Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Locals 2022: An invitation to PBers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt
    And now 🇷🇺 state TV talks about “war against Europe and the world” once the operation against 🇺🇦 has been concluded. Without mercy.

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1517043310069702661

===

Bleak, if this represents Putin's thinking. We are slipping towards all out war in europe I am afraid to say.

Like the drunk oaf in a pub fight who looks up through his bleeding swollen eyes and yells “I’ll take you all on”.

Mate, you can’t even beat up the streak of piss teen you kicked off with.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Danielle Paquette
    @DPAQreport
    ·
    5h
    People are rallying for Putin in West Africa, where Moscow-friendly propaganda and disinfo are exploding.

We traced the social media diet of one Burkinabe man who made an outfit with Russian flags. On his phone: Putin is "the Jesus of modern times."

https://twitter.com/DPAQreport/status/1517097016865832960
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

If Johnson had just apologised and hadn't lied this would have gone months ago.

Of course his cheerleaders here do him no favours.

As someone said upthread, it was his fake anger about Allegra Stratton sealed his fate.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited April 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

Is anyone else concerned that OGH seems to have dropped dead halfway through writing the header, just as he is about to name the murderer increasing political imp?

I'm hoping he's fine and finishing sentences midway is just a bad hobbit he's got into.
    Very good. Made me smile.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    ping said:

Nigelb said:

Spain has sent a ship with 20 armored vehicles and "200 tons of ammunition and other materials" for🇺🇦Ukraine, Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sánchez announced during his visit in Kyiv.

"We want this war to end with Ukrainian victory," he said.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1517160057884008448

Where is it gonna dock?
    Germany. And get to Ukraine in, oh, about 8 years.....
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

As someone said upthread, it was his fake anger about Allegra Stratton sealed his fate.
    She didn't do anything wrong. Just mocking the nonsense of it all. One should ask if she could see it as could the spads throwing the questions at her, why couldn't Boris?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

The ones in the press aren't helping much, either
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jack Detsch @JackDetsch

NEW: Ukraine has more tanks available in country than Russia, thanks to European deliveries of Soviet-era T-72 tanks: senior defense official

U.S. has NO tanks to give Ukraine because [Ukraine] military is using Soviet-era equipment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

I overheard some people discussing Boris this morning in a cafe on the Upper East Side.

Admittedly a rather niche demographic.

They think he’s an idiot, with stupid hair, and that his Churchillian act in Ukraine is pathetic.
    On the other hand they can’t understand why a “party” could be the end of him.

I’ve heard this before in the USA. Partygate doesn’t travel. The way I’ve tried to explain it before is that he’s lied to the House of Commons which is akin perhaps to lying under oath to a Court of Law.

But for the future history books, the idea of Johnson skulking off in disgrace for lying about some not-very-good parties... that's satisfying. Party because truth matters, but mostly because it would be a stupid end to a stupid premiership.
    I feel like the mood has changed again this week. I feel like he’s going to struggle to survive the year.

Which is good, because I don’t want him to be PM in a “London Bridge” event. Call me old fashioned, but he’s not up to it.
    Could be worse. If the Minister for Instagram gets the gig...
  • Options

Jack Detsch @JackDetsch

NEW: Ukraine has more tanks available in country than Russia, thanks to European deliveries of Soviet-era T-72 tanks: senior defense official

U.S. has NO tanks to give Ukraine because [Ukraine] military is using Soviet-era equipment.

Slovenia is about to send some more T-72s apparently.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-21/trust-parents-to-make-decisions-on-smacking-children

Zahawi appeals to the Tory members.

Obviously it’s batshit insane that, in 2022, the law has no problem with adults assaulting kids, but, you know, there’s shortly gonna be a vacancy and Zahawi knows his audience…

Probably value @ 25/1

He looks like the sort of person who would like smacking children
    I hold no brief for Nadhim Zahawi, who has gone native to the drunken idiots of the DfE faster than an anthropologist studying a new tribe, but that's a pretty outrageous thing to say.
    Shocking comment to make
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Jack Detsch @JackDetsch

Slovenia is about to send some more T-72s apparently.
    What's the betting that various countries in the EU are going to get deliveries of shiny M1 tanks, just out of rebuild at the Lima tank plant.

For those who don't know, providing sufficient work for the Lima tank plant in the US to keep it running continuously has been a political issue. Using the output of the plant to repay allies for sending tanks to Ukraine would be smart politics by Biden.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I overheard some people discussing Boris this morning in a cafe on the Upper East Side.

They think he’s an idiot, with stupid hair, and that his Churchillian act in Ukraine is pathetic.

I’ve heard this before in the USA. Partygate doesn’t travel. The way I’ve tried to explain it before is that he’s lied to the House of Commons which is akin perhaps to lying under oath to a Court of Law.

But for the future history books, the idea of Johnson skulking off in disgrace for lying about some not-very-good parties... that's satisfying. Party because truth matters, but mostly because it would be a stupid end to a stupid premiership.
    I feel like the mood has changed again this week. I feel like he’s going to struggle to survive the year.

Which is good, because I don’t want him to be PM in a “London Bridge” event. Call me old fashioned, but he’s not up to it.
    I have reached the conclusion that even Truss would be an improvement on Johnson.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    In Russia, the Dmitrievsky chemical plant in the city of Kineshma is on fire.

It is the largest Russian manufacturer of chemical solvents. Kineshma is located 950 km from the Ukrainian border. https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1517158013815074820/video/1
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-21/trust-parents-to-make-decisions-on-smacking-children

Obviously it’s batshit insane that, in 2022, the law has no problem with adults assaulting kids, but, you know, there’s shortly gonna be a vacancy and Zahawi knows his audience…

Probably value @ 25/1

I hold no brief for Nadhim Zahawi, who has gone native to the drunken idiots of the DfE faster than an anthropologist studying a new tribe, but that's a pretty outrageous thing to say.
    A lack of imagination on your part. If you were casting a cruel schoolmaster for Roald Dahl's Matilda for example who liked smacking children Zahawi would get the part without a recall. I appreciate your virtue signalling. I know it's a thing on here. Are you standing in for Big_ G?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Scott_xP said:

So Conservative MPs have to wrestle with the fact there’ll be no end to the matter. Indeed there are now three separate investigations into partygate which involve the PM with room left to run.

1) Met Police which could yet return more fines
    2) Sue Gray
    3) Commons investigation
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1517165851312635909

By trying to kick everything into the long grass he's ended up stretching the issue out for months.

As an aside I'm beginning to see why the Met's crime clear up rate is so low. Even as a hight priority case it's taking months for them to figure out who attended a couple of parties. I reckon most burglers in London can sleep easily in their beds.

A final thought to those who believe that we can't chuck Johnson out now because of Ukraine. It seems to me that for several months now Johnson's lies and antics have been a huge distraction to the serious issues the government is faced with. The sooner he goes the sooner the government can try to get on with some of things that really matter.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

A lack of imagination on your part. If you were casting a cruel schoolmaster for Roald Dahl's Matilda for example who liked smacking children Zahawi would get the part without a recall. I appreciate your virtue signalling. I know it's a thing on here. Are you standing in for Big_ G?
    He does not need to

You make a slur against a politician about children with no evidence, and frankly you should withdraw it
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

No, I'm saying that accusing somebody of being a paedarastic sadist is an outrageous thing to say. Moreover, given it's actually libellous it might get the site into trouble.

That's a statement of fact, not virtue signalling. The mere fact you don't like it is your problem.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

It is the largest Russian manufacturer of chemical solvents. Kineshma is located 950 km from the Ukrainian border. https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1517158013815074820/video/1

Fighting fire (missiles & artillery) with fire (less-than-spontaneous) combustion?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Any dangerous NATO flint knappers spotted in the vicinity?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Is anyone else concerned that OGH seems to have dropped dead halfway through writing the header, just as he is about to name the murderer increasing political imp?

I'm hoping he's fine and finishing sentences midway is just a bad hobbit he's got into.
    You are saying that OGH is halfling his sentences?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

No, I'm saying that accusing somebody of being a paedarastic sadist is an outrageous thing to say. Moreover, given it's actually libellous it might get the site into trouble.

That's a statement of fact, not virtue signalling. The mere fact you don't like it is your problem.
    Leave it. Given @Woger's list of "hills to die in defence of" it is probably meritorious to be assailed by him.
  • Options
    Ukraine now has more tanks in the field that Russia reports Jack Detsch.

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,204

Foxy said:

I have reached the conclusion that even Truss would be an improvement on Johnson.
    When was the last time a primeminister surprised on the upside? More beloved on leaving the job than starting it?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    mwadams said:

I didn't notice this come by earlier, but according to the BBC "Vladimir Putin orders his troops not to storm the Azovstal steel plant, where the last group of Ukrainian fighters in Mariupol is holding out [but to blockade it instead]"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61157670

When two "or else" deadlines pass, and then you don't carry through your threat, you'd have to assume that this means they consider that storming it would be unsuccessful - not merely wasteful of Russian troops' lives, as they haven't been too picky about that up to now.

The question is whether there is any hope of resupply of those holding out?

That isn't the only assumption. It has been previously mentioned by the hold outs that they have civilians with them, including (according to some accounts) women and children. Typically the media hasn't had much to say about why civilians might be there, if not as human shields. The Russians can't bomb the place to ashes without killing these people.
  • Options
    🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

"Can work w/ leaders" Starmer +1
    "Strong leader" Starmer +3
    "Knows how to get things done" Starmer +4
    "Stands up 4 UK" Starmer +5
    "Build strong economy" Starmer +6
    "Represents change" Starmer +10
    "Cares 4 ppl like me" Starmer +15
    "In good health" Starmer +21

Johnson is dead
  • Options
    A PBer several days ago commented (I paraphrase) that Anthony Albanese was as gaffe prone as Joe Biden.

Seems that Oz PM is taking the gaffe competition VERY seriously:

ABC.net.au - Scott Morrison apologises for offence from comment about being 'blessed' not to have children with disability

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-21/scott-morrison-criticised-disability-comments-leaders-debate/101004108
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

I'm sure everyone appreciates your concern.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

"The whole House will, I am sure, join me in expressing great sadness at her Majesty's passing and will of course recall that she always said that I was the Prime Minister who most reminded her of Churchill."
    "And errr, I hope my right honourable friends will agree that the best way to honour, um, the Queens passing is by stopping the frivolous investigations on the hard working staff at err, number ten, to allow us focus on what she really would have wanted, for me to make Britain truly great again."
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

When was the last time a primeminister surprised on the upside? More beloved on leaving the job than starting it?
    Home? Everyone thought he was a complete no-hoper who had no chance at all, he barely even had a public profile, and yet somehow he ran Wilson very close in 1964.
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

In which case the lead for "In good health" should be higher.
    To be fair he is just talking on Sky from India
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt
    And now 🇷🇺 state TV talks about “war against Europe and the world” once the operation against 🇺🇦 has been concluded. Without mercy.

===

Bleak, if this represents Putin's thinking. We are slipping towards all out war in europe I am afraid to say.

Like the drunk oaf in a pub fight who looks up through his bleeding swollen eyes and yells “I’ll take you all on”.

I have seen this happen and, very embarrassing to say, was that person once (Pub Mont Fort Verbier after [more than] a few sherberts many years ago). Without the bleeding swollen eyes, that said.

I can tell you that people leave you the fuck alone because they think you are mad. And, being off your face drunk, you sort of are.

Putin-wise that is not a good analogy.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    Scott_xP said:

It may just be the camera angle,, and that a lot more is off to the left, but I'd expect the largest Russian manufacturer of chemical solvents to look rather bigger than that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Olaf Scholz intervenes in the French election, in English.

@OlafScholz
    The choice that the French people are facing is critical – for #France and for #Europe.
    It is the choice between a democratic candidate, who believes that France grows in a powerful #EU. And a far-right candidate, who openly sides with those attacking our freedom and #democracy.

https://twitter.com/OlafScholz/status/1517172518712446977
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

Yebbut fuck it do all choices have to be like that?

Appositely, and I am now reading

I nodded. The argument was familiar. I had even made it myself, here and there, but I was beginning to sense something very depressing about it. How many more of these goddamn elections are we going to have to write off as lame but ‘regrettably necessary’ holding actions? And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

I have been through three presidential elections, now, but it has been twelve years since I could look at a ballot and see a name I wanted to vote for. In 1964, I refused to vote at all, and in ’68 I spent half a morning in the county courthouse getting an absentee ballot so I could vote, out of spite, for Dick Gregory.

Hunter S Thompson 1972
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps major fires at strategically important sites are a frequent occurrence in Russia and we are only noticing them due to current tensions. Or ...
  • Options

"The whole House will, I am sure, join me in expressing great sadness at her Majesty's passing and will of course recall that she always said that I was the Prime Minister who most reminded her of Churchill."
    "And errr, I hope my right honourable friends will agree that the best way to honour, um, the Queens passing is by stopping the frivolous investigations on the hard working staff at err, number ten, to allow us focus on what she really would have wanted, for me to make Britain truly great again."
    I mean these are spoofs, but sadly Johnson simply cannot be trusted not to make the Queen’s passing all about him.

Indeed; he can’t be trusted to even dress properly for such a solemn occasion. He has not bothered to previously where some gravity or sobriety is required.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

I mean these are spoofs, but sadly Johnson simply cannot be trusted not to make the Queen’s passing all about him.

Indeed; he can’t be trusted to even dress properly for such a solemn occasion. He has not bothered to previously where some gravity or sobriety is required.
    I disagree. Doing something, the protocol for which has been established down to each footstep by each participant, is exactly, perhaps the only thing he is good for. It is when he has to make POLICY DECISIONS, especially tricky ones, that he falls flat.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Nigelb said:

Spain has sent a ship with 20 armored vehicles and "200 tons of ammunition and other materials" for🇺🇦Ukraine, Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sánchez announced during his visit in Kyiv.

"We want this war to end with Ukrainian victory," he said.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1517160057884008448

Good for him.
    Though where are they sending the ship ?

Poland?
    Slow way to deliver…
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps major fires at strategically important sites are a frequent occurrence in Russia and we are only noticing them due to current tensions. Or ...
    Accident? Fifth column? False flag?
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

In which case the lead for "In good health" should be higher.
    It will go higher. 20 point lead nailed on.
  • Options
    Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    7m
    Former minister Sir Bob Neill hints he'll withdraw support from Boris Johnson if there are worse revelations about Partygate, telling
    @BBCPM
    : 'No-one is indispensable - there will be a Conservative Party before or after any leader'
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    Scott_xP said:

Has this been shared too?

"Russian military research facility in Tver, Russia is on fire. Multiple are dead and injured. This facility develops SAMs and ballistic missiles."

https://twitter.com/spook_info/status/1517150043190427650

Bit of a coincidence. They are possible. Makes you wonder though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I disagree. Doing something, the protocol for which has been established down to each footstep by each participant, is exactly, perhaps the only thing he is good for. It is when he has to make POLICY DECISIONS, especially tricky ones, that he falls flat.
    No, he can’t do what you think he can.
    For a start, he can’t represent the country properly, unless Britain really is some kind of tawdry second-rate clown routine.

He’s also a terrible speech-maker, usually substance free and full of semi-comic non-sequiturs.

He is charismatic because he’s essentially a Falstaffian figure of fun, but it’s time the country went Henry IV Part 2 on his ass.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    edited April 2022
    TOPPING said:

He does have a tendency to go a tad "off piste" if it enters his head, though. Whatever you think of HMtQ it would be unfortunate if her funeral was marred by a Peppa Pig World ramble
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Late afternoon all :)

I'm hoping to be at the Smarkets event - excellent hospitality and a very enjoyable evening last time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61179640

I look forward to the Daily Mail urging civil servants to work at home where apparently they are doing nothing as a way of stopping Putin.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

Olaf Scholz intervenes in the French election

....... but not in Ukraine.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Pro_Rata said:

Shirely not?
  • Options

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

He does not need to

You make a slur against a politician about children with no evidence, and frankly you should withdraw it
    ....don't worry just dust yourself down and go heavy on the smelling salts and you'll feel better in no time
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810

mwadams said:

I didn't notice this come by earlier, but according to the BBC "Vladimir Putin orders his troops not to storm the Azovstal steel plant, where the last group of Ukrainian fighters in Mariupol is holding out [but to blockade it instead]"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61157670

When two "or else" deadlines pass, and then you don't carry through your threat, you'd have to assume that this means they consider that storming it would be unsuccessful - not merely wasteful of Russian troops' lives, as they haven't been too picky about that up to now.

The question is whether there is any hope of resupply of those holding out?

That isn't the only assumption. It has been previously mentioned by the hold outs that they have civilians with them, including (according to some accounts) women and children. Typically the media hasn't had much to say about why civilians might be there, if not as human shields. The Russians can't bomb the place to ashes without killing these people.
    This particular pro-Russian spin cannot be dismissed completely, though it seems far more likely that, the rest of the town having been bombed to crap, and the port and steel works area having been spared the bombing somewhat, that civilians - who may know the plant well from relatives who worked there, have been displaced there from other parts of Mariupol.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Shirely not?
    It doesn't Ring true, does it?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Home? Everyone thought he was a complete no-hoper who had no chance at all, he barely even had a public profile, and yet somehow he ran Wilson very close in 1964.
    Tricky to answer, because if a PM is beloved, they tend not to leave.

Related question: how do we regard PMs once the dust has started to settle? Major and Blair feel like they have a better reputation now than they did in 1997 and 2007 respectively. Cameron rather worse, I reckon. Thatcher divides as much as she always did. Brown and May... too early to tell?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1411942926045831169/photo/1
  • Options
    Politico.com - Yellen, other officials bolt G-20 meeting in protest against Russia
    Treasury officials had said the secretary may skip some meetings if Russia attends.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/20/yellen-g20-meeting-russian-minister-speaks-00026592
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

He does have a tendency to go a tad "off piste" if it enters his head, though. Whatever you think of HMtQ it would be unfortunate if her funeral was marred by a Peppa Pig World ramble
    Mr Johnson does like an impromptu jest to add to the gaiety of any discourse, generally speaking.
  • Options
    Finding pro-Boris Twitter hilarious at the moment, not least because the people they most remind me of are the uber-Corbynistas. “Polls are manipulated by the MSM and can’t be trusted!” - “No one cares if he (ate some cake/held a wreath)”.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited April 2022

A PBer several days ago commented (I paraphrase) that Anthony Albanese was as gaffe prone as Joe Biden.

ABC.net.au - Scott Morrison apologises for offence from comment about being 'blessed' not to have children with disability

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-21/scott-morrison-criticised-disability-comments-leaders-debate/101004108

Is this not just clumsy rather than offensive? Intent matters.
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

You do know this is from 2021?

Are you okay?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

Starmer was excellent today, I thought. Sensible and principled. I would be tempted to vote for him
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

Starmer was excellent today, I thought. Sensible and principled. I would be tempted to vote for him
    BJO is so out of ideas he's posting polls from a YEAR AGO!
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

That is a July 2021 poll. there have of course been no material political developments since then.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

BJO is so out of ideas he's posting polls from a YEAR AGO!
    Hah. Serves me right for not checking. But still think the general point stands
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt

===

I have seen this happen and, very embarrassing to say, was that person once (Pub Mont Fort Verbier after [more than] a few sherberts many years ago). Without the bleeding swollen eyes, that said.

I can tell you that people leave you the fuck alone because they think you are mad. And, being off your face drunk, you sort of are.

That’s sweet using any pub in Verbier as a measuring stick - having spent a lot of time there there is nobody in there who could wrestle their way out of a paper bag. The Mont Fort especially unless James Blunt is going to attack you with his guitar.

My analogy was based on actually having seen - in pubs from London to Ludlow (on Saturday afternoons weirdly) f-ing idiot wannabe hard men kicking off with someone smaller than them, ending up on the wrong end of a shoeing and still thinking they can take on everyone else in the pub - even the really hard quiet guys sitting in the corner trying to enjoy a pint.

So clearly in your experience it’s not a good analogy - in mine it works fine. Such is life 🤷🏼‍♂️.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

I think she's alive, so any kind of funeral for her would be much more worrying than any particular thing said at it.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in "after you, Claude" news...

Exclusive - Senior Tory MP @SteveBakerHW urges the Cabinet to 'do their duty' and force out Boris Johnson.

Speaking after his Commons intervention against the PM, he tells @MailOnline that it's up to ministers to inform Boris 'it's over'

But (in some better news for the PM) after Baker played a key role in the fall of David Cameron and Theresa May, he says he isn't gunning for a hat-trick of deposed premiers.

He says he's he'd had enough of being 'the lieutenant in the trenches doing all the s*** jobs' and called on Cabinet ministers to instead 'rise to this moment'

https://twitter.com/GregHeffer/status/1517186427582398466

https://t.co/lFzDlDBTDk
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

Have you omitted anything?
  • Options
    The Apprentice (US knockoff) Redux

Politico.com - Trump campaign is ordered to pay $1.3 million for Omarosa legal fees
    The arbitrator's award came after a three-year battle between the former president and his onetime aide over a nondisclosure agreement.

The Trump campaign has been ordered by an arbitrator to pay more than $1.3 million in attorney fees for Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former White House staffer and “Apprentice” star, who wrote a scathing account of her time in the White House, following a yearslong legal battle over a nondisclosure agreement.

A person familiar with Trump’s legal plans told POLITICO, “We are going to challenge the award in court.”

Former President Donald Trump brought a legal action against Manigault Newman over remarks she made while appearing on “Celebrity Big Brother” and accounts from her book, “Unhinged: An Insider’s Account of the Trump White House,” and he contended she was in violation of a nondisclosure agreement she signed during the 2016 campaign.

Manigault Newman made secret recordings of conversations while working at the White House, and in her book detailed behind-the-scenes interactions with the president, the Trump family and senior staff. The first tell-all to come out of the Trump White House, it described Trump as a “racist” and made observations about unseemly behavior behind closed doors.

The arbitrator, T. Andrew Brown, ruled last September that the nondisclosure agreement Trump and his campaign required Manigault Newman to sign was too sweeping to be legally enforceable. Under the language in the agreement, almost any fact about Trump or his family members that he wanted to keep secret was presumptively confidential.

“The information that is supposed to be protected under the Agreement is not spelled out, but is rather left to the subjective determination of one person,” Brown wrote. “Consequently, there would be no way for Respondent to know if she was in breach of the Agreement.”

Brown’s ruling voiding the nondisclosure agreement tracked with a similar decision in March 2021 from a federal judge in New York who concluded that a similar Trump campaign agreement was too vague to apply.

Under the terms of the campaign’s agreement, the prevailing party in any arbitration arising from the agreement would be entitled to his or her attorneys’ fees. Brown concluded that Manigault Newman was the victor in the dispute and, therefore, entitled to recoup her legal fees and litigation costs. . . .

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/20/trump-campaign-is-ordered-to-pay-1-3-million-for-omarosa-legal-fees-00026727

• Options

Is this not just clumsy rather than offensive? Intent matters.
    To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, a gaffe is a gaffe is a gaffe. Especially when it's on the campaign trail.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    edited April 2022
    Roger said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

He does not need to

....don't worry just dust yourself down and go heavy on the smelling salts and you'll feel better in no time
    On this theme, could I nominate Priti as cabinet member most likely to own a Dalmation puppy skin coat, and Johnson to win the Worzel Gummidge lookalike contest?
  • Options

🇬🇧Johnson v Starmer

Johnson is dead

Have you omitted anything?
    "Winds up BJO" Starmer +1000000000000000000000
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    edited April 2022

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Tricky to answer, because if a PM is beloved, they tend not to leave.

Related question: how do we regard PMs once the dust has started to settle? Major and Blair feel like they have a better reputation now than they did in 1997 and 2007 respectively. Cameron rather worse, I reckon. Thatcher divides as much as she always did. Brown and May... too early to tell?
    Theresa May has risen imo. She often comes across as the voice of sanity questioning Boris from the backbenches, perhaps aided by his having purged most other former ministers or elder statesmen, as well as by the contrast with Boris's own style.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    Christ. JFK is a toilet
  • Options
    Farooq said:

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

I think she's alive, so any kind of funeral for her would be much more worrying than any particular thing said at it.
    At least she has achieved the ultimate accolade. Just the present for a Queen who has everything.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-been-transformed-barbie-doll-23742658

'Queen Elizabeth II joins the line-up of Barbie’s Tribute Collection, which was launched last year in celebration of “visionary individuals with an outstanding impact and legacy within society”. The Barbie Queen is presented in a box inspired by the styles of Buckingham Palace, made from a 3D ornate die-cut border framing the figure, and an inner panel showing the throne and the red carpet of the throne room.'
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

He does not need to

On this theme, could I nominate Priti as cabinet member most likely to own a Dalmation puppy skin coat, and Johnson to win the Worzel Gummidge lookalike contest?
    Happy memories of Michael Foot and his smart pilot jacket which QEtQM no less liked. Mr Foot would definitely lose that competition by comparison with Mr J.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Yep not great. Terminal 7 I take it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Welcome!
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Terminal 8. It’s like an aspiring provincial airport in South Africa
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    France, Ipsos-Sopra Steria poll:

Presidential run-off election

Macron (EC-RE): 57.5% (+1)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 42.5% (-1)

(+/- vs. 18-20 April 2022)

Fieldwork: 21 April 2022
    Sample size: 1,600

I expect Macron to win by 59-41 now but I still agree that 60%+ is a value bet even now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Thank the Lord you are NOT at La Guardia OR Newark.

Sad that JFK and LGA were allegedly named in honor of martyred president and best mayor NYC ever had.

Note the Little Flower was a pioneer aviator who fought with US Army Air Force (or whatever they were called then) in Italy during WW1.

He once observed (I paraphrase) that he was great re: take-offs and actual flying. But landings? Not so good!

Luckily the Italian's detailed a highly-skilled pilot to fly his plane, with FLaG as observer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Yes, it's horrible. The lounges are shit too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

To be fair he’s been dead for nearly 60 years.

I’m not surprised he looks like a toilet.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Terminal 8. It’s like an aspiring provincial airport in South Africa
    Thought the two airports I visited in S.Africa were quite nice. Perhaps not provincial.
  • Options

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Appropriate for a man who was a bit of a shit when he was alive.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

So teams, what can we rename in Boris Johnson's memory?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    boulay said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt

===

That’s sweet using any pub in Verbier as a measuring stick - having spent a lot of time there there is nobody in there who could wrestle their way out of a paper bag. The Mont Fort especially unless James Blunt is going to attack you with his guitar.

My analogy was based on actually having seen - in pubs from London to Ludlow (on Saturday afternoons weirdly) f-ing idiot wannabe hard men kicking off with someone smaller than them, ending up on the wrong end of a shoeing and still thinking they can take on everyone else in the pub - even the really hard quiet guys sitting in the corner trying to enjoy a pint.

So clearly in your experience it’s not a good analogy - in mine it works fine. Such is life 🤷🏼‍♂️.
    Guys having a quiet pint in the corner are usually really hard?

This sounds like the famous Gary Cooper Fallacy.
  • Options
    ABC.net.au - Anthony Albanese tests positive for COVID
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    Greetings from a weary but determined Estonia. The official outlook is that we are likely to have a pretty "challenging" summer, and the latest expulsion of all Baltic diplomats in St. Petersburg and Pskov underlines the total collapse of relations with Russia. It is quite probable that the border will be closed soon. The entry of Finland into NATO before the end of May will cast the spotlight on this region, and there are concerns about provocations and attacks against the Baltic. But then the performance of the Russian armed forces so far does not inspire the fear it once did.

Estonia is rushing to collect as much help for Ukraine as it can, and many Estonians are individually sending help to the humanitarian effort. Despite the far right EKRE suggesting that "Estonia has passed the capacity for Ukrainian refugees", places are still being found- eg, one of the large ferries that has space for 3000. I may add that there has been something of a backlash against EKRE. They, like Le Pen, are now seen as close to Putin and as a result their support is fading.

The inability to take the final redoubt in Mariupol underlines the challenges the Russians face. Ukraine is beginning to acquire an advantage in tanks(!) and with more NATO kit and training, the defenders are gaining strength. The great question is is that growing fast enough. We still do not know. Yet there are growing signs of serious trouble in Russia. We hear of mutinies and a total collapse of morale.

Putins appearance has been much commented on, and a medical friend of mine does seem to think that he is in some considerable discomfort, so rumours of terminal illness may be real, when you see how he looked. Likewise the mysterious fires in various Russian defence research facilities may be an inside job. Certainly the economic situation in Russia is getting very bad, and the likely forced default will weaken the brittle Russian economy still more. Yet they continue to double down in every aspect of the war: the savagery, the despicable propaganda and the utter hate now being poured over the entire civilised world. I said in a previous post that it feels like Russia is having a massive nervous breakdown, and honestly this fever dream of nuclear nightmares is a profound sickness.

The turning point of the war may be drawing close, and I now wonder what the impact of a clear defeat of the Russia might be. Without a functioning army, would Putin press the button? Will anyone stop him? No one knows. There are rumours of a tactical nuclear strike in Ukraine or even a planned strategic strike, with the UK or the USA mentioned as targets. My own feeling is that although Western intelligence still thinks that the war will go on for some time (and to be fair they also said that Mariupol could hold out for a considerable time which even Putin now concedes), I now think that the Russians may seek to reduce intensity of the war if they can not win in May. Another frozen conflict?
  • Options
    This is the gateway airport for the onetime world capital. Still a great world city

It makes Gatwick look like Singapore Changi

Don’t Americans *like* nice bars with good wine?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Surely a London bus as a minimum?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Something itchy and contagious
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt

===

Guys having a quiet pint in the corner are usually really hard?

This sounds like the famous Gary Cooper Fallacy.
    Which is? (Not heard of it)
  • Options
    . . . meanwhile back at the ranch . . . the Woke worm turns?

https://twitter.com/MalloryMcMorrow/status/1516453738403143681?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

via Politico.com - DEMS RETHINK THEIR ‘CULTURE WAR’ STRATEGY — Whether it’s pandemic restrictions and schools, or critical race theory and political correctness, when it comes to the culture wars raging across America, the right often dances circles around the left. And because of that, many Democrats — particularly those in vulnerable seats — either avoid engaging on those topics altogether or privately beg their colleagues to avoid overly “woke” rhetoric or policy prescriptions they believe could hurt the party politically.

Enter MALLORY MCMORROW, who is turning that conventional wisdom on its head this week.

On Tuesday, the little-known Democratic state senator from suburban Michigan took on a GOP colleague who accused her in a fundraising email of wanting to “groom and sexualize kindergarteners” and teach “that 8-year-olds are responsible for slavery" — just because McMorrow criticized the “Don’t Say Gay”-style proposals gaining steam with the GOP, and backs a robust curriculum on the history of slavery in America.

McMorrow was (understandably) deeply offended by suggestions that she was a “groomer.” (“Groomer,” for those of you who don’t speak 2022, is an adult who befriends children and abuses them sexually.) Her takedown on the chamber floor dripped with righteous indignation as she — speaking as a mother, a Christian and a woman who cares about the mental health of children — defended discussing the history of slavery in schools and ensuring LGBTQ kids don’t feel more marginalized than they already do. . . .

Back in D.C., McMorrow’s speech has triggered a conversation among Democratic strategists about whether it’s a model for how the party can hit back on “culture war” issues. There’s a sense that the right has overreached on issues like abortion and LGBTQ rights, and that in doing so, they’ve provided Dems with an opening in an otherwise grim midterm cycle. Even Democrats who have long argued that the party should avoid hotly partisan culture issues altogether — or focus its energy on pocketbook issues — are starting to see the outlines of a new approach using McMorrow’s playbook.

— Case in point: JAMES CARVILLE, the longtime Democratic strategist who famously said “wokeness is a problem” for Democrats and has blasted his own party for messaging that he described as “faculty lounge bullshit,” told WaPo’s Greg Sargent that McMorrow’s speech was an “enormously effective piece of communication.”

“I’d show this clip as an instructional video,” he quipped. . . .

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2022/04/21/the-democrats-are-going-to-take-care-of-the-son-of-a-bitch-for-us-00026822?cid=hptb_primary_0
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

It's the only airport in the world that makes LAX look good.

Well, maybe not good. Perhaps, shall we say, acceptable.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Lots of options...

The Boris Johnson Garden Bridge

Boris Johnson Thames Estuary Airport

The Boris Johnson Scotland-Northern Ireland Bridge

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Cicero said:

Estonia is rushing to collect as much help for Ukraine as it can, and many Estonians are individually sending help to the humanitarian effort. Despite the far right EKRE suggesting that "Estonia has passed the capacity for Ukrainian refugees", places are still being found- eg, one of the large ferries that has space for 3000. I may add that there has been something of a backlash against EKRE. They, like Le Pen, are now seen as close to Putin and as a result their support is fading.

Apologies for snipping large parts of @Cicero's excellent post, I thought I'd add the latest opinion poll from Estonia which is due to vote next March:

With changes from the 2019 election to the Riigikogu:

Reform Party: 25% (-4)
    Estonia 200: 21% (+17)
    Conservative People's Party 18% (nc)
    Centre Party 16% (-7)
    Social Democrats 9% (-1)
    Pro Patria (Isamaa): 7% (-4)
    Greens: 4% (+2)

The two governing parties (Reform and Centre) polled 52% last time but they are down to 41% in the wake of the advance of Estonia 200. That said, I can't obviously see why Estonia 200 couldn't join the coalition but I suspect it's not that simple.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Very good poll for the CDU in Schleswig Holstein (8th May):

https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1517009250190606336

Very popular CDU ministerpräsident here.

Sonntagsfrage zur Landtagswahl in Schleswig-Holstein (#ltwsh) • Infratest dimap / NDR: CDU 38 % | SPD 20 % | GRÜNE 16 % | FDP 9 % | AfD 6 % | SSW 4 % | Sonstige 7 %

CDU+FDP would get a majority on this poll.

On the flipside, the SPD is still doing well in NRW though (15th May) where the SPD and Greens could still scrape a majority.

@Gary_Burton - you didn't respond to my email. Please could you do so.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Christ. JFK is a toilet

Lots of options...

The Boris Johnson Garden Bridge

Boris Johnson Thames Estuary Airport

The Boris Johnson Scotland-Northern Ireland Bridge

The Garden Bridge, to reflect his role as Mayor of London as well as PM. The posh architectural drawings were all done, so it will not be expensive (!) to have some cheap panels knocked up to put on the river bank at Southwark to commemorate the Bridge.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Probably value @ 25/1

He does not need to

Priti would certainly win my least likely to be a vegetarian.....
This discussion has been closed.