell for the "Boris is popular" crap. Well so is Benny Hill, but I wouldn't make him PM (though HYUFD probably would if it "won the Red Wall"!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

"Ukrainian lawmakers dismissed the country’s ombudsman for human rights, Lyudmyla Denisova, in a no-confidence vote on Tuesday, concluding that she had failed to fulfill obligations including the facilitation of humanitarian corridors and countering the deportation of Ukrainians from occupied territory," The Wall Street Journal reported late in the day.

"Lawmaker Pavlo Frolov said Ms. Denisova was also accused of making insensitive and unverifiable statements about alleged Russian sex crimes and spending too much time in Western Europe during the invasion," the report added."

But I don't understand, as I am sure PB tells me that the Ukranians would never lie about anything big, just the harmless stuff right?
    So being economical with the truth gets you sacked in Kyiv? Those Ukranians have lots to learn. In Moscow that gets you promoted and in Westminster it makes you PM.
    It gets you sacked when it gets so bad that a group of women from various NGO's make a public statement condemning you for it, yes.

But for the record, yes, the Russians lie through their teeth also.
  • Options

Seen four or five houses bedecked in bunting in the half mile or so round my gaff, which isn’t too bad I suppose.

Is that for the Yorkshire Patriotic Party? Looks like Yorkshire pud oven dish to me ...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,021
    Carnyx said:

Went for my morning walk around the residential areas as the field was too muddy. Only UJs were a little bunting outside the sheltered housing for oldies, and 3 smallish on sticks in flower pots outside another house (also elderly inhabitant, possibly Tory activist IIRC).
    You're like a Viz character all by yourself

A Scot Nat of a certain age fastidiously snooping around his neighbourhood looking for Union Jacks to disapprove of.

Mrs McBrady, Old Nat Lady
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,021
    RIGHT, I am going to Georgia's Finest Shopping Mall, Later
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

A Scot Nat of a certain age fastidiously snooping around his neighbourhood looking for Union Jacks to disapprove of.

It's actually so unusual to see them at all here - any flag except the odd Uke one or a (probably) football club I can't identify - that they imposed themselves on my attention as they fluttered in the wind. The whole point of putting them out was to attract attention, after all.
  • Options

@AnasSarwar has a higher net positive satisfaction rating than *any* other Scottish party leader

https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/1531968149423370241

Yes, Sturgeon's positives are higher, but so are her negatives…

Good figures for him.

Although there is actually quite a big difference between the question for Sturgeon and for other leaders, in that for her it's how she's performing as First Minister, whereas for them it's as leader of their respective parties.

I suspect she'd do better if the question was how she's performing as leader of the SNP (rather than as FM), as it's hard to deny she's been a very successful party leader, even if you strongly disagree with her actions as FM.
  • Options

Given that it's a Ukrainian MP in the middle of a war, I'd say it's the closest you're gonna get.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

@AnasSarwar has a higher net positive satisfaction rating than *any* other Scottish party leader

Good figures for him.

Although there is actually quite a big difference between the question for Sturgeon and for other leaders, in that for her it's how she's performing as First Minister, whereas for them it's as leader of their respective parties.

I suspect she'd do better if the question was how she's performing as leader of the SNP (rather than as FM), as it's hard to deny she's been a very successful party leader, even if you strongly disagree with her actions as FM.
    Interesting issue how much approval is coming from Unionists of other parties, as he is the latest last great hope of Unionism after Mr Ross did his double kamikaze dive*. But also a very high don't know, which is odd as he has been around as deputy for a long time before he ascended the throne.

*Edit: but also Mr S is somewhat on the right of the party, unlike Mr Leonard the trade unionist.
  • Options
    Quite a lot of bunting round me. Commonwealth flags for me. Lots planned for the next 4 days, and first Jubilee buffet at work today. It should be a fun few days for it and weather looks good too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

If there were to be an Scottish Viz, who would be the Fat SLabs?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Interesting in this is the appearance of very old equipment for Russia. T-64s and BMP-1s were introduced in 1966. Over 13K and 20K of each have been produced but how many of them can actually be made servicable?

#UkraineWar: Newly added Russian equipment losses:

1x T-80BVM MBT (captured)
    1x T-64BV MBT (destroyed)
    3x Unknown tank (destroyed)
    3x BMP-1 IFV (destroyed)

Full list: https://t.co/ls08qQC18r

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1531980719634976772
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    edited June 2022
    I can't help but wonder if, while the shopping trolley careers around trying to garner popularity with his own MPs and with the public, the wheels are coming off because the basic functions of government are falling apart. It's not just the big things like the COL; it's the little things as well. Whether it be renewing your passport, getting a driving test, or going on holiday, everything seems a bit crap. Covid to blame? Yes, partly of course. But you can bet that other PMs, for example Blair, would have got on top of these delays much, much quicker (without just blaming the Civil Service).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

'Why should we believe anything you say when it is proven you're a habitual liar?'

Boris Johnson:

Well first of all I don't agree with the conclusion... people throw all sorts of accusations at me about all sorts of things'

Pedantry question: Should that not be *an* habitual liar?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,432
    eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I know and deal with a lot of solicitors. Some are really bright, focused, informed and capable. Others less so in various ways. But I genuinely cannot recall meeting or dealing with someone quite like Raab. There is an excellent Scottish word to describe him: glaikit. The fact that someone like him can make DPM really says all that needs to be said about this government.

No particular reason why you should remember my posts but I have been increasingly disenchanted for quite a while. I support the union. If that means I vote tactically for the Tories in what would be my new seat after the boundary changes so be it. If they didn't get through for some reason I would vote Labour. But I don't support the government's policies which are stupid, bordering on self harm.

The windfall tax by any other name smelling as foul was just stupid. The response of the oil majors that they are going to reconsider investment in the UK predictable and harmful.
    I am really not up for more culture wedge issues. I would want to seek consensus not rows.
    The money available to Sunak should have been focused on those in receipt of UC, not spread thin to a lot of people (like me) who didn't need it.
    Education policy in England seems almost as stupid and damaging as that in Scotland, and it is hard to find a worse insult than that.
    Most fundamentally there is a complete lack of purpose, other than survival. Ridiculous short termism and gestures like that Rwanda nonsense, its pathetic. We have no clear economic policy and no thought as to what is going to make this a better country for those of us lucky enough to live in it. SKS is boring, dull and also lacks that vision thing but could he really be any worse?
    Pretty fair comment.

I think the one "policy" that BJ has going for him is Levelling Up. Whoever succeeds him needs to double-down on that in order to get some momentum and, in doing so, contrast themselves with Sir Keir who seems totally without the means of motion. Otherwise its just short-term fire-fighting and inevitable defeat.
    Would love to know what levelling up can be achieved in a visible way before the next election.. Time is running incredibly short...
    Well, you can go some way with announcements, and donning a hard-hat at development sites. The electoral success of Mayor Ben Houchen in Teesside, of all places, has been a wonder to behold (see below). There are lessons to be learnt.

2021 Tees Valley Combined Authority Mayor
    Party Candidate Votes % ±%
    Conservative Ben Houchen 121,964 72.8 Increase 33.3
    Labour Jessie Joe Jacobs 45,641 27.2 Decrease 11.8
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,514

Nadine Dorries was interviewed at some length on the radio this lunchtime. I strongly believe that she is underused, and that the Tories should give her an even higher profile.

It would help Labour's chances no end.

Yes. The Tory trick was to be holding on to core Tories by decency and competence and extending the base by a one nation Toryism of levelling up and appealing across boundaries etc. Simultaneously intelligent, popular and populist. It is not easy to see how ND fits into that picture, rather as Corbyn, Pidcock, Burgon on Lab's front bench etc would not be the best ambassadors for what SKS is trying to achieve.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson:

Only if you drop the H. Or if when you go on holiday you stay in an hotel.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Ir would certainly make something of Mr Rennie's unfortunate photo ops with farmyard animals.
  • Options

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Not what the BBC is saying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61652467
    That’s exactly what it's saying. It is politely saying 'handling of alleged rape cases'. The inference couldn't be clearer and the leaving out of the substantive issue is totally unsurprising.
    You parroting the Russian propaganda line is even less surprising, tbf.
    It's a Russian propaganda line that Ukraine has sacked its Human Rights ombudsman and Ukranian MP's have cited her spreading stories about rape that couldn't be substantiated as one of the reasons? Fuck off.
    Alexander Alimov
    @A__Alimov

Russia government official
    · 17h
    The Ukrainian Parliament votes to dismiss its Commissioner for Human Rights Lyudmila Denisova

Among the reasons:

🔹 failure to set up humanitarian routes and POW exchanges

🔹 spreading fakes on “raped women and children” she couldn’t prove

🔹 spending too much time abroad

https://twitter.com/A__Alimov/status/1531717231440187397
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,326
    AlistairM said:

Interesting in this is the appearance of very old equipment for Russia. T-64s and BMP-1s were introduced in 1966. Over 13K and 20K of each have been produced but how many of them can actually be made servicable?

3x BMP-1 IFV (destroyed)

We are waiting for the first confirmed T-62....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Good figures for him.

Interesting issue how much approval is coming from Unionists of other parties, as he is the latest last great hope of Unionism after Mr Ross did his double kamikaze dive*. But also a very high don't know, which is odd as he has been around as deputy for a long time before he ascended the throne.

*Edit: but also Mr S is somewhat on the right of the party, unlike Mr Leonard the trade unionist.
    I wonder if Labour could do something similar to the Scots Tories in 2017?

A rather dour but respected UK Party leader, with a more charismatic Scottish leader leading the charge north of the border.

Probably also worth saying that Scot Tories will substantially gain from toppling of Boris. It's hard to conceive of anyone better designed to offend Scottish sensibilities (JRM apart, of course).
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,514

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson:

Certainly, especially for those who wonder if there is anything worth backing at an horse race this afternoon.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson:

Only if you drop the H. Or if when you go on holiday you stay in an hotel.
    Has anyone asked Priti for her view?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Ir would certainly make something of Mr Rennie's unfortunate photo ops with farmyard animals.
    No shortage of PB candidates for Finbarr Saunders, or Mr Logic. One or two for Sid the Sexist...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,882
    Another Cumbrian MP openly unhappy about the findings of the Sue Gray report - after John Stevenson confirmed he submitted a letter of no confidence in the PM.

Barrow was a big red wall gain for the Conservatives in 2019:
    https://twitter.com/tomlarkinsky/status/1531981296850939908
  • Options

Another day, another football club bought by the Americans....

American investment group RedBird Capital have reached an agreement to buy AC Milan from Elliott Advisors.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61660438

Better an American investment group than Elliott 😂
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

Good figures for him.

A rather dour but respected UK Party leader, with a more charismatic Scottish leader leading the charge north of the border.

Probably also worth saying that Scot Tories will substantially gain from toppling of Boris. It's hard to conceive of anyone better designed to offend Scottish sensibilities (JRM apart, of course).
    I'm not sure I would call Mr Sarwar charismatic!

On point two -[edit] Mr J offended even hardline unionists/tories ("What's that clown doing as PM?" as one complained to me), in a way I myself can't quite make sense of. But, in any case, the damage is done.

In any case Scotland voted pretty convincingly *against* Brexit, so any heir of Mr Johnson acceptable to the ERG will still carry that curse of Cain unto the ninth generation. Remember that Northern Ireland is - at present - benefiting from a solution which would also have been very acceptable to Scotland: forgetting the other reasons, the basic fact is that part of the UK which voted for the EU was left within the EU, and Scotland was not. That will not be forgiven.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pretty fair comment.

Well, you can go some way with announcements, and donning a hard-hat at development sites. The electoral success of Mayor Ben Houchen in Teesside, of all places, has been a wonder to behold (see below). There are lessons to be learnt.

2021 Tees Valley Combined Authority Mayor
    Party Candidate Votes % ±%
    Conservative Ben Houchen 121,964 72.8 Increase 33.3
    Labour Jessie Joe Jacobs 45,641 27.2 Decrease 11.8
    Helped massively that Jessie Jessie Jessie Jessie Jessie Jessie Joe Jacobs was such an appalling candidate. Houchen's problem now is that having toured the pliant press round a string of jam factories he can't put off jam until tomorrow for much longer.
  • Options

I was intrigued that - given all the various well known sources publishing on this - you chose to rely on zero hedge, a known Russian funded disinformation source

1. Insensitive handling of reporting with traumatic details (especially involving children) being included in public commentary. This was what upset the media

https://www.newsweek.com/lyudmila-denisova-ukraine-commissioner-human-rights-removed-russian-sexual-assault-claims-1711680?amp=1
    I did not 'choose to rely on Zerohedge', I dip into Zerohedge every now and again as a source of alternative news, as I used to with RT until that option was closed to us. I saw this story and immediately thought it would be of interest to the PB commentariat. Given that I am frequently attacked for daring to question the veracity of Ukraine's war crime allegations, which apparently we are supposed to treat as faultless fact, and given that I was attacked this week as an enabler of rape amongst other things, it's certainly of interest to me.

As for your numbered statements, no, that is not what this story is about. There are not 'unverified details' in her statements, there are unverifiable rapes. Your construction is specious, because you are indicating that these rapes definitely did take place, but minor bits and bobs wouldn't stand up in a court of law. That sort of thing is not what is being talked about and would never have lead to these events.
    “Unverifiable details” is a quote from Newsweek.

It’s fine and good looking for different points of view. But you are wading in a sewer. There’s a very good reason why such a close eye is kept on zero hedge
  • Options
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

No shortage of PB candidates for Finbarr Saunders, or Mr Logic. One or two for Sid the Sexist...
    Or that middle aged male chap on the internet, I forget his name.
  • Options

My reading of the runes is that 54 letters are already in, and Graham Brady will make the announcement on Monday, once the Jubilee Weekend is over.

Getting to the 180 needed to dislodge the 'greased piglet' is another matter, for the reasons implicit in the previous thread: it's by no means clear who the alternative would be.

It may be wishful thinking, but once again I agree with Nick, oh sorry @StillWaters . Boris Johnson has never been liked by Tory MPs with the exception of Nadine Dorries and JRM (both know no-one else would be stupid enough to hav ethem in the cabinet). They only reason they supported him previously was because they stupidly fell for the "Boris is popular" crap. Well so is Benny Hill, but I wouldn't make him PM (though HYUFD probably would if it "won the Red Wall"!
    They supported him because he promised to break the Brexit logjam. Which he did. This is not a comment on whether he did it well or not. Hunt did not have a solution to the bind that we were in.

That’s why the 64/36 stat that @HYUFD likes to quote is misleading
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Rees Mogg bears a striking resemblance to Victorian Dad.
  • Options

It’s fine and good looking for different points of view. But you are wading in a sewer. There’s a very good reason why such a close eye is kept on zero hedge
    Zero Hedge is less reliable than Guido. It is probably less reliable than *Piers* Corbyn as a news source.
  • Options

Given that it's a Ukrainian MP in the middle of a war, I'd say it's the closest you're gonna get.
    No. Hearsay, allegations etc.

“The man laughed while he did it” is unverifiable. But not necessarily a lie.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500
    AlistairM said:

3x BMP-1 IFV (destroyed)

The T-64BV was originally introduced in 1985.
    Ukraine has a lot of them, many modernised in the last five years.

There's a lot older stuff than that reported destroyed.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

AlistairM said:

3x BMP-1 IFV (destroyed)

They produced over 22K of those too. There is no way they could maintain them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500
    Won't be long before S Korea's defence industry is more capable than ours.
    (In a few respects, it already is.)

https://twitter.com/navalnewscom/status/1531980877294616577
    U.S. President Joe Biden and South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol announced that the two countries will cooperate on developing a small modular nuclear reactor (SMR) which could pave the way to K-SSN submarines
  • Options
    Yes, let's not forget the real victims here https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1531970493087203328
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Good figures for him.

I'm not sure I would call Mr Sarwar charismatic!

On point two -[edit] Mr J offended even hardline unionists/tories ("What's that clown doing as PM?" as one complained to me), in a way I myself can't quite make sense of. But, in any case, the damage is done.

In any case Scotland voted pretty convincingly *against* Brexit, so any heir of Mr Johnson acceptable to the ERG will still carry that curse of Cain unto the ninth generation. Remember that Northern Ireland is - at present - benefiting from a solution which would also have been very acceptable to Scotland: forgetting the other reasons, the basic fact is that part of the UK which voted for the EU was left within the EU, and Scotland was not. That will not be forgiven.
    I think you have a point on EU but we have seen several developments (Brexit, Covid) that looked, at the time, as game-changers for Indy, only for the numbers to relapse back to even-stevens with a slight advantage to No. I wonder how much the Yes numbers are sustained by the Nicola/Boris contrast. A lot, a little? No doubt, we will find out in due course.

I'm not sure about the Curse of Cain. Will surely only apply to a minority who are baked-in Yes. I think rest of the country would prefer to move on, and getting rid of BJ is part of that process.

• Options

If the details of the non-verification of the alleged mass rapes, rapes of children and even of infants appeared with the same breathless volume and frequency as the original allegations, no wading would be necessary. I am fully aware of Zerohedge's schtick, and I would never take more than an occasional scan or I would find it deeply depressing. However, here it has done me (and us) a service, as this would otherwise have gone unnoticed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I can't help but wonder if, while the shopping trolley careers around trying to garner popularity with his own MPs and with the public, the wheels are coming off because the basic functions of government are falling apart. It's not just the big things like the COL; it's the little things as well. Whether it be renewing your passport, getting a driving test, or going on holiday, everything seems a bit crap. Covid to blame? Yes, partly of course. But you can bet that other PMs, for example Blair, would have got on top of these delays much, much quicker (without just blaming the Civil Service).

I don't think these are unique to the UK. You can read similar stories about passport delays in many other countries, for example.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,516
    Carnyx said:

Is that for the Yorkshire Patriotic Party? Looks like Yorkshire pud oven dish to me ...
    Yeah I thought that! Could well be...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

A few Buster Gonads talking unfeasibly large testicles.
  • Options
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-may-ditch-pledge-to-sign-treaty-opposing-nuclear-weapons-to-join-nato-after-independence-mp-comments-suggest-3716350

Interesting.

I knew a few folk in my place of work who voted Indy in 2014 specifically because of the pledge to expel Trident and ban nuclear weapons from Scottish soil.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,547

Boris clearly was popular on 12th December 2019.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

I model myself on the Modern Parents, seasoned by a dash of the Art Critics...
  • Options
    Any bets on the swing at Wakefield?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited June 2022
    When did we all become infants?

As was briefly discussed, I don't remember a rise in inflation automatically meaning the government must do something about it by shovelling money at the voters. It might be good politics, but there's now an assumption it's the voters' right not to be inconvenienced

When were the holiday companies taken into public ownership? They used to be private companies as were the airlines. Now the government is responsible for hiring and firing.

I went to Denmark a few weeks ago, and Manchester airport was chaos. What passes for management then said it wouldn't be solved in a few weeks, it would take months. It obviously would.

Is it nostalgia on my part? When adults were adults, and six-year-olds were treated as children. What bigots we once were. No wonder everyone has mental health issues. So many rights and no one ever grows up.

• Options

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-may-ditch-pledge-to-sign-treaty-opposing-nuclear-weapons-to-join-nato-after-independence-mp-comments-suggest-3716350

Interesting.

I knew a few folk in my place of work who voted Indy in 2014 specifically because of the pledge to expel Trident and ban nuclear weapons from Scottish soil.

I don't see much electoral gain there for the SNP. I don't think they've got that many voters to gain by increasing their 'serious' credentials in this way, but they do have a lot of voters on the fringes of their coalition who could splinter off to parties keeping the anti nuclear stance.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    Leon said:

RIGHT, I am going to Georgia's Finest Shopping Mall, Later

Given your penchant for lost settlements , did you visit Uplistsikhe?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,547
    CD13 said:

As was briefly discussed, I don't remember a rise in inflation automatically meaning the government must do something about it by shovelling money at the voters. It might be good politics, but there's now an assumption it's the voters' right not to be inconvenienced

When were the holiday companies taken into public ownership? They used to be private companies as were the airlines. Now the government is responsible for hiring and firing.

I went to Denmark a few weeks ago, and Manchester airport was chaos. What passes for management then said it wouldn't be solved in a few weeks, it would take months. It obviously would.

Is it nostalgia on my part? When adults were adults, and six-year-olds were treated as children. What bigots we once were. No wonder everyone has mental health issues. So many rights and no one ever grows up.

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,589
    CD13 said:

Is it nostalgia on my part? When adults were adults, and six-year-olds were treated as children. What bigots we once were. No wonder everyone has mental health issues. So many rights and no one ever grows up

When I was a kid, the airports and British Airways were in public ownership. And when inflation went very high, it was absolutely expected the government of the day should do something about it. Thatcher’s first big win in 1979 came on a promise to tackle inflation.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

AlistairM said:

3x BMP-1 IFV (destroyed)

They produced over 22K of those too. There is no way they could maintain them.
    Mostly it was about employment - they produced X tanks a year, rain or shine. Just kept piling them up. The old ones were often not scrapped just parked in vast open air yards. Where they rotted.

After the Fall of the Wall etc, there was actually some rationalisation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

The Modern Parents are role models for us all!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

OK Boomer. 😉
  • Options
    Mr Bondegezou,

Indeed, I remember the airports being taken into public ownership, and Maggie tackling inflation by clamping down on the unions. Ssh ... don't tell BoJo.

Sometimes, I feel old. I'm seventy two, but I've still got my own teeth. That's because we once had NHS dentists.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

CD13 said:

Is it nostalgia on my part? When adults were adults, and six-year-olds were treated as children. What bigots we once were. No wonder everyone has mental health issues. So many rights and no one ever grows up

When I was a kid, the airports and British Airways were in public ownership. And when inflation went very high, it was absolutely expected the government of the day should do something about it. Thatcher’s first big win in 1979 came on a promise to tackle inflation.
    And since Thatcher's day, the government has absolved itself from responsibility for inflation itself. And the grown-ups at the Bank of England have acted like six year olds since 2008.
  • Options
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

The whole of the cabinet's time is consumed by trying to save Big Dog. Virtually every one of them knows they will be back on the backbenches the moment a new leader comes on board. I mean seriously who else would have Dorries and Mogg in their cabinet?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited June 2022
    Was perusing the Daily Mail in the caff.
    Their line is ditching Boris hands No.10 to Labour.
    That's not a popular view on here. But.
    What if the only thing keeping Tory support up is the lovable cheeky chappy?
    After all, the country appears to be failing to perform some of the very basics of government.
    It's the @HYUFD view. Is it widespread on Tory benches?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Bondegezou,

Indeed, I remember the airports being taken into public ownership, and Maggie tackling inflation by clamping down on the unions. Ssh ... don't tell BoJo.

Sometimes, I feel old. I'm seventy two, but I've still got my own teeth. That's because we once had NHS dentists.

So, things were broadly the same then as now (except in the provision of good dentistry). Why then ask when did we all become infants? We were just as grown-up or infantile back then: we still expected Government to solve the same problems.
  • Options
    Mr Bondegezou,

Don't get a Boomer going. Some things are better and some things are worse. Progress can be a double-edged sword.

You're lucky I'm not from Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Boris clearly was popular on 12th December 2019.
    I think you missed my point. He might have been popular, but they all knew he was shit at actually doing the job. You can't do the job if you can't win an election, but it is a fecking disaster if you are good at winning elections but turn out to be shit at the job. As I have said before, it is like being good at interview and then subsequently a disaster. No-one would say, yes but we should keep him/her because look how good they are at interviews!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

CD13 said:

Mr Bondegezou,

So, things were broadly the same then as now (except in the provision of good dentistry). Why then ask when did we all become infants? We were just as grown-up or infantile back then: we still expected Government to solve the same problems.
    Do you honestly believe any of our politicians are grown-up enough to tackle inflation?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    CD13 said:

Great post, its sad how people expect the Government to resolve everything for them
    There have been calls on here today for the Government to "sort out"the issues at the airports this week which have been casued by the travel companies and airlines.
    I wonder what they think the government can do.
  • Options
    Lots of speculation among insiders, MPs etc today that a 54 letter announcement will come Monday and vote on Wednesday. On that note, enjoy your long weekend everyone
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1531999583756333056
  • Options
    🔺 JUST IN: Boris Johnson has said that he was justified in attending leaving parties because it was important to “keep morale high” https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-downing-street-lockdown-parties-were-needed-to-keep-up-morale-hlxz0nb6m?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654091572
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Raab won’t survive a Boris ouster.
    Neither will his pet project, the Bill of Rights bullshit.

One of a myriad of polices that nobody is asking for and has nothing to do with the issues facing the country.
  • Options
    That Top 10 list of Brexit wins is laughable.
    None of them amount to a hill of beans, with the possible exception of GM licensing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Did you name your son Tarquin?
  • Options

CD13 said:

Great post, its sad how people expect the Government to resolve everything for them
    There have been calls on here today for the Government to "sort out"the issues at the airports this week which have been casued by the travel companies and airlines.
    Re-establish FOM?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,776
    Scott_xP said:

🔺 JUST IN: Boris Johnson has said that he was justified in attending leaving parties because it was important to “keep morale high” https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-downing-street-lockdown-parties-were-needed-to-keep-up-morale-hlxz0nb6m?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654091572

Astonishing thing to say by the clown . How about people who couldn’t attend funerals or visit family in hospital ?

Really he just doesn’t get it .
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bondegezou,

Do you honestly believe any of our politicians are grown-up enough to tackle inflation?
    Yes. The current Government under Boris was always terrible and is now so consumed with self-preservation that they've got terribler. But I don't hold with this doom & gloom, everything-was-better-in-my-day rhetoric.* There are competent politicians in Labour, the LibDems and the Conservatives... and there are incompetent ones too. As was true 50 years ago.

* Unless we're talking about the US.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    It's possible that Dominic Raab is right but generally he is a clown. An out-and-out lightweight.

He's in big danger of losing both his cabinet seat and his parliamentary seat.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is he emotionally retarded? There were masses of businesses and organisations up and down the country that might have liked a knees-up "to keep up moral". Every time I think my opinion of that idiot could not sink any lower he says something to prove that hypothesis wrong!
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    dixiedean said:

They still believe that ditching Thatcher was wrong, so that's where they are coming from on this.

The Daily Mail is, in every way, stuck in the past.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Re-establish FOM?
    It would be interesting to know the numbers of EU nationals that worked at airports pre-2016 compared to now. Surely someone could check this?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135
    Foxy said:

Quite a lot of bunting round me. Commonwealth flags for me. Lots planned for the next 4 days, and first Jubilee buffet at work today. It should be a fun few days for it and weather looks good too.

In bunting news. Not much going on here in South Wales, but I was in Hereford yesterday, and any opportunity lending itself to festooning one's property with Union and St. Georges flags had been taken with gusto.

I am minded that the ownership of flags of St George in the Marches is quite possibly a reaction to the Welsh more so than to the forrin.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Everybody has a price it seems.....

Dustin Johnson was paid around £100 million in a last-ditch swoop by Greg Norman to complete a shock about-turn and lure him to the Saudi-backed rebel golf league, Telegraph Sport understands.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It's possible that Dominic Raab is right but generally he is a clown. An out-and-out lightweight.

He's in big danger of losing both his cabinet seat and his parliamentary seat.

Indeed he could be, but he is an idiot because he really has no idea, which should be his political epitaph.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,257
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

After all, the country appears to be failing to perform some of the very basics of government.

Wasn't that broadly the argument with Thatcher in 1990? And that was with greater justification in that she had 11 years as PM, had a strong record on a wide range of major policy issues (highly controversial, of course, but substantial and with a lot of support), and had seen off Callaghan, Foot, the SDP, and Kinnock (well, 1987 version - he remained leader).

But a change to a very different type of PM probably did buy them an extra term in office (albeit maybe they lived to regret that). I know diehard Thatcherites feel she could still have won in 1992, but she wasn't backing down on the Poll Tax and frankly had lost the magic - I can't prove they are wrong, but they probably are.

In this case, you say "lovable cheeky chappy" but you're really not looking at 2022 Johnson. The joke has grown very stale, and the love has gone away (although I won't speculate about who it's now shacked up with).

It's a perfectly tenable position that a new leader could stop the rot as in 1990, or at least limit the damage. A narrow defeat in 2024 arguably isn't a terrible result for the Tories - Labour muddle through with an unstable coalition/minority, Tories regroup etc. I think the risk of a rather bad defeat under Johnson is understated, and it's tougher for the Tories if an incoming Government is in quite a strong position.
  • Options
    There’s also concerns among some in the pro-Boris camp that multiple ministers would snake the PM in the private ballot, should it happen, which is looking very likely 🐍
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1532001830158442496
  • Options

CD13 said:

Re-establish FOM?
    It would be interesting to know the numbers of EU nationals that worked at airports pre-2016 compared to now. Surely someone could check this?
    Dunno.

But I did see that of the ?600,000 reduction in the workforce post Covid, 50% is said to be attributed to EUers leaving.

Indeed, the utter collapse of EU migration is the pretty much the only Brexit “win”. It’s an astonishing turnaround.
  • Options

CD13 said:

What is Government for if not to solve big, structural problems?

I don't expect the Government to resolve the wiring problem in my hall. I don't expect the Government to resolve the problem I'm having making a graph look pretty in Excel. I don't expect the Government to resolve the problem with my second cousin not paying her debt to my late mother.

But I do expect the Government to steer the economy, to the extent that it can, which includes acting to prevent wide-scale failures in a particular sector.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,167
    dixiedean said:

Johnson won the largest Tory majority for 32 years and six other leaders of the party. It's understandable that they would be reluctant to let go of the hope that he can repeat the performance.

But there's a reason Nicola Sturgeon is still all over SNP election leaflets, but Boris Johnson was missing from recent Tory election leaflets. One of them is an asset to their party's electoral prospects and the other a millstone.

That's not to say that the Tories can't contrive to choose someone worse as a successor. Several of the contenders would likely be epic disasters. But, "not the worst option we could have," is not a great endorsement.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Scott_xP said:

Is he emotionally retarded? There were masses of businesses and organisations up and down the country that might have liked a knees-up "to keep up moral". Every time I think my opinion of that idiot could not sink any lower he says something to prove that hypothesis wrong!
    In my view generally 'keeping up morale' does not count as "reasonable excuse".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

CD13 said:

A start would have been to explain to the thickos in this country that Brexit had lots more downsides than upsides and cooperation works better than conflict
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Scott_xP said:

Most of us kept up moral by doing this virtually by having zoom parties....he is just making it worse for himself.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, the government has done nothing about inflation.

Supply side reform? No.
    Emergency measures to incentivise energy production? No.

Instead, it’s provided a poorly targeted bung, (which is inflationary), lost investor confidence in the pound (which is inflationary) exacerbated the supply shock with self-defeating immigration measures (which is inflationary), and appointed a waster to the BoE (which doesn’t help either).
This discussion has been closed.