Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ahead of the Gray report 2022 moves up in the PM exit betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,241
    edited May 2022
    @Cookie I wish you well and hope you have a glorious sun-kissed holiday and can tell me afterwards what tosh I've talked!

Falmouth is fab.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,130
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Ukranian Ambassador says he is now in talks with the UK government who are considering sending Royal Navy warships to the Black Sea to break the Russian blockade

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1529168395027075073?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

Can we even do that? I thought the Bosphorus was shut to warships in wartime?
    Dunno. But it all sounds a bit Lord Palmestone.

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,606
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Rishi pays £10,000 to hire a helicopter to take him to a Tory gala dinner

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529150381489803265?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

It’s his money. So what .
    Yes a weird non story.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

RobD said:

BBC News - Cost of living: Government plan to help households could come in days
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61572226

Splashing more money around? I thought the idea was to reduce inflation, not increase it.
    I remember noting last year that Biden chief advisor saying that splashing money around, even if not well targeted was fine because the west had solved inflation and any blip would be transitory.
    Giving £20 to those on benefits and UC is not going to make any noticeable difference to inflation.

It is increasing the money supply, unless there are proposals to reduce spending/increase taxation to compensate.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,377

Lib Dems must be loving this Panorama....

I'm not. I think we have such a total shambles of a government and Downing Street.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Ukranian Ambassador says he is now in talks with the UK government who are considering sending Royal Navy warships to the Black Sea to break the Russian blockade

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1529168395027075073?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

I assume Boris would use submarines too to sink any obstacles in their path if he needed to move the narrative on from partygate
    I do hope that was said in a tone of sarcastic disapproval.

I mean, surely nobody would support Johnson bombing Turkey to distract attention from his party woes?
    Why would he need to bomb Turkey, a NATO ally who would let fellow NATO ships through?
    Because it's Turkey that would shut the Bosphorus to warships!
    ydoethur said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    53m
    Boris Johnson believed & believes his conduct at these events fell within the rules. The police only disagree with his assessment re his birthday. Given the police agree with what he said, it's silly to pretend Boris was "obviously lying".

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1529158182907564034

===

So, basically, the argument is that he had not a fucking clue what the laws he was signing off on meant in detail or how they impacted on the most basic of human interactions - like having a drink after work with mates.

Literally, no idea what the rest of the country was doing thanks to his own legislation.

So - he's a liar or he's the biggest idiot to ever sit in the cabinet room.

I think that's a false dichotomy. I would go for 'the bastard's both.'
    Ah. Good point.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,932
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I assume Boris would use submarines too to sink any obstacles in their path if he needed to move the narrative on from partygate

I mean, surely nobody would support Johnson bombing Turkey to distract attention from his party woes?
    Why would he need to bomb Turkey, a NATO ally who would let fellow NATO ships through?
    I assume Turkey is also included in the talks
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,198
    Panorama — actors' voices were used but I hope for civil servants' sake that those were not genuine head shots. People are recognisable even from behind if you already know them.
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Here is their position of three months ago:

https://news.usni.org/2022/02/28/turkey-closes-bosphorus-dardanelles-straits-to-warships

I cannot see why they would change it.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,711
    Nothing new in the partygate programme .

Of course the BBC hater Dorries might find something to moan about but it was a very fair look at things and wasn’t some Johnson attack job .

nico679 said:

Of course the BBC hater Dorries might find something to moan about but it was a very fair look at things and wasn’t some Johnson attack job .

Why was it parked on BBC2 ?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,465
    May 24, 2022 Primaries - Poll Closing Times

Georgia Primary - 7.00 pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) = 12.00 midnight UK

Alabama Primary - 7.00 pm Central Daylight Time (CDT) = 1.00 am UK

Arkansas Primary - 7.30 pm CDT = 1.30 am UK

Texas Runoff Primary - 7.00 PM CDT / 7.00 PM Mountain Daylight Time (MDT) = 1.00 am / 2.00 am UK
    > note that MDT is only El Paso & few other far west TX counties
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Oh and a venue to add to @Leon's excellent list: Piedmont in northern Italy. Absolutely glorious largely forgotten region with the most stunning scenery, superb food, beautiful towns, glorious coastline with beaches. And SUN.

It's also easily drivable from southern Britain. Go down the east side of France through the Vosges and Jura, over the Alps. An incredible drive that is a million times better than the North Coast 500 without the traffic.

There are places on that route that will make you weep with pleasure.

A useful little piece of travel wisdom I have learned over the years.

Anywhere that is REALLY famous for its skiing probably has glorious landscapes that are wonderful in summer yet full of cheap (skiing) accommodation that they give away for peanuts in the summer

This is true of multiple places across Europe (but not Switzerland, which is demonically expensive always)
    Schladming is stunningly beautiful and very inexpensive in September/October. Just after the school holidays and just before the skiing.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,167
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Here is their position of three months ago:

https://news.usni.org/2022/02/28/turkey-closes-bosphorus-dardanelles-straits-to-warships

I cannot see why they would change it.
    Perhaps to allow the latest acquisitions of the Ukrainian Navy to reach their home port?

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,842
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:
    Not noticeably so when I was booking our fortnight in Cornwall... Not much availability and way more expensive than three years ago. Still cheaper and easier than flying a family of five out to the Med somewhere in July/August. IMHO going on a foreign holiday in the summer is just as mad as going on a UK holiday any other time of the year.
    Serious question, what do you do if/when it rains?

Which it does, in Cornwall. A lot

I don’t understand people who go to Cornwall for their main summer holiday en famille. And I am a loyal Cornishman

It’s a rather sweet place, sublime in a few places, but it is really expensive and… the weather. If I was unlucky enough to have just one main holiday, and kids in tow, I would absolutely want guaranteed sun
    Once again find myself agreeing with you.

Devon and Cornwall and most of the west side of Britain is okay if the weather is lovely. It frequently isn't. It's bloody hard work with a family if it's raining and the roads become clogged as everyone desperately finds something useful to do. Britain is also now extremely expensive.

Holidaying the UK is all very well during a pandemic but you're rolling the dice on the weather.

If it rains in Devon & Cornwall you're fooked. There's only so many times you can visit a Butterfly Farm and Gnome World.
    Tintagel castle, tin mines, the seal sanctuary, Penzance, Truro Cathedral, Flambards,The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tate Gallery St Ives, St Michael's Mount, Minack Theatre, The Eden Project etc. Plenty to do in Cornwall even if the weather is not blazing sunshine or if it is raining. I remember as I spent half my childhood summers there and it was not always sunny enough for the beach

As @Heathener says, many of those are shite in rain. And Truro Cathedral is probably the most boring Anglican cathedral in Britain, after Guildford. Moreover, if you get a wet week (or, go forbid, fortnight) you would rock through those pretty quickly, you wouldn’t want to go back

Yet families return to Cornwall, year after year. I’m glad they do, for the sake of the Cornish tourist industry, but it still mystifies me
    You're from Cornwall, no?
    People often feel blasé about where they're from. But objectively, Cornwall is a special place. To cross the Tamar is to step into another country. Coves and tin mines. The bright, wet, prow of the country, cutting into the sea and covered in salt spray. The heathy, cider-soaked finis terræ. Wonderful.
    The wife, daughters and I are off to Falmouth on Saturday. I cannot wait. We've done Cornwall the last six summers, in the Polzeath area. Always want to try somewhere new but cannot bring ourselves not to have the same holiday as we've just had. Especially now the kids know other kids who go the same week. So this year, we're going twice - once in August, once in June.

Maybe we've been lucky - but in six years we've had fewer than six rainy days.
    Maybe being from Manchester I have a different standard of what a rainy day is.

Cornwall is definitely better in the sun. But if it rains, you just have to embrace it.

And some years, we've tried France. And it's rained. And that really is shit.
    I will now defend Cornwall’s food. If anywhere has had a foodie revolution it is Cornwall. The oysters! Love them
    Not cheap though.

Cancale is the place I'm most fond of for oysters. Sit on the harbour wall, in the sun, and soak up the French atmosphere. C'est magnifique la.
    Cancale is great for buying a bucket of oysters and beasting through them chucking the shells over the harbour wall to join the pile.

Dinard is great in high summer with lots of pretty people and a lovely beach to eat and drink around. Dinan for more civilised olde worlde feel.

La Baule for south of France in north of France.
    I remember many years ago stumbling upon Riquewihr and staying there the night before ambling across the Jura, through places like Besancon and Pontarlier, with the Alps growing on the horizon. Then tackling one of the Alpine passes: the Grand St Bernard I think before dropping into Italy.

https://www.francethisway.com/places/riquewihr.php

Oh my. Great times.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited May 2022

Is it worth my watching the Panorama thing a little later?

I would say no. There is nothing we didn't know. Boris popped into some events, but the staffers were rat arsed ar every opportunity and now trying to say well he never said no.

As i said was the case from the start, Boris clearly nod nod wink wink make sure you destress chaps. Then half the program has been about Boris background and Ukraine.
    But that’s the point in itself. Whilst Shapps and Daily Mail try to distract from the actual crime with how many minutes and seconds Boris was actually there, he made the law, looked at us eye to eye in the press conferences to observe it, but instigated or turned blind eye to downing street law breaking he should have stopped
    That has been my point from the start.
    It’s a great point. The whole world should believe you. It’s spot on. Not the seconds he was there, but the fact he didn’t say WOAH! What the riff are you doing. Not this week. I’ve locked the country down, we just have to wait like everyone else, especially this building, we need to lead by example - I, Boris, at least smart enough to know we are being watched, easily grassed up, and the utter disaster for me if we don’t lead by example at this time.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,478
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529150381489803265?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

Shocking inflation. Would have been a few thousand less last year...

nico679 said:

Why was it parked on BBC2 ?
    Compromise secret phone call with Dorries, the government deny they instigated or put any pressure on. 😃
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,029
    Laura seems to think Starmer and Rayner are guiltier than Boris. Her analysis of Beergate was very damning.

This programme was more about Laura than Partygate. Typical Panorama rubbish.
    So, I've watched first ten mins or so of Panorama doc and... hmm... it seems to me that this is partly an attempt by the BBC to make Laura K a 'personality'. The centre of the story and the key narrator. Lot of shots of her getting new info by email and asking questions on smartphones in the street.

I am a cynic. But this seems to me to be partly about lining up ducks for her take over of Andrew Marr show in autumn.

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,662
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:
    Not noticeably so when I was booking our fortnight in Cornwall... Not much availability and way more expensive than three years ago. Still cheaper and easier than flying a family of five out to the Med somewhere in July/August. IMHO going on a foreign holiday in the summer is just as mad as going on a UK holiday any other time of the year.

I don’t understand people who go to Cornwall for their main summer holiday en famille. And I am a loyal Cornishman

It’s a rather sweet place, sublime in a few places, but it is really expensive and… the weather. If I was unlucky enough to have just one main holiday, and kids in tow, I would absolutely want guaranteed sun

Devon and Cornwall and most of the west side of Britain is okay if the weather is lovely. It frequently isn't. It's bloody hard work with a family if it's raining and the roads become clogged as everyone desperately finds something useful to do. Britain is also now extremely expensive.

Holidaying the UK is all very well during a pandemic but you're rolling the dice on the weather.

If it rains in Devon & Cornwall you're fooked. There's only so many times you can visit a Butterfly Farm and Gnome World.
    Tintagel castle, tin mines, the seal sanctuary, Penzance, Truro Cathedral, Flambards,The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tate Gallery St Ives, St Michael's Mount, Minack Theatre, The Eden Project etc. Plenty to do in Cornwall even if the weather is not blazing sunshine or if it is raining. I remember as I spent half my childhood summers there and it was not always sunny enough for the beach

As @Heathener says, many of those are shite in rain. And Truro Cathedral is probably the most boring Anglican cathedral in Britain, after Guildford. Moreover, if you get a wet week (or, go forbid, fortnight) you would rock through those pretty quickly, you wouldn’t want to go back

Yet families return to Cornwall, year after year. I’m glad they do, for the sake of the Cornish tourist industry, but it still mystifies me
    People often feel blasé about where they're from. But objectively, Cornwall is a special place. To cross the Tamar is to step into another country. Coves and tin mines. The bright, wet, prow of the country, cutting into the sea and covered in salt spray. The heathy, cider-soaked finis terræ. Wonderful.
    The wife, daughters and I are off to Falmouth on Saturday. I cannot wait. We've done Cornwall the last six summers, in the Polzeath area. Always want to try somewhere new but cannot bring ourselves not to have the same holiday as we've just had. Especially now the kids know other kids who go the same week. So this year, we're going twice - once in August, once in June.

Cornwall is definitely better in the sun. But if it rains, you just have to embrace it.

Thankyou! You’re the first person to give me a real sense of why a British family might want to go to Cornwall, repeatedly, for a holiday, despite the weather (tho I suggest you have been a tad lucky with 6 rainy days in 6 years!)

I guess, being Cornish and visiting it all my life and having all my extended family there (and living there a few times for a few months each) I take it for granted, perhaps.

I will now defend Cornwall’s food. If anywhere has had a foodie revolution it is Cornwall. The oysters! Love them
    Maybe I have a different standard of rainy days.
    I don't count, for example, the day when, looking at the forecast, we decided to skip our morning amiable trudge around the farm and get to Holywell Bay sharpish, getting there for 10 and giving us three hours in the surf, the weather fresh, white clouds scudding furiously across a blue sky; not warm, but warm enough to play in the sea and dig channels and fly a kite, before deciding at one we'd got away with enough and going for a massive pub lunch - where it warmed up enough to bask in a beer garden for an hour - before heading onto a playground with a massive multi-person trampoline, which the kids got ten minutes out of before the heavens opened. Absolutely torrential. I have never been so wet while clothed. But by that time it was almost three and we'd had a brilliant day. It rained solidly for another four hours, but an hour of that was getting back to the farm, an hour getting changed and dried, an hour making tea ... before improbably we got a lovely, sparkly fresh evening.
    Now there was probably two weeks worth of rain in that downpour. But I don't consider the day a washout, because we had an absolutely brilliant time outdoors, and the rain could be worked around. I'd happily take a week of days like that.

And the distance - well, I remember @Seant telling me before we went for the first time back in 2016 that the distance was part of the fun of the place; you leave urban behind at Bristol and then there is Somerset, Devon, with brooding, Saturnine Dartmoor, then you cross the Tamar into another world and celebrate with a pint and a pasty. You may still have an hour and a half to go but the journey is part of the excitement of the trip.

Properly excited for Saturday now. A 5am start, as is traditional...

I think SeanT would be very pleased that he gave such apparently good advice

Trouble is you write so eloquently you’ve made me quite homesick, even as i sit here on the starlit and beautiful Epirot coastline, i miss Blighty. I got nostalgic looking at the photos of the new Elizabeth Line, today

It is a bittersweet thing, extended travel. Have a great time in Falmouth

Laura seems to think Starmer and Rayner are guiltier than Boris. Her analysis of Beergate was very damning.

Totally agree on last point, based on the first ten mins or so.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,832

Yeh even the Twitter clip seemed to be an extended montage of Laura close-ups.

I swear I saw a flicker of amusement on her face, too, when it was suggested that drinks started at 4pm.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,184

BBC Tory Bias :lol:

Broadcasting Biased to the Conservatives :lol:

:lol:
    edited May 2022
    Anyway off to watch something.

Really nice to be on here and discuss something other than politics. I should try it more often :wink:
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Thankyou! You’re the first person to give me a real sense of why a British family might want to go to Cornwall, repeatedly, for a holiday, despite the weather (tho I suggest you have been a tad lucky with 6 rainy days in 6 years!)

I guess, being Cornish and visiting it all my life and having all my extended family there (and living there a few times for a few months each) I take it for granted, perhaps.

I don't count, for example, the day when, looking at the forecast, we decided to skip our morning amiable trudge around the farm and get to Holywell Bay sharpish, getting there for 10 and giving us three hours in the surf, the weather fresh, white clouds scudding furiously across a blue sky; not warm, but warm enough to play in the sea and dig channels and fly a kite, before deciding at one we'd got away with enough and going for a massive pub lunch - where it warmed up enough to bask in a beer garden for an hour - before heading onto a playground with a massive multi-person trampoline, which the kids got ten minutes out of before the heavens opened. Absolutely torrential. I have never been so wet while clothed. But by that time it was almost three and we'd had a brilliant day. It rained solidly for another four hours, but an hour of that was getting back to the farm, an hour getting changed and dried, an hour making tea ... before improbably we got a lovely, sparkly fresh evening.
    Now there was probably two weeks worth of rain in that downpour. But I don't consider the day a washout, because we had an absolutely brilliant time outdoors, and the rain could be worked around. I'd happily take a week of days like that.

And the distance - well, I remember @Seant telling me before we went for the first time back in 2016 that the distance was part of the fun of the place; you leave urban behind at Bristol and then there is Somerset, Devon, with brooding, Saturnine Dartmoor, then you cross the Tamar into another world and celebrate with a pint and a pasty. You may still have an hour and a half to go but the journey is part of the excitement of the trip.

Climate has changed markedly in the last 10-15 years. Devon fields are divided by banks = stone walls covered with earth, with trees on top. Till 15 years ago you planted or gapped up the top with small seedling trees in winter, it rained all summer, job done. That no longer applies, there's a summer long drought and 60%+ of them fail to establish.
    Ha, ha.

A journalist expresses surprise that 'wine time' starts at 4pm on a Friday. That is genuine LOL.

The surprise is of course that it didn't start at 11am.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022

It wasn't even a Panorama program, there was no investigate journalism. It was just loads of Laura K runnign around doing taking phone calls and a load of boring interviews with politicial types saying Boris nice guy, bad guy, flawed, etc, and a couple of civil servants saying well yes we got trashed regularly because stressful job and the boss didn't stop us.
    OT this from Australia might be interesting and relevant here (18 minutes)

A Murdoch loss: Dissecting election media
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANeqEi0xcxw
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Exactly this. As someone who has had a majority of his lifetime's holidays in the UK, I cannot think of a single week that was miserable because it was washed entirely out (the odd day when you ventured at the wrong time, yes). The UKs changeability means you might have 1-2 days where you favour indoor things, but full on 8-8 rain in the summer is a relative rarity and you get at least a few dry hours most days.

Ha, ha.

A journalist expresses surprise that 'wine time' starts at 4pm on a Friday. That is genuine LOL.

The surprise is of course that it didn't start at 11am.

It looks more to me as though the surprising thing would be if it ever stopped.

An awful lot of things suddenly made much more sense when I discovered our lords and masters were smashed during the pandemic.
    Apropos of nothing, I just want to put in a word for the Landmark Trust. My wife and I love them, even though our friends think we’re mad.

There’s nothing quite like it outside the UK, I think,

It wasn't even a Panorama program, there was no investigate journalism. It was just loads of Laura K runnign around doing taking phone calls and a load of boring interviews with politicial types saying Boris nice guy, bad guy, flawed, etc, and a couple of civil servants saying well yes we got trashed regularly because stressful job and the boss didn't stop us.
    Yes, it reminded me of "Drop the Dead Donkey".
    I won’t bother seeing the Panorama thing.

But two details stand out from the accompanying promos etc.

1. Coming into the office the next morning to find bottles strewn everywhere and bins overflowing with left-overs.

2. The fact that people who attempted to question whether it was at all wise to party during lockdown were mocked and ridiculed.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878

1. Coming into the office the next morning to find bottles strewn everywhere and bins overflowing with left-overs.

2. The fact that people who attempted to question whether it was at all wise to party during lockdown were mocked and ridiculed.

Point 2 was pretty grim.
    All those newspapers who have been promising heatwave as just around the corner, at very least nice weather for the Jubilee weekend, should be taken into a court room to face a Black Cap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/61572750
    edited May 2022

The staffers came off a lot worse in many respects than Boris. While he acted like a parent telling his kids its ok to a drink and a smoke underage with a couple of mates while they go out and have one for the road with them, the kids raided the offy and invited the whole school year around to have a massive party that got out of control and got into argument with the plod about the noise....then the of course Boris didn't bollox them, just said its ok the next weekend.

I don't think it was pro- Johnson and anti- Starmer. It was this ludicrous fear of partisanship that panics the BBC. The Tories have been very naughty and we have reported it. OMG we have to balance that out. Johnson was a little bit naughty on lots of occasions, but Starmer was very, very naughty at one event. Phew, balance!

She was very gooey eyed about the Great Boris at the start, as was IDS later on.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    Quite worrying that Boris has no idea about the laws he's passing tbh
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    Damp squib. The problem was setting expectations too high.

I don't think it was pro- Johnson and anti- Starmer. It was this ludicrous fear of partisanship that panics the BBC. The Tories have been very naughty and we have reported it. OMG we have to balance that out. Johnson was a little bit naughty on lots of occasions, but Starmer was very, very naughty at one event. Phew, balance!

She was very gooey eyed about the Great Boris at the start, as was IDS later on.
    IDS was surprisingly imo the best political interviewee, giving pluses and minuses with unhurried gravitas.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,978
    edited May 2022
    @dw_politics
    JUST IN: Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder has been officially nominated for a seat on the supervisory board of the Russian state-owned energy company Gazprom.

https://twitter.com/dw_politics/status/1529127380173959168

Schröder claims he turned it down:

https://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2022-05/gerhard-schroeder-verzichtet-auf-nominierung-fuer-gazprom-aufsichtsrat

An hour of my life I won't get back. In the grand scheme of things I don't really think it forced home either of your two points. It was all rather meh. I learned nothing.

Trouble is that sequence matters, and 45 minutes of Boris and the Number 10 team was trumped at the end by Starmer in Durham. And that is what happened in real life as well.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,557
    edited May 2022

Apropos of nothing, I just want to put in a word for the Landmark Trust. My wife and I love them, even though our friends think we’re mad.

There’s nothing quite like it outside the UK, I think,

Very much so. I'm a member.

IDS was surprisingly imo the best political interviewee, giving pluses and minuses with unhurried gravitas.
    Laura:"Will Johnson go?" IDS " He shouldn't"
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,473

it was a very enjoyable light catch up on a ridiculous history. I enjoyed best the anonymous contributor who emphasised, apparently without irony, the importance of 'transparency'.

The stuff about Labour felt like a slightly misplaced filler; but if anything managed to convey, I think with justification, that the No 10 stuff was a systematic effort at trashing the rules by absurd self regarding elites, and Beergate was something of no importance.

@dw_politics
    JUST IN: Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder has been officially nominated for a seat on the supervisory board of the Russian state-owned energy company Gazprom.

https://twitter.com/dw_politics/status/1529127380173959168

Schröder claims he turned it down:

https://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2022-05/gerhard-schroeder-verzichtet-auf-nominierung-fuer-gazprom-aufsichtsrat

Sir John Denham famously begged Charles I not to execute George Wither, 'for so long as Wither lived, Denham could not be accounted the worst poet in England.'

Johnson must be similarly praying for the continued health of Gerhard Schröder.
    edited May 2022
    Deleted
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Thanks for the evocative description, Cookie. I've got to know Cornwall a bit as my very elderly uncle is in a care home in Hayle, near St Ives, and as it's a trek to visit him I've taken the chance to look round a bit. I like St Ives. which mixes scenery with tourism with actually being a place where you can imagine living, which I feel central Penzance gets wrong - it's felt like a tourist trap on a vertiginous hill. He used to live on the outskirts, which was nice enough, and of course the coastline is amazing.

Hayle wins the prize for the most unwelcoming tea shop ever. I looked in and asked for a cuppa.

Assistant: "We don't have tea."
    Me: "But you're a tea shop!"
    Assistant eyes me with silent indifference, as you might look at a seagull dropping.
    Me: "How about coffee, perhaps?"
    Assistant: "We don't have coffee." Pause. "The hot water's broken."
    Me: "Will it be repaired soon?
    Assistant: "Dunno. But there's cans of drink in the cabinet over there."

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,344
    edited May 2022

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared a wartime state of emergency immediately after his new government was installed.

The state of emergency, a new tool Parliament approved earlier on Tuesday, will take effect at midnight and will give the government “maneuvering room and the ability to react immediately” to the fallout from the war in neighboring Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-24/hungary-s-orban-declares-state-of-emergency-over-war-economy

So a "new tool" for that old tool Orban. As 45 and Boris look on enviously.
    Do you seriously believe that Boris is a would be dictator?
    Sorry Femi thinks so :smile:

Trouble is that sequence matters, and 45 minutes of Boris and the Number 10 team was trumped at the end by Starmer in Durham. And that is what happened in real life as well.
    Beergate could well be the bigger story as Johnson survives and Starmer falls.

It shouldn't, but it might.
  • EmptyNesterEmptyNester Posts: 91

ydoethur said:

On the price cap nonsense:

How does it actually work? Do they cap fuel costs, standing charges, or both together?

Because I am being brutally hammered on the standing charge when I leave my fixed rate next month, and that's what's going to be painful for me.

Sadly the standing charges are exempt from any control, price cap or otherwise. The most recent rise was due to the government recouping the money lost when all the other small companies went belly up last year. I think it also includes money for rental of equipment etc.

The standing charges are capped at 45p for electricity and 27p for gas. My supplier has set both at just below the limit, presumably because it was difficult to make it exact when VAT is added. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,978
    Diane Abbott poses with "two heroines of the democratic struggle in the North of Ireland"

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1529155632284188674
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,215
    Boris Johnson is a fucking liar, he denied it at the time, but I knew he was lying.

Revealed: government did encourage Premier League to approve Newcastle takeover

Extensive efforts made to encourage Saudi-led buyout

Prime minister has said government had no role at any point

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/24/government-did-encourage-premier-league-to-approve-saudi-newcastle-takeover
    edited May 2022
    MattW said:

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared a wartime state of emergency immediately after his new government was installed.

The state of emergency, a new tool Parliament approved earlier on Tuesday, will take effect at midnight and will give the government “maneuvering room and the ability to react immediately” to the fallout from the war in neighboring Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-24/hungary-s-orban-declares-state-of-emergency-over-war-economy

So a "new tool" for that old tool Orban. As 45 and Boris look on enviously.
    Do you seriously believe that Boris is a would be dictator?
    Sorry Femi thinks so :smile:

Wrong type of flags...he obviously be much happier with the EU one.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,932

Diane Abbott poses with "two heroines of the democratic struggle in the North of Ireland"

She and Corbyn were always pro Sinn Fein and pro United Ireland
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,841
    So: choice time. Should I take my son (8 years old) to Alton Towers for two days or York for three?

He's never been to either, but I've been to both many times.
    edited May 2022

So: choice time. Should I take my son (8 years old) to Alton Towers for two days or York for three?

York, he'll love The Shambles.

Oh and Jorvik.
    edited May 2022

Well I think the obvious question is does your son really like rollercoasters? And happy to stand in big long lines? Or not really that fussed and hating queuing?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,090

Vikings and steam trains? No contest.....
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,827
    One of the strangest things about all this is the determination of Tory MPs to find excuses for a man who, even if you leave side all his character flaws, is simply rubbish at his job. https://thecritic.co.uk/shapps-is-shocked-shocked/ https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1529088904544100353/photo/1
  • TazTaz Posts: 11,017
    Now the onus is on the management to come up with a fair compromise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61573206
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,335
    geoffw said:

Damp squib. The problem was setting expectations too high.

Also- what's the threshold to make Johnson go?

Bad stuff happened in No 10 on BoJo's watch.
    He... at the very least... hasn't been open and honest about what he knew.

Any other Premier would have gone already.

Given that, we (as a demos) have a problem. I think I sort of get why so many wanted him to stay... He is a rat, but doing necessary desirable things that needed rat-like cunning to achieve.

But having waved through so much bad JuJu since 2019, it's hard to say "thus far, but no further". And reporting more of the same is inevitably a bit of a damp squib.

Vikings and steam trains? No contest.....
    York it has to be. I’ve been to both and as a fifty plus (age not size) I loved them.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,841
    edited May 2022

Well I think the obvious question is does your son really like rollercoasters? And happy to stand in big long lines? Or not really that fussed and hating queuing?
    He loves Gullivers Land, but he's getting a bit old for some of it. But I fear he's a bit too young for most of AT, and it might be better next year.

He *really* loves staying in hotels, but thankfully he things Travellodge's are 'posh'. So it doesn't have to be too expensive...

Edit: and another advantage to York: he can go back to where he ran a marathon in his mum's tum!

(She did a marathon before she realised she was pregnant. In fact, the marathon made her wonder if she was, as she felt a little odd during it.)

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Thanks for the evocative description, Cookie. I've got to know Cornwall a bit as my very elderly uncle is in a care home in Hayle, near St Ives, and as it's a trek to visit him I've taken the chance to look round a bit. I like St Ives. which mixes scenery with tourism with actually being a place where you can imagine living, which I feel central Penzance gets wrong - it's felt like a tourist trap on a vertiginous hill. He used to live on the outskirts, which was nice enough, and of course the coastline is amazing.

Hayle wins the prize for the most unwelcoming tea shop ever. I looked in and asked for a cuppa.

Assistant: "We don't have tea."
    Me: "But you're a tea shop!"
    Assistant eyes me with silent indifference, as you might look at a seagull dropping.
    Me: "How about coffee, perhaps?"
    Assistant: "We don't have coffee." Pause. "The hot water's broken."
    Me: "Will it be repaired soon?
    Assistant: "Dunno. But there's cans of drink in the cabinet over there."

A minister in the making if she had drinks in the cabinet...

Boris Johnson is a fucking liar, he denied it at the time, but I knew he was lying.

Revealed: government did encourage Premier League to approve Newcastle takeover

Extensive efforts made to encourage Saudi-led buyout

Prime minister has said government had no role at any point

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/24/government-did-encourage-premier-league-to-approve-saudi-newcastle-takeover

That won’t lose him any votes north of the Tyne. He can forget the Sunderland seats now.

I think I sort of get why so many wanted him to stay... He is a rat, but doing necessary desirable things that needed rat-like cunning to achieve.

Yes, but as posted upthread, he's not.

If you ignore how terrible a person he is, you can see just how shit he is at his job.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Yes a weird non story.
    I assume it is an envy thing. If I could afford a helicopter I would choose it over using the roads.

I get annoyed with rich people not knowing what to do with their wealth so waste it on diamond encrusted hub caps and the like rather than using their money for useful stuff, but I don't begrudge them buying a big house, boat, helicopter, etc or doing stuff that makes their life easier.
    edited May 2022

He loves Gullivers Land, but he's getting a bit old for some of it. But I fear he's a bit too young for most of AT, and it might be better next year.

He *really* loves staying in hotels, but thankfully he things Travellodge's are 'posh'. So it doesn't have to be too expensive...
    I haven't been to Alton Towers for years, but it always struck me the rides were more aimed at older kids.

I remember doing a ghost walk in York that was a lot of fun.
    There’s a cost of living crisis on, the energy price gap is expected to rise by £800 in October and gov wants to spend £250m on a yacht 🤔 https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1529190523336110080
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,518
    Taz said:

Now the onus is on the management to come up with a fair compromise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61573206

I agree. 89% for strike action, 11% against, on a turnout of 71%, is pretty overwhelming. Even Boris would die for that result. Makes the political views of the union's leaders fairly irrelevant.

Alton Towers are outsourcing their catering services in the next year. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.
    kjh said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Yes a weird non story.
    I assume it is an envy thing. If I could afford a helicopter I would choose it over using the roads.

I get annoyed with rich people not knowing what to do with their wealth so waste it on diamond encrusted hub caps and the like rather than using their money for useful stuff, but I don't begrudge them buying a big house, boat, helicopter, etc or doing stuff that makes their life easier.
    Isn't that just the Mirror chiselling away at their 'out of touch rich bastard Tories' narrative?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    kjh said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Yes a weird non story.

I have made over 700 helicopter flights in my career including one emergency ditching in the Mediterranean and another emergency landing on a platform in Norway. They are noisy, cramped and very uncomfortable and I can safely say that if I never got on another chopper in my life it would not bother me at all.

Or does he like ghost walks? There are some great ones in York.
    ydoethur said:

Or does he like ghost walks? There are some great ones in York.
    Great minds....
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

I haven't been to Alton Towers for years, but it always struck me the rides were more aimed at older kids.

I remember doing a ghost walk in York that was a lot of fun.
    A key thing to consider about Alton Towers is his height - how much would he actually be able to go on?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,392
    Scott_xP said:

Alton Towers are outsourcing their catering services in the next year. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.
    Alton Towers is a fantastic theme park. Oblivion and Nemesis are still great after 20 years.

Oh and Jorvik.
    Aren't you into trains?

National Railway Museum? There are also things like day trips on a steam train form there.
    edited May 2022

kjh said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Yes a weird non story.

I have made over 700 helicopter flights in my career including one emergency ditching in the Mediterranean and another emergency landing on a platform in Norway. They are noisy, cramped and very uncomfortable and I can safely say that if I never got on another chopper in my life it would not bother me at all.
    I've flown on a helicopter twice, last time in 2005.

Pilot was wonderfully honest.

'These things aren't like planes, something goes wrong, and you're fucked.'

Not been keen on using helicopters since.
  • Edinburgh Labour's plans for a minority council administration have been approved by the party's executive committee, meaning it will go to vote at full council on Thursday

Tonight the Lib Dems have confirmed they'll vote for this.

LibDems confirm while supporting Labour - most likely in exchange for 'non political' committee posts - the group will "continue as a robust and constructive opposition party".

Cllr Louise Young: “Where we agree with Labour councillors, we will vote with them...
    8:59 PM · May 24, 2022·Twitter Web App
    Tweet your reply
    Donald Turvill
    @donturvLDR
    ·
    17m
    Replying to
    @donturvLDR
    "Where we disagree and believe they are taking the wrong approach, we will say so and vote accordingly."

Says Lab are "open in recognising some of the mistakes of the past five years" and "have promised to reach out and find consensus with other groups".
    Donald Turvill
    @donturvLDR
    ·
    7m
    SNP furious at the prospect of Lab taking control with 13/63 councillors - leader Adam McVey said such an outcome would "undermine" the election result and force his group, who won most seats (19), into opposition.
    edited May 2022

I detest Corbyn and his acolytes with avengeance. Nonetheless, I am not quite on the same page with you on this point. SF are the biggest single democratically elected party in both the North and the South. If Ian Paisley Senior could work with genuine terrorist McGuinness, what's your problem?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,234
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Had a couple of holidays there as a kid and loved it - and remember it as an unusually warm and sunny place.
    First time we took the car down on the old Motorail service, which seemed an impossibly sophisticated idea - second time the traffic driving down those single carriageway roads was an ordeal.
    edited May 2022
    BBC News - FBI foiled terror plot to kill George W Bush

The suspect, a resident of Ohio, allegedly sought to have Iraqi operatives smuggled into the US from Mexico for the operation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61569650
    MattW said:

Oh and Jorvik.
    Aren't you into trains?

National Railway Museum? There are also things like day trips on a steam train form there.
    I use(d) trains a lot.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,478

Edit: and another advantage to York: he can go back to where he ran a marathon in his mum's tum!

(She did a marathon before she realised she was pregnant. In fact, the marathon made her wonder if she was, as she felt a little odd during it.)
    Yorvik, National Rail Museum, Bettys Tea Rooms. Its a no brainer vs the synthetic fun of a theme park surely.

If you ever take him to Lunnon, stay in the Hilton where you cross the Thames in a private ferry.

(Or did last time I looked)
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

kjh said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Yes a weird non story.

I guess you can have too much of a good thing!

I'm the same with hotels. Having spent so many years visiting 4* and 5* hotels for work that all look the same, when I go on holiday I want a nice pub or B&B and on my cycling trips we found some crackers. My wife on the other hand wants the posh city hotel because she hasn't spent a good part of her life in them.
    🔴 NEW: Railway workers have voted overwhelmingly to strike in a bitter dispute over jobs, pay and conditions, threatening massive disruption to the network in the coming weeks https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/24/rail-workers-vote-overwhelmingly-national-strike/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1653423589-2
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,184
    edited May 2022
    MattW said:

Oh and Jorvik.
    Aren't you into trains?

I'm seriously into trains :)
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,237
    Scott_xP said:

🔴 NEW: Railway workers have voted overwhelmingly to strike in a bitter dispute over jobs, pay and conditions, threatening massive disruption to the network in the coming weeks https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/24/rail-workers-vote-overwhelmingly-national-strike/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1653423589-2

Get out of jail card for Boris if he survives the next week
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    New thread
This discussion has been closed.