Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A jeu d’esprit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pro_Rata said:

Just looked at the Wiki page listing school (and university) shootings in the USA. Even if we think this has been going on forever, instances including the worst events have been accelerating greatly since the turn of this century - it looks like 10 of the 11 US education setting shootings with 10 or more fatalities (if I'm counting correctly) have happened since 1999.

I'm certainly no pro second amendment nut, but there is a productive side discussion to be had about the factors, other than the very existence of guns, that have driven this, really quite recent, acceleration.

There is definitely an element of shooters seeking notoriety, and aping previous shootings. So publicity of shootings probably does drive other shootings, this is also said to be an issue with suicides.

Social media plays a part because a would-be shooter can easily make a statement now that will bypass attempts to censor them, they can also find idiots who will egg them on and endorse the justification of such attacks, and they can even find a live audience now by streaming their attacks.

Those are side issues though, lots of gun leads to lots of shootings of all types.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited May 2022

There is a program that has had considerable success in taking guns away from criminals in parts of the United States. It is commonly known as "stop and frisk", but has a different legal name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

It was so successful in New York City that criminals there began to use "community" guns. Rather than carry a gun on them, where it might be confiscated by a suspicious police officer, they would conceal them in public places, retrieving them only when they were about to commit a crime.

(They were called "community" guns because one gun was often shared by several criminals.)

Why wasn't this used more? The obvious reason; to make it work in New York, the police officers had to stop many young black and Hispanic men. That the program also saved the lives of hundreds in the same groups was not considered a sufficient reason to keep it.

Was it sometimes abused? Since police officers are, like the rest fo us, human, I'm sure it was.

Yglesias has a summary of the studies on this. It seems like putting a load of police on the streets of high-crime areas and having them frisk people did help reduce crime, but no more than you'd expect if you'd put the police on the streets of high-crime areas and not had them frisk people.

https://www.slowboring.com/p/eriic-adams-stop-frisk?s=r
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

There is a program that has had considerable success in taking guns away from criminals in parts of the United States. It is commonly known as "stop and frisk", but has a different legal name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

It was so successful in New York City that criminals there began to use "community" guns. Rather than carry a gun on them, where it might be confiscated by a suspicious police officer, they would conceal them in public places, retrieving them only when they were about to commit a crime.

(They were called "community" guns because one gun was often shared by several criminals.)

Why wasn't this used more? The obvious reason; to make it work in New York, the police officers had to stop many young black and Hispanic men. That the program also saved the lives of hundreds in the same groups was not considered a sufficient reason to keep it.

Was it sometimes abused? Since police officers are, like the rest fo us, human, I'm sure it was.

These school shootings arent usually by urban criminals though are they? They seem to be by suburban teenagers.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

"its dividends are paid to pension funds"

Can't we find a better way of funding our retirement than leeching off people's gas bills? Is that really beyond us?

Some facts.
    The standard UC after rent for single under 25's is £ 265.31 per calendar month.
    For over 25's is £ 334.91.
    The average energy bill from October is predicted to be £233.33 per calendar month.
    This is not sustainable.
    Regardless of any fucker's pension fund.
    And before anyone says small flat, don't use any energy. The standing charge percentage of that is huge. You could literally never turn it on and still be paying a whopping proportion.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,017
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Farooq said:

I mean, it was less than 5 years ago that 411 people were shot in a SINGLE incident in Las Vegas, and nobody even talks about it.

It's amazing how such a massive attack disappeared from the news so quickly. I didn't even seem to generate the kind of soul-searching articles you would get in the left leaning press in the US, as has happened with other shootings. With no clear motive or angle even the anti-gun people weren't that interested. It was treated more like a natural disaster.
    Must admit I'd forgotten all about it.
    I was in Las Vegas for a conference a few weeks later, and the city itself was trying to emphasise that a few hundred shot wouldn't change it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Not another f***ing one America.

Get your shit together.

That is all.

Ctrl-C
    Wait a few days
    Ctrl-V

repeat
    That's one of those posts where I don't really 'like' it but yes, its 100% accurate and well said.

Nothing will change. Nothing ever will.

But lets tell women they can't control their own bodies because life is sacred, or something or other.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Can't we find a better way of funding our retirement than leeching off people's gas bills? Is that really beyond us?

Some facts.
    The standard UC after rent for single under 25's is £ 265.31 per calendar month.
    The average energy bill from October is predicted to be £233.33 per calendar month.
    This is not sustainable.
    And before anyone says small flat, don't use any energy. The standing charge percentage of that is huge. You could literally never turn it on and still be paying a whopping proportion.
    Sounds like another rort whereby the poorest subsidise the wealthiest.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

So: choice time. Should I take my son (8 years old) to Alton Towers for two days or York for three?

He's never been to either, but I've been to both many times.

York, he'll love The Shambles.

Oh and Jorvik.
    Aren't you into trains?

National Railway Museum? There are also things like day trips on a steam train form there.
    I'm seriously into trains :)
    FPT if I may for @JosiasJessop - some ideas

1. walk the circuit of the wall walk around the town walls (and there is a nice model and train shop at the north gate if that helps) (there are two circuits, incomplete, one north and one sout of the river)
    2. Yorkshire Museum - nice fossils and roman remains
    3. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/york-cold-war-bunker/ - not been but intend to ...
    4. https://www.visityork.org/business-directory/yorkshire-air-museum - ditto ...
    5. York Castle on a motte

And you can see fudge being made in this shop in York:

https://www.fudgekitchen.co.uk/en/shops/york-fudge-kitchen

Loved seeing that done when I was little.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Farooq said:

I mean, it was less than 5 years ago that 411 people were shot in a SINGLE incident in Las Vegas, and nobody even talks about it.

It's amazing how such a massive attack disappeared from the news so quickly. I didn't even seem to generate the kind of soul-searching articles you would get in the left leaning press in the US, as has happened with other shootings. With no clear motive or angle even the anti-gun people weren't that interested. It was treated more like a natural disaster.
    I was in Las Vegas for a conference a few weeks later, and the city itself was trying to emphasise that a few hundred shot wouldn't change it.
    In general that sort of attitude seems laudable, we've all seen that defiance, but I confess it does feel like for some things it really should change us.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    Oh dear oh dear!

Ripping yarn with gripping drama. Or robbing yarn with grabbing drama?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

No you don’t understand, in recent decades energy prices paid by households was fair enough, dividends to a good place like pension funds is not leeching off consumers in that scenario. The problem with windfall tax is government marching into a market, arbitrary pointing at someone and declaring your profits this year are undeserved.
    Profits benefit people who have the wealth to invest.
    Lower prices benefit everybody.

You're wrong, I DO understand, but I don't give a fuck about the income derived from wealth if people with no capital are going cold as a result. I've thought about my priorities here.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer can’t believe his luck. At this point he’ll be walking into Downing Street with a majority of 100
  • Options
    Foxy said:

These school shootings arent usually by urban criminals though are they? They seem to be by suburban teenagers.
    Teens who don't like Mondays.

So this shit has been going on for longer than I've been alive.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,453

Vanity Fair is unfilmable because it’s a picaresque series of comic episodes; it’s the wrong structure.

I say that; Barry Lyndon is similar and of course was filmed by Kubrick. I believe it was panned at the time but some now regard it as his masterpiece.

I found Barry Lyndon slow.

If the 6 episode BBC wasn’t called war and peace I wouldn’t have recognised. I have watched a longer version of war and peace from the 70s with Anthony Hopkins that also didn’t capture the philosophising the book is about. TV adaptions go for characters and set pieces, what set the books apart are the philosophising that stimulated the mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Some facts.
    This is not sustainable.
    It is expensive being poor. It's a version of Pratchett's boots.
    Standing charges aren't subject to any cap.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Oh for the love of Christ, tell me they will at least get a good payrise if they are also to be the school defence militia. BBC

In response to the shooting in Uvalde, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says the solution may be arming teachers.

Speaking to conservative news outlet Newsmax, Paxton said that "having potentially teachers and other administrators be armed" would help stop future attacks while authorities arrived.

"First responders typically can't get there in time to prevent a shooting. It's just not possible unless you have a police officer on every campus," he said. "I think you're going to have to do more at the school."
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Farooq said:

In general that sort of attitude seems laudable, we've all seen that defiance, but I confess it does feel like for some things it really should change us.
    I'm fairly sure that if a few hundred people had been bitten by snakes they would have done something about snakes.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,228
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Some facts.
    This is not sustainable.
    A single person on UC / housing benefit under 35 is only given an allowance for a room in a shared house, not a small flat. I lived in shared houses for 15 years. It was pretty bad sharing bathrooms and kitchens, but being able to divide council tax and utilities by 4 was a blessing.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    2) Reduce government spending on other things
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

Now how many people want to do any of that ?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

I don't think people are opposed to creating wealth, we just have no idea how.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Some facts.
    This is not sustainable.
    I have always been angry about this.

In the Gardenwalker tyranny, there’s a special government department which tries to make life easier and/or cheaper for the least well off.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,748
    edited May 2022
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

If you're not sure how, then may I suggest that punitively taxing businesses when they make a profit (on top of the generic taxes they will already owe for the profit), while we simultaneously want them to be investing, is perhaps not the wisest of ideas.
  • Options

Did you see the story about the women's lacrosse team?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Anyway, off to bed. Glad to have amused some of you - especially @HYUFD (that must be some sort of PB milestone).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

No you don’t understand, in recent decades energy prices paid by households was fair enough, dividends to a good place like pension funds is not leeching off consumers in that scenario. The problem with windfall tax is government marching into a market, arbitrary pointing at someone and declaring your profits this year are undeserved.

You're wrong, I DO understand, but I don't give a fuck about the income derived from wealth if people with no capital are going cold as a result. I've thought about my priorities here.
    “ I don't give a fuck about the income derived from wealth”

Then where does the government get money to raise UC, living wage, improve all the public services? Investment in those things has to come from somewhere, it doesn’t grow on magic money trees.

Did you say you vote Lib Dem? How can you be Lib Dem if you are so left wing and anti capitalism?
  • Options
    IIRC the number of gun killings each year in the USA is over 20k with the number of deaths in mass shootings being under 1k.

Which is perhaps why mass shootings don't have more of an effect.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,349

Keir Starmer can’t believe his luck. At this point he’ll be walking into Downing Street with a majority of 100

Welcome back, CHB, we've missed you.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Some facts.
    This is not sustainable.
    I have always been angry about this.

In the Gardenwalker tyranny, there’s a special government department which tries to make life easier and/or cheaper for the least well off.
    Universal government support for putting up deposits and first months rent on rentals. The government can garnish wages to get it back if it goes wrong. Allows people to move for job opportunities, or to get away from a bad landlord.

There are some limited local schemes for this, but it would be great to do it nationally.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

You could do some of these things:

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund R&D investment to equal or exceed peer economies
    - Fund infrastructure
    - Improve workforce training
    - Keep taxation lower than peer economies
    - Reform the planning regime

Pretty much the reverse of what the current government is doing.
  • Options

IIRC the number of gun killings each year in the USA is over 20k with the number of deaths in mass shootings being under 1k.

I fail to see the point of your numbers.

How many die annually in mass shootings in the UK?
  • Options

Vanity Fair is unfilmable because it’s a picaresque series of comic episodes; it’s the wrong structure.

I say that; Barry Lyndon is similar and of course was filmed by Kubrick. I believe it was panned at the time but some now regard it as his masterpiece.

If the 6 episode BBC wasn’t called war and peace I wouldn’t have recognised. I have watched a longer version of war and peace from the 70s with Anthony Hopkins that also didn’t capture the philosophising the book is about. TV adaptions go for characters and set pieces, what set the books apart are the philosophising that stimulated the mind.
    A similar tale of ruthless ambition and an antihero would be "Room at the Top". One of the best British films of the Fifties.

• Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706

What odds are you offering on that?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,349

Yglesias has a summary of the studies on this. It seems like putting a load of police on the streets of high-crime areas and having them frisk people did help reduce crime, but no more than you'd expect if you'd put the police on the streets of high-crime areas and not had them frisk people.

https://www.slowboring.com/p/eriic-adams-stop-frisk?s=r
    It was common in ~Britain for a while ("Stop and search") and stopped for the same reason - people who were the 'wrong' colour got understandably fed up with being constantly stopped and searched because they were statistically more likely to be carrying a weapon. But I don't see how it worked at all in the US, since carrying guns is legal.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

A similar tale of ruthless ambition and an antihero would be "Room at the Top". One of the best British films of the Fifties.
    Excellent, excellent film.
  • Options

A windfall tax is a great idea because the idea that energy is a free market is bullshit anyway. These guys live by regulatory and political arbitrage.

It won’t raise much but every little helps.
    The immediate fiscal priority must be to reverse the universal credit cuts.

“ The immediate fiscal priority must be to reverse the universal credit cuts. “

I agree on that. The drop in Tory polling seems now to date from very moment they cut it.
  • Options

A windfall tax is a great idea because the idea that energy is a free market is bullshit anyway. These guys live by regulatory and political arbitrage.

How do E&P companies, that risk capital in the hope of finding new sources of oil and gas, live by "regulatory and political arbitrage"?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

My 'we' in this instance was shorthand for the country, as in our goverments (though I don't flatter myself to do better than them) not having an idea.

I mean, they at least knew about reforming the planning regime, they just dropped the attempt (good or not) because it was so toxic in the shires.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yup. Also most of the school shootings involve guns held legally.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Some facts.
    This is not sustainable.
    A single person on UC / housing benefit under 35 is only given an allowance for a room in a shared house, not a small flat. I lived in shared houses for 15 years. It was pretty bad sharing bathrooms and kitchens, but being able to divide council tax and utilities by 4 was a blessing.
    Well indeed. However. If you rent a flat under 25 and have the misfortune to find yourself having to claim UC then a large proportion of your £265.31 pcm will go to the rent. Then energy.
    The numbers simply aren't adding up.
    That's before we talk about the disabled. Sick. Underemployed. Carers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

My 'we' in this instance was shorthand for the country, as in our goverments (though I don't flatter myself to do better than them) not having an idea.

I mean, they at least knew about reforming the planning regime, they just dropped the attempt (good or not) because it was so toxic in the shires.
    They had a mutant algorithm.
    It was an utter botch-job and it’s right that they dropped it.

They need to go back to the drawing board and have another go.
  • Options

I agree on that. The drop in Tory polling seems now to date from very moment they cut it.
    There's a number of things that have happened in the past twelve months to make people of all shades disappointed in the Government.

While people seem keen in general to blame/credit [delete as appropriate] Partygate as the reason, its worth noting that the Tories were already behind in the polls even before Partygate began.

Allegra Stratton resigned early December, that was the beginning of Partygate really, but crossover had already been reached in the polls in November and Labour had more poll leads than the Tories in November and momentum was only going one way.

For some it might be UC, for others (like myself) it was raising National Insurance.

But the government's unpopularity is about much more and much more systemic than who may or may not have had alcohol on a random night two years ago.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,087

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

Isn't cutting taxes and increasing government spending basically Reaganomics?
  • Options

But I don't see how it worked at all in the US, since carrying guns is legal.

IIUC cities like NY have relatively strict gun laws, for instance you'd need a license for a handgun.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Phillips P. OBrien

The thing that seems strange about all the comments saying pressure must be put on Ukraine to give up territory or Putin must be given an off ramp, etc, is that it’s all unnecessary. If the different governments want to make their views known to the Ukr govt, they can...

Saying it out loud only puts more pressure on Ukr and gives more hope to Putin. So why do it? I can’t think of one thing it gains but publicity and point scoring. Far better to provide what aid to Ukr you want, quietly let your position be known, and then step back.

I don’t think it’s the governments saying this. I think it’s the likes of Schroeder. (“Senior figures”). They have lost but are still trying to influence the debate in Russia’s favour
    They are the worst, but I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the French, German, Italian or Hungarian governments to push for Ukraine to make "concessions".
    But the US and UK will fight to the last Ukrainian.
  • Options

The point is that deaths from mass killings are only a tiny proportion of all gun deaths in the USA.

There's likely been another 50-100 gun deaths in the USA today.

Something which the USA seems happy to live with.

Whereas a mass shooting in the UK is a far higher proportion of gun deaths.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

Yes, but will they? Or will they just think it too hard, especially with an election in a couple of years, and not risk cocking up again?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

“ I don't give a fuck about the income derived from wealth”

Then where does the government get money to raise UC, living wage, improve all the public services? Investment in those things has to come from somewhere, it doesn’t grow on magic money trees.

Did you say you vote Lib Dem? How can you be Lib Dem if you are so left wing and anti capitalism?
    I'm pro capitalism. I'm just not an absolutist about it.

The important qualifier I added was "if people with no capital are going cold as a result."
    If people are too poor to afford three cars, I don't care. If you can't afford to eat at a restaurant every night, I don't care. If you can't afford to heat your home, I do care.

In other words, there's a small set of life-essentials I would protect from the vicissitudes of capitalism. That's a sensible, centrist position that I'm sure would find sympathy on the right of Labour and the left of the Conservatives. And yes, amongst a large part of the Lib Dems.

Oh, and I'm not "a Lib Dem". I have voted for them in the past, including in 2019. I have voted Conservative at other times, and Green, and very recently SNP.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Phillips P. OBrien

The thing that seems strange about all the comments saying pressure must be put on Ukraine to give up territory or Putin must be given an off ramp, etc, is that it’s all unnecessary. If the different governments want to make their views known to the Ukr govt, they can...

Saying it out loud only puts more pressure on Ukr and gives more hope to Putin. So why do it? I can’t think of one thing it gains but publicity and point scoring. Far better to provide what aid to Ukr you want, quietly let your position be known, and then step back.

I don’t think it’s the governments saying this. I think it’s the likes of Schroeder. (“Senior figures”). They have lost but are still trying to influence the debate in Russia’s favour
    They are the worst, but I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the French, German, Italian or Hungarian governments to push for Ukraine to make "concessions".
    The plan is to fight to the last Russian.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

What was "mutant" about it other than NIMBYs didn't like the outcome and were worried it would spoil their ill gotten gains from rising house prices by making homes as affordable for the young as it was when they purchased their own home?

Was there anywhere with a 3x house-price to earnings multiple or lower being told that they needed to build lots of homes? I'm sceptical.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The 60s/70s versions was a better adaption of the book. Especially man at the top which captured the wicker man type twist on film. I think because 70s was a better setting for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

They could be more creative than that. Right now, how the f*** do you pay to go to interviews? Or even scope out an opportunity?
    The single best benefit they could give the unemployed is a free bus and train pass. Like old folk have.
    Be good for the mental health just to have a day out or visit friends or relatives too.
    Or just go to the seaside. Daily Mail outrage.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Phillips P. OBrien

We will, I hope, support what the government and people of Ukraine want. It is for them to decide what to do with their lives for themselves and their nation. At present they are willing to sacrifice. Time will tell how much sacrifice they can bear, but we have no need or right to encourage them to do less, or more. Just be there and do what we can if they ask for it. The West collectively is already not doing all they ask, as we think it too much, after all.
  • Options

There's a number of things that have happened in the past twelve months to make people of all shades disappointed in the Government.

While people seem keen in general to blame/credit [delete as appropriate] Partygate as the reason, its worth noting that the Tories were already behind in the polls even before Partygate began.

Allegra Stratton resigned early December, that was the beginning of Partygate really, but crossover had already been reached in the polls in November and Labour had more poll leads than the Tories in November and momentum was only going one way.

For some it might be UC, for others (like myself) it was raising National Insurance.

But the government's unpopularity is about much more and much more systemic than who may or may not have had alcohol on a random night two years ago.
    Paterson and PPE contracts in general.

The 'one rule for us and another for them' meme is always dangerous for a government to allow to flourish.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes, the book inspired me to my career in hospital medicine.

Though Johnson is no Becky Sharpe, nor Barry Lyndon or Joe Lampton, all of whom were ruthless at social climbing, but of humble origin.

Johnson was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, went to Eton etc. He is more likely to bully and mock those of humble origins than to behave like one of them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Probably best anti hero book of all, and certainly more film able than Tolstoy would be a hero of our time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

What was "mutant" about it other than NIMBYs didn't like the outcome and were worried it would spoil their ill gotten gains from rising house prices by making homes as affordable for the young as it was when they purchased their own home?

Was there anywhere with a 3x house-price to earnings multiple or lower being told that they needed to build lots of homes? I'm sceptical.
    I am surprised you favoured it, it was a kind of Stalinist attempt to override local planning full stop.

Planning needs root and branch reform and we’ve both outlined our views on this at length, no need to rehearse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

It tends to involve hard work, investment, improving skills and other things which people might not be inclined to do.
  • Options

The polls began to turn in June. It's been pretty steady. The big crater was Patterson.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Though Johnson is no Becky Sharpe, nor Barry Lyndon or Joe Lampton, all of whom were ruthless at social climbing, but of humble origin.

Johnson was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, went to Eton etc. He is more likely to bully and mock those of humble origins than to behave like one of them.
    Johnson would make Lampton minister for the north and levelling up.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

I am surprised you favoured it, it was a kind of Stalinist attempt to override local planning full stop.

Planning needs root and branch reform and we’ve both outlined our views on this at length, no need to rehearse.
    Why are you surprised, I don't think the state should be involved in planning so abolishing local planning is a good thing in my view. I thought I'd made that clear.

The proposals didn't go anywhere near far enough, but they were baby steps in the right direction, now even that has been drowned. Something that was actually a good idea as opposed to just more taxing and spending, so lets drown that and go back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

The polls began to turn in June. It's been pretty steady. The big crater was Patterson.
    The crater was NI rise and UC cut.

NI rise was a key election promise shredded
    Every single voter though UC cut was wrong with families, the poorest in our society, already struggling. People not work shy, doing numerous jobs for their families not even standing still their finances going backward, the sleepless nights of worry. Whilst the architect of the cut is how the other half live.

Typical PB we can’t even agree on this.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No, I don't think so. Too much of a threat.

For those who haven't seen it, Room at the Top is on BFI Player, can be seen on their free trial:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/subscription/film/watch-room-at-the-top-1958-online
  • Options

I believe that hospitals in the UK are overloaded with people who have been knifed. "Knives, knives, knives."
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Every single voter though UC cut was wrong with families already struggling.

Arguing about what “cut through” and what didn’t is prime PB steak.
  • Options
    People will start to wonder what the point in such a large majority is when the Government doesn't do anything.
  • Options

People will start to wonder what the point in such a large majority is when the Government doesn't do anything.

Too pissed to do anything by the look of them.

Though they are adept at copying Labour's homework.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Saying it was all Patterson is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

The lead was narrowing long before Patterson, Deltapoll showed the lead narrowed to just 1% just weeks before the Patterson story kicked off.

In the space of less than three months we had the NI tax rise, the UC benefit cut, Patterson and Labour taking the lead.

I see no reason to think the only factor involved is the last one of the three. The last one might interest political anoraks more, but maybe the rest of the public are interested in how much money is in their pockets?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

Reagan also didn't pull the US out of the EU... Interesting...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Not Brexit
    - Encourage immigration
    - Fund infrastructure

Reaganomics is a political strategy rather than a fiscal one I think.

There’s certainly no simple answer to the UK’s current situation, but at heart the country is over-incentivising non-productive activity and under-incentivising productive activity.

A government needs not only to reverse this but to signal that it doing so; in other words it needs a growth strategy.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,748
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

I believe that hospitals in the UK are overloaded with people who have been knifed. "Knives, knives, knives."
    As tragic as the knife situation is, especially common between rival drug gangs, people who are knifed mostly end up in hospital, while people who are shot end up in a morgue with their classmates and teacher.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No, I don't think so. Too much of a threat.

For those who haven't seen it, Room at the Top is on BFI Player, can be seen on their free trial:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/subscription/film/watch-room-at-the-top-1958-online
    “ No, I don't think so. Too much of a threat.”

Poor Jon Bon Govi thought he had finished the bugger off in 2016 😆
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Foxy said:

The photo of Boris that several of the papers are using...

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/

Glowering Boris as he tightens his tie.

It's not the best, is it?

No, when his mask slips the real nastiness shows.
    It is the look of a man who has just been told "HOW MANY letters?"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sure, nasty enough but not anything like the gun carnage in American gang wars.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Boris is perhaps similar to the great anti-hero Harry Flashman.

From a privileged background but popular with the people, the womanising, the cowardice, the lying and the incredible luck.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Every single voter though UC cut was wrong with families, the poorest in our society, already struggling. People not work shy, doing numerous jobs for their families not even standing still their finances going backward, the sleepless nights of worry. Whilst the architect of the cut is how the other half live.

The polls dropped almost imperceptibly slowly from June onwards. They reached crossover in November at the time of Patterson. There hasn't been a Tory lead since early December as Sunil is fond of reminding us.
    Patterson was the turning point. It wasn't policy. It was perception.
    The other stuff has re-inforced that view, yes.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    Foxy asked: "These school shootings arent usually by urban criminals though are they? They seem to be by suburban teenagers."

Mass shooters do seem to be more likely to be white, even allowing for the differences in the sizes of the groups. Whether school shooters, totally, are more likely to be white, is a more difficult question. I suspect not, but the sad fact is that black-on-black crime gets very little attention from our from our journalists. (That's an extreme case of what George W. Bush called the "soft bigotry of low expectations".)

For example, in this area, recently a gang banger waited for a high school to let out and killed, as I recall, a man and his son. It got very little coverage, even here. Similar attacks happen all over the country, every week.

Similarly, the evidence that the BLM protests led to signficant increases in crime, including murder, with most of the victims black, is strong -- but it would be a brave academic in most American universities who would do serious research on that question.

(I should caution all of you that the quality of the research on crime in th US is low, and that many touchy subjects will be avoided by almost everyone. For example, I think the evidence is strong that fatherless boys are far more likely to become criminals -- and fatherless girls are more likely to become victims, but I wouldn't advise anyone to ask for a research grant from, for example, the Ford Foundation, to study that question.

And heterodox findings, like Cass Sunstein's on the deterrence effect of the death penalty, will simply be ignored.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How do E&P companies, that risk capital in the hope of finding new sources of oil and gas, live by "regulatory and political arbitrage"?
    The odd windfall tax is very much at the gentle end of regulatory and political risk. They live and breath this stuff.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Boris is perhaps similar to the great anti-hero Harry Flashman.

From a privileged background but popular with the people, the womanising, the cowardice, the lying and the incredible luck.
    Yes, that is probably the best fit in literature.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The polls dropped almost imperceptibly slowly from June onwards. They reached crossover in November at the time of Patterson. There hasn't been a Tory lead since early December as Sunil is fond of reminding us.
    Since it takes a few weeks normally for news to filter through to opinion polls, if they reached crossover at the point of Patterson then you should look at a few weeks before Patterson to see what caused crossover.

What happened a few weeks before Patterson?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway, off to bed. Glad to have amused some of you - especially @HYUFD (that must be some sort of PB milestone).

Sometimes spelt "millstone"......
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The lead was narrowing long before Patterson, Deltapoll showed the lead narrowed to just 1% just weeks before the Patterson story kicked off.

In the space of less than three months we had the NI tax rise, the UC benefit cut, Patterson and Labour taking the lead.

I see no reason to think the only factor involved is the last one of the three. The last one might interest political anoraks more, but maybe the rest of the public are interested in how much money is in their pockets?
    "I'm going to pay more tax but that Paterson got all that money"

"I'm having my benefits cut but that Paterson got all that money"
  • Options
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

Yeah it was. I think Patterson was a symbolic crystallisation though of everything unformed but suspected on some level.
    A lot of the benefit of the doubt people turned then.
    Which isn't to say he can't win them back. But he's shown no signs so far
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Great line for Starmer if the Tory’s go Windfall (Dum though Boris government is, I still don’t believe they are dum enough to play into Labours hand)

“Thank goodness I’ve got your 80 seat majority to get my policies through,”

Let’s see if Starmer’s spin doctors read PB and use this one.
  • Options

Foxy asked: "These school shootings arent usually by urban criminals though are they? They seem to be by suburban teenagers."

Mass shooters do seem to be more likely to be white, even allowing for the differences in the sizes of the groups. Whether school shooters, totally, are more likely to be white, is a more difficult question. I suspect not, but the sad fact is that black-on-black crime gets very little attention from our from our journalists. (That's an extreme case of what George W. Bush called the "soft bigotry of low expectations".)

For example, in this area, recently a gang banger waited for a high school to let out and killed, as I recall, a man and his son. It got very little coverage, even here. Similar attacks happen all over the country, every week.

Similarly, the evidence that the BLM protests led to signficant increases in crime, including murder, with most of the victims black, is strong -- but it would be a brave academic in most American universities who would do serious research on that question.

(I should caution all of you that the quality of the research on crime in th US is low, and that many touchy subjects will be avoided by almost everyone. For example, I think the evidence is strong that fatherless boys are far more likely to become criminals -- and fatherless girls are more likely to become victims, but I wouldn't advise anyone to ask for a research grant from, for example, the Ford Foundation, to study that question.

And heterodox findings, like Cass Sunstein's on the deterrence effect of the death penalty, will simply be ignored.)

In American inner cities the correlation of race and povery is very high. Is it black on black crime, or poor on poor?

School and other mass shootings make the news not just because of the scale, but also because the victims tend to be middle class suburbanites.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Encourage immigration

“The number of visas issued to migrants from outside of the EU reached a record in 2021 as the first year of the UK's post-Brexit rules led to a more liberal immigration system, the Times has revealed. Home Office figures show that 843,538 non-EU migrants were granted visas to live, work and study in Britain last year.

The figure is a 107,000 increase when compared to 2019.”

There are two confounding factors, though:

1) Hong Kong; and
    2) Our foreign student numbers are at record levels partly because Chinese and Indian students who would otherwise have gone to Australia/NZ have come here.

But overall, the “no one will want to come to nasty brexit Britain” stuff has been shown for the nonsense it always was. As if the average Indian or Chinese 18 year old gives a toss about internal UK politics.

Brown and black immigrants don't count to Remainers. They are mainly upset we don't let in unskilled white ones.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes. Regular readers may appreciate I experienced just so last Wednesday.
    The difference is I was 10 metres away minding my own business and was in absolutely no dangerous of crossfire stabbing.
  • Options
    Now a question for you, Foxy: Am I right that the girls victimized by grooming gangs in places like Rotherham mostly did not have fathers in their lives?

I would wager that is true for Jeffrey Epstein's victims, too -- and I doubt that any prominent reporter will tackle that question.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Patterson was just a political village thing, mostly enjoyed by journo’s. Partygate came up on the doorsteps in Shropshire North.

Partygate hollowed out Boris ratings very quickly, but what has really moved votes, and given his own party ideas to remove him, is complete absence of economical and fiscal strategy, as illuminated by his conference and CBI speech fiasco.

What dear bit of economic and fiscal strategy Boris government has had has been poorly managed.
  • Options

One of the last things they tried to use their large majority for was to get a mate off from being suspended due to his own poor behaviour, so the problem is also what they choose to use it for.
  • Options

There is actually plenty of evidence of who is more likely to become criminals, and the evidence shows unwanted aborted foetuses are the most likely to have become criminals if you study the research. Oddly enough it seems that poor people who don't want a baby, if they're forced to have a baby anyway that child is far more likely to grow up to become a criminal.

Legalised abortion leads to a collapse in crime rates a generation later as the would-be criminals were simply never born.

It seems many American states will be witnessing the largest crime waves seen in generations in about eighteen years time if the Supreme Court has anything to do with it.

Not sure if that was the kind of evidence you were looking for though.

See the work of Donohue and Levitt for this one.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Since it takes a few weeks normally for news to filter through to opinion polls, if they reached crossover at the point of Patterson then you should look at a few weeks before Patterson to see what caused crossover.

What happened a few weeks before Patterson?
    People realised they'd been conned?
    It's rarely one thing. The polls had been drifting since Hartlepool.
    The Budget and Patterson was a one-two.
    We've been conned. You can't see it. Maybe most won't. But it's a grift.
    Nothing more nor less
  • Options
    Aslan said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Encourage immigration

“The number of visas issued to migrants from outside of the EU reached a record in 2021 as the first year of the UK's post-Brexit rules led to a more liberal immigration system, the Times has revealed. Home Office figures show that 843,538 non-EU migrants were granted visas to live, work and study in Britain last year.

1) Hong Kong; and
    2) Our foreign student numbers are at record levels partly because Chinese and Indian students who would otherwise have gone to Australia/NZ have come here.

But overall, the “no one will want to come to nasty brexit Britain” stuff has been shown for the nonsense it always was. As if the average Indian or Chinese 18 year old gives a toss about internal UK politics.

Brown and black immigrants don't count to Remainers. They are mainly upset we don't let in unskilled white ones.
    Never get high on your own supply
  • Options

Now a question for you, Foxy: Am I right that the girls victimized by grooming gangs in places like Rotherham mostly did not have fathers in their lives?

I would wager that is true for Jeffrey Epstein's victims, too -- and I doubt that any prominent reporter will tackle that question.

The sort of society we are today, the violence of football hooligans, due to family breakdown. Isn’t this the sort of stuff Gareth Southgate was warbling on about today?

What was all that stuff. Where was it all coming from Gareth?

Now a question for you Jimmy Miller, if girls end up vulnerable in teen years due to a lack of father figure, where are you apportioning blame?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Here are some ways:

1) Pay more tax
    3) Save more money
    4) Create more wealth

- Encourage immigration

1) Hong Kong; and

Found this for you, @Aslan.
    Something to ponder as you pause between shit-posts.

• Options

Foxy said:

Great line for Starmer if the Tory’s go Windfall (Dum though Boris government is, I still don’t believe they are dum enough to play into Labours hand)

“Thank goodness I’ve got your 80 seat majority to get my policies through,”

Let’s see if Starmer’s spin doctors read PB and use this one.
    It won't be Windfall Tax
    Special Economic Operation.
  • Options

if girls end up vulnerable in teen years due to a lack of father figure, where are you apportioning blame?

To the father. Or "Mr Prime Minister" to you.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Phillips P. OBrien

The plan is to fight to the last Russian.
    Who has his finger on a big red button. What could possibly go wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Russians handed their arses on a plate as much as the next man. But the notion that it is somehow immoral to seek ways to end the war, save lives and reduce the risk of nuclear annihilation, even if it means giving the Russians their pyrrhic victory, is absurd.
  • Options
    Here are some numbers from Chicago:
    In 2011, 83% of murders involved a firearm, and 6.4% were the result of a stabbing. 10% of murders in 2011 were the result of an armed robbery and at least 60% were gang or gang narcotics altercations. Over 40% of victims and 60% of offenders were between the ages of 17 and 25. 90.1% of victims were male. 75.3% of victims and 70.5% of offenders were African American, 18.9% were Hispanic (20.3% of offenders), and whites were 5.6% of victims (3.5% of offenders).[71]

Murder rates in Chicago vary greatly depending on the neighborhood in question. Many of the predominantly African American neighborhoods on the South Side are impoverished, lack educational resources and noted for high levels of street gang activity.[73] The neighborhoods of Englewood on the South Side, and Austin on the West side, for example, have homicide rates that are ten times higher than other parts of the city.[74] Violence in these neighborhoods has had a detrimental impact on the academic performance of children in schools, as well as a higher financial burden for school districts in need of counselors, social workers, and psychiatrists to help children cope with the violence.[75] In 2014, Chicago Public Schools adopted the "Safe Passage Route" program to place unarmed volunteers, police officers and firefighters along designated walking routes to provide security for children en route to school.[76] From 2010 to 2014, 114 school children were murdered in Chicago.
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago

A personal note: In the late 1960s, I taught in a slum school on the west side of Chicago. It was an elementary school, so we only had one full-time police officer on duty. (A nearby high school had four.) My experience then persuaded me that crime i our inner cities is more often a cause of poverty, than the other way around.
This discussion has been closed.