Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rishi/BoJo U-Turn on a windfall tax – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2022 in General
Rishi/BoJo U-Turn on a windfall tax – politicalbetting.com

the Lib Dems are quite punchy these days pic.twitter.com/ox0FcOywin

Read the full story here

Comments

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Second?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116
    edited May 2022
    If the Tories will U-turn on, in their view, such a basic matter of fiscal probity* at a time of high inflation, what else will they jettison to save their Party Leader?

*Reference: Conservative Chancellors and anti-Labour propagandists passim for the last century.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,081
    CD13 said:

Second?

You were first to post second, which is a first.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Tricky to hand big oil and gas a few billion quid in a future budget.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    FPT:

So is the mechanics of this that people will get £400 credit on their energy accounts?
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

FPT:

So is the mechanics of this that people will get £400 credit on their energy accounts?

Or maybe you have to apply for the credit....?? a la Gordon Brown.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

FPT:

So, I only have electric - no gas. Does it all go on my electric or will they assume I have gas too and bilk me of £200? Or give me a heating oil voucher?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,081
    Pulpstar said:

FPT:

I want it in twenties in a brown envelope through the door.
    "Reach under the bench in the south west corner of Russell Square Gardens, and you will find your rebate."
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Is someone who only just gets Universal Credit - say they get £5 per week - going to get a full £650?
    IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

So, I only have electric - no gas. Does it all go on my electric or will they assume I have gas too and bilk me of £200? Or give me a heating oil voucher?
    A Screwfix token to buy an axe?
    CD13 said:

Second?

Underpromising, overdelivering.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    There's some ragin' Nats out there:

Let’s be clear about what has just happened in Edinburgh:

Labour has seized control of the council with 13 of 63 councillors.

Only 11 of their own councillors voted in favour of this + 12 Lib Dems.

Why could this happen anyway?
    Because Labour chose to give positions to Tories.

https://twitter.com/TanjaBueltmann/status/1529787678635528195

Because working with the Toreeees is always evil - except when the SNP do it.....
    Interesting from Biden

"The Second Amendment is “not absolute”, Joe Biden said on Wednesday as he called for new restrictions on gun ownership in the wake of a school shooting that killed 21 people.

The US president warned that “enough is enough” and he will move to stop the gun “carnage” happening across the United States.

“When in God's name will we do what needs to be done to, if not completely stop, fundamentally change the amount of the carnage that goes on in this country?” he asked.

Mr Biden said that when the Second Amendment was made, people “couldn’t own a cannon” or other “certain kinds of weapons”.

“There’s just always been limitations,” he added. "
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    edited May 2022

Because working with the Toreeees is always evil - except when the SNP do it.....

Mr Sarwar stated before the election that Labour would not do joint local government with Tories. Weasel wording, IIRC 'coalition' or similar. But the impression ...

And you can't even be sure it's 'Nats' who are complaining. Could be Greens, or LDs, or SSP, or Labour ...
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Jeez.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1529671100157894657
    According to officials:
    - the shooter went in a classroom and locked the door
    - police on scene left him in there
    - when border patrol showed up they couldn’t break down the door
    - after 40-60m they got a member of the school staff to unlock it with a key https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Reddit is seething about this. Apparently some of the cops ran in, grabbed their own kids, and ran off. There is also an awful video of some parents getting together to rush the guy and the police stop them.

They claimed they successfully "contained" the suspect in a classroom. Well yeah - he then proceeded to shoot everyone in the room while they waited outside. DNA tests being done on the kids because the damage was so extensive.

American police are very quick to shoot you if you're a defenceless black man. Ongoing mass murder? Nah, health and safety checklist first.
    There was a shooting in the UK a few years back, IIRC, in a tiny village/hamlet. The police stopped the ambulance/first aiders entering while people bled to to death, because the area wasn't "secure". Anyone remember the incident?
    I'm pretty sure that was the Manchester bombing?

That's why I think there should be some sort of special paramedic team - former Army medics who are trained up and happy to dive straight in and grab people in an ongoing attack.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    CD13 said:

Second?

Rishinomics.
    Stocky said:

Is someone who only just gets Universal Credit - say they get £5 per week - going to get a full £650?

Great spot - will be people refusing work as a result. Same thing with other benefits on the same mechanism like Scottish Child Payment.
    edited May 2022

I'm not a Green/SNP ultra but this is a complete disaster for those of us who engage in the extreme sport "cycling about in Edinburgh".

The Tories are rabidly pro-driver here. It's honestly impossible to find a reason to vote for the neanderthals either on a national or local basis - everything is a culture war. I think they associate bikes with wokeists.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Claudia Webbe has lost her appeal.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,597
    Scott_xP said:

The "anti-Leon" law.....

First they came for the flint-knappers...
    Then they came for the travel writers....
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2022
    Rishi/Boris missed a trick, here. They really should have taken the opportunity of combining this big bung with ditching the ofgem price cap.

I suggested this many months ago, before the energy suppliers started going bust.

Ditch the stupid, nonsensical cap - and protect the vulnerable via the benefits system.

This was their opportunity.
    IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

"The Second Amendment is “not absolute”, Joe Biden said on Wednesday as he called for new restrictions on gun ownership in the wake of a school shooting that killed 21 people.

The US president warned that “enough is enough” and he will move to stop the gun “carnage” happening across the United States.

“When in God's name will we do what needs to be done to, if not completely stop, fundamentally change the amount of the carnage that goes on in this country?” he asked.

Mr Biden said that when the Second Amendment was made, people “couldn’t own a cannon” or other “certain kinds of weapons”.

Of course it’s not absolute, even with the current sociopaths and zealots on the bench.

Congress could repeal the act which (uniquely) absolves gun manufacturers of liability for their products, tomorrow.
    Note how quickly it passed a law to prevent demonstrations outside the homes of Supreme Court Justices…

It could make insurance for gun owners mandatory … etc.

It won’t.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    The LibDems might as well have a poster of a shot fox....

Not that I am a fan of the windfall tax - but what else have Labour and the LibDems got in their tool box to fight with?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Seems the BBC have found the perfect test case for their licence fee battle

Ricky Boleto
    @rickyboleto
    ::::BREAKING::::
    📺The CBBC TV Channel, which launched in 2002 is expected to close.

🗓No exact date, 2025 at the earliest.

🗣Director General, Tim Davie made the announcement to staff today.

📈He says younger audiences are streaming: Netflix, Disney Plus etc.

Carnyx said:

And you can't even be sure it's 'Nats' who are complaining. Could be Greens, or LDs, or SSP, or Labour ...
    Since the LDs and (most of) Labour voted for it it’s unlikely to be them - can’t do any harm holding central Scottish government to account can it, rather than meekly accepting the swingeing cuts Holyrood has imposed on Scottish councils?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Scott_xP said:

The "anti-Leon" law.....

First they came for the flint-knappers...
    Then they came for the travel writers....
    Only another 5 russian dolls to get before they touch the real SeanT...
    edited May 2022
    As for the next round of Potemkin laws that will be passed in Republican states…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-security-plan-rcna30568
    … Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District had doubled its security budget in recent years, according to public documents, in part to comply with state legislation passed in the wake of a 2018 school shooting in which eight students and two teachers were killed. The district adopted an array of security measures that included its own police force, threat assessment teams at each school, a threat reporting system, social media monitoring software, fences around schools and a requirement that teachers lock their classroom doors, according to the security plan posted on the district’s website.

It happened anyway.…

The locks on classroom doors is particularly and horribly ironic.
    edited May 2022
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Jeez.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1529671100157894657
    According to officials:
    - the shooter went in a classroom and locked the door
    - police on scene left him in there
    - when border patrol showed up they couldn’t break down the door
    - after 40-60m they got a member of the school staff to unlock it with a key https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Reddit is seething about this. Apparently some of the cops ran in, grabbed their own kids, and ran off. There is also an awful video of some parents getting together to rush the guy and the police stop them.

They claimed they successfully "contained" the suspect in a classroom. Well yeah - he then proceeded to shoot everyone in the room while they waited outside. DNA tests being done on the kids because the damage was so extensive.

American police are very quick to shoot you if you're a defenceless black man. Ongoing mass murder? Nah, health and safety checklist first.
    There was a shooting in the UK a few years back, IIRC, in a tiny village/hamlet. The police stopped the ambulance/first aiders entering while people bled to to death, because the area wasn't "secure". Anyone remember the incident?
    I'm pretty sure that was the Manchester bombing?

That's why I think there should be some sort of special paramedic team - former Army medics who are trained up and happy to dive straight in and grab people in an ongoing attack.
    It was before that - I think it occurred as part of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings
    👀Labour has bought up all the advertising on the Conservative Home website - the Tory members’ online bible - over the next few days and this is what readers will see… https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529819497032347648/photo/1

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    tlg86 said:

to be consistent that should be Labour's Claudia Webbe.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Nigelb said:

As for the next round of Potemkin laws that will be passed in Republican states…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-security-plan-rcna30568
    … Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District had doubled its security budget in recent years, according to public documents, in part to comply with state legislation passed in the wake of a 2018 school shooting in which eight students and two teachers were killed. The district adopted an array of security measures that included its own police force, threat assessment teams at each school, a threat reporting system, social media monitoring software, fences around schools and a requirement that teachers lock their classroom doors, according to the security plan posted on the district’s website.

It happened anyway.…

What a lovely environment for a primary school...
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Of course it’s not absolute, even with the current sociopaths and zealots on the bench.

Congress could repeal the act which (uniquely) absolves gun manufacturers of liability for their products, tomorrow.
    Note how quickly it passed a law to prevent demonstrations outside the homes of Supreme Court Justices…

It won’t.
    I wonder if issues like Roe vs Wade and gun control might energise the dem base in November. They sure need it.
    edited May 2022
    FPT I'm fuming at the £400 thing.

I live in a tiny flat that is heated by my neighbours. The vast majority of my energy goes on my PS4 / PC and my gas powered power shower.

I'm currently trying to decide on what new DSLR to buy. I'm booking a holiday to the Alps and possibly Greece (hat tip @Leon). I've booked a posh restaurant for GFs birthday.

I've made hardly a dent in my pandemic savings, revaluation of my flat. I do not need £400. Give it to the minimum wage folk getting screwed by inflation.
    eek said:

Ricky Boleto
    @rickyboleto

At least Tim Davie knows they are right royally fucked.....and why.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    "They've copied our terrible policy" is an interesting campaign line.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    "temporary targeted energy profits levy"... 😂
    Maybe the Tories got some lessons in linguistics from the Russians along with all the dodgy money!
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    ping said:

Rishi/Boris missed a trick, here. They really should have taken the opportunity of combining this big bung with ditching the ofgem price cap.

I suggested this many months ago, before the energy suppliers started going bust.

Ditch the stupid, nonsensical cap - and protect the vulnerable via the benefits system.

This was their opportunity.

Some future government can do that after Johnson and Sunak lay down their fiddles.
    Nigelb said:

CD13 said:

Second?

Rishinomics.
    Coming nowhere when you could have come first?
    Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine Is the 20th Century’s Last War
    Russia’s botched invasion shows us how much war has changed, and how much it will change.
    By Phillips Payson O’Brien

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/ukraine-russia-putin-war/638423/
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,333

The LibDems might as well have a poster of a shot fox....

Not that I am a fan of the windfall tax - but what else have Labour and the LibDems got in their tool box to fight with?

The clown car at no 10? The lies and deceit? Plenty there.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited May 2022
    Eabhal said:

I live in a tiny flat that is heated by my neighbours. The vast majority of my energy goes on my PS4 / PC and my gas powered power shower.

I'm currently trying to decide on what new DSLR to buy. I'm booking a holiday to the Alps and possibly Greece (hat tip @Leon). I've booked a posh restaurant for GFs birthday.

I've made hardly a dent in my pandemic savings, revaluation of my flat. I do not need £400. Give it to the minimum wage folk getting screwed by inflation.

The trouble is you run into problems when means testing costs money. If you don't need the money, write HMRC a cheque or donate it to charity.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

“What did you do at school today darling?”

“Well mummy, once we got past the guards on the gate we put our lunchboxes in the X-ray machine. Then we had a practice of what we do when another child has a machine gun and starts shooting at us. Then we had lunch. Then we learnt about why abortion meant killing children and so is evil. Then we went on a school visit to Walmart where everyone bought a gun as a souvenir. Then when we got back to school we learnt about the dinosaurs and how man hunted them 6000 years ago. Then someone shot at us through the windows and then we came home”.

“So just a normal day then.”
    NEW: Security guards and cleaners, who work across Whitehall, are planning to protest against the government's "culture of disrespect" towards low paid workers. As referenced in Sue Gray's report. It'll happen tomorrow from 5.30pm outside the gates of Downing Street.
    https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1529808903483039746
    Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

The locks on classroom doors is particularly and horribly ironic.

The result of having internal locks on classroom doors was actually predicted, by a number of people.

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

You ain’t see nothing, yet.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1529604286266560512
    Ted Cruz: Have one door… and have that one door, armed police officers at that door. If that had happened.. when that psychopath had arrived, the armed police officers could’ve taken him out…
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

Ted Cruz: Have one door… and have that one door, armed police officers at that door. If that had happened.. when that psychopath had arrived, the armed police officers could’ve taken him out…
    Or the psychopath would have prepared and shot them first from a position of cover and then everyone else in the school would be trapped. Genius.
    Eabhal said:

Agreed.
    This is where my bung is going.
    https://www.trusselltrust.org/

Nigelb said:

CD13 said:

Second?

Rishinomics.
    Coming nowhere when you could have come first?
    1=2 , etc.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    boulay said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

Or the psychopath would have prepared and shot them first from a position of cover and then everyone else in the school would be trapped. Genius.
    Isn't that essentially what happened with the recent shooting at the grocery store? They had an armed security guard who was one of the first to be killed.

Russia’s botched invasion shows us how much war has changed, and how much it will change.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/ukraine-russia-putin-war/638423/

Not so sure about that.

When you look at tanks, what Ukraine tells us is that relatively obsolete tanks without reactive armour and no active defence systems die, if they are attacked by a hail of anti-tank weapons. Not to mention the poor tactics - not using infantry in partnership with the tanks, as has been standard practice since WWI...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    Carnyx said:

Mr Sarwar stated before the election that Labour would not do joint local government with Tories. Weasel wording, IIRC 'coalition' or similar. But the impression ...

Labour are almost as big liars and scoundrels as Tories are

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

Isn't that essentially what happened with the recent shooting at the grocery store? They had an armed security guard who was one of the first to be killed.
    It’s all costly, useless or counterproductive security theatre.
    Terrify the kids by making them do ‘shooter drills’ every week, etc.

Anything but talk about the real problem.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Not so sure about that.

When you look at tanks, what Ukraine tells us is that relatively obsolete tanks without reactive armour and no active defence systems die, if they are attacked by a hail of anti-tank weapons. Not to mention the poor tactics - not using infantry in partnership with the tanks, as has been standard practice since WWI...
    I have seen no distinction in he kills between those tanks with or without reactive armour. There have been loads of pictures of tanks with reactive armour having been wiped out by anti-tank weapons.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "As expected, Rishi has fired up the money printer once again to combat inflation. The Treasury claims it’ll cost £15 billion, with £5 billion a year supposedly coming from the newly-announced windfall tax “energy profits levy“."

https://order-order.com
    The Met Police have written back to London Mayor Sadiq Khan after he criticised their lack of transparency over partygate fine decisions. Letter to be published in next 15 mins.

And here it is…
    https://twitter.com/wizbates/status/1529823955443277826/photo/1

Not so sure about that.

I have seen no distinction in he kills between those tanks with or without reactive armour. There have been loads of pictures of tanks with reactive armour having been wiped out by anti-tank weapons.
    There have been a lot with the reactive armour boxes missing or filled with.... not reactive armour.

I think the point stands - modern tanks with modern armour + active defence (Trophy, say), with proper infantry support may well have done better.
  • eek said:

Ricky Boleto
    @rickyboleto

If that's true, well he's not wrong, is he?
    🔴EXCLUSIVE: A former acting leader of the Labour Party is set to become the chairman of the committee that will decide if Boris Johnson intentionally misled Parliament over partygate https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/26/exclusive-harriet-harman-set-lead-inquiry-claims-boris-johnson/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1653573534-2
    edited May 2022

Not so sure about that.

Admittedly the systems on the most modern western tanks are superior to the Russian kit, but the idea that they render them invulnerable to top down weapons (some of which have double charges to take out the reactive stuff) is bunk.

If there’s a future, it’s likely for lightly armoured, fast missile platforms which don’t have to get too close to the opposition. Possibly uncrewed.

Beyond Russia’s tech, though.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022
    eek said:

Ricky Boleto
    @rickyboleto

But they brought BBC Three back to life....that nobody wanted and absolutely nobody watches...chronic mismanagement as always from the BBC.

In reality, its all nonsense politic-ing. Also worth noting this is CBBC, not CBeebies (which is the one that is more valued).
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Carnyx said:

Since the LDs and (most of) Labour voted for it it’s unlikely to be them - can’t do any harm holding central Scottish government to account can it, rather than meekly accepting the swingeing cuts Holyrood has imposed on Scottish councils?
    Hard to see how the clowns can be short of cash given the council tax bills, I am paying 3K for a modest house.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Agreed.
    This is where my bung is going.
    https://www.trusselltrust.org/
    I've told my wife, and she is at our 2nd home at the moment. If we get it for the 2nd home she is giving it away (the £400 not the 2nd home). I'm guessing I might have my arm twisted to to do the same for our main home and my pensioners element.
  • The uplifting of pensions and benefits by CPI could be an increase in spending of £25bn 😲

Carnyx said:

Not their role to do that. It's MSPs' role to do that, and the SNP is a minority government, albeit recently with some limited cooperation from the SGs.

The uplifting of pensions and benefits by CPI could be an increase in spending of £25bn 😲

Rishi told us last month that the increases in taxes were because we needed to pay our way.

A month later...

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,813

The uplifting of pensions and benefits by CPI could be an increase in spending of £25bn 😲

Debt and deficit are so 2010

15bn here, 25bn there, soon it will add to up some real money !!!!
    MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

It won’t.
    I wonder if issues like Roe vs Wade and gun control might energise the dem base in November. They sure need it.
    Who knows ?
    But there’s a generation of kids and their mothers with genuine anxieties over something as basic as going to school.
    And a new generation of prospective mothers who are going to be terrified at what the state might do to them should they miscarry.

At some point the bullshit might have an effect on voting too.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Well, he’s got six months of owning Congress before the mid terms, what does he actuallly plan to do with it?
    On topic
    The standard response ought to be 'your plan was for 600 quid help, we wanted to take time to get it right and offer much more help'. The u turn bit is fluff if the help actually, well, helps
    Politically spesking of course
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Nigelb said:
    We don't give a fuck anymore. Season 2 is dull.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Was he involved in the discussions?
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Well, he’s got six months of owning Congress before the mid terms, what does he actuallly plan to do with it?
    Biden doesn’t ‘own’ Congress while Manchin and Sinema (already on record on the latest shooting as saying ‘legislation is not the answer’) refuse to nix the filibuster.

But it’s convenient to the Republicans to pretend he does.

(Edit) But I agree the Democratic leadership should propose legislation anyway, and advocate for it strongly, and loudly make it very clear who kills it.
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Impeach Trump again?
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

Biden doesn’t ‘own’ Congress while Manchin and Sinema (already on record on the latest shooting as saying ‘legislation is not the answer’) refuse to nix the filibuster.

The dems will need the filibuster after November, nixing it would be very stupid
  • Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited May 2022
    Eabhal said:

One of the things I like about being a singleton without kids is that my salary goes really far. At the same time, you also face the onus after a certain age of being supposedly unloved and selfish.

So take the money. It's consolation for the sad New York-type death everyone thinks you'll have, where they find your body after it sits for weeks in your tiny flat.
    Why the Senate Protects Supreme Court Justices From Protesters but Won’t Protect Kids From Mass Shootings
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/05/uvalde-mass-shooting-and-gun-rights-the-supreme-court-is-enabling-the-next-massacre.html
    … Consider that two weeks ago, when peaceful protesters were gathering outside the homes of Supreme Court justices, the U.S Senate unanimously passed an emergency bill to protect their families. Nobody in the Senate suggested that the justices or their children arm themselves, and nobody intimated that piously offering prayers for the justices and their families was more effective than actually protecting them. From peaceful protesters. And no one suggested the existing prohibition on carrying guns within the court building or within the Capitol complex is an affront to the Second Amendment. Certainly nobody accused the Senate of “politicizing” the alleged threats against the justices. Quite the opposite. After the unanimous vote to ensure that Supreme Court justices would have federal protection from scented votive candles and hand-painted signs, senators congratulated themselves on rallying on a bipartisan basis to protect the security of important public officials...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Eabhal said:

Canon R5.
    edited May 2022
    Rosemary Ainslie, Head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men.

https://twitter.com/CPSUK/status/1529829942816555009?s=20&t=j-KGcCp1DHRkDKDc4SLKsw

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting from Biden

The dems will need the filibuster after November, nixing it would be very stupid
    No, it wouldn’t.
    If the Republicans, when in control of the Senate, really want to do something, they’ll nix it anyway.
    It’s an undemocratic old boys’ rule, which has no place in a democracy.
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:
    We don't give a fuck anymore. Season 2 is dull.
    Speak for yourself.
    And Chancellor Scholz.
    Some people wont need the help on offer, but the problem with tailored solutions is the cost of administering and that it will cause xager and division at the margins.
    Bob, Andy and Clarissa are similar demogaphically but Bob doesnt need the help cos hes good with his money. Clarissa is a carefree spender and Andy has a gambling issue. The government cant make a decision on them individually.

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

Sounds like a dystopia. What a useless country the USA has become in some respects.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Canon R5.
    Very happy with my Sony, perfect for travel and wildlife.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

YouGov / The Times
    Sample Size: 1,115
    Fieldwork: 18-23 May 2022
    (+/- change from 18-22 November 2021)

Westminster voting intention

SNP 46% (-2)
    Lab 22% (+4)
    Con 19% (-1)
    LD 6% (nc)
    Grn 3% (nc)
    Ref 1% (-1)
    oth 2% (nc)

Holyrood voting intention - FPTP constituency vote

SNP 47% (-1)
    Lab 23% (+4)
    Con 18% (-3)
    LD 7% (nc)
    Grn 2% (nc)
    oth 3% (nc)

Holyrood voting intention - List vote

SNP 39% (+1)
    Lab 21% (+2)
    Con 18% (-1)
    Grn 10% (-1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    Alba 2% (+1)
    Ref 1% (-1)
    All for Unity 0 (-1)
    UKIP 0 (-1)
    oth 1% (nc)

No 55% Yes 45% from the same poll

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1529397583776464896?s=20&t=GzBpx5_5UYR31Se1J5mDZQ
    Since when did you care about Independence Referendum voting intention? Your infinitely repeated assertion is that the Jocks will never be allowed inside the polling stations, so what does it matter how they might cast their votes?

So far you have not advocated banning Scots from casting votes in Westminster or Holyrood elections, and here are the relevant VI findings for your party:

Westminster VI: Con 19% (-1)

Holyrood VI:
    FPTP constituency vote Con 18% (-3)
    List vote Con 18% (-1)

Instead of attempting to spot squirrels, perhaps you’d like to explain why your political party attracts support in the teens and has fallen back to third place behind Labour?
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Not their role to do that. It's MSPs' role to do that, and the SNP is a minority government, albeit recently with some limited cooperation from the SGs.
    Councillors shouldn't complain when they get an unfair and inadequate financial settlement from Holyrood? And have to cut services as a consequence. Really?

It's a view, I s'pose.

Rosemary Ainslie, Head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men.

https://twitter.com/CPSUK/status/1529829942816555009?s=20&t=j-KGcCp1DHRkDKDc4SLKsw

Söze really are going to jail him? I reckon he will just walk away from it with a Verbal warning.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

It happened anyway.…

Sounds like a dystopia. What a useless country the USA has become in some respects.
    The perfect gift for Back to School.

https://eu.northjersey.com/story/news/2019/08/15/bulletproof-backpack-for-kids-under-fire-do-these-backpacks-hold-up/2017751001/
    tlg86 said:

Any chance of a by-election?

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Councillors shouldn't complain when they get an unfair and inadequate financial settlement from Holyrood? And have to cut services as a consequence. Really?

It's a view, I s'pose.
    Councils should and can make representations. They also have COSLA as an umbrella body as well.
    Now they’re just taking the piss.

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1529787156436328448
    The Prime Minister's official spokesman has issued a personal apology for not telling the truth to journalists about parties in Downing Street
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Any chance of a by-election?
    No, she only got a short suspended sentence and clearly no desire to step down.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    The new details of the Texas shooting are almost too distressing to read

The terror of the kids in that locked room, for Forty Minutes, as the psycho went from child to child. Taking them out

Oh god. Oh god. It appears the police were paralysed by total cowardice. I can’t find any other explanation. Just shoot the door off it’s hinges

How did they leave him in there???
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

HYUFD said:

YouGov / The Times
    Sample Size: 1,115
    Fieldwork: 18-23 May 2022
    (+/- change from 18-22 November 2021)

Westminster voting intention

SNP 46% (-2)
    Lab 22% (+4)
    Con 19% (-1)
    LD 6% (nc)
    Grn 3% (nc)
    Ref 1% (-1)
    oth 2% (nc)

Holyrood voting intention - FPTP constituency vote

SNP 47% (-1)
    Lab 23% (+4)
    Con 18% (-3)
    LD 7% (nc)
    Grn 2% (nc)
    oth 3% (nc)

Holyrood voting intention - List vote

SNP 39% (+1)
    Lab 21% (+2)
    Con 18% (-1)
    Grn 10% (-1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    Alba 2% (+1)
    Ref 1% (-1)
    All for Unity 0 (-1)
    UKIP 0 (-1)
    oth 1% (nc)

No 55% Yes 45% from the same poll

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1529397583776464896?s=20&t=GzBpx5_5UYR31Se1J5mDZQ
    Since when did you care about Independence Referendum voting intention? Your infinitely repeated assertion is that the Jocks will never be allowed inside the polling stations, so what does it matter how they might cast their votes?

So far you have not advocated banning Scots from casting votes in Westminster or Holyrood elections, and here are the relevant VI findings for your party:

Westminster VI: Con 19% (-1)

Holyrood VI:
    FPTP constituency vote Con 18% (-3)
    List vote Con 18% (-1)

Instead of attempting to spot squirrels, perhaps you’d like to explain why your political party attracts support in the teens and has fallen back to third place behind Labour?
    Even with the state of Conservative popularity in Scotland independence is over

It is not happening and the SNP are soon to discover labour are going to take seats off them
This discussion has been closed.