Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Locals 2022: An invitation to PBers – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2022 in General
imageThe Locals 2022: An invitation to PBers – politicalbetting.com

The Smarkets betting exchange is staging an event next Wednesday, April 27th, on this year’s local elections. These take place a fortnight today on May 5th. The venue will be at the Smarkets offices in London where last month PB held its 18th birthday party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Tempting
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes
    One may not be able to polish a turd, but at the very least someone could comb it's hair.

No! The weed-wacker look is key part of Boris Johnson's personal charisma & electoral appeal!

His "true" problem, is that he's rapidly loosing his hair, and it shows.

Perhaps he needs to invest in a good wig?

NOT hopelessly outdated Whig like Rees-Mogg. And NOT pound-store fright job sported by Fabricant.
    an idea whose time has come and not yet gone - PB BOTTLE BUS
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I have watched, it is OK as a drama but a bit far fetched. Also out of date, the majority of Tory MPs are not Eton and Oxford educated with glamorous wives living in Belgravia.

Indeed most Tory MPs now went to state schools. As for Oxford it too has changed, the Bullingdon Club has effectively gone extinct and there about as many privately educated pupils at St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh now as Oxford and Cambridge has more state educated pupils than all of them

I've not seen it, but I do think there's a general tendency to simplify and play up to viewers' caricatures. Bridgerton is a ridiculous pastiche of Jane Austen, but I know people who think that aristocrats really were and are like that. Political dramas portray all politicians as scheming crooks, idiots or fanatics (much like CD13's post upthread). Tories are all Eton-educated toffs. Labour MPs are either smooth careerists or horny-handed trade unionists.

It's hard to complain since these are primarily for entertainment, and really they can portray people any way they like. But it's worth being careful not to swallow the portrayals as having much to do with reality.
    Indeed, it is more entertainment than reality.

In the 1950s there was certainly a big class difference between MPs, most Tory MPs were privately educated and often Oxbridge educated as well. Most Labour MPs were state school educated with many having had working class jobs down the mines or on the factory floor.

Now most Labour and Conservative MPs went to state schools, indeed there were almost as many LD MPs who went to private schools as Conservative MPs who did percentage wise after the 2019 general election.

Almost all MPs are middle class and went to university with about a third going to Oxbridge. Indeed class wise MPs of all parties now look more like each other than the rest of the population, with many having been SPADs or researchers after university and rarely stepped outside politics
    My rule of thumb is that Tories went to major public schools and Labour to minor public schools.
    Not true now.

Only 44% of current Conservative MPs, 38% of LD MPs and just 19% of Labour MPs went to private schools.

In 1979 by contrast 73% of Conservative MPs, 55% of Liberal MPs and 18% of Labour MPs went to private schools

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7483/
    But of the ones who did go to public schools, does the major/minor relationship still hold? A quick look at Wikipedia finds a lot of PPE, economists and lawyers, and that is just the Shadow Cabinet.
    To some extent, the Tories still have more Etonians and Wykehamists.

Albeit Blair went to Fettes, the Eton of Scotland.

Overall however the average Tory MP is much less posh than they were 50 years ago and that is even more so post Brexit. Indeed the LD MPs are almost as posh on average as the Tory MPs now (as more of the former come from London and the South and more of the latter from the Redwall)
    Hang on, young HY!!! Remind us, if you would be so kind, who are these Lib Dems MPs who come from London and the South? Then add them up, divide by thirteen and express the result as a percentage......

Now, what were you saying?

It may be as you say after the next election, of course.
    To help HYUFD… There are 13 LDem MPs: 4 representing constituencies in Scotland, none from Wales or NI. Among the English MPs, there are 3 London, 3 south + east, 1 west, 1 north-west and 1 midlands. So, less than half come from London or the South.
    So 7 out of 13 from London and the South East and South West, a majority exactly as I said.

1 of the Scottish MPs represents Edinburgh West too, which is posher than most of London and another represents Fife North East which contains St Andrews, the poshest UK university after Oxford
    Bristol is posher than St Andrews. I’ll fight you naked in a supermarket car park if you insist otherwise.
    Jean Paul Marat, who got stabbed in the bath by Charlotte Corday, was a St Andrews man
    Apres mai le deluge!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Shame, I enjoyed the last meet-up at Smarkets but my summer term at Birkbeck starts that night.

FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes
    One may not be able to polish a turd, but at the very least someone could comb it's hair.

No! The weed-wacker look is key part of Boris Johnson's personal charisma & electoral appeal!

NOT hopelessly outdated Whig like Rees-Mogg. And NOT pound-store fright job sported by Fabricant.

I think Fabricant’s is actually an expensively designed prop for the piece of performance art that is Michael Fabricant. It’s the only explanation.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    On topic: Is this a hybrid meeting? Can we join via Teams or Zoom?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,566
    DougSeal said:

FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes

I think Fabricant’s is actually an expensively designed prop for the piece of performance art that is Michael Fabricant. It’s the only explanation.
    The clue is in the name.
    He is an entirely artificial construct.
    Actually, best if I don't dial in. That's my wedding anniversary!
    DougSeal said:

FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes

Re: the PM, have been wondering, is Boris the 3rd millennium's Sampson? And is Carrie his Delilah?

Certain does seem that the waning of his powers coincides with the thinning of his hair.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    I didn't notice this come by earlier, but according to the BBC "Vladimir Putin orders his troops not to storm the Azovstal steel plant, where the last group of Ukrainian fighters in Mariupol is holding out [but to blockade it instead]"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61157670

When two "or else" deadlines pass, and then you don't carry through your threat, you'd have to assume that this means they consider that storming it would be unsuccessful - not merely wasteful of Russian troops' lives, as they haven't been too picky about that up to now.

The question is whether there is any hope of resupply of those holding out?
  • DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Interesting position for Downing St here. The PM could get another fine before local elections, but Met wouldn't say anything public about more fines.

Johnson has committed to reveal fines. Would he dare wait until after elections out the way before doing so?
    https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1517121093655478273

So, Met will continue to issue fines and may do so before the locals, BUT they’re not going to publicly announce what they’ve done until after, presumably as some sort of respecting of purdah.

Yes. And it does the Tories egregious harm in waiting. Every single candidate running for the Conservative Party is personally pledged to lies, criminality, malfeasance and impropriety.

Its not the best of election platforms. "You can trust us" they say - to back lies and criminality. Up here my Tory opponents have lots of pictures of them with David Duguid. A man so lacking a spine that when the CCS project was awarded to sites in England instead of Peterhead he stood up in PMQ's praising the liar for promising to at least consider Peterhead for future funding rounds in 2025 onwards.

So. Running for council as Tories. Backing the non-funding of mega energy jobs. Backing the criminal and liar. Vote Conservative?

Or the Met could have ended this. Drop the next 7 FPNs on the best acca there is. Position untenable. Removed. "We're cleaning house" as a slogan. More votes.
    This all takes me back two years when Mr Roberts, in a previous guise, was ready to die in a ditch for Cummings,
    I still don't see anything wrong in what Cummings did. 🤷‍♂️

I think the curtain twitching is quite distasteful.
    I do.

There was pretty widespread compliance with Covid regulations before the Cummings story broke. After that, people were much more inclined to use their own judgement. I attribute the illness of a close relative to this. Whether I am correct to or not, the Cummings incident indicated a shocking disregard for the rules, and fundamental dishonesty by those charged with making the rules.

If you don't see anything wrong in what he did, and the way he lied about it afterwards, maybe you too need to go to Specsavers.
    Using your own judgement should have always been what people were doing. If that's what people did afterwards then I see that as an unambiguously good thing, not a bad one. 👍

There is nothing healthy or wise about individuals sacrificing their own judgement. The lack of it, and the way society has been kowtowing to "rules" is my biggest regret of the past couple of years.

DougSeal said:

FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes

Re: the PM, have been wondering, is Boris the 3rd millennium's Sampson? And is Carrie his Delilah?

Certain does seem that the waning of his powers coincides with the thinning of his hair.
    The waning of his powers coincides with coming up against a half decent opponent who is at least twice as clever as he is.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Fabricant and Rees Mogg combined would be very similar to the ventriloquist's dummy in Dead of Night, one of the best horror films ever made.
    OT - Thanks to Smarkets for hosting!

Would it be possible for them, or someone, to arrange air fare (or private jet!) & take care of other expenses (hotel, meals, ground transport, "entertainment") so yours truly may also attend?

In return, will wave my usual fees, honoraria, kickbacks, bribes and other usual compensation for my quasi-professional semi-psephological "services".

Would it be possible for them, or someone, to arrange air fare (or private jet!) & take care of other expenses (hotel, meals, ground transport, "entertainment") so yours truly may also attend?

In return, will wave my usual fees, honoraria, kickbacks, bribes and other usual compensation for my quasi-professional semi-psephological "services".

I’m sure it can be arranged.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

DougSeal said:

FTP - Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes

''tieless in Gaza, at the mill with knaves''
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,160

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Interesting position for Downing St here. The PM could get another fine before local elections, but Met wouldn't say anything public about more fines.

Johnson has committed to reveal fines. Would he dare wait until after elections out the way before doing so?

So, Met will continue to issue fines and may do so before the locals, BUT they’re not going to publicly announce what they’ve done until after, presumably as some sort of respecting of purdah.

Yes. And it does the Tories egregious harm in waiting. Every single candidate running for the Conservative Party is personally pledged to lies, criminality, malfeasance and impropriety.

Its not the best of election platforms. "You can trust us" they say - to back lies and criminality. Up here my Tory opponents have lots of pictures of them with David Duguid. A man so lacking a spine that when the CCS project was awarded to sites in England instead of Peterhead he stood up in PMQ's praising the liar for promising to at least consider Peterhead for future funding rounds in 2025 onwards.

So. Running for council as Tories. Backing the non-funding of mega energy jobs. Backing the criminal and liar. Vote Conservative?

Or the Met could have ended this. Drop the next 7 FPNs on the best acca there is. Position untenable. Removed. "We're cleaning house" as a slogan. More votes.
    This all takes me back two years when Mr Roberts, in a previous guise, was ready to die in a ditch for Cummings,

I do.

There was pretty widespread compliance with Covid regulations before the Cummings story broke. After that, people were much more inclined to use their own judgement. I attribute the illness of a close relative to this. Whether I am correct to or not, the Cummings incident indicated a shocking disregard for the rules, and fundamental dishonesty by those charged with making the rules.

If you don't see anything wrong in what he did, and the way he lied about it afterwards, maybe you too need to go to Specsavers.
    Using your own judgement should have always been what people were doing. If that's what people did afterwards then I see that as an unambiguously good thing, not a bad one. 👍

There is nothing healthy or wise about individuals sacrificing their own judgement. The lack of it, and the way society has been kowtowing to "rules" is my biggest regret of the past couple of years.
    SAGE advice also supported empowering people to make their own sensible judgements and was cautious about the value of criminal law.

• Jean Paul Marat, who got stabbed in the bath by Charlotte Corday, was a St Andrews man

Went to St. Andrew’s and was totally unaware of that.
  • Can’t make it sorry
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    If the charge is that BoJo misled Parliament, who believed him in the first place? Which MP said to himself. 'If the Prime Minster says that, it must be true." That MP clearly isn't safe out on his own, and should be kept away from sharp objects.

Was it Keir? Come on, own up, or accept that BoJo must be innocent.
    DougSeal said:

I’m sure it can be arranged.
    No sure there's enough time to reapply for my passport. AND my state ID card expires tomorrow!

Though perhaps PB clout at Foreign Office could obviate these minor impediments to modern travel?

Jean Paul Marat, who got stabbed in the bath by Charlotte Corday, was a St Andrews man

You went to St. Andrews and were unaware of the fact? Is that common?
    edited April 2022

M

Bit like the Sixties.
    edited April 2022
    The Beth Rigby interview (at the point at which she drops Steve Baker's contribution on the PM) does have something of the feeling of "this is the microphone, Prime Minister", despite its greater formality.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-live-boris-johnson-urges-mps-to-wait-for-full-facts-before-launching-inquiry-into-whether-he-misled-parliament-12593360?postid=3758776#liveblog-body
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    CD13 said:

If the charge is that BoJo misled Parliament, who believed him in the first place? Which MP said to himself. 'If the Prime Minster says that, it must be true." That MP clearly isn't safe out on his own, and should be kept away from sharp objects.

Was it Keir? Come on, own up, or accept that BoJo must be innocent.

It is a bit like comparing WBA boxing with WWF wrestling. In both you can't fully trust decisions and whatever is presented to you is polished and spun as better than it is. But one is still a sport and the other a complete fantasy. Boris wants to take it out of being a sport and into his fantasy.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    DougSeal said:

Shame, I enjoyed the last meet-up at Smarkets but my summer term at Birkbeck starts that night.

Is that a euphemism?

DougSeal said:

Is that a euphemism?
    Yes
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    mwadams said:

The Beth Rigby interview (at the point at which she drops Steve Baker's contribution on the PM) does have something of the feeling of "this is the microphone, Prime Minister", despite its greater formality.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-live-boris-johnson-urges-mps-to-wait-for-full-facts-before-launching-inquiry-into-whether-he-misled-parliament-12593360?postid=3758776#liveblog-body

The wide shots make it look like a spoof fly-on-the-wall documentary.

mwadams said:

The wide shots make it look like a spoof fly-on-the-wall documentary.
    Conversely, when you watch The Day Today again, it no longer looks hyper-exaggerated.
    mwadams said:

I didn't notice this come by earlier, but according to the BBC "Vladimir Putin orders his troops not to storm the Azovstal steel plant, where the last group of Ukrainian fighters in Mariupol is holding out [but to blockade it instead]"

When two "or else" deadlines pass, and then you don't carry through your threat, you'd have to assume that this means they consider that storming it would be unsuccessful - not merely wasteful of Russian troops' lives, as they haven't been too picky about that up to now.

Could be.

Might it also be, that slaughtering the last brave defenders of Mariupol in full sight of the world, including his own people, is an atrocity too far, at least for public relations purposes?

Note that in Warsaw 1944, Putin's role model agreed, and largely adhered to, honorable terms of surrender for what was left of the Home Army.

No shortage of atrocities by Nazis up to then (and afterwards) but Hitler knew the world was watching.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    mwadams said:

"I have nothing to hide".

mwadams said:

Could be.

Might it also be, that slaughtering the last brave defenders of Mariupol in full sight of the world, including his own people, is an atrocity too far, at least for public relations purposes?

Note that in Warsaw 1944, Putin's role model agreed, and largely adhered to, honorable terms of surrender for what was left of the Home Army.

No shortage of atrocities by Nazis up to then (and afterwards) but Hitler knew the world was watching.
    An interesting thought. It would certainly suggest more awareness of being watched.

Kate McCann
    @KateEMcCann
    ·
    2h
    Something shifted for Tory MPs this week, we're starting to see it play out in public. Steve Baker - who really struggled listening to Keir Starmer's emotional speech on Tuesday - calls on the PM to resign.

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1517118326341840896
  • So I’ve booked two nights in Barcelona (at different hotels which is a bit annoying but worked out much cheaper than any two night offer I could see). I thought I needed a whole day there if I’m going to get myself properly mugged!

It also means I’ll be there for St Jordi’s day on Saturday and able to see people dancing the Sardana in Plaça de Sant Jaume. Apparently they celebrate St Jordi’s day in Catalonia somewhat like we do Valentine’s Day. Girls give boys roses, and boys give back books (seemingly started as a tradition to also mark the deaths of those two famously Catalan writers; Cervantes and Shakespeare). They sell more books that day than the rest of the year put together.
    Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    17m
    Update: Labour isn't expected to force a vote on its own motion today, meaning it goes through on the nod (*unless* one of the other Oppo parties does).
  • Alas I’m at the cathedral of football next Wednesday.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

Something shifted for Tory MPs this week

They spoke to constituents over Easter...
    mwadams said:

What is the this is the microphone PM reference?
    Thing that struck me watching Rigby's interview of Johnson, is that his hair today is a) more subdued and b) less blond that per usual.

Which leads me to ask:

> how much does the PM (or somebody) actually pay for his hair "dressing"?

> is he dying his hair on regular basis, for how long, and, if so, why not today?

On less important, non-follicle related subject

> how does visit of political damaged PM help in weaning India from it's long-standing ties with Russia?

mwadams said:

"I have nothing to hide".

Except his bald patch.

So I’ve booked two nights in Barcelona (at different hotels which is a bit annoying but worked out much cheaper than any two night offer I could see). I thought I needed a whole day there if I’m going to get myself properly mugged!

It also means I’ll be there for St Jordi’s day on Saturday and able to see people dancing the Sardana in Plaça de Sant Jaume. Apparently they celebrate St Jordi’s day in Catalonia somewhat like we do Valentine’s Day. Girls give boys roses, and boys give back books (seemingly started as a tradition to also mark the deaths of those two famously Catalan writers; Cervantes and Shakespeare). They sell more books that day than the rest of the year put together.

I always thought that is a St George's Day tradition we could try and adopt in England rather than some naff St Patrick's Day knockoff with real ale substituting for Guinness that some seem desperate to adopt. Writing is something we are generally known for being quite good at.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Fabricant and Rees Mogg combined would be very similar to the ventriloquist's dummy in Dead of Night, one of the best horror films ever made.

You've just given me the tip-off as to who Rees-Mogg reminds me of. It's been bugging me for years. JR-M is Lord Charles!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    eristdoof said:

You've just given me the tip-off as to who Rees-Mogg reminds me of. It's been bugging me for years. JR-M is Lord Charles!
    Ray Alan with a mic'd up Lord Charles as the ventriloquist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Zn3M-WMzM
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/112555
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited April 2022
    Is anyone else concerned that OGH seems to have dropped dead halfway through writing the header, just as he is about to name the murderer increasing political imp?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132

Is anyone else concerned that OGH seems to have dropped dead halfway through writing the header, just as he is about to name the murderer increasing political imp?

Not something to worry about; the trolls are always active, and have been more so of late in comparing covid to a brief cold, denying the nature of cake, and being hypercritical on the philosophical concept of a party, all in the cause of saving large canines.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132
    edited April 2022
    Oh dear. Mr J doing his usual thing in a JCB factory. But it's in India. Tactless.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/21/boris-johnson-visits-jcb-plant-india-demolitions-row

'Boris Johnson’s attempt to use his India visit to hail the success of JCB, the digger firm owned by a Tory donor, was met with a backlash on Thursday over the use of its machinery in the mass demolition of homes.

[...]

TV footage about the demolition controversy, running prominently on Indian channels, showed JCB bulldozers being used to flatten properties.'

('its machinery' ambiguous - made by JCB not (still) owned by the firm)
  • DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

I do.

SAGE advice also supported empowering people to make their own sensible judgements and was cautious about the value of criminal law.
    That's interesting to know.

Was that the case at the time in Spring 2020, or was that changed after the fact?
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

After the 1990 leadership vote, when John Sergeant belatedly realised that Mrs Thatcher was standing behind him outside the British Embassy, she asks an aide where the microphone is, and he responds "this is the microphone, Prime Minister".

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

Thank you (that's the actual footage, for benefit of others)
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

Thank you (that's the actual footage, for benefit of others)
    My memory is remarkably close to the transcript! :)

Can't be the CotE who is a rapidly decreasing political imp.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

Normally, the disappearance of OGH is a portent of turbulent political times.

Just saying.
  • Is anyone else concerned that OGH seems to have dropped dead halfway through writing the header, just as he is about to name the murderer increasing political imp?

Normally, the disappearance of OGH is a portent of turbulent political times.

Just saying.
    For the last few years, the day of the week having a y in it is a portent of turbulent political times.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    No chance of getting to this, sorry x
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited April 2022
    I overheard some people discussing Boris this morning in a cafe on the Upper East Side.

Admittedly a rather niche demographic.

They think he’s an idiot, with stupid hair, and that his Churchillian act in Ukraine is pathetic.
    On the other hand they can’t understand why a “party” could be the end of him.

I’ve heard this before in the USA. Partygate doesn’t travel. The way I’ve tried to explain it before is that he’s lied to the House of Commons which is akin perhaps to lying under oath to a Court of Law.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,611
    glw said:

Massive Fire at #Russia’s Air-Space Defense Research Institute in Tver, 110 mile/180Km NW of Moscow.

RT reporting at least one killed and 16 injured. Cause unknown

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1517118119784951808

I blame NATO Canadian Unitarians
    Surely the explanation will be that "it just exploded all by itself, and then sank whilst being towed away in a storm".
    Just realised what happened.

Fire.... flint makes fire. Flint knappers? Flint knappers who travel around the world. Flint knappers with multiple identities.....

It is a Konspiracy by NATO!

Flint knappers, who are pretending to be anti-woke to penetrate Our Precious Vital Motherland are actually, secretly NATO Woke Flint Knapper Sabbotagists
    Carnyx said:

Oh dear. Mr J doing his usual thing in a JCB factory. But it's in India. Tactless.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/21/boris-johnson-visits-jcb-plant-india-demolitions-row

'Boris Johnson’s attempt to use his India visit to hail the success of JCB, the digger firm owned by a Tory donor, was met with a backlash on Thursday over the use of its machinery in the mass demolition of homes.

[...]

TV footage about the demolition controversy, running prominently on Indian channels, showed JCB bulldozers being used to flatten properties.'

This sounds highly confected.
    Or at the very most, a mistake by the diplomatic corp.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

You went to St. Andrews and were unaware of the fact? Is that common?

From what I have seen of their undergraduates....
    Just a note to @MattW about GDP figures (last thread).

You forgot to deflate by population growth.

The UK has moderately high population growth, so the figures flatter to deceive. Once you deflate (you have to make a reasonable assumption on how) - and thereby get per capita figures, UK comes out bottom.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

So I’ve booked two nights in Barcelona (at different hotels which is a bit annoying but worked out much cheaper than any two night offer I could see). I thought I needed a whole day there if I’m going to get myself properly mugged!

Do you have the option of cancelling the second one if you get your mugging in early?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited April 2022
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-21/trust-parents-to-make-decisions-on-smacking-children

Zahawi appeals to the Tory members.

Obviously it’s batshit insane that, in 2022, the law has no problem with adults assaulting kids, but, you know, there’s shortly gonna be a vacancy and Zahawi knows his audience…

Probably value @ 25/1
    edited April 2022
    DavidL said:

Puts a whole new spin on Mlle. Corday’s motives.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

I overheard some people discussing Boris this morning in a cafe on the Upper East Side.

They think he’s an idiot, with stupid hair, and that his Churchillian act in Ukraine is pathetic.

I’ve heard this before in the USA. Partygate doesn’t travel. The way I’ve tried to explain it before is that he’s lied to the House of Commons which is akin perhaps to lying under oath to a Court of Law.

But for the future history books, the idea of Johnson skulking off in disgrace for lying about some not-very-good parties... that's satisfying. Party because truth matters, but mostly because it would be a stupid end to a stupid premiership.
  • I think it will be over for Boris by the 31st May

Everything is going pear shape and his mps are waking up

Indeed if I did bet I would put a tenner on it
    edited April 2022

But for the future history books, the idea of Johnson skulking off in disgrace for lying about some not-very-good parties... that's satisfying. Party because truth matters, but mostly because it would be a stupid end to a stupid premiership.
    I feel like the mood has changed again this week. I feel like he’s going to struggle to survive the year.

Which is good, because I don’t want him to be PM in a “London Bridge” event. Call me old fashioned, but he’s not up to it.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

Carnyx said:

[...]

This sounds highly confected.
    Or at the very most, a mistake by the diplomatic corp.
    Does that mean he was ambushed by a confection?
  • DavidL said:

Puts a whole new spin on Mlle. Corday’s motives.

Well he got the point if nobody else did.
    edited April 2022
    Spain has sent a ship with 20 armored vehicles and "200 tons of ammunition and other materials" for🇺🇦Ukraine, Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sánchez announced during his visit in Kyiv.

"We want this war to end with Ukrainian victory," he said.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1517160057884008448

Good for him.
    Though where are they sending the ship ?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

Spain has sent a ship with 20 armored vehicles and "200 tons of ammunition and other materials" for🇺🇦Ukraine, Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sánchez announced during his visit in Kyiv.

Where is it gonna dock?
  • Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    Though where are they sending the ship ?

Poland?
    NEW: Labour's motion to refer Boris Johnson to the Commons privileges' committee to investigate whether he is in contempt of parliament has passed on a nod. The next chapter of the Partygate saga begins,
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1517165156941418497
  • ping said:

Nigelb said:

Where is it gonna dock?
    Gdansk ?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

I'm hoping he's fine and finishing sentences midway is just a bad hobbit he's got into.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited April 2022
    I see Boris just had a Corbynesque 'Can we talk about X?' style whinge when getting questions from the media about things he'd rather not talk about.

I won't say the mood has changed, since we've had times like this before, but he'd definitely struggling to cover up his annoyance with his usual demeanour.
  • mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Could be.

An interesting thought. It would certainly suggest more awareness of being watched.
    It's far more likely that he knows he can't get the buggers out without disproportionate losses.

Putin doesn't care how many he kills or who is watching.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335

Hinge and bracket.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    mwadams said:

Isn't she good? Fearless. A definite upgrade on Laura C whose friendship with Johnson shone through her every interview
    So Conservative MPs have to wrestle with the fact there’ll be no end to the matter. Indeed there are now three separate investigations into partygate which involve the PM with room left to run.

1) Met Police which could yet return more fines
    2) Sue Gray
    3) Commons investigation
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1517165851312635909
    Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt
    And now 🇷🇺 state TV talks about “war against Europe and the world” once the operation against 🇺🇦 has been concluded. Without mercy.

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1517043310069702661

===

Bleak, if this represents Putin's thinking. We are slipping towards all out war in europe I am afraid to say.

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Could be.

It's far more likely that he knows he can't get the buggers out without disproportionate losses.

Putin doesn't care how many he kills or who is watching.
    That was my starting point.
    Scott_xP said:

So Conservative MPs have to wrestle with the fact there’ll be no end to the matter. Indeed there are now three separate investigations into partygate which involve the PM with room left to run.

1) Met Police which could yet return more fines
    2) Sue Gray
    3) Commons investigation
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1517165851312635909

What...No Wallpapergate?

I think it will be over for Boris by the 31st May

Everything is going pear shape and his mps are waking up

Indeed if I did bet I would put a tenner on it

I have a few quid on him gone by June.

But I am not very optimistic, although the Steve Baker intervention is an interesting sign all is not going well for the greasy piglet.
  • ping said:

Nigelb said:

Where is it gonna dock?
    Gdansk ?
    Romania?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,611
    DavidL said:

Do you have the option of cancelling the second one if you get your mugging in early?
    If you are in the Barcelona area - have you considered taking the Renfe and listing some of the coastal towns? Mataro is very nice.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'll be there, work commitments permitting.
    ping said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-21/trust-parents-to-make-decisions-on-smacking-children

Obviously it’s batshit insane that, in 2022, the law has no problem with adults assaulting kids, but, you know, there’s shortly gonna be a vacancy and Zahawi knows his audience…

Probably value @ 25/1

He looks like the sort of person who would like smacking children
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

I like to think it is his reference to a great Monty Python gag.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

He looks like the sort of person who would like smacking children
    I hold no brief for Nadhim Zahawi, who has gone native to the drunken idiots of the DfE faster than an anthropologist studying a new tribe, but that's a pretty outrageous thing to say.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt
    And now 🇷🇺 state TV talks about “war against Europe and the world” once the operation against 🇺🇦 has been concluded. Without mercy.

===

Bleak, if this represents Putin's thinking. We are slipping towards all out war in europe I am afraid to say.

Escalation to a NATO country guarantees the end of Russia so it won't happen
    Pulpstar said:

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt

===

Escalation to a NATO country guarantees the end of Russia so it won't happen
    You sure Vlad hasn't lost his mind and is happy to go down taking everything else with him?

I'm not.
  • DavidL said:

If you are in the Barcelona area - have you considered taking the Renfe and listing some of the coastal towns? Mataro is very nice.
    Thanks, I haven’t really considered anything yet. I only decided to come here three and a half hours ago! But I’ve only got two nights left after Barcelona so I’ll probably head back closer to Girona for them.
  • If Johnson had just apologised and hadn't lied this would have gone months ago.

Of course his cheerleaders here do him no favours.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Very good poll for the CDU in Schleswig Holstein (8th May):

https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1517009250190606336

Very popular CDU ministerpräsident here.

Sonntagsfrage zur Landtagswahl in Schleswig-Holstein (#ltwsh) • Infratest dimap / NDR: CDU 38 % | SPD 20 % | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 9 % | AfD 6 % | SSW 4 % | Sonstige 7 %

CDU+FDP would get a majority on this poll.

On the flipside, the SPD is still doing well in NRW though (15th May) where the SPD and Greens could still scrape a majority.
This discussion has been closed.