Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ukraine war as seen from Estonia – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

If Boris goes soon, it’s Truss v Javid.
    Both can probably steady the ship, though it’s hard to see either tackling the cost of living crisis.

I don’t think Wallace wants it, though he could get it if he really went for it.

Zahawi might be a wild card.

Neither the membership nor the parliamentary party nor the country want Raab or Patel or Rishi or Gove. They are all busted flushes.

I don’t know why people keep ramping Hunt or Tugendhat. Only Brexiters (or apostate Brexiters, like Truss) need apply.

Isn't Javid damaged by his non-dom status? I have a nagging sense that it would be a big mistake to go for him.
    If they do it - and I've become less certain that they won't - they need to ask themselves who matches up well against Starmer and isn't tainted by association with Johnson. My tip is Mordaunt but the big value's probably gone on her.
    I mean, Hunt. He's clean of Johnson and even stood against him, he's faced Labour shadows over the dispatch box and come off well. He's generally respected and not seen as a ideological loon or any more weird than any other senior politician. To me he seems like the absolutely obvious choice.
    Ok, he looks a bit like a startled house elf, but that's better than the smirking flatulent flesh wreck they currently have in charge. Why haven't they done this thing already? I don't get it.
    Hunt got just 33% in the 2019 Tory members vote, he will not get it.

Wallace or maybe Javid are the likely replacements if Boris goes. MPs will also likely keep Truss from the final 2
    Remind me again how Javid did in 2019?
    4th with MPs but he never got to the membership vote
    So you think Hunt can't win because people don't change their mind, but Javid can win because people change their mind.
    Hunt has already proved he cannot win with the membership, Javid never got to the membership (nor did Wallace who was not even a candidate then)
    Well exactly, Javid never even got to the membership because he lost to both Hunt and Gove.

And now he's got this dodgy tax thing out there in the public.
    And yet when you eliminate the impossible, the unfeasible, and the vanishingly unlikely…
    You are left with the unappealing but elected.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

UK 12/1 to win Eurovision: must be a clear Lay?
    (Not heard the song, but when did that matter?)

Ukraine 2.2
    Italy 4.9
    Sweden 8.6
    UK 13
    Spain 24
    Greece 46
    Poland 46
    80 bar

We heard it yesterday. Terrible. As always.
    Then why the 12/1? Genuine question. It seems bonkers.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,662
    edited April 2022

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Both can probably steady the ship, though it’s hard to see either tackling the cost of living crisis.

I don’t think Wallace wants it, though he could get it if he really went for it.

Neither the membership nor the parliamentary party nor the country want Raab or Patel or Rishi or Gove. They are all busted flushes.

I don’t know why people keep ramping Hunt or Tugendhat. Only Brexiters (or apostate Brexiters, like Truss) need apply.

Isn't Javid damaged by his non-dom status? I have a nagging sense that it would be a big mistake to go for him.
    If they do it - and I've become less certain that they won't - they need to ask themselves who matches up well against Starmer and isn't tainted by association with Johnson. My tip is Mordaunt but the big value's probably gone on her.
    I mean, Hunt. He's clean of Johnson and even stood against him, he's faced Labour shadows over the dispatch box and come off well. He's generally respected and not seen as a ideological loon or any more weird than any other senior politician. To me he seems like the absolutely obvious choice.
    Ok, he looks a bit like a startled house elf, but that's better than the smirking flatulent flesh wreck they currently have in charge. Why haven't they done this thing already? I don't get it.

Wallace or maybe Javid are the likely replacements if Boris goes. MPs will also likely keep Truss from the final 2
    So you think Hunt can't win because people don't change their mind, but Javid can win because people change their mind.
    Hunt has already proved he cannot win with the membership, Javid never got to the membership (nor did Wallace who was not even a candidate then)
    Well exactly, Javid never even got to the membership because he lost to both Hunt and Gove.

And yet when you eliminate the impossible, the unfeasible, and the vanishingly unlikely…
    Rory Stewart? Or Nicky Fabricant? ADDENDUM - Or Nigela Lawson?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    I can see the Daily Mail headline now.

“Braveheart” Wallace cries Freedom (from the EU).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

You are left with the unappealing but elected.
    Warren G Harding?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Ukraine 2.2
    Italy 4.9
    Sweden 8.6
    UK 13
    Spain 24
    Greece 46
    Poland 46
    80 bar

It'll be just like how England's odds are always too short. It's not a reflection of likelihood as much as a reflection of potential losses to clueless but patriotic bettors.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

OMG

Hunt now fav for next leader on BF

Then they clearly have not a clue about the current party membership
    "they" is probably "us" a lot of the time, as we are Political Betting :smile:
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,589
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

Rishi Sunak drifting again: now 13/1 for Next Con Leader.

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

All three are impossible at any odds. Leading the field is Truss, Hunt and Tugendhat. Truss is very unlikely as the time will come when, as Sunak has discovered, being in this current government is a handicap; + she is lightweight. Hunt and Tugendhat are the real favourites.

Why do people rate Tom Tugendhat? Genuine question.
    Because the people we're comparing him to are even worse?
    If you rule out anyone prepared to stay in Johnson's cabinet (and you should, really), and Hunt is past it (he kind of is), who is next in line?
    Ben Wallace, Hunt and Tugendhat would not get through the membership vote and being in Boris' cabinet is not a hindrance to Tory members who get the final say on next Tory leader and PM in power
    Do you think Baker is setting himself as both Johnson's assassin and pretender?
    Baker will not get to the final 2 even if he stands.

At the moment the likeliest final 2 would be Hunt and Wallace in my view from MPs, with members then voting clearly for Wallace
    The new IDS.
    Wallace has a higher net favourability than Starmer, +2% to -1%.

He is the anti Boris, dull but competent and serious with no scandal. If Boris goes he is the heir apparent now

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Keir_Starmer
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Ben_Wallace(popup:search/keir starmer)?content=all
    He will be thrashed by Starmer at the GE.
    Starmer is hardly even thrasing Boris now, despite Boris having a much worse net favourable than him of -24%.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Boris_Johnson

The danger for Starmer is Wallace is Major to his Kinnock if partygate kills off Boris as the poll tax killed off Thatcher in 1990
    Nah. Wallace is Johnson without the charisma. A one way ticket to the opposition benches.
    Depends what the question the Conservatives need to answer is.

If it's "who wins in 2024?", I doubt that Wallace is the answer. But I'm not sure who is.

If it's "who minimises the defeat in 2024, and starts the haul back to electibility for 2029?", they could do a lot worse.

But I bet that isn't the consideration yet.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Surely John Redwood fancies another go.
  • Options
    Kirby further clarifies that the drone was developed "for a set of requirements that very closely match what Ukrainians need right now in the Donbas"
    https://mobile.twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1517238038128177155

Anti-artillery ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@HYFUD you seem to be implying that Truss has no fans, or even outright enemies in the parliamentary party?

She has a lot of enemies, certainly amongst the left of the party but is too libertarian for the traditional right as well
    Is it anything to do with her “colourful” private life?
    Didn't think YOU would be the kind to kiss and tell.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@HYFUD you seem to be implying that Truss has no fans, or even outright enemies in the parliamentary party?

She has a lot of enemies, certainly amongst the left of the party but is too libertarian for the traditional right as well
    Is it anything to do with her “colourful” private life?
    Didn't think YOU would be the kind to kiss and tell.
    I am trying to put myself in the mind of a curtain-twitching, misogynistic backbench Tory MP.

WWCCD?

What would Christopher Chope do?
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Jeffrey Archer?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

True, but that was when Johnson was in his ascendency - the polls were extremely clear that a Johnson led Conservative party campaigning on a “get Brexit done“ platform would win handily (although not many predicted the final overwhelming result at the time!).

Now, however, the Johnson brand is made up of squalid grifts & partying whilst everyone else had to stay at home whilst their relatives died. Consequently Hunt may do better this time around than you expect - at least he‘s a known, safe pair of hands & with Brexit “done” a competent policy wonk might perhaps be what the party decides to go for?

The other candidates are all IDS style hardliners of one sort or another - popular with the faithful, but likely to alienate the wider electorate. Will the Tory members vote with their heart or their head come a leadership election? That‘s what will decide whether they have a chance in the next GE imo,
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 149
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Posting from blacklisted IPs is a no-no. (Albeit there's one other poster I have not sectioned for this crime yet, because I'm a big softie.)

FWIW, with "the other poster", I have no dog in this fight but it's worth being aware that many of the "free" VPNs work by routing traffic through their own users (kinda like TOR except the onion has one skin) and the people who run them often have ulterior motives to introduce their own traffic as well... so her explanation seemed credible to me but I don't have access to the info you do.

Edit: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hola-is-basically-a-botnet-congress-redirected-to-nude-photos-more-tech-news-digest/ an example
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Jeffrey Archer?
    Jeffrey Dahmer?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

Ukraine 2.2
    Italy 4.9
    Sweden 8.6
    UK 13
    Spain 24
    Greece 46
    Poland 46
    80 bar

Because idiots bet by nationality. A bit like the World Cup and euros odds.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,589

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

You're left with the fictional.

My avatar's time has come (though I suspect he was purged in 2019).

https://youtu.be/qhI0YqUsiKo

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Farooq said:

It just seems so very unlikely, but what if Truss is having a fantastically efficient time destroying all her potential rivals?
  • Options
    Johnson does seem to like having cloth wrapped around him...

• Options

Farooq said:

It just seems so very unlikely, but what if Truss is having a fantastically efficient time destroying all her potential rivals?
    I wouldn't rule it out. Personally, I don't rate her.
  • Options
    Seattle Times ($) - How President Joe Biden’s visit is impacting Seattle area roads, freeways and transit service

President Joe Biden will be in Seattle on Thursday [today] and Friday, and with his visit will come some temporary changes to transit service downtown, road closures, as well as likely congestion on nearby highways.

Biden is expected to arrive at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport at 5:15 p.m. Thursday according to the White House. The airport said passengers arriving at or departing from Sea-Tac should expect delays early Thursday evening with security protocols requiring all air traffic to stop for at least 30 minutes before arrival and shortly after.

The Washington Department of Transportation advised drivers to expect intermittent heavy congestion in the Seattle area Thursday evening and Friday due to temporary closures of the freeway system due to his visit.

Ahead of his arrival, Seattle police and King County Metro blocked off partial access to downtown, with cruisers and buses spanning roadways to prevent motorists from driving on streets near the Westin hotel.

From Thursday to Friday at 4 p.m., bus stops between Jackson and Blanchard Streets and Third and Ninth Avenues could see temporary closures or relocations. Both Sound Transit and King County Metro announced changes to several routes Thursday.

SSI - this afternoon's commute via I-5 will NOT be fun, and downtown will be mostly no-go area for cars & buses this evening & tomorrow.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Ouch. I don't know if this has been discussed already on previous threads, but the Ukrainians now have a new word which has made its way into French too - macroner.

Quant à l'expression "arrête de macroner", on lui donne la définition suivante : "se montrer très inquiet d'une situation, mais ne rien faire".

In short, to macron is to express great concern for a situation but to do nothing. Ouch!!!
  • Options
    What's this? Momentum have been tweeting positive stuff about Andy Burnham and an article he wrote on transport.

Is something afoot?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Ouch. I don't know if this has been discussed already on previous threads, but the Ukrainians now have a new word which has made its way into French too - macroner.

Quant à l'expression "arrête de macroner", on lui donne la définition suivante : "se montrer très inquiet d'une situation, mais ne rien faire".

In short, to macron is to express great concern for a situation but to do nothing. Ouch!!!

LOL.

Although surely they mean the Germany chancellor?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

He looks like he's in a straight jacket
    LOL.

Those two chaps on the right knew what they were about.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

"If Boris goes soon, it’s Truss v Javid."

Does Javid have the numbers amongst MPs? Seems v unlikely to me, although I quite rate him as a minister (but not as PM).
  • Options
    TimT said:

"He kept us out of war" redux?
  • Options

OMG

Hunt now fav for next leader on BF

*Legendary modesty klaxon*

I do believe an esteemed PBer pointed out on Sunday that backing Hunt had some value.

A former cabinet minister said Sunak’s support had moved to Jeremy Hunt, the former foreign secretary who came second in the last leadership contest.

You can get odds of around 9/1 on Hunt, I’m on odds of around 20/1 but I still think there’s a smidgen of value at 9/1 but I expect some of you will disagree.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/04/17/is-rishi-sunak-the-new-theresa-may/
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    Re the reinfection story early. 1st infection, no symptoms, which suggests the vaccine held up pretty well against delta. Second infection, omicron, fever etc, but I am sure recovered (not stated, but it was January).
    What’s interesting is that omicron is different enough to almost b3 a different virus in terms of infection, although prot3ction remains against severe disease.
    Some studies coming out about updated vaccines, but note they are not against omicron yet.
  • Options

What's this? Momentum have been tweeting positive stuff about Andy Burnham and an article he wrote on transport.

Is something afoot?

No, he cannot double job as an MP and Mayor of Greater Manchester.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    Phil said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

True, but that was when Johnson was in his ascendency - the polls were extremely clear that a Johnson led Conservative party campaigning on a “get Brexit done“ platform would win handily (although not many predicted the final overwhelming result at the time!).

Now, however, the Johnson brand is made up of squalid grifts & partying whilst everyone else had to stay at home whilst their relatives died. Consequently Hunt may do better this time around than you expect - at least he‘s a known, safe pair of hands & with Brexit “done” a competent policy wonk might perhaps be what the party decides to go for?

The other candidates are all IDS style hardliners of one sort or another - popular with the faithful, but likely to alienate the wider electorate. Will the Tory members vote with their heart or their head come a leadership election? That‘s what will decide whether they have a chance in the next GE imo,
    Hunt has a rating with the public which is not great too, -22%. Far worse than Wallace and Javid and also still worse than Starmer
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Jeremy_Hunt
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170

Is something afoot?

No, he cannot double job as an MP and Mayor of Greater Manchester.
    Burnham will likely stand for Parliament again at the next general election, maybe even in his own seat of Leigh and if Starmer loses will be in prime position to be next Labour leader. If Starmer wins still up for a Cabinet post
  • Options
    Dorries is on Twitter, kind of disinterring the Savile smear against Keir.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Does Javid have the numbers amongst MPs? Seems v unlikely to me, although I quite rate him as a minister (but not as PM).
    I don't know, but it's precisely because of the non-dom thing that I suspect quite a few sensible MPs will be leery of supporting him. Imagine how clumsy it would look if you backed him and then some tax avoidance scandal blew up with your man in the middle of it.
    I think Hunt looks like the safest pair of hands around. Very experienced + untainted + not obviously mad. Is he literally the only one who ticks all those boxes?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,835

Her career is over when Johnson goes, and she knows it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Kirby further clarifies that the drone was developed "for a set of requirements that very closely match what Ukrainians need right now in the Donbas"
    https://mobile.twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1517238038128177155

Anti-artillery ?

It targets short-arsed thugs from the back streets of St Petersburg?
  • Options

She is minister for kunst und kulture, nicht wahr?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

He looks like he's in a straight jacket
    Where he belongs.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,519
    StuartDickson has yet to answer my question, so I will pose another for him: In his book, " A Moment on Earth", Gregg Easterbrook (who is not a conservative) says:

'You may not want to hear this, but when the history of twentieth-century environmental politics is written, George [H. W.] Bush will indeed be ranked as the "environmental president."

These things happened under Bush: the 1990 Clean Air Act, the strongest air-pollution in the world; international agreement to abolish CFCs; the end of ocean disposal of sludge; . . . '

Easterbrook continues, listing another 10 items. And I can add this to his list: Bush brought in "cap-and-trade" mechanisms in air pollution control, which cut air pollution in American cities faster, and at lower costs, than had been predicted.

Under his son, environmental improvements continued. For example, clean diesel regulations were established and enormous ocean preserves established in the Pacific. https://www.doi.gov/oia/press/2009/President-Bush-Creates-Three-New-Pacific-Marine-Monuments

Does Dickson think these environmental improvements -- which were imitated in many other nations -- are a "healthy influence"?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I don't know, but it's precisely because of the non-dom thing that I suspect quite a few sensible MPs will be leery of supporting him. Imagine how clumsy it would look if you backed him and then some tax avoidance scandal blew up with your man in the middle of it.
    I think Hunt looks like the safest pair of hands around. Very experienced + untainted + not obviously mad. Is he literally the only one who ticks all those boxes?
    He is the one I want as a non-tory. It seems he might manage a sound administration that is not totally bonkers and full of lying hypocrites.
  • Options

StuartDickson has yet to answer my question, so I will pose another for him: In his book, " A Moment on Earth", Gregg Easterbrook (who is not a conservative) says:

'You may not want to hear this, but when the history of twentieth-century environmental politics is written, George [H. W.] Bush will indeed be ranked as the "environmental president."

These things happened under Bush: the 1990 Clean Air Act, the strongest air-pollution in the world; international agreement to abolish CFCs; the end of ocean disposal of sludge; . . . '

Easterbrook continues, listing another 10 items. And I can add this to his list: Bush brought in "cap-and-trade" mechanisms in air pollution control, which cut air pollution in American cities faster, and at lower costs, than had been predicted.

Under his son, environmental improvements continued. For example, clean diesel regulations were established and enormous ocean preserves established in the Pacific. https://www.doi.gov/oia/press/2009/President-Bush-Creates-Three-New-Pacific-Marine-Monuments

Does Dickson think these environmental improvements -- which were imitated in many other nations -- are a "healthy influence"?

You might want to check to see whether the USA has anything in the debit column before you champion them as heralds of the green era..
  • Options
    So the 2014 Russian loan to Le Pen still has not been repaid??

Imagine this happening in the US, any political party with a loan from Russian or Chinese banks is going to be under FBI investigation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AppleHelix/status/1517262495978864641

More recent unrepaid, multi million euro loans from Hungary and the UAE.

Way dodgier even than a Tory PPE contract.
  • Options

WTF is radge? Is that a Scottish word?

Edinburgh slang. The Hibs v Hearts derby match is now known as “El Radgio”.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,519
    Farooq said: "You might want to check to see whether the USA has anything in the debit column before you champion them as heralds of the green era.."

I have, and you, in turn, might want to check whether the credits have been larger than the debits. Here's a little from Michael Shellenberger's book, "Apocalyse Never":

"Between 1980 and 2018, U.S. carbon monoxide levels decreased by 83 percent, lead by 99 percent, nitrogen dioxide by 61 percent, ozone by 31 percent, and sulfur dioxide by 91 percent."

And there have been similar improvements in water quality. For example, the Potomac River, for the first time in many decades, is now clean enough to swim in.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited April 2022
    Javid is still the Conservative leader I'd like to see, and who might persuade me to vote Tory. Every leader is a reaction against the flaws of their predicessor. Javid seems somewhat more serious as an antidote, but without appearing moralising, sanctimonious judgementalism that seems to come with many politicians in the 'serious times need serious leaders' category. He's served in two departments that tend to show up poor politicians (Health and the Home Office) without much in the way of scandal. Zahawi would be another interesting choice (compare his performance when he first entered parliament to his performance now).

Jeremy Hunt is certainly worth considering as a bet - he would certainly keep limerick-writers in work. But he just doesn't seem... interesting enough. Compare his personal story to Javid, Zahawi or even Truss. I don't think the membership would vote for Hunt unless the other candidates bumped each other and themselves off, 2016-style.

Despite his long term as Health Secretary, my main memory of Hunt is, perhaps unfairly, his somewhat poor judgement (at least in the eyes of the public) as Culture Secretary during the phone hacking scandal. I don't think that we could blame Labour campaigners if they tried dusting off the old 'Murdoch stooge' accusations that, back then, led to a vote in parliament about whether he should retain his job.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    "Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    🇫🇷How French plan to vote

18-24: Macron 54 Le Pen 46
    25-34: Macron 40 Le Pen 60
    35-49: Macron 51 Le Pen 49
    50-64: Macron 54 Le Pen 46
    65+: Macron 65 Le Pen 35"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

Rishi Sunak drifting again: now 13/1 for Next Con Leader.

Shortening:
    Zahawi 22/1
    Baker 40/1

Desperation setting in , anyone with the sign of a pulse is now in the betting
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

WTF is radge? Is that a Scottish word?

Edinburgh slang. The Hibs v Hearts derby match is now known as “El Radgio”.

@onepureradge

More like Glasgow slang
    radge:
    one who is not all there; a bit mental. someone who likes to noise others up and get into fights.
This discussion has been closed.