Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ukraine war as seen from Estonia – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2022 in General
imageThe Ukraine war as seen from Estonia – politicalbetting.com

(This was posted on the previous thread from a longstanding PBer)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137
    Evening all!

I think this is a very useful perspective; it goes to the question "what next"?

And if Russia attempts to lower the intensity of the war, does Ukraine follow? Or do their allies continue to supply them with weapons to maintain their aggressive defence?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2022
    First? No... but the previous post took a long time to show up.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    Cicero, that's Tallinn 'em!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    I'm not sure that the Russians will reduce the intensity of the conflict. I think that is up to Putin - short of him getting kicked out.

In turn he seems to have gone Full Extra Tonto - and I see little sign of rationality in what he is doing.

If he actually believes that he is in an existential fight - why give up? why not go further and further?
  • Options

I'm not sure that the Russians will reduce the intensity of the conflict. I think that is up to Putin - short of him getting kicked out.

In turn he seems to have gone Full Extra Tonto - and I see little sign of rationality in what he is doing.

If he actually believes that he is in an existential fight - why give up? why not go further and further?

What if a combination of sabotage, failures, and combat losses force them into another change of pace/direction?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I mostly ignored the speculation a couple of months ago that Putin is ill, but the latest video of him gripping the table doesn't look good for him. He looks stiff, and grey, and bloated. I hope he's well enough to suffer a long time.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Yep not great. Terminal 7 I take it?
    Terminal 8. It’s like an aspiring provincial airport in South Africa
    Ah yes. Same crap.

Terrible airport and terrible to get to. In keeping with terrible American airlines.

As for South Africa, I've flown from most of them. King Shaka International at Durban is probably my pick: not a bad airport at all. You can fly there direct from the UAE with Emirates which adds an arguably better option than Jo'burg.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168

There is some speculation that, in the absence of victory by May 9th, the date will instead serve as the time when war is formally declared and a full mobilisation ordered. This has the potential to provide Russia with sufficient manpower to sustain the war for some considerable time.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon, if you haven't yet done so get yourself onto a Q-Suite Business with Qatar Airways.

Nothing, not even Singapore Airlines, will ever be quite the same for you again. Dodgy country, utterly outstanding airline.

(And both amusing and irritating that despite being in OneWorld, Qatar won't let riff raff business passengers from other airlines use their top Business lounges. Only their own true business pax are allowed in.)
  • Options
    mwadams said:

What if a combination of sabotage, failures, and combat losses force them into another change of pace/direction?
    Escalate - call in more reserves in T55s with warn out tracks, and obsolete BMP carriers to burn to death in.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited April 2022
    I was listening to a Finnish Social Democratic MP on the radio earlier. He was in Stockholm to inform the ongoing Swedish parliamentary enquiry into NATO membership (incidentally, now being hurried through and reporting mid-May not end-May).

He is personally skeptical about Finnish membership, but he said that it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that Finland will apply to join in the very near future. He said parliamentary support there is overwhelming. That will almost certainly heavily affect the debate in Sweden.
  • Options

There is some speculation that, in the absence of victory by May 9th, the date will instead serve as the time when war is formally declared and a full mobilisation ordered. This has the potential to provide Russia with sufficient manpower to sustain the war for some considerable time.
    Large number of untrained conscripts to Die! Gloriously! For! The! Motherland!....

Yeah - Full Tonto Squared.

Funny how in a few weeks, that comment has gone from "Defence Sec. loses plot, needs to be fired" to "Called it".

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Good to hear some perspectives from elsewhere.

Would be interesting to see how the smaller nations of the EU view the performance of France and Germany in 'defending' Europe. Both seem to have been fairly useless so far.
  • Options
    R4 PM was a nightmare for the Conservative Party today. The embarrassment of Conservative MPs is palpable: they are hating every minute of this. Governing should be fun, but it is clearly torture for them. Breaking point must be close.
  • Options

R4 PM was a nightmare for the Conservative Party today. The embarrassment of Conservative MPs is palpable: they are hating every minute of this. Governing should be fun, but it is clearly torture for them. Breaking point must be close.

They deserve it. They could and should have dealt with this in the winter.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

What were they thinking? Just hoping that “something will turn up”? It rarely does. Politicians shape their own destinies.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

Surely they must see now that Johnson has served his purpose from their narrow perspective: Brexit got done; Corbyn was kept out of power; decent majority achieved.

We are constantly told that the relationship between Johnson and Tory party is entirely transactional. Time to realise the terms of trade have changed?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    mwadams said:

Evening all!

I think this is a very useful perspective; it goes to the question "what next"?

And if Russia attempts to lower the intensity of the war, does Ukraine follow? Or do their allies continue to supply them with weapons to maintain their aggressive defence?

Good questions. I suspect one key factor will be if Russia is holding any land gained this year. The additional perspective is the state of the Russian economy and also whether any attempt is made to remove Putin.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

It is not appropriate for us to Reval in puns.
    The Narva this guy.
  • Options

I was listening to a Finnish Social Democratic MP on the radio earlier. He was in Stockholm to inform the ongoing Swedish parliamentary enquiry into NATO membership (incidentally, now being hurried through and reporting mid-May not end-May).

He is personally skeptical about Finnish membership, but he said that it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that Finland will apply to join in the very near future. He said parliamentary support there is overwhelming. That will almost certainly heavily affect the debate in Sweden.

Then why is he skeptical about Finnish membership?
  • Options
    Excellent stuff from our man/woman on the ground @Cicero
  • Options
    Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.
  • Options
    What an utter waste of an 80 seat majority.

Labour majority surely underpriced now
  • Options

Overwhelming support does not equal unanimous support. Parliamentary unanimity in any legislature is rare. He did not expound his own reservations, but Nordic media is full of Pros n Cons type articles and shows. It’s a hot topic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

The Narva this guy.
    Lett it go.
  • Options

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

Anything from Macron over 55% and I win. If he goes over 60% I win big.

There was some seriously good value. At least, I think so :smiley:
  • Options

Large number of untrained conscripts to Die! Gloriously! For! The! Motherland!....

Yeah - Full Tonto Squared.

Funny how in a few weeks, that comment has gone from "Defence Sec. loses plot, needs to be fired" to "Called it".
    Well, Russia does have a semblance of a reserve force, formed of people who have previous military experience, and presumably a larger number of people who have been conscripts in previous years and could be conscripted again. So there is quite a lot of manpower potential with some degree of previous military experience.

Probably enough to work through all of their usable equipment stockpiles. No idea what sort of dent it would make in their stocks of artillery shells - but a lot of dying to be done, on both sides, if the will is there.
  • Options

Nah! Lab Maj 4/1 is a clear Lay.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

The Narva this guy.
    Lett it go.
    But I'm enjoying being Siili.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

BBC News earlier trying to talk it up as a close contest.
  • Options

Farooq said:

What were they thinking? Just hoping that “something will turn up”? It rarely does. Politicians shape their own destinies.
    They worried too much about who would win the contest to replace Johnson. One problem at a time.
  • Options

Farooq said:

They worried too much about who would win the contest to replace Johnson. One problem at a time.
    I can see that Rees-Mogg would be a fire/frying pan scenario, but leaving aside the obvious morons, most of the top 20 names would be infinitely better than the winner of England’s Biggest Fattest Liar Contest.
  • Options
    BETTING POST

Although Macron's odds have shortened phenomenally, there might still be some value. More shortly.

55-59.99% is now the favourite at 4/6. That's in from the 7/4 I got at the start of this week.
    60-64.99% has come in from 14/1 to 7/2. Blimey!!!

But, whereas 65%+ was 40/1 that has now drifted out to 50/1. Do I think this is likely? Not really. But 50/1 when today he polled 57.5%? Might be worth a flutter. It's really not likely but it's not 50/1 unlikely.

I win above 55% and I think he is going to be close to 60% which was my forecast all through.
  • Options

Farooq said:

That contest that's almost completely controlled by them?
    When did Conservative MPs get so very very lost?
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak drifting again: now 13/1 for Next Con Leader.

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1
  • Options

Farooq said:

I can see that Rees-Mogg would be a fire/frying pan scenario, but leaving aside the obvious morons, most of the top 20 names would be infinitely better than the winner of England’s Biggest Fattest Liar Contest.
    Though I guess if Sunak had become leader in January only to be fined in April, it would have been somewhat unfortunate for the Tories, so you can envisage scenarios that are worse than the status quo.
  • Options

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Baker.
    I always hear people saying he's into bread.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Farooq said:

Though I guess if Sunak had become leader in January only to be fined in April, it would have been somewhat unfortunate for the Tories, so you can envisage scenarios that are worse than the status quo.
    Did he fib to Pmt? But the green cards would have been red cards, so to speak.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516

Agree. Unless you can compile a list of 126-130 seats that Labour will win and don't currently hold, + be sure they will keep all their current seats, + be sure that Labour's left won't succeed in losing the election again, + be sure that neither can Boris reconstruct himself nor the Tories find out the Jeremy Hunt/Tom Tugendhat can win the odds for Labour getting 326 seats are nearer 20/1.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    Heathener said:

BETTING POST

Although Macron's odds have shortened phenomenally, there might still be some value. More shortly.

55-59.99% is now the favourite at 4/6. That's in from the 7/4 I got at the start of this week.
    60-64.99% has come in from 14/1 to 7/2. Blimey!!!

But, whereas 65%+ was 40/1 that has now drifted out to 50/1. Do I think this is likely? Not really. But 50/1 when today he polled 57.5%? Might be worth a flutter. It's really not likely but it's not 50/1 unlikely.

I win above 55% and I think he is going to be close to 60% which was my forecast all through.

I do like 'betting posts'. I can't recall quite who it was that used to make them years ago - in the early days for me on PB.

I'm not sure about the detail (well I am sure and being polite), but the intent is first class.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

I’d say it’s a two person race...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Baker.
    He rolls with the punches.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

He thinks it would just be the Ennd.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

All three are impossible at any odds. Leading the field is Truss, Hunt and Tugendhat. Truss is very unlikely as the time will come when, as Sunak has discovered, being in this current government is a handicap; + she is lightweight. Hunt and Tugendhat are the real favourites.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    From previous thread and unanswered - what is the Gary Cooper fallacy?
  • Options

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

Betting markets have been known to be wrong. :smiley:
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970

Given that we are now (finally) into the endgame, I think it’s become considerably less likely than it was when it looked as though Johnson might make it to 2024.
  • Options

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

Betting markets have been known to be wrong. :smiley:
    Almost by definition partly wrong.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Christ the Gary Gibbon interview on C4 News is painful.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Baker.
    A bit of a bloomer.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

I've not been paying attention today, what's happened to Le Pen? Was the debate another disaster for her?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

All three are impossible at any odds. Leading the field is Truss, Hunt and Tugendhat. Truss is very unlikely as the time will come when, as Sunak has discovered, being in this current government is a handicap; + she is lightweight. Hunt and Tugendhat are the real favourites.

Not Hunt. The party won't vote for him unless JRM is the alternative. Whoever gets to the final two, it will be who is the better TV performer.
  • Options

Overwhelming support does not equal unanimous support. Parliamentary unanimity in any legislature is rare. He did not expound his own reservations, but Nordic media is full of Pros n Cons type articles and shows. It’s a hot topic.
    And also (pls correct if wrong) this is a HUGE sea change for Finns and Swedes, esp. on left side of spectrum.

And NOT just for lefties. But like the man sang, the times they are a'changing.
  • Options

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

I've not been paying attention today, what's happened to Le Pen? Was the debate another disaster for her?
    Not as much as 2017 but she was still skewered by Macron about being financed by Russian banks. It was a terrible moment for her.

Macron was his usual arrogant self but I don't think that will dissuade people from voting for him in a two horse race.
  • Options
    I have just found out that "locked" is an Irish expression for the results of a @Leon level evening of booze.

Am I way behind the curve?

• Options

Farooq said:

They were thinking that Covid would be over and there would be a period of economic recovery when the government could reset. Then Putin did his thing and one of the World's largest oil and gas exporters attacked one of the World's largest food exporters. No government would be having a fun time at the moment.
  • Options

Very much so. However covid and Brexit have clearly been important in this lost opportunity.

What's also become clear is the quite substantial number of ghasts that the Tory parliamentary party have in their ranks.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Baker.
    A bit of a bloomer.
    Especially when he gets a cob on.

(That'll flush out the folks from Nottingham.)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Almost like there is permanent value in laying the favourite in the next leader market.
  • Options

Yep. "Let them have their enquiry if they want". "But you don't want. You tried to block it"

And then the clip of Chris Bryant. "He's toast [long pause] - he knows he's toast"

This does feel now like the narrative. Bluster all you like, you're toast. And when he goes in the bin, think what happens to the amoral lickspittles who have defended him.
  • Options

Yep. "Let them have their enquiry if they want". "But you don't want. You tried to block it"

And then the clip of Chris Bryant. "He's toast [long pause] - he knows he's toast"

This does feel now like the narrative. Bluster all you like, you're toast. And when he goes in the bin, think what happens to the amoral lickspittles who have defended him.
    Something seems to have changed today. On here as much as in the media.

I'm still not sure he won't cling on until 2024 but something shifted today.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    So far - about an hour - America is also stupidly expensive. I just had two glasses of OK Chilean red wine. £35 including tip

Wtf.

And this is in a significantly shit airport terminal

The same at Luton would have been half the price. And served with greater skill and speed

America you need to shape up or I’m gonna have a word
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

The Narva this guy.
    Lett it go.
    A Frozen conflict?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

I don't think you understand the term underpriced.

It means the opposite of what you think it means.

I think 🤔
  • Options
    Leon said:

So far - about an hour - America is also stupidly expensive. I just had two glasses of OK Chilean red wine. £35 including tip

Wtf.

The same at Luton would have been half the price. And served with greater skill and speed

You shouldn't have left a £25 tip.

Surely it's only a fiver a glass?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    My carafe of utterly exquisite English white wine - in the fucking prunier caviar house FFS - in lovely gleaming LHR T5 - cost me less than 2 average glasses of Chilean cab sauv in a flaky badly run drinks bar in JFK T8

• Options
    America is shit
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    I'm imagining being a Tory MP. I really, really think Boris should go, and that the lustre has gone, probably for good. But for the life of me I can't think who could replace him who has a chance in hell of making a great impression in time for the next general election. I've been through every possible alternative, and they all fall fundamentally short for one reason or another. So, although I think Boris must go, I also think he should stay. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he has a revival, somehow.

I reckon that's what quite a lot of Tory MPs are going through at the moment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

America is shit

It was in a terrible terrible mess last time I was there.

And yet, some of the loveliest people around.
  • Options

I'm imagining being a Tory MP. I really, really think Boris should go, and that the lustre has gone, probably for good. But for the life of me I can't think who could replace him who has a chance in hell of making a great impression in time for the next general election. I've been through every possible alternative, and they all fall fundamentally short for one reason or another. So, although I think Boris must go, I also think he should stay. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he has a revival, somehow.

If they had any integrity they'd prefer a truthful loser than a liar.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

America is shit

What’s the deal with the six fingered figures in Tas Tepeler? Is there a theory? Informed or fantastical?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Leon said:

Wtf.

Put a hock in it old boy.

Cicero: what's the explanation for your superb English?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

My carafe of utterly exquisite English white wine - in the fucking prunier caviar house FFS - in lovely gleaming LHR T5 - cost me less than 2 average glasses of Chilean cab sauv in a flaky badly run drinks bar in JFK T8

Just so you know. we're all rooting for you; your bravery in facing up to a life of unimaginable hardship is truly impressive.
  • Options

Leon said:

Wtf.

You shouldn't have left a £25 tip.

Surely it's only a fiver a glass?
    £18 for a large-ish glass of supremely average wine. I do not joke
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Yes I agree
  • Options
    Omnium, are you still on look out for Korean War books? Some I can recommend, in no particular order:

> Battle for Korea: The Associated Press History of the Korean Conflict ed. by Robert J Dvorchak
    > Korean War: An Oral History - Pusan to Chosen by Donald Knox [also at least one other volume]
    > The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam
    > Odd Man Out: Truman, Stalin, Mao, and the Origins of the Korean War by Richard C. Thornton
    > Truman and MacArthur: Policy, Politics and the Hunger for Honor and Renown by Michael D. Pearlman
    > Enter the Dragon: China's Undeclared War Against the US in Korea 1950-51 by Russell Spurr
    > Chosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean War by Eric Hammel
    > Give Me Tomorrow: The Korean War's Greatest Untold Story - The Epic Stand of the Marines of Charlie Company by Patrick K O'Donnell
    > Korean War Almanac ed by Harry G Summers
    > Encyclopedia of the Korean War: A Political, Social and Military History ed. by Spencer C Tucker
    Several Osprey monographs, only one I can vouch for is
    > Inchon: the Last Great Amphibious Assault by Gordon L Rottman

You will note this list is quite American-centric, also oriented to the first year of the war in general, and the Chosen Reservoir campaign featuring US Marine Corps, albeit with strong supporting role by Royal Marines (Task Force Drysdale). PLUS bravura performance by the People's Volunteer Army.
  • Options

If they had any integrity they'd prefer a truthful loser than a liar.
    If.....
  • Options
    Why on earth did we leave the beautiful wonderful EU to hook up with the dysfunctional pile of rubbish that is the contemporary USA?

Yes, I’m looking at you @NickPalmer
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2022

2024 = 2010 Mark 2. The hesitancy of Tory MPs to boot Boris even is eerily similar to Labour MPs bottling getting rid of Brown.
  • Options

Leon said:

Just so you know. we're all rooting for you; your bravery in facing up to a life of unimaginable hardship is truly impressive.
    Thanks. I feel I’m gonna need this moral support in the coming days of hellish quasi-freebies
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited April 2022
    The BBC always says every election is close.

It's very simple - they want to maintain interest but more importantly they will not take any risk at all of suggesting someone will win and then being wrong.

Even when Blair was winning easily Andrew Marr was talking on BBC News the night before about "uncertainty", "stories of unusual movements in marginals", "nobody knows for sure what's going on" etc.

It's basically a standard script recycled every single election.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Heathener said:

Le Pen now out at 15.

Like a stone today.

Not as much as 2017 but she was still skewered by Macron about being financed by Russian banks. It was a terrible moment for her.

Macron was his usual arrogant self but I don't think that will dissuade people from voting for him in a two horse race.
    Not really "for Macron" but rather motivated enough to vote "Anyone but Le Pen" in a 2 horse race.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413

That's the Catch-22 the Conservatives sleepwalked into.

They can't win again with Boris. And whilst this fiasco wasn't forseeable in 2019, something like this was pretty much inevitable, given the character of the man.

Equally, they can't easily win with a not-Boris. Partly because Boris in unique and talented (as in Mr Ripley). Specifically, nobody connects with many new Conservatives the way he does. And that's not just down to the shameless fluency of his lies. It's a lot of it, but not just that.

But also because any potential tall poppies have been cut down by Bozza, because he's afraid of alternatives. Which is a bit of a bugger when an alternative is needed.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MikeL said:

The BBC always says every election is close.

It's very simple - they want to maintain interest but more importantly they will not take any risk at all of suggesting someone will win and then being wrong.

Even when Blair was winning easily Andrew Marr was talking on BBC News the night before about "uncertainty", "stories of unusual movements in marginals", "nobody knows for sure what's going on" etc.

It's basically a standard script recycled every single election.

It’s ridiculously unenlightening.
    The BBC doesn’t need to take sides, but it could at least provide an informed view.
  • Options
    I’ve had a few hours of preliminary wandering around Barcelona, and a few stops for beers on the way of course. Now having dinner in a lovely little restaurant just around the corner from George Orwell Place.

I had Esqueixada to start, now eating their beach squid with black allioli. And a nice glass or two of garnacha to wash it down.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    Cicero said:

d_d said:

"the despicable propaganda and the utter hate now being poured over the entire civilised world".

wow, it is a surprisingly honest summary of how the conflict is being covered by Western media.

If you actually watch and understand Russian media, you will realise how totally inappropriate this sarky comment truly is.
    I have a feeling this poster is not unfamiliar with Russian media.

• Options

And also (pls correct if wrong) this is a HUGE sea change for Finns and Swedes, esp. on left side of spectrum.

And NOT just for lefties. But like the man sang, the times they are a'changing.
    Yes. I don’t think I’m over-egging it to say that many Swedes are profoundly uncomfortable with NATO membership because it just seems so damned “un-Swedish”. We haven’t been at war for 200 years, and folks aren’t super-keen to change that record. This is not a left/right issue (all politics in Sweden is “left” anyway, even the so-called “conservatives”; nothing is more conservative in Sweden than social democracy).
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Thanks. I feel I’m gonna need this moral support in the coming days of hellish quasi-freebies
    It doesn’t get any cheaper when you leave the airport.

Family meal (2X adults, 2X kids) at family restaurant.

London, £40-£60*
    New York, $80-$120

*I am starting to forget the price of things in London which is perhaps merciful.
  • Options
    Leon, you should catch an Uber and head for McSorley's so you can air your views on America AND Ireland to an eager, attentive audience.

Though might want to start with charm offensive before embarking on offensive offensive.

Anyway, have fun on the road to Mar-a-Lardo!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Leon said:

Leon said:

London, £40-£60*
    New York, $80-$120

*I am starting to forget the price of things in London which is perhaps merciful.
    The hilarity is New York is cheap compared to Boston.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Almost like there is permanent value in laying the favourite in the next leader market.
    Is that not the basis of the entire bookmaking industry?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

London, £40-£60*
    New York, $80-$120

I can remember a time when New York was cheap for travellers with the pound. Sigh.
  • Options

I’ve had a few hours of preliminary wandering around Barcelona, and a few stops for beers on the way of course. Now having dinner in a lovely little restaurant just around the corner from George Orwell Place.

I had Esqueixada to start, now eating their beach squid with black allioli. And a nice glass or two of garnacha to wash it down.

Man, you should get local tourist boards to bankroll your expedition.

That meal looks very yummy.

However, please assure me you will NOT eat any tiny tortoises, regardless of sauce. At least not before you cavort with them!
  • Options
    Tories suspend candidate over anti-Catholic comments

Greg Turner, who is standing to become a councillor in East Renfrewshire referred to a local Catholic high school as a "bigot factory," and described Catholics as "papes".

According to the Daily Record, The Tory was behind a profile known as "MearnsUnionist".

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20085178.tories-suspend-candidate-anti-catholic-comments/
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Omnium, are you still on look out for Korean War books? Some I can recommend, in no particular order:

> Battle for Korea: The Associated Press History of the Korean Conflict ed. by Robert J Dvorchak
    > Korean War: An Oral History - Pusan to Chosen by Donald Knox [also at least one other volume]
    > The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam
    > Odd Man Out: Truman, Stalin, Mao, and the Origins of the Korean War by Richard C. Thornton
    > Truman and MacArthur: Policy, Politics and the Hunger for Honor and Renown by Michael D. Pearlman
    > Enter the Dragon: China's Undeclared War Against the US in Korea 1950-51 by Russell Spurr
    > Chosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean War by Eric Hammel
    > Give Me Tomorrow: The Korean War's Greatest Untold Story - The Epic Stand of the Marines of Charlie Company by Patrick K O'Donnell
    > Korean War Almanac ed by Harry G Summers
    > Encyclopedia of the Korean War: A Political, Social and Military History ed. by Spencer C Tucker
    Several Osprey monographs, only one I can vouch for is
    > Inchon: the Last Great Amphibious Assault by Gordon L Rottman

You will note this list is quite American-centric, also oriented to the first year of the war in general, and the Chosen Reservoir campaign featuring US Marine Corps, albeit with strong supporting role by Royal Marines (Task Force Drysdale). PLUS bravura performance by the People's Volunteer Army.

Thanks very much.

( Iwon't pick up on all of these, but some certainly. Just finishing Max Hastings' tome currently.)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    algarkirk said:

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

If you're so sure, then Lay, Lay, Lay.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

London, £40-£60*
    New York, $80-$120

I can remember a time when New York was cheap for travellers with the pound. Sigh.
    Under the Cheney-Bush administration, right (and correct)?
  • Options

Man, you should get local tourist boards to bankroll your expedition.

That meal looks very yummy.

However, please assure me you will NOT eat any tiny tortoises, regardless of sauce. At least not before you cavort with them!
    I’m not even eating tortillas, just in case!
This discussion has been closed.