Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ahead of the Gray report 2022 moves up in the PM exit betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pensfold said:

Heathener said:

Just discovered that Panorama is on BBC2 at 7pm.

Good job I checked. I thought it was 9pm.

far be it from me to advise TV schedulers but who the hell watches serious political programmes at 7pm - 9pm is the right time with a stiff drink but 7pm is fun after work time
    The Panorama programme would only be worth watching if it had the inside story about the police investigation - which is the definitive version of events.
    Why should the police version be definitive? Surely a first hand "Let me tell you all about it" discursus from an eyewitness, would beat a few responses to a plod questionnaire?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared a wartime state of emergency immediately after his new government was installed.

The state of emergency, a new tool Parliament approved earlier on Tuesday, will take effect at midnight and will give the government “maneuvering room and the ability to react immediately” to the fallout from the war in neighboring Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-24/hungary-s-orban-declares-state-of-emergency-over-war-economy

So a "new tool" for that old tool Orban. As 45 and Boris look on enviously.
    Do you seriously believe that Boris is a would be dictator?
    Your Prime Minister is the kind that takes what he can grab . . . then looks to grab some more.

So impossible to say where his current trajectory re: lawbreaking & etc. could lead. Except that HE is unlikely to be his own governor in this respect.
    Can you give an example of him accruing personal power that doesn't have a precedent among previous PMs?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:
    Not noticeably so when I was booking our fortnight in Cornwall... Not much availability and way more expensive than three years ago. Still cheaper and easier than flying a family of five out to the Med somewhere in July/August. IMHO going on a foreign holiday in the summer is just as mad as going on a UK holiday any other time of the year.
    Serious question, what do you do if/when it rains?

Which it does, in Cornwall. A lot

I don’t understand people who go to Cornwall for their main summer holiday en famille. And I am a loyal Cornishman

It’s a rather sweet place, sublime in a few places, but it is really expensive and… the weather. If I was unlucky enough to have just one main holiday, and kids in tow, I would absolutely want guaranteed sun
    Once again find myself agreeing with you.

Devon and Cornwall and most of the west side of Britain is okay if the weather is lovely. It frequently isn't. It's bloody hard work with a family if it's raining and the roads become clogged as everyone desperately finds something useful to do. Britain is also now extremely expensive.

Holidaying the UK is all very well during a pandemic but you're rolling the dice on the weather.

If it rains in Devon & Cornwall you're fooked. There's only so many times you can visit a Butterfly Farm and Gnome World.
    Tintagel castle, tin mines, the seal sanctuary, Penzance, Truro Cathedral, Flambards,The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tate Gallery St Ives, St Michael's Mount, Minack Theatre, The Eden Project etc. Plenty to do in Cornwall even if the weather is not blazing sunshine or if it is raining. I remember as I spent half my childhood summers there and it was not always sunny enough for the beach
    Bodmin Moor. Have you been up Brown Willy?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Pensfold said:

Those opposed to Boris Johnson wanted the police to investigatethe gatherings at 10 Downing Street.

The police have investigated.

Now the Mayor of London and others want the police to be investigated because they did not give the result those opposed to Boris Johnson wanted.

I'm opposed to Boris Johnson and I was annoyed by the police wading in.
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:
    Not noticeably so when I was booking our fortnight in Cornwall... Not much availability and way more expensive than three years ago. Still cheaper and easier than flying a family of five out to the Med somewhere in July/August. IMHO going on a foreign holiday in the summer is just as mad as going on a UK holiday any other time of the year.

I don’t understand people who go to Cornwall for their main summer holiday en famille. And I am a loyal Cornishman

It’s a rather sweet place, sublime in a few places, but it is really expensive and… the weather. If I was unlucky enough to have just one main holiday, and kids in tow, I would absolutely want guaranteed sun

Devon and Cornwall and most of the west side of Britain is okay if the weather is lovely. It frequently isn't. It's bloody hard work with a family if it's raining and the roads become clogged as everyone desperately finds something useful to do. Britain is also now extremely expensive.

Holidaying the UK is all very well during a pandemic but you're rolling the dice on the weather.

If it rains in Devon & Cornwall you're fooked. There's only so many times you can visit a Butterfly Farm and Gnome World.
    Tintagel castle, tin mines, the seal sanctuary, Penzance, Truro Cathedral, Flambards,The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tate Gallery St Ives, St Michael's Mount, Minack Theatre, The Eden Project etc. Plenty to do in Cornwall even if the weather is not blazing sunshine or if it is raining. I remember as I spent half my childhood summers there and it was not always sunny enough for the beach
    Au contraire...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,321
    IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

THAT bit of Cornwall is absolutely unique, imperious, quasi-Satanic and majestic. World class. The walk to Land’s End from the Minack, Nanjizel, Nanquidno, then the drama of Cape Cornwall and Botallack, oof, then Zennor

Glorious even in the drizzle - but much better in the sun. Not for ten year olds tho. Let alone 5 year olds, or bored teens
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

theakes said:

This is so silly. One mans arrogance and narcistic personality have created it. Any one else would, should or been made to go in November, December 2021. Thisa would have been forgotten after Christmas, instead ............
    How can anyone support suich a man?

@penfold?
    How not Who.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

As @Heathener says, many of those are shite in rain. And Truro Cathedral is probably the most boring Anglican cathedral in Britain, after Guildford. Moreover, if you get a wet week (or, go forbid, fortnight) you would rock through those pretty quickly, you wouldn’t want to go back

Yet families return to Cornwall, year after year. I’m glad they do, for the sake of the Cornish tourist industry, but it still mystifies me
    You're from Cornwall, no?
    People often feel blasé about where they're from. But objectively, Cornwall is a special place. To cross the Tamar is to step into another country. Coves and tin mines. The bright, wet, prow of the country, cutting into the sea and covered in salt spray. The heathy, cider-soaked finis terræ. Wonderful.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

theakes said:

This is so silly. One mans arrogance and narcistic personality have created it. Any one else would, should or been made to go in November, December 2021. Thisa would have been forgotten after Christmas, instead ............
    How can anyone support suich a man?

Because of the alternative
    The old "we need to keep this shit because everyone else is more shit" approach, eh?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,608
    Primaries today in Alabama, Arkansas and Georgia - Plus runoffs in Texas

> Alabama Republican US Senate > will congressman Mo Brooks, picked then dumped by 45, survive to win GOP nomination for seat being vacated by Sen. Richard Shelby (who is backing his former aide instead); winner of the nomination almost certain to be elected in November.

> Arkansas Republican Governor > will 45's (in)famous former press secretary Sarah Sanders win GOP nomination, and go on to capture the governor's office once held by her father, Mike Huckabee? Also well-finance primary challenge to sitting GOP Sen. John Boozman (an improbable surname even for Arkansas).

> Georgia Republican Governor > polling and conventional wisdom has incumbent Brian Kemp more than surviving the Wrath of Trump, indeed, beating 45's hand-picked agent of vengeance, former US Sen. David Perdue, who by all accounts has run a seriously lackluster campaign he should never have undertaken.

More maybe on some other races in Peach State plus Texas runoffs, but duty calls!
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

THAT bit of Cornwall is absolutely unique, imperious, quasi-Satanic and majestic. World class. The walk to Land’s End from the Minack, Nanjizel, Nanquidno, then the drama of Cape Cornwall and Botallack, oof, then Zennor

Glorious even in the drizzle - but much better in the sun. Not for ten year olds tho. Let alone 5 year olds, or bored teens
    I agree there. Pembrokeshire has many more theme parks and kid friendly things, as well as the scenery and history for the more discerning.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

Are they preparing for human sacrifice? Nice day for it indeed!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

Got any better ideas for reducing inflation?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    @FrancisUrquhart

'How about make parasitical lawyers pay more tax.'

Oi, wotchit you.

My daughter's a parasitical lawyer.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

As @Heathener says, many of those are shite in rain. And Truro Cathedral is probably the most boring Anglican cathedral in Britain, after Guildford. Moreover, if you get a wet week (or, go forbid, fortnight) you would rock through those pretty quickly, you wouldn’t want to go back

Yet families return to Cornwall, year after year. I’m glad they do, for the sake of the Cornish tourist industry, but it still mystifies me
    People often feel blasé about where they're from. But objectively, Cornwall is a special place. To cross the Tamar is to step into another country. Coves and tin mines. The bright, wet, prow of the country, cutting into the sea and covered in salt spray. The heathy, cider-soaked finis terræ. Wonderful.
    I am Cornish, and it is nice to hear these sentiments, and I am proud of my homeland, my Granite Kingdom. And my family goes back Cornish - proper Cornish - for 700 years at least - you should see the names in my family tree. Trezise, Skewes, Moyle, Polglaze, gottem all

And yes there is a change in the air when you cross the Tamar. I remember it from childhood holidays when we would drive down from Herefordshire -with my Cornish parents yearning for home (it seemed to take DAYS) and finally we’d cross into Cornwall and suddenly everything was poorer but prettier and certainly more poetic. My Mum and Dad would start singing And Shall Trelawny Die in the car and me and my sister would tell them to shut up. I am glad it is part of the magical pageant that is Britain

Still wouldn’t take a family there for summer hols tho
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited May 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

Looks like a good party, but they may just be working late.

Perhaps Sue Gray can tell us.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I am Cornish, and it is nice to hear these sentiments, and I am proud of my homeland, my Granite Kingdom. And my family goes back Cornish - proper Cornish - for 700 years at least - you should see the names in my family tree. Trezise, Skewes, Moyle, Polglaze, gottem all

And yes there is a change in the air when you cross the Tamar. I remember it from childhood holidays when we would drive down from Herefordshire -with my Cornish parents yearning for home (it seemed to take DAYS) and finally we’d cross into Cornwall and suddenly everything was poorer but prettier and certainly more poetic. My Mum and Dad would start singing And Shall Trelawny Die in the car and me and my sister would tell them to shut up. I am glad it is part of the magical pageant that is Britain

No, you took them to Wick instead
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

That's Show of Hands, outstanding folk rock band. Was very slightly disappointed cos thought the support was Seth Lakeman, turned out to be Geoff Lakeman (his dad)
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Cornishman's revenge?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

And she LOVED it. Not Wick, but far north Scotland

It is another magical bit of the wonderful island of Britain. Even if we have shite weather
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Have topped up on Boris surviving 2022. Partly I'm confident, partly I'd be happy for him to go.

Reckon I've gone a bit early though, I'd imagine Wed/Thurs might be the peak before nothing happens and his price drifts again next week.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

Can't see Johnson anywhere, so if they are they've chosen the wrong victim.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

And she LOVED it. Not Wick, but far north Scotland

It is another magical bit of the wonderful island of Britain. Even if we have shite weather
    I hope you took her to the Whaligoe Steps. That, and Duncansby Head are the best things in the area.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Minack in nice weather

Got any better ideas for reducing inflation?
    All for deflating inflation. But NOT at cost of increasing the global carbon "foot"print!

On the other hand IF you're proposing a seaside Soylent Green processing / inflation reduction facility . . .
  • Options
    On the price cap nonsense:

How does it actually work? Do they cap fuel costs, standing charges, or both together?

Because I am being brutally hammered on the standing charge when I leave my fixed rate next month, and that's what's going to be painful for me.
  • Options
    Panorama Now
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    The problem with Cornwall is that it’s so bloody far from London. Epecially if (coming from East London), you’ve got to get around or through the metropolis first.

It’s not worth the harassment.

It’s quicker, cheaper and sunnier to get to the Costa Brava, and the food is better too.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

The wife, daughters and I are off to Falmouth on Saturday. I cannot wait. We've done Cornwall the last six summers, in the Polzeath area. Always want to try somewhere new but cannot bring ourselves not to have the same holiday as we've just had. Especially now the kids know other kids who go the same week. So this year, we're going twice - once in August, once in June.

Maybe we've been lucky - but in six years we've had fewer than six rainy days.
    Maybe being from Manchester I have a different standard of what a rainy day is.

Cornwall is definitely better in the sun. But if it rains, you just have to embrace it.

And some years, we've tried France. And it's rained. And that really is shit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

How does it actually work? Do they cap fuel costs, standing charges, or both together?

Because I am being brutally hammered on the standing charge when I leave my fixed rate next month, and that's what's going to be painful for me.

Sadly the standing charges are exempt from any control, price cap or otherwise. The most recent rise was due to the government recouping the money lost when all the other small companies went belly up last year. I think it also includes money for rental of equipment etc.

• Options

The problem with Cornwall is that it’s so bloody far from London. Epecially if (coming from East London), you’ve got to get around or through the metropolis first.

It’s quicker, cheaper and sunnier to get to the Costa Brava, and the food is better too.

If you think about it, that's a good thing
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,428
    edited May 2022
    *Australian Election polling update

What we considered the rouge poll in the final batch, resolves Lib 34 Lab 31, their lowest % for ages trailing by 3 looks to have been the most accurate.

Spring sprung up for a rare visit to give me some about my negativity for Labor in the final week of the campaign - unless Spring was sure Labor would finish up 3 percentage point behind on 33 to Lib 36 in first preference, then I feel exonerated. Labor lost this election on 1pp despite not trailing on 1pp polling graph for nearly 2 years. Labor haven’t gained many seats at all in this election, it currently shows as net +8.

To put that +8 into context, I understand the teal independents, who gained around 7, are centrists type greens who have done well in liberal seats. If I am right, the liberals have two front to fight to win power back, to take teal seats and Labor seats, in political betting terms a lab > Lib swing may not be enough with no teal > Lib swing. In other words, to sum up as Australians would, those teals could be a right bugger for liberal election comeback.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, Sam Coates looks like an incredible tw@t doing that.
    Johnson Fanbois lining up with likes there....
    And blithering Johnson haters arguing Coates looks untwatlike. And making themselves twats in the process.
    Bellowing gotcha questions is stupid. But demonstrates that all of the news organisations can smell the blood and are after their own kill. Its not called the press "pack" for nothing, they will savage anyone they catch.

Anyway, I did enjoy the "did you deliberately lie" question thrown at Simon Clarke. Because I assume he was briefed by the No10 Press Office. Who knew the truth about what he was told to lie about. Because they were there and confessed so by lunchtime.

So ok, bellowed isn't great. But a valid question asked.
    It isn't an 'asked' question. The targets probably cannot even hear it well - remember, his mic is next to him, and they're at the other side of the street, concentrating on other things - namely non-cretins shouting inanities at them from twenty metres away.

Coates was being a cretin.
  • Options

Wait a second.. harassment!? Did someone touch you in the Mousehole?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

It’s true that Cornwall wouldn’t be Cornwall if it were closer.

I am venting because some very good friends of mine are obsessed with it and go three or four times a year, rain or shine. As a result they pretty much never go anywhere else, even though it is a demonstrable faff with kids.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Or straight out invite you to Feock?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Have you ever been there? 😆
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Worse. I had a tangle with Westward Ho, and someone tickled my Tintagel.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited May 2022

What we considered the rouge poll in the final batch, resolves Lib 34 Lab 31, their lowest % for ages trailing by 3 looks to have been the most accurate.

Spring sprung up for a rare visit to give me some about my negativity for Labor in the final week of the campaign - unless Spring was sure Labor would finish up 3 percentage point behind on 33 to Lib 36 in first preference, then I feel exonerated. Labor lost this election on 1pp despite not trailing on 1pp polling graph for nearly 2 years. Labor haven’t gained many seats at all in this election, it currently shows as net +8.

To put that +8 into context, I understand the teal independents, who gained around 7, are centrists type greens who have done well in liberal seats. If I am right, the liberals have two front to fight to win power back, to take teal seats and Labor seats, in political betting terms a lab > Lib swing may not be enough with no teal > Lib swing. In other words, to sum up as Australians would, those teals could be a right bugger for liberal election comeback.

Indeed. And the Independents won't have a record in government to defend. They can literally put forward any popular policy they like.
    And different ones tailored to their electorates. They're going to be a bastard to shift. They'll pick up the vast majority of transfers too.
    Especially if the Libs double down on climate denial.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062

Farooq said:

I am venting because some very good friends of mine are obsessed with it and go three or four times a year, rain or shine. As a result they pretty much never go anywhere else, even though it is a demonstrable faff with kids.
    It’s easier than the Hamptons or Vermont
  • Options
    The other thing is that Cornwall is a LOT like New Zealand, but much smaller and pokier.

I miss the vastness, you don’t get that in Cornwall, although you do in Brittany I think.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Teal independents themselves are upscale liberal women who kicked back against the blokey, Evangelical turn of the Liberal Party, and many are from a Liberal Party background themselves. Their voters may well be open to climate change policies, largely because high-cost fuel would take a smaller chunk out of their disposable income than low-average income folks, but the causes of the teal independents are heavily overdetermined.
  • Options

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared a wartime state of emergency immediately after his new government was installed.

The state of emergency, a new tool Parliament approved earlier on Tuesday, will take effect at midnight and will give the government “maneuvering room and the ability to react immediately” to the fallout from the war in neighboring Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-24/hungary-s-orban-declares-state-of-emergency-over-war-economy

So a "new tool" for that old tool Orban. As 45 and Boris look on enviously.
    Do you seriously believe that Boris is a would be dictator?
    Your Prime Minister is the kind that takes what he can grab . . . then looks to grab some more.

So impossible to say where his current trajectory re: lawbreaking & etc. could lead. Except that HE is unlikely to be his own governor in this respect.
    Can you give an example of him accruing personal power that doesn't have a precedent among previous PMs?
    Luxury wallpapering of personal quarters in return for influence peddled? Though can think of some prior pretty-close examples, such as Cherie Blair & her Bristol house-hunting or whatever it was. Think you'd still have to go back to the Regency or thereabouts to equal BJ among PMs on this front.

However, your question is a very good one, and deserves more thought than above. Fact is, I've distrusted his political ethics & style for a LONG time, and he's yet to disappoint my negative perceptions. Or ceased to be amazed by his incredible (in more ways than one) public persona, communication and political manipulation skills.

Though I do like his dog. AND that he led in the West for the defense of Ukraine from Putin's latest invasion.

And will try to work up more examples of what I mean re: Johnson's tendency toward Lord Acton's trajectory.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062

Farooq said:

Worse. I had a tangle with Westward Ho, and someone tickled my Tintagel.
    Le Mont San Michel?
  • Options

Farooq said:

It’s easier than the Hamptons or Vermont
    I have never been to the Hamptons. I’m not especially minded to go. We’re going upstate this weekend, and will be in Maine in summer.

I do like New England.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Have you ever been there? 😆
    Yes, it's the county I've probably spent the most time in without actually living there. I've mounted Brown Willy, I've delved into St Agnes's slippery cove. I've seen lizards in the Eden Project, and found Eden at Lizard Point. I put jam on before the cream. Je suis Sir Humphry Davy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

Better with North Norfolk from that bit of the country. Burnham or Holkolm.

The "Far East" as it is known in my city.
  • Options

The other thing is that Cornwall is a LOT like New Zealand, but much smaller and pokier.

I miss the vastness, you don’t get that in Cornwall, although you do in Brittany I think.

Having been to both, I cannot see the resemblance. Malborough sounds are more like Scotland in perfect weather.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BBC News - Cost of living: Government plan to help households could come in days
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61572226
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    This Panorama is all over the place.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Teal independents themselves are upscale liberal women who kicked back against the blokey, Evangelical turn of the Liberal Party, and many are from a Liberal Party background themselves. Their voters may well be open to climate change policies, largely because high-cost fuel would take a smaller chunk out of their disposable income than low-average income folks, but the causes of the teal independents are heavily overdetermined.
    Climate 2000 sponsored 20 House of Reps candidates, 10 winning election, six by beating Liberals including former Treasurer - a OZ version of Profumo '97 because it knocks him out of running to be next Leader of the Liberal Part & the Coalition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_200
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

I live in Dorset, and it's bloody far from here too.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Better with North Norfolk from that bit of the country. Burnham or Holkolm.

The "Far East" as it is known in my city.
    Suffolk is nice.
    The Weald has deep, mysterious pockets still.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Having been to both, I cannot see the resemblance. Malborough sounds are more like Scotland in perfect weather.
    Similar climate.
    NZ is like Scotland, Cornwall and parts of Italy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    My friends and colleagues are really starting to get frightened about the cost of living. It's starting to bite.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

I live in Dorset, and it's bloody far from here too.
    I stayed in a cottage in Cornwall one summer and in the cottage next door were a family from Wiltshire which I thought rather unadventurous of them.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

BBC News - Cost of living: Government plan to help households could come in days

Will be amusing to see how they rebrand the return of £20 UC uplift and a windfall tax as Tory ideas, but not as amusing as seeing the pb regs flip flop to support the policies they have said are nonsensical and unaffordable for the last few months.
  • Options

My friends and colleagues are really starting to get frightened about the cost of living. It's starting to bite.

A friend rang me up this morning to rant about it and the various strategies she is employing to cut back.

It’s quite scary. The quality of life for most people is in decline.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited May 2022

Depends, in 2013 the ultra conservative populist Tony Abbott won the election with 90 seats. So even if his protégé, the equally right-wing Peter Dutton, as is almost certain now becomes Liberal leader he could win 83 seats and the next general election even if he wins back not a single affluent urban seat lost to the Teal Independents provided he won all the suburban, rural and small town seats Abbott won. As you say that task is not impossible, Labor actually gained barely more new seats at the election than the Independents did.

In any case going back to a moderate, centrist, fiscally conservative, pro slash emissions and socially liberal ticket as Malcolm Turnbull ran on in 2016 when he was Liberal leader is not on offer as the Crown Prince heir apparent of the moderate Liberal Turnbull wing, Josh Frydenberg, himself lost his seat to an Independent
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,343

This Panorama is all over the place.

No mention of Churchill replacing Chamberlain at the height of WW2.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265

Will be amusing to see how they rebrand the return of £20 UC uplift and a windfall tax as Tory ideas, but not as amusing as seeing the pb regs flip flop to support the policies they have said are nonsensical and unaffordable for the last few months.
    £20 note is the new 'look, squirrel' on the day Sue Gray finally reports it seems.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

A friend rang me up this morning to rant about it and the various strategies she is employing to cut back.

I was talking to another parent on the way back from school, and he talked about obsessively watching the gas and electric meters, and only using gas and electric when it's really needed. They're rather hard up at the best of times, and they're really worried about how they're going to cope with three kids at home (two more grown), including one who is disabled.
  • Options
    The worst thing about Cornwall is the traffic and crowding. in the school holidays. In part it is the problem of roads leading into a funnel. Shoulder seasons are much nicer there.

Even in the school holidays the Isle of Wight is unhurried and less hassle.
  • Options

£20 note is the new 'look, squirrel' on the day Sue Gray finally reports it seems.

That will be silly for it will be drowned out and they won’t get a bounce from it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The #10 staffers are coming off worse than Boris in a way from this Panorama.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,198

I was talking to another parent on the way back from school, and he talked about obsessively watching the gas and electric meters, and only using gas and electric when it's really needed. They're rather hard up at the best of times, and they're really worried about how they're going to cope with three kids at home (two more grown), including one who is disabled.
    And it's going to get really bad Q4 when it gets cold and there is another gas and electricity increase 😡😡😡😡😡
  • Options
    Is it worth my watching the Panorama thing a little later?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I would say no. There is nothing we didn't know. Boris popped into some events, but the staffers were rat arsed ar every opportunity and now trying to say well he never said no.

As i said was the case from the start, Boris clearly nod nod wink wink make sure you destress chaps.

Then half the program has been about Boris background / character and Ukraine.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sadly the standing charges are exempt from any control, price cap or otherwise. The most recent rise was due to the government recouping the money lost when all the other small companies went belly up last year. I think it also includes money for rental of equipment etc.

Then it's an even dafter idea than it looked. Which is actually saying quite something.

I can manage my fuel costs, but not my standing charge. Plus, I don't actually use that much fuel so I'm getting doubly clobbered. Finally, it discourages responsible energy use.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Pensfold said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

In the driving rain? With children?

I love the west country moors but there are limits.
  • Options

no

Except it's a useful recap. Seeing the coverage of Munira Mirza resigning. Complete omigodfest then, now: who tf is or was Munira Mirza? Jack Doyle?
  • Options

One of my colleagues was very unhappy, and noted that on top of everything else that it's not exactly making it easier for her to save up for a deposit.

And teachers aren't exactly on bad money.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One of my colleagues was very unhappy, and noted that on top of everything else that it's not exactly making it easier for her to save up for a deposit.

And teachers aren't exactly on bad money.
    Depends if it causes house prices to collapse too
  • Options

Splashing more money around? I thought the idea was to reduce inflation, not increase it.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    53m
    Boris Johnson believed & believes his conduct at these events fell within the rules. The police only disagree with his assessment re his birthday. Given the police agree with what he said, it's silly to pretend Boris was "obviously lying".

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1529158182907564034

===

So, basically, the argument is that he had not a fucking clue what the laws he was signing off on meant in detail or how they impacted on the most basic of human interactions - like having a drink after work with mates.

Literally, no idea what the rest of the country was doing thanks to his own legislation.

So - he's a liar or he's the biggest idiot to ever sit in the cabinet room.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

The worst thing about Cornwall is the traffic and crowding. in the school holidays. In part it is the problem of roads leading into a funnel. Shoulder seasons are much nicer there.

Even in the school holidays the Isle of Wight is unhurried and less hassle.

Yep and I'd like to pick up on @Leon's comment about Truro cathedral. I've been there for a friend's ordination and at other times and it is indeed a very dull building. I cannot imagine driving an hour an up the A30 from Penzance in driving rain to take my then young kids around it.

The Minack is indeed glorious. IF you have lovely weather. If you don't it is godawful.

Personally, and I realise this bit may be more controversial, I find The Eden Project rather a damp squib. It's okay but not as massive as I expected and you're hard pressed even to make half a day of it. Unless you're stuck in a queue of other irritable parents in which case you've every chance of making a full day of the "experience".

Cornwall in summer in rain with children is very trying, especially so if you've ever been to the cheaper comparison of a holiday WITH SUN in the Med.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    53m
    Boris Johnson believed & believes his conduct at these events fell within the rules. The police only disagree with his assessment re his birthday. Given the police agree with what he said, it's silly to pretend Boris was "obviously lying".

===

So, basically, the argument is that he had not a fucking clue what the laws he was signing off on meant in detail or how they impacted on the most basic of human interactions - like having a drink after work with mates.

Literally, no idea what the rest of the country was doing thanks to his own legislation.

I think that's a false dichotomy. I would go for 'the bastard's both.'
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ukranian Ambassador says he is now in talks with the UK government who are considering sending Royal Navy warships to the Black Sea to break the Russian blockade of its ports

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1529168395027075073?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    53m

===

Worse than that, he did not just say that his own conduct followed the rules, he thought everyone at number 10 obeyed the rules at all times. Or at least told us he did.

Does Lilico seriously believe him on that too?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ukranian Ambassador says he is now in talks with the UK government who are considering sending Royal Navy warships to the Black Sea to break the Russian blockade

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1529168395027075073?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

Can we even do that? I thought the Bosphorus was shut to warships in wartime?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Splashing more money around? I thought the idea was to reduce inflation, not increase it.
    I remember noting last year that Biden chief advisor saying that splashing money around, even if not well targeted was fine because the west had solved inflation and any blip would be transitory.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

The wife, daughters and I are off to Falmouth on Saturday. I cannot wait. We've done Cornwall the last six summers, in the Polzeath area. Always want to try somewhere new but cannot bring ourselves not to have the same holiday as we've just had. Especially now the kids know other kids who go the same week. So this year, we're going twice - once in August, once in June.

Cornwall is definitely better in the sun. But if it rains, you just have to embrace it.

Thankyou! You’re the first person to give me a real sense of why a British family might want to go to Cornwall, repeatedly, for a holiday, despite the weather (tho I suggest you have been a tad lucky with 6 rainy days in 6 years!)

I guess, being Cornish and visiting it all my life and having all my extended family there (and living there a few times for a few months each) I take it for granted, perhaps.

I will now defend Cornwall’s food. If anywhere has had a foodie revolution it is Cornwall. The oysters! Love them
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,203

But…but…parties

Keep an eye on oil. Very little spare capacity, demand for China coming back on stream once they are over lockdowns. Could easily be $180 a barrel later this year.
  • Options
    Rishi pays £10,000 to hire a helicopter to take him to a Tory gala dinner

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529150381489803265?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ
  • Options
    Lib Dems must be loving this Panorama....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,203
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529150381489803265?s=20&t=XVodDaSmUg0hl_W-_d_WKQ

It’s his money. So what .
  • Options
    Taz said:

But…but…parties

Keep an eye on oil. Very little spare capacity, demand for China coming back on stream once they are over lockdowns. Could easily be $180 a barrel later this year.
    Which may go some way towards explaining the sudden desire on the part of many younger people to work from home.

Especially if parents are paying for heating...
  • Options

RobD said:

I remember noting last year that Biden chief advisor saying that splashing money around, even if not well targeted was fine because the west had solved inflation and any blip would be transitory.
    Well it still might go down again in a year or so, if we are lucky.
  • Options
    Oh and a venue to add to @Leon's excellent list: Piedmont in northern Italy. Absolutely glorious largely forgotten region with the most stunning scenery, superb food, beautiful towns, glorious coastline with beaches. And SUN.

It's also easily drivable from southern Britain. Go down the east side of France through the Vosges and Jura, over the Alps. An incredible drive that is a million times better than the North Coast 500 without the traffic.

There are places on that route that will make you weep with pleasure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Well it still might go down again in a year or so, if we are lucky.
    Bloody hope so.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

It’s his money. So what .
    is that the going rate for a helicopter trip?

I'm in the wrong business...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Ukranian Ambassador says he is now in talks with the UK government who are considering sending Royal Navy warships to the Black Sea to break the Russian blockade

I assume Boris would use submarines too to sink any obstacles in their path if he needed to move the narrative on from partygate
  • Options

I would say no. There is nothing we didn't know. Boris popped into some events, but the staffers were rat arsed ar every opportunity and now trying to say well he never said no.

As i said was the case from the start, Boris clearly nod nod wink wink make sure you destress chaps. Then half the program has been about Boris background and Ukraine.
    But that’s the point in itself. Whilst Shapps and Daily Mail try to distract from the actual crime with how many minutes and seconds Boris was actually there, he made the law, looked at us eye to eye in the press conferences to observe it, but instigated or turned blind eye to downing street law breaking he should have stopped. That’s the first resignation matter. The second is he stood up at dispatch box fully away he had committed the first resignation matter, and lied about it happening.

I’m still convinced the police will announce they hadn’t seen those photos, that it’s new and significant evidence requiring them to reopen the case to take another look at that one. This second FPN for Boris may not even be the end of it either, the second party that evening where the rat arsed Boris danced the night away in a ABBA wig likely to be his third.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Then it's an even dafter idea than it looked. Which is actually saying quite something.

I can manage my fuel costs, but not my standing charge. Plus, I don't actually use that much fuel so I'm getting doubly clobbered. Finally, it discourages responsible energy use.
    I totally agree.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

As i said was the case from the start, Boris clearly nod nod wink wink make sure you destress chaps. Then half the program has been about Boris background and Ukraine.
    But that’s the point in itself. Whilst Shapps and Daily Mail try to distract from the actual crime with how many minutes and seconds Boris was actually there, he made the law, looked at us eye to eye in the press conferences to observe it, but instigated or turned blind eye to downing street law breaking he should have stopped
    That has been my point from the start.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I assume Boris would use submarines too to sink any obstacles in their path if he needed to move the narrative on from partygate
    I do hope that was said in a tone of sarcastic disapproval.

I mean, surely nobody would support Johnson bombing Turkey to distract attention from his party woes?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    Panorama should have been 30 min not an hour. The new stuff got swamp by stuff we all know.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I will now defend Cornwall’s food. If anywhere has had a foodie revolution it is Cornwall. The oysters! Love them
    Not cheap though.

Cancale is the place I'm most fond of for oysters. Sit on the harbour wall, in the sun, and soak up the French atmosphere. C'est magnifique la.
  • Options

RobD said:

Giving £20 to those on benefits and UC is not going to make any noticeable difference to inflation.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I do hope that was said in a tone of sarcastic disapproval.

I mean, surely nobody would support Johnson bombing Turkey to distract attention from his party woes?
    Why would he need to bomb Turkey, a NATO ally who would let fellow NATO ships through?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

Panorama should have been 30 min not an hour. The new stuff got swamp by stuff we all know.

There isn't really a program here. There is a couple of interviews the important quotes from which have already been reported, the rest is all filler and bringing Labour into the story.
This discussion has been closed.